Team MPL VI - Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
First off, I would like to wish everyone good luck in the actual MPL.

Secondly, I would like to thank the managers for being helpful and patient with me throughout this week, regardless of the actual result of the draft. Had some fun practicing and felt a bit more engaged with this community overall. I feel okay this time because everything i've done was within my own self and not for the sake of satisfying the managers or getting drafted. So it happens.

On a final note: I'd like to say that the Monotype community social atmosphere has improved slightly compared to the last few years. There has been less overall toxicity: I guess it comes with everyone's maturing the more they are on this site, however, there is still a lot way to go (see last BLT, I disagree w/ all the bashing on newer players, i hope you all do right this time). Also, special shoutouts to Decem for being the first mono tier leader to show care for community improvement in years. His post regarding players's attitude in this community shows how much he effectively cares about players development and I really hope all newer players do their best to stay motivated and keep improving in their own pace. I really hope he keeps doing his efforts to commit for this attitude also for the smaller tours because we know we can still see plenty of toxicity, but that's it, I am really happy to see this direction we are all going in. It is unfortunate for me, however, as this is most likely my last year on this site, so I wish the best to everyone in their lives.

That's it, have fun!

Zar

What a time
is a Contributor Alumnus
I love shitting on psong as much as anyone but can we talk about this sequence of actions from the Hearthome Honckhrows:

download (1).png

More importantly:

[13:05:47] *Scrappie: 1truelycan[Hearthome Honchkrows]: 3500.
[13:05:54] *Scrappie: booty[Hearthome Honchkrows]: 4000.
[13:05:55] *Scrappie: 1truelycan[Hearthome Honchkrows]: 4500.

Last edited:

Zar

What a time
is a Contributor Alumnus
Now that the draft is over and everyone's had some time to gather their thoughts, I thought it'd be the perfect time for me to do a power ranking based on my thoughts and opinions. Unlike the legend Charmflash, I will not rank my team and will just rank the other 7 teams and give a brief description on what I like (or dislike) about their team.

Power Rankings

1. Meteor Falls Miniors:
Attribute, Ridley, GotCookies, Conflux, Leru, Bitana, p2, Caetano93, Shiba, Alkione

While the Miniors started the draft off with an interesting first pick, the rest of their draft was nothing short of solid in my opinion. They have 2 monotype veterans managing in Attribute and Ridley. Attribute in particular came in 2nd in the recent Monotype seeded bo3 tournament and he's being put in the same bo3 slot again. This time he's gonna have solid support from his teammates as well. They have Conflux to support in the new gens, especially in SS for Leru and Alkione. Bitana popped off in SM last season and I can see him doing it again while supporting Shiba or p2 whoever is slotted into SM. Ridley finds himself in his favorite tier, ORAS, where he's proved to be one of the best players and consistently has had great records in. Caetano93 is a sleeper pick for BW who might be a bit risky considering he isn't familiar with Monotype but he's great at BW and I'm sure he can very well do amazing given the backbone of the team is already so good.

2. Goldenrod Gengars: Zap, Chaitanya, Dahli, Feitan the Steam, Toadow, Nailec, Croven, Averardo, confide, avarice, Dieu Amphibien

Don't get me wrong, the reigning champion Gengars are very closely matched with Miniors for the #1 pick. Before the draft even started, they had 4 incredible players lined up in Chaitanya, Waszap, Peachy and Feitan. This took a big hit on their budget pre-draft but they covered it with some solid cheap picks to round off a great draft. Their SS lineup is led by Feitan who I'm actually surprised isn't playing Bo3 like last year where he did so well. But I've heard hes been playing it a lot recently to pick it up. Toadow is a bit unproven at this level but this could very well be his tour to shine. Averado is proven in smogon tournaments and with the help from the rest of the team, he has every reason to do well. They also have Dieu Amphibien, someone who is notorious for playing 4 thousand ladder games of SS already to fall back on if someone doesn't work out. Waszap and Peachy were a solid duo last year in SM with Peachy especially being the MVP with a 9-1 record and he's only improved ever since. Croven doesn't build at all but if race wars was anything to go off from, Chaitanya is the perfect teammate for him as he went 6-1 in ORAS with his teams. Their BW slot is a bit interesting though, as they don't really have a clear option for that tier and don't have that much support either. Nonetheless Avarice is solid and can definitely do a job for them. Chaitanya is a surprising pick for bo3. While the Paki is our TL, he has said on numerous times that he doesn't really play SS that much and neither does waszap at all. However he's proven to have solid records in the past and could easily have another one in this stacked bo3 pool.

