Resource Monotype OM Mega-Thread

Ridley

lofi hip hop radio - beats to relax/study to
is a Tutor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
An update for STAB!

Firstly, Sae has replaced Attribute on the Mono STAB Council.

Secondly, the Council has unanimously decided to BAN Glacial Lance and UNBAN Landorus-Incarnate.

We believe that many ice types including Darmanitan-Galar, Weavile, Mamoswine, among others can easily overwhelm other teams with a STAB 130 BP move that has no drawbacks, and thus we have decided to ban it from the tier.

We have also come to the conclusion that because Landorus-Incarnate is not banned from vanilla Monotype and it does not seem to gain enough from STABmons to warrant being banned, that it should not banned. We will be watching the effects of Lando-I closely to determine if any follow up is necessary.

Sae

In the midst of Orre
is a Tiering Contributor
Another quick update for STABmons. Due to Landorus-I being banned from Monotype, the council has decided re-ban Landorus-I.

While we recently unbanned it for Mono STABmons (see post #51), this was contingent on Landorus being free in Monotype as well. We want to remain consistent with the Monotype format.

Ridley

lofi hip hop radio - beats to relax/study to
is a Tutor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
Yet another quick update for STABmons: the STABmons tier recently banned Mamoswine, but Mamoswine will not be banned in Monotype STABmons. Some of the key reasons it was banned in STABmons were because of the team support available to it + it having access to Glacial Lance, neither of which are available to it in Monotype STABmons. Thus, Mamoswine is being UNBANNED in Monotype STABmons.

Perish Song

flaunt
is a Tutor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnusis a Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnus
Update for AAA; Following the recent quick ban of Landorus-I from the Monotype metagame, the AAA council has voted for it to stay in the metagame. We believe that Landorus-I does not gain a significant upgrade in the AAA metagame, in fact pretty much everything else gets stronger compared to Landorus-I. When everything else gets considerably stronger and better while Landorus doesn't gain any remarkable abilities to further bolster its potential means Landorus is not as much of a threat as it was for the Monotype metagame. For this reason, Landorus-I is allowed in Monotype AAA.

Seo.

Nice guys always finish last...
Monotype LC update:

Crashy is now on the council, welcome and congrats!

Monotype LC will be banning Grookey

Grookey is quite overwhelming in the current metagame. It totally negates many matchups and there is not much stopping it. If you have any questions or concerns regarding it please pm a council member.

roxie

https://www.youtube.com/@noxiousroxie
is a Tutoris a Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Heya! Monotype Events has a discord now shoutouts to Bondie for the huge help and taking the initiative. The public Monotype Room fill feature Officials soon whenever Room Owners choose to add that but the discord will be feature tiers that aren't supported or have low support like Ubers, CAP, ADV, Doubles, and hopefully UU/RU/NU/PU in the near future. I am glad to see discussion when such tours are hosted in the main room or monotype events room. I have reached out to both CAP and Ubers communities because I feel DOU/Ubers/CAP should have some type of connection with this to spread the playerbase and tournaments are come in the near future :D. If you are authed (in the Monotype Events room) you will get a specific role and if you are interested in contributing in any way possible feel free to join the discord: https://discord.gg/22RChfh
Monday: 8s (Alternating with CG+Old Gen and Official OMs) @ 9:30pm EST
Tuesday: ADV Monotype @ 8pm EST
Wednesday: CAP Monotype @ 6pm EST
Thursday: Ubers Monotype @ 4pm EST
Friday: Doubles Monotype @2pm EST
:blobthumbsup:

Last edited:
I was just wondering, Wicked Blow is banned in STABmons, ok, fine, it's understandable.
U banned Glacial Lance as well for good reasonning, it's ok too.
But what about Surging Strike?
I mean, in Monotype, Rain teams can dumbly abuse of Surging Strike Swift Swim with Pokemon like Barraskewda.
Many types don't have a solid answer to this powerfull core.
What does the Stabmon council think about that? (I don't ask for instaban but a smart discussion and point of view about that move).
Ridley Sae and Perish Song

Last edited:

