Monotype Mono-Steel Trick Room

ScalchopFren

is my name really that hard to read?
is a Smogon Discord Contributor
Disclaimer: It's been a little while since my last teambuilding experience (and I wasn't amazing at it to begin with), so be gentle on ya boy.
Raw team data can be found here.

I had an idea for this team not too long ago, although it was born as an idea for Sword and Shield teambuilding rather than in USUM. The initial plan was to start with Melmetal (Double Iron Bash, anyone?), Magearna, and Stakataka, then build from there. Of course I had to divert from that path after I learned that Magearna is banned in Monotype, but I still think it could be a decent/fun strategy given how many slow Steel-types there are. I finished this draft of the team under an hour before starting this post, and I've only had 3 battles -- all on the lower end of the ladder, since I've barely played the meta -- so I don't have a "peaked at <insert ranking here>" thing for it yet. This is just to see what people think of it, and what pointers I could get. And obviously there won't be a Melmetal on this version, since it's unobtainable in USUM.

Liberty (Bronzong) @ Mental Herb
Ability: Heatproof
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 SpD
Sassy Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Trick Room
- Stealth Rock
- Gyro Ball
- Toxic
Move-wise, this Bronzong set is pretty standard for Trick Room. It's one of the room setters while also serving as a rocker to whittle away at things. Gyro Ball is a basic and effective move to run on it given the Trick Room aspect, and Toxic helps with further whittling. Mental Herb was put on here in case something tries to Taunt me (although I don't know how common that is in this meta), since I only have one attacking move and very little attack investment. I could just as easily replace it with Leftovers, but we'll see how things go. Full special bulk was Showdown's recommended spread, and it's probably ideal given how much Steel tends toward physical bulk. The only really standout thing about this set is Heatproof over Levitate; this was a conscious decision after realizing I had very little at my disposal for handling Fire-types. I don't expect to beat many Fire-type teams regardless, but I figured this would help me, especially since I have a different Ground immunity on the team.

pear (Ferrothorn) (M) @ Leftovers
Ability: Iron Barbs
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 Def
Relaxed Nature
- Leech Seed
- Protect
- Knock Off
- Gyro Ball
This was actually a later addition to the team, but I'm putting them down here in the order they're listed in the paste file. There also isn't a whole lot to say about this set, aside from the fact that it's a bit more help in dealing with the average Ground-type. High defense in conjunction with only taking neutral from Ground should help somewhat against the numerous EQ users out there. Leftovers is obviously there for steady health gaining, with Leech Seed + Protect to aid in that process and whittle targets down with help from hazards and status on Bronzong's end. Knock Off can be useful to cripple certain opponents as well as minimally-useful coverage for Psychic/Ghost. And I don't think I really need to explain running Gyro Ball on a Ferrothorn.

Briggs (Stakataka) @ Rockium Z
Ability: Beast Boost
EVs: 232 HP / 252 Atk / 24 SpD
Lonely Nature
IVs: 0 Def / 0 Spe
- Trick Room
- Gyro Ball
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge
If you're ever running mono-steel Trick Room, this mon is basically a given for that team. Not only does it learn Trick Room itself (for some reason), but high attack and abysmal speed make it one of the strongest Gyro Ball users out there, if not the strongest. Stakataka is basically "Gyro Ball: the Pokémon." It's also the only Steel-type besides Bronzong that learns Trick Room and has low enough speed to justify having it on the team (and that isn't banned). I wanted it to be more of a snowball than a tank, so I gave it minimum defense investment to have Beast Boost raise its attack instead. EQ is pretty good coverage in general, and Stone Edge takes care of coverage for its other STAB type, with Rockium Z to make it a nuke for things that resist Gyro Ball in case I need it.

Yuuto (Doublade) (M) @ Eviolite
Ability: No Guard
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 240 HP / 252 Atk / 16 SpD
Brave Nature
- Swords Dance
- Gyro Ball
- Sacred Sword
- Shadow Sneak
Yes, I'm aware I have a high saturation of Gyro Ball users on this team. Honestly, though, I don't think it's very impractical. Everything I have is lacking in the speed department anyway, so might as well give them a move that benefits from that. Another fairly standard set: SD + 3 attacks Doublade. This was put on the team just to make sure I didn't get 6-0'd by Fighting moves. Sacred Sword is useful for coverage especially against other Steel-types, and I went with Shadow Sneak over Shadow Claw in the event I need to revenge kill something when Trick Room isn't up.

