Resource Monotype Sample Teams

Status
Not open for further replies.
HO Steel build

https://pastebin.com/P5X8Dps4

Custap skarmory opens new doors for steel. In a majority of situations unless you match against a counterlead, you'll lead skarmory and initiate with hazards. Brave bird offers solid attack and also hits particular fighting type threats, mega venusaur, and allows momentum to be maintained by dropping skarmory on correct turns through recoil once sturdy is activated. After hazards are up, ideally you will chip between the 5 diverse attackers, eventually working to put one of the setup sweepers in a position finish the late game. Typically, this is mega scizor, or celesteela.

demo:https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7monotype-851726148
You might want to give Excadrill Toxic over Rapid Spin (or Iron Head). I see little ways for this team to handle M-Sableye other than Steela already popping off. Especially not since the Custap Skarmory set is a pretty useless lead vs M-Sableye. Of course Heatran can 1v1 Sableye but you'll have to reliable hit your Magma Storms.

I think it'd also be cool to get some more replays where Custap Skarmory puts in work because I feel the set will become stale once people get to know it better.

Looks like a solid HO team though, I like it.

Offensive Normal
Ambipom (M) @ Life Orb
Ability: Technician
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Fake Out
- Return
- Pursuit
- U-turn

Swellow (M) @ Flame Orb
Ability: Guts
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Facade
- Brave Bird
- Boomburst
- U-turn

Meloetta @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Serene Grace
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Psychic
- Shadow Ball
- Focus Blast
- U-turn

Chansey @ Eviolite
Ability: Natural Cure
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SpD
Bold Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Soft-Boiled
- Seismic Toss
- Toxic

Lopunny @ Lopunnite
Ability: Limber
Jolly Nature
- Return
- High Jump Kick
- Power-Up Punch
- Encore

Porygon2 @ Eviolite
Ability: Trace
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Bold Nature
- Recover
- Ice Beam
- Foul Play
- Toxic
So what I read is "exact same as sample but worse with a more niche pick as a flying normal mon and ambipom over Diggersby"

you don't need a double fake out unless your trying to play a reverse uno card brah

Also don't see the need for Meloetta in this case, Normal already kicks ghosts and poisons ass (if you use diggers)

While you could argue Meloetta is for Fighting, scarfed staraptor works just as well. The main issue in Fighting vs Normal is Terrakion who outspeeds staraptor when scarfed, and Hawlucha who definetly outspeeds star when unburden boosted. Meloetta can help with either but not 100% effectively, If you wish to use meloetta I would try bulky intimidate star + scarf Meloetta if that suggestion helps.

Last edited:
Reactions: gum
Offensive Normal

Ambipom (M) @ Life Orb
Jolly Nature
- Fake Out
- Return
- Pursuit
- U-turn

Swellow (M) @ Flame Orb
Naive Nature
- Facade
- Brave Bird
- Boomburst
- U-turn

Meloetta @ Choice Scarf
Timid Nature
- Psychic
- Shadow Ball
- Focus Blast
- U-turn

Chansey @ Eviolite
Bold Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Soft-Boiled
- Seismic Toss
- Toxic

Lopunny @ Lopunnite
Jolly Nature
- Return
- High Jump Kick
- Power-Up Punch
- Encore

Porygon2 @ Eviolite
Bold Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Recover
- Ice Beam
- Foul Play
- Thunder Wave/Toxic

Ambipom: Ambipom is a strong fake out user and its fake out gets a technician boost and STAB boost. Pursuit is when you predict a switch and gets a power boost and technician boost which can be devestating for psychics and ghosts. U-turn is so you can get out of there to keep Ambipom healthy. Return is another decent STAB move that can chip off foes.

Swellow: Swellow with Guts and Flame Orb can really deal some damage although it does shorten Swellow's longevity. Facade is by far the strongest move this set has to offer because 1: It is boosted by Flame Orb 2: It is boosted by Guts and 3: it is STAB boosted. This can really cripple foes. Boomburst is another good STAB move even though it doesnt get boosted by guts. U-turn, again, is to keep it healthy.

Meloetta: I really didn't feel the need to add it on my team but it is the only thing keeping the team from being high jump kicked to death. Psychic is a STAB move that will decimate anything that tries to sweep normal monotypes. Focus Blast is in case they try to bring out Rock types or Steel types to resist the normal type moves this team has to offer. Shadow ball is used exclusively to keep Mega Lopunny alive and healthy. I think you know what U-turn is for by now.

Chansey: Do I really have to tell you what chansey is for? Ok fine. Chansey is obvously a rocks user who can cripple and resist sweepers from badly poisoning them. Seismic Toss is to weaken it even more so toxic can finish it off.

Lopunny-Mega: Mega Lopunny is a set-up sweeper that can encore other set up mons and power up punch them while they are in the encore then, she goes. She can lower their health drastically with Return. She can High jump Kick rock,steel, and dark mons like terrakion, stakataka, and battle bond greninja if she can out speed.

Porygon2: We all know that Porygon2 is a bulky mon that can wall out scarf users like tapu bulu and maybe even terrakion. It can speed control with Thunder Wave and if you want to cripple with toxic, thats fine too. you can use foul play for any band users like excadrill and zeraora and Ice beam things like tapu bulu and Lando_T

Ambipom (M) @ Life Orb
Jolly Nature
- Fake Out
- Return
- Pursuit
- U-turn

Swellow (M) @ Flame Orb
Naive Nature
- Facade
- Brave Bird
- Boomburst
- U-turn

Meloetta @ Choice Scarf
Timid Nature
- Psychic
- Shadow Ball
- Focus Blast
- U-turn

Chansey @ Eviolite
Bold Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Soft-Boiled
- Seismic Toss
- Toxic

Lopunny @ Lopunnite
Jolly Nature
- Return
- High Jump Kick
- Power-Up Punch
- Encore

Porygon2 @ Eviolite
Bold Nature
- Recover
- Ice Beam
- Foul Play
- Thunder Wave/Toxic

Ambipom: Ambipom is a strong fake out user and its fake out gets a technician boost and STAB boost. Pursuit is when you predict a switch and gets a power boost and technician boost which can be devestating for psychics and ghosts. U-turn is so you can get out of there to keep Ambipom healthy. Return is another decent STAB move that can chip off foes.

Swellow: Swellow with Guts and Flame Orb can really deal some damage although it does shorten Swellow's longevity. Facade is by far the strongest move this set has to offer because 1: It is boosted by Flame Orb 2: It is boosted by Guts and 3: it is STAB boosted. This can really cripple foes. Boomburst is another good STAB move even though it doesnt get boosted by guts. U-turn, again, is to keep it healthy.

Meloetta: I really didn't feel the need to add it on my team but it is the only thing keeping the team from being high jump kicked to death. Psychic is a STAB move that will decimate anything that tries to sweep normal monotypes. Focus Blast is in case they try to bring out Rock types or Steel types to resist the normal type moves this team has to offer. Shadow ball is used exclusively to keep Mega Lopunny alive and healthy. I think you know what U-turn is for by now.

Chansey: Do I really have to tell you what chansey is for? Ok fine. Chansey is obvously a rocks user who can cripple and resist sweepers from badly poisoning them. Seismic Toss is to weaken it even more so toxic can finish it off.

Lopunny-Mega: Mega Lopunny is a set-up sweeper that can encore other set up mons and power up punch them while they are in the encore then, she goes. She can lower their health drastically with Return. She can High jump Kick rock,steel, and dark mons like terrakion, stakataka, and battle bond greninja if she can out speed.

