Resource Monotype Sample Teams

Status
Not open for further replies.

Harpp

No rain, no flowers.
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Hyper Offense Flying

Aerodactyl @ Focus Sash
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Taunt
- Rock Slide
- Earthquake

Charizard-Mega-Y @ Charizardite Y
Ability: Drought
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Fire Blast
- Solar Beam
- Focus Blast
- Hidden Power [Electric]

Dragonite @ Choice Band
Ability: Multiscale
Adamant Nature
- Outrage
- Superpower
- Fire Punch
- Extreme Speed

Landorus-Therian @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Intimidate
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge
- U-turn
- Defog

Thundurus-Therian @ Electrium Z
Ability: Volt Absorb
Timid Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Nasty Plot
- Agility

Celesteela @ Metronome
Ability: Beast Boost
Timid Nature
- Autotomize
- Air Slash
- Flamethrower
- Flash Cannon

Hyper offense flying teams have seen good usage as of late for both ladder and tours and so I believe it needs to be showcased on the sample thread. The team I have here is similar to the Hyper Offense Flying I got RMTed few months ago however as the metagame progressed and adapted to new threats and types, I have made changes to the team accordingly.
We have Suicide lead Aerodactyl with Stealth Rock and Taunt support as well as having Rock Slide and Earthquake which is a very good coverage. Next we have Mega Charizard Y to make match ups such as Steel and Ice easier for the team. Choice Band Dragonite plays an important role here as it not only wallbreaks along with Mega Charizard Y but it also takes care of threats such as Belly Drum Azumarill with Extremespeed which DD Dragonite sets cannot do immediately. Next up, DD Thundurus T as the teams main set up sweeper with its Bolt Beam coverage and Z move to get past checks such as Alolan Muk. It is also a great asset against mirror Flying match ups. Choice Scarf Landorur T as the speed control to take care of Mega Diancie and Tapu KoKo as well providing the team with emergency Defog. Lastly, Metronome Celesteela to break up defensive cores such as that of Water for the team and open ways for other offensive teammates to win.

mushamu

God jihyo
is a Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Former Smogon Metagame Tournament Circuit Champion
Changes for the existing sample teams

Balanced Dark

Slashing Spikes over Hydro Pump on Greninja

Greninja enjoys having a move to pivot with so it would rather run Spikes over Hydro Pump, something that doesn't really add much super effective coverage outside of a few things. You could slash the alternative physical Greninja spread since you're mono Ice Beam but idk up to you
Greninja @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Protean
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- U-turn
- Ice Beam
- Gunk Shot
- Hydro Pump / Spikes

Fairy

Small change: Running 4 Defense on Tapu Koko over Special Defense
lets Tapu Koko avoid the OHKO from Gliscor's Earthquake which I think is useful and should be noted.
0 Atk Gliscor Earthquake vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Tapu Koko: 236-282 (83.9 - 100.3%) -- 6.3% chance to OHKO
0 Atk Gliscor Earthquake vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Tapu Koko: 236-278 (83.9 - 98.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
Tapu Koko @ Magnet
Ability: Electric Surge
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Taunt
- U-turn

Offensive Fighting

Running Close Combat or Earthquake on Kommo-O over Poison Jab

Fighting as a type isn't going to be beating Fairy most of the time anyway, so Kommo-O appreciates a better coverage move over Poison Jab.
Bulletproof > Soundproof
Normal teams as a whole aren't going to be as much of a problem towards Fighting so I think Kommo-O enjoys having Bulletproof to check Mega Venusaur better here.
Kommo-o @ Kommonium Z
Ability: Bulletproof
Naive Nature
- Clanging Scales
- Flamethrower
- Close Combat / Earthquake
- Taunt

Offensive Ground

Seismitoad needs more Speed

Jolly Azumarill is much more common nowadays so I think running more speed on Seismitoad would reflect this as it allows it to outspeed and check it with Sludge Wave while preventing the rest of the Ground team from being swept by it.
Seismitoad @ Assault Vest
Ability: Water Absorb
EVs: 116 HP / 252 SpA / 140 Spe
Modest Nature
- Scald
- Earth Power
- Sludge Wave
- Knock Off

Vincune Balance Water

Making Greninja Naive over Hasty

Lets it take priority such as Dragonite's ExtreemeSpeed better
Greninja @ Groundium Z
Naive Nature
- Ice Beam
- Extrasensory
- Dig
- Hidden Power [Electric]

Hello, I had looked at the psychic sample team thread and had noticed that it lacked a variety of Z users and since Z celebrate has been released for a while i decided to build a team for it !

Victini @ Normalium Z
Ability: Victory Star
Timid Nature
- Celebrate
- Searing Shot
- Stored Power
- Focus Blast

Deoxys-Speed @ Focus Sash
Timid Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Taunt
- Psycho Boost
- Spikes

Gallade @ Galladite
Ability: Justified
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Close Combat
- Zen Headbutt
- Substitute

Meloetta @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Serene Grace
Timid Nature
- Psychic
- Shadow Ball
- U-turn
- Focus Blast

Latios @ Soul Dew
Ability: Levitate
Timid Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Psyshock
- Defog
- Roost

Metagross @ Choice Band
Ability: Clear Body
EVs: 84 HP / 252 Atk / 172 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Bullet Punch
- Thunder Punch
- Meteor Mash
- Pursuit

The team is based around hazard stack with pursuit trapper metagross to punish latios, one of the few defoggers that can remove hazards against a team like this. During the testing of this team, I had tried screens Deoxys with light clay, life orb with thunderbolt and ice beam, and this sash set you see here is the set I got the most wins with. Scarf Meloetta allows the team to check mimikyu and other ghost types since the team lacks a defensive presence. Since Meloetta is scarf, that allowed me to run soul dew Latios which does rather well, but I am not too familiar with the calculations on this pokemon. Lastly, Mega Gallade has substitute so Mega Sharpedo doesn't automatically beat the team, however, it is the biggest threat to the team.
EDIT: I forgot to discuss how victini alone pressures steel more than a choiced victini, after rocks and some damage on heatran Victini can sweep by itself.

Last edited:

Fusion Flare

i have hired this cat to stare at you
is a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributor
what about dragalge? i feel its a great mon on dragon teams because lets be honest the last thing that any dragon team wants to face is a giant gem princess moonblasting the hell out of your dragon teams

Cam

The Colby Covington Of Smogon
is a Tiering Contributoris a defending SCL Champion
Dragalge is a C rank pokemon on dragon teams. Sure it has a niche of loosely checking mega diancie and other fairies. But for the most part Dragon can deal with individual fairy types placed on a team. Mega Diancie is a huge threat to dragon yes, but the lack of check on dragon and how inefficient dragalge is at checking it anyway makes it fairly unviable aside from on more niche teams.