bamboozle (Celesteela) @ Choice Specs
EVs: 252 HP / 248 SpA / 8 SpD
Quiet Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 0 Spe
- Air Slash
- Giga Drain
- Flamethrower
- Hidden Power [Ice]
This is probably the most "out there" set on the team. I doubt offensive Celesteela is very common in Monotype (let alone a Choice Specs set), but I felt like my team was a bit lacking in power on the special side, so here we are. Celesteela's Flying-type obviously gives me an immunity to Ground -- which would typically be a problem for mono-Steel -- and full HP investment helps to take some of their other attacks too. Like with Stakataka, the goal of this set is to become a powerhouse that snowballs quickly thanks to the almighty Beast Boost. Air Slash is basic STAB coverage, as well as the only special Flying move it gets; Giga Drain is a good option especially for problematic Water-types, and gives me a bit of HP back for my troubles; and Flamethrower is no-brainer coverage for other Steel-types like Ferrothorn. The last moveslot was originally occupied by Shock Wave (yes, I know), but I figured HP Ice might be more useful. I could very easily change it back, though; Shock Wave actually doesn't sound like terrible coverage. I didn't really think I needed Flash Cannon on this set, since I already have a full team with Steel coverage, and Specs Celesteela could probably hit most Steel-weak Pokémon pretty hard with the other moves anyway.

Ling Yao (Empoleon) (M) @ Iapapa Berry
Ability: Torrent
EVs: 252 HP / 8 Def / 4 SpA / 244 SpD
Sassy Nature
- Scald
- Toxic
- Ice Beam
- Roar
This was the final addition to the team, used as another "how do I not lose to Fire-types" idea. It's reasonably slow and decently bulky, and that Fire neutralization could easily come in handy for the rest of the team. Showdown initially suggested a physically defensive spread, but I decided to swap over to special defense after looking at how comparatively high the average physical bulk was for my team. Plus, I figured Scald's chance to burn would help me in the physical bulk department anyway. Ice Beam's slot was originally occupied by Flash Cannon, but I switched it just for extra coverage. Toxic is useful for whittling if I don't get a burn from Scald, and Roar helps to whittle even more if I have my rocks up, or if I need to clear out a mon that's setting up on me. As for the Iapapa Berry, I'm not entirely sure why I have that. I'm considering changing it to Leftovers, but having the clutch 50% gain could be useful in certain situations so I'm on the fence about it.

So that's all I've got. As I said, I'm still not the best teambuilder in the world, so any (CONSTRUCTIVE) criticism is welcomed here.

Attachments

Aye, TR Steel is something some friends and I have been doing for about 2 years now. I like a lot of your ideas, but allow me to share our cumulative knowledge. One guy I know even hit top 30 with this.

Bottles (Excadrill) @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Mold Breaker
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Iron Head
- Rock Slide
- Toxic

I know. Scarf. But it helps end the Fire matchup, as well as other Steel, and even some other types like Electric. Toxic is for the likes of P2, Hippo, Mandi, Zap, Jellicent, stuff he'd have trouble breaking otherwise. I skipped Rapid Spin because let's face it, Rocks and T Spikes are next to useless, and Web helps most of the team.

Lil Anthony (Jirachi) @ Leftovers
Ability: Serene Grace
EVs: 252 HP / 148 SpD / 108 Spe
Careful Nature
- Healing Wish
- U-turn
- Heart Stamp
- Trick Room

My pride and joy. Sets TR while eating special hits, and can even take another so he can U-Turn AFTER the opponent attacks so your sweepers can come in scott-free. I'm also addicted to the rush of Healing Wish when your opponent thinks they've won. Lol The specific Speed EVs are for Breloom.

John Wick (Scizor-Mega) @ Scizorite
Ability: Technician
EVs: 248 HP / 128 Def / 132 Spe
Impish Nature
- Knock Off
- Bullet Punch
- Roost
- Swords Dance

Trust me, I tried to make Doublade work. I really did. But so many Fighting mons carry Knock Off, you're really better of with Scizor. Tbh you could even run Curse. Sciz is a huge help vs Fighting. Also the EVs are so you can outspeed Azu outside TR.

Big Maggie (Heatran) @ Air Balloon
Ability: Flash Fire
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 SpD
Quiet Nature
- Magma Storm
- Earth Power
- Stone Edge
- Stealth Rock

Always nice to have around. I believe the set is actually quite self explanatory. I usually use this as my lead, but sometimes Jirachi is better.

Sierra's Husbando (Stakataka) @ Rockium Z
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD
Lonely Nature
IVs: 15 Def / 0 Spe
- Stone Edge
- Gyro Ball
- Trick Room
- Earthquake

You know.