Porygon2: We all know that Porygon2 is a bulky mon that can wall out scarf users like tapu bulu and maybe even terrakion. It can speed control with Thunder Wave and if you want to cripple with toxic, thats fine too. you can use foul play for any band users like excadrill and zeraora and Ice beam things like tapu bulu and Lando_T
Still didn’t answer my points but ok whatever

Also that writing for Melo... made it sound like Psychic is the answer for everything and is the most ingenious thing in this world since sliced bread...

Ambipom isn’t needed with Lopunny mega.

Also your writing reads like your trying to tell 6 year olds how to play lol... it just sounds ultra condensending tbh... also no replays or results showing the team in action which is normally a must for Sample teams (aka prove why a brand new user should use this team as a stepping stone)

Offensive Fighting(Focus Sash Terrakion)

Terrakion @ Focus Sash
Ability: Justified
Jolly Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Close Combat
- Stone Edge
- Earthquake

Keldeo @ Choice Specs
Timid Nature
- Focus Blast
- Hydro Pump
- Icy Wind
- Hidden Power [Electric]

Kommo-o @ Kommonium Z
Ability: Soundproof
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Taunt
- Clanging Scales
- Flamethrower
- Earthquake

Gallade (M) @ Galladite
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Drain Punch
- Psycho Cut
- Shadow Sneak

Lucario @ Choice Band
Ability: Inner Focus
Jolly Nature
- Close Combat
- Meteor Mash
- Extreme Speed
- Bullet Punch

Infernape @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Blaze
Jolly Nature
- U-turn
- Close Combat
- Stone Edge
- Flare Blitz

This is a team building path for a "Lead"-Focus Sash Terrakion and I tried to cover up the problems of losing access to Choice Scarf Terrakion through the rest of the team. I'm not claiming it perfectly works though. I personally use a tanky EV spread for Gallade Mega where it doesn't have max Speed and Attack EVs but I don't want to push that set on anyone since I don't have solid proof of its effectivity(and I don't want to reveal my sets too much). I also find the type combination of the Pokemon in this team to be 'fairly enough' in covering the type's natural weaknesses, defensively.

Open for change:

-A different move over Earthquake on Terrakion since you'd probably only use it for Doublade or Nidoking
-Zen Headbutt over Psycho Cut on Gallade
-Secret Sword over Focus Blast on Keldeo
-A different move instead of Earthquake on Kommo-O, which means the EV spread is changeable too
-Removing bullet punch on Lucario since you don't win against Fairy anyway. Not sure if you'd care much about the match up against Rock teams(Diancie-Mega)
-Brick Break on Lucario to break screens but then again, you probably won't win against Fairy and you'd end up only using it against Psychic screens or Aurora Veil
-Life Orb on Lucario
-Removing U-turn on Infernape since I only consider it for breaking Focus Sash on a Magic Guard Alakazam.

Offensive Fighting(Choice Band Terrakion)

Terrakion @ Choice Band
Jolly Nature
- Close Combat
- Stone Edge
- Earthquake
-

Keldeo @ Choice Specs
Timid Nature
- Focus Blast
- Hydro Pump
- Icy Wind

Kommo-o @ Coba Berry
Ability: Soundproof
Bold Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Clanging Scales
- Flamethrower
- Dragon Tail

Gallade @ Galladite
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Drain Punch
- Psycho Cut
- Shadow Sneak

Lucario @ Steelium Z
Ability: Inner Focus
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Iron Tail
- Close Combat
- Extreme Speed

Infernape @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Blaze
Jolly Nature
- U-turn
- Close Combat
- Stone Edge
- Flare Blitz

This is a team building path for a Choice Band Terrakion and I tried to cover up the problems of losing access to Choice Scarf Terrakion through the rest of the team. I'm not claiming it perfectly works though. The defensive Coba berry Kommo-O is mainly an attempt to have a Pokemon that can wall Pinsir Mega with Sticky Web support. I prefer this Kommo-O instead of a Cobalion so I can block Kommonium-Z Clanging Scale from opposing Kommo-O. You also have an added bonus of being able to wall Electric and Grass moves under their respective terrain as well as Water moves on Rain. I personally use a tanky EV spread for Gallade Mega where it doesn't have max Speed and Attack EVs but I don't want to push that set on anyone since I don't have solid proof of its effectivity(and I don't want to reveal my sets too much). I also find the type combination of the Pokemon in this team to be 'fairly enough' in covering the type's natural weaknesses, defensively.

Open for change:

-The last move slot for Terrakion is open for moves like Zen Headbutt or Iron Head. I've tried Facade or even Stealth Rock
-Zen Headbutt over Psycho Cut on Gallade
-Secret Sword over Focus Blast on Keldeo
-A different move instead of Dragon Tail on Kommo-O
-Brick Break on Lucario to break screens but then again, you probably won't win against Fairy and you'd end up only using it against Psychic screens or Aurora Veil
-Removing U-turn on Infernape since I only consider it for breaking Focus Sash on a Magic Guard Alakazam.

tier

PUPL Champion

Balance Mono Ground

With the largely outdated nature of the current sample teams for ground, such as the implication of Dugtrio still having relevance in our meta today, I chose to highlight the M-Steelix ground that has been gaining much traction and becoming in a sense a new style of ground which moves away from the usage of either Mega Garchomp or Mamo, and in this case provides a large breaker in the form of z dragonium Chomp. While there have been notable instances of people covering such a team, only a general highlight towards mega steelix has been provided.​

Hippowdon @ Leftovers
Ability: Sand Stream
EVs: 252 HP / 136 Def / 120 SpD
Impish Nature
- Earthquake
- Slack Off
- Whirlwind
- Stealth Rock

Excadrill @ Choice Band
Ability: Sand Rush
Adamant Nature
- Iron Head
- Earthquake
- Rock Slide
- Rapid Spin

Seismitoad @ Assault Vest
Ability: Water Absorb
EVs: 116 HP / 252 SpA / 140 Spe
Modest Nature
- Scald
- Sludge Wave
- Earth Power
- Knock Off

Garchomp @ Dragonium Z
Ability: Rough Skin
Jolly Nature
- Fire Fang
- Earthquake
- Swords Dance
- Outrage

Steelix-Mega @ Steelixite
Ability: Sturdy
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 SpD
Careful Nature
- Heavy Slam
- Sleep Talk
- Curse
- Rest

Landorus @ Life Orb
Ability: Sheer Force
Timid Nature
- Gravity
- Earth Power
- Focus Blast
- Sludge Wave

https://pokepast.es/0c029bf88b170013

Hippowdon @ Leftovers
Ability: Sand Stream
EVs: 252 HP / 136 Def / 120 SpD
Impish Nature
- Earthquake
- Slack Off
- Whirlwind/Toxic
- Stealth Rock

As per classical sand teams the usage of Hippowdown is a must have, not only for its ability but the bulk it provides. The Pokemon is a staple to the team as it provides 2x speed to excadrill and serves as a mixed wall along side Seismitoad being AV.While it can also employ toxic over whirlwind which is in itself a personal preference, the usage of whirlwind in a sense can be seen as safer preventing sweepers and abusing hazards versus types such as flying, bug, fire etc. Secondly Hippowdown can be used to nullify opposing weather such as switching hippowdown onto a torkoal to stop sun. The already plentiful defensive stat allows you to invest in special defense and thereby live a larger array of attacks.