Mega Diancie can only be used on Rock and Fairy, both of switch are matchups that aren't in Dragons favor. Rock having other threats such as nihilego which can run dazzling gleam or hp ice and is commonly scarf and also having Ice punch rhyperior and other threats making it a hard matchup. And fairy which is just obviously a very hard matchup for dragon.

Sample teams are supposed to be the optimal ways to run a type, and where dragon can run dragalge and other pokemon to prepare for fairy, it weakens its matchups against other types which isn't worth the tradeoff for prepping for an individual matchup/ pokemon. That's why Dragalge isn't higher, it fits very few roles on a dragon team and in all likelihood, if your opponent plays correctly and you aren't outplaing them hard, mega diancie is still going to moonblast through your dragon team after a couple of dragalge switchins

Fusion Flare

i have hired this cat to stare at you
is a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributor
eh. seems fair. although lead garchomp could attempt to earthquake diancie, all the player would do is switch into bulu. so i can kinda see how that wouldn't work

Cam

The Colby Covington Of Smogon
is a Tiering Contributoris a defending SCL Champion
Balanced Flying Team

Noivern @ Choice Specs
Ability: Frisk
Timid Nature
- Switcheroo
- Dragon Pulse
- Flamethrower
- Boomburst

Pidgeot-Mega @ Pidgeotite
Ability: No Guard
Timid Nature
- Defog
- Roost
- Heat Wave
- Hurricane

Minior @ Focus Sash
Ability: Shields Down
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Shell Smash
- Acrobatics
- Rock Slide
- Earthquake

Thundurus-Therian @ Assault Vest
Ability: Volt Absorb
Timid Nature
- Flash Cannon
- Psychic
- Thunderbolt
- Sludge Wave

Celesteela @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 Atk / 152 Def / 104 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Protect
- Leech Seed
- Toxic
- Heavy Slam

Dragonite @ Lum Berry
Ability: Multiscale
EVs: 252 Atk / 40 SpD / 216 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Iron Head
- Extreme Speed
- Dragon Claw

Description=
Mega Pidgeot used as a fast defogger.. STAB Hurricane, Heat Wave for Ice, Roost for recovery and to minus flying typing for a turn
Dragonite with Multiscale gives a Boost on defense to setup while Lum Berry allows at least one Dance w/o status... STAB Dclaw, Iron Head to cover Weaknesses, Extreme Speed
Thundurus-T takes away Electric weakness with Volt Absorb and Vest makes it more bulkier SPD... Flash cannon for Ice and Rock, Psychic, STAB Tbolt, Sludge Wave
Celesteela (arguably most important) bulky/stall pokemon with Leftovers and resists Rock and Ice.. Protect, Leech Seed for pseudo recovery and Toxic drains opponents twice as fast, and STAB Heavy Slam.
Noivern (arguably most important) on this team to cause havoc, speedy pokemon with Switcheroo Specs onto Physical Attackers or Hazard Set-up pokemon… Boomburst, Flamethrower for Ice and STAB Dragon Pulse
Minior (don't use until needed) used as a sweep stopper with Sash as well as physical sweeper with Shell Smash + Shields Down (improves speed and atk)… Acrobatics STAB and boost from going down to sash, STAB Rock Slide for Ice, Earthquake for Electric, Rock, Steel
Your input on the thread is appreciated but I feel like you either haven't read the OP or don't fully understand it. More specifically this part of it:

While flying is a very versatile type you're using a lot of the more inferior options the type has to offer. Your descriptions are brief and do not prove anything about how the team would work. For example the only common set on your team is the Celesteela one, the rest of the sets and certain pokemon aren't used in mono / on mono flying teams. To find out what pokemon are generally viable on different types you can use the Viability Rankings which have information and rankings on generally what each type uses or needs on a team.
As stated in the OP this thread is for tested teams that are standard use in the metagame, not niche teams that work in few situations or teams that vary greatly from the norm to rely upon success. Your sort of post might be more suitable for the Rate My team section of the forums

How are teams with mons like Cradily, Rotom-W, Zapdos, Skarmory, and Clefable offensive teams? Those are defensive mons, right?

Offensive teams can still utilize defensive pivots to serve as damage sponges for their frailer offensive threats. Clefable on Fairy example can switch into stuff like Mega Lopunny as well as status moves, while also setting Stealth Rocks.
That makes sense! Thank you~

Offensive Trick Room Rock

I climbed 1550 ladder with this team and i love it because games are really quick.
I would love any commentary on it, even if you think it is not good at all just explain me why please :)

Gigalith @ Custap Berry
Ability: Sand Stream
EVs: 252 HP / 64 Def / 192 SpD
Careful Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Explosion
- Stone Edge

Lycanroc @ Lycanium Z
Ability: Sand Rush
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Accelerock
- Stone Edge
- Drill Run

Diancie-Mega @ Diancite
Ability: Magic Bounce
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 Def / 252 SpA
Quiet Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Moonblast
- Diamond Storm
- Earth Power
- Trick Room

Stakataka @ Air Balloon
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD
Lonely Nature
IVs: 14 Def / 0 Spe
- Trick Room
- Gyro Ball
- Stone Edge
- Earthquake

Tyrantrum @ Choice Band
Ability: Rock Head
Brave Nature
- Head Smash
- Outrage
- Superpower
- Earthquake

Tyranitar @ Choice Scarf
Jolly Nature
- Crunch
- Fire Punch
- Ice Punch
- Superpower

Introduction : I have been very successful with this HO which relies upon both trick room and sand. It destroys offensive teams but struggle a bit against the more defensive ones
Basically there are 3 (4) types you really don't want to play against with this team : steel, water, ground (i never encountered grass but i guess this is the same)
For all others types, I had a good positive winrate
--> AND YES, you will win against Fighting (especially without cobalium) #Dianciethegod

the game plan is quite simple : almost always lead on gigalith : SR + explosion and then go on the most appropriate sweeper until his death (or not if really necessary). Very often it will first be diancie or stakataka against a threatening close combat or a earthquake and lycanrock will often finish the game.
you don't need to do a lot of switches with this team ^^.

I currently play diancie-mega but I have a little dilemme between diancie-mega and tyranitar-mega to have a better match up against either toxapex or scizor which are both in the top 10 of monotype usages.

Gigalith : a mix between suicide lead and specially defensive. Sand stream is too important for this team, and explosion is better than toxic because you want to sacrifice gigalith anyway to have momentum. the 64 EVs in def is to be bulky enough to both tank a secret sword and hydro pump from a choice specs Keldeo. It also allows to tank the majority of supereffective attacks without band. I think only gallade-mega can 100% OHKO without band

Diancie : Trick room sweeper. full def to tank heavy superpower/close combat before mega-evo and play the trick room. Sometimes magic bounce can be useful and u can lead with diancie if you think it will be necessary (toxic spikes or sticky web). mega-evo or not can be tricky with the power/speed questions.
I don't like psychic over earth power because the only use i see is for venusaur-mega which isn't so difficult to kill with the sand and band tyrantrum but it still 2OHKO toxapex.