JetFuelCan'tMeltMe (Celesteela) @ Assault Vest
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpA / 4 SpD
Quiet Nature
- Flash Cannon
- Air Slash
- Fire Blast
- Giga Drain

Close to yours, but not quite. I like the idea of Specs, tbh. This does work really well, though. With some practice, Ground and some Water teams are actually easy because of this thing.

Alright, so there's my 2 cents. I've been trying to make TR Steel popular for 2 years. Lol let's hope you can give us the push we need! GLHF

Disclaimer: It's been a little while since my last teambuilding experience (and I wasn't amazing at it to begin with), so be gentle on ya boy.
Raw team data can be found here.

I had an idea for this team not too long ago, although it was born as an idea for Sword and Shield teambuilding rather than in USUM. The initial plan was to start with Melmetal (Double Iron Bash, anyone?), Magearna, and Stakataka, then build from there. Of course I had to divert from that path after I learned that Magearna is banned in Monotype, but I still think it could be a decent/fun strategy given how many slow Steel-types there are. I finished this draft of the team under an hour before starting this post, and I've only had 3 battles -- all on the lower end of the ladder, since I've barely played the meta -- so I don't have a "peaked at <insert ranking here>" thing for it yet. This is just to see what people think of it, and what pointers I could get. And obviously there won't be a Melmetal on this version, since it's unobtainable in USUM.

View attachment 179179
Liberty (Bronzong) @ Mental Herb
Ability: Heatproof
Sassy Nature
- Trick Room
- Stealth Rock
- Gyro Ball
- Toxic
Move-wise, this Bronzong set is pretty standard for Trick Room. It's one of the room setters while also serving as a rocker to whittle away at things. Gyro Ball is a basic and effective move to run on it given the Trick Room aspect, and Toxic helps with further whittling. Mental Herb was put on here in case something tries to Taunt me (although I don't know how common that is in this meta), since I only have one attacking move and very little attack investment. I could just as easily replace it with Leftovers, but we'll see how things go. Full special bulk was Showdown's recommended spread, and it's probably ideal given how much Steel tends toward physical bulk. The only really standout thing about this set is Heatproof over Levitate; this was a conscious decision after realizing I had very little at my disposal for handling Fire-types. I don't expect to beat many Fire-type teams regardless, but I figured this would help me, especially since I have a different Ground immunity on the team.

View attachment 179177
pear (Ferrothorn) (M) @ Leftovers
Ability: Iron Barbs
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 Def
Relaxed Nature
- Leech Seed
- Protect
- Knock Off
- Gyro Ball
This was actually a later addition to the team, but I'm putting them down here in the order they're listed in the paste file. There also isn't a whole lot to say about this set, aside from the fact that it's a bit more help in dealing with the average Ground-type. High defense in conjunction with only taking neutral from Ground should help somewhat against the numerous EQ users out there. Leftovers is obviously there for steady health gaining, with Leech Seed + Protect to aid in that process and whittle targets down with help from hazards and status on Bronzong's end. Knock Off can be useful to cripple certain opponents as well as minimally-useful coverage for Psychic/Ghost. And I don't think I really need to explain running Gyro Ball on a Ferrothorn.

View attachment 179178
Briggs (Stakataka) @ Rockium Z
EVs: 232 HP / 252 Atk / 24 SpD
Lonely Nature
IVs: 0 Def / 0 Spe
- Trick Room
- Gyro Ball
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge
If you're ever running mono-steel Trick Room, this mon is basically a given for that team. Not only does it learn Trick Room itself (for some reason), but high attack and abysmal speed make it one of the strongest Gyro Ball users out there, if not the strongest. Stakataka is basically "Gyro Ball: the Pokémon." It's also the only Steel-type besides Bronzong that learns Trick Room and has low enough speed to justify having it on the team (and that isn't banned). I wanted it to be more of a snowball than a tank, so I gave it minimum defense investment to have Beast Boost raise its attack instead. EQ is pretty good coverage in general, and Stone Edge takes care of coverage for its other STAB type, with Rockium Z to make it a nuke for things that resist Gyro Ball in case I need it.

View attachment 179181
Yuuto (Doublade) (M) @ Eviolite
Ability: No Guard
EVs: 240 HP / 252 Atk / 16 SpD
Brave Nature
- Swords Dance
- Gyro Ball
- Sacred Sword
- Shadow Sneak
Yes, I'm aware I have a high saturation of Gyro Ball users on this team. Honestly, though, I don't think it's very impractical. Everything I have is lacking in the speed department anyway, so might as well give them a move that benefits from that. Another fairly standard set: SD + 3 attacks Doublade. This was put on the team just to make sure I didn't get 6-0'd by Fighting moves. Sacred Sword is useful for coverage especially against other Steel-types, and I went with Shadow Sneak over Shadow Claw in the event I need to revenge kill something when Trick Room isn't up.

