Mixed Tier Team for OU

Hello! This is a team that is technically mixed tier, but I love it because it breaks the monotony of common pokemon seen in the OU tier. It does pretty well consistently on PO, but I am definitely open to suggestions from more experienced players on areas to improve!

Accelgor M (Focus sash)
Trait: Hydration
EVs: 252 SP 252 SA 4 HP
Modest Nature
- Giga Drain
- Spikes
- Hidden Power Ground
- Bug Buzz

Originally I had Deoxys-S on this team. After he was banned in OU, I switched to Deoxys-D. He was banned too however so I was left with a void. I chose Accelgor because he is faster than almost every other lead. He can get up a layer of spikes, and then do a surprising amount of damage with decent coverage in his moveset. His aim isn't to KO really anyone, but to get down a layer of spikes and then get some nice damage on common leads, especially on weather teams. He is also a nice surprise for any pokemon doubly weak to ground. Lastly, in the event that someone uses a prankster lead (counterable by Tornadus), he can come in on a water pokemon and giga drain.

Sharpedo M (Life Orb)
Trait: Speed Boost
Evs: 252 ATK 252 SP 4 Def
Adamant Nature
- Waterfall
- Crunch
- Ice Fang
- Protect

I can't count the number of times this pokemon has won me the game. His defenses are paper thin, but unless anyone uses a faster choice scarf user he almost never gets hit. His job is clean up, or strong super effective hits. He counters dragons, steel types who have been damaged. It seems like almost nobody is prepared for him and he just wrecks.

Scizor M (Choice Band)
Trait: Technician
EVs: 252 ATK 252 SPD 252
Adament Nature
- U Turn
- Bullet Punch
- Super Power
- Pursuit

Scizor is also very strong. Bullet punch badly hurts anything that doesn't resist it. U-turn is for scouting on slower pokes, or massive damage on slow, bulky pokemon weak to bug such as Slowbro, Reuniclus, etc. They're bulky, but choice banded u-turn hits so hard and gets him safely out of the way of hidden power fire, which often Sharpedo can switch into and crunch for the KO. Super power for steels that he Outspeeds or in a pinch for pokemon that resist his stabs, like Keldeo. Pursuit of course to trap psychics and ghosts.

Alakazam M (Focus sash)
Trait: Magic Guard
EVs: 252 SPA 252 SPD 4 HP
Timid Nature
- Psychic
- Shadow Ball
- Hidden Power Ice
- Focus Blast

Alakazam is another pokemon that almost nobody is prepared for. One of my favorite things is that many now run hidden power fire, so dragons often switch into him not realizing that he's going to own them. He has saved me so many times from choiced users who would otherwise sweep my team, such a garchomp, salamence, dragonite (DDance also, etc). His coverage is amazing, and he really packs a whallop. He is also a major revenge killer on my team due to his power and speed.

Tornadus (Flying Gem)
Trait: Prankster
EVs 252 ATK 252 SPD 4 DEF
Jolly Nature
- Acrobatics
- Brick Break
- Bulk Up
- Substitute

One might, surprising, tricky, wall breaker. People so commonly expect a special version of Tornadus that often times they switch in special walls without realizing he's going to wreck them. Air gem and acrobatics is one of my favorite surprises, and KO's a vast amount of pokes. Due to his speed, he is often an ace in the hole for special sweepers who have bulked up a bit, such as Reuniclus. He also is one of my favorite counters to Gengar because of Gengar's awful defense. He is a fantastic counter to status with prankster substitute. He is also a great counter to other prankster users as they often are slower than him and he can ko them with a flying gem acrobatics before they can get him, such as Sableye. Bulk up is for when a player has an O crap moment after a substitute and brings in a special wall, only for them to be ko'd by a +1 flying gem Acrobatics.