Lycanroc : after a sword dance this thing can kill almost everything with the Z-move and can still makes holes without one. Moreover, sand rush allows lycanroc to outspeed everything under sand and to have an adamant nature. In particular, you will need him to kill skarmory and celesteela.
the repart is to outspeed excadrill in sand (so every pokemon in the game). Actually the 84 EVs in Hp never mattered in my games so maybe it is better with 252 in speed when there isn't the sand. Accelerock is here because I needed a priority in the team and I prefer it over sucker punch because of the failure part xD .

Stakataka : Very basic repart to win attack on a kill. the balloon is here because i don't have any ground resistance so it allows to at least trick room. tyrantrum can then finish a kill if stakataka has been walled (lol).

Tyrantrum : the dragon type allows to come on grass/water threats, take a hit and kills the annoying pokemon. he doesn't win a game alone but almost always kills 1 or 2 pokemon. under trick room he is godlike.

Tyranitar : I needed another sand setter for the team (spe def to set up trick room and speed for lycanroc). choice scarf and his movepool allows to revenge kill some threats that his teamates cannot tank/kill .

Offensive Trick Room Rock

I climbed 1550 ladder with this team and i love it because games are really quick.
I would love any commentary on it, even if you think it is not good at all just explain me why please :)

Gigalith @ Custap Berry
EVs: 252 HP / 64 Def / 192 SpD
Careful Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Explosion
- Stone Edge

Lycanroc @ Lycanium Z
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Accelerock
- Stone Edge
- Drill Run

Diancie-Mega @ Diancite
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 Def / 252 SpA
Quiet Nature
- Moonblast
- Diamond Storm
- Earth Power
- Trick Room

Stakataka @ Air Balloon
Lonely Nature
IVs: 14 Def / 0 Spe
- Trick Room
- Gyro Ball
- Stone Edge
- Earthquake

Tyrantrum @ Choice Band
Ability: Rock Head
Brave Nature
- Head Smash
- Outrage
- Superpower
- Earthquake

Tyranitar @ Choice Scarf
Jolly Nature
- Crunch
- Fire Punch
- Ice Punch
- Superpower

Introduction : I have been very successful with this HO which relies upon both trick room and sand. It destroys offensive teams but struggle a bit against the more defensive ones
Basically there are 3 (4) types you really don't want to play against with this team : steel, water, ground (i never encountered grass but i guess this is the same)
For all others types, I had a good positive winrate
--> AND YES, you will win against Fighting (especially without cobalium) #Dianciethegod

the game plan is quite simple : almost always lead on gigalith : SR + explosion and then go on the most appropriate sweeper until his death (or not if really necessary). Very often it will first be diancie or stakataka against a threatening close combat or a earthquake and lycanrock will often finish the game.
you don't need to do a lot of switches with this team ^^.

I currently play diancie-mega but I have a little dilemme between diancie-mega and tyranitar-mega to have a better match up against either toxapex or scizor which are both in the top 10 of monotype usages.

Gigalith : a mix between suicide lead and specially defensive. Sand stream is too important for this team, and explosion is better than toxic because you want to sacrifice gigalith anyway to have momentum. the 64 EVs in def is to be bulky enough to both tank a secret sword and hydro pump from a choice specs Keldeo. It also allows to tank the majority of supereffective attacks without band. I think only gallade-mega can 100% OHKO without band

Diancie : Trick room sweeper. full def to tank heavy superpower/close combat before mega-evo and play the trick room. Sometimes magic bounce can be useful and u can lead with diancie if you think it will be necessary (toxic spikes or sticky web). mega-evo or not can be tricky with the power/speed questions.
I don't like psychic over earth power because the only use i see is for venusaur-mega which isn't so difficult to kill with the sand and band tyrantrum but it still 2OHKO toxapex.

Lycanroc : after a sword dance this thing can kill almost everything with the Z-move and can still makes holes without one. Moreover, sand rush allows lycanroc to outspeed everything under sand and to have an adamant nature. In particular, you will need him to kill skarmory and celesteela.
the repart is to outspeed excadrill in sand (so every pokemon in the game). Actually the 84 EVs in Hp never mattered in my games so maybe it is better with 252 in speed when there isn't the sand. Accelerock is here because I needed a priority in the team and I prefer it over sucker punch because of the failure part xD .

Stakataka : Very basic repart to win attack on a kill. the balloon is here because i don't have any ground resistance so it allows to at least trick room. tyrantrum can then finish a kill if stakataka has been walled (lol).

Tyrantrum : the dragon type allows to come on grass/water threats, take a hit and kills the annoying pokemon. he doesn't win a game alone but almost always kills 1 or 2 pokemon. under trick room he is godlike.

Tyranitar : I needed another sand setter for the team (spe def to set up trick room and speed for lycanroc). choice scarf and his movepool allows to revenge kill some threats that his teamates cannot tank/kill .

I am personally not rly a fan of tr in mono rn but you do whatever's fun for you. I'll give some stuff that this team struggles with.

1- M Scizor

1548373939017.png

This mon is def a big struggle for rock and your team lacks a good counter to this mon. Once it's pulls of 1 SD it practically sweeps your team and even TR won't save you since this mon runs bullet punch. Usually the best counter to this mon is alolan golem or rhyperior which your team doesn't include so I would suggest adding that.

2- Tapu Bulu
1548374182346.png

This is another mon that can pretty much plow through your team. Fairy is quite common so you will probably see this mon a lot. You do have stakataka but one simple superpower will do the trick to kill that mon. Usually the best check is running scarf niheligo or scarf terrak.

3- Gastrodon
1548375375897.png

Although this mon isn't a sweeper this mon has what it needs to be threatening to your team. First your team doesn't have any grass moves so no mon is outright killing this. Second even if you have trick room up gastrodon is a slow poke so it still has the opportunity to go first. Lastly, the combination of water and ground hits your whole team super effectively which is bad.

4- Steel and Water Mons in general

Since your team is lacking terrakion steel types such as celesteela and excadrill can be pesky for your team. Also because your team is also lacking nihilego(which has tbolt and grass knot for water) and cradily water mons become a huge problem for your team, especially rain water. Your only mon that is taking neutral damage from water is Tyrantrum which really isn't a good thing.

Overall, while this does look like a cool and interesting team to play, this team will definitely struggle vs a lot of top types such as steel, fairy, poison, etc. Making a TR rock team is a nice idea but missing out on mons such as terrakion, nihilego, cradily, and alolan golem/rhyperior is not worth it in my opinion. If u wanna have a rock team with speed control, I would just suggest using shuckle with sticky web. That way you don't have to be trick room reliant and can run other rock mons that help benefit the team more. This is definitely up to you though. If u wanna keep TR you can do you. I am just saying that without some certain mons, rock can really struggle more.