View attachment 179182
bamboozle (Celesteela) @ Choice Specs
EVs: 252 HP / 248 SpA / 8 SpD
Quiet Nature
- Air Slash
- Giga Drain
- Flamethrower
- Hidden Power [Ice]
This is probably the most "out there" set on the team. I doubt offensive Celesteela is very common in Monotype (let alone a Choice Specs set), but I felt like my team was a bit lacking in power on the special side, so here we are. Celesteela's Flying-type obviously gives me an immunity to Ground -- which would typically be a problem for mono-Steel -- and full HP investment helps to take some of their other attacks too. Like with Stakataka, the goal of this set is to become a powerhouse that snowballs quickly thanks to the almighty Beast Boost. Air Slash is basic STAB coverage, as well as the only special Flying move it gets; Giga Drain is a good option especially for problematic Water-types, and gives me a bit of HP back for my troubles; and Flamethrower is no-brainer coverage for other Steel-types like Ferrothorn. The last moveslot was originally occupied by Shock Wave (yes, I know), but I figured HP Ice might be more useful. I could very easily change it back, though; Shock Wave actually doesn't sound like terrible coverage. I didn't really think I needed Flash Cannon on this set, since I already have a full team with Steel coverage, and Specs Celesteela could probably hit most Steel-weak Pokémon pretty hard with the other moves anyway.

View attachment 179183
Ling Yao (Empoleon) (M) @ Iapapa Berry
Ability: Torrent
EVs: 252 HP / 8 Def / 4 SpA / 244 SpD
Sassy Nature
- Scald
- Toxic
- Ice Beam
- Roar
This was the final addition to the team, used as another "how do I not lose to Fire-types" idea. It's reasonably slow and decently bulky, and that Fire neutralization could easily come in handy for the rest of the team. Showdown initially suggested a physically defensive spread, but I decided to swap over to special defense after looking at how comparatively high the average physical bulk was for my team. Plus, I figured Scald's chance to burn would help me in the physical bulk department anyway. Ice Beam's slot was originally occupied by Flash Cannon, but I switched it just for extra coverage. Toxic is useful for whittling if I don't get a burn from Scald, and Roar helps to whittle even more if I have my rocks up, or if I need to clear out a mon that's setting up on me. As for the Iapapa Berry, I'm not entirely sure why I have that. I'm considering changing it to Leftovers, but having the clutch 50% gain could be useful in certain situations so I'm on the fence about it.

So that's all I've got. As I said, I'm still not the best teambuilder in the world, so any (CONSTRUCTIVE) criticism is welcomed here.
As for rating your team, I do like a lot of your ideas. Specially bulky Bronzong is a good choice, as you have Staka to set TR in front of physical foes. Personally, I don't like using Bronzong, but others do, so I'm not going to talk you out of using it. I WILL try to talk you into Explosion, though, as it's actually quite useful. May want another setter if you do that, though. I'd actually replace Ferro with Jirachi. Ferro is good, but TR just doesn't need it. Not when you have Celesteela and Empoleon. I'm just gonna not really talk about Staka, as there is basically one way to use it, and it's the way you're using. As for Doublade, it's really not as good as you'd expect. Yeah, the type is nice defensively, until they Knock Off your Eviolite, or use special attacks. Honestly, go for Sciz. Your Celesteela ain't bad. I even know a guy who uses Shock Wave to good effect, though I personally find it unnecessary. Also consider the item Metronome. It's... Iffy, I know, but using the same move repeatedly is something you're already expecting to do, so a little more freedom may be nice. Empoleon actually is quite nice, if not a bit redundant with Celes, but your hazard phasing set kind of avoids that issue. I like Scarf Exca to deal with Fire, but Emp is not bad. In fact, Celes's immunity is literally the only reason I don't use Emp. Now, the only other thing I'd suggest is that Heatran is basically the single most important pokemon on Steel. It beats Fire and other Steels quite well. You should definitely look for a spot for it. As much as it pains me to say, you may be best replacing Emp with it just because their roles are so similar.

So yeah, my judgement (for what it's worth) is that you have some good ideas here, but TR is a strange beast. You may not need to do a lot of restructuring, but at least a little would go a long way.

maroon

free palestine
is a Site Content Manageris a Top Team Rateris a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnus
RMT & Mono Leader
Introduction
Hey interesting team ScalchopFren, TR Steel is definetly a not used archetype in the meta and definetly this is an interesting attempt at it. However, the main suggestions I will be making turn this team fully offensive as this part defensive core really takes away from the whole Trick Room concept which at its core is meant to be Hyper Offensive. This rate will be building off of what It's Madness had to say, by suggesting different changes while building off some suggestions they made, tweaking more sets, correcting the sets, and giving some more explanation to them. I will make pokemon changes to two team slots and then tweak some sets to make this team somewhat more viable, though understand Trick Room Steel will never be successful.