+1 252 SpA Volcarona Fire Blast vs. 252 HP / 126 SpD Hippowdon: 310-366 (73.8 - 87.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery ( What would otherwise be a 50% chance to OHKO)
252 SpA Expert Belt Protean Greninja Ice Beam vs. 252 HP / 126 SpD Hippowdon: 338-398 (80.4 - 94.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery ( Allows for future recovery against something such as a Sableye)
252 SpA Charizard-Mega-Y Fire Blast vs. 252 HP / 126 SpD Hippowdon in Sun: 351-414 (83.5 - 98.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
252 SpA Charizard-Mega-Y Solar Beam vs. 252 HP / 126 SpD Hippowdon: 340-402 (80.9 - 95.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
252 SpA Kommo-o Clangorous Soulblaze vs. 252 HP / 120 SpD Hippowdon: 283-334 (67.3 - 79.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

Excadrill @ Choice Band
Ability: Sand Rush
Adamant Nature
- Iron Head
- Earthquake
- Rock Slide
- Rapid Spin

The generic choice band set for excadrill provides for a late game sweeper as well as gives it the ability to break walls and remove of threats given its speed stat of 550 in sand. With the immediate damage output of such a set, excadrill can cripple opposing teams by removing of crucial walls.
The specific usage of adamant also allows excadrill to safely outspeed mons such as scarf latios while still hold the massive damage output of band.
The mon not only serves as a late game threat but can pick up KOs and give you momentum in a game.

252+ Atk Choice Band Excadrill Earthquake vs. 248 HP / 252+ Def Eviolite Chansey: 366-432 (52 - 61.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252+ Atk Choice Band Excadrill Earthquake vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Toxapex: 296-350 (97.3 - 115.1%) -- 81.3% chance to OHKO after Black Sludge recovery
252+ Atk Choice Band Excadrill Earthquake vs. 248 HP / 104 Def Sableye-Mega: 210-247 (69.3 - 81.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Seismitoad @ Assault Vest
Ability: Water Absorb
EVs: 116 HP / 252 SpA / 140 Spe
Modest Nature
- Scald
- Sludge Wave
- Earth Power
- Knock Off

Seis is a frontier mon on ground because it allows for the usage of other megas, for example steelix-mega. AV on seis allows for maximum bulk in exchange of losing very little coverage. AV Seis can be used to switch on predicted water attacks, resisted special attacks, or on non boosted neutral hits. Although because Seis lacks any form of natural recovery, it can easily be chipped by hazards or taking too many attacks.The 140 Speed evs is to outspeed Jolly Azumarill along with the rest of the 252 being in hp for bulk. Max special attack for the best rolls of killing azu.

252+ SpA Seismitoad Sludge Wave vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Azumarill: 206-244 (60.2 - 71.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO Guaranteed Kill on Azu after Belly Drum
252 SpA Life Orb Protean Greninja Ice Beam vs. 116 HP / 0 SpD Assault Vest Seismitoad: 138-164 (36.3 - 43.1%) -- guaranteed 3HKO Can Take a Few, but try to avoid taking more than two.
252 SpA Life Orb Teravolt Kyurem-Black Ice Beam vs. 116 HP / 0 SpD Assault Vest Seismitoad: 153-181 (40.2 - 47.6%) -- guaranteed 3HKO Does a ton, but if LO you can knock it off.
252 SpA Choice Specs Tapu Koko Dazzling Gleam vs. 116 HP / 0 SpD Assault Vest Seismitoad: 135-159 (35.5 - 41.8%) -- guaranteed 3HKO Easy
switch into Tapu Koko.
252+ SpA Choice Specs Kingdra Ice Beam vs. 116 HP / 0 SpD Assault Vest Seismitoad: 110-130 (28.9 - 34.2%) -- 2.7% chance to 3HKO Solid tank of ice beams, but beware of Draco Meteor.

Garchomp @ Dragonium Z
Jolly Nature
- Fire Fang / Substitute
- Earthquake
- Swords Dance
- Outrage

Dragonium Z Garchomp allows for a large amount of damage output that beats many threats to the team. Garchomp can remove of specific walls that would later allow for excadrill to sweep. Fire Fang serves to provide coverage with common physical walls like Celesteela and or Ferrothorn while also giving some assistance versus grass. The high speed stat along with physical power allows Garchomp to serve a large roll on the team despite not being in a Mega Form, the mon can be used not only with its typing to tank attacks from types such as fire or grass but also being able to deal damage in return.

+4 252 Atk Garchomp Devastating Drake (190 BP) vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Celesteela: 327-386 (82.1 - 96.9%) -- 62.5% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery
+2 252 Atk Garchomp Fire Fang vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Celesteela: 202-238 (50.7 - 59.7%) -- 85.5% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
+2 252 Atk Garchomp Fire Fang vs. 252 HP / 68+ Def Ferrothorn: 388-460 (110.2 - 130.6%) -- guaranteed OHKO
+2 252 Atk Garchomp Devastating Drake (190 BP) vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Eviolite Porygon2: 319-376 (85.2 - 100.5%) -- 81.3% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock
+2 252 Atk Garchomp Earthquake vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Toxapex: 350-414 (115.1 - 136.1%) -- guaranteed OHKO
+2 252 Atk Garchomp Outrage vs. 252 HP / 64 Def Crobat: 436-514 (116.5 - 137.4%) -- guaranteed OHKO
+2 252 Atk Garchomp Devastating Drake (190 BP) vs. 252 HP / 240+ Def Venusaur-Mega: 390-459 (107.1 - 126%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252 Atk Garchomp Devastating Drake (190 BP) vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Rotom-Wash: 294-346 (96.7 - 113.8%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery

EVs: 252 HP / 4 Attack / 252 SpD
Impish Nature
- Heavy Slam
- Sleep Talk
- Curse
- Rest

We decided to use Steelix-Mega because we felt like it’s an underrated mega on ground. It can solidly take non-boosted or super effective physical attacks, or resisted special attacks. Majority of people run curse/talk set because it can easily clean weakened teams, or make ground have a huge advantage versus some types. Evs were ran for maximum starting bulk before cursing, but you can run max defense if you prefer larger defense. Nature is to help increase the starting bulk as well. Heavy Slam is ran because Steelix-Mega is extremely heavy, and it has no immunities from other types. Sleep Talk and Rest are ran to let Steelix-Mega have a solid recovery and to be able to use rest turns.

OFFENSIVE CALCS

4 Atk Steelix-Mega Heavy Slam (120 BP) vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Tapu Bulu: 278-330 (98.9 - 117.4%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock and Grassy Terrain recovery
4 Atk Steelix-Mega Heavy Slam (120 BP) vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Landorus-Therian: 171-202 (53.6 - 63.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock

DEFENSIVE CALCS

SpA Venusaur-Mega Hidden Power Fire vs. 252 HP / 252 SpD Steelix-Mega: 84-100 (23.7 - 28.2%) -- 94.4% chance to 4HKO
248+ Atk Choice Band Tapu Bulu Horn Leech vs. 252 HP / 0+ Def Steelix-Mega in Grassy Terrain: 133-157 (37.5 - 44.3%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Grassy Terrain recovery
0 SpA Porygon2 Ice Beam vs. 252 HP / 252 SpD Steelix-Mega: 56-66 (15.8 - 18.6%) -- possible 6HKO

Landorus @ Life Orb
Timid Nature
- Gravity
- Earth Power
- Focus Blast
- Sludge Wave/Rock Slide

Landorus is a generic staple on mono ground, with the ability to break a multitude of mons par special walls such as chansey. The usage of rock slide can be a great deal surprising for threats such as Charizard Y and Volcarona. Gravity as always paired with banded excadrill allows for a greater ability to sweep as flying types no longer stop excadrill and trappers such as zone and A-Golem are unable to enter in gravity.

