Monotype Good Cores

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just a suggestion, and something I never addressed in the old thread when it came to 4-mon cores, it is fine to post 2 cores with a 'mon that overlaps. Despite posting one in the old thread, I'm not a fan of a "core" being 2/3rds of a team. From a team building perspective, linking cores with common 'mons is often how it is approached anyways.

I'm not trying to pick on Thimo, but you can do something like m-sab + shedy and then m-sab + aegi + jelli. Both cores function nicely when separate, and can be joined to make the vast majority of a team.
Before posting that core, I was mulling over how it could be a 3-piece core without shuckle. However, shuckle is the only way this core functions well agains pokes that could set up against either one of volcarona or yanmega, but not both (due to their specific coverage). It is often the case that a poke that gets a free turn of boosts on one of them becomes too powerful for the other to deal with after a single boost. Shuckle is the only option for negating such situations, as the core relies on sticky web (which few viable bug pokemon can set), and viable alternatives boil down to thunder waving the would-be sweeper (since the only taunter bug has is kricketune), something that would severely hamper galvantula's coverage options and is significantly less reliable (hax, lum berries, immunities, etc). I agree that 4 pokemon cores should not be the norm, but in certain cases, the parts are simply irreplaceable to make it function optimally.

Wanka

is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
UUPL Champion
Before posting that core, I was mulling over how it could be a 3-piece core without shuckle. However, shuckle is the only way this core functions well agains pokes that could set up against either one of volcarona or yanmega, but not both (due to their specific coverage). It is often the case that a poke that gets a free turn of boosts on one of them becomes too powerful for the other to deal with after a single boost. Shuckle is the only option for negating such situations, as the core relies on sticky web (which few viable bug pokemon can set), and viable alternatives boil down to thunder waving the would-be sweeper (since the only taunter bug has is kricketune), something that would severely hamper galvantula's coverage options and is significantly less reliable (hax, lum berries, immunities, etc). I agree that 4 pokemon cores should not be the norm, but in certain cases, the parts are simply irreplaceable to make it function optimally.
I wouldn't be so quick to say that. I only used 3 in my bug core and there really wasn't any issue. Yeah for bug's case I agree it's kinda hard to only explain a bug core with 2-3 pokes, but it really isn't all that difficult to just slide yanmega into the good teammates part of the post because it just makes everything a whole lot simpler for new players to just go in and pick up a 2-3 mon core as opposed to forcing a 4th mon on there. If they are really interested they will look at the teammate suggestions and go from there but if I were a new player and I saw a 4+ mon core somewhere then I'd kinda get stuck because two thirds of my team would already be made for me and there would be no room for creativity and I'd be left scratching my head.

It just creates a much simpler way for players to pick up if its 2-3 mons so I get where scp is coming from. No shame in detailing the teammates section as opposed to forcing the issue with the initial core.

I wouldn't be so quick to say that. I only used 3 in my bug core and there really wasn't any issue. Yeah for bug's case I agree it's kinda hard to only explain a bug core with 2-3 pokes, but it really isn't all that difficult to just slide yanmega into the good teammates part of the post because it just makes everything a whole lot simpler for new players to just go in and pick up a 2-3 mon core as opposed to forcing a 4th mon on there. If they are really interested they will look at the teammate suggestions and go from there but if I were a new player and I saw a 4+ mon core somewhere then I'd kinda get stuck because two thirds of my team would already be made for me and there would be no room for creativity and I'd be left scratching my head.

It just creates a much simpler way for players to pick up if its 2-3 mons so I get where scp is coming from. No shame in detailing the teammates section as opposed to forcing the issue with the initial core.
Note that I never said that bug cores couldn't function with less than 4 pokes. In this case however, there is absolutely no reason to add Yanmega to the good teammates section, if it serves a specific function for the team that cannot be replaced by any other pokemon, simply because bug type doesn't have any alternative powerful enough to serve the same role. Using anything else would mean that some additional matchups are unwinnable because certain damage ranges cannot be hit, and benefits, if any, are marginal. I'm aware that the core isn't as flexible as most, but as I said before, bug type's flexibility isn't its strongest suite.
This is not a core I would recommend to novices, since it requires a certain knack for prediction. Bug type in general is not one I would recommend to players just picking up monotype, but if they insist on trying it out using the core i posted, they might find it confusing that a mandatory addition to the team is added to the "good teammates" section.