Offensive Rain Water (with pexboi) (edited)
Pelipper @ Leftovers
Ability: Drizzle
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SpD
Impish Nature
- Knock Off
- U-turn
- Roost
- Defog

Keldeo @ Choice Specs
Timid Nature
- Scald
- Secret Sword
- Hidden Power Poison
- Hydro Pump

Swampert-Mega @ Swampertite
Ability: Damp
Jolly Nature
- Waterfall
- Ice Punch
- Earthquake
- Stealth Rock

Greninja @ Expert Belt
Timid Nature
- Dark Pulse
- Grass Knot
- Ice Beam
- Hidden Power Electric

Manaphy @ Waterium Z
Ability: Hydration
Timid Nature
- Rain Dance
- Tail Glow
- Psychic
- Surf

Toxapex @ Black Sludge
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Bold Nature
- Toxic Spikes
- Scald / Haze
- Sludge Bomb
- Recover
Pelipper sets rain and uturns around. Keldeo's specs hydro pump in rain tears through fat stuff, hp poison catches bulu. Swampert abuses rain with swift swim, helps set rocks, and deals with the more spdef fat like Muk and Chansey. Greninja tears apart flying and opposing water. Manaphy is a nice secondary rain setter and sweeper/wallbreaker. Toxapex is just a fantastic blanket check for like half the tier with tspikes to wear down fat stuff, sludge bomb for sub bulus. tl;dr breaks fat.

Last edited:
Balanced Dual Sand Rock

Tyranitar @ Assault Vest
Adamant Nature
- Crunch
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge
- Fire Punch

Diancie-Mega @ Diancite
Timid Nature
- Moonblast
- Power Gem
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Earth Power

Gigalith @ Assault Vest
Adamant Nature
- Superpower
- Stone Edge
- Earthquake
- Iron Head

Omastar @ Waterium Z
Ability: Swift Swim
Modest Nature
- Shell Smash
- Hidden Power [Grass]
- Surf
- Ice Beam

Solrock @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 Def
Impish Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Morning Sun
- Will-O-Wisp
- Rock Slide

Terrakion @ Choice Scarf
Adamant Nature
- Close Combat
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge
- Poison Jab

Tyranitar and Gigalith serve as the bulky core of this team, with both mons being assault vested to serve as very powerful pivots. It is not exactly well known, but when a rock type is in a sandstorm, their Special Defence is boosted 1.5x. Not only do these 2 mons ward off special attacks, but they also allow the others mons to switch in safely vs special attackers. Mega Diancie and Omastar both serve as powerful special attackers and can sweep if the circumstances are right. They also provide some much need coverage for certain pokemon. Solrock is my personal favorite pokemon on the team for how it is able to handle many physical threats. It packs will-o-wisp and morning sun to stall out powerful attackers, and can serve as a good pivot against ground types due to its levitate ability. Finally, Terrakion is the run of the mill scarfed physical sweeper who can revenge kill very well.

Scizor and other steel types: With the absence of Alolan Golem, you might think that this team gets crushed by Scizor and other mono Steel teams, but there is a lot this team can do to stop powerful steel threats. Solrock is surprisingly good at being able to burn and stall Scizor, and Omastar can often finish off Scizor with Z-Surf while being able to tank bullet punches. In addition, mono steel teams have to respect that 4/6 mons carry ground type attacks, and have to be careful to keep their Skarmories and Celestellas safe. Here is a replay to show that this team is very capable in handling steel teams: https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7monotype-859538864

Water types: Another mon that has come to define mono rock teams is Cradily. Its excellent bulk combined with the Storm Drain ability make it seem like a must have for water teams. Luckily, with the help of sandstorm and a couple of assault vests, Tyranitar and Gigalith become deceptively good at taking water type hits and dishing out more damage in return. Omastar also packs Hidden Power Grass for those pesky Gastrodon, Seismitoad, Quagsire, and Swampert (sorry Whiscash). Omastar also can ride the enemy's waves with swift swim, and is very capable of tanking hits in sandstorm. Here are some replays to show this team vs water: https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7monotype-860430909
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7monotype-859927548

Grass, Fighting, and Ground types: The reason I am clumping these 3 together is because I have not run in to too many of these mono teams. Despite this, I do pack counters to these mons since they will sometimes appear on other mono teams. For grass types, I run Fire Punch on T-Tar, HP Fire on Diancie (only really used against Ferrothorn), Ice Beam on Omastar, and Poison Jab on Terrakion (this move is particularly useful against Tapu Bulu, who can otherwise give this team some trouble). For Ground types, I mainly rely on Omastar to kill and Solrock to pivot and burn. Mono Fighting is probably the hardest matchup for this team, but is very doable and involves carefully keeping Diancie alive while sacking your sandstormers to get rid of focus sash on certain pokemon. If you are facing a lot of fighting teams, you can give Terrakion zen headbutt to give you an extra edge.

Been a few months, so doing a quick update and responses. If you want a list of teams I'm looking for:
DD Mega Tyranitar Offensive Dark
No keys on Fairy
Mega Steelix Sandless Ground (possibly also Mega Garchomp / no mega as well)
A decent Mega Pidgeot Normal (possibly under review, see below)
Updated HO Steel to slot over Harpp's current (not screens, Jase's is fine)

I think Porygon2 is needed. Rejected

The Ground team needs too much work, so rejected. Normal team is fairly decent. I'm feeling Snorlax > Staraptor, though, with a Defog Mega Pidgeot? You're basically giving up the Normal ditto without Mega Lopunny (which is ok), and I think you need the extra help against like Choice Band Zeraora by having Curselax. If you make these changes, I'll add it.

Sad to see you go. Nevertheless, the Water team I'm a bit hesitant on. These days, rain should always have Toxapex and Kingdra is really outdated. Doesn't help that Normal is really hard for your team. Going to have to say rejected sorry.

HO Dark is nice, and we should put up a DD Mega Tyranitar sample. However, I'm not exactly a fan of that Sharpedo, don't see a reason for this particular team to run Bisharp over Krookodile, and Hydreigon lacks Roost. Gonna have to reject this one sorry.

Honestly a decent team but not substantially different from the one we have already to be worth adding, sorry. Rejected

No speed control and no descriptions? Gonna reject for now. Not sure I want a Dragalge sample because it is a lot harder to pilot. Tentatively.

Approved

Did all (and 3 extra kokos)

I may add a Z-Victini, but I don't think it fits on HO at all. Just use Z-Mew if you're going to use HO. rejected

Sorry, not looking for most TR teams. This one looks too gimmicky. rejected

No descriptions and too similar. Rejected

Toxic Spikes is a must on Toxapex. Not sure I agree with the Keldeo and Greninja choices here either. Team looks fairly weak to Flying. We could discuss how to fix this on Discord or PS some time if you want. Going to table this one.