OFFENSIVE CALCS
0- Atk Life Orb Sheer Force Landorus Rock Slide vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Volcarona: 567-671 (182.3 - 215.7%) -- guaranteed OHKO
0- Atk Life Orb Sheer Force Landorus Rock Slide vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Charizard-Mega-Y: 494-582 (166.3 - 195.9%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252 SpA Life Orb Sheer Force Landorus Earth Power vs. 248 HP / 0 SpD Venusaur-Mega: 196-231 (53.9 - 63.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock
252 SpA Life Orb Sheer Force Landorus Focus Blast vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Eviolite Porygon2: 281-333 (75.1 - 89%) -- 12.5% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock
252 SpA Life Orb Sheer Force Landorus Earth Power vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Eviolite Porygon2: 160-188 (42.7 - 50.2%) -- 95.3% chance to 2HKO after Stealth Rock

DEFENSIVE CALCS
252 Atk Terrakion Close Combat vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Landorus: 106-126 (33.2 - 39.4%) -- 100% chance to 3HKO Solid Tank of Close Combat and can counter back with Earth Power.
252 SpA Keldeo Secret Sword vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Landorus: 76-90 (23.8 - 28.2%) -- 92.3% chance to 4HKO Extremely good counter to Scarf Keldeo if you can predict right.

-https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7monotype-934299277
-http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7monotype-934556411
-http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7monotype-934219013
-https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7monotype-934228561
-http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/azure-gen7monotype-305952
-http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7monotype-934204744
-http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7monotype-934246563
-http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7monotype-934189465
-http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7monotype-934200972
-http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7monotype-934200977
-http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7monotype-934315095
-http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7monotype-934304379
-http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7monotype-934224971
-http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/azure-gen7monotype-306064
-http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7monotype-934243611
-http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7monotype-934232072
-http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7monotype-934254973
-http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7monotype-934654501
-http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7monotype-934187729
-https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7monotype-934199743
-http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7monotype-934222713
-http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7monotype-934226901
-http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7monotype-934256301
-http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7monotype-934249482
-http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7monotype-934210359
-http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7monotype-934227252
-http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7monotype-934265980
-http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7monotype-934262738

Lmao ended up climbing 300 elo getting these, shout out the gang Diluvia Dunes Pred and the rest.

Last edited:

tier

PUPL Champion
Nope.
As per classical sand teams the usage of Hippowdown is a must have, not only for its ability but the bulk it provides. The Pokemon is a staple to the team as it provides 2x speed to excadrill and serves as a special wall due to Seismitoad being specs.
ty ty

I actually got to use the normal monotype sample team in a recent tournament on the tours forum and won with it. It worked really well due to the favorable bulk between chansey and porygon2. If anyone is wondering how it works, check it out:

Offensive dark

feedback is encouraged

Guzzlord @ Red Card
Ability: Beast Boost
Careful Nature
- Drain Punch
- Earthquake
- Rest
- Stockpile

Malamar @ Focus Sash
Ability: Contrary
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk
Adamant Nature
- Reversal
- Superpower
- Hypnosis
- Topsy-Turvy

Zoroark @ Choice Specs
Ability: Illusion
EVs: 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Flamethrower
- Sludge Bomb
- Night Daze
- Extrasensory

Absol-Mega @ Absolite
Ability: Magic Bounce
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Play Rough
- Rock Tomb
- Me First
- Night Slash

Hydreigon @ Assault Vest
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 HP / 128 Def / 128 SpD
Modest Nature
- Dark Pulse
- Dragon Breath
- Focus Blast
- Charge Beam

Greninja @ Assault Vest
Ability: Protean
Modest Nature
IVs: 1 Atk
- Ice Beam
- Dark Pulse
- Extrasensory

Last edited:
OFFENSIVE ROCK

Regirock @ Assault Vest
Ability: Clear Body
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 Def / 252 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Drain Punch
- Earthquake
- Rock Slide
- Stone Edge

Aerodactyl-Mega @ Aerodactylite
Ability: Tough Claws
Jolly Nature
- Aerial Ace
- Crunch
- Earthquake
- Rock Slide

Stakataka @ Assault Vest
EVs: 156 HP / 100 Def / 252 SpD
Adamant Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Earthquake
- Gyro Ball
- Iron Head
- Rock Slide

Barbaracle @ Rockium Z
Jolly Nature
- Liquidation
- Stone Edge
- Shell Smash
- Low Kick

Nihilego @ Assault Vest
EVs: 128 HP / 252 SpA / 128 Spe
Modest Nature
- Hidden Power [Grass]
- Dazzling Gleam
- Power Gem
- Sludge Bomb

Terrakion @ Assault Vest
EVs: 4 HP / 188 Atk / 128 Def / 188 Spe
- Sacred Sword
- Earthquake
- Iron Head
- Rock Slide
Regirock- Regirock's place on this team is as the tankier Pokemon so you don't get completely destroyed. Regirock can take a good few hits from most moves.
Aerodactyl-Mega- Aerodactyl is your fast sweeper. Not much else to say but you can also swap the moves around I haven't found the best set yet but this is pretty good.
Stakataka- Your second tank. Stakataka is literally the beefiest pokemon ever no kidding like 500 def and 600 Spd with assault vest. The attack isn't bad either it's actually pretty good. But the real fun is Gyroball. 31 speed on Stakataka pretty much leaves max possible damage(150) on all pokemon.
Barbaracle- If you can get two shell smashes in its GG on any type. Doesn't matter. I got like 600 atk and 1000 speed once and it's just... death and destruction. Watch out for priority moves like bullet punch or shadow sneak or whatever you'll probably die to those 90% of the time.
Nihilego- Grass check. SpA and SpD instead of the normal rock atk def so its different then the others.
Terrakion- Terrakion is your more balanced pokemon. His stats aren't lopsided facing all towards attack and defense.

Thank you for reading all this if you even did!

Last edited:

Mattapod

bad clarinet music
is a Community Contributor Alumnus
Offensive Water

Politoed @ Mago Berry
Ability: Drizzle
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpA / 4 Spe
Bold Nature
- Toxic
- Scald
- Perish Song
- Icy Wind

Pelipper @ Choice Specs
Ability: Drizzle
EVs: 248 HP / 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 4 Spe
Modest Nature
- Hurricane
- Defog
- U-turn
- Surf

Swampert-Mega @ Swampertite
Ability: Torrent
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Waterfall
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Ice Punch

Kingdra @ Waterium Z
Ability: Swift Swim
Modest Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Scald
- Hydro Pump
- Ice Beam

Azumarill @ Choice Band
Ability: Huge Power
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Aqua Jet
- Brick Break
- Play Rough
- Knock Off

Seismitoad @ Life Orb
Ability: Swift Swim
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
- Earth Power
- Sludge Wave
- Stealth Rock
- Hydro Pump

Is it cheap to have two rain-setters? Maybe. Is it fun to use an unconventional Pelipper that surprises things and drowns them with pure offensive power? Absolutely. This hyper-offensive water team aims to put rain up, keep it there, and punish anything that attempts to stand in it’s way.

Politoed - The team’s bulky rain setter, this frog takes hits surprisingly well. The added longevity of the Mago Berry allows Politoed to set rain up multiple times. Many people predict Politoed to be passive, or for it to be switched out often. But, this build allows it to tank a hit and fire back with a 1-2 punch of Icy Wind and a rain boosted Scald, allowing it to take down some pretty serious foes. Toxic and Perish Song helps are for wearing down walls, and preventing set up sweepers from hanging around too long.

Pelipper - This dude is a ninja. Specs boost the SpA to a massive 475. Nobody suspects a thing, and Surf/Hurricane punish everything substantially. Ferrothorn isn’t even really a problem, as this bird 2HKOs most of them. The synergy with 2 ground types, plus the threat of massive damaging attacks make Pelipper really hard to play around. It also takes hits surprisingly well the the health investment.

Swampert - The physical tank. Even without the speed investment, it can be pretty quick. It also gets predicted to be invested with speed, forcing switches and allowing you to predict and punish incoming walls. This is also a great time to set up Stealth Rock, and then KO whatever comes in to try to stand in Swampert’s path. Ice Punch/Earthquake even let you play with hitting Zapdos SE and negating Zapdos’ Roosts.