Sae

In the midst of Orre
is a Tiering Contributor
I was just wondering, Wicked Blow is banned in STABmons, ok, fine, it's understandable.
U banned Glacial Lance as well for good reasonning, it's ok too.
But what about Surging Strike?
I mean, in Monotype, Rain teams can dumbly abuse of Surging Strike Swift Swim with Pokemon like Barraskewda.
Many types don't have a solid answer to this powerfull core.
What does the Stabmon council think about that? (I don't ask for instaban but a smart discussion and point of view about that move).
Ridley Sae and Perish Song
I'm just going to be speaking for myself, but with the current state of STABmons, I think Surging Strikes is fine. I feel that most Water type breakers are kind of all or nothing in their approach. Most of the relevant Water types do not have enough coverage to cover many of the cores found in MonoSTAB primarily because there are so many Water immunities or resists due to wanting to check Flip Turn specifically. Surging Strikes also encourages the use of Rocky Helmet which I think is a good thing because of how useful it is vs other strong contact moves in the meta (including the aforementioned Flip Turn). It also leads into a metagame choice of whether to use Choice / LO on your Surging Strikes mon, or give up the immediate power and use Protective Pads. On the one hand, you want the immediate boost to actually break cores, but you might lose your breaker as they will lose a massive amount of health in doing so. On the other hand, you can circumvent the damage, but it becomes harder to break through specific cores because you're lacking the immediate power.

I'll list some general stuff, but the interactions are usually more nuanced than just the list of checks I'm writing. Feel free to ask about specific situations.

• Flying: Mantine + Celesteela core defensively; Dragonite, Thundurus, Gyarados, Aerodactyl offensively
  • Steel: Ferrothorn + Celesteela + Aegislash defensively; Webs + breakers offensively
    • Ferrothorn with Helmet makes it more annoying for physical breakers, but also leaves you more open to Keldeo
  • Water: Toxapex, Tapu Fini, etc.
  • Dark: doesn't have anything defensively; Zarude, use of webs, Helmet, sand chip, and strong priority can get you far offensively.
    • The bigger detriment to Dark is actually Tapu Fini (especially Scarf) as there's nothing that can really stop it from winning when vs Water as Bisharp is slower can't abuse Sucker Punch or strong STAB adaptability moves. Even if you did have a good check, it'd usually get walled by the Swampert/Toxapex in the back.
    • Zarude gets stuck because of Sap Sipper Azu. You'd have to really allocate your move choices across the team to beat Water efficiently but at that point, do you really want to use Dark?
  • Ghost: defensively Shedinja and/or Jellicent; Webs + Moongeist spam
  • Ice: Avalugg + Lapras defensively; Lapras, Kyurem, Ninetales-A offensively with Freeze-Dry
  • Fire: Volcanion and Sun defensively; Tailwind, Sun, Webs, Rotom-H offensively
    • Pretty dire MU. Could use webs too I guess.
  • Fairy: Tapu Fini / bulky Azu + Tapu Bulu (+ screens for water spam in general not Surging Strikes); Tapu Bulu dominates the MU with Grassy Glide unless Azu but even then can setup on it (not to mention Tapu Koko in the back).
  • Electric: Rotom-W defensively (I guess technically Lanturn but you wouldn't use it); Electric Terrain + Raichu-A to outspeed; Freeze-Dry Rotom-W, Tapu Koko, Zeraora offensively
  • Ground: Gastrodon/Seismitoad; Exca in Sand (in general spam back strong Ground STAB)
    • Really rough MU from a defensive standpoint. Have to play this one offensively.
  • Grass: Ferrothorn+Amoonguss; Grass Glide / any Grass spam
  • Poison: Toxapex+Amoonguss
  • Normal: Heliolisk + Type:Null + Chansey (+ Ditto)
  • Psychic: Latias can setup on most things with Clangorous Soul and can sometimes just win games right there vs Water
  • Dragon: Dragalge and in general naturally resistant
  • Bug: Shedinja (+Araquanid); hazard spam + strong sweepers
  • Rock: Cradily (with Chople); offensively
  • Fighting: Toxicroak / Poliwrath defensively; Webs offensively

Surging Strikes is a strong move, but there are methods to dealing with them. Some types struggle to deal with it, but I'm more inclined to think they struggle vs strong spammable Water moves in general if that is the case. Maybe Rain pushes it over the edge, but I haven't been convinced yet of the overwhelming efficacy of the archetype yet. Water as a whole I'd put up there as one of the best types along with Flying, yet it's not as commonly used as you'd think because of how ubiquitous Water immunities / checks are in the metagame.

Last edited:
I waited before posting teams cause I was helping the pandas before this but theyre out and idk who has which of my teams at this point so ill just drop the good ones like i was originally planning to here.

