Resource MPL VI - Team & Set Dump Thread

Ticken

Lotad & Bulbasaur Enthusiast
is a Top Tutoris a Tournament Directoris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Top Artistis a Programmeris a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Smogon Media Contributoris a Dedicated Tournament Host
B101 Leader
mpl6-banner.png

MPL VI has concluded with the Hearthome Honchkrows claiming the title! Congrats and well done throughout the whole season.

This is the first major tournament that featured SS Monotype in the lineup and then changed early in the tour with a DLC release at that. With a new meta and releases comes new ideas, techs, and innovation. Please use this thread to highlight any sets you found particularly interesting or metagame defining for BW - SS.

If you plan on posting more than one set, please nest them inside hides! Other than that, get at it! (Just be civil as always, please)

Attribute

HYPNOS | pulp
is a Top Tiering Contributor
Monotype Cup Winner
hi i built some stuff this mpl so here we go

SS Monotype:
i never really built ss mono much before this tour but i wanted to give my own takes on the tier, which started like week 4 or 5 maybe

https://pokepast.es/71d7fce36a77306b Balanced Steel https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8monotype-1165008568
used this in the tb game vs MetaRiolu7. i really wanted to build a team of my own just cause i dont really like getting passed a team and going with it, so i came up with this. after watching some ss games, ive noticed eq immunities dont really exist / aren't often ran so that makes band mold breaker eqs very spammable. as far as corv sets go, pressure + sub bulk up is my favorite and it seemed to fit well on this team so i can sub up on scald mons such as pex. i have a pretty defensive teambuilding mind, so i went ahead and put on heatproof bronzong so i have some fire counterplay, added a skarm since its a solid defensive wall, can deal with dark pretty well and set up spikes, and a ferrothorn to not be absolutely destroyed by dracovish. lastly scarf cob was added for some speed control. i put focus blast on it so i have a chance vs bulk up bewear since i lack special moves to break its sub. as you can see, i dont have an aegi but that's really cause i never really found much purpose for it nor did i think it was a necessity on steel so id be better off using other stuff. there are other versions with this team with jirachi over 1 of skarm / ferro but i didn't use it, so.

https://pokepast.es/7217edd26c63b72e Sub BD Azu (Fairy)
i was tryna find ways for fairy to beat fire consistently since early on in the season it just seemed fire beats it like 70% of the time, so i came up with this set which should make the match up even at the very minimum. the idea is pretty simple, you get the azu in on torkoal and people usually yawn the azu since no one really expects sub and you usually win on the spot once you belly drum since the typical torkoal moveset can't break its sub. i don't think my team used this set cause we didn't get to but ive seen other people use it a couple times in the later weeks of the tournament.

SM Monotype:
i built a lot of sm stuff this tour but didn't get to use most of it so ill just share the stuff we, miniors, actually used. would share the fire teams but there's too many variations of it to share and im lazy, so

https://pokepast.es/c2fd8d9e29daff78 M-LatiAs Psychic https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7monotype-1143840152
used this w3 vs lycan. i wanted to build a psy team around helmet reun since it does excellent vs flying and is the only mon on psychic lessen the annoyance of celesteela sets. i never liked defog latios/latias since i felt like i never got rocks off or accomplished much afterwards so i wanted to use defog mew which can burn or knock stuff off and can check mimikyu pretty well. toxic celebi does well vs electric and i needed rocks so i went with this set (i used a more defensive spread vs lycan though). needed speed control and final gambit on tini seemed pretty cool so i wanted to try that out as well. i had max hp as opposed to max atk in my game but changed it to max atk later to maximize the damage on a +1 porygonz so mews knock + tinis vcreate has a high chance of killing it. the jirachi has shadow ball cause i didn't have much for the mirror and its not necessarily people really expect so the surprise factor is cool. since i don't like defog on latias i just put twave on it instead since paralysis can be abused by this team (2 mons that can set up, and paralysis is generally nice).

https://pokepast.es/c2124e33d38baaa5 M-LatiOs Psychic https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7monotype-1153122916
the second version, and personally my favorite version, of the psychic team i used vs lycan. i was pretty lazy and i really liked the concept of this psy team, so i just changed some things to my liking and decided to bring it vs mateeus. i changed the lati since this lati breaks stuff more and has more coverage, something that is pretty valued in monotype. since i don't have bolt beam on this lati, i put hp ice > psychic on reun. i also had a more defensive spread on celebi when i used this team vs mat.

https://pokepast.es/bf9d8bd29882175b Heatran (Steel)
leru used this vs wanka in their 1st bo3. rocks tran felt like wasted potential since you can put rocks on something else. also, one of the best mons monotype has to offer being subjected to a mere stealth rock role seemed bad, so i decided to go with this set. what can possibly be more annoying than one of the best mons in monotype being behind a sub? sub tran allows you to not have awkward leads vs mega sab dark (you just lead tran and sub up, mega sabs knock can't break your sub), annoy psychic to the absolute max, annoy steel to the absolute max, and the list goes on. its defensive rather than the typical spdef to take band tini hits better, the spdef investment is to live a +1 focus blast from z-celebrate victini, and 220 speed seemed like a pretty good speed tier for this thing.

as for oras, i didn't really do much there until the tb week, but that stuff didn't get used. as for bw, i built a lot surprisingly but im hella saving those lol. cya next mpl

Last edited:

Floss

never forgotten
is a Community Leaderis a Top Tiering Contributor
Monotype Leader
Dropping both s/os and sets dump here because why not,

Had a great time in my first MPL, big thanks to Wanka and LuckyPiper for drafting me and believing in me to work well in SS slots, and of course gave me a ton of support in the form of the SS group we had. While we had a somewhat inconsistent start in SS slots, we ended up finishing pretty strong, so I'm happy with how the SS slots did. It was a wild ride to finals, and I was holding my breath since Week 6 about potentially missing out. Also the team atmosphere was great, especially playing Among Us in the cord.