3. Trick House Treeckos: Wanka, Luckypiper, Metariolu7, Floss, Prosaic, Bouff, Crashy, Jase Duken, adjustments, taide, Randompizza, martha, vivalospride

The Treeckos have wanker leading them with newcomer Luckypiper hoping to prove a point. They've taken a huge gamble on Flossed Over, the most expensive player in the entire auction. But he's been someone who has been on the come up for a while now with a great showing in BLT and WCoP even. I'm sure him and Metariolu7 with make a great partnership for SS and support Bouff to round off probably the strongest SS lineup out of all the teams. They have another big money signing in Prosaic who starts in SM. While Prosaic doesn't usually like team tours, he should have no problem finding motivation with this team and could easily have one of the best records in the tour after being considered criminally underrated in the community for years. They have crust former-TL wanker in ORAS, who to his benefit, is actually one of the few old WoA people who haven't turned to complete trash in recent times and should have a solid tour. Their BW slot is home to 3 rings Crashy who will look to solidify himself in that slot and bag in another ring. But with an amazing BW pool this year, the odds are stacked against him. Manager Luckypiper will look to lead by example in the bo3, however like Crashy, the pool is solid and he may have to change slots soon enough.

4. Hau'oli Houndooms: Harpp, maroon, North, Trichotomy, Fylkir Pudin, Splash, Days for Dabs, Quaze, Cam, Zugubu Royale, H.M.N.I.P

Houndooms are another team that had 4 players already confirmed before going into the draft and they improved on that even more with a relatively small budget. They went for risky new players in SS and while this might prove to be one of the best decisions of the season, it could also end badly for them. They invested heavily on Splash who has been solid for a while and will look to prove a point after being undrafted last season. They also have Fylkir Pudin, someone whose been on the rise but he seems a bit hit or miss for me and will need great prep in most matchups. They decided to go on a risky route and get both Zugubu Royale and Days for Dabs. Don't get me wrong, they could do amazing for all I know but they also could easily cancer / get banned mid-way through the tour. On the other hand they have nice guy Harpp who was really coming to his own in SM in the latter parts of the tier and will look to solidify his position as one of the best of that tier this season but he also has to add in support for Cam who isn't really that familiar with Monotype anymore having not played it for years now. Maroon in ORAS is an interesting one, as he's never really been someone who has had an incredible tour before in Monotype and the ORAS pool looks very good already. I can see him struggling in this one. On the contrary, North has made BW his homeland after playing it in MPLs for years and proving how good he is with a 7-2 record last season. He is the most expensive BW player in this pool with a 20k price tag after retain and unless he does it again, that's a lot of money to spend on 1 tier. Their shining light is Trichotomy though, as he was a steal at 15k retain and is coming off a big Seeded tour win and will look to replicate last season's great 7-1 record. He is definitely one of the top players of this season.

5. Hearthome Honchkrows: sabella, 1truelycan, Star, Eternal Spirit, Gondra, ima, Xiri, Fírnen, TheArchitect_, Corporal Levi, Yami, Jolly Togekiss, 0NI, Chras

The Honchkrows (again) went for their tried and tested strategy of getting as many tour players in as possible and giving them support. However with WCoP starting, my concern with the team is their motivation for a tour like this. They retained Star who has done well everytime hes been picked and could do it again, especially with support from Firnen. However Firnen has a lot to do this time as he has to provide SS support for the entire team as neither Sabella or Lycan really play it. The two managers will find themselves in familiar territory though in SM, where they have Xiri and Gondra. Xiri had a disappointing MPL 5 and will look to build on that but he could find himself in trouble in a competitive SM pool. Levi is slotted in ORAS where he had a mediocre 3-3 record last season and we could see something similar this year as well. However, the two bright spots in this team are BW and BO3 where the managers are slotted. Sabella is the daddy of Monotype and has been for quite a while. He's established himself as one of the greats of the tier and will look to dominate the BW pool. 1 true Lycan is arguably the best Monotype tour player of all time and has an incredible all time record which he will look to improve even more after going out of WCoP early, which could be a blessing in disguise for the Honchkrows. This team in its own is very hit-or-miss. They could easily come in 1st in regular season or they could end up last depending on their motivation.

