Project Monotype Team Building Workshop

:ss/venusaur: :ss/whimsicott: :ss/virizion: :ss/shiftry: :ss/celebi: :ss/ferrothorn:

Venusaur @ Life Orb
Ability: Chlorophyll
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Giga Drain
- Sludge Bomb
- Weather Ball
- Growth

Whimsicott @ Heat Rock
Ability: Prankster
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
- Moonblast
- Growth
- Sunny Day
- Memento

Virizion @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Justified
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Close Combat
- Megahorn
- Stone Edge
- Sunny Day

Shiftry @ Life Orb
Ability: Chlorophyll
Jolly Nature
- Leaf Blade
- Knock Off
- Sucker Punch
- Swords Dance

Celebi @ Expert Belt
Ability: Natural Cure
Timid Nature
- Psychic
- Dazzling Gleam
- Earth Power
- Nasty Plot

Ferrothorn @ Leftovers
Ability: Iron Barbs
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 Def
Relaxed Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Gyro Ball
- Leech Seed
- Stealth Rock
- Protect

I'm glad you requested this because I was already pretty fond of Sun grass, I tried out a few builds and after playtesting it a lot (s/o Eien for helping) I ended up with the current team, It has the double sun setters you asked for being Whimsicott and the scarf virizion, double sun abusers in shiftry and venusaur, and then Nasty plot celebi and defensive ferrothorn. I should point out that this team get's smashed by fire as you set up their sun and the team has no fire resist nuetrality. but overall I think it's pretty strong and has a few decent matchups, I really hope you enjoy using it Rysdude
I love this team, and excited to try it out. Do you think adding Ludiculo or Appletun in there somewhere would help with the fire match up?

Balanced Ice
for Lune Knight
:ss/kyurem-black: :ss/darmanitan-galar: :ss/piloswine: :ss/avalugg: :ss/ninetales-alola: :ss/cloyster:
You said you wanted balance so I added Piloswine and Avalugg to give the team more of a defensive vibe. Mamoswine is stronger and faster, however Piloswine is bulkier thanks to Eviolite. Thick Fat combined with full investment in Special Defense allows it to take a Sun boosted Fire Blast from Charizard and deal massive damage with Rock Tomb. Toxic on Piloswine is nice for stuff like Galarian Corsola and Rotom-W. Earthquake on Avalugg is nice for hitting Aegislash which is why I used that over something like Roar, Toxic, or Iron Defense. Alolan Ninetales is just the standard Aurora Veil set which works well with Dragon Dance Kyurem-B and Cloyster, allowing it to use King's Rock over Focus Sash since it can live most hits under Veil. King's Rock Cloyster has a high chance to flinch with Icicle Spear and Rock Blast so it's definitely worth using and can help you luck your way out of a tough spot. Galarian Darmanitan is just standard Choice Scarf and the Kyurem-B is the set you requested. The team is pretty weak to Choice Scarf Jirachi unless you can avoid flinches with Avalugg, but that's how most Ice teams are. Choice Scarf Weavile is your best bet to threaten Scarf Jirachi, however I think Cloyster is a better fit on this team.

Kyurem-Black @ Leftovers
Ability: Teravolt
EVs: 56 HP / 200 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Substitute
- Dragon Dance
- Icicle Spear
- Fusion Bolt

Darmanitan-Galar @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Gorilla Tactics
Jolly Nature
- Icicle Crash
- Flare Blitz
- U-turn
- Earthquake

Piloswine @ Eviolite
Ability: Thick Fat
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 SpD
Careful Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Rock Tomb
- Toxic

Avalugg @ Heavy-Duty Boots
Ability: Sturdy
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Impish Nature
- Body Press
- Rapid Spin
- Recover
- Earthquake

Ninetales-Alola @ Light Clay
Ability: Snow Warning
EVs: 248 HP / 8 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Aurora Veil
- Moonblast
- Encore
- Freeze-Dry

Cloyster @ King's Rock
Ability: Skill Link
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Shell Smash
- Icicle Spear
- Rock Blast
- Hydro Pump
This team looks exactly like what I was thinking of! Looking forward to giving this a shot, and glad to see my set melds with it pretty well.

Thank you very much, I appreciate you building this for me! ^_^

Hi folks! With the excellent suggestions on water and grass, Id like to request, if possible, my third favorite type, fighting. Specifically, the little vigilante, Scrafty.

I would love some help building a team around him. HO or balance doesn’t matter, and Im open to suggestions on his build, though if you can fit Drain Punch in it that’d be great. As a side request, would like to limit the legendaries to two only.