MetaRiolu7 Bouff adjustments You guys were great to have in SS as both players and building shit. Meta, bouncing ideas off of you especially was pretty important for me, who knows what kind of crazy stuff I'd have made slots use without it (although you did take initiative on the Chople Drampa). Bouff, my man, you put in so much more effort than I expected from a 'tour' player, really did great in terms of testing for prep and making those long notes about matchups. I'd love to team up with you again in a future team tour, as well as keep playing fall guys. adjustments, you had a pretty good go of it for your first time and nabbed some key wins for us against rabbit and gorex, keep grinding and you can definitely take your place in Monotype.

Prosaic taide Crashy martha K3ppr vivalospride Everyone else doing old gens on my teams, you guys were crucial to us making finals. Prosaic, you put a lot of effort into building and testing for SM which I respect a lot, you just got a bit unlucky with matchups at time. Taide, you definitely stepped up big time after Jase cancered and put in a great shift in that ORAS slot, if not for some luck you could've easily gotten a much better record. Crashy, you brought the goods and your great record was especially key to us making playoffs, given that we needed every win we got to hit tiebreak. You did well against established BW players and showed you'll be one of them. Both you and taide were pretty key to the great atmosphere in the cord too. martha, K3, and viv, you guys didn't get to play much, if at all, but your support was great in the cord regardless.

Chaitanya Decem Leru Maki's Fox Trichotomy Cell Jahkem ArkenCiel nomadderwhat RAP Yogurt All the helpers in our team, thanks for coming to our cord and helping out, you guys were also important and your support was greatly appreciated.

I had a great time building in MPL, and got to show off a lot of creative stuff, which could be a mixed bag at times (Palossand and Light Screen Pex being sus options, although was talked out of the latter). Here are some of the sets I especially enjoyed making and using (or others using).

:ss/Marowak-alola:
Marowak-Alola @ Thick Club
Ability: Lightning Rod
EVs: 244 HP / 128 Atk / 136 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Substitute
- Earthquake
- Poltergeist
- Flare Blitz / Swords Dance

At the time I made this set to use on Fire, the type was seen as great to use due to the Watershifu ban, therefore I wanted to incorporate some anti-Fire tech on a Fire team we were planning to use against Miniors in Week 4. The HP EVs let it take a Lava Plume from Torkoal under Sun bar a 1/16 roll, and it had enough Speed EVs to outspeed 0 Spe Incineroar. The point of the set was to use Torkoal as sub fodder and proceed to pop off with strong moves like EQ and Poltergeist. While we did use Flare Blitz, Swords Dance is probably better given that you can set up and just break tanky archetypes like Poison. For the game, Ridley ended up bringing Fire and the set put in a lot of work, being key to the victory. Replay can be seen here. https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8monotype-1149935711

:ss/Cloyster:
Cloyster @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Skill Link
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Icicle Spear
- Rock Blast
- Explosion
- Toxic Spikes

During semifinals, Fairy's stock was high and was seen as the best type in SS. Therefore, despite restricting prep a bit, I avoided having any teams that lose to Fairy. So when we wanted to use Water in semifinals, I wanted to find tech that could prove useful in Fairy and other matchups. Scarf Cloyster is really nice since it can set up unexpected TSpikes (no one goes Hatterene) as well as pop Togekiss from behind a sub if they're not careful. Other matchups that were targeted included Dragon (Sub Kyurem can be bypassed with the same strategy), Normal (TSpikes being generally nice and surprising Heliolisk, especially since Dieu used Volt Switch) and Psychic (Toxic Spikes). In the game it was used in, it managed to OHKO Heliolisk turn 1, which was key to the win. Replay can be seen here. https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/smogtours-gen8monotype-514247

:ss/Toxtricity:
Toxtricity @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Punk Rock
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Volt Switch
- Overdrive
- Boomburst
- Toxic

While this set didn't nab us a win in both games it was used (didn't get matchups it could shine in, although I could've utilised it better against Gama), I liked using it and think it's pretty useful for Poison to have, especially against troublesome Substitute Pokemon like Togekiss and Hydreigon. Volt is a nice pivot move, Overdrive serves as a strong STAB which OHKOes Togekiss, and Boomburst is the strongest move Tox has and would be folly to not include it. Toxic is nice to catch mons like Gastro on the switchin, and hamper its effectiveness to switch into Toxtricity in the long run. Nice to pair with a strong breaker to take advantage of pivoting ability, such as Band Scolipede. Not my game, but Maki's used the same set to great effect in his MLT series against RindaOkami. https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8monotype-1177676867

:ss/Hatterene:
Hatterene (F) @ Heavy-Duty Boots
Ability: Magic Bounce
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Bold Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 30 Spe
- Trick Room
- Calm Mind
- Draining Kiss
- Psychic / Psyshock

Standard Hatterene, Boots to block Toxic Spikes on non Weezing-G variants of Fairy, as well as Psychic.

:klefki: :azumarill: :togekiss: :primarina: :hatterene: :mimikyu:
https://pokepast.es/1f79ff7966654004

Used this team in Semis which corresponded with increasing usage of Fairy. I liked the idea of Prim to strengthen the Water matchup specifically, since Fairy can have a tough time with it otherwise. Boots Hatt is also featured on this team due to lack of Weezing-G making TSpikes a pain. Klefki is standard, apart from TWave over Foul Play which I found cool to catch speedy mons off-guard and enable para-flinching with Togekiss. Got the idea for Sub BD Azu from Attribute, which makes the fire matchup pretty easy to win. Togekiss is a monster and one of the top threats in this tier, the set used is standard now with SubNP and can help greatly in Steel, Poison, and Water MU (Milotics also used this W6). Mimikyu is standard and a nice blanket check for a team with speed control of TWave on Klefki and not much else.