AAA
:Incineroar: :Hydreigon: :Mandibuzz: :Zarude: :Bisharp: :Weavile:
:Dracozolt: :Dragalge: :Garchomp: :Duraludon: :Kyurem: :Noivern:
:Rotom-Heat: :Tapu Koko: :Zeraora: :Magnezone: :Zapdos: :Silvally-Electric:
:Primarina: :Diancie: :Klefki: :Tapu Bulu: :Tapu Koko: :Grimmsnarl:
:Corviknight: :Skarmory: :Landorus-Therian: :Moltres: :Noivern: :Archeops:
:Hippowdon: :Mamoswine: :Nidoking: :Zygarde-10%: :Swampert: :Garchomp:
:Weavile: :Avalugg: :Rotom-Frost: :Articuno: :Mamoswine: :Kyurem:
:Chansey: :Braviary: :Porygon-Z: :Heliolisk: :Porygon2: :Snorlax:
:Stakataka: :Doublade: :Corviknight: :Jirachi: :Cobalion: :Ferrothorn:

STAB
:Diggersby: :Garchomp: :Gastrodon: :Nidoking: :Excadrill: :Landorus-Therian:
:Sylveon: :Azumarill: :Tapu Bulu: :Tapu Koko: :Mimikyu: :Klefki:
:Ninjask: :Zapdos-Galar: :Drifblim: :Thundurus-Therian: :Landorus-Therian: :Celesteela:

Overall MWP Thoughts

My builder went 6-3 (shoulda been 7-3 frick cata for bringing soundproof sharpedo over my steel in semis) so im pretty happy about that. Wasnt the greatest season overall, but it was pretty fun learning mono oms, especially weeks 2-4 when i cranked out just about all the teams you see above. S/o Ridley and Torkool (idk your smogon tag lol) for going a hard 15k on me when i was undrafted in all the mocks and being cool, and s/o all the people i bothered constantly for games

Thoughts on AAA

In AAA I think noivern, kyurem, and most importantly poison heal should definitely be banned. Kyu and Vern becasue they just invalidate entire types (like there is no way to build a good water/ground that doesnt autolose to freeze dry the move w/o forfeiting tons of mus). PH because theres very viable PH setup mons on every type, all like 10+ of them (zarude, incin, chomp, lax, fini, landot, diancie, swampert, zeraora, kommoo etc) require dedicated counterplay or u literally just autolose and many types just dont have the resources to check them all. Ive played / seen several games where a ph mon sets up in the first 5 turns and there is nothing to be done, and building around it just sucks ass too idk. I think the tier has alot of potential if the plans are to keep mono aaa relevant moving forward but rn it just feels a little like matchup fish the meta cause theres so many brokens lol (imo imo).

Last edited:

Fissure

Cotton Candy Thighs
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
Excuse my ignorance if this isn't the right place to talk about this, but has there been any recent discussion on Mono Tier Shift and/or Inverse? The latest discussions I could find on these oms were in these threads here and here, back when Monotype was being grouped together with Other Metagames. I'm only bringing it up as I personally feel that these two non-standard oms could garner a sizeable player base (compared to the other Mono Oms) given enough support. As someone who spent almost all their time on Smogon in the Other Metagames forum, my reason for writing this post isn't to attack or take spots away from currently existing Mono oms like AAA or Stabmons, but rather to say that there are more options available that can appeal to the Mono community. The Mono community has already made it very clear about its stance on the more non-standard oms being included into tours, so if tours like MWP continue to be the "OM tour", then it wouldn't hurt to experiment with other oms that have more potential to appeal to the players.

So why Tier Shift and Inverse? In the words of this thread, "Most importantly, Mono OMs are a refreshing respite from the standard Monotype metagame". As someone who played AAA in MWP 3 and kinda helped in the Stabmons slot, these oms (especially AAA) are not a "respite from the standard Monotype metagame" but rather a respite from the Monotype metagame as a whole. As redundant as it sounds, you play Monotype because it's Monotype, and that is where Tier Shift and Inverse come in. Despite both being non-standard oms, they stay faithful to what makes Monotype...well Monotype. That being a metagame that, due to restricting you to a single common type, challenges a player's teambuilding skills and knowing which pokemon to use to fill specific roles on a team and to cover for its weaknesses. Tier Shift's aim is to make lower tiered pokemon more viable against higher tiered mons by raising their stats according to the tier they fall into. Pokemon get a +10 boost to each stat excluding HP per tier below OU they are in. UU gets +10, RU +20, NU +30, and PU +40. Now I will admit that Monotype does not necessarily associate how good a pokemon is to the tier they belong to, but rather by how much utility a mon has when considering the team as a whole i.e. only lower tiered mons of a certain type would have access to hazards or hazard removal while OU mons of the same type might lack these things. I did not list every mon for every type and what boosts each respective mon would receive; however, I did do the current mono VR to show that every type has a similar spread of different tiered mons*. For a rule of thumb, basically every type's S and A ranks included either an UBER, OU, or UU mon with lower tiered mons throughout S-D ranks. These stat boosts will theoretically make lowered ranked and unranked mons in the mono metagame become bigger threats in their respective type(s) without changing how Monotype works as a meta. Inverse would work in a similar way, but with more emphasis on buffing / nerfing types rather than mons. Inverse would make building more interesting as types now have different weaknesses that they need to account for, as well as make lesser used types, like Normal, have newfound strengths in no longer having resistances when attacking defending types. While the playstyles of certain types might change due to the new damage type chart, Monotype Inverse will still require builders to consider which types have viable pokemon that can fill certain roles, as well as cover as many of the team's weaknesses as possible.

