SS OU Modest Hex Specs Tech (peak 1800s)

Hey

This team has been working nicely for me, I watched Soulwind vs. ImRaptor in the semifinals of OLT and saw a Hex Dragapult and got inspired. This team uses a pretty standard Pex/Lando/Clef core with some breaking power provided by Adamant Weavile + Melmetal.
You're never going to have a team that wins every matchup, but this one feels consistent and uses those +attack nature breakers which is fun.

I recommend you throw some music on, get in the zone, and ladder up with this team. Up and coming edm artist Fred Again just released a new album called Actual Life 3. Listen to it as you play for enhanced results.

I broke into the 1800s pretty nicely with this team. Most games around 30-40 turns long.

Also you should download the ShowDex Damage Calc plugin for your browser. Makes calcing way easier and is sick. Someone posted about it on Smogon forums.

~Enjoy~

:Melmetal: :Dragapult: :Weavile: :Toxapex: :Landorus-Therian: :Clefable:

Team: https://pokepast.es/e91a4513bca88c40

-------------------------------------------------------

:Melmetal:

Melmetal @ Leftovers
Ability: Iron Fist
EVs: 252 Atk / 240 SpD / 16 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Protect
- Double Iron Bash
- Earthquake
- Toxic

Melmetal wasn't banned, so let's use it. This team likes the support of Toxic and i think the longevity of the protect+lefties set shines most in the meta. I have added a little more speed than the smogon suggest spread to try and creep on other Melmetal. Dont hesitate to click toxic on the obvious slowbro/zapdos switch. Always use the protect button to gain back lefties. Also you can cheese matchups with the insane damage + flinch combo of DI Bash. haha

Some teams will rely on PP-stalling Bash, dont figure that out too late. Wasting a bash (2x with pressure) on a defensive corviknight is a big deal.

:Dragapult:

Dragapult @ Choice Specs
Ability: Infiltrator
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Hex
- Shadow Ball
- Draco Meteor
- Flamethrower

This is one of my 2 breakers. notice that i am running Modest nature, you can switch to Timid if you want but i really appreciate the added power. You really only lose the speed against Torn, but i think that's an okay sacrifice. You still outspeed non-scarf Blaceph/Kart, but dont lose the entire team scouting to make sure those 2 are not scarfed lol.
Hex is here to really punish fat switchins that sometimes dont care about status (ie. toxic Celf, burnt Hippo). Sometimes it is ok to Toxic an incoming Magic Guard Clef just so Hex does hella damage on a later turn.

The spammability of Shadow Ball/Hex is key. This poke is used to just bother typical switch ins and spread out damage.

Every few games or so you just win bc you get a lucky Sp Def drop and the opposing team just falls apart. TBH i think game freak should take the sp def drop chance off Shadow Ball; it's already one of the most spammy moves ever created, but that's just my opinion yo.

Careful of Sand/Hazards chip.

:Weavile:

Weavile @ Heavy-Duty Boots
Ability: Pickpocket
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Triple Axel
- Knock Off
- Ice Shard

My second breaker. I really like the power of Adamant Weavile. Sometimes you really just need to use this mon to punch a hole in your opponents setup. +2 Axel is unreal damage. This also can help with switching around on Future Sight teams. Often I win games by having late game ice shard + Dragapult cleanup.

Notice I use pickpocket. This ability takes a while to really get used to, but it's actually so good if you play it right. Typically i suggest Pex/Clef are the members of this team that can be switched into Knock Offs due to their recovery, but sometimes games are won off switching into a Torn/Zeraora knockoff, stealing the Boots and punishing with subsequent hazards chip.

Also you can steal Kart Scarf if you're gonna get swept.

This ability is difficult and can sometimes backfire, but it really serves as a lifesaver if you're thinking hard and remember you have it.

:Toxapex:

Toxapex @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 252 HP / 176 Def / 80 SpD
Bold Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Scald
- Recover
- Haze
- Light Screen

Mixed def Pex skewed toward Phs Def. This helps a lot with the Melmetal/Urshifu matchups. Light screen to help against future sight spam. This poke is pretty self explanatory at this point. Spreading burn can help Hex a lot and can chip annoying threats like Ferro/Corv/LeLe/Zap/Zeraora

This team can have trouble against Heatran. Sometimes you just need to trade your Pex for big damage on Tran. Feels bad but that's the reality against a move as broken as Magma Storm.

:Landorus-Therian:

Landorus-Therian (M) @ Leftovers
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD
Careful Nature
- Defog
- Earthquake
- U-turn
- Toxic

Standard Special Defense Lando. I dont understand why this isnt a published Smogon set or a set that is saved on Damage Calc. I think at this point on the ladder about 90% of all Lando are running these EVs. Someone should change that right?