Wanka

is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
UUPL Champion
Every pokemon on a team serves a specific function for that respective team lol. I understand because you made it clearer later on but don't give me that logic. With that logic we might as well just be putting up teams of six on here.

Take my core for example, that core, along with yours, really needs yanmega coverage because volc just simply doesn't have enough moveslots to cover other types I want to cover. So yeah you could say yanmega is mandatory for that core too because like you said in your description of your core, they compliment each other beautifly which I 100% agree with. But, for simplistic reasons, I didn't add yanmega to my core or an offenisve scizor to my core even though they should probably be seeing usage with that core. Does that make my core bad? No! Who am I to tell a newer player or a player new to bug that they probably shouldn't try and pick up my core or your core because it is difficult to use. No matter what I think we should strive for that simplicity and not just try and tailor our shit for the established community even though it may seem like it would be the best thing to do at the time. At this point, we should be focusing on building up the community as opposed to doing things for the good of the people who already have the knowledge.

Idk that seemed like a pretty weird rant but I hope you get what im saying. Note that I completely understand where you are coming from by making the 4 mon core but all i'm sayin is that we just gotta make it simpler whether we like it or not.

scpinion

Life > Monotype... unfortunately :)
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I wanted to share a core from my favorite team right now. I call the team "U-Turn Spam Normal", and this is the offensive core that really makes the archetype shine. The team itself isn't anything original, but the U-turn theme is quite fun to play with.

Pidgeot-Mega @ Pidgeotite
Ability: No Guard
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Hurricane
- Heat Wave
- U-turn
- Toxic

Diggersby @ Choice Band
Ability: Huge Power
Happiness: 0
EVs: 56 HP / 252 Atk / 200 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Earthquake
- Frustration
- Quick Attack
- U-turn

How to Use
Monotype is filled with balanced teams that have a dedicated special wall and a dedicated physical wall. This offensive core preys on this type of team by utilizing two strong attackers with U-Turn. You can actively pivot between the two attackers as your opponent switches between walls. With the balanced nature of Normal teams you can also pivot into the defensive core, should your opponent regain momentum. Once the opposing team is whittled, both m-bird and Diggersby have sweeping potential.

I like to run Toxic on my m-bird to catch special walls I'm not comfortable pivoting around on. It allows me to whittle them down using the defensive side of the team, opposed to the offensive. Roost could work in the final slot as well. I don't like running HP Ground there when I can just pivot into Diggersby/Chansey on Heatran.

Threats
This core is built to beat most of the defensive cores you'll find in monotype with proper play, it actually struggles with offensive threats more than defensive ones.
Hazards really put a stop to this strategy, and are great against Normal in general.
M-Medi is annoying because it can fake-out + BP w/ a bit of chip damage on m-bird and just bops Diggersby w/ HJK (banded QA does 60%). Normal also can't switch into it.
Scarf 'mons that can also threaten Chan/Pory2. Trick is annoying to deal with b/c it cripples part of the defensive core, but it often negates the threat as well. Scarf Keldeo is annoying if you don't play around it well.

Good Partners
Hazard control is really important and Defensive Staraptor is a perfect partner for this core. It provides a reliable Defog and a slow U-turn to help regain momentum when you're on the defensive.

Chansey can set SR, absorb attacks/status and spread paralysis, which really helps Diggersby clean weakened teams.

Replays
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/monotype-280081351

Last edited:
Offensive Fire Core

Rotom-Heat @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Volt Switch
- Thunderbolt
- Overheat
- Hidden Power [Ice]

This is a Volt-turn Fire core that has given me a positive matchup against Flying and has made the Psychic matchup tolerable. Each turn is an opportunity to force a 50/50 that can pick Gliscor or Lando-T with HP Ice or to just pivot off any other team member with Volt Switch, leading to either a Bolt Strike/Rock Slide pick or a Zapdos/skarm pick with zardy (depending on your other core members). This strategy is infinitely better with Stealth Rock. The strategy is much less strategic against Psychic, wherein you continually spam Volt-turn until you can't simply continue spamming it. This situation is rare unless they use SR, although it's dramatically more effective if you turn on timer so they don't take forever for their inevitably unsafe switch. Overheat is for STAB, Thunderbolt is for shitting on teams once their elec immunities are dead and are both less important to the core.

