Suspect Mix and Mega Suspect: Solgaleo

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bobsican

Powerscaler at heart
is a Top Tiering Contributor
2022-10-26 (1).png

Confirming as MNMSO mari

Man, ladder sucks, the challenge is more on finding matches than winning for the most part once you have a remotely decent team.

Anyways, while I may not be the best one asking as I got bored and decided to try the meta recently, Solgaleo, while strong, doesn't seem particularly centralizing or dumb, while its stats are bloated as anyone would expect for a box-art legendary, its movepool isn't something to write home about, I never felt too comfortable sending out Solgaleo as chip damage on a mon whose sole recovery option is at 8PP and weather-reliant in a meta where weather teams are fairly common (as far as ladder is concerned) doesn't do it any favors.

abriel

I’m with you.
is a Community Contributoris a Contributor to Smogon
Screen Shot 2022-10-27 at 6.12.29 PM.png

bit torn bc solg is a good addition to the meta in a lot of ways, but the set versatility (particuarly on cm sets) combined with solg's power and ridiculous bulk is just too much in my eyes. double dance on screens is just silly as well. will miss having a strong bulky steel if it goes though.

pulsar512b

ss ou fangirl
is a Pre-Contributor
1667001243064.png

made reqs, yall were right w it being more annoying to get games than winning them (last 10 games i spent like 5x more time just waiting for a game than playing them), ty martinvtran for team

thoughts on solgaleo: was a bit annoying for the team but that was more just a flaw of the team than it being broken for sure. idk need to play more styles than just straight HO to have a good sense for what's up, especially since this is like the first time i spent an appreciable time on MnM. leaning ban tho, bulky strong good mon even when super offensive has defensive utility and power.

definitely going to play more tho, feels like a really fun offensive metagame

Last edited:

Clas

My death was... greatly exaggerated
is a Tiering Contributor
1667161185241.png

got reqs wednesday but wrote this long ass post instead, s/o axzel for team bc none of mine work on ladder barring 1 that is just mid anyway. voting ban ftr

i have a feeling at least half of people with suspect reqs dont actually know what solg is like and faced the bad sets on ladder (seriously, pfangs solg sucks ass and this is all i saw on ladder) so ill explain what the issue with solgaleo is.

solgaleo as a mon is fine on the physical side, nobody is worrying about that. its just a good mon that u have to prep for with entei etc that gets dealt with that way quite easily. its rather the cm sets that are the issue.
:landorus-therian::hippowdon::lunala::excadrill::rhyperior::heatran::hydreigon::zygarde::zygarde-complete::toxapex:
niche::groudon::tyranitar::kartana:
:entei::ho-oh::lunala::heatran::hydreigon::zygarde::zygarde-complete::victini::toxapex::arcanine:
niche: :groudon::kartana::milotic:
:entei::landorus-therian::groudon::hippowdon::lunala::excadrill::heatran::victini:
niche: :hydreigon::kartana::zekrom:
:entei::ho-oh::groudon::hippowdon::lunala::excadrill::heatran::victini:
niche: :hydreigon::dragapult::kartana::zekrom:
:lunala::excadrill::heatran:
niche: :groudon::hydreigon:

well...this is actually a lie because they all have to be full hp or have solg chipped to even 1v1, and cam solg blasts through groudon, lunala, and hydreigon with a boost prior. oh and exca cant be mega'd to beat lati solg soooooo
:heatran:

yep. just heatran. its not even like heatran likes to take these either, as it gets worn down somewhat quickly too along with relying on magma storm to win the 1v1 - something bulky solg can (somewhat) stall out if it isnt ampharosite + taunt. on the topic of ampharosite, its the only set that deals with all sets reliably - zardite y sets have to be high hp to stand a chance and double dance solg can still make zardytran struggle at times.
heres a couple replays of solg being stupid to make my point clear
1667161251229.png1667161262473.png i also played the same team vs beauts and the mon was as stupid there despite her best to play around it. solg comes in at every opportunity it gets, sets up a cm, claims a kill or near-kill, and repeats
1667161503380.png1667161580406.png solg beats hydrei, rest of the team creates an opportunity for solg to heal, then wins the rest of the game (even if it was the end of the game in the first place)
1667161437165.png1667161447051.png solg breaks down hydreigon for the rest of the team to clean up. also could recover on both blissey and milo easily despite the short example
1667161368176.png1667161379971.png why venu solg (and generally bulky solg in general) is so stupid. solg comes in and weakens down lando for zera later, gets the kill on gzap (who is the only one who can handle solg from this point, on turn 16) and then secures the win later with victini making it a bit faster

unfortunately i dont have any saved examples of double dance solg or lati solg being stupid (or manec but thats really really niche), but theyre equally just as stupid.

now a couple of other bits to clear up
any solg set you saw on ladder is bad and has been for 8 months its the pre-etern ban set

Anyways, while I may not be the best one asking as I got bored and decided to try the meta recently, Solgaleo, while strong, doesn't seem particularly centralizing or dumb, while its stats are bloated as anyone would expect for a box-art legendary, its movepool isn't something to write home about, I never felt too comfortable sending out Solgaleo as chip damage on a mon whose sole recovery option is at 8PP and weather-reliant in a meta where weather teams are fairly common (as far as ladder is concerned) doesn't do it any favors.
this is very misleading in 3 ways:
1) solg is incredibly centralising to the point where magearna, a once staple pivot, is falling out of favour for other mons partly due to it sharing 2 major weaknesses with solg in fire and ground. it also forces at least 1 answer per team per attacking side (physical is thankfully decently easy to answer due to sharing checks with entei), and even that is often not enough as shown by 3 of the replays above.

2) while it doesnt have as wide of a movepool as say mewtwo or slowbro, it still has enough tools to deal with practically the entire metagame. for physical sets it has flare blitz, crunch, wild charge, knock off (ho-oh tech), flame charge (on aero sets), and even much nicher options like cc and stone edge. specially it has psyshock, thunderbolt, flamethrower, mystical fire, psychic, and flash cannon to work with, which is more than enough to deal with almost the entire metagame alone. it also has reliable recovery in msun, which automatically sets it apart from most other steel-types but also makes it extremely annoying to deal with over the course of the game.

3) weather teams are really uncommon. the most common is sun, which actually helps solg, and all tyranitarite mons hate being sent out against solg because it beats them, along with giving solg a free turn to do whatever it wants to.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)