Hello.
I would like to ask you, if it is not exaggerated, a Rock Monotype worn on the Offense with Terrakion, of which I put the desired sets underneath.

Terrakion @ Choice Band
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Close Combat
- Stone Edge
- Earthquake
- Quick Attack

OR

Terrakion @ Choice Scarf
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Close Combat
- Stone Edge
- Earthquake
- Rock Slide

Thanks for your help.

mushamu

God jihyo
is a Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Former Smogon Metagame Tournament Circuit Champion
Derpeddeath
:ss/rotom-wash: :ss/stunfisk: :ss/zeraora: :ss/raichu-alola: :ss/dracozolt: :ss/galvantula:
Rotom-Wash @ Leftovers
Ability: Levitate
Timid Nature
- Toxic
- Substitute
- Hydro Pump
- Will-O-Wisp

Stunfisk @ Terrain Extender
Ability: Static
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Bold Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Toxic
- Yawn
- Electric Terrain

Zeraora @ Choice Band
Ability: Volt Absorb
Jolly Nature
- Play Rough
- Fire Punch / Knock Off
- Close Combat
- Plasma Fists

Raichu-Alola @ Life Orb
Ability: Surge Surfer
Modest Nature
- Substitute
- Grass Knot
- Thunderbolt
- Focus Blast

Dracozolt @ Zap Plate
Ability: Hustle
Adamant Nature
- Bolt Beak
- Dragon Claw
- Fire Fang
- Substitute

Galvantula @ Focus Sash
Ability: Compound Eyes
Timid Nature
- Thunder
- Sticky Web
- Bug Buzz
- String Shot

Sorry for being a bit late about this, but basically I tried to build around SubToxic Rotom-W as a set. Rotom-W's main niche on Electric teams is its ability to threaten Ground using Toxic + Hydro Pump. Stunfisk is basically just Stealth Rock with Yawn to stop things like Mimikyu from setting up for free. It's still pretty underwhelming even if it has Stealth Rock, which caused me difficulty later when teambuilding, and I decided to compress Electric Terrain onto it to support Alolan Raichu, seeing as I couldn't fit in Pincurchin. Zeroara's the physical wallbreaker of the team, and I have Fire Punch on this team in order to hit Steel which you lose out on by not running Rotom-Heat. Knock Off is an alternative to it to hit Psychic. Alolan Raichu is Substitute in order to grab more kills against Water and helps against Bisharp. You have Dracozolt, so Poison is less of an issue. Since two of the teamslots were already taken up with Stunfisk and Rotom-W is used defensively, I decided to use Pokemon that helped more in individual matchups instead of going for Pincurchin. Dracozolt helps against Grass and Steel. String Shot Galvantula helps against Choice Scarf Excadrill and Kyurem-B and is something I like to put on my teams because of that.

maroon

free palestine
is a Site Content Manageris a Top Team Rateris a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnus
RMT & Mono Leader
Weakness Policy Incineroar Fire
for Havens

:ss/incineroar::ss/torkoal::ss/cinderace::ss/charizard::ss/arcanine::ss/rotom-heat:
{click here or on the sprites for an importable}

The basic idea of this team was to give Incineroar the most room to set up and sweep, I decided to go with Fire instead of Dark. Incineroar is the set you requested, Substitute can be used over Drain Punch to avoid status conditions like being poisoned or paralyzed. Torkoal is the sun setter and pretty much a staple pick on Fire teams, setting Stealth Rock and providing hazard removal with Rapid Spin. Cinderace provides a secondary form of hazard control allowing them to swap hazard fields with Court Change, U-turn allows it to bring in momentum and Sucker Punch is mainly for Dragapult, you can use High Jump Kick over it. Charizard is the teams form of speed control and is devastatingly powerful inside the sun being able to just muscle through types such as Psychic, Dragon Pulse is for the dragon matchup which can do a ton of work in the Sun, and can check +1 Kyurem-B. Choice Band Arcanine is there to do a ton of damage in the Sun as well as being able to hit faster Pokemon with Extreme Speed, which was the main reason I chose to use it over the more powerful Darmanitan. It also provides Intimidate which again can give some support to Incineroar which requires a few turns to build up a strong sweep. Finally Rotom-H is there for screens + pivoting with Volt Switch and Thunder Wave is just there as a form of Speed control. This was a fun team to build, let me know what you think of the team and I hope you enjoy using it!​

Hello! I would like a fairy team with Sylveon but I'm not sure how to build it. I definitely want to have Hatterene, Grimmsnarl, and Togekiss on the team as well. Thank you so much!