Victini @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Victory Star
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly/Naive Nature
- V-create
- Bolt Strike
- U-turn
- Zen Headbutt/Energy Ball (zen for fighting, energy ball for ground)

OR

Darmanitan @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Sheer Force
Jolly Nature
- Flare Blitz
- U-turn
- Rock Slide
- Earthquake/Superpower (depends if you want to hit balloontran with superpower or if you want to avoid a stat drop, you're confident you can pop it, or youre scared of doublade predicts with earthquake)

Part 2 of this core is the U-turner, who can either be Darmanitan to kill Fires and Steels, or Victini for Waters and Fightings/Grounds and speed beating... idk... frogadier? It used to beat genesect? It beats random modests/adamants, Hydreigon, and doesn't speed tie 95's. Basically this is the thing that you often pivot off of dead mons for momentum with, or the thing you volt switch to for either a pick or a u-turn weakness that you can potentially kill with a u-turn that you can then pivot to rotom-h for another volt switch... I am literally describing volt-turn, there are much better guides if you want to know what volt-turn is than what I can write in a paragraph. The powerful Fire move is essentially for taking stabs at teams if you think they expect a U-Turn and no other mon covers it, or if there are rocks down and Fire Volt-turn can't work for obvious reasons. Alternatively, you switched out to one of these for a pick and you want to use your actual moves rather than spamming U-Turn. The moves are self-explanatory and what they cover are fairly obvious. IMO the fourth move on either of them is really up in the air but the two options I listed are pretty good.

Threats to this core are Electric immunities (Thundurus-T being a major one as he isn't 4x weak to HP ice), scarfers faster than base 100 (Terrakion, Keldeo, and Thundurus-T are all threatening ones), and rocks setters, because they can obviously force you to stop Volt-Turning. Defog Charizard-Y is a good teammate when you can't avoid rocks getting set up on you, or Torkoal if you enjoy losing momentum to spin rocks.

Last edited:

Vid

Our life is what our thoughts make it
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Offensive Dark Core
Since the cores have not been active recently I decided to add another Hoopa-U core this time for dark.

Hoopa-Unbound @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Magician
EVs: 180 Atk / 76 SpA / 252 Spe
Hasty Nature
- Hyperspace Fury
- Gunk Shot
- Energy Ball/Drain Punch/Thunderbolt/Hidden Power (Fire)
- Hyperspace Hole

Bisharp @ Life Orb/Lum Berry/Black Glasses
Ability: Defiant
Adamant Nature
- Knock Off
- Iron Head
- Sucker Punch
- Swords Dance

Crawdaunt @ Life Orb/Lum Berry
Ability: Adaptability
Adamant Nature
- Aqua Jet
- Crabhammer
- Knock Off
- Swords Dance
or
Crawdaunt @ Choice Band
Ability: Adaptability
Adamant Nature
- Aqua Jet
- Crabhammer
- Knock Off
- Crunch
The core functions as Hoopa-U being the "fighting killer" killing most fighting types with hyperspace hole. Also it is able to beat Sub CM Keldeo which can be a problem for this core and dark teams in general. Hoopa-U also checks fairy types with gunk shot as well. Hyperspace Fury is main powerful STAB and is very hard to switch into without a resit for it. Last move is a coverage move depending on what you prefer to beat. Energy Ball for Pokemon like Swampert and other water and ground types. Thunderbolt for Water and Flying types. Drain Punch for steel, normal, and dark types. Hp Fire is for steel and grass types. Next member of the core is Bisharp. Bisharp's role on the core is to cleanup teams and to check fairy types as well. Iron Head is STAB to get rid of fairy types. Knock off is main Dark STAB and is very powerful. Sucker Punch is form of powerful priority. Swords Dance is way for Bisharp to boost its attack to high levels and is very useful for sweeping. Crawdaunt is there for its sheer power and can be a sweeper. Aqua jet is a powerful form of priority with adaptability and STAB taken into account. Crabhammer is main water STAB and is very powerful. Knock Off is powerful and gets rid of item. Swords Dance is used on Life Orb and Lum Berry sets in an attempt for Crawdaunt to sweep teams. Crunch is used on Choice Banded Sets to hit certain Megas for more damage.