Looks too gimmicky sorry. Rejected

Harpp

No rain, no flowers.
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Hyper Offense Dark : Mega Tyranitar

Krookodile @ Focus Sash
Jolly Nature
- Knock Off
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Taunt

Mandibuzz @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Overcoat
EVs: 248 HP / 164 Def / 96 Spe
Impish Nature
- Foul Play
- U-turn
- Roost
- Defog

Tyranitar-Mega @ Tyranitarite
Jolly Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Stone Edge
- Fire Punch
- Ice Punch

Hydreigon @ Dragonium Z
Timid Nature
- Dark Pulse
- Draco Meteor
- Taunt
- Roost

Greninja @ Choice Scarf
Naive Nature
- Ice Beam
- Gunk Shot
- U-turn
- Toxic Spikes

Muk-Alola @ Iapapa Berry
Ability: Gluttony
EVs: 248 HP / 12 Def / 248 SpD
Careful Nature
- Knock Off
- Poison Jab
- Curse
- Recycle

Krookodile is the teams lead which also provide the team with an Electric-type immunity to deter threats such as Tapu Koko and Zeraora from spamming Electric-type moves at their will. Krookodile provides utility support to the team such as Stealth Rock, Taunt and Knock Off which is essentual for its offensive teammates. Mandibuzz helps the team against Fighting-type threats such as Mega Gallade and Breloom. It is also the types premier Defog user and a good one at it. Mega Tyranitar is the set up sweeper of the team with its Dragon Dance set with great coverage moves.Choice Scarf Greninja helps in revenge killing various threats such as Tapu Koko, Tapu Bulu, Dragon-types and keeping momentum with U-turn. Taunt + Roost Hydreigon is the stallbreaker of the team which also does well in the Steel-type match up, opening up holes for offensive teammates to win. Lastly, Curse Alolan Muk set was added as it not only does well in the Fairy-type match up but also helps in checking various Special attackers such as Tapu Koko with its good special bulk.

HO Steel: Rocks Heatran + Tank Celesteela

Heatran @ Air Balloon
Ability: Flash Fire
Timid Nature
- Magma Storm
- Earth Power
- Taunt
- Stealth Rock

Celesteela @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 160 Def / 96 SpD
Impish Nature
- Heavy Slam
- Toxic
- Leech Seed
- Protect

Scizor-Mega @ Scizorite
Ability: Light Metal
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Bullet Punch
- Bug Bite
- Superpower

Excadrill @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Mold Breaker
Jolly Nature
- Iron Head
- Earthquake
- Rock Slide
- Toxic

Bisharp @ Darkinium Z
Ability: Defiant
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Knock Off
- Iron Head
- Sucker Punch

Jirachi @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 120 SpA / 136 Spe
Timid Nature
- Calm Mind
- Substitute
- Psychic
- Thunderbolt

This is an offensive team around Rocks Heatran and Tank Celesteela. Heatran is sporting a Trapper set to stallbreak and to provide Stealth Rock support for its teammates. Celesteela is sporting a standard tank set with Leech Seed and Toxic to wear down opposing teams easier. Mega Scizor is one of the win condition of the team with offensive Swords Dance set, Bisharp deters Defog users and takes up the role of a wallbreaker / Sweeper with its Z-move and Priority Sucker Punch which also improves Psychic- and Poison-type match up for the team. Choice Scarf Excadrill to revenge kill various threats such as Volcarona, Tapu Koko and Zeraora. Lastly, Substitute Calm Mind Jirachi as the teams bulky win condition improving match up against Water and Flying-type teams.

Hyper Offense Steel : Suicide Lead Skarmory

Skarmory @ Custap Berry
Ability: Sturdy
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
IVs: 0 HP / 0 Def / 0 SpD
- Stealth Rock
- Spikes
- Taunt
- Brave Bird

Scizor-Mega @ Scizorite
Ability: Technician
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Bug Bite
- Bullet Punch
- Superpower

Celesteela @ Metronome
Timid Nature
- Autotomize
- Air Slash
- Giga Drain
- Flamethrower

Excadrill @ Choice Scarf
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Iron Head
- Rapid Spin
- Toxic

Heatran @ Air Balloon
Ability: Flash Fire
EVs: 28 Atk / 224 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Magma Storm
- Earth Power
- Stone Edge
- Taunt

Jirachi @ Normalium Z
Shiny: Yes
Naive Nature
- Happy Hour
- Psychic
- Thunderbolt
- Iron Head

Skarmory is the dedicated lead of the team holding a Custap Berry as an item which allows it to get up an extra layer of hazards or to create momentum with Brave Bird once it is down to sturdy as recoil damage kills it. Mega Scizor is one of the win condition of the team with its standard offensive Swords Dance set. Heatran provides the team with necessary immunity to Fire-type attacks and is sporting a Trapper set here with Air Balloon as an item. Stone edge allows it to deal with Mega Charizard Y and Volcarona.Excadrill is the revenge killer and speed control of the team with Choice Scarf to beat threats like Tapu Koko and Zeraora. Metronome Celesteela helps in breaking Balance builds like Water and it also improves Ground-type match up for the team. Lastly, Z Happy Hour Jirachi improves the teams Poison-, Water- and Flying-type match up for the team.

Mega Steelix Sandless Ground:

Steelix-Mega @ Steelixite
Ability: Sturdy
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Atk / 252 SpD
Careful Nature
- Heavy Slam
- Rest
- Sleep Talk
- Curse

Garchomp @ Rockium Z
Ability: Rough Skin
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge
- Stealth Rock

Mamoswine @ Choice Band
Ability: Thick Fat
Adamant Nature
- Icicle Crash
- Earthquake
- Ice Shard
- Knock Off

Gastrodon @ Leftovers
Ability: Storm Drain
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 Def
Bold Nature
- Scald
- Toxic
- Earth Power
- Recover

Excadrill @ Choice Scarf
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Iron Head
- Toxic
- Rapid Spin

Landorus @ Life Orb
Ability: Sheer Force
Timid Nature
- Earth Power
- Focus Blast
- Sludge Wave
- Gravity

Mega Steelix is sporting a Curse-Talk set which not only improves Fairy-type match up for the team greatly but also makes it a good general win condition against other types such as Dark and Dragon once its checks are gone, Gastrodon provides the team with Water-type immunity due to its ability, Storm Drain. A maximum defensive investment allows it to handle threats such as Keldeo for the team much better. Its Ice-type neutrality and passable Special bulk allows it to handle Choice Scarf Greninja too. Garchomp is the set up sweeper / wallbreaker with Swords Dance and Rockium Z as an item which allows it to get past walls like Slowbro and Hippowdon. Excadrill is the revenge killer and Speed control of the team to check threats like Volcarona and Tapu Bulu. It is also the teams emergency Rapid Spin user. Mamoswine is the physical wallbreaker for the team with a Choice Band and its good Ice- and Ground-type STAB moves, doing well in match ups such as Normal, Dragon and Flying. It also provides the team with a priority move to revenge kill or clean late game. Landorus is the teams special wallbreaker and thanks to life orb and sheer force boosted attacks and its vast coverage, allows it to break apart teams. It also has Gravity to beat Steel-types like Celesteela for the team.