Kingdra - Obligatory Swift Swim Sweeper. I am still torn as sometimes Dragonium-Z seems to be the better pick, however Hydro Vortex off a Hydro Pump in the rain is just so devastating to almost everything, and the added peace of mind of the accuracy boost allows for some key KOs that can win games. Scald is for burn fishing and guaranteed accuracy without the SpA drop.

Azumarill - Theres not much better than a fat rabbit ripping banded Aqua Jets in the rain. Great for wall breaking, cleaning late game, or sweeping mid game. This thing is a terror. Sometimes I miss the versatility of the Assault Vest, but the main focus is those devastating Aqua Jets. They are needed for runaway enemy sweepers/speed boosters.

Seismitoad - This thing is also highly underrated. LO Hydro Pump in the rain can massacre stuff. It just sucks when it misses, but the power drop from Surf is definitely noticeable. Earth power rounds out good ground coverage combined with Swampert’s Earthquake, so you can hit walls from both sides. The strategy is usually to switch in on a hit you know Seisy can take, then bounce between Hydro Pumping holes in everything and setting up Stealth Rock.

This is the evolution of my first monotype team. The moves, EVs, items, and team members have been honed and experimented with quite a bit. This setup seems to be the most reliable to date.

Offensive mono fire type:

Torkoal@Heat rock
Ability:Drought
Nature:Bold
EVs:252def/252HP/4Spd
-Stealth rock
-Rapid spin
-Lava plume
-Yawn

Torkoal is used for setting up harsh sunlight(thanks to drought) which lasts longer because of heat rock.
It is the best utility Pokemon for mono fire types team.Stealth rock racks up damage on opposing team,while rapid spin removes stealth rock and other entry hazards wich are problematic for those teams

Victiny@Choice Band
Ability:Victory Star
Nature:Jolly
EVS:252Atk/252Spe/4 def
-V-create
-Bolt strike
-U-Turn
-Trick

Victiny is the wallbreaker of this team.It hits ridiculously hard with V-Creat wich is STAB and is boosted by sunshine,and even harder thanks to choice band.Bolt strike nails treats such as Toxapex ,mantine, and pelipper.U-turn allows Victiny to pivot out when the Oppenent is expected to switch Pokémon, allowing another teammate to clean.Trick cripples devensive Pokemon by giving them Choice Band.

Blalecophon@Choice Scarf
Ability:Beast boost
Nature:Timid
EVs:252SAtk/252 Spe/4 spd
-Fire blast
-Shadow ball
-Hidden power Grass
-psychock

Blalecophon is the late game cleaner thanks to Choice scarf.With Fire blast and shadow ball,it can pressure opponents such as Victiny,Celesteela and Tapu Bulu.Hidden power grass allows it to get Remove otherwise problematic Pokémon such as carracosta and gastrodon.Psychock is a decent coverage option,it allows it to pressure foes such as machamp withouth missing and it also targets the defense stat of special walls such as Chansey

Infernape@Choice band
Ability:Iron fist
EVS:252Atk,252Spe/4 Def
-Close combat
-Flare blitz
-U-Turn
-Mach punch

I choosed infernape because of its ability to remove troublsome rock types thanks to STAB Close combat and priority mach punch.These two moves are powered up by Iron fist,making it a powerful wallbreaker.U-turn allows it to pivot out when the foe is expected to switch out.

Heatran@Air balloon
Ability:Flash Fire
Nature:Timid
EVS:252SATk/252 Spe/4 Def
-Magma storm
-Flash cannon
-Taunt
-Earth power

Heatran can check toxapex surprisingly well thanks to taunt to shut it down and acces to earth power,wich allows it to hit it hard along with other Pokémon such as Torkoal and opposing Heatran.Thus,it is a decent stallbreaker.Magma storm and flash cannon can both destroy other Pokémon such as weavile and lycanrock,whereas magma storm can whittle down the opponent’s HP.

Charizard-Mega@CharizarditeX
Ability:Tough claws(blaze before mega evolving)
EVS:252 SAtk,252 Spe/4Def
-Dragon dance
-Outrage
-Flare blitz
-Roost

Mega charizardX is the premier wallbreaker and setup sweeper for mono fire type teams.Dragon dance boosts its speed and attack stat making it even more dangerous.Jolly is prefered over adamant because it can naturally outspeed Kyuerem B.Outrage is boosted by tough claws and allows it to destroyopposing dragons such as garchomp and haxorus,while flare blitz hits hard other Pokémon such as celesteela and ferothorn.Roost recovers its health and allows it to spam freely Dragon dance.

Last edited:
OFFENSIVE PSYCHIC

Hey guys, I am new to Pokémon Showdown and the forum, and I just want to share my mono psychic team that has given me a lot of success against majority of the meta game. Because you guys are experts, I would like to know what changes can I make to make this team the best it can be. Thanks!

Swoobat @ Focus Sash
Ability: Unaware
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Defog
- Toxic
- Endeavor
- Knock Off

Meloetta @ Leftovers
EVs: 200 Def / 252 SpA / 56 SpD
Modest Nature
- Calm Mind
- Relic Song
- Shadow Ball
- Hyper Voice

Alakazam @ Focus Sash
Ability: Magic Guard
Timid Nature
- Counter
- Dazzling Gleam
- Shadow Ball
- Psychic

Jirachi @ Choice Scarf
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Drain Punch
- Zen Headbutt
- Iron Head
- Body Slam

Victini @ Normalium Z
Ability: Victory Star
EVs: 252 SpA / 24 SpD / 232 Spe
Modest Nature
- Celebrate
- Dazzling Gleam
- Thunderbolt
- Searing Shot

Gallade-Mega (M) @ Galladite
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Shadow Sneak
- Psycho Cut
- Drain Punch

This Offensive Psychic team is meant to utilize its speed and abilities of each pokemon to its advantage, while holding its own against type disadvantages. Alakazam and Swoobat are meant to check sweepers, Jirachi is used for its brilliantly annoying ability Serene Grace, Victini and Gallade-Mega to clean everything up with its great speed and offense. The best part about this team is its ability to hold its own against potential threats, resistances, and weaknesses.​

Swoobat's role on this team is simple: Speedy Hazard Removal and/or Sweep Stopper, and running Unaware with a Focus Sash allows u to complete either mission before sacrificing it. Defog is used for removing hazards, Toxic to throw out before fainting, Knock off to remove dangerous items that can be useful for the opposing mon & hit Ghost types , and lastly, Endeavor. Endeavor works well with Swoobat and its Focus Sash and uses its frailness to its advantage. Allowing the opposing mon to hit Swoobat to low HP so Endeavor can match it with the opposing mon so Gallade or other fast options can clean up the mess. If facing a Ghost Mono, Knock Off since they're immune to Endeavor.

Meloetta provides the team with a much needed Ghost immunity, and if played well, a dark and bug resistance as it changes form with Relic Song. As the expert's know, Relic Song not only has a 20% sleep chance and changes the typing from Psychic to Fighting, but it increases Meloetta's speed and defense. Calm Mind to set up its SpD bulk and SpA power, Shadow Ball for the Ghost and Psychic, and STAB Hyper Voice.

Alakazam is another much needed sweep stopper but unlike Swoobat, Alakazam's Magic Guard Ability allows it to not be affected by hazards, weather conditions (hail, sandstorms) leech seeds, and HP-draining statusing moves. With STAB Psychic, Shadow Ball for Ghost and Psychic, Dazzling Gleam for Dark, and Focus Sash-Counter to OHKO physical sweepers, Alakazam is the most versatile pokemon on the team, while utilizing its amazing speed and SpA. A perfect glass cannon.