I understand that Mono oms aren't really the most popular thing Monotype has to offer, but I believe that means that we should try as much as we can to attract players (like me) to Monotype that maybe otherwise would not be playing it. Cause at the end of the day, we are just trying to have fun with a metagame people love and bring in more people to the community, whether that be via Monotype itself or a subdivision of Monotype like oms.
S Rank

Scizor = UU

Volcarona = OU

A Rank

Buzzwole = OU

Galvantula = PU

Shuckle = PU

B Rank

Araquanid = NU

Heracross = RU

Scolipede = UU

C Rank

Armaldo = PU

Centiskorch = PU

Durant = RU

Ribombee = PU

D Rank

Crustle = PU

Frosmoth = PU

Golisopod = NU

Orbeetle = PU

Vikavolt = PU

S Rank

Mandibuzz = OU

Tyranitar = OU

Urshifu-Single Strike Style = UBER

A Rank

Hydreigon = OU

Weavile = OU

Zarude = RU

B Rank

Drapion = NU

Bisharp = UU

C Rank

Krookodile = UU

Grimmsnarl = UU

Moltres-Galar = UU

D Rank

Crawdaunt = UU

Incineroar = RU

Sableye = PU

Sharpedo = RU

S Rank

Dragapult = OU

A Rank

Garchomp = OU

Hydreigon = OU

Kyurem = UU

Latias = OU

B Rank

Dracovish = UBER

Dragalge = NU

Dragonite = OU

Kommo-o = UU

C Rank

Duraludon = NU

Latios = OU

Zygarde-10% = UU

D Rank

Noivern = RU

S Rank

Raichu-Alola = NU

Tapu Koko = OU

Zeraora = UU

A Rank

Magnezone = RU

Rotom-Wash = UU

Zapdos = OU

B Rank

Dracozolt = OU

Rotom-Cut = NU

Thundurus = UU

C Rank

Galvantula = PU

Raikou = RU

Regieleki = OU

Rotom-Heat = UU

D Rank

Heliolisk = PU

Thundurus-Therian = UU

Toxtricity = RU

Xurkitree = RU

S Rank

Klefki = RU

Tapu Bulu = UU

A Rank

Azumarill = UU

Clefable = OU

Tapu Lele = OU

B Rank

Ninetales-Alola = UU

Tapu Koko = OU

C Rank

Grimmsnarl = UU

Hatterene = UU

Mimikyu = RU

Tapu Fini = OU

Togekiss = RU

D Rank

Diancie = NU

Gardevoir = RU

Ribombee = PU

Weezing-Galar = RU

S Rank

Keldeo = UU

Terrakion = OU

Urshifu-Single Strike Style = OU

A Rank

Cobalion = RU

B Rank

Buzzwole = OU

Toxicroak = PU

Zapdos-Galar = OU

C Rank

Conkeldurr = UU

Hawlucha = OU

Heracross = RU

D Rank

Gallade = PU

Lucario = RU

Virizion = PU

S Rank

Cinderace = UBER

Torkoal = PU

A Rank

Heatran = OU

Victini = OU

Volcarona = OU

B Rank

Blacephalon = OU

Moltres = OU

Rotom-Heat = UU

Volcanion = RU

C Rank

Charizard = PU

Darmanitan = RU

Incineroar = RU

Marowak-Alola = RU

Salazzle = NU

Talonflame = PU

D Rank

Arcanine = NU

Chandelure = RU

Ninetales = PU

S Rank

Celesteela = UU

Landorus-Therian = OU

A Rank

Mandibuzz = OU

Mantine = NU

Thundurus-Therian = UU

Tornadus-Therian = OU

Zapdos = OU

Zapdos-Galar = OU

B Rank

Corviknight = OU

Dragonite = OU

Moltres = OU

Skarmory = OU

C Rank

Aerodactyl = NU

Noivern = RU

Thundurus = UU

Togekiss = RU

D Rank

Articuno = PU

Gyarados = UU

Hawlucha = OU

Moltres-Galar = OU

Tornadus = RU

Xatu = PU

S Rank

Dragapult = OU

Mimikyu = RU

Spectrier =UBER

A Rank

Aegislash = UU

Corsola-Galar = PU

Gengar = OU

B Rank

Blacephalon = OU

C Rank

Jellicent = PU

Marowak-Alola = RU

Pallosand = PU

D Rank

Decidueye = NU

Dhelmise = NU

Froslass = PU

Polteageist = RU

Runerigus = PU

Sableye = PU

S Rank

Ferrothorn = OU

Rillaboom = OU

A Rank

Cradily = PU

Whimsicott = PU

Zarude = RU

B Rank

Celebi = NU

Rotom-Mow = NU

C Rank