Last edited:
Balanced Poison: Gengar + Z Crobat

Venusaur-Mega @ Venusaurite
Ability: Chlorophyll
EVs: 248 HP / 168 Def / 92 Spe
Bold Nature
- Giga Drain
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Leech Seed
- Synthesis

Toxapex @ Black Sludge
Ability: Regenerator
Bold Nature
- Scald
- Toxic
- Recover
- Haze

Crobat @ Flyinium Z
Ability: Infiltrator
Jolly Nature
- Brave Bird
- Taunt
- Defog
- Roost

Muk-Alola @ Assault Vest
Ability: Poison Touch
EVs: 248 HP / 12 Def / 248 SpD
Sassy Nature
- Poison Jab
- Knock Off
- Pursuit
- Fire Blast

Nihilego @ Air Balloon
Timid Nature
- Power Gem
- Thunderbolt
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Stealth Rock

Gengar @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Cursed Body
Timid Nature
- Sludge Wave
- Shadow Ball
- Focus Blast
- Trick

Mega Venusaur as our physical tank to sponge hits from physical attackers , its the backbone of the Poison defensive core and has plenty recovery with Leech Seed and Synthesis and compliments Toxapex extremely well.

Toxapex another key member of the defensive core is physically defensive invested, and carries toxic over toxic spikes to hit flying types and pokemon currently on the field.

Crobat functions as an offensive Z-user to make Poison team less passive, with a great speed tier , respectable attack stat , a stall breaker with Taunt , hazard removal in Defog , and most importantly a ground immunity.

Muk-Alola the Psychic immunity with the ability to Pursuit trap threats. its an excellent switch in to many special moves with Max investment and holding an Assault Vest. it can trap various threats such as Celebi for example.

Nihilego serves as the Stealth Rock setter with an Air Balloon to temporarily get rid of a 4x weakness and be a ground immunity. Power Gem is Rock STAB and T bolt and HP Ice are solid coverage moves.

Gengar is the Choice Scarf user for speed control and a potential late game clean. with 110 base speed it outspeeds most Choice Scarf users in the meta. Two forms of STAB , Focus Blast , and Trick to cripple passive mons such as Chansey.

Offensive Keyless Fairy

Diancie-Mega @ Diancite
Naive Nature
- Psychic
- Diamond Storm
- Moonblast
- Earth Power

Tapu Koko @ Magnet
Timid Nature
- Thunderbolt
- U-turn
- Roost
- Hidden Power [Ice]

Tapu Bulu @ Leftovers
Ability: Grassy Surge
Adamant Nature
- Substitute
- Swords Dance
- Horn Leech
- Superpower

Mimikyu @ Life Orb
Ability: Disguise
Adamant Nature
- Shadow Claw
- Shadow Sneak
- Swords Dance
- Play Rough

Clefable @ Babiri Berry
Ability: Magic Guard
EVs: 252 HP / 240 Def / 16 Spe
Bold Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Moonblast
- Fire Blast
- Soft-Boiled

Azumarill @ Normalium Z
Ability: Huge Power
Jolly Nature
- Belly Drum
- Aqua Jet
- Return
- Knock Off

Mega Diancie is a fabulous mixed attacker with two powerful STAB moves in Moonblast and Diamond Storm, Psychic is to ease the Poison matchup and allow it to hit Mega Venusaur on the switch , and Earth Power is great coverage for Steel.

Tapu Koko has a great speed tier with base 130, naturally outspending most of the meta. A Terrain boosted STAB Thunderbolt provides great offensive pressure, U-turn for pivoting , Hp ice for ground types, and Roost is used for longevity

Tapu Bulu is a Ground resist which compliments Diancie and Tapu Koko nicely. Substitute is great for predicting a switch and for setting up vs a passive mon that is looking to inflict status. Swords Dance boosts Tapu Bulu’s Attack Stat giving it the ability to break through teams, and Superpower is used to hit steel types and at +2 OHKOS Alolan Muk.

Mimikyu is a great addition to the team to ease the psychic matchup . Mimikyu can also clean late game , and the Disguise ability is a great insurance policy if any sort of setup mon gets out of hand. Mimikyu runs Swords Dance , dual STAB , and STAB Priority. Thanks to Disguise often time Mimikyu is able to SD freely.

Clefable is the teams Stealth Rock setter, and is the Scizor check on the team as it can use Fire Blast while holding a Babiri Berry to live Bullet Punch. Soft-boiled is recovery and Moonblast is a solid STAB move to deal damage.

Azumarill can be a late game cleaner against most teams with the combination of Z-Belly Drum and Aqua Jet. +6 Knock off OHKOs bulky steel types like Ferrothorn, Celesteela , and Skarmory. A Jolly Nature to outspeed most Mega Venusaur and Return has the ability to OHKO Mega Venusaur after Stealth Rock.

Diancie-Mega @ Diancite
Naive Nature
- Psychic
- Diamond Storm
- Moonblast
- Earth Power

Tapu Koko @ Magnet
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 30 Def
- Thunderbolt
- Defog
- Roost
- Hidden Power [Ice]

Tapu Bulu @ Rockium Z
Ability: Grassy Surge
Jolly Nature
- Substitute
- Swords Dance
- Horn Leech
- Stone Edge

Mimikyu @ Life Orb
Adamant Nature
- Shadow Claw
- Shadow Sneak
- Swords Dance
- Play Rough

Clefable @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Magic Guard
EVs: 252 HP / 240 Def / 16 Spe
Bold Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Moonblast
- Knock Off
- Soft-Boiled

Azumarill @ Sitrus Berry
Ability: Huge Power
Jolly Nature
- Belly Drum
- Aqua Jet
- Return
- Knock Off

Last edited:
Offensive Mono Ground

Excadrill @ Choice Band
Jolly Nature
- Iron Head
- Earthquake
- Rock Slide
- Rapid Spin

Hippowdon@Leftovers
Impish Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Slack Off
- Whirlwind

Seismitoad @ Assault Vest
EVs: 112 HP / 252 SpA / 144 Spe
Modest Nature
- Scald
- Earth Power
- Sludge Wave
- Knock Off

Landorus @ Life Orb
Ability: Sheer Force
Timid Nature
- Gravity
- Earth Power
- Focus Blast
- Sludge Wave

Mamoswine @ Choice Band
Ability: Thick Fat
Jolly Nature
- Ice Shard
- Earthquake
- Icicle Crash
- Superpower

Garchomp @ Dragonium Z
Ability: Rough Skin
EVs: 4 HP / 236 Atk / 16 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Earthquake
- Outrage
- Fire Fang

Hippowdon-A def wall with recovery and hazing. It also allows the setting of rocks and sandstorm, sandstorm allows exca to come in with X2 speed.

Exca-Hard hitting mon that outspeeds all non-boosted mons in sand. Due note: A-Rai in electric terrain WILL outspeed you and jolly is to outspeed scarf gren. Rapid spin is for the rare chance to remove hazards.