Toxic to help chip fat pokes and increase hex damage.
Sometimes you just EQ ferro over and over.

If they have Koko/Zera/Regileki/Volcarona/Blaceph this pokemon becomes MUCH more valuable. Play accordingly.

:Clefable:

Clefable @ Leftovers
Ability: Magic Guard
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Bold Nature
- Knock Off
- Moonblast
- Soft-Boiled
- Stealth Rock

This is my fav set on Clef. I often lead this poke and get the knock off + rocks early.
Something fun about Clef is it can 1v1 almost every Ferro set. Due to the combination of knock off and magic guard, ferro cannot heal against Celf whatsoever. In addition Clef can survive even Crit Gyroball and stall out that low PP move. Sometimes you just dont switch Clef out against Ferro.
Dont be afraid to click Knock off more than once in a row to punish G-Slowking switches or something like that.

Knocking off Melmetal is really important sometimes.

This can also survive surging strikes from Urshifu when at high enough HP and punish with Moonblast.

--------------------------

Some threats to this team:

:Heatran:

I honestly think Heatran is somewhat overlooked as a completely broken threat. At team preview this pokemon can 6-0 certain teams, in addition you can get really punished by misreading Balloon + Eruption Heatran teams and not preparing for that amount of damage.

As I wrote above, sometimes you just gotta give up the Pex for Heatran. If you are REALLY struggling against typical Magma + Taunt trapping sets, try shed shell on Pex or switch Flamethrower to Hydro Pump on Dragapult

:Zeraora:

This pokemon is rly fast and you cant rely on hazards chip if it has booties. You can work around it with Clef + Lando, but you have to really save both their HP.
Sometimes people switch Zera in on Pex and then try to knock off when you switch Pex out. You can use this as a chance to get Helmet chip and go for a Scald Burn.

Getting Zera low enough for Ice Shard kill or just setting up the game where you sac a low pokemon and come in with Melmetal when they dont have a switchin is often my go to.

:Torkoal:

Sun Teams
gg. Really tough counter-play. Sometimes you can create holes by leading Pult and just smashing something with Draco/Shadowball
Also the power of ice shard against Venu is key.
This is a really tough matchup in general.

---------------------------------------------------------

Let me know your thoughts on this squad. This is my first RMT so my b if i messed up formatting or whatever.

Last edited:

awyp

'Alexa play Ladyfingers by Herb Alpert'
is a Forum Moderatoris a Tiering Contributoris a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
RMT Leader
Hello dudebones, cool team. I really like having Hex instead of U-turn its a cool option because it gives the shock factor for the opponent expecting a calculation for Draco Meteor / Shadow ball depending on the switch in.

So in terms of threats you listed a bunch of them, but I would add where it's not necessarily a threat Blacephalon can be an annoyance to this team (specifically the Choice Scarf variant). Once Weavile goes down to enough health, and Pex taking enough chip damage from Stealth Rock and Shadow Ball will just continue to chip down this team, especially if utilization of Blacephalon in sun, it can be less predictions at stake and just abusing Flamethrower / Fire Blast. In terms of the other threats you listed Heatran can be annoying as well with a Magma Storm + Air Balloon combo, no real answers as you stated just sack Pex and try to beat it with Lando / Pult. Sun teams are obviously an issue specifically Venusaur with the combo of Giga Drain / Earth Power / Weather Ball.

So on to the suggestions, I think this team is very good and only needs a few tweaks to potentially propel it forward. The first Pokemon I think needs to go is Melmetal, it's a good Toxi-Stall Steel type but as listed before it gets hurt by Heatran, Blacephalon, and Sun teams. In my mind a good replacement would be one of the threats to this team (Referring to Heatran). An Air Balloon set will be helpful against other Heatrans and it allows you to switch in on Venusaur on a growth setup, you'll be able to take any of it's move because of the Air Balloon in place. Since you're going with a bulkier set for Melmetal I will suggest a bulky set as well so they can do very similar jobs. This will also give you some room for Blacephalon to take some Shadow Balls.

1667150285439.png

Heatran @ Air Balloon
Ability: Flash Fire
EVs: 112 HP / 196 SpA / 32 SpD / 168 Spe
Timid Nature
- Taunt
- Earth Power
- Magma Storm
- Toxic

This EV spread will let you outspeed Offensive Modest Heatrans, which I believe are more common than Timid Heatrans, and it will also let you take 2 Shadow Balls from Modest Choice Scarf Blacephalon.