Amoonguss = UU

Appletun = PU

Decidueye = NU

Tapu Bulu = UU

Venusaur = UU

Virizion = PU

D Rank

Roserade = NU

Shiftry = PU

S Rank

Excadrill = OU

Hippowdon = OU

A Rank

Gastrodon = NU

Landorus-Therian = OU

Mamoswine = UU

Nidoking = OU

B Rank

Garchomp = OU

Seismitoad = RU

C Rank

Krookodile = UU

Steelix = RU

Zygarde-10% = UU

D Rank

Diggersby = UU

Dugtrio = PU

Quagsire = UU

S Rank

Darmanitan-Galar = UBER

Ninetales-Alola = UU

A Rank

Kyurem = UU

Piloswine = PU

Weavile = OU

B Rank

Cloyster = RU

Glastrier = RU

Mamoswine = UU

C Rank

Avalugg = PU

Froslass = PU

Sandslash-Alola = PU

D Rank

Arctozolt = RU

Rotom-Frost = PU

S Rank

Blissey = OU

Ditto = PU

A Rank

Diggersby = UU

Heliolisk = PU

B Rank

Bewear = RU

Obstagoon = RU

Porygon2 = RU

C Rank

Braviary = PU

Indeedee-M = RU

Snorlax = RU

D Rank

Chansey = UU

Indeedee-F = NU

Porygon-Z = RU

S Rank

Toxapex = OU

A Rank

Amoonguss = UU

Nidoking = OU

Weezing-Galar = RU

B Rank

Drapion = NU

Gengar = OU

Nihilego = UU

Slowking-Galar = OU

C Rank

Crobat = RU

Salazzle = NU

Skuntank = PU

Scolipede = UU

Toxtricity = RU

D Rank

Dragalge = NU

Toxicroak = PU

S Rank

Tapu Lele = OU

Slowbro = OU

Victini = OU

A Rank

Alakazam = UU

Jirachi = UU

Latias = OU

B Rank

Bronzong = NU

Celebi = NU

Hatterene = UU

Latios = OU

Mew = UU

C Rank

Azelf = UU

Cresselia = RU

Metagross = RU

Necrozma = RU

Reuniclus = RU

D Rank

Gardevoir = RU

Indeedee-M = RU

Orbeetle = PU

Slowking = UU

Starmie = NU

Xatu = PU

S Rank

Shuckle = PU

Terrakion = OU

Tyranitar = OU

A Rank

Coalossal = PU

Nihilego = UU

B Rank

Barbaracle = RU

Cradily = PU

Lycanroc-Dusk = UU

Rhyperior = RU

C Rank

Aerodactyl = NU

Omastar = PU

D Rank

Crustle = PU

Lycanroc-Midday = PU

Solrock = PU

Stakataka = RU

S Rank

Aegislash = UU

Heatran = OU

A Rank

Celesteela = UU

Excadrill = OU

Ferrothorn = OU

Melmetal = OU

Skarmory = UU

B Rank

Bisharp = UU

Jirachi = UU

C Rank

Corviknight = OU

Durant = RU

Klefki = RU

Lucario = RU

Magnezone = RU

D Rank

Cobalion = RU

Scizor = UU

Stakataka = RU

S Rank

Toxapex = OU

A Rank

Pelipper = OU

Slowking = UU

Swampert = OU

Tapu Fini = OU

Urshifu-Rapid Strike Style = OU

B Rank

Barraskewda = OU

Crawdaunt = UU

Gastrodon = NU

Keldeo = UU

Kingdra = NU

Rotom-Wash = UU

Suicune = RU

C Rank

Araquanid = NU

Azumarill = UU

Cloyster = RU

Dracovish = UBER

Mantine = NU

Primarina = UU

Seismitoad = RU

Volcanion = RU

D Rank

Golisopod = NU

Gyarados = UU

Kabutops = PU

Lanturn = PU

Omastar = PU

Quagsire = UU

Sharpedo = RU

Slowbro = OU

Starmie = NU

Tentacruel = UU

Vaporeon = PU

roxie

is a Tutoris a Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
I honestly don't see any negatives in expanding Monotype OMs and I actually recently had a discussion about it which is still pending I guess with Room Owners + Forum Moderators. I started hosting some tournaments in the past in the Monotype Events room to develop OMs but I was the only person doing it and because it's "an events room" the thought of promoting people who may be interested in starting up tournaments and contributing doesn't seem like something that's going to get done. I do agree that exploring OMs in MWCOP would be amazing and it actually doesn't hurt to experiment at all.