Hoopa-U: Hoopa-U can run Life Orb to wallbreak lots of Mons but does not accomplish much. Hoopa-U can also run Choice Band for sheer power but the lose of speed is crucial. Also Sub Nasty Plot is an option but as I said the speed lose is devastating
Bisharp: Can Run choice as a surprise factor (not recommended) Also sash rocks is an option with T-Wave
Crawdaunt: Can run DD but DD is terrible. Do not run it. DD Crawdaunt should never be considered on a serious team

Fast fairy types threaten this core because they are able to outspeed and kill the core although the core can check them.
Terrakion is a big threat due to being faster than Hoopa-U and it being a common scarfer
Fast and Scarf Bug Types threaten this core because of lack of checks to bug types

Burns and Beats majority of threatening physical attackers to this core
Good Defoger also helps with Bug Types and Fighting types as well
Has access to stealth rocks to help this core pick up more kills. Also can "Tank" special moves
Is a decent check to bug types with Fire Blast. Also can give team momentum with U-Turn
helps this core with special attackers and it also has access to heal bell so the core can be played a lot more recklessly.

Works very well with Lax's Core which can be found here
Also Kaiser's Dark team utilizes this core which can be found here

OFFENSIVE WATER CORE

Sharpedo-Mega @ Sharpedonite
Ability: Speed Boost -> Strong Jaw
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Naughty / Adamant Nature
- Crunch
- Hydro Pump / Waterfall
- Ice Fang
- Protect

Manaphy @ Leftovers
Ability: Hydration
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Tail Glow
- Scald
- Psychic / Energy Ball / Rain Dance
- Ice Beam / Energy Ball / Rain Dance​

This is a pretty simple core to use and understand. Mega Sharpedo is the offense breaker, and Manaphy is the stallbreaker. Preserve Mega Sharpedo for the late game, when its checks and counters have been weakened sufficiently, then use it to clean up. Use Manaphy in the early and mid-game, where it can use its respectable natural bulk to set up a tail glow against most defensive mons, and then use the boosts to smash through the walls or offensive mons that may be able to stop Sharpedo from sweeping.

Sharpedo can run Waterfall over Hydro Pump for accuracy, but it's generally not worth it because you lose out on the ability to kill Skarmory. Other than that, the moves are relatively set in stone.

Manaphy, on the other hand, has a few more options. You could opt for a tail glow + rain dance set to take on stall teams better, and power up your team's stabs, or you could run energy ball to help take on the water ditto easier.

Breloom - Breloom is a threat all balanced water teams need to be prepared for. Sash Breloom can live a psychic from Manaphy and kill it with bullet seed, and OHKO Sharpedo with Mach Punch.
Fast Electric Types / Grass Types - As the core does not include an electric or a grass sponge, you will need to provide one. This is mostly because bulkier defensive teammates will be used to handle Sharpedo, so you cannot rely on it to take all these on.

Swampert makes a good partner to this core, providing an electric immunity, hazard setter, and physical wall.

Keldeo is a good mon on any water team, and this one is no different. Keldeo gives you a check to freeze dry spam ice (I'm not kidding you, this is a serious threat I've been beaten by before), chansey (can twave Sharpedo and wall Manaphy), other bulky normals, ferrothorn, and more.

Azumarill is another good partner to this core. Azumarill provides it with a dragon resist, a fighting resist, a chansey and ferrothorn check (if superpower), and priority.

Starmie provides the core with a Breloom check, a venusaur check (if non-psychic Manaphy), and a general fighting check.

Gyarados is yet another Breloom check, a good partner to Sharpedo, and a general fighting check.

