Monotype Monotype Fire Team

Thank you for taking the time to Rate My Team. This is my first post and I'm hoping to ingratiate myself upon the Smogon community by bringing something to the table. I'm hoping some of my team building techniques bleed through in my post so you can constructively criticize my teambuilding techniques as well as the team itself. Allow me to introduce The Pizza Factory.

1668630736983.png

Pepperoni (Rotom-Heat) @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Overheat
- Thunder
- Defog
- Trick

The first member of the squad, scarf Rotom. This is a really great mon, especially in monotype, and an auto-include on any monotype fire team. Levitate gives an all important Earthquake switch in. Overheat for that extra oomph, I also like to mindgame by staying in and clicking Overheat a few times against potential U-turns and Volt Switches. Thunder, for much the same reason, damage is good. I really like it against water teams as they are often built around rain dance, making thunder 100% accurate. Defog for hazard removal, Stealth Rocks really hurt. Finally, Trick is to help lock in potential boosters and walls with scarf. Max speed and special attack so that Rotom can still have an offensive presence once the scarf is gone.

1668630682768.png

Olive (Volcarona) (F) @ Heavy-Duty Boots
Ability: Flame Body
EVs: 72 HP / 252 Def / 184 Spe
Bold Nature
- Fiery Dance
- Bug Buzz
- Substitute
- Quiver Dance

This leads into Sub Volc. Volcarona is a beast if allowed to set up, a great special sweeper, really shining against Dark teams. Flame body is great for those potential burns, giving this team a great switch in on U-turns. I like Fiery Dance for the potential special attack boosts and obligatory fire STAB move. Bug Buzz for the STAB power and to tear through Psychic and Dark teams. Substitute is mostly to avoid Toxic and get a Quiver Dance off. Quiver Dance is a must on Volcarona, hitting 423 speed after one dance, out speeding Timid Dragapult. I slapped Heavy-Duty Booties on because of the 4x Stealth Rocks weakness and it is super stinky getting out sped by everything after a Sticky Web. The rest of the Evs into bulk so she can take a few hits, beef up the Substitutes a little bit, opponents will often go for strong physical attacks knowing Volcarona tends to be frail.

1668630639104.png

Bacon (Incineroar) (M) @ Assault Vest
Ability: Intimidate
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 176 HP / 96 Atk / 192 Def / 44 Spe
Impish Nature
- Knock Off
- Flare Blitz
- Close Combat
- U-turn

This is my Incineroar, I use him on a lot of teams. I find him very strong in Monotype due to his excellent coverage and momentum potential as he forces a lot of switches. He absolutely tears through Ghost teams. Knock Off and Flare Blitz, I feel like these are the best STAB moves available. Just be careful not to Knock Off the scarf you tricked onto your opponents mon. I have found Close Combat to be extremely useful to fill out the coverage, as after your opponents items have been removed, Knock Off loses its teeth. Close combat also helps against that pesky Normal team. U-turn is just too good, I prefer it over Parting Shot so I have access to Assault Vest, pushing Incineroar's bulk even further. Parting Shot is great and all, but Defiant can completely shift the momentum on a good prediction. No thanks. 44 Speed to out speed un-invested Scizor. HP and DEF tank one Adamant max attack Landorus Earthquake, this allows U-turn after Lando comes in and quakes. The rest into Attack so Knock Off OHKOs Dragapult.

1668630513635.png

Green Pepper (Volcanion) @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Water Absorb
Timid Nature
- Steam Eruption
- Flamethrower
- Earth Power
- Sludge Wave

Volcanion is the best solution I've found to try and deal with Urshifu-Rapid-Strike Surging Strikes, a threat I feel all Fire teams must acknowledge. Water Absorb is really clutch in general on Fire teams, bringing hope of victory against Rain teams. Steam Eruption is the best move to click 90% of the time, it can be very difficult for opponents to switch in. Flamethrower instead of Fire Blast for the accuracy and help with PP stall. Earth Power for Heatran and Poison teams. Sludge Wave is eh and something I would like replace. I don't feel like I use it often enough to justify the slot, the only mons I like to sludge wave are Tapu Bulu and Tapu Koko, the latter being problematic due to speed issues. Choice scarf is my favorite item on Volcanion, it nets so many surprise KOs, most notably Landorus. Be wary of Tapu Koko, the bane of this set, as Koko out speeds and drops your health bar faster than panties at a Kenny Chesney concert.