Magneton (@Eviolite)
Trait: Magnet Pull
EVs 12HP 244 SPD 252 SPA
Modest Nature
- Charge Beam
- Substitute
- Thunderbolt
- Flash Cannon

Another ace in the hole. I firmly believe that Magneton > Magnezone. The biggest reason is that while Magneton gives up a little Special Attack, his speed catches many pokemon by surprise, such as bulky Jirachi. There are a couple of reasons that I take charge beam/flash cannon over HP Fire. First, neither of those moves are affected by rain. Secondly, HP fire is not necessary to KO double weak pokemon such as Scizor or Ferrothorn. Ferrothorn is often under rain, and Scizor is often choiced so when you come in and Substitute all over his Choiced Bullet Punch he can't do much except be set up fodder. Same for Ferrothorn. Ferrothorn's ace in the hole for many is leech seed/thunder wave and substitute just owns him. It's then forced to gyroball/power whip while you set up all over his face with charge beam. Usually this results in Magneton at +2, 3, 4, 5 or 6 behind a substitute which can then usually get another KO, or depending on the number of charges, do significant damage even do bulky ground/waters like Swampert or Gastrodon who normally laugh at Magneton. Flash cannon is also a nice Surprise for the occasional non-water ice type such as Froslass or Kyurem.

Overall this team performs solidly, but I would love some feedback on what to tweak.
Thank you so much!

Last edited:
First thing- confused about the EVs on your scizor. It says 252 ATK 252 SPD 252. Not quite sure what the 252 on the end is for, or what you mean by SPD. I'd change that to Spe for speed or SpDef for special defense.

Accelgor: Use Sticky Hold over Hydration. Hydration seems mostly unusable as you don't use rain, and most rain teams will lead with Politoed and either knock you down to your sash with a Hydro Pump or switch out fearing a Giga Drain (assuming they've fought an Accelgor before). Sticky Hold can stop any trick or knock off leads, although rare. Accelgor isn't a Pokemon regularly targeted by status.

Sharpedo- pretty standard, I like the use of Ice Fang.
Scizor- also standard, although your fire weakness shows with this and Magneton.

Alakazam- the only thing I'd say is that it fits strangely on your team. In fact, the entire rest of your team fits well on a rain team, so I was thinking that you could possibly replace Alakazam with Specs Politoed and make this a rain team. Magneton and Scizor lose their Fire weaknesses, Sharpedo gets his Waterfall boosted, and Accelgor could either make use of Hydration or possibly be exchanged for something that fills a different role, such as Special DNite or Toxicroak, or, if you still want to set up hazards (Stealth Rocks in this case), Bulky Jirachi.

Tornadus- Should you take my advice, convert him to a mixed set with Hurricane, Grass Knot, Superpower, and Taunt- or a better moveset if you can come up with one.

Magneton- Use Thunder if in the rain. Avoid Flash Cannon- It has limited coverage and isn't really useful as STAB. Use HP Ice for pseudo-BoltBeam. Also, you could use HP Fighting to hit the same things as Flash Cannon as well as all Steels barring Doublade. ;-)

I think I may be trying to change your team too much, and I know that most of my suggestions are centered around rain, so if you don't want to use rain, ignore my rate. But thanks for reading.

Typhlito

One Active Dawg
is a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis an Artist Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
Instead of accelgor, you can also give frosslass a try since your going with the less common pokemon. Its fast, can also set spikes but it also has desiny bond which you can use after your knocked down to your sash. It would also help cover sharpedo alittle with its mach punch weakness (even tho any priority bar xtreme speed and quick attack can ko it most of the time).

I agree with giving poli a try just so it can cover magneton and scizor from opposing magnezones with hp fire. good luck!

Nice to see someone use Accelgor (first time seeing a team with it haha), but replace Hidden Power Ground with Hidden Power Rock, it complete's his coverage by letting it hit Fire- and Flying types pretty hard. Oh and try Volt Switch on Magneton (replace with charge beam), and i wouldn't use Flash cannon, it's a bad STAB, but well i don't really know what you should replace it with (maybe HP fire/ground?)

I'm not really a big fan of Sharpedo, i definitely agree with using Politoad and making your team a rain team (then you should give magneton Thunder).

Sorry if it's not that great, i'm not really long into competitive battling, but good luck with your team! ;)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)