Last edited:

Vid

Our life is what our thoughts make it
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Balanced Fairy Core

Gardevoir-Mega @ Gardevoirite
Ability: Trace
EVs: 24 Def / 232 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Hyper Voice
- Psyshock
- Protect/Wil-O-Wsip/Calm Mind/Taunt
- Focus Blast

Diancie @ Leftovers
Ability: Clear Body
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 SpD
Sassy Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Diamond Storm
- Moonblast
- Toxic/Trick Room/Earth Power

Clefable @ Leftovers
Ability: Magic Guard
EVs: 252 HP / 172 Def / 84 SpD
Calm Nature
- Calm Mind
- Moonblast
- Soft-Boiled
- Thunder Wave/Flamethrower
Instead of using the standard Mega Diancie fairy core this is an alternative option to using Mega Diancie core. Mega Gardevoir is stallbreaker and hits very hard. Hyper Voice is powerful STAB with pixlate boost. Psyshock is there to hit poison types and hits fat special walls on the physical side. Focus Blast is used to hit steel types that wall Gardevoir's dual STAB. Last move is up to preference. Dianice is the specially defensive wall that most fairy cores lack (screens often compensate for that) and sets up rocks freeing up Clefable to abuse CM Set more. Diamond Storm and Moonblast are attacking moves that are used to Diancie isn't a sitting duck. Last move Toxic is best option due to being able to spread poison status to fat walls but other options have their uses. Last Mon of the core is Clefable one of niches this core provides is freeing up a move slot on Clefable making it a lot more effective as a Calm Mind sweeper. Moonblast is STAB move and is very powerful with couple CM boosts. Soft-Boiled is used to recover Clefable's HP. Last move can either be Thunder Wave to slow down faster threats allowing set up to be done a lot easier or Flamethrower which is an extra check to Scizor on a "generic fairy team." Clefable also helps with the Poison matchup
Steel types in general are very hard for this core to deal with as with most fairy cores
The Nido's threaten this core with their powerful dual STAB as they do with most fairy core Mega Gardevoir does a decent job checking them
Pretty much a must on most fairy teams sets up screens making Clefable a lot more threatening
Another Staple also helps vs ground types and steel matchup
Good scarfer also is really good for hazard removal as well as a cleric
Another good Belly Drummer and helps vs steel which is a troublesome matchup
Has access to memento and can Sub Seed just a decent fairy Mon

Sakis

Banned deucer.
Balanced Water Core : Seismitoad + Tentacruel

+

This is a Balanced Utility-Based Core i ve been using on Mono Water for a while now with huge success. This is what i mostly used for laddering with my "I AM GROOOOT" alt and got 90 gxe with. This core provides the team with huge amounts of utility such as Stealth Rock, Hazard Control, Toxic Spikes, and Knock Off and excells in supportive both Offensive and Balance builds. Since gen 7 is coming out i decided that i should share it with you guys.

Tentacruel @ Black Sludge
Ability: Liquid Ooze
EVs: 248 HP / 244 Def / 16 Spe
Timid Nature
- Toxic Spikes
- Acid Spray
- Scald
- Rapid Spin

This speed tier allows it to outspeed base 70s like Jolly Bisharp and Breloom which is usually what Balanced water teams lose to nowadays. This set provides the team with toxic spikes and Hazard control but it also provides wallbreaking capabilities due to Acid Spray. Acid spray is also pretty useful for clefable which can be problematic sometimes.

Seismitoad @ Leftovers
Ability: Water Absorb
EVs: 248 HP / 36 SpA / 224 Spe
Timid Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Scald
- Earth Power
- Knock Off

This Specific Spread allows Seismitoad to outspeed base 70s as well, providing the team with more options against Pokemon like Bisharp and Breloom. I used Water Absorb because this way Seismitoad completely walls and therefore shuts down Rotom and can weaken it with Knock Off and Scald burns.

This core is being used to set the field for late game sweepers such as Mega-Sharpedo or Kingdra in rain teams. Stealth Rocks and toxic spikes make the work of Water's sweepers a lot easier. You usually get up Hazards and try to pressure the opposing hazard removals with your other pokemon or with status conditions such as burns and poison or Knock Off their items and when they are down you get hazzards back up and win. The way this core works is really simple minded but its up to the user to make it work and get the most benefit out of it.

Good partners for this core are Mega-Sharpedo , fast Sweepers like Kingdra under rain and Wallbreakers like Keldeo and Offensive Starmie. A thing that is definately needed is a way to beat dragons because this core is really utility based and it cant really take hits. Dragons will just overrun you if you dont really have a way to deal with them. Hazzards can do the half work but a thing that sweeps dragons is neccessary. Pokemon that do that are Cloyster and Kingdra.