1668630463849.png

Canadian Bacon (Cinderace) (M) @ Air Balloon
Ability: Libero
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Pyro Ball
- Sucker Punch
- Low Kick
- Bulk Up

The Ace in the hole. Being able to change your typing in a monotype battle meta is powerful. The mind game potential is titillating. Cinderace also hits a great speed tier, it's fast. Pyro Ball for the strong STAB. Sucker Punch for priority, after a Bulk Up Cinderace becomes very hard to revenge kill. I like Low Kick because it hits hard the things it needs too, and if Ditto happens to switch in on you and get your stat boost, you don't want to give him access to High Jump Kick. Bulk Up compensates for Cinderace underwhelming defenses and compliments his high speed, flex those Nerd muscles! Don't, I repeat, don't underestimate the value of Air Balloon. This is a critical play to make and one I'm obliged to mention. After Rotom is gone, this is your earth quake switch in. Do Not reveal the Air Balloon too early! This is perhaps one of the more difficult things to remember while learning to battle with this team.

1668630358891.png

Jalapeno (Marowak-Alola) (M) @ Thick Club
Ability: Lightning Rod
Jolly Nature
- Bonemerang
- Shadow Bone
- Flare Blitz
- Flame Charge

Ahhh, my favorite. Alolan Marowak is the spice to this team and brings a lot to the table. Firstly, Normal and Electric immunities. Volcanion and Marowak are two peas in a pod, strong prediction plays are there to be made with those two. Regieleki is otherwise a big problem, Marowak solves that. Volt Switch in general is really hard to deal with, Marowak helps with all these things. After a flame charge Marowak hits 310 Speed, nothing to sniff at. Slowbro and Slowking go down to a Shadow Bone, Toxapex fears Bonemarang, Flare Blitz hits almost as hard as Darmanitan's Flare Blitz. In matches where Marowak looks weak, don't be afraid to lead and watch the work Jalapeno will puts in, its an uncommon mon and catches opponents off guard, they often expect a Swords Dance and when you flame Charge ---> Shadow Bone into a free KO, it feels yummy.

Last edited:

Neko

When you live for love, how precious life can be
is a Site Content Manageris an official Team Rateris a Social Media Contributoris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Top Contributor
Thank you for taking the time to Rate My Team. This is my first post and I'm hoping to ingratiate myself upon the Smogon community by bringing something to the table. I'm hoping some of my team building techniques bleed through in my post so you can constructively criticize my teambuilding techniques as well as the team itself. Allow me to introduce The Pizza Factory.

View attachment 466173
Pepperoni (Rotom-Heat) @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Levitate
Timid Nature
- Overheat
- Thunder
- Defog
- Trick

The first member of the squad, scarf Rotom. This is a really great mon, especially in monotype, and an auto-include on any monotype fire team. Levitate gives an all important Earthquake switch in. Overheat for that extra oomph, I also like to mindgame by staying in and clicking Overheat a few times against potential U-turns and Volt Switches. Thunder, for much the same reason, damage is good. I really like it against water teams as they are often built around rain dance, making thunder 100% accurate. Defog for hazard removal, Stealth Rocks really hurt. Finally, Trick is to help lock in potential boosters and walls with scarf. Max speed and special attack so that Rotom can still have an offensive presence once the scarf is gone.

View attachment 466172

EVs: 72 HP / 252 Def / 184 Spe
Bold Nature
- Fiery Dance
- Bug Buzz
- Substitute
- Quiver Dance

This leads into Sub Volc. Volcarona is a beast if allowed to set up, a great special sweeper, really shining against Dark teams. Flame body is great for those potential burns, giving this team a great switch in on U-turns. I like Fiery Dance for the potential special attack boosts and obligatory fire STAB move. Bug Buzz for the STAB power and to tear through Psychic and Dark teams. Substitute is mostly to avoid Toxic and get a Quiver Dance off. Quiver Dance is a must on Volcarona, hitting 423 speed after one dance, out speeding Timid Dragapult. I slapped Heavy-Duty Booties on because of the 4x Stealth Rocks weakness and it is super stinky getting out sped by everything after a Sticky Web. The rest of the Evs into bulk so she can take a few hits, beef up the Substitutes a little bit, opponents will often go for strong physical attacks knowing Volcarona tends to be frail.

View attachment 466171

EVs: 176 HP / 96 Atk / 192 Def / 44 Spe
Impish Nature
- Knock Off
- Flare Blitz
- Close Combat
- U-turn

This is my Incineroar, I use him on a lot of teams. I find him very strong in Monotype due to his excellent coverage and momentum potential as he forces a lot of switches. He absolutely tears through Ghost teams. Knock Off and Flare Blitz, I feel like these are the best STAB moves available. Just be careful not to Knock Off the scarf you tricked onto your opponents mon. I have found Close Combat to be extremely useful to fill out the coverage, as after your opponents items have been removed, Knock Off loses its teeth. Close combat also helps against that pesky Normal team. U-turn is just too good, I prefer it over Parting Shot so I have access to Assault Vest, pushing Incineroar's bulk even further. Parting Shot is great and all, but Defiant can completely shift the momentum on a good prediction. No thanks. 44 Speed to out speed un-invested Scizor. HP and DEF tank one Adamant max attack Landorus Earthquake, this allows U-turn after Lando comes in and quakes. The rest into Attack so Knock Off OHKOs Dragapult.