Victini begins the team's aggressive approach, as Z-move Celebrate gives a boost to all of its stats. And by making Victini a special attacker, it wont be forced to take unnecessary damage from Rocky helmet, Rough Skin or Iron Barb. Dazzling Gleam for Dark and Dragon, T-bolt for the Water weakness, and Searing Shot for STAB. (YES, I UNDERSTAND THERE ARE STRONGER FIRE MOVES LIKE BLUE FLARE & FIRE BLAST but 30% Burn from Searing Shot helps a lot when dealing with Swampert, or other bulky physical attackers... and Searing Shot still does impressive damage)

Jirachi's Serene Grace, along with Choice Scarf, makes it a problem for opposing teams as its ability doubles its secondary effect chances. Running Scarf on it helps it outspeed notoriously quick problems for the team like Tapu Koko or Mega-Pidgeot for example. Drain Punch to heal/counter dark types like Tyranitar, Weavile and Bisharp, STAB Zen Headbutt with a boosted 40% Flinch Chance, STAB Iron Head with a boosted 60% Flinch Chance, and Body Slam to trick incoming counters (like a scarf Hydriegon or Scizor) and give them a 60% chance of paralysis.

Gallade-Mega is the star of the team, as both is pre-mega & mega ability serve great purpose for this team. Justified uses dark type moves to its advantage and raises its already deadly attack stats, while Inner Focus destroys flinching prospects like Mega Lopunny's Fake Out/Frustration antics. Sword Dance to sweep on its boosted ATK. Shadow Sneak for notorious Ghost checks or other fast threats. (Choice Scarf Blacephalon, Latios/Latias, Gengar, etc.) And as mentioned for Swoobat's description, Shadow Sneak is also to clean up fast threat mons already on low health (Tapu Koko, Swift Swim Mega-Swampert, etc.). Psycho-Cut as a STAB that wont take damage from Rocky helmet, Rough Skin or Ferrothorn switch-ins, and a STAB Drain Punch for healing and combating dark types.

Examples:
vs. Dark Mono (Scarf Kookodile)
vs. Dragon Mono (Scarf Hydreigon; Band Dragonite)
vs. Fighting Mono (Heracross-Mega; Scarf Terrakion)
vs. Fighting Mono #2 (Heracross-Mega; Scarf Gallade) [FORFEIT W]
vs. Fire Mono [FORFEIT W]
vs. Flying Mono (Pidgeot-Mega) [FORFEIT W]
vs. Grass Mono (Sceptile-Mega)
vs. Normal Mono (Lopunny-Mega; Scarf Ditto)
vs. Poison Mono (Venusaur-Mega; Gluttony Muk-Alola)
vs. Poison Mono #2 (Venusaur-Mega; Scarf Nihilego)
vs. Psychic Mono (Gallade-Mega; Stall Latias; Sash Alakazam)
vs. Psychic Mono #2 (Gallade-Mega)
vs. Rock Mono (Diance-Mega)
vs. Steel Mono (Scizor-Mega)
vs. Steel Mono #2 (Stall Celesteela) [FORFEIT W]

Last edited:
OFFENSIVE PSYCHIC

Hey guys, I am new to Pokémon Showdown and the forum, and I just want to share my mono psychic team that has given me a lot of success against majority of the meta game. Because you guys are experts, I would like to know what changes can I make to make this team the best it can be. Thanks!

Swoobat @ Focus Sash
Jolly Nature
- Defog
- Toxic
- Endeavor
- Knock Off

Meloetta @ Leftovers
Modest Nature
- Calm Mind
- Relic Song
- Shadow Ball
- Hyper Voice

Alakazam @ Focus Sash
Timid Nature
- Counter
- Dazzling Gleam
- Shadow Ball
- Psychic

Jirachi @ Choice Scarf
Adamant Nature
- Drain Punch
- Zen Headbutt
- Iron Head
- Body Slam

Victini @ Normalium Z
Modest Nature
- Celebrate
- Dazzling Gleam
- Thunderbolt
- Searing Shot

Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Shadow Sneak
- Psycho Cut
- Drain Punch

This Offensive Psychic team is meant to utilize its speed and abilities of each pokemon to its advantage, while holding its own against type disadvantages. Alakazam and Swoobat are meant to check sweepers, Jirachi is used for its brilliantly annoying ability Serene Grace, Victini and Gallade-Mega to clean everything up with its great speed and offense. The best part about this team is its ability to hold its own against potential threats, resistances, and weaknesses.​

Swoobat's role on this team is simple: Speedy Hazard Removal and/or Sweep Stopper, and running Unaware with a Focus Sash allows u to complete either mission before sacrificing it. Defog is used for removing hazards, Toxic to throw out before fainting, Knock off to remove dangerous items that can be useful for the opposing mon & hit Ghost types , and lastly, Endeavor. Endeavor works well with Swoobat and its Focus Sash and uses its frailness to its advantage. Allowing the opposing mon to hit Swoobat to low HP so Endeavor can match it with the opposing mon so Gallade or other fast options can clean up the mess. If facing a Ghost Mono, Knock Off since they're immune to Endeavor.

Meloetta provides the team with a much needed Ghost immunity, and if played well, a dark and bug resistance as it changes form with Relic Song. As the expert's know, Relic Song not only has a 20% sleep chance and changes the typing from Psychic to Fighting, but it increases Meloetta's speed and defense. Calm Mind to set up its SpD bulk and SpA power, Shadow Ball for the Ghost and Psychic, and STAB Hyper Voice.

Alakazam is another much needed sweep stopper but unlike Swoobat, Alakazam's Magic Guard Ability allows it to not be affected by hazards, weather conditions (hail, sandstorms) leech seeds, and HP-draining statusing moves. With STAB Psychic, Shadow Ball for Ghost and Psychic, Dazzling Gleam for Dark, and Focus Sash-Counter to OHKO physical sweepers, Alakazam is the most versatile pokemon on the team, while utilizing its amazing speed and SpA. A perfect glass cannon.

Victini begins the team's aggressive approach, as Z-move Celebrate gives a boost to all of its stats. And by making Victini a special attacker, it wont be forced to take unnecessary damage from Rocky helmet, Rough Skin or Iron Barb. Dazzling Gleam for Dark and Dragon, T-bolt for the Water weakness, and Searing Shot for STAB. (YES, I UNDERSTAND THERE ARE STRONGER FIRE MOVES LIKE BLUE FLARE & FIRE BLAST but 30% Burn from Searing Shot helps a lot when dealing with Swampert, or other bulky SpD mons.... and Searing Shot still does impressive damage)

Jirachi's Serene Grace, along with Choice Scarf, makes it a problem for opposing teams as its ability doubles its secondary effect chances. Running Scarf on it helps it outspeed notoriously quick problems for the team like Tapu Koko or Mega-Pidgeot for example. Drain Punch to heal/counter dark types like Tyranitar, Weavile and Bisharp, STAB Zen Headbutt with a boosted 40% Flinch Chance, STAB Iron Head with a boosted 60% Flinch Chance, and Body Slam to trick incoming counters (like a scarf Hydriegon or Scizor) and give them a 60% chance of paralysis.

Gallade-Mega is the star of the team, as both is pre-mega & mega ability serve great purpose for this team. Justified uses dark type moves to its advantage and raises its already deadly attack stats, while Inner Focus destroys flinching prospects like Mega Lopunny's Fake Out/Frustration antics. Sword Dance to sweep on its boosted ATK. Shadow Sneak for notorious Ghost checks or other fast threats. (Choice Scarf Blacephalon, Latios/Latias, Gengar, etc.) And as mentioned for Swoobat's description, Shadow Sneak is also to clean up fast threat mons already on low health (Tapu Koko, Swift Swim Mega-Swampert, etc.). Psycho-Cut as a STAB that wont take damage from Rocky helmet, Rough Skin or Ferrothorn switch-ins, and a STAB Drain Punch for healing and combating dark types.