252+ SpA Blacephalon Shadow Ball vs. 112 HP / 32 SpD Heatran: 148-175 (42.1 - 49.8%) -- guaranteed 3HKO

If you don't like the EVs it's fine and you can pick your own preference but that's how I would spread it personally.

Fun Calc: Modest (Air Balloon) Heatran 252 Sp.Att will never OHKO Specially Defensive Heatran (I'm only throwing this in case you were thinking about 252/252 Modest (Sp. Att / Spe)

252+ SpA Heatran Earth Power vs. 252 HP / 232+ SpD Heatran: 304-360 (78.7 - 93.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

With Weavile, I would go with Life Orb > Heavy-Duty Boots. It hits harder, I can provide calculations but based on if you want. Weavile will OHKO Coviknight after 1 SD, so I would go with Life Orb. (Here is all peroneal style preference, I'm not too firm on this suggestion).

On Toxapex I would go with Shed Shell > Rocky Helmet if Heatran's Magma Storm continues to be an issue. Again this all comes down to preference, you can also make the argument for Black Sludge depending how important healing is for Pex.

Aside from that, I don't have any other suggestions but this is a fantastic team and I wish you continued success.

Last edited:
Hello dudebones, cool team. I really like having Hex instead of U-turn its a cool option because it gives the shock factor for the opponent expecting a calculation for Draco Meteor / Shadow ball depending on the switch in.

So in terms of threats you listed a bunch of them, but I would add where it's not necessarily a threat Blacephalon can be an annoyance to this team (specifically the Choice Scarf variant). Once Weavile goes down to enough health, and Pex taking enough chip damage from Stealth Rock and Shadow Ball will just continue to chip down this team, especially if utilization of Blacephalon in sun, it can be less predictions at stake and just abusing Flamethrower / Fire Blast. In terms of the other threats you listed Heatran can be annoying as well with a Magma Storm + Air Balloon combo, no real answers as you stated just sack Pex and try to beat it with Lando / Pult. Sun teams are obviously an issue specifically Venusaur with the combo of Giga Drain / Earth Power / Weather Ball.

So on to the suggestions, I think this team is very good and only needs a few tweaks to potentially propel it forward. The first Pokemon I think needs to go is Melmetal, it's a good Toxi-Stall Steel type but as listed before it gets hurt by Heatran, Blacephalon, and Sun teams. In my mind a good replacement would be one of the threats to this team (Referring to Heatran). An Air Balloon set will be helpful against other Heatrans and it allows you to switch in on Venusaur on a growth setup, you'll be able to take any of it's move because of the Air Balloon in place. Since you're going with a bulkier set for Melmetal I will suggest a bulky set as well so they can do very similar jobs. This will also give you some room for Blacephalon to take some Shadow Balls.

View attachment 461368
Heatran @ Air Balloon
Ability: Flash Fire
EVs: 112 HP / 196 SpA / 32 SpD / 168 Spe
Timid Nature
- Taunt
- Earth Power
- Magma Storm
- Toxic

This EV spread will let you outspeed Offensive Modest Heatrans, which I believe are more common than Timid Heatrans, and it will also let you take 2 Shadow Balls from Modest Choice Scarf Blacephalon.

252+ SpA Blacephalon Shadow Ball vs. 112 HP / 32 SpD Heatran: 148-175 (42.1 - 49.8%) -- guaranteed 3HKO

If you don't like the EVs it's fine and you can pick your own preference but that's how I would spread it personally.

Fun Calc: Modest (Air Balloon) Heatran 252 Sp.Att will never OHKO Specially Defensive Heatran (I'm only throwing this in case you were thinking about 252/252 Modest (Sp. Att / Spe)

252+ SpA Heatran Earth Power vs. 252 HP / 232+ SpD Heatran: 304-360 (78.7 - 93.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

With Weavile, I would go with Life Orb > Heavy-Duty Boots. It hits harder, I can provide calculations but based on if you want. Weavile will OHKO Coviknight after 1 SD, so I would go with Life Orb. (Here is all peroneal style preference, I'm not too firm on this suggestion).

On Toxapex I would go with Shed Shell > Rocky Helmet if Heatran's Magma Storm continues to be an issue. Again this all comes down to preference, you can also make the argument for Black Sludge depending how important healing is for Pex.

Aside from that, I don't have any other suggestions but this is a fantastic team and I wish you continued success.
Thanks for advice, i might try the heatran you suggested. I really like max speed Heatran so i might take some EVs from SpA and fill out Speed.

Thanks again :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)