OU Mimikyu

QC: PK Gaming / Colonel M / Hootie
GP: CryoGyro

[OVERVIEW]

* Disguise allows Mimikyu to set up very easily thanks to preventing damage from the first direct attack it takes.
* A convenient Speed tier allows Mimikyu to outspeed Tapu Lele, Kyurem-B, and Jolly Excadrill outside of sand, but leaves it outsped by Tapu Koko, Salamence, offensive Garchomp, Kartana, Mega Pinsir, and Greninja.
* Its STAB combination alone is resisted by no relevant OU Pokemon. Coupled with its immunity to Fighting-, Normal-, and Dragon-type attacks, Mimikyu has an easy time setting up.
* Mimikyu can be a difficult Pokemon to play around thanks to its exceptional ability.
* Without Ghostium Z or Life Orb, Mimikyu struggles to remove some of the bulkier Pokemon in the tier, such as Skarmory, Celesteela, and Tapu Fini. Unfortunately, Shadow Claw is Mimikyu's strongest Ghost-type move and leaves much to be desired outside of Never-Ending Nightmare because of its low Base Power.
* Once Mimikyu's Disguise is broken, it is easily revenge killed thanks to its poor bulk and Shadow Sneak being weak against all but Ghost-weak targets even after a Swords Dance.

[SET]
name: Swords Dance Cleaner
move 1: Swords Dance
move 2: Shadow Sneak
move 3: Play Rough
move 4: Shadow Claw
item: Life Orb / Ghostium Z
ability: Disguise
nature: Jolly
evs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========

* Swords Dance in combination with Disguise allows Mimikyu to set up very easily and clean late-game.
* Shadow Sneak gives Mimikyu a way to pick off Pokemon as well as attack Pokemon that would otherwise outspeed it and possibly remove it from battle.
* Play Rough is Mimikyu's hardest-hitting physical attack, with well rounded neutral coverage on its own.
* Shadow Claw is Mimikyu's second STAB move and, much like Play Rough, has fantastic neutral coverage.

Set Details
========

* A Jolly nature with 252 Speed EVs allows Mimikyu to outpace every non-Choice Scarf variant Pokemon of base 95 Speed and below, like Tapu Lele, Kyurem-B, and Excadrill outside of sand.
* Life Orb turns Mimikyu into an extremely powerful physical attacker, capable of 2HKOing Skarmory after Stealth Rock damage with Adamant +2 Shadow Claw.
* Ghostium Z allows for Adamant Mimikyu to 2HKO Toxapex without having to worry about Life Orb recoil.
* An Adamant nature can be used for more damage output, but Mimikyu will never outspeed the aforementioned base 95 Speed Pokemon such as Tapu Lele and Kyurem-B.

Usage Tips
========

* Mimikyu works marvelously as a late-game cleaner so long as its Disguise is still intact. Mimikyu can easily clean up after Pokemon that can force it out or check it are weakened enough.
* It's important to not play Mimikyu as if it were a sweeper in most cases because of its less-than-stellar Speed.
* Be careful if Psychic Terrain is activated, as it prevents Mimikyu from being able to use Shadow Sneak, taking away some of its cleaning power.

Team Options
========

* Magnezone traps Celesteela, Skarmory, Mega Scizor, and Ferrothorn, all Pokemon that can phaze Mimikyu out, or threaten it with a killing blow.
* Although it does not restore Mimikyu's Disguise, Healing Wish or Heal Bell support can be run in conjunction with Life Orb Mimikyu in the event it receives a status ailment.
* Slow VoltTurn users such as Mega Scizor, Rotom-W, and Landorus-T work very well when coupled with Mimikyu, as they allow it to always come in with its Disguise intact.
* Entry hazards really help in whittling Pokemon down, making Mimikyu's job even easier. Heatran fills this role and can also trap bulky Water-types that give Mimikyu a hard time.
* Tapu Koko breaks down and threatens out the bulky Water- and Steel-type Pokemon that give Mimikyu a tough time cleaning.
* Choice Specs Hidden Power Electric Pheromosa compliments Mimikyu much in the same way Tapu Koko does, breaking many of the Pokemon that give Mimikyu a hard time.
* Mega Alakazam can also help in breaking many of Mimikyu's typical switch-ins, especially when it is the Calm Mind variant, and is able to outspeed many of the faster Pokemon that can revenge kill Mimikyu.

[STRATEGY COMMENTS]
Other Options
=============

* Will-O-Wisp + 3 attacks can be run to allow Mimikyu to heavily cripple its checks like Mega Scizor and Mega Metagross, which would otherwise give it a difficult time.
* Lum Berry can be used to prevent status ailments, notably burn, from being induced at the expense of damage output.
* Substitute can be run to allow Mimikyu to maintain its Disguise for a longer period of time, allowing it to set up easier.
* Trick Room allows Mimikyu to not only support its slower team, but also have the opportunity to give offense teams a hard time.

Checks and Counters
===================

**Steel-types**: Steel-types are a large threat to any Mimikyu set other than Ghostium Z, as even after +2, Celesteela can avoid the 2HKO and KO with Heavy Slam. Skarmory and Ferrothorn can take +2 Shadow Claw from a Mimikyu without Ghostium Z. Skarmory can also phaze Mimikyu out if it hasn't already set up its Swords Dance. Ferrothorn pressures Mimikyu with Iron Barbs and Leech Seed. Magearna can also avoid the 2hko from unboosted Shadow Claw and threaten it out with Flash Cannon or set up. Mega Scizor can switch into unboosted Mimikyu with little fear, bar Will-O-Wisp, and threaten it out or KO with Bullet Punch.