I don't really see tournaments being made consistently throughout the entire year dedicated for OMs but maybe if it was some sort of 1month of year type thing where it's Official OM Tournaments? This would probably happen before MWCOP and replays from Finals are saved and it's just developing tiers while also growing our OM community from various players. Here is an example of the official room tournament that PU did, I'm just brainstorming and theorizing pretty much but I love the suggestions Fissure, hopefully we get more I:

Perish Song

flaunt
is a Tutor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnusis a Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnus
Hlelo, update time for our OMs.

Regarding AAA. Following the recent AAA suspects, we've decided to;

- Ban Poison Heal
- Ban Noivern
- Keep Kyurem

Reasonings:
We very much believe in the same reasons that it's initial reasoning why it got suspected at first place, it forces you to take extra precautions with it and in general puts a restraint on both team building and gameplay, we have seen many games where it came down to a battle of Poison Heal mons which we believe to be unhealthy.
One day Choice Specs Aerilate Noivern walks into a bar and gets surprised that there was no counter. This thing has next to no defensive counterplay for many types where it can simply come in and nuke the entire team. It puts such a heavy dent on many type's teambuilding and gameplay we decided it is best to keep this thing out of the metagame.
While being an incredibly strong Pokemon, we believe that it is not that difficult to play around Kyurem and it hasn't made a significant impact in the meta. We will be monitoring this Pokemon closely but we think there isn't a need for urgent action needs to be taken against Kyurem.

Regarding STABmons

-Keep Urshifu
-Keep Landorus T

These two are simply not overbearing in the metagame and does not have a similar impact they have in the regular STABmons meta, and make a fine addition to ours.

On another note;

1-Now that MWP is concluded the councils of supported metagames will work on uploading some sample teams for some metagames and we'll start doing more OM tours in general.

2-
Excuse my ignorance if this isn't the right place to talk about this, but has there been any recent discussion on Mono Tier Shift and/or Inverse? The latest discussions I could find on these oms were in these threads here and here, back when Monotype was being grouped together with Other Metagames. I'm only bringing it up as I personally feel that these two non-standard oms could garner a sizeable player base (compared to the other Mono Oms) given enough support. As someone who spent almost all their time on Smogon in the Other Metagames forum, my reason for writing this post isn't to attack or take spots away from currently existing Mono oms like AAA or Stabmons, but rather to say that there are more options available that can appeal to the Mono community. The Mono community has already made it very clear about its stance on the more non-standard oms being included into tours, so if tours like MWP continue to be the "OM tour", then it wouldn't hurt to experiment with other oms that have more potential to appeal to the players.
I support having more Monotype OMs getting developed, we even plan to maybe have spotlights of those metagames on biweekly or monthly periods. I just cannot give an ETA right now as I am working on another project, but if someone wants to help/contribute to OMs they are welcomed to.

Edit: A Doubles Monotype tourney is in the works with the help of the Doubles forum. Stay tuned!

Last edited:

roxie

going to make a few tournaments this week starting tomorrow, I'll set some reminders and record the results, and post here. (no this isn't for every week ;w;)
Tier
Time
Banlist
Team Dump / Samples
Saturday​
Trademarked​
10 pm GMT -4​
Trademarked + Same Type Clause​
n/a​

Sunday​
Inverse​
8 PM GMT-4​
SS Monotype + Inversemod​
n/a​

Monday​
Tier Shift​
6 PM GMT-4​
TS + Same Type Clause​
n/a​
Tuesday​
CAP​
4 PM GMT-4​
Existing Monotype Banlist, with the addition of Cawmodore(banned).​
Wednesday​
Ubers​
2 PM GMT-4​
SS Ubers + Same Type Clause​
Thursday​
Doubles​
12 Noon GMT -4​
SS DOU + Same Type Clause + Urshifu-S​
Friday​
LU (Less Used)​
10 AM GMT-4​

Last edited:

What is Mono LU? Monotype Lesser-Used an OM that bans the most used pokemon along with select bans in Monotype, allowing uncommon types to shine such as Bug or Normal. The banlist is heavily based on official Monotype Smogon Tournaments like MPL, SSNLS, MWP, and Gens by 85% while the remainder comes from the ladder. SS Monotype LU Banlist (Click me)

Council
Nailec and Fírnen

Viability Ranking
Click here

Speed Tiers List
Click here

Ban History
30/03/21: Rillaboom, Azumarill and Blacephalon are now banned.
11/04/21: Hatterene, Nihilego, Raichu-Alola, Scizor and Terrakion are now banned.
9/06/21: Mew is now banned.