Conflux

big boy diamonds
is a Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Scrafty Fighting
for Rysdude

:ss/kommo-o: :ss/conkeldurr: :ss/cobalion: :ss/keldeo-resolute: :ss/scrafty: :ss/hawlucha:
I went with a Dragon Dance set for Scrafty and put double STAB + Amnesia because I don't think it needs any coverage. The only other option I was considering was Poison Jab but Scrafty's not doing anything against Fairy so I didn't feel this was necessary. I chose Keldeo as the next Pokemon as its one of the best options on Fighting and made it SubCM. You wanted to limit the use of legendaries to two so it was a bit difficult to choose between Cobalion and Terrakion but ultimately I decided to go with Cobalion. Standard lead set with Stealth Rock, Taunt to prevent opposing entry hazards, Thunder Wave to cripple the opponent, and Iron Head to hit Fairy-types. Choice Scarf Kommo-o was my next pick because I wanted something that would put in work against Dragon. I went with Conkeldurr and Hawlucha for the last two slots; Conkeldurr's a strong wallbreaker thanks to Guts, doesn't care about status, and can beat Toxapex with Earthquake while also having Knock Off to remove items. Hawlucha is great against Grass, Bug, and opposing Fighting teams and has Taunt to stop Haze, status, and entry hazards. I'm going to include a second version in the importable that has Terrakion over Cobalion. Personally I would never give up either one since Scrafty isn't good enough to take up their slot but yeah.
Kommo-o (M) @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Bulletproof
Timid Nature
- Clanging Scales
- Flamethrower
- Flash Cannon
- Focus Blast

Conkeldurr (M) @ Flame Orb
Ability: Guts
EVs: 132 HP / 252 Atk / 124 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Drain Punch
- Mach Punch
- Knock Off
- Earthquake

Cobalion @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Iron Head
- Taunt
- Thunder Wave

Keldeo-Resolute @ Leftovers
Timid Nature
- Calm Mind
- Scald
- Secret Sword
- Substitute

Scrafty (M) @ Leftovers
Ability: Shed Skin
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Drain Punch
- Knock Off
- Amnesia

Hawlucha (M) @ White Herb
Ability: Unburden
Adamant Nature
- Close Combat
- Acrobatics
- Swords Dance
- Taunt

Kommo-o (M) @ Choice Scarf
Timid Nature
- Clanging Scales
- Flamethrower
- Flash Cannon
- Stealth Rock

Conkeldurr (M) @ Flame Orb
Ability: Guts
EVs: 132 HP / 252 Atk / 124 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Drain Punch
- Mach Punch
- Knock Off
- Earthquake

Keldeo-Resolute @ Leftovers
Timid Nature
- Calm Mind
- Scald
- Secret Sword
- Substitute

Terrakion @ Choice Scarf
Jolly Nature
- Close Combat
- Stone Edge
- Earthquake
- Megahorn

Scrafty (M) @ Leftovers
Ability: Shed Skin
Jolly Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Drain Punch
- Knock Off
- Amnesia

Hawlucha (M) @ White Herb
Adamant Nature
- Close Combat
- Acrobatics
- Swords Dance
- Taunt

Hi there! I would like to request a psychic team with Gallade, since I consider a good pokemon, but it is difficult to give him a place in a psychic team. Thanks.

Gallade (M) @ Life Orb
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Close Combat
- Knock Off
- Shadow Sneak

Hi, the previous team that Harpp built for me was really great. It worked out really well and gave me an insight into how to teambuild better so thanks for this workshop :) . Being able to test out the other teams posted here was also great.

Thanks!

I'll just post some replays with the water team Harpp made before to show how I used the team and how well the core worked.

https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8monotype-1071593073
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8monotype-1077668636
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8monotype-1071297392

I would now like to request an electric team built around offensive rotom (can be any form but preferably wash or mow) preferably with specs for wash but I'm open to other options.