6. Dreamyard Darkrais: Kev, Izaya, DugZa, Zukushiku, Feliburn, Ssalbap, trace, EviGaro, Alpha Rabbit, Kaguya Lys, Arifeen, col49

The Darkrais had a solid foundation of their managers + Dugza but honestly in my opinion couldn't really build on it in the draft. New council member and one of the few people who actively play the tier Kev will lead the line in SS and will have Kaguya coming off a strong seeded performance and DugZa to bounce ideas around. Ssalbap however is kind of an interesting pick as he isn't his usual Miniors environment and I've heard of him not being the greatest presence in their discord already. He fell off hard after 1 great season in Mono and hasn't played in a while now. DugZa and EviGaro are solid SM players and can definitely give anyone in the pool a run for their money. EviGaro had a great season last year and DugZa will look to establish himself as a top player this season after last year's solid 4-1 record. ORAS is where they look a bit rough though. They have Arifeen and izaya to switch around with. Arifeen's always had good records in Mono tours but he hasn't played seriously in a long time and could take some time to get rid of the rust. Izaya had a relatively ok season last year but he's never really popped off other than that and will have big boots to fill as manager this time. They have Trace in BW whose been in Mono team tours for forever but again he's never really done too well and might have another similar season. Their best player without a doubt is Zukushiku though, who has been a mainstay top player for quite a while. Although he had a disappointing season last year, he'll look to more than make up for it this year in a competitive bo3 pool. A really good thing about this team as a whole is the fact they have solid subs as well. Even if things start to go wrong, they can easily shift in players such as Feliburn, col49, Alpha Rabbit in and change the system.

7 Mirage Island Milotics: Decem, Perish Song, Empo, Freeroamer, le LLiolae, Mateeus, Cell, ToxaNex, devinn, gorex, yedla, Dr. Reuniclus

The Milotics made some interesting gambles during the draft especially with lots of money and I can see it coming back to bite them this tour. They are going to be heavily reliant on Decem to build for a questionable SS lineup of gorex, ToxaNex and Lliolae. Especially in a SS metagame where every other team invested heavily in multiple builders and potent players. They've also taken a huge risk on 20k Empo and while Empo is an amazing player, questions are being raised on how motivated he will be for a tour like this especially while WCoP is going on. Mateeus will look to breakthrough in his first MPL and will have big responsibilities to provide support for Empo and even some in other tiers. They have a workhorse in Cell who will be very motivated to improve a mediocre 4-4 record in ORAS from last year and he could be the knight in shining armor for a worrying Milotics squad. They didn't take a risk on Freeroamer however, as they snagged him for a nice 18k. Problem is though that he didn't have a good tour last year and there might be concerns regarding his motivation for this MPL as well with Grandslam and pokemon rom hacks to play for instead. Decem had a fantastic tour last year and will look to make his mark as new TL in this tour but with the added responsibility of being a manager and having to support everyone in other gens as well, he might crumble under pressure. While I don't think this team is as bad as anyone is thinking, they really need to have great chemistry between themselves to lift them up and make a team effort to push for playoffs.

English isn't really my first language so please ignore all my grammar mistakes :( Big shoutout to Bondie and Flossed Over for helping me with the rankings. Hope to have a fantastic tour everyone! I'm really excited for this one and I haven't been this excited for Pokemon related stuff in a long time :) Good luck!

Last edited:
First off thank you Zar for doing this so I could steal your outline. Saved me a lot of time. So here is my PR and since I dont actually know all the players, I solely based it off the names each teams players have. I put the good names in Blue and the bad ones in Red, anything without a color was average. Enjoy

Power Rankings

1. No one

Sorry boys and girls, the first spot goes to no one. It would have gone to whoever drafted me but alas. I think some managers were just intimidated by my model good looks, jealous that I have a real human girlfriend and not a 2d Japanese one, or scared that they were not good enough to win me my 4th PL trophy in a row. It was probably a combination of the three.

2. Blackthorn Bucks: Havens, lax, sae, Jyph, Catalystic, SirSkit, Vodoom, King Choco, Thimo, kythr, Azelea, tko, brisked

Ngl this team is mostly just bangers. Starting off the list we have Havens and lax. Both great games, they are short, easy to say and easy to spell. Next you might be thinking why wouldnt I add sae to the blue names? Well sae is a fire name but also a frat at my college and most of those kids were tools so losing points for that.

I highlighted King Choco because normally this would be a bad name, too many letters and split up words but it makes me think of chocolate which makes it good. Kythr sounds cool, nice and edgy like hes listening to some emo band while wishing he bad blades for arms like scyther. Last we have tko and brisked. tko fire name of course, 3 letter names are elite. brisked just might be my favorite on this list, just a sick name in general.