**Bulky Water-types**: Toxapex can prove troublesome if Mimikyu has not yet set up and lacks Ghostium Z or Life Orb. It can use a combination of Scald and Recover to burn Mimikyu and maintain a healthy state if Mimikyu is not the Substitute set. Toxapex also has Haze, making all of Mimikyu's stat buffs null. Tapu Fini can give Mimikyu a hard time if it comes in on Swords Dance, avoiding the OHKO and breaking Mimikyu's Disguise to leave it easily revenge killed. Although Rotom-W is 2HKOed by +2 Play Rough, it can burn Mimikyu, making it next to useless at doing its job.

**Mega Venusaur**: Much like Toxapex, Mega Venusaur can deal with Mimikyu as long as it is not at +2, and is capable of breaking Mimikyu's Substitute.

**Faster Offensive Pokemon**: Choice Scarf Tapu Lele negates Shadow Sneak with Psychic Terrain and OHKOes Mimikyu with any move. Others like Kartana, Greninja, and Tapu Koko aren't OHKOed by +2 Shadow Sneak and can take Mimikyu out once its Disguise is busted due to its poor defenses.

**Mold Breaker**: Mold Breaker allows its users, like Excadrill and Mega Gyarados, to deal direct damage regardless of whether Disguise is intact or not. Teravolt also applies, but non-Choice Scarf Kyurem-B isn't too big of a threat because Mimikyu naturally outspeeds and has a chance to OHKO with Play Rough after Stealth Rock damage.

Last edited:
For the Sub SD set I would consider running Salac Berry as it is advantageous in many different opportunities. With Salac Berry you can find opportunities to do things like revenge kill certain sweepers and set up at the same time. You can keep on clicking substitute until you get to 25% and then with Salac Berry giving +1 speed, allowing you to out speed the said sweeper and set up a Swords Dance yourself. Mimikyu is particularly good with Salac Berry as in another situation, disguise can allow you to survive a hit from a revenge killer, no matter how hard, when it is at 25% making it very different than other Salac Berry users. I would highly suggest trying this for yourself as there are so many opportunities where Salac Berry is useful.

On another note, and I know this is very WIP, but I wouldn't necessarily describe disguise as being a substitute as you are not immune to things like additional effects from moves. For example when being hit by the most overpowered and broken move in the game Scald, you can get a Burn, although you will take no damage from the attack. You should probably point that out when describing disguise.

On another note, and I know this is very WIP, but I wouldn't necessarily describe disguise as being a substitute as you are not immune to things like additional effects from moves. For example when being hit by the most overpowered and broken move in the game Scald, you can get a Burn, although you will take no damage from the attack. You should probably point that out when describing disguise.
That is why I said "direct attacks". I also said it is very susceptible to status when not behind a Substitute.

UltiMario

Out of Obscurity
is a Pokemon Researcher
WoW+3 Atks and WoWSplit sets probly deserve at least a mention in OO. I've seen them used in some tour games, and while they're nothing to write home about, they're definitely good enough to mention. Most ppl don't play around it and tend to get a mon crippled by Mimikyu that otherwise wouldn't care too much about it.

WoW+3 Atks and WoWSplit sets probly deserve at least a mention in OO. I've seen them used in some tour games, and while they're nothing to write home about, they're definitely good enough to mention. Most ppl don't play around it and tend to get a mon crippled by Mimikyu that otherwise wouldn't care too much about it.
I was going to add the status spreading sets in the OO, I will add WoW 3 attacks as well, as that one didn't cross my mind at all.
Thanks

It won't be of any use in OU I think, but this mon has access to Bulk up. With leech life, it can get some recovery. I never used this set outside a few fights with a mono ghost, so I'm not quite sure on the EV spread, but even if it is still weak to status (disguise's not perfect), I think it deserves a mention in OO.

And we should write somewhere that Z-splash does less damage than SD + LO.
+2 252 Atk Life Orb Mimikyu Shadow Sneak vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Latias: 151-182 (97.4 - 117.4%) -- 93.8% chance to OHKO
+3 252 Atk Mimikyu Shadow Sneak vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Latias: 146-174 (94.1 - 112.2%) -- 68.8% chance to OHKO

Last edited:
It won't be of any use in OU I think, but this mon has access to Bulk up. With leech life, it can get some recovery. I never used this set outside a few fights with a mono ghost, so I'm not quite sure on the EV spread, but even if it is still weak to status (disguise's not perfect), I think it deserves a mention in OO.

And we should write somewhere that Z-splash does less damage than SD + LO.
+2 252 Atk Life Orb Mimikyu Shadow Sneak vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Latias: 151-182 (97.4 - 117.4%) -- 93.8% chance to OHKO
+3 252 Atk Mimikyu Shadow Sneak vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Latias: 146-174 (94.1 - 112.2%) -- 68.8% chance to OHKO
I'll include Bulk Up in the OO's but I left Splash out for a reason. People hyped it up, and it was funny for a little bit, but it is extremely inferior to SD. The fact you can only set it up once, and SD+LO hits significantly harder and can be set up multiple times is the reason I just didn't even mention it. It's gimmicky at best, and I really feel it shouldn't get a mention as it leads people to believe it's worth running when it really isn't.

Colonel M

I COULD BE BORED!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
So I'm not QC, but I figured I would sweep in and take a look at the analysis.

First off when I hit Ctrl+F and only find Scizor mentioned "once", and it being in Ultimario's signature... that kind of scares me.
Convenient speed tier allowing Mimikyu to outspeed a lot of the hard hitting Pokemon introduced this generation.
Since Mimikyu is a new Pokemon and not necessarily a returning mon from last generation (think Gengar), I think it is better to state that Mimikyu outspeeds a lot of slower Pokemon such as Kyurem-B, Tapu Lele, and most Excadrill. This helps outline