View attachment 466170

Green Pepper (Volcanion) @ Choice Scarf
Timid Nature
- Steam Eruption
- Flamethrower
- Earth Power
- Sludge Wave

Volcanion is the best solution I've found to try and deal with Urshifu-Rapid-Strike Surging Strikes, a threat I feel all Fire teams must acknowledge. Water Absorb is really clutch in general on Fire teams, bringing hope of victory against Rain teams. Steam Eruption is the best move to click 90% of the time, it can be very difficult for opponents to switch in. Flamethrower instead of Fire Blast for the accuracy and help with PP stall. Earth Power for Heatran and Poison teams. Sludge Wave is eh and something I would like replace. I don't feel like I use it often enough to justify the slot, the only mons I like to sludge wave are Tapu Bulu and Tapu Koko, the latter being problematic due to speed issues. Choice scarf is my favorite item on Volcanion, it nets so many surprise KOs, most notably Landorus. Be wary of Tapu Koko, the bane of this set, as Koko out speeds and drops your health bar faster than panties at a Kenny Chesney concert.

View attachment 466169

Canadian Bacon (Cinderace) (M) @ Air Balloon
Jolly Nature
- Pyro Ball
- Sucker Punch
- Low Kick
- Bulk Up

The Ace in the hole. Being able to change your typing in a monotype battle meta is powerful. The mind game potential is titillating. Cinderace also hits a great speed tier, it's fast. Pyro Ball for the strong STAB. Sucker Punch for priority, after a Bulk Up Cinderace becomes very hard to revenge kill. I like Low Kick because it hits hard the things it needs too, and if Ditto happens to switch in on you and get your stat boost, you don't want to give him access to High Jump Kick. Bulk Up compensates for Cinderace underwhelming defenses and compliments his high speed, flex those Nerd muscles! Don't, I repeat, don't underestimate the value of Air Balloon. This is a critical play to make and one I'm obliged to mention. After Rotom is gone, this is your earth quake switch in. Do Not reveal the Air Balloon too early! This is perhaps one of the more difficult things to remember while learning to battle with this team.

View attachment 466167

Jolly Nature
- Bonemerang
- Shadow Bone
- Flare Blitz
- Flame Charge

Ahhh, my favorite. Alolan Marowak is the spice to this team and brings a lot to the table. Firstly, Normal and Electric immunities. Volcanion and Marowak are two peas in a pod, strong prediction plays are there to be made with those two. Regieleki is otherwise a big problem, Marowak solves that. Volt Switch in general is really hard to deal with, Marowak helps with all these things. After a flame charge Marowak hits 310 Speed, nothing to sniff at. Slowbro and Slowking go down to a Shadow Bone, Toxapex fears Bonemarang, Flare Blitz hits almost as hard as Darmanitan's Flare Blitz. In matches where Marowak looks weak, don't be afraid to lead and watch the work Jalapeno will puts in, its an uncommon mon and catches opponents off guard, they often expect a Swords Dance and when you flame Charge ---> Shadow Bone into a free KO, it feels yummy.
Hi, welcome to mono (its kinda the end of Gen 8 but we're glad to have you either way :blobnom:). Fire is actually one of the types which I admire the user if they actually do use it, as although it has a lot of good things going for it, its kinda prone to toppling over in case of any small misstep.

Anyway, onto the team. The first thing that comes to my mind is that the entire team can be outsped and OHKO'ed by the slowest "standard" Choice Scarf user, Excadrill (302 speed). It doesn't help either that Mold Breaker Excadrill bypasses Levitate, so in the off chance that Cinderace's Balloon is popped, its pretty much lights out. Another issue I have with this team is that there is your only counterplay to Toxapex is...Alolan Marowak, which isnt really that bad, but you definitely need more counterplay than that Imo, as Poison teams have Nidoking too which counters Marowak.