As mentioned above this core is Offense oriented and it is based on spreading utility and status so it doesnt really have that good amount of Bulk so heavy hitters might prove to be problematic. In order to really beat those teams you will need planning ahead and no pointless switch-ins. However, this core isnt here to wall things but spread utility and hazzards so a well thought use of those pokemon through the battle will be enough to allow your sweepers to get rid of those heavy hitters.

Last edited:

Drifting

wrapped in plastic
is a Tiering Contributor
DEFENSIVE GROUND CORE

upload_2016-9-11_16-59-5.png

Torterra @ Leftovers
Ability: Shell Armor
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 Def
Impish Nature
- Leech Seed
- Synthesis
- Seed Bomb
- Earthquake

upload_2016-9-11_16-59-17.png

Gastrodon @ Leftovers
Ability: Storm Drain
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
- Scald
- Earth Power
- Recover
- Toxic

Torterra: Does not die to anything using physical attacks. I've stalled out a +6 snorlax, and a chansey (in the same battle) just with the power of leech seed. seed bomb means water has very little switch ins to this monster. Here are some calcs to show what I mean.

252+ Atk Choice Band Huge Power Azumarill Play Rough vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Torterra: 186-220 (47.2 - 55.8%) -- 23.8% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
252 Atk Hoopa Unbound Hyperspace Fury vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Torterra: 133-157 (33.7 - 39.8%) -- 27.1% chance to 3HKO after Leftovers recovery
252 Atk Salamence Outrage vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Torterra: 141-166 (35.7 - 42.1%) -- 90.4% chance to 3HKO after Leftovers recovery

I could go on, but we still have;

Gastrodon: the perfect type coverage, goes neutral with ice, beats fire, beats special waters. It just works with torterra so well, and torterra works so well with it.

This is my favourite defensive core in monotype, and to be honest, it walls most types that aren't super effective against ground

inb4 rise of ground

Attachments

DEFENSIVE GROUND CORE

View attachment 69421
Torterra @ Leftovers
Ability: Shell Armor
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 Def
Impish Nature
- Leech Seed
- Synthesis
- Seed Bomb
- Earthquake

View attachment 69422
Gastrodon @ Leftovers
Ability: Storm Drain
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
- Scald
- Earth Power
- Recover
- Toxic

Torterra: Does not die to anything using physical attacks. I've stalled out a +6 snorlax, and a chansey (in the same battle) just with the power of leech seed. seed bomb means water has very little switch ins to this monster. Here are some calcs to show what I mean.

252+ Atk Choice Band Huge Power Azumarill Play Rough vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Torterra: 186-220 (47.2 - 55.8%) -- 23.8% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
252 Atk Hoopa Unbound Hyperspace Fury vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Torterra: 133-157 (33.7 - 39.8%) -- 27.1% chance to 3HKO after Leftovers recovery
252 Atk Salamence Outrage vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Torterra: 141-166 (35.7 - 42.1%) -- 90.4% chance to 3HKO after Leftovers recovery

I could go on, but we still have;

Gastrodon: the perfect type coverage, goes neutral with ice, beats fire, beats special waters. It just works with torterra so well, and torterra works so well with it.

This is my favourite defensive core in monotype, and to be honest, it walls most types that aren't super effective against ground

inb4 rise of ground
I rly like your core man, however there are a few little changes that you can make to make this core so much better!

Firstly, I'd actually swap Gastro and Torterra's roles. A physically defensive Gastrodon does have the ability to avoid a 2ko from a +1 or Specs Keldeos Secret Sword, and if Sub CM, break it's sub with EQ. Torterra on the other hand has that neat niche with its part grass typing to actually threaten Water Types in general. A Specially Defensive spread can allow it to bulk a lot of common water type attacks which are mostly special.

After you do that, I would go more in depth on their roles. The descriptions you have atm I feel are a little insufficient, and I can imagine you can fix that by instead of generalizing being much more specific. I'd also explain how exactly these 2 go well together, instead of making a redundant statement. If you give specific examples and arguments as to why they do said roles, and perform well together will make you seem a lot more convincing.

Otherwise, I think it's creative and a great defensive core for Sandless Ground teams especially!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)