Gen 7 MONKI FLIP

Eve

Bzzt!
is a Site Content Manageris a Social Media Contributoris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Contributor to Smogon
Community Leader
Hi. I wanted to do something special for my 1000th post, so I'm gracing this website with the single best team in my main metagame, LGPE OU. This team is the pinnacle of Hyper Offense. So, without further ado,

WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO MONKI FLIP YEAHH

The Process
Primeape.gifBeedrill_Mega.gif
The most powerful offensive core ever. Beedrill's best check, Melmetal, is weak to Low Kick, and Primeape's best check, Mew, is weak to U-turn. Pair these two together and opponents will have no choice but to instantly forfeit.
Primeape.gifBeedrill_Mega.gifNidoqueen.gif
Zapdos looked kinda annoying for these two and I had a feeling I wouldn't want Rocks Mew later so I threw Nidoqueen on. Super Fanging stuff into range of the U-turn core is neat too. Bit of a momentum sap but it's Nidoqueen so it'll work anyway, dumb mon
Zapdos.gif

This team needs more momentum. Zapdos provides that and can also check stuff like Mega Gyarados and Melmetal decently with Reflect. Pressuring Melmetal even more is cool too, we love damage for endgame bee sweeps

Zapdos.gif
Mew.gif
Melmetal.gif

It's an LGPE OU team so I added Mew and Melmetal. I wanted more safe opportunities to get Primeape on the field, so a Teleport Mew seemed pretty cool here. Really I ran out of ideas after the initial 2 mon core and just went on autopilot but it works lol

The Team
Primeape.gif
MONKI FLIP (Primeape)
Level: 50
Jolly Nature
- Low Kick
- Ice Punch
- Earthquake
- U-turn
What a funky monkey. He Low Kicks Melmetal, Ice Punches the Flying-types, Earthquakes pretty much anything else and U-turns as Mew switches in. Simple but... effective? Maybe. You could drop Ice Punch for Toxic, but you'd rather just U-turn or Ice Punch on most of the targets of that anyway. Jolly Nature is preferred for getting the jump on non-Speed boosting Nature Mew, Zapdos and ZardX, but Adamant works pretty well too. Try not to get hit or Primeape will drop dead pretty quickly, just pivot around annoyingly. If you're only interested in non-standard sets you can just skip to Mew now lol

Beedrill_Mega.gif
Beedrill-Mega @ Beedrillite
Adamant Nature
IVs: 29 HP
- U-turn
- Poison Jab
- Drill Run
- Roost
Mega Beedrill is a permanent fixture on any Primeape team. Their offensive synergy is unironically really awesome even if it's slightly let down by Primeape's atrocious stats. This is a really standard Beedrill- it'll spend most of its time spamming U-turn, with Poison Jab stinging Clefable and Zapdos and Drill Run ramming weakened Melmetal, Nidoqueen, and unviable mon Rhydon. Roost can be used to exploit switches and lets Beedrill switch in a whole TWO more times before being murdered by pebbles.

Nidoqueen.gif
Nidoqueen (F)
Careful Nature
- Earthquake
- Super Fang
- Toxic
- Stealth Rock
Nidoqueen is here to do what it always does in LGPE- set Rocks up reliably and then be annoying to Zapdos. Earthquake + Super Fang provides solid offense against anything without recovery, Toxic covers the things with recovery, and Stealth Rock are the reason this Pokemon isn't an Alolan Dugtrio (that Pokemon is an awful rocker). Wears stuff down and checks stuff I'd struggle with otherwise, good job Nidoqueen. She's got a Careful Nature because this team, like every other team, gets annihilated by Gengar and the bit of extra Sp.Def helps with consistently checking it.

Zapdos.gif

Zapdos
Bold Nature
IVs: 29 Spe
- Thunderbolt
- Reflect
- Roost
- U-turn
Zapdos provides even more pivoting action and vital defensive utility with Reflect, holding off extremely strong physical attackers like Melmetal and Mega Gyarados and supporting its team in tanking hits from many others. This set opts for a Bold Nature to handle said threats better, and 29 Speed IVs to try and get a slow U-turn versus the likes of opposing Mew and Zapdos- if they U-turn or hard switch out you can cover their switch with your own, and if they do anything else you can go into Beedrill or Nidoqueen. Not being able to move before these Pokemon and Mega Charizard X can have its downsides but safe switchins for fragile or exploitable Pokemon is really useful here.

Mew.gif
Mew
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Scald
- Thunder Wave
- Roost
- Teleport
I present to you the birth of modern Teleport. The only other decent user of the move is Chansey which is absolutely awful in LGPE because there's no EVs. This Mew is designed to be really annoying and also get Primeape and Beedrill onto the field safely as both are made of tissue paper. Thunder Wave can help support the team vs scary mons like Mega Aerodactyl and Mega Alakazam and also makes opposing Timid Mew faster than Primeape, and Scald is a decent mono-attack that puts pressure on a variety of physical mons while also threatening Grounds that want to rush to set up Stealth Rock vs your Beedrill team. A very enjoyable set. The Nature is flexible- Bold and Calm work nicely- but being able to heal up vs other Mew and Zapdos can be a gamechanger.