Mon Changes:
:rotom-heat: -> :moltres: or :heatran:
Moltres @ Heavy-Duty Boots
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SpD
Bold Nature
- Toxic / Mystical Fire / Air Slash / Scorching Sands
- U-turn / Toxic
- Roost
- Defog
Heatran @ Air Balloon
Ability: Flash Fire
Timid Nature
- Magma Storm
- Earth Power
- Flash Cannon / Stealth Rock
- Taunt

Moltres gives you a way to deal with Choice Band Earthquakes, and provides you with a sturdier Defog user than Rotom-H. On the other hand, Heatran provides you with a Dragon resist, another way to trap Toxapex, entry hazards, and Taunt (which denies entry hazards from being set) while also providing a one time immunity to Ground moves)

If you really want to be spicy though, and try to overcompress a Ground-type check, an Urshifu answer, and a cute bunny in one, you can use Victini instead
:victini:
Victini @ Shuca Berry
Ability: Victory Star
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Glaciate
- Bolt Strike
- V-create
- U-turn / Energy Ball
This lures and removes Landorus-T and Dragon Dance Dragonite with Glaciate, Bolt Strike deals with Urshifu R...yea, the only downside to this set is that someone else has to carry hazards and you need an Air Balloon somewhere, still. You'd also likely use HDB on Incineroar if you do this btw, or outright do away with it

Set changes:
:volcarona:
Ability: Flame Body / Swarm
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Quiver Dance
- Flamethrower / Roost
- Bug Buzz / Flamethrower / Roost
- Psychic
Without Roost, Volcarona can't take advantage of the bulk you gave it. Furthermore, without Psychic, it cannot break through Poison teams (Toxapex being the worst offender). The set I presented above lets Volcarona hit hard while having the longevity to use Galarian Slowking as setup Food. Swarm can be used in conjunction with Bug Buzz, improving your matchup against Dragon (this means not having Flamethrower, btw), but this worsens your matchup vs other types as Flame + Psychic is usually enough to hit a lot of types for neutral damage.

If you want to keep the bulky set, I think you need 4 more Speed EVs, allowing you to also outspeed Zeraora after a Quiver dance.

:incineroar:
EVs: 176 HP / 68 Atk / 192 Def / 72 SpD
Impish Nature
- Knock Off
- Flare Blitz
- Close Combat
- U-turn
68 Atk EVs are enough to remove Dragapult with Knock Off, allowing you to be a good check to it. Aside from that though, I think Incineroar should have more Special Defense if ever. You also dont need to outspeed Scizor, ass the rest of your team should be able to handle it, which leaves us with a lot of EVs to dump to HP (or Special Defense, if you want to as the reward for using AV favors Spdef over HP) instead. However, AV Incineraor kinda needs heavy Defog support, which I'll cover for later. If you dont want to use AV though, you can just use this set:
Incineroar @ Heavy-Duty Boots
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 SpD
Careful Nature
- Knock Off
- Toxic
- Taunt
- Parting Shot / U-turn

Toxic with Taunt lets Incineroar inconvenience annoyances like Mantine, Hippowdon, and Gastrodon for the team.

:volcanion:
Green Pepper (Volcanion) @ Heavy-Duty Boots / Air Balloon
EVs: 168 HP / 244 SpA / 96 Spe
Modest Nature
- Steam Eruption
- Flamethrower
- Sludge Bomb
- Defog
Scarf Volcanion isn't that bad, this set is just in case you didnt pick Moltres awhile ago. If you did pick Moltres, you can swap out Defog here for Toxic (annoys Mantine and a lot of other Pokemon) or Earth Power. 96 Speed lets you outspeed and bonk Azumarill before it wreaks havoc.

:cinderace:
Canadian Bacon (Cinderace) (M) @ Heavy-Duty Boots
Jolly Nature
- Pyro Ball / Zen Headbutt
- Sucker Punch
- Low Kick
- Bulk Up
I think HDB on Cindy would be a better pick, as this allows Cinderace to preserve HP to setup a sweep later. Zen Headbutt is a neat alternative, allowing Cinderace to greatly pressure Dragon and Poison teams alongside Volcarona, but this is up to you.

You can also try Choice Scarf Cinderace, but not being able to swap moves is kinda iffy

:marowak-alola:
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Shadow Bone
- Flare Blitz / Low Kick / Stealth Rock
- Flame Charge / Low Kick / Stealth Rock
I think Bonemerang is an iffy move considering that its 90% accurate at the cost of having the same BP as Earthquake, and there are no notable substitute users that are afraid of Ground moves. Reconsider Flame Charge or Flare Blitz though for Stealth Rock, Thunder Punch, or Low Kick (Low Kick being able to drop Hydreigon that can find Alowak to be a Free switch-in, Thunder Punch murks Pelipper), especially if you do not have Heatran.

and here are some of the teams borne from my ramblings, I hope I helped :blobnom:
:volcarona: :cinderace: :incineroar: :volcanion: :victini: :marowak-alola:
:volcarona: :cinderace: :incineroar: :volcanion: :moltres: :marowak-alola:
:volcarona: :cinderace: :heatran: :volcanion: :victini: :marowak-alola:

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)