Last edited:

maroon

free palestine
is a Site Content Manageris a Top Team Rateris a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnus
RMT & Mono Leader
HO Webs Electric
for Poised Boy

:ss/zeraora::ss/raichu-alola::ss/pincurchin::ss/rotom-heat::ss/galvantula::ss/toxtricity:
{click here or on the sprites for an importable}

Hi, so luckily Offensive Rotom forms are pretty common in Monotype and Electric teams are no exception so it was fairly easy building this team. Rotom-Heat is a good Steel breaker for the team as nothing aside really Excadrill can beat Rotom-Heat, which Sticky Webs helps slow down for the team. Rotom-Mow can replace Rotom-Heat, just switch Overheat to Leaf Storm and it should be fine. Galvantula + Pincurchin is the main support Pokemon that enables the archetype of Webs + Terrain. These two also form the hazard stacking core, spreading every type of hazard except Stealth Rock, which this team lacks. However, the pressure you should be able to apply with the hazards on the team and Electrics offensive prowess should be enough to offset that disadvantage. Galvantula is also a really nice anti-Water Pokemon as no Water-types really want to take a Thunder+Energy Ball. Memento allows Pincurchin to bring in Raichu easier, probably do not do this the first time Pincurchin is in, as it is meant to setup Terrain multiple times in the match. Zeraora + Nasty Plot Alolan Raichu is an insane offensive core that can easily devastate teams, especially when backed by Electric Terrain. Alolan Raichu can comfortably run Nasty Plot this generation due to Terrain Extender being allowed and should setup when it forces a switch. Toxtricity is just an insane breaker that does crazy damage in and outside of terrain. Boomburst hits hardest outside of terrain and moves like Sludge Wave are mainly to act as Poison STAB which is spammable in the Fairy matchup, though most of the time this in it will be either pivoting with Volt Switch or destroying things with Overdrive in Terrain or Boomburst outside of it. Let me know what you think of the team and I hope you enjoy using it!​

Hi,

I’d like to request a mono-flying team build around the following sets:

Butterfree @ Focus Sash
Timid Nature
- Bug Buzz
- Hurricane
- Quiver Dance
- Sleep Powder

Gyarados @ Leftovers
Ability: Moxie
Jolly Nature
- Waterfall
- Bounce
- Earthquake
- Dragon Dance

Other than that...I’m open-ended as to style of play. I’m mainly looking for a jumping-off point from someone who knows better, as most of the ideas and strategies I’ve tried haven’t been as fruitful as I would have liked.

Thanks in advance.

-acg

Harpp

No rain, no flowers.
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Gallade Psychic Team
Yoii

Celebi @ Leftovers
Ability: Natural Cure
EVs: 252 HP / 72 Def / 168 SpD / 16 Spe
Calm Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Thunder Wave
- Giga Drain
- Recover

Hatterene (F) @ Sitrus Berry
Ability: Magic Bounce
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpA / 4 SpD
Quiet Nature
- Dazzling Gleam
- Trick Room
- Psychic
- Mystical Fire

Gardevoir @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Trace
Timid Nature
- Moonblast
- Psychic
- Energy Ball
- Thunderbolt

Gallade (M) @ Life Orb
Ability: Steadfast
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Close Combat
- Knock Off
- Shadow Sneak

Indeedee (M) @ Choice Specs
Ability: Psychic Surge
Timid Nature
- Dazzling Gleam
- Psychic
- Shadow Ball
- Mystical Fire

Jirachi @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Serene Grace
Jolly Nature
- Iron Head
- Healing Wish
- U-turn
- Trick

For this request I originally built a Gallade team around Sticky Web offense but I didnt find it consistent enough so I built it around Celebi utility support and the team has a generic core of Choice Scarf Jirachi and Gardevoir which help deal with matchups like Ice, Fairy, Dark, Dragon and Water. Gallade and Indeedee form a good wallbreaking core together as they take care of each other's checks like Hippowdon and Snorlax and pave the way for Choice Scarf users to win. Indeedee is important on Psychic teams as it provides immunity to Ghost type attacks meaning the team doesnt outright loses to Gengar or Dragapult on preview. Hatterene is standard OTR set which is great against fast paced teams and it is also the teams way to prevent hazard against due to Magic Bounce. I kept Thunder Wave on Celebi to punish offensive switchins like Galarian Darmanitan against it. The team also has healing wish support from Jirachi which is especially useful lategame. I also have some replays for you to see the team in action:
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8monotype-1094223050-2w4prubecsiaglhrglpgkppqlzt97m5pw
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8monotype-1094226349

I would like a rock or fairy gen 7 monotype team with the core of Mega Diancie either the set being RockPolish Moonblast Diamond storm and Earthpower or a stealth rocks set
Thanks

zxgzxg

scrabble
is a Forum Moderator
Hey, could I have a dark team with this support Incineroar set?

