Gen 1 Mono Bug

I made this team to the playthrough of Pokémon Red (gen1), I used codes to have all bugs pokemons as Pinsir with Rock Throw (who is just avaiable in Tradebacks tier) and a Scyther with Wing Attack (which it just learn at Lv. 50 on Yellow).

Venomoth

- Mega Drain
- Psychic
- Sleep Powder
- Leech Life
On begining Venonat just had Tackle and Disable, but I used cheats to also teach Confusion and Mega Drain, since Confusion it can learns on Yellow and Mega Drain it's a TM. As Venonat it is used too much in caves, since it's deal well with Zubat (with Confusion) and rock types as Geodude (with MegaDrain).
I decided to keep Leech Life over a possible toxic for example,first because there is no Sleep Clause, so I canput all the foe team to sleep, there is no pokémon with Insonia in gen1,so I run my team to put the foe to sleep often. SO no need for poison powder/stun spore/toxic. Just Sleep Powder, so it's open a run to a Leech Life.

Pinsir

- Submission
- Slash
- Rock Throw
- Guillotine
Pinsir I gave him since begining Submission and Rock Throw, Submission is a TM who just appear in the end of Victory Road and Rock Throw it was a prize of New York Pokemon Center who is acctually just avaible nowadays with cheats. But I run mostly with Vice-Grip untill it's learn Slash.
And to defeated the Blaine, I need to run out on the strategy of using X-Accuracy + Guilotine.

Scyther

- Slash
- Swords Dance
- Wing Attack
- Quick Attack
Scyther I gave the awfull move Wing Attack who just have 35 bp on gen1. But it's a stab move and helped against other insects. But now the game is over I'm thinking in replace it for Double Team and have a way different to defeat the Charizard of Rival.
By the way, I would like to know how atk boost is calculated whent it's hit a Critical Hit, because against Lance I run out 3 Sworddance and gave a Critical Hit-Slash on Dragonite and he just took a third of his life.

Butterfree

- Psybeam
- Mega Drain
- Sleep Powder
- Poison Powder
Very similar to Venonat in playthrough, the only difference it have the Poison Powder, who I just use when I want to catch very weak pokémons, who can't receive any atk will faint, so I gave cheap damage with Poison Powder while throw pokéballs.

Beedrill

- Agility
- Twineedle
- Fury Attack
- Poison Sting
By far, the most usefull pokémon of the team, because despite being a monobug, it's the only pokémon who can learn a bug move, Twineedle, who also have the chance of poison. I would teach other moves in the place of Fury Attack or Poison Sting, but it was moves it learn by level... I would change they for Sword Dance and Hyper Beam to make it more competitive.

Parasect

- Spore
- Mega Drain
- Dig
- Leech Life
Despite 4x weakness to Fire, Flying and Poison (on gen1), it's a important pokémon to the run. The only one to learn Spore, the only a 100% acc sleep move and also the only one of the team who can learn Dig, who were my stable pokémon to defeat eletric pokémons, as St. Surge gym.

Cdijk16

Cdijk21 on PS!
is a Pre-Contributor
It's generally not a good idea to use your in game teams for competitive play if you goal is to win as most in-game teams are not optimized for competitive play. They usually require most of their pokemon to be swapped out to become viable. You would be better off if you built a new team from scratch for competitive play usually.

It's generally not a good idea to use your in game teams for competitive play if you goal is to win as most in-game teams are not optimized for competitive play. They usually require most of their pokemon to be swapped out to become viable. You would be better off if you built a new team from scratch for competitive play usually.
I tryied a lot use a mono bug in OU ladder, but it's very unviable.
The only battle I won was against a friend who also used a monotype: https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen1ou-1805836431-arz0fpsp63vrflcdaj8ligimia5uj2vpw

I used a different team in ladder:

Venomoth

- Sleep Powder
- Psychic
- Mega Drain
- Stun Spore

Scyther

- Swords Dance
- Slash
- Hyper Beam
- Agility

Pinsir

- Hyper Beam
- Submission
- Slash
- Swords Dance

Parasect

- Spore
- Mega Drain
- Slash
- Stun Spore

Beedrill

- Twineedle
- Swords Dance
- Agility
- Hyper Beam

Butterfree

- Psychic
- Mega Drain
- Sleep Powder
- Stun Spore

I tryied a lot use a mono bug in OU ladder, but it's very unviable.
The only battle I won was against a friend who also used a monotype: https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen1ou-1805836431-arz0fpsp63vrflcdaj8ligimia5uj2vpw

I used a different team in ladder:

Venomoth

- Sleep Powder
- Psychic
- Mega Drain
- Stun Spore

Scyther

- Swords Dance
- Slash
- Hyper Beam
- Agility

Pinsir

- Hyper Beam
- Submission
- Slash
- Swords Dance

Parasect

- Spore
- Mega Drain
- Slash
- Stun Spore

Beedrill

- Twineedle
- Swords Dance
- Agility
- Hyper Beam

Butterfree

- Psychic
- Mega Drain
- Sleep Powder
- Stun Spore
If you were to pick a bug type Pokèmon in this team to build a semi usable competitive team around I can (Pinsir is BY FAR the best one here)

If you were to pick a bug type Pokèmon in this team to build a semi usable competitive team around I can (Pinsir is BY FAR the best one here)
Once I played at a draft of Gen1 OU and I pick two bugs, Pinsir and Beedrill.
And I guess Beedrill was also very usefull, mostly because other players don't know Poison is weak to bug in gen1 (and pokémons poison/grass are 4x weak to bug)

Here is a Pinsir team then

:rg/Alakazam:
-Psychic
-Seismic Toss
-Thunder Wave
-Recover
:rg/Starmie:
-Surf
-Thunderbolt
-Thunder Wave
-Recover
:rg/Chansey:
-Seismic Toss
-Soft-Boiled
-Sing
-Thunder Wave
:rg/Snorlax:
-Body Slam
-Earthquake
-Self-Destruct
-Rest
:rg/Tauros:
-Body Slam
-Hyper Beam
-Blizzard
-Earthquake
:rg/pinsir:
-Slash
-Submission
-Hyper Beam
-Swords Dance

Pinsir is setting up mostly vs Snorlax using Rest. Slash does around 30% to Snorlax, which forces it to use Rest again, and gives turns for setup. Fast Psychic types should be paralysed beforehand to put Pinsir into a sweeping position.

Last edited:

Cdijk16

Cdijk21 on PS!
is a Pre-Contributor
Once I played at a draft of Gen1 OU and I pick two bugs, Pinsir and Beedrill.
And I guess Beedrill was also very usefull, mostly because other players don't know Poison is weak to bug in gen1 (and pokémons poison/grass are 4x weak to bug)
Beedril, Butterfree, Scyther, Venomoth and Parasect are more or less unviable in Gen 1 OU. It's not a good idea to use in game teams for competitive. I'd suggest building a new team from scratch or borrowing a team from ROA samples if you want to play Gen 1 OU seriously. If you want to use Pinsir, the team NotVeryCake posted above is good too.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)