:toxtricity: :salazzle: :toxapex: :weezing-galar: :drapion: :scolipede:
https://pokepast.es/851fa64d229a3079

While I unfortunately didn't win with this team due to a combination of a misplay (not leading Toxtricity) and a bit of hax, this is probably my favourite team in the SS metagame now. Poison is usually built in a more passive way, with the core of Toxapex, Amoonguss, Weezing-G, and a Poison/Dark usually being supplemented by two offensive mons. In tests, I was struggling with Toxtricity + Salazzle and found the team way too passive, unable to break bulkier teams down. While Specs Toxtricity was an option, I found it too slow and it could also get flinched down by Togekiss (no-go). I settled on dropping Amoonguss for Band Scolipede with Superpower, which could break down Normal, Psychic, and provide breaking support against other bulky types. The team has Scarf Salazzle since the lack of Amoonguss means that Excadrill needs to be beaten with Scarf Lazzle, hence the double scarf. Rest of the team is pretty standard, three mons to remove items, especially HDB, in Knock Pex, Knock Drap, and Corrosive Gas Weezing-G. I went with the pair of Levitate G-Weezing and TSpikes Drap to have a switchin to Diggersby clicking EQ, while still having a TSpiker that could pressure Hatterene.

Last edited:

mushamu

God jihyo
is a Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Former Smogon Metagame Tournament Circuit Champion
mainly built ss this mpl so heres some of my stuff. i also built some sm but none of the stuff i built were particularly interesting and mat did the main sm building in our team anyways.
Pre dlc fire:
:torkoal: :cinderace: :salazzle: :charizard: :incineroar: :rotom-heat:
https://pokepast.es/7caaf86151e76278

I typically dislike fire a ton because of waters dominance despite having a lot of good mus but we felt kev wouldnt bring it due to it being too obvious early on in the tour. This team covers pretty much everything else bar ground and fighting which aren't really good anyways. cinder beats normal dark and electric, lazzle punishes stuff like dark/poison extremely well, charizard covers dragon, and other than that the rest of the mus are naturally good for fire due to its nature. At the time subdd disable dpult was huge in mono, so 2 attacks + roar incineroar was something that was used to beat it in the scenario that it was the last mon on the field, with darkest lariat/koff covering each other against sub dragapult depending on which move gets disabled. Roar means salazzle cant set up sub for free against u on poison, and prevents incin from being setup bait due to no status. Lefties allow it to check ghost teams more effectively, especially dddpult, because u keep off rocks p easily in that matchup considering the rotom set and incin having taunt itself. Rotom-heat's really nice for role compression, being a pivot/elec resist/ground immune/breaker/defogger in one with np + defog. 8 speed evs allow it to outspeed adamant crawdaunt and 16 defense evs allow it to live a band aqua jet from full. Scarf will o wisp exists because bisharp can sweep if it is the last mon on the field against incineroar, which is an unlikely scenario but i didn't really have anything better to put on zard since we were essentially tossing the matchups (water and fighting)air slash was good in.

Urshifu elec immuneless webs:
:araquanid: :cloyster: :primarina: :tentacruel: :urshifu: :rotom-wash:
https://pokepast.es/e1bf4341d8b82eef

Post Urshifu version:
:araquanid: :cloyster: :primarina: :tentacruel: :keldeo: :sharpedo:
https://pokepast.es/ef28ffd868e4c4e0

Tried to make Sticky Webs Water work out but ended up dropping Pelipper and Seismitoad to cover more matchups with Rotom-W making Urshifu-Rapid-Strike more reliable and Primarina to beat Poison, Water, and Dragon. Tentacruel is really nice on webs because of fast spin + knock off + toxic spikes for Fairy/Psychic and gets strong sludge bomb to threaten hat from coming in for free. Max speed tenta is a must because it lets it outspeed stuff like indeedee/hydreigon/urshifu naturally and do its job. im convinced seis is horrible on webs as youd much rather use the slot for something else to cover more when one slot is already taken by araquanid, and u can even beat elec without an immune because its just so flimsy. Get cloyster in on alolan raichu and it's forced to stay in to prevent free setup, and after u trade alolan raichu with cloyster u can just go urshifu-rapid strike and clean under webs. Primarina EVs allow it to outspeed urshifu after webs so it doesnt get needlessly chipped against those types especially when ur forgoing draining kiss for moonblast's power. I made another version after urshifu rapid strike got banned with sharpedo as a cleaner with its coverage being able to fuck up poison badly and keldeo as the water/fighting mon, but in hindsight should have included hydro pump/focus blast on keldeo so it could OHKO zeraora at +1. I still think seis is horrible on webs water, u can beat elec fine without it and elec in general is pretty awful anyways.

Encore azu fairy:
:togekiss: :clefable: :klefki: :hatterene: :azumarill: :mimikyu:
https://pokepast.es/c309828f07bdceae

General idea of encore azu is to get it in on something like ferrothorn, corviknight, toxapex, torkoal etc and lock them into their status/setup with encore. this pretty much gives u a free opportunity to click bdrum and go to town. sub is safer against torkoal but leaves u open to the other fat walls. I noticed this team didn't have grimmsnarl so i threw in AV hatterene as a psychic resist and for magic bounce to come in on stuff like specs indeedee, zam, etc while preventing the team from clicking x to hazards. nuzzle punishes the jirachi switch in since most people expect cm which gives togekiss a winpath against psychic. it also lives +1 fire blast from volcarona and psyshock puts it in range for stuff like azumarill and mimikyu to revenge it. Mystical fire punishes scizor that try to come in on it thinking its CM + TR, ferro, and opposing hatterene. Trick sticky barb clef messes up fat waters.