Melmetal.gif

Melmetal
Adamant Nature
- Double Iron Bash
- Ice Punch
- Earthquake
- Toxic / Thunder Wave
Melmetal is Melmetal, it checks really strong Pokemon like Mega Alakazam and Mega Aerodactyl and does a lot of damage. Earthquake and Ice Punch is a staple on this Pokemon and gives it perfect unresisted coverage. The status slot is best when your opponent doesn't know which one you have, but Toxic is preferred so this team has a semblance of a chance against Bulk Up Mew. Be really careful with Melmetal's health if you're facing Mega Alakazam because this team really doesn't have anything else at all to take it on.

The Threats
Mew.gif
@ Bulk Up
Bulk Up Mew (BU Facade EQ Roost) can kinda just sweep this team if you don't land a Toxic on it. There's some hope if you get good paralysis luck but it's still not really ideal.

Cloyster.gif
If it gets to set up against Nidoqueen or Beedrill and your Mew and Melmetal are chipped, Hydro Pump variants of Cloyster will just murder you on the spot (assuming they hit). Surf variants probably won't just sweep you but they'll leave a massive hole for Cloyster's #1 teammate, that being...

Alakazam_Mega.gif
Mega Alakazam. It kinda just clicks Psychic, and when your weakened Mew comes in on that Psychic it clicks Shadow Ball and then you're boned. Melmetal is your only salvation and is not a good switchin so uhhhhhhhhhhhhh don't use this team against Zam

Zapdos.gif
@ Sub Sky Attack
I am the only human being to have ever used this set (TBolt Sky Attack Sub Roost) but it's good and it dumpsters this team. For reference Sky Attack is 200BP in LGPE because you can't skip the charge-up turn so literally nothing wants to take it. Zapdos can sub freely vs Nidoqueen which usually counters it and then scare everyone, especially if your own Zap/Mew is Toxic poisoned. You should be fine against any other Zapdos though, and at least this one isn't as good at handling your U-turn core as Reflect Zapdos.

Gengar.gif
Do you have an Alolan Muk on your team? If not, you're probably a bit weak to Gengar. This team at least has Nidoqueen, but otherwise your best option is using Melmetal. As Gengar loves to be paired with Mega Alakazam it should be kinda obvious why that's an issue.

Here's the importable.
No I don't have any cool replays of this team in action, I just think it's fun and needed something to excuse the rest of this post. Monki do be flippin doe ngl

The 1k Post Part
It's been nearly 4 and a half years since I joined this site and it's been an interesting ride through irrelevancy, from Pet Mods, to ZU, to suddenly being an unbadged user running the formats for an entire game, with some dabbling in UU, Ubers, and PU here and there and even a venture into the realm of art with my Substitute thread. I'm glad I've found my corner of the internet with LGPE- the community is small but I absolutely adore it, and the formats themselves are refreshingly simple while still having room for exploration and creativity. While my enjoyment of the rest of Smogon has fluctuated massively over the years, my dedication to LGPE has stayed consistent and I don't plan on leaving it any time soon. We haven't even dipped into lower tiers yet!

Speaking of the rest of Smogon, there are some people I want to say thanks to. I'm a pretty socially awkward person and can struggle with keeping up conversations so I feel like a lot of people don't know how much I appreciate them, hopefully this helps a little.

Lilburr Collette
I have talked to you two so much more than anyone else in this community, it isn't even close. You're both great friends and idk where I'd be without you. Thanks for putting up with my ramblings and hyperfixations on irrelevant metagames and even showing enthusiasm for the things I enjoy. Thanks for listening to my venting, thanks for caring, thanks for working with my shortcomings, thanks for just... being there. I can't say enough. <3

The Rats (you know who you are)
Congrats on being the only mons jerk I talk in! Seriously though, you're all great people and having a place to just vibe is great. Keep being awesome :3

A few more individual shoutouts for long-time friends:
ausma : Almost put you with the rats but nah you get your own section because you deserve it. You've been so supportive of me and you're just generally a lovely person (and also an AMAZING artist and QCer). Be nicer to yourself istg I will FIGHT you
Lumari: I'm glad you reached out to me, you're a pleasure to talk to and our massive convos have been some of the most interesting ones I've had in my entire time on the site. Also thanks for the puzzles and help with LGPE C&C, it's all really really really appreciated!
McCoolDude juoean: Thanks to you two in particular for being absolute pillars of the LGPE community and delights to talk to! It's nice that other people have passion for the meta, even after such a long period of inactivity. ❀
Yung Dramps: This guy right here has been playing my dumb metagames since day 1 and given me a whole lotta roflmaos along the way. Underrated user and great friend. Miss seeing you in Policy Review ;-;

I don't wanna leave anyone out but don't wanna make this 5 pages long either so here's a list of really cool people I've enjoyed talking to during my time in the community! Sorry for ghosting a few of you, if you reach out again in the future I'll try to be better :< hope you're all doing well regardless
A Cake Wearing A Hat Aawin rumia Aliss Bandkrook DraconicLepus Estarossa Evelyie faded love Fantos13 Fiend kjdaas KmjNext Kris Laurenbee cleffa London13 Milkshook Paraplegic Peary Plague von Karma SCBLOL26 Specs
Sorry if you're someone I talk to that I forgot to tag, yell at me and I'll fix it!!
EDIT: WRONG FADED OOPS

That about wraps up this post, hope you found the team interesting or something idk! Uhhhh drop a MONKI FLIP on my profile if you made it this far cya​

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)