Monotype Monotype Flying HO

:sm/Skarmory: :sm/Dragonite: :sm/Thundurus-Therian: :ss/zapdos-galar: :sm/Landorus-Therian: :sm/Tornadus-Therian:

Standard Suicide Lead Spikes set. Usually you simply click Spikes a bunch of times before you Faint. You can just look at the analysis here. I am aware that I need to have at least 3 lines of text per team member, but I really don't know what to put here, it's a very simple and common set.
The basic plan with this set is to get Dragonite safely in, for example with all the U-Turn or Volt-Switch support on my team, and then safely set up thanks to Multiscale. I've experimented with Fire Punch over Extreme Speed or Roost over Extreme Speed, but I find the coverage and longevity too slow compared to Extreme Speed, since otherwise I'd need to set up to outspeed somewhat fast opponents. I also first ran Dragon Claw over Outrage, but the immense increase in power makes up for being locked into Outrage.
Thundurus-Therian was chosen as my premiere answer to Electric, being able to absorb Electric hits. Volt-Switch for super-free momentum with it's absurd Speed with Scarf, Sludge Bomb for Fairy, which this team otherwise has a dificult time breaking through stuff like Clefable, Focus-Blast for Rock and more notably the common Steel, and Psychic for Poison. The later I mentioned them the more filler-y the move. Thundurus is such a consistently good Pokémon with Volt-Switch get such free momentum.
Zapdos is the overall least per forming member of the team, but also the most fun member. It's a great breaker that punishes Defoggers attempting to Defog Skarmory's Spikes away with Defiant and helpes a ton against Ice. It can also grab momentum with U-Turn to finish of weakened opponents and switch out at a team member, such as Dragonite for a often-free Dragon Dance or Tornadus to U-Turn himself with it's blistering 375 Speed whilst knowing what the opponent has send out. It originally had Steel Wing for Fairy types, but I swapped it out with the more common Stomping Tantrum after swapping Thunderbolt with Sludge bomb on Thundurus-Therian.
Landorus serves as another answer to Electric with it's Ground typing. This set is heavily inspired by the DragMag set that won 2/2 in SPL, in that it's the exact same set. Originally it was a Life Orb set that just wanted to dish out damage, but this sweeper set it better overall in my testing. The basic plan is to set up with Double Dance, usually on bulky and/or Physical attackers thanks to Intimidate, and then sweep. After just one Rock Polish it outspeeds the entire unboosted meta game with even needing to be Jolly.
This is the last member to be put on the team in team building. I realised that I needed a Defogger, and based on recommendation in the Smogon Discord Tornadus-Therian is the best Defogger that doesn't lose too much offensive momentum. It's a Sample set from Gen 7, just with Timbs instead of Leftovers if I remember correctly. It's a support set with the afformentioned Defog, the second fastest U-Turn aside from his shocking brother. It also has Knock-Off to threaten the common Ghosts and Hurricane for good damage.

Last edited:

mushamu

God jihyo
is a Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Former Smogon Metagame Tournament Circuit Champion
Hello, I was stopping by and I felt like giving some tips to help you with your team. So what you seem to be going for with this team is some sort of bulky offense rather than hyper offense. Hyper offense typically capitalizes on fast hitters, a lead, and a bunch of setup sweepers in order to break through the opposing team efficiently and quickly, but this team doesn't really fit the criteria. You have a lead Skarmory which the main focus would be to stay around for a long duration so that you can spam Spikes throughout the game, not get them up turns 1-3, dip so the rest of your team can plow. You also have a Defog Tornadus-T, which serves as a bulky pivot which bulky offensive teams rely on.

I really do like the feel of the team, so I'm going to give advice on both the bulky offense and hyper offense direction. Hyper offensive Flying really isn't good in the current SS Monotype metagame due to how hard it is to chip down Pokemon with Stealth Rock when you have Heavy Duty Boots, as well as the lack of Pokemon to sufficiently cover most matchups in the metagame. In SM, you had a powerful wallbreaker in Mega Charizard Y and Z-moves which made hyper offensive Flying thrive as a playstyle, but the same cannot be said here when the metagame is more fat oriented.

https://pokepast.es/47a5cf12e6eec16d
This is the version with the least changes, mainly only stemming from the Pokemon. Spikes stack bulky offense/balance is a cool idea, so I focused on that. Whirlwind Skarmory helps with Pokemon like Spectrier and Dragapult which Toxic cannot. Stealth Rock Landorus-T feels better for hazard stack, while you can beat Electric with bulky Dragonite. Since Landorus-T provides Knock Off now for Heavy Duty Boots, I decided to change Tornadus-T's Knock Off to Taunt to block Defoggers who try to remove your hazards. I changed the Dragonite's set from an offensive Dragon Dance set to a more defensively oriented set with Roost, which capitalizes on Dragonite's typing which is very useful towards bulky offensive teams. Providing the team with a Fire and Water resist helps with weather types, and having an Electric neutrality is also important against the type itself. Earthquake is needed to hit Toxapex and beat Electric, Dragon Claw is better than Outrage on this set since you don't risk confusion and can Roost freely. I replaced Galarian Zapdos's moves with Throat Chop and Close Combat, you definitely need Throat Chop to hit Psychic and Aegislash and Close Combat lets you 2HKO Mandibuzz. Grass Knot on Thundurus-T is needed to hit Pokemon like Swampert and Gastrodon which come in against Volt Switch when facing Water and Ground.

https://pokepast.es/4812f24c3a61f8ed
If you really want to try out true hyper offense then I made a team. A lot of the changes like Galarian Zapdos and Thundurus-T's moveset are similar to the one I posted above, but Aerodactyl seems favored as a lead here because of its higher speed stat compared to Skarmory. Dragonite is offensive Dragon Dance, with Earthquake over Dual Wingbeat since Flying coverage is pretty useless on it. Meteor Beam Celesteela gives you a nice reliable setup sweeper against types like Dark, Psychic, Flying, Ice, and Dragon, while Landorus-T's main use on this team is for breaking things like Flying mirrors and Steel. You need Knock Off to remove Heavy Duty Boots this generation, so it is there.

https://pokepast.es/c01c8c5d026b999e
This is the bulky offense version I tried which derives from your team. A lot of the changes are similar to the team above. The rest of the team is a bit different; defensive Landorus-T and Corviknight form a decent defensive backbone to support the 4 offensive powerhouses this team has because they both have U-turn to pivot around and support the team with Stealth Rock and Defog respectively. Galarian Moltres is the last Pokemon and is fantastic in Monotype where it handles balance nicely, and also gives you a Ghost resist. Beforehand, the team struggled against things like Psychic and Poison. Overall this variant should deal with most things reliably, just be careful around Dragon Dance Dragapult since Corviknight can't touch it like Celesteela can as a Steel.

I tried to have different variants for teams so you could try out which option you like the best. They do seem pretty Hatterene and CM Tapu Fini weak, but those aren't really common Pokemon as of right now and you have outs anyways. I would recommend testing them to see which you like better, although I do enjoy the central idea of the team. Hit me up on Smogon/Discord/PS if you ever have any more questions and good luck. I had fun figuring out different combinations for this rate.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)