Incineroar @ Heavy-Duty Boots
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 248 HP / 108 Def / 68 SpD / 84 Spe
Careful Nature
- Knock Off
- Taunt
- Fake Out
- Parting Shot

I was thinking a balanced offense team would be cool. Thanks in advance!

roxie

https://www.youtube.com/@noxiousroxie
is a Tutoris a Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
B Free Gyara HO Flying Team
for a chatty gossip

Butterfree @ Focus Sash
Shiny: Yes
Timid Nature
- Hurricane
- Bug Buzz
- Sleep Powder
- Quiver Dance

Gyarados @ Leftovers
Ability: Moxie
EVs: 252 Atk / 16 Def / 240 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Waterfall
- Bounce
- Earthquake
- Dragon Dance

Xatu @ Light Clay
Ability: Magic Bounce
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Teleport
- Light Screen
- Reflect
- Thunder Wave

Hawlucha @ White Herb
Adamant Nature
- Brave Bird
- Close Combat
- Swords Dance
- Roost

Charizard @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Solar Power
Timid Nature
- Flamethrower
- Hurricane
- Dragon Pulse
- Focus Blast

Togekiss @ Leftovers
Ability: Serene Grace
Timid Nature
- Air Slash
- Nasty Plot
- Roost
- Substitute

So flying is in a rough spot generally this generation, without the nice electric immunity provided by Gliscor and Landorus in the past. With two setup sweepers in Butterfree and Gyara, it makes sense to lean into the whole Hyper Offense teamstyle. The idea here is to lead Xatu to set up screens and TWave opposing leads. Magic Bounce does a good job keeping taunt and rocks off your side with a low priority teleport to allow safe entry of a teammate to setup. From there it's pretty straightforward to hit your setup move and go - Butterfree desperately needs at least 1 QD to start hitting hard, so it's important to find the right time to put your opponent to sleep. She'll generally be your best bet for being a 'wallbreaker' to soften up opposing checks. Additionally, she can fill in as a decent lead with her sash to Sleep an opposing speedy Electric type that could OHKO Xatu (Rotoms, Heliolisk, etc.).

I've respected your set suggestion for Gyara here, though I'd highly recommend dropping Bounce for Power Whip, as you have enough flying STAB in the team, and Bounce just slows your momentum, allowing someone to set up rocks and waste your screen turns. Would also say Lum might be a better option as well to counter the host of T-Wave users who can otherwise do very little to you. Hawlucha is a staple of HO and tears through Fighting, Steel, and Dark types. Toge rounds up our setup mons with a good deal of bulkiness and flinchiness that will be super helpful in breaking through fatter teams (Water, Normal, Grass). ScarfZard round the team out with a solid speed tier, able to clean up and even take advantage of some weather conditions. Give this team a shot

why does none of these pokemon have a single heavy duty boots

I am requesting a Dragon team featuring what is arguably the coolest Dragon-type of all, Dragapult. It has one of the coolest offensive typings plus a buttload of coverage. I prefer the Choice Specs set for its power and I would very much like it if the team is either HO, offense or BO.

Dragapult @ Choice Specs
Ability: Infilitrator
Timid Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Shadow Ball
- Fire Blast
- U-turn / Thunderbolt

Raahel

MANO TENGO FE
is a Tiering Contributor
Hello, I came to ask you for a Dragon team around this Core Screens Dragapult + Sub BD Salac Kommo-o since it has cost me a lot to build around it and it seems to me a good idea of core

+

Dragapult @ Light Clay
Ability: Infiltrator
Timid Nature
- Shadow Ball
- Fire Blast
- Light Screen
- Reflect

Kommo-o @ Salac Berry
Jolly Nature
- Substitute
- Belly Drum
- Drain Punch
- Thunder Punch

I know water is a very common type, but could someone please help me build a team around Timid/Modest Inteleon@Scope Lens with Focus Energy Snipe Shot? I was thinking of running a HO team with Dracovish or Crawdaunt and Cloyster/Barbaracle or something more defensive with Pyukumuku.

Ok, since my last one was not accepted, how about a Fighting type team with Urshifu (Preferably Rapid Strike Forme). I would like Choice Band/Scarf, feel free to change the items. The only thing I really want on its set is Aqua Jet and/or Surging Strikes.

I am new to comptetitive Pokemon and wanted to use a mono Fairy team. You use any Pokemon you want, but I want Sylveon in the team. Also, I don't have the DLC yet, so any Mons from there are a no no. Thanks in advanced!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)