Seismitoad-Sdef wall that is easy chipped. Seismitoad also is your water immunity and Azu check; 144 Speed is to outspeed the raise of jolly Azu.

Mamoswine-Hard hitting priority, good against anything weak to it's stabs, superpower is for threats like Kyu-B.

Garchomp-Set up mon, counter to M-Venu and others with a hard hitting Z move. 16 def is to survive a non-banded Bulu's wood hammer to kill back after recoil.

The team is one meant to be offensive and pressure in the opposing team. Hippo and Seis are for tanking when necessary.

Last edited:
Mega Tyranitar Hyper Offensive Dark

Tyranitar-Mega @ Tyranitarite
Jolly Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Fire Punch
- Stone Edge
- Ice Punch

Greninja @ Choice Scarf
Timid Nature
- Ice Beam
- U-turn
- Hydro Pump
- Extrasensory

Krookodile @ Focus Sash
Jolly Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Taunt
- Knock Off
- Earthquake

Hydreigon @ Dragonium Z
Timid Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Dark Pulse
- Taunt
- Roost

Bisharp @ Black Glasses
Ability: Defiant
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Knock Off
- Sucker Punch
- Iron Head

Weavile @ Life Orb
Jolly Nature
- Icicle Crash
- Knock Off
- Ice Shard
- Low Kick
Tyranitar
The first of the two setup sweepers of the team. This set is tailored towards the Steel, Flying, Dark, and Dragon matchups. The combination of Stone Edge for strong STAB and Ice Punch puts pressure on the Flying core of Mantine/Celesteela/Gliscor. Fire Punch helps against Steel, specifically Ferrothorn. Tyranitar's high base Def allows it to live an Earthquake from Scarf Excadrill from full and KO back with Fire Punch at +1. Also, after Rocks and one Dragon Dance, you have an 87.5% to OHKO Heatran with Stone Edge. Earthquake can be used over Ice Punch for the likes Toxapex or Heatran without its Balloon. Overall, Tyranitar's massive Def and SpD stats allows it to get at least one or two Dragon Dance off to make use of its deadly Atk stat.

Greninja
Typical Choice Scarf Greninja for speed control. Extrasensory for mons like Toxapex, Mega Venusaur who like to get in the way, U Turn for momentum, Ice Beam for Flying, Dragon, and Ground types alike, Hydro Pump for strong Water STAB.

Krookodile
This is a lead set to get Stealth Rocks off and Taunt opposing hazard setters or Defoggers. Earthquake for STAB, Knock Off to remove items before it goes down.

Hydreigon
Stallbreaker set for Hydreigon to muscle past mons like Skarmory, Toxapex, bulky Mew, Gliscor, Mantine, and other annoying walls. Roost for great sustain. Z-Draco Meteor for a 1 turn nuke on a potential wall like Mega Sableye. This set is usually to hinder walls that get in the way of the team while also having KO potential.

Bisharp
Standard Setup Sweeper set for Bisharp. Life Orb can be used instead for extra damage at the cost of sustainability or a Focus Sash to almost guarantee a free SD or hit onto the opponent.

Weavile
4 Attacks set that's designated to get as much damage off as possible before going down. Low Kick for opposing Bisharps, Tyranitars, and also netting an OHKO against Kyurem-Black and Heatran after rocks (68% chance to OHKO Heatran without rocks). After an Ice Beam from Greninja, Ice Shard from Weavile can potentially revenge kill Z-Kommo-o or put it within range of an Ice Beam revenge kill from Greninja.

Last edited:
Balanced/Semi-TR Ghost Team

Sableye @ Sablenite
Ability: Prankster
EVs: 248 HP / 104 Def / 156 SpD
Sassy Nature
- Knock Off
- Foul Play
- Will-O-Wisp
- Recover

Jellicent (M) @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 244 SpD / 12 Spe
Calm Nature
- Scald
- Toxic
- Recover
- Trick Room

Marowak-Alola @ Thick Club
Ability: Lightning Rod
EVs: 212 HP / 252 Atk / 44 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Flare Blitz
- Shadow Bone
- Bonemerang
- Stealth Rock

Gengar @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Cursed Body
Timid Nature
- Shadow Ball
- Sludge Wave
- Focus Blast
- Thunder

Mimikyu @ Ghostium Z
Adamant Nature
- Shadow Claw
- Shadow Sneak
- Play Rough
- Swords Dance

Dhelmise @ Assault Vest
Ability: Steelworker
EVs: 248 HP / 152 Atk / 108 SpD
Brave Nature
- Power Whip
- Anchor Shot
- Earthquake
- Rapid Spin

Sableye-Mega : a mandatory pick for any balanced Ghost team, its potential as utility is not to be proved anymore.
  • Knock Off serves obviously as a mean to cripple mostly Eviolite, Leftovers or Choice-item users.
  • Will-o-Wisp is another obvious choice, in order to stop physical staples in their tracks to sweep - by crippling or forcing them out.
  • Recover just because it's a freaking staller.
  • Foul Play as a mean to punish physical set-up sweepers who laugh at WoW without thinking they could be knocked-out Sumotori style (RIP Mega-Scizor, Dragonite, Bisharp... You will be remembered).
Of course, you can customize this set by replacing Foul Play with Protect (hey, Mrs Lopunny), but imo, it makes Sableye way more passive and susceptible to set-up. Lopunny can, of course, be dealt with differently.

Jellicent : the second member of the defensive core, Jellicent has a key role as both a special wall and... a Trick Room setter. Imo, the problem with the Taunt set (used primarily to check Toxapex and Mantine) is that Jellicent can't do much after using the move, and is forced to switch out - exposing a teammate to unnecessary damage.

• Trick Room, consequently, is a nice utility pick that allows Marowak and Dhelmise to shine as sweepers, especially against fast offensive teams (Psychic, Rain Water, Fairy or Electric). It's also useful for Sableye to Recover up more easily if it finds itself in a pinch. Special set-up sweepers like Volcarona suddenly feel sorry for Quiver Dancing absent-mindedly, and Lopunny for being so fast. What's more, since the team is quite slow, TR makes it less susceptible to haxx, as long as it can be set safely. It can be quite a surprise for those who expected a pure balanced team... Just be careful about the timing, Gengar and Mimikyu hate being slowed down...
  • Scald is the obvious STAB move to run, the burning threat being a good reason for physical mons not to come in on the field.
  • Recover because it's a freaking staller (bis).
  • Toxic for the exact same reason, and it's quite useful against annoying defensive staples such as Mantine, Porygon2, Swampert...
If the TR trick doesn't agree with you, you can fall back to the "safer" Taunt set. Will-o-Wisp is also a good option, instead of either TR or Toxic (keep in mind that you'll loose quite a bit of Jellicent stalling potential in the second case). Last, but not least, a Hex variant can be run if you mean to catch an opponent off guard, but I have to say it's not as effective in practice than on the paper...