Sample teams

Bug

Dark

Dragon
Sub Dracozolt by Fírnen

Electric

Fairy

Fighting

Fire

Flying

Ghost

Grass

Ground

Ice

Normal

Poison

Psychic

Rock

Steel

Water

• Bulky Offense Water By Fírnen

Last edited:

Ticken

Lotad & Bulbasaur Enthusiast
is a Top Tutoris a Tournament Directoris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Top Artistis a Programmeris a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Smogon Media Contributoris a Dedicated Tournament Host
B101 Leader
There are some changes to the Monothreat Council!
SirSkit was removed for inactivity; thank you for your time and best wishes to whatever you plan on doing next!

We are proud to add both K3ppr and TonyFlygon to the Council! Congratulations to you both and I for one am excited to see what the future has in store for the metagame. :toast:

Ticken

Lotad & Bulbasaur Enthusiast
is a Top Tutoris a Tournament Directoris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Top Artistis a Programmeris a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Smogon Media Contributoris a Dedicated Tournament Host
B101 Leader
Monothreat update: With NatDex Monothreat joining MWP this season, the Monothreat council made a preliminary VR as a basis for people to use as a guide for their builds: https://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/monotype-om-mega-thread.3660464/#post-8376522. Big thanks to K3ppr and ToxaNex for making these with me!

Quick note: Because I am using the SS sprites, the post was too large to hold all the types so I removed the Dragon and Fighting hides. If you wish to see those, they are on the portable VR which you can find by clicking the NatDex Monothreat Viability Ranking link.

roxie

Greetings,

This post is a bit overdue but anyways, I would like to congratulate my team, the Ava Max Avaluggs, on winning the MOMPL tournament. MOMPL, also known as the Monotype Other Metagames Premier League, is a discord side tournament that featured official Monotype OMs in National Dex and Monothreat, an official CAP OM in CAPMonotype, and unofficial OMs in Inverse, Tier Shift, Camomons, Trademarked, and Doubles. I have always been a huge advocate of many Monotype OMs since the USUM Monotype just because of the enjoyment of playing them and bonding with two separate communities, the Monotype community, and many Other Metagame players.

Although I didn’t host this tournament, I am so glad many people signed up and built various tiers for 7 weeks straight. Felines made a shitton of teams (literally a horse) during the first two weeks for multiple tiers and honestly, they were all pretty fun to use especially seeing how the tables changed like Normal being a top type in Inverse and Bug being very usable Tier Shift. Below, I have gathered replays with the help of Felines, and teams from the participants of the tournament to help with the development of these tiers and to showcase the skill from the participants. Compiling the replays took a LARGE amount of time. I lost most of the teams from the team dump MYB but feel free to share teams if you still have them~

Monothreat
Players: mushamu, Fissure, Fylkir Pudin, Cielau, taide, Fraolain, Plunder, Rinda, Derpeddeath

Monothreat is a Monotype OM whereby all teams are the same type, this type will be announced beforehand to give you time to build teams with tactics in mind to counter their own typing. Resources like the Viability Rankings and Council can be found here.

Team Dump
Bug https://pokepast.es/47d837d5cac07493 by mushamu
Ground https://pokepast.es/398cac3b1aef20fc by mushamu
Ground https://pokepast.es/89f7e405d8b0d11b by Fylkir Pudin

Tier Shift
Players: Felines, coo131313, maroon, RKD, ToxaNex, bea, StitChuu, Kalib_32, 2Shainz!, Maskun, roxiee, pas_touchao

Tier Shift is a metagame in which threats that normally wallow in the depths of lower tiers take centre stage! Pokemon get a +10 boost to each stat excluding HP per tier below OU they are in. UU gets +10, RU +20, NU +30, and PU +40. This pretty much allows lower-tiered Pokemon like Falinks and Crustle to have a place in the metagame. TS is now supported in the OM Megathread, check out some resources here!

CAP
Airwind, Caelum princess, Birkal, Dieu Amphibien dex18, Attitude adjuster, Prof.Otaku, Floss, RKD

CAP is pretty much the current SS Monotype metagame that features Pokemon concepts created by the Create-A-Pokemon project. A new CAP mon called Venomicon is now out with a Poison / Flying typing. This tournament showcases Chromera, a Poison / Dark typing with an interesting movepool and stat. We also discussed Revenankth's presence in the tier and it'll be watch on the upcoming CAP team tournament. Resources for this OM can be found here.