Examples:
vs. Dragon Mono
vs. Flying Mono (Pidgeot-Mega)

While I respect the swooby I will say that I feel that their weakness to rocks and lack of recovery greatly diminishes the purpose of having a focus sash. As well as it's fragility that means that somebody who outspeeds or knows a priority move (like shadow sneak) can easily pick them off.

tier

PUPL Champion
While I respect the swooby I will say that I feel that their weakness to rocks and lack of recovery greatly diminishes the purpose of having a focus sash. As well as it's fragility that means that somebody who outspeeds or knows a priority move (like shadow sneak) can easily pick them off.
regardless this is a more rmt style team to begin with rather than a sample

if theres a known mon that you know uses a specific priority move that is strong enough to KO Swoobat, then I wouldn't switch it in tbh. Swoobat is meant to be used as a panic button pokemon, when the opposing team has a potential sweeper and is looking for the "easy win". Unaware makes it that a boosted mon won't KO it while doing what it needs to do. Its speed allows it to defog with an outspeed in the upper echelon of the meta even if affected by stealth rocks.

OFFENSIVE PSYCHIC

Swoobat @ Focus Sash
Jolly Nature
- Defog
- Toxic
- Endeavor
- Knock Off

Meloetta @ Leftovers
Modest Nature
- Calm Mind
- Relic Song
- Shadow Ball
- Hyper Voice

Alakazam @ Focus Sash
Timid Nature
- Counter
- Dazzling Gleam
- Shadow Ball
- Psychic

Jirachi @ Choice Scarf
Adamant Nature
- Drain Punch
- Zen Headbutt
- Iron Head
- Body Slam

Victini @ Normalium Z
Modest Nature
- Celebrate
- Dazzling Gleam
- Thunderbolt
- Searing Shot

Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Shadow Sneak
- Psycho Cut
- Drain Punch

Victini begins the team's aggressive approach, as Z-move Celebrate gives a boost to all of its stats. And by making Victini a special attacker, it wont be forced to take unnecessary damage from Rocky helmet, Rough Skin or Iron Barb. Dazzling Gleam for Dark and Dragon, T-bolt for the Water weakness, and Searing Shot for STAB. (YES, I UNDERSTAND THERE ARE STRONGER FIRE MOVES LIKE BLUE FLARE & FIRE BLAST but 30% Burn from Searing Shot helps a lot when dealing with Swampert, or other bulky physical attackers... and Searing Shot still does impressive damage)

Examples:
vs. Dark Mono (Scarf Kookodile)
vs. Dragon Mono (Scarf Hydreigon; Band Dragonite)
vs. Fighting Mono #2 (Heracross-Mega; Scarf Gallade) [FORFEIT W]
vs. Flying Mono (Pidgeot-Mega)
vs. Grass Mono (Sceptile-Mega)
vs. Poison Mono #2 (Venusaur-Mega; Scarf Nihilego)
vs. Psychic Mono #2 (Gallade-Mega)
vs. Rock Mono (Diance-Mega)
vs. Steel Mono #2 (Stall Celesteela) [FORFEIT W]
Alakazam can not have Magic Guard and Counter. Counter is a gen 3 move tutor so can't be HA. Surprised Showdown let you ladder with that team

roxie

https://www.youtube.com/@noxiousroxie
is a Tutoris a Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
OFFENSIVE ROCK

View attachment 187282View attachment 187283View attachment 187284View attachment 187285View attachment 187286View attachment 187287
Regirock @ Assault Vest
Ability: Clear Body
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 Def / 252 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Drain Punch
- Earthquake
- Rock Slide
- Stone Edge

Aerodactyl-Mega @ Aerodactylite
Jolly Nature
- Aerial Ace
- Crunch
- Earthquake
- Rock Slide

Stakataka @ Assault Vest
EVs: 156 HP / 100 Def / 252 SpD
Adamant Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Earthquake
- Gyro Ball
- Iron Head
- Rock Slide

Barbaracle @ Rockium Z
Jolly Nature
- Liquidation
- Stone Edge
- Shell Smash
- Low Kick

Nihilego @ Assault Vest
EVs: 128 HP / 252 SpA / 128 Spe
Modest Nature
- Hidden Power [Grass]
- Dazzling Gleam
- Power Gem
- Sludge Bomb

Terrakion @ Assault Vest
EVs: 4 HP / 188 Atk / 128 Def / 188 Spe
- Sacred Sword
- Earthquake
- Iron Head
- Rock Slide
Regirock- Regirock's place on this team is as the tankier Pokemon so you don't get completely destroyed. Regirock can take a good few hits from most moves.
Aerodactyl-Mega- Aerodactyl is your fast sweeper. Not much else to say but you can also swap the moves around I haven't found the best set yet but this is pretty good.
Stakataka- Your second tank. Stakataka is literally the beefiest pokemon ever no kidding like 500 def and 600 Spd with assault vest. The attack isn't bad either it's actually pretty good. But the real fun is Gyroball. 31 speed on Stakataka pretty much leaves max possible damage(150) on all pokemon.
Barbaracle- If you can get two shell smashes in its GG on any type. Doesn't matter. I got like 600 atk and 1000 speed once and it's just... death and destruction. Watch out for priority moves like bullet punch or shadow sneak or whatever you'll probably die to those 90% of the time.
Nihilego- Grass check. SpA and SpD instead of the normal rock atk def so its different then the others.
Terrakion- Terrakion is your more balanced pokemon. His stats aren't lopsided facing all towards attack and defense.

Thank you for reading all this if you even did!
Check out some samples,
+2 252 Atk Technician Scizor-Mega Bullet Punch vs. -2 0 HP / 0 Def Barbaracle: 387-456 (135.7 - 160%) -- guaranteed OHKO
by time you set up, its at -2 defense, bullet punch just kills, or it chips before you setup
Your descriptions are inaccurate as in usage and the specific roles of mons. nihilego does not always check grass, ferrothorn exists along with cradily, does it pressure yes, not so much. https://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/monotype-usm-viability-rankings.3622349/

Alakazam can not have Magic Guard and Counter. Counter is a gen 3 move tutor so can't be HA. Surprised Showdown let you ladder with that team
I've been told that Pokémon Virtual Console allows you to play older games on newer consoles. Somehow it allows you to get the older moves (counter) and still give them their Hidden Abilities when transfered over.

You can be pretty sure Showdown has most of those things right. They, for example, don't even allow multiple Kyurem-B's or -W's in Anything Goes because you can officially only have one in the console games.

if theres a known mon that you know uses a specific priority move that is strong enough to KO Swoobat, then I wouldn't switch it in tbh. Swoobat is meant to be used as a panic button pokemon, when the opposing team has a potential sweeper and is looking for the "easy win". Unaware makes it that a boosted mon won't KO it while doing what it needs to do. Its speed allows it to defog with an outspeed in the upper echelon of the meta even if affected by stealth rocks.
Assault vest Muk (Dark) vs Your Exact Swoobat

0 Atk Muk-Alola Knock Off (97.5 BP) vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Swoobat: 354-416 (104.7 - 123%) -- guaranteed OHKO

Because you got hit with Stealth Rocks, the sash wouldn't save you.