Bronzong + scarf coba steel:
:ferrothorn: :aegislash: :duraludon: :cobalion: :bronzong: :corviknight:
https://pokepast.es/a8b91e4c5ec441ab

Heatproof Zonger became better after DLC dropped because of its ability to switch into and beat a boosted volcarona with rock slide. Heatproof is also nice bc you can use it as a burn switchin against water/poison and it still recovers 3% each turn thanks to leftovers as well as being able to beat subtoxic salazzle against poison, just dont let it get knocked off. It can also keep rocks up super well against poison, being able to 1v1 galarian weezing with psychic as a defogger + not caring about wisp and skuntank does jack shit back to steel bar defogging. Chople body press ferro is for urshifu. Aegis set beats steel mirrors, since a lot of people dont use skarm for a team that doesn't have any hazard removal, being able to come in on ferro, click sub + sd, and not worry about drops against corvi with sacred sword. specs duraludon nukes a ton of stuff, and i prefer it over specs rachi on this team bc it can just drop dracos vs slower dragon mons/vs fire teams, giving u outplay potential between it and scarf cobalion in both matchups. timid is ok too, but modest's power slaps. u turn corviknight is for sub hydreigon mainly, breaking its sub and going to cobalion to beat it while still being able to preserve corv for later.
Didn't really showcase any of these that well but ig sharing the idea behind them is cool:

Pre home magic coat pex:
:ss/toxapex:
Toxapex @ Black Sludge
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Bold Nature
- Magic Coat
- Scald
- Knock Off
- Recover

I like slapping magic coat mons on fatter builds that tend to be more prone to getting steamrolled by hazards. in this case, azumarill didn't exist yet, and i wanted to make a stall, so i used it to keep spikes off from ferro against steel as well as rocks from kommo/duraludon against dragon. mantine was the hazard removal, but is extremely exploitable as ferro still leech seeds it and forces it to roost as well as getting punished by bisharp. Specs Kyurem was also more of a thing back then contrary to the modern day subroost, and i realized that Lapras couldn't check it well if rocks were up due to rest's sleep cycle turns and heavy duty boots not giving it the passive recovery to 1v1 specs freeze dry after it is asleep from rest. knock + scald burns and cripples ferro, and then u can just spam magic coat until its eventually forced to switch due to getting worn down.

Sash kyurem:
:ss/kyurem:
Kyurem @ Focus Sash
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Hasty Nature
- Rock Slide
- Focus Blast
- Draco Meteor
- Freeze-Dry

We spammed a ton of dragon which can get broomed by volcarona so we just used this to rock slide it and beat it after it has set up. Also lets u trade against stuff like scarf hydreigon / dragapult / kingdra that dragon hates. the team had scarf switcheroo noivern which could keep off rocks really well by tricking the scarf onto rockers and then removing in front of them.

Encore salazzle:
:ss/salazzle:
Salazzle (F) @ Black Sludge
Ability: Corrosion
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Flamethrower
- Protect
- Encore
- Toxic

Convinced this is the best salazzle set atm cause encore lets u lock a lot of the sub users that poison hates into setup, including kyurem, togekiss, rotom h, hydreigon, etc. salazzle's bulk isn't great so you're going to have to play aggressively with it for the most part but its nice regardless. Substitute's main merit is being able to excel in the poison mirror to me but i like protect encore otherwise.

Overall building SS this mpl was fun but confusing at the same time because of the new meta drop in DLC 1, and found myself building teams that were just generally good vs 90% of the metagame in the middle weeks due to it being hard to track the new preferences of other teams. definitely a cool experience building in a fresh meta vs building in a more settled one though

Last edited:
Couple ideas I had which I ended up using to decent effect in SS:

Kommo-o @ Focus Sash
Ability: Bulletproof
Jolly Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Endeavor
- Taunt
- Close Combat

This set is cool on dragon because you can lure stuff like scarf moonblast jirachi or hatterene and leave them at 1%. I found it a lot more useful than duraludon on the team I was using.

https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8monotype-1143829497 replay tho it didnt do much

Slowbro-Galar @ Black Sludge
EVs: 248 HP / 144 Def / 60 SpA / 56 Spe
Bold Nature
- Calm Mind
- Psychic
- Flamethrower
- Slack Off

This mon is actually pretty cool on psychic as it can absorb tspikes, lessening pressure on hatterene to magic bounce, and also eats a hit from scolipede. Additionally it does really well vs types such as steel because it can't get toxiced while boosting up.

https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8monotype-1176939171

oras felt pretty stale going into this tour, which challenged me to be a bit more creative than usual. here are a couple of cool things we brought this year:
Alakazam-Mega @ Alakazite
Ability: Magic Guard
Timid Nature
- Psychic
- Focus Blast
- Energy Ball
- Encore / Substitute

ever since the medi ban, mega zam's been one of my favorite pokemon to use on psy. altho i do think garde and gallade are probably better overall, i like what mega zam brings vs some of the top types like flying, water and, most importantly, ground. i usually try to have defensive checks to everything when i build psy, but ground is particularly hard to prep for considering it has way too many threats and it's hard to tell what switches into what at preview. this time around, i wanted to build something offensive for zuku to bring vs decem, and ground / rain were two types we wanted to be prepared for. eball zam completely destroys both of those, while trace helps it be a big threat vs flying. encore is p nice vs things like sub thundy and suicune, while sub is nice vs ground and steel. there is a bit of an opportunity cost to using mega zam as the psy mirror and dark become really tough matchups, but ive been trying things like cb pursuit metagross and signal beam / shadow ball reun to sorta patch the former.
replay
https://pokepast.es/eca57bb53b96067f
crawdaunt's a mon i have a bit of a crush on. ive been tryna build something with this guy for a long time but it always seemed to make my teams worse. for the last week, i wanted arifeen to use something that was fun but also suited his playstyle and seemed good vs the miniors in general, so i revisited the daunt. two ideas i started with were tspikes + band aqua jet crawdaunt and rain + band aqua jet crawdaunt. i couldnt seem to fit tentacruel onto a team w/ daunt and crawdaunt seemed very out of place and momentum killing on pure rain teams. i realized i needed some specific support in order to keep momentum up in the form of eject button slowbro and scarf volt switch rotom. like in my initial idea, i added rain dance swampert to this team since daunt hits like a truck and can easily clean teams up with banded aqua jet under rain. dual twave on bro and rotom seemed cool since i had some slow breakers, but tbolt rotom is a lot more consistent vs flying. i have knock on emp mainly for deoxys and hp bug on keldeo for celebi since that thing walls everything else. the result is a really fun team with which i think u can have a good matchup vs a lot of the meta. it sorta struggles a bit with substitute users and set up sweepers but they can be played around.
replay
Dragonite @ Lum Berry
Ability: Multiscale
Jolly Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Outrage
- Earthquake
- Extreme Speed