Overall this is a 10/10

3. Meteor Falls Miniors: Attribute, Ridley, GotCookies, Conflux, Leru, Bitana, p2, Caetano93, Shiba, Alkione

Miniors also had some really good names. Ridley is just fresh sounding and it makes me think of the smash character. Conflux is another just smooth name to say. It makes you think of a space station for some reason. p2 is a two letter name, those are rare and goated. Shiba is great name and also just a really cool dude. Hey Shiba, gl out there.

Now the reason this team is 2nd is because of GotCookies. This name isnt bad because I enjoy cookies but it lost points because I cant tell if they are saying they have cookies or they are asking for them. I need more clarity.

Note on this one, normally its major negative points for having numbers in your name so Caetano93 would be garbage but since I was also born in 93 I am going to let it slide for being the goat year.

Overall 9/10

4. Trick House Treeckos: Wanka, Luckypiper, Metariolu7, Floss, Prosaic, Bouff, Crashy, Jase Duken, adjustments, taide, Randompizza, martha, vivalospride

Okay so now we are getting into the not so great names. First we have Wanka, thats a good name. Floss, great name. Bouff good name. All 5 letter beauties that are easy to say and spell. Name gold.

But man we have some bad ones. First off Metariolu7. I hear this guy is really good but what is this. A number... how can you put a number in your name. If you were really that good, you would be Metariolu, thats it. Everyone knows numbers make you a jabroni. Next we have Jase Duken. Not a bad name but did he really put his actual name on smogon? That seems like a psycho move to me. I wouldnt trust this guy. Last we have a bottom 2 name. Randompizza. One word, no space, no capital. It genuinely looks like a name one of my 4th grade students would make and laugh about for a week straight. We need a COPA check on this guy because he might be under 10.

Overall 6.5/10

5. Goldenrod Gengars: Zap, Chaitanya, Dahli, Feitan the Steam, Toadow, Nailec, Croven, Averardo, confide, avarice, Dieu Amphibien

This one on of the harder teams to rate. Zap has a fire name. Three letters and sounds powerful. But next we have Chaitanya and I thought thats supposed to be some peaceful Indian word but Chait never seems peaceful so I dont get it.

Feitan im pretty sure is the skull kid from Hunter x Hunter which isnt bad but writing the steam after it makes it super long and annoying to type so losing points for that. Next is the french name which I wont ever type because I dont want to get carpal tunnel. I like french players but thats just too tough for my tiny american mind to comprehend.

Overall 6/10

6. Dreamyard Darkrais: Kev, Izaya, DugZa, Zukushiku, Feliburn, Ssalbap, trace, EviGaro, Alpha Rabbit, Kaguya Lys, Arifeen, col49

So Kev always says I attack him but honestly he is carrying the Darkrais dead body in this PR. Kev is a sick name, as someone who also have a 3 letter nickname (Pat) he gets extra points. Trace is also a pretty cool one so that helps too.

But damn we got some garbage here. I googles Zukushika but I couldnt find anything so I have no clue what that is, other than annoying to type. Ssalbap looks like they tried to type a normal name but couldnt hold their hands steady enough on the keys. And it just keeps rocketing downhill.

Alpha Rabbit seems like a 6th grader name that people use to play fornite. Kaguya Lys I didnt even bothing googling but I have no clue what it means. Maybe its a name, idk. col49 looks familiar so maybe this guy is old like me and 10 years ago this name was acceptable but two numbers in 2020?! You hate to see that

Overall 5.5/10

7. Mirage Island Milotics: Decem, Perish Song, Empo, Freeroamer, le LLiolae, Mateeus, Cell, ToxaNex, devinn, gorex, yedla, Dr. Reuniclus

This team started out so strong. Decem, Perish Song, Empo. All great names. Decem makes me thing of December which makes me think of Christmas. Perish Song is an og move. Empo is like a cool short version of Empoleon. Then we have Cell, another nice and short name. Four letter names that start with C are fire.

Then we come to trash city. Le lliolae has so many Ls. Starting off the tour with 5 L's already isnt a good sign. gorex and yelda both make no sense. gorex sounds like a napkin you use to clean up blood and yelda reminds me of a mountain witch for some reason. Dr. Reuniclus is a decent name but just way too hard to type so losing points for that.

But I really have to talk about devinn. This shit makes me so made. Like I get it, your name is Devin and you wanted that but it was taken. Happens. But really? you couldnt think of anything better than adding another n? Come on man, you can do better than that.