Assault vest Muk (Dark) vs Your Exact Swoobat

0 Atk Muk-Alola Knock Off (97.5 BP) vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Swoobat: 354-416 (104.7 - 123%) -- guaranteed OHKO

Because you got hit with Stealth Rocks, the sash wouldn't save you.
I don't think u read (or comprehended) what he said. 1) the point of Swoobat is hazard removal (which it would do since it has the outspeed on Alolan-Muk) or endeavor. 2) Why would he switch in a Swoobat against an Alolan-Muk with a free Knock off? especially when he made clear that Swoobat was used as hazard removal mon. 3) Based on his explanation, he would either hazard remove with Swoobat and sacrifice it then KO-ed the Muk with Alakazam Counter, or switch it with Gallade for the Justified/Drain Punch combo. It pays to read

Balanced Ground

Garchomp @ Dragonium Z
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Outrage
- Earthquake
- Substitute

Landorus @ Life Orb
Timid Nature
- Earth Power
- Sludge Wave
- Gravity
- Stealth Rock

Impish Nature
- Heavy Slam
- Curse
- Rest
- Sleep Talk

Excadrill @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Mold Breaker
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Iron Head
- Rapid Spin
- Rock Slide

Mamoswine @ Choice Band
Ability: Thick Fat
Adamant Nature
- Ice Shard
- Icicle Crash
- Earthquake
- Superpower

Gastrodon (F) @ Rindo Berry / Leftovers
Ability: Storm Drain
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpA
Bold Nature
- Scald
- Recover
- Toxic
- Mirror Coat / Clear Smog
Thought the current Ground samples with Dugtrio were outdated, so submitting a fairly standard sandless ground team
Garchomp is the physical wallbreaker of the time, allowing ground to much more easily deal with pokemon such as Venusaur and break defensive cores or clean once it's defensive answers and faster mons are dealt with. Sub SD is able to set up on predicted switches, sacks, or otherwise passive/status reliant mons.
Landorus is the team special wallbreaker and rocks setter, able to dent most pokemon with it's Sheer Force and Life Orb boosted attacks. Sludge Wave is used for fairy / grass types and Gravity is to get past airborn threats such as Celesteela, Skarmory, Rotom-Wash, etc.
Steelix-Mega is the physical wall of the team while doubling as a bulky set up sweeper. Steelix's main selling point is it's ability to deal with non disable Bulu and Azumarill and being a secondary wincon once all opposing special attackers have been dealt with, however due to only having Heavy Slam as it's attack, in other matchups such Water/Steel it's better to use it as a sack/status sponge.
Excadrill is the speed control, spinner, and late game cleaner. Mold Breaker allows it to deal with Rotom-Wash, something that Ground typically struggles against, Rock Slide is used to help vs Volcarona,Charizard-Y. and hitting Mantine on the switch-in.
Mamoswine functions as a wallbreaker, Ice resist due to thick fat, and potential cleaner against low health teams due to ice shard. Mamoswine is invaluable in matchups such as Flying, Dragon, Grass, and Ground, as all of the aforementioned types struggle to repeatedly switch into banded Icicle Crash, and are easily able to be sweeper by Ice Shard in the late game.
Gastrodon is the water immunity of the team, able to switch into Specs Keldeo, Scarf Greninja, and other water type attacks. Toxic is to cripple the water types it switches into, as well as making Gastrodon more threatening to set-up sweepers, while the option of Rindo Berry helps vs Charizard-Y and Expert Belt Greninja, it can also opt to run Clear Smog with leftovers, preventing mons such as Latias-Mega or Kommo-o from becoming a huge threat to the team.

Last edited:

mushamu

God jihyo
is a Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Former Smogon Metagame Tournament Circuit Champion
I'll be running this thread from now to the end of the generation.
Never pmed Eien about it so I'll just give you feedback on this now. Run defensive Pelipper with Knock Off and U-Turn for utility and slow pivoting respectively? Choice Specs Pelipper doesn't really make sense on this team considering you have Manaphy and Mega Swampert to put a lot of pressure on Poison. Greninja's set could go Expert Belt with BoltBeam / Grass Knot / Dark Pulse coverage in order to break apart Flying / Water teams as well as an edge against Psychic with Dark Pulse, and probably HP Poison over HP Electric on Keldeo for Tapu Bulu. Put Sludge Bomb over Baneful Bunker on Toxapex too, being 100% Substitute Tapu Bulu bait is never good. Approved after making changes

For the Dark, I think we could do Ice Punch > Earthquake on Mega Tyranitar (helps with Gliscor, non Choice Scarf Landorus-T, Garchomp, Kommo-O). Should also make Hydriegon stallbreaker with Dragonium Z since it can muscle through Poison better to make up for the lack of Earthquake on Mega Tyranitar and Dark Pulse spam is also good against Steel. Toxic Spikes > Hydro Pump on Greninja for additional support against Fairy alongside Muk too especially since Hydro Pump doesn't add much super effective coverage. I'll add this if you make these changes.

We can probably drop the first HO Steel since we only need one and the Skarmory one looks good. Either do Adamant on Mega Scizor or Knock Off > Superpower, since Jolly being able to outspeed slower Zapdos is nice combined with Knock Off. Rapid Spin > Rock Slide on Excadrill for removal as well as Stone Edge or Toxic over HP Ice on Heatran since you get outsped by faster Gliscor spreads anyways. I'll add the second Steel if you make these changes and put it over the current sample.

For the sandless Ground I think Stealth Rock > Outrage and Stone Edge > Fire Fang along with Rockium Z could be good to keep up Stealth Rock against Flying, and frees up Landorus to run Sludge Wave > Stealth Rock and helps with Fairy and Grass. Should do Knock Off Mamoswine here too, its more useful being able to spam it freely against Psychic and helps with Normal's Eviolite core. I'll add these if you make these changes.

I think what we have right now is fine for Poison samples. Rejected.

For the Fairy, should do Rockium Jolly Tapu Bulu to beat Zapdos over Fightinium. Knock Off Rocky Helmet Clefable is pretty good here for Alolan Muk. Babiri Clefable seems useless because you're losing to Steel and Scizor anyways if you're keyless Fairy and Clefable's going to get chipped setting Stealth Rock against Bug. Also, Defog > U-Turn on Tapu Koko here, as it helps with Toxapex's Toxic Spikes, if you're trying to really beat Poison with the Azumarill and Mega Diancie sets you may as well use that. Make these changes for the second Fairy team and I'll add it.

This is pretty similar to the Ground team we have right now. I'll reject this, but you may post suggestions for current sample teams if you'd like.
We'll be using Harpp's offensive Dark. Rejected.
Trick Room Ghost isn't good enough, and on top of that its hard to pilot for a beginner, so it won't get a sample. Rejected.
Nice team but needs changes, so we'll be using Harpp's offensive Steel. Rejected.
Looks more like a balanced Normal with suboptimal sets than a mostly offensive one. Either way, what we have for Normal samples is fine right now and I don't think we need an offensive one considering offensive Normal teams are typically underwhelming. Rejected
Choice Band Lucario and Stealth Rock Kommo-O are suboptimal sets, so both of the teams need fixing. Rejected.
Honestly looks like a decent team, but I don't think its worth having a sample team that's very similar to the sand Ground teams we have right now since its essentially just that + Mega Steelix. Rejected.
Has a lot of unviable sets like AV Greninja and Pokemon like Malamar, Guzzlord, and Zoroark. Rejected

Rock needs Sticky Web and this team has a lot of suboptimal Pokemon. Rejected.
Looks a bit outdated for a rain Water team. Rain nowadays carries Toxapex while Kingdra and Azumarill have been falling out of fashion. You don't need two rain setters too, Pelipper is enough. We'll be using Tapo Collino's rain Water team so this is rejected.
I don't think we need another Fire sample. This is rejected, but you may post recommendations for the current samples if you want to.

Has suboptimal sets like Choice Scarf Body Slam Jirachi and an unviable Pokemon in Swoobat. We already have a good offensive Psychic sample by smub so this is rejected.

Looks like a decent team. Yours is similar and also good, but still needs changes and we'll be using Harpp's sandless Ground on page 11. Rejected.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)