this set isnt exactly new but the twist here is that it's jolly to outspeed mega manectric at +1. i was kinda annoyed by the high elec usage in the first few weeks of the tour and started to slap this on most of my flying teams. just wanted to highlight this since it goes ham vs water, elec and fire while still being a big threat in general. dnite's pretty underrated rn and that makes me sad.
zuku doing zuku things

i've also had a lot of fun experimenting with things on steel, but i cba to share since i have way too many sets. just wanna say that mega gyara's a beast on water rn. s/os to trich, my teammates and everyone else that helped test stuff and make this a fun season

Last edited:

DugZa

Carpe Diem
is a Top Tiering Contributoris a Top Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Former Smogon Metagame Tournament Circuit Champion
NUPL Champion
Sharing some SM sets/teams that I thought were fun and cool to use. Feel free to ask questions about any of the stuff posted.

Didn't really get to showcase most of these sets in the games they were used so wanted to share the sets and the thought process behind them.

:ss/hydreigon:
Hydreigon @ Chople Berry
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 124 HP / 4 Def / 128 SpA / 76 SpD / 176 Spe
Timid Nature
- Dark Pulse
- Flamethrower
- Taunt
- Roost

As most Dark teams struggle against Breloom and have little to no counter play against a +2 Breloom unless you're running Weavile which isn't that common, I've grown to like Chople Hydreigon on Dark as it gives you a reliable way to take deal with Breloom even at +2. The given EVs allows Hydreigon to take a +2 Mach Punch from Jolly and Adamant Breloom as well as a favorable role to live a +4 Mach Punch from Jolly Breloom at full HP while the 128 SpA ensures you OHKO 4 SpD Breloom from full. It has enough speed EVs to outspeed scarf-less Excadrill and 76 SpD along with the HP EVs ensures it lives +2 Focus Blast from Modest Life Orb Raichu-A at full. Lastly, the 4 Defense EVs along with the HP investment ensures you live a +2 Secret Sword from Keldeo. Although Hydreigon isn't doing much damage in return, Dark Pulse damage combined with Sand damage can easily help wear Keldeo down to Z-Grass Greninja range even after 2 Calm Mind boosts. (Note that this only really helps against CM Z-Keldeo and not CM Leftovers sets.) The moves are fairly similar to any other stall-breaker Hydreigon set and proves to be extremely useful in matchups such as Steel, Poison and Grass. Full team: https://pokepast.es/cb58eda9fa87898b. The damage calculations are as follows.

+2 252 Atk Technician Breloom Mach Punch vs. 124 HP / 4 Def Chople Berry Hydreigon: 213-252 (59.8 - 70.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
+2 252+ Atk Technician Breloom Mach Punch vs. 124 HP / 4 Def Chople Berry Hydreigon: 235-277 (66 - 77.8%) -- guaranteed OHKO

+4 252 Atk Technician Breloom Mach Punch vs. 124 HP / 4 Def Chople Berry Hydreigon: 321-378 (90.1 - 106.1%) -- 37.5% chance to OHKO

128 SpA Hydreigon Flamethrower vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Breloom: 262-310 (100.3 - 118.7%) -- guaranteed OHKO

+2 252+ SpA Life Orb Raichu-Alola Focus Blast vs. 124 HP / 76 SpD Chople Berry Hydreigon: 302-355 (84.8 - 99.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

+2 252 SpA Keldeo Secret Sword vs. 124 HP / 4 Def Chople Berry Hydreigon: 300-354 (84.2 - 99.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

:ss/kyurem black:
Kyurem-Black @ Roseli Berry
Ability: Teravolt
EVs: 248 SpA / 28 SpD / 232 Spe
Hasty Nature
- Ice Beam
- Earth Power
- Fusion Bolt
- Roost

Another one of my personal favorite sets to use on Dragon. It mainly helps with Whimsicott in the Grass matchup, Tapu Koko in the Electric matchup and M-Altaria in the Dragon mirror. Most people don't expect Roseli Berry so it's nice to lure out Tapu Koko and Whimsicott. The Speed EVs hit 312 allowing it to outspeed base 92s, Krookodile and M-Garchomp. 28 SpD EVs ensures it lives a Choice Specs boosted Dazzling Gleam from Tapu Koko after 2 rounds of Stealth Rocks damage. Not from MPL but a tour game replay where Roseli Kyurem-B proved to be useful: https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7monotype-1037629855.

252 SpA Choice Specs Tapu Koko Dazzling Gleam vs. 0 HP / 28 SpD Roseli Berry Kyurem-Black: 168-198 (42.9 - 50.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

:ss/gastrodon:
Gastrodon @ Float Stone
Ability: Sticky Hold
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD
Sassy Nature
- Scald
- Earthquake
- Toxic
- Recover

Gastrodon is easily my favorite Water/Ground type to use on SM Water teams and is an underrated Pokemon on SM Water mostly due to the difficulty of fitting it on most teams as it lacks Stealth Rocks, unlike Swampert and Seismitoad and as a result forces most Water teams built around Gastrodon to be identical. On the bright side, it also has access to reliable recovery and gives Water teams a reliable switch into M-Diancie and Life Orb Kyurem-B, something most Water teams lack, as it avoids a 2HKO from Life Orb boosted Ice Beam even after Stealth Rocks damage. Opted to go with Earthquake over Earth Power to secure the guaranteed OHKO vs Raichu-A. Although the set isn't really "new", what I mainly wanted to point out is its item, Float Stone. Not really a common item but Float Stone is great on Gastrodon as it prevents Gastrodon from being 2HKO'd by common Grass Knot users, such as Raichu-A and Tapu Koko after Stealth Rocks damage and allows it to excel in its role in the Electric matchup. (Grass Knot BP decreases to 40 against Float Stone Gastrodon.) Personally, I think Float Stone Gastrodon also has some merit in SS as well since it gives Water teams a reliable switch into Heliolisk in the Normal matchup. Full team: https://pokepast.es/601f2ad6d8f9bd18. The damage calculations are as follows. (Since the damage calculator is not coded for Float Stone I changed the BP of Energy Ball for the calculations.)