Major Changes
Heatran>Empoleon
>

You definetly were on the right track trying to add a Fire answer to the team, however, defensive Empoleon 100% is not the answer here. One it isn't really that great of a Fire-type check and secondly, Heatran provides an actual Fire immunity, making it mandatory on every single viable Steel team. Heatran is also a pretty great Pokemon for Trick Room steel as it can fully take advantage of it with its lower speed and strong attack stat. The Air Balloon on this new set allow it to not be dead weight against other Steel teams and its EVs take advantage of Trick Room by maximizing its bulk and Special Attack, at the cost of its Speed.
Heatran @ Air Balloon
Ability: Flash Fire
Quiet Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Stealth Rock
- Fire Blast
- Earth Power
- Hidden Power [Ice]

Mega Scizor>Doublade
>

Mega Scizor is another staple pick on Steel teams even making its team on Trick Room teams. The set basically allows Mega Scizor to be successful outside of Trick Room, it allows Mega Scizor to outpace such threats as Adamant Azumarill, which can very much threaten this team is played right. The Speed also allows it to take on Tyranitar and Porygon2 outside of Trick Room with Superpower, which can be frustrating to break past for the type. The Speed is fine on this Pokemon because in Trick Room it will primarily be using Swords Dance and Bullet Punch, which should go first even inside Trick Room, due to it being priority. Knock Off also allows Scizor to take on Bulky Psychic-type Pokemon such as Mew and Slowbro, while crippling offensive and defensive foes alike, by removing their held item.
Scizor-Mega @ Scizorite
Ability: Technician
EVs: 200 HP / 252 Atk / 56 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Bullet Punch
- Knock Off
- Superpower

Excadrill>Ferrothorn
>

As It's Madness said Choice Scarf Excadrill is a great form of Speed Control outside of Trick Room and can act as a win-condition against Electric, Poison, and Steel teams. Rapid Spin allows Excadrill to clear hazards such as Spikes and Stealth Rock, though this does not matter as much to this team so another option is to run Toxic, crippling walls allowing the teams breakers to more easily muscle past them. Rock Slide allows Excadrill to take on threats such as non-boosted Volcarona and Mega Charizard Y. Iron Head is just a good obligatory STAB attack.
Excadrill @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Sand Rush
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Iron Head
- Rock Slide
- Rapid Spin / Toxic

Minor Changes
Bronzong

This Bronzong set is better for Trick Room, as it allows Stakataka and Mega Scizor to more easily setup thanks to it providing Dual Screen support. The reason I decided to not use Stealth Rock on this is because Heatran can use that and it frees up Bronzong to use Explosion, which can allow it to not be deadweight against Taunt users such as Gliscor, and costing the team momentum. Overall, this Bronzong can act as a lead and boom on anything that tries to prevent it from doing its job, picking up momentum for the hyper offensive trick room team.
Bronzong @ Light Clay
Ability: Levitate
Sassy Nature
- Explosion
- Light Screen
- Reflect
- Trick Room

Celesteela

Assault Vest Celesteela was my replacement to Choice Specs, as it is the teams best check to Ground teams, it can take on Landorus with Gravity thanks to HP Ice then proceed to switch out, while regaining its health against Water and Ground teams with Giga Drain. Flamethrower allows it to hit Pokemon such as Mega Scizor and Ferrothorn, while Air Slash is good stab that allows it to take on Fighting-type Pokemon such as Kommo-o. Overall this is better than Choice Specs because it has the ability to switch between attacks and can act as a special tank for the team, while AV Celesteela is not exactly common in Monotype anymore it fits pretty nicely on this team.
Celesteela @ Assault Vest
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Giga Drain
- Flamethrower
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Air Slash

Conclusion

{Team Importable found by hovering over the sprites and clicking on them}
Overall Trick Room Steel is an unexplored and interesting idea in the Monotype metagame, these changes should help your team be more viable in the current metagame, though still won't find much success due to the nature of the archetype. Remember in the future when building Trick Room teams that they are suppose to be Hyper Offensive, at least in Monotype. Anyway, good luck with the team and hope you enjoy playing with the team after my tweak. If you have any questions let me know, I'm maroon on PS! and maroon#9782 on discord and wouldn't mind answering any potential questions, comments, or concerns!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)