Ghost https://pokepast.es/7db2f74045687fc8 by @decem
Ghost https://pokepast.es/5121ae6e36b048ca by dex
Electric https://pokepast.es/d91e2afba2fd22c4 by dex
Electric https://pokepast.es/e1bb618e164daee8 by roxiee

National Dex
ashbala99, Girl in a kimono, Mateeus, Maskun, Yami, Pajamazz, sano manjirou, RavioliKid, |Powerman|, giove97, Decem

National Dex Monotype has come a long way from being a mini thread OM to being its own subforum with suspect tests that counts towards tiering. Check out the subforum for resources like sample teams and the viability rankings.

Trademarked
CMDoge, fabwooloousツ, yedla, The Consort, iKioi, LuckyPiper, Ainzcrad

Sacrifice your Pokémon's ability for a status move that activates on switch-in. This pretty much allows you to run something like Stealth Rocks over Intimidate on a Landorus-T.

Ground https://pokepast.es/1bd608a9853b7714 by ToxaNex
Bug https://pokepast.es/a9a1818d50e9cbbd by ToxaNex
Flying https://pokepast.es/9f752d617dbe5c9a by yedla
Dragon https://pokepast.es/42a3266c7b65becf by yedla

Inverse
RindaOkami, Plunder, Hys, SiliconVGC, zio, roxiee, Rinda, pas_touchao, Felines, Attitude adjuster, Aroma Nobody, Cielau

In Inverse, the type chart is flipped on its head, just like in battles against the guy in the Inverse House in Pokemon X and Y. Super effective attacks become not very effective and vice versa, and immunities become super effective hits. This is the tier where Rotom-C sweeps Ground teams!!! I'd say some top types are Grass, Ice, and Normal.

Bug https://pokepast.es/0105d39921e382f9 by ToxaNex
Dark https://pokepast.es/405da6aefe856d2d by K3ppr
Normal https://pokepast.es/01e7fb5abf67c679 by K3ppr

Doubles
Fírnen, Quairo, Crashy, Havens, Maki, DarkySama, SiliconVGC

Doubles Monotype is a format in which both players have two Pokémon on the field at the same time and the same type of Pokemon. This OM uses a lot of supportive moves like Tailwind, Pollen Puff, and Trick Room and double hit moves like Muddy Water and Sludge Wave. Here is a team dump from our Monotype Events Discord.

Camomons
Karl Dude Guy, The Last Shadow King, Meta, Derpeddeath, RAP Yogurt, TectonicDestroyer, DarkySama, Rukt, giove97 , K3ppr, @advt

Pokémon change type to match their first two moves. This means Pokemon like Mew and Clefable can be allowed on Electric teams if they're using Thunderbolt. Mew feels like the best Pokemon in the tier as it can adapt to pretty much any type and choose any secondary typing to fulfill the team's needs.

Psychic https://pokepast.es/6828f4c56113095a by the DragonMaster
Electric https://pokepast.es/3c018f4570d094e1 by Advt
Fighting https://pokepast.es/d359de03e56443da by K3ppr

Last edited:

roxie

Pokémon.Sword...Shield.full.2708731.png

Ghost is such a sinister type in Monotype Ubers due to its access to Marshadow, Calyrex-Shadow, and both Lunala's base and dawn wings forms. Marshadow is perfect due to its Fighting typing allowing it to unleash dangerous Close Combats on Dark-types like Hydreigon, Yveltal, and Bisharp. CMimikyu + Marshadow makes the perfect core to pressure Dark teams but be careful, setup sweepers like Galarian Moltres and Choice Scarfers like Yveltal and Weavile can still be threats! Calyrex-Shadow unleashes powerful Astral Barrages and with Choice Scarf, it becomes the fastest sweeper in the tier! Necrozma-Dawn-Wings is mainly used over Lunala to provide Stealth Rocks with Focus Sash while Lunala can provide Defog support. Dragapult is preferred over Giratina because of its high-Speed tier outpacing Pokemon like Eternatus, Mewtwo, and Nagandel. However, Giratina-Origin is still acceptable as a Ground immunity. Aegislash's role in Ubers is less significant due to the high paced metagame but its viability comes from its Steel-typing checking prominent Fairy-types like Xerneas, Magearna, and Zacian. Here is my Ghost team for Monotype Ubers:

:ss/marshadow: :ss/necrozma-dawn-wings: :ss/calyrex-shadow: :ss/mimikyu: :ss/dragapult::ss/aegislash:
https://pokepast.es/f03b5202aa4d3ea7

Ghost vs Poison
Ghost vs Fighting
Ghost vs Ghost

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)