252+ SpA Life Orb Raichu-Alola Energy Ball vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Gastrodon: 166-198 (38.9 - 46.4%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Stealth Rock
+2 252+ SpA Life Orb Raichu-Alola Energy Ball vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Gastrodon: 328-390 (76.9 - 91.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock

252 SpA Expert Belt Tapu Koko Energy Ball vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Gastrodon: 139-168 (32.6 - 39.4%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Stealth Rock
252 SpA Choice Specs Tapu Koko Energy Ball vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Gastrodon: 176-208 (41.3 - 48.8%) -- guaranteed 3HKO

252 SpA Thundurus-Therian Energy Ball vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Gastrodon: 156-188 (36.6 - 44.1%) -- guaranteed 3HKO

252 SpA Heliolisk Energy Ball vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Gastrodon: 128-152 (30 - 35.6%) -- 22.3% chance to 3HKO

:ss/tapu koko:
Tapu Koko @ Fairium Z
Ability: Electric Surge
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Calm Mind
- Thunderbolt
- Dazzling Gleam
- Roost

This is a set we used on most of our Electric teams. Personally not a huge fan of Choice Specs Tapu Koko. Although it proves to be extremely good in the Dragon matchup, it gives more leeway for Flying and Water to play around it. But we also needed the team to stand a decent chance vs Dragon without Specs Tapu Koko and I felt like Expert Belt Tapu Koko lacked in power to do anything significant in the Dragon matchup, especially since the team had no Stealth Rocks to chip things down to Expert Belt boosted Dazzling Gleam range. Eventually settled with CM Fairium-Z Tapu Koko and thanks to the Z-Move the lack of Hidden Power Ice and Grass Knot was not that acute. It's also a nice surprise factor as most people naturally assume the Z-Move to be on Raichu-A or Zeraora. Full team: https://pokepast.es/277eec5bfb3c65f7.

Sharing some of my favorite teams I built/used this MPL.

:gyarados mega: :keldeo: :tapu fini: :tentacruel: :swampert: :greninja:
https://pokepast.es/3c7e945c4529fbac

Zukushiku used this team in the Bo3 slot in Week 1 vs Decem. We went with this team since we felt it matched well vs everything we expected Decem to bring and the stuff he usually likes to spam. We opted to go with M-Gyarados as the Mega slot. Not only is it great in the Psychic and Water match-ups, it also offered the team a (temporary) Ground immunity and Scarf Fini to help in the Dragon MU and give the team some sort of speed control. Toxic Spikes Tentacruel + Tapu Fini does seem weird on paper but it does unexpectedly fine in most match-ups. We went with Z-Grass Knot Greninja to further improve the mirror MU which ended up being the matchup in the game but the Greninja set can change to anything depending on what you want to beat more. Sub CM Keldeo to help in the Steel, Normal and Dark match-ups. The previous version had Toxapex over Tentacruel with Defog Fini but the Tentacruel version felt better in tests so we ended up using that.

:aerodactyl mega: :zapdos: :togekiss: :gliscor: :celesteela: :thundurus therian:
https://pokepast.es/3b3a1b669ef72e1a

EviGaro used this team in Week 5 vs Days for Dabs. Flying seemed like an ideal choice vs everything that we excepted that week from her opponent, except Dragon (which he had a tendency to spam a lot). We ended up using this Flying team with Scarf Togekiss and Togekiss does an excellent job at easing out the Dragon match-up and provides the team a decent Scarf user as speed control. This team only carries one Defog user in Gliscor unlike most Flying teams. Personally, I think Gliscor as the sole Defogger is fine since it reliably defogs on a lot of things without much trouble but if needed Zapdos can be used as a second defogger with Defog over Toxic. Electrium-Z Agility Thundurus-T to completely dominate the Water match-up since the team was weak to Water without it. Specially Defensive Celesteela gives the team a reliable switch in vs Greninja and has enough Speed EVs to outspeed 16 Speed Clefable that speed creep 0 speed Celesteela.

Overall was a fun experience building and playing this MPL although the season didn't go as well as I'd have hoped for, for Darkrais due to extremely bad luck but special shout-out to my managers Kev and Izaya for being great managers and giving me a lot of freedom when it came to prep and trusting me with prep for most slots and the rest of the team for making this a fun season. :heart:

Last edited:

Havens

WGI World Champion
is a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus
just posting a couple teams/sets I enjoyed making

:alakazam: :hatterene: :indeedee-f: :jirachi: :mew: :slowking:

Made this team for Week 6 against Conflux. Psychic wasn't a type I used a hell of a lot in SS until that point, and I thought it would be fun to do some experimenting since I doubted Steel would be what he'd bring (before that point, I faced Steel like 2-3 times?). I wanted to work around the effectiveness of 8 turns of Psy terrain, so I turned to Indeedee-F as the setter for better bulk and Healing Wish support. I also wanted to work around the idea of Meteor Beam something, as I thought it a pretty cool move but had limited options to abuse it. Thankfully, and as expected, I worked around it with Mew as a way of nuking Mandibuzz and gave it Gleam and Flamethrower to throw off standard game plans for Dark and Steel teams under terrain. AV Slowking I added as a decent switchin to Volcarona, Scarf Hydreigon, Kingdra and so forth, while also phazing them out if they were setup sets. Added standard options with Sash Zam, CM Hat, as well as Sub Jirachi which has been thriving in relevance lately via SubTox or SubCM, slapped Expanding Force on damn near all of them, and I thought it pretty solid to abuse. Hat ended up doing most of the work sadly, so hardly any of this got showcased, but it's perhaps my favorite team from the entire tour to build and use, even if it was for a few turns or so.