Alolan Marowak : One of Ghost's premier wallbreakers, yet tempered by a ridiculous speed tier. Trick Room makes up for it nicely, but... it can't be set up all the time. The 44 EVs in speed are here to still be able to outspeed threats with a 50 speed stat without investment - such as Alolan Muk. The rest give Marowak as much bulk and power as it can get, and, under TR, lets it be a terror for unprepared Bug and Psychic teams.
Lastly, the Lightning Rod ability is prefered in this team, as it can wall a certain amount of threats such as Tapu Koko, Zapdos or Thundurus-T.

• Flare Blitz is Marowak's strongest STAB move, striking ridiculously hard, but at a heavy cost. I strongly advise that you use it carefully, when it's absolutely necessary - namely against Zapdos or Venusaur-Mega.
  • Shadow Bone must be used as the primary STAB, and does quite the job at wreaking havoc without any backbone (lol). Psychic teams still tremble at the thought of this move wrecking them under TR...
  • Bonemerang is prefered to Earthquake, as it still allows to OHKO what it has to OHKO, without fearing sashes and Sturdies.
  • Stealth Rock allows, as always, to pressure teams weak to rock type, and to ease Gengar's and Mimikyu's sweeps.
If Flare Blitz's recoil is too annoying, Fire Punch is a nice option (though the lack of power is easily felt). Since Bonemerang doesn't have a 100% accuracy, Earthquake still has its use to OHKO Fire, Electric, Rock or fire-resistant Steel types. If you want to break past defensive cores under TR, Swords Dance along with minimal speed investment and a Brave nature is the right pick. You can also think of other options depending on what you need, like Stone Edge, Rock Tomb, Knock Off or Flame Charge.

Gengar : to me, a Ghost team without Gengar isn't worthy. As this team is desperately slow, Scarf Gengar provides speed control, and acts as a fearsome Revenge Killer. Some huge threats to Ghost are, this way, dealt with more efficently - namely Lopunny-Mega, Pidgeot-Mega, non-Scarf Greninja and Tapu Koko, as well at +1 Sharpedo-Mega and Gyarados-Mega. It's also useful to remove Toxa's annoying Toxic Spikes, and absorb the everlasting Toxics.

• Shadow Ball is the main, spammable STAB move that will (almost) never betray you (who wants it to get a power boost in Gen 8 ?)
  • Sludge Wave wreaks havoc against Fairy and Grass (sic), as long as Klefki and Ferrothorn are out. More generally, it deals a nice amout of damage to anything that doesn't resist poison.
  • Focus Miss Blast is the best coverage move, as it can obviously deal with Dark and Steel type threats (hey, Tyranitar).
  • Thunder might look like an odd choice... but who doesn't like rain users to be taken out at their own game ?
Given Gengar's incredibly wide movepool, this set is quite customizable (especially for the last move). Trick can be use to cripple stallers, but careful not to waste the speed control too early in the game (notably against Normal type). Thunderbolt can also replace Thunder, even if it fails to surprise and OHKO Mantine. Icy Wind or HP Ice can be chosen to deal with Ground types and the extraordinarily annoying Gliscor. Hex is a gimmick option to use in case you manage to spread status around throughout the match (funny only when it works).

Mimikyu : another mandatory choice for Ghost, as Dark is always a horrible pain to deal with. This is the late-game sweeping set, and what I like to call a "one-time wallbreaker" with Ghostium-Z. To be used against common defensive staples like Toxapex, Venusaur-Mega, Celesteela, Heatran and more.

• Shadow Claw is the main STAB move, as it is more spammable and doesn't suffer from Play Rough's surprising lack of accuracy... The only problem is the lack of power (when will we be given a non-signature one-turn powerful physical Ghost STAB move...?)
  • Play Rough is the secondary STAB, able to dismantle any Dark type that isn't called Mandibuzz.
  • Shadow Sneak provides a useful spammable priority, that can help quite a lot in case Gengar's speed control fails to serve you. It can also be used as a mean to deal chip damage before passing out.
  • Swords Dance, that the Disguise ability conveniently allows to set easily, and that makes up for Mimikyu's lackluster base Attack stat.
There are not many effective options to this set, as it already covers what it needs to cover. Mimikium-Z can be used in case you want to be sure not to miss a crucial kill on a Dark type with Play Rough. The problem is that you fail to break past the aforementioned defensive staples, as they are all resistant to Fairy and one of Ghost's main weaknesses...
For the gimmicks, you may use Bulk Up as a set-up move, and Drain Punch/Leech Life as a mean to recover. I said for gimmicks.

Dhelmise : Decidueye is the most reputed Ghost type when it comes to hazard control, as it can also trap with Spirit Shackle, pivot with U-Turn, and recover actively with Roost. If it is stupid to deny these facts, I still think about this mon's passivity and of the facts that it eliminates one of Ghost's main advantages : unspinable hazards.
Dhelmise may not have active recovery, pivoting utility and high speed, but it can as well spin and trap, along with a wonderful bulk with Assault Vest, and the offensive power Decidueye lacks.
That's why I give him a mixed role in this team, as a spinner, special wall, and TR sweeper. Moreover, the bulk provided by its item is quite a relief for Jellicent, as Dhelmise can stomach hard hits from special wallbreakers like Landorus-I or Nidoking, and threaten to KO them. Dhelmise also serves well against the Fairy, Ground and Rock matchup (RIP Diancie).

• Power Miss Whip is the main STAB move, that strikes fearsomely anything that doesn't resist it. Only suffers from a lackluster accuracy.
  • Anchor Shot is a pseudo STAB that OHKOes most Fairy types, and allows to eliminate key threats thanks to its trapping ability.
  • Earthquake completes the set's coverage by striking hard at Steel, Electric, and even special Fire types that fail to KO Dhelmise.
  • Rapid Spin, since it wouldn't be called a spinner otherwise. Removes hazards without ruining Marowak's efforts to put on its own Rocks.
As options, you can choose to run Gyro Ball instead of Anchor Shot, but be aware that you lose the trapping ability. Shadow Claw can be used as a secondary STAB, but then again, be careful about the coverage you lack - not to mention you have other mons with Ghost STABs. If you want to turn Dhelmise into a wallbreaker under TR, use a Choice Band. Leftovers are also an option, at the cost of Dhelmise's special bulk.

HO Steel build

https://pastebin.com/P5X8Dps4

Custap skarmory opens new doors for steel. In a majority of situations unless you match against a counterlead, you'll lead skarmory and initiate with hazards. Brave bird offers solid attack and also hits particular fighting type threats, mega venusaur, and allows momentum to be maintained by dropping skarmory on correct turns through recoil once sturdy is activated. After hazards are up, ideally you will chip between the 5 diverse attackers, eventually working to put one of the setup sweepers in a position finish the late game. Typically, this is mega scizor, or celesteela.

demo:https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7monotype-851726148

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 2)