Overall 5/10

8. Hau'oli Houndooms: Harpp, maroon, North, Trichotomy, Fylkir Pudin, Splash, Days for Dabs, Quaze, Cam, Zugubu Royale, H.M.N.I.P

I havent met Harpp but I hear hes a nice guy so I'm sorry to have to give you a negative name. Just like above with devin, adding another p at the end is a disgrace. Maroon and north both make up for it. Both of those are fire names. Follow that up with Splash and Cam, two more great names.

Now you must be thinking, but Cash they had so many good names how can they be 8th? Thats a good question.

Zugubu Royale is just annoying to type but it's not that bad so how did they lose so many points? It's because hmnip is the worst name i have ever seen on anything in my whole life. How tf do you expect anyone to type that out. I have to use caps and periods every second, it's terrible. Im assuming it stands for Help Me Name Is Puke

Overall 4.5/10

9. Hearthome Honchkrows: sabella, 1truelycan, Star, Eternal Spirit, Gondra, ima, Xiri, Fírnen, TheArchitect_, Corporal Levi, Yami, Jolly Togekiss, 0NI, Chras

I honestly dont even know if I should bother writing this because I doubt half these people will even read this thread. Starting off with the positives. Star and ima are both great names and ima won me a trophy so he gets extra points.

I feel like I have to make a note about 1 true lycan. While this name is complete lycan shit. I know this guy is an absolute beast at battling. So out of respect I will leave it neutral.

But we end off here with some pretty bad names. Firnen isnt too bad but it need a little line thing over the I which I dont even know how to make on my keyboard so that name isnt very inclusive. Corporal Levi is just way too long to to type and since Im at the end of this my hands are tired. The architect literally put an underscore so thats negative ten millions points. Maybe they think this is PSN. And I dont even have words for 0NI, a 0 as an O is a disgrace to their wh0le family.

Overall 3/10

English is my first language but I dont always write every well so it is what it is. If you have any complains feel free to pm me on Smogon where I am sure not to respond.

Sub to my YouTube

Last edited:

H.M.N.I.P

https://youtu.be/pIr6TjG7Rko
is a Past SPL Championis a Past WCoP Champion
Zugubu Royale is just annoying to type but it's not that bad so how did they lose so many points? It's because hmnip is the worst name i have ever seen on anything in my whole life. How tf do you expect anyone to type that out. I have to use caps and periods every second, it's terrible. Im assuming it stands for Help Me Name Is Puke
Hi, user: ''CashKP'', my name is Pietro, and I'm sorry if my nick isn't up to your magnificent standards.
I'm sure you sat long enough in your room when you were thinking ''hmm, which nick with 0 personality should I put on my Smogon account, which also sounds like the 2013 gamer-tag of a kind of mediocre 13yo Call of Duty player?''
The results are amazing though, cause it perfectly sounds like the nick of someone who would make you think ''Damn, thankfully I got a bye for this round!'', so there's that.

On a more serious note, check this out: https://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/where-is-your-nick-from.3597156/page-6#post-7401144 - as I think it's actually a pretty cool story to tell when they ask the reason behind my nick, which is something that would never happen with yours!

No hard feelings buddy, it's all for the spectators

w3k.PNG

roxie

https://www.youtube.com/@noxiousroxie
is a Tutoris a Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Hi, user: ''CashKP'', my name is Pietro, and I'm sorry if my nick isn't up to your magnificent standards.
I'm sure you sat long enough in your room when you were thinking ''hmm, which nick with 0 personality should I put on my Smogon account, which also sounds like the 2013 gamer-tag of a kind of mediocre 13yo Call of Duty player?''
The results are amazing though, cause it perfectly sounds like the nick of someone who would make you think ''Damn, thankfully I got a bye for this round!'', so there's that.

On a more serious note, check this out: https://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/where-is-your-nick-from.3597156/page-6#post-7401144 - as I think it's actually a pretty cool story to tell when they ask the reason behind my nick, which is something that would never happen with yours!

No hard feelings buddy, it's all for the spectators

we three kings can go fall in a ditch

Swear some 1v1 mains went back in the evolution chain or are just drones. How can you rate names when your name looks like low ladder alt. Please go make shity post in 2v2pl please
Yeah cant relate to having a bad username, not like my other username on discord is much better lol. When it comes to usernames I have about as much creativity as.... fuck im not creative enough to write an insult for this

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)