:hydreigon: :urshifu: :tyranitar: :mandibuzz: :grimmsnarl: :bisharp:

This is the Dark team I used Week 3 vs. Toadow. It's nothing super crazy; this was probably the first match I used Urshifu myself. The only thing super interesting is the Hydreigon, being Dragon Dance with Rock Slide as a means to bait Volcarona in while gaining the speed to surpass faster threats like Specs Jirachi, non-Scarf Pult and non-Scarf Cobalion. Again, nothing super crazy here, but I credit this team a lot cause it helped me build my confidence, which ultimately built up my personal momentum for that tour to win 4 straight for that point.

:keldeo: :kingdra:
Keldeo @ Blunder Policy
Ability: Justified
EVs: 40 HP / 252 SpA / 216 Spe
Timid Nature
- Calm Mind
- Hydro Pump
- Focus Blast
- Icy Wind

Kingdra @ Metronome
Ability: Swift Swim
Modest Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Hurricane
- Dragon Pulse
- Disable

These two sets go hand in hand, as they were going to be what I planned on using for gorex in the last week of the regular season had I not overslept, mainly out of fun. Blunder Policy Keldeo was a set I have definitely used before, but absolutely knew that wasn't going to be a set they'd be privy to considering how common CM and Choiced sets were at the time. Metronome Kingdra I found cool to take on Dragon, especially as DD Pult became the more common set while Scarf sets became less relevant, with at no point any dragon utilizing Haban. Just figured it'd be a great way to crush Dragon with rising power.

Honestly, I wasn't expecting to do as well as I did in this tour, nor did anyone, but I enjoyed it. Unsure if I'll be playing in another tour again due to the way my world is right now, but I'm definitely going to be back to manage again. s/o to the Bucks and the homies for a fun season~

I don't really know if I'm late to the party, but here are some of the teams I had involvement creating this MPL. Helping with teambuilding for the Monotype meta I like the most (SM Monotype) in my first MPL (finally) was an unforgettable experience, despite our team not making playoffs and myself not winning a single game. Before I start, HUGE shoutouts to Decem for trusting my ideas / scouting and tweaking them so they could have the most reliability possible; I think I wouldn't be that helpful in other teams. Also, kudos to the SM players who ignited them and made them work (Empo DrReuniclus devinn and again Decem) as well as all the people who I PM'd for tests.

As with everything Mateeus, click on the sprites to get the importable :D:D:D:D
:pidgeot-mega::diggersby::porygon-z::chansey::porygon2::ditto:

This team is probably the one I put most hours working on throughout the weeks of the competition, being used three times through all of MPL (week 2, week 4 (Maple from Darkrais) and week 6, each time with a different variant). My initial thoughts on building revolved around the idea of adapting Normal's consistency to give it a slight edge against popular types in the metagame like Flying, Grass, Psychic, Dark, Steel, and even Water, so we agreed on bringing it against teams known to bring them the most (Gengars and Treeckos). Standard Mega Lopunny teams tend to drop either Diggersby or Porygon-Z on their last slot, and that choice usually directs the matchups the final team will struggle against or not, therefore I aimed to make a team with both to net the most amount of positive matchups. I chose Z-Conversion as the Porygon-Z set because of how it can threaten Steel / Flying / Psychic, leaving Diggersby with a LO + SD set for wallbreaking against Dark / Electric / Water (was Band w2, changed later on).

I didn't want to lose Ditto given how useful it is, so Mega Pidgeot was added over Staraptor due to its role compression of being a fogger, a fast mon and a (sort of) defensive pivot with the maximum HP / some bulk EV's (can't get 2HKOed from full from unboosted Keldeo/can't get OHKOed by Specs Keldeo and Scarf Latias after rocks/lives a hit from Scarf Tini and Scarf Kyurem-Black/etc. Speed investment is for max 110s). Chansey is generic Chansey, but I added Magic Coat on P2 to avoid the now popular Taunt users on Flying (and Celesteela's Leech Seed / Toxic), making the matchup much easier overall. That set was inspired on Decem's Magic Coat Toxapex in Gen 8 which I liked a lot concept-wise. After Decem's Week 6 game, we decided to give Porygon-Z some bulk investment for it to always set up on Scarf Latias 1v1.

:shedinja::sableye-mega::decidueye::mimikyu::marowak-alola::blacephalon:

A team I've been using for quite a long time (which I got inspiration from a MPL replay dump, I think it was MPL 3), I brought the idea of Decem using it (ghost main ;w;) against Chaitanya in his week 2 bo3 SM game to him and it did quite well in the tests against types we were expecting. Unfortunately Chait ended up bringing Dark, probably the team's toughest matchup, so it ended up taking the loss. Nevertheless, I think Shedinja Ghost is the best way to do something with the type in SM because it can help walling types like Electric, Dragon, and Normal, in addition to Ghost's main matchup (Psychic). HP Steel on Blacephalon is a nice Mega Diancie lure vs Fairy, effectively maximizing Shedinja's effectiveness in that matchup as well. Decidium Z after a SD boost is really nice to remove stuff like Celesteela, Mega Venusaur, Ferrothorn and sometimes Toxapex.

:pelipper::sharpedo-mega::keldeo::seismitoad::greninja::toxapex:

I used this team in two occasions (week 3 and week 7), ending up as the loser in both scenarios. The idea of using a rain Water team with Mega Sharpedo came from my personal disliking of Mega Swampert offensively, so I thought that a mega with a better cleaning potential against most types could fit in just as well. Water came into mind for us as a type I could use because my replays didn't show any of it - I don't really use Water a lot. Since Mega Sharpedo is primarily a late-game sweeper rather than a wallbreaker, I immediately splashed the wallbreaking duo of Specs Pelipper + CM Taunt Waterium Z Keldeo into the team because of how menacing they are against bulkier builds. Without Mega Swampert, Seismitoad filled the role of a Swift Swim abuser / rocks setter for the team; it also helped against Fairy a lot with the addition of Sludge Wave. Scarf Greninja was added for a fast mon + something that could threaten Dragon and clean Flying once Celesteela was down, and Toxapex tied up the team to shut down set-up sweepers, blanket check threats and... do Toxapex things. Even though I didn't have success with the team live, I did pretty well with it on test games; I think it has potential.

:gallade-mega::victini::metagross::celebi::latias::deoxys-speed:

DrReuniclus used this for his week 6 match against Prosaic, where he ended up winning. We aimed to use a middleground preparation method, as we couldn't afford to drop points at that instance; after scouting, a more offensive Psychic team fit right in, being good against most of Prosaic's stalwart types and his MPL tendencies. The Nasty Plot Deoxys-Speed set was my starting building point, given we were worried about Water and Flying. Electric was noted as well, so Psycho Boost was favored over the typical Energy Ball on the last slot. Instead of making Metagross our Stealth Rocker, we decided to go with a full-on all-out attacking set to further threaten Fairy, Poison and opposing Psychic teams by running both Zen Headbutt and Pursuit; we were expecting those types as well, and Celebi's last moveslot is expendable for that role anyway. Latias was added as our speed control and Healing Wish user, freeing the Victini set to be more offensively oriented. I made some tests with the standard Mega Gallade and an unchoiced Victini variant, but it didn't go well against some types we were expecting; Decem then suggested the Sub + SD Stone Edge Mega Gallade set to mainly bop Balanced Dark while still pulling weight versus Steel and Normal, and we found out Band Victini synergized better with such a set. Overall a team I had a lot of fun crafting and testing later on.

:charizard-mega-y::celesteela::gliscor::tornadus-therian::thundurus-therian::dragonite:

This was Empo's team against Azelea in week 7. Basically, because Bucks had spammed tons of Dragon the weeks before and we had brought types that do well versus it previously, we then immediately slashed Dragon off of the preparation shelf. Empo told us he was comfortable with balanced Flying for the week, and I wanted to focus on a team that could beat the remaining expected types; this team was made as a result. Because one of Mega Aerodactyl's selling point is the Dragon matchup and I wasn't expecting it, I thought of using Mega Charizard Y to strengthen other matchups instead. The Celesteela was more standard-ish as, again, Dragon wasn't expected; the spread was geared towards living Tapu Koko's hits against Fairy. Gliscor worked as the rocker, Tornadus-Therian as the defogger and the Dragonium Z Dragonite served the team well as both a wallbreaker and a late-game sweeper against Electric, Psychic and Water. Lastly, Thundurus-Therian was added as the scarfer because the team was lacking on speed control; Flash Cannon was opted for to lure Mega Diancie and make the potential Fairy matchup much easier.

Overall, despite many outcomes not going the way I would like them to, I think I had a lot of fun this MPL, which ultimately is what stays and is what a game is for. Team atmosphere was incredibly good (shoutouts rest of my teammates gorex, Perish Song, Cell, yedla, ToxaNex and Freeroamer), receptive and, personally, supporting even after my poor showings. I can say this has been a very immersive learning experience as a player overall, from preparation logic to different battling perspectives and plays. Unfortunately my time on this website will probably be less due to irl factors, but I'll be around next year and hopefully I can get my (very first) MPL win then. See you all!

Last edited:
Lazy and bad at formatting so sorry for how this looks. Also not really gonna explain sorry but hit me up if you have questions

Sets:

Torkoal @ Eject Pack
Ability: Drought
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SpD
Bold Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 30 Spe
- Overheat
- Rapid Spin
- Stealth Rock
- Yawn

Overheat hits pretty hard but eject pack is for momentum where you can go set up volc/cinder/incin after yawn. Negative is you don't get boosted sun turns but I love this set

Incineroar @ Weakness Policy
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Flame Charge
- Bulk Up
- Taunt
- Power Trip

self explanatory i think, use with screens rotom

Amoonguss @ Assault Vest
EVs: 248 HP / 140 Def / 120 SpD
Sassy Nature
- Clear Smog
- Giga Drain
- Sludge Bomb
- Stomping Tantrum

This set is goated on both types, but especially poison. Eats indeedee iirc and you don't lose to sub aegi and hat and hydre (roostless) and rain and more I love it

Goodra @ Assault Vest
Ability: Gooey
EVs: 248 HP / 44 SpA / 200 SpD / 16 Spe
Calm Nature
- Fire Blast
- Draco Meteor
- Sludge Wave
- Dragon Tail

sure a bunch of people already seen this but yea, dtail does more than rock slide overall imo

Teams:

https://pokepast.es/fb5da085a7c0d82c

Does similar to the team in my potw (more are coming I swear blame waszap!!) Keldeo doesn't crit everything like shifu but I still like this. Helio is mad annoying. You can drop scald for eq on gastro to give you some chance.

https://pokepast.es/d44de64418ae494c

https://pokepast.es/3b66f34da97cbd0d

Didn't use any of these in mpl but have in random ssnl/mlt stuff. They're cool/hard to use/probably not ideal but they break past balance types pretty well which is nice in this meta.

https://pokepast.es/ef88704d8516f82b

Toadow was gonna use this but decided rachi > klef so he lost to urshifu dark. Lum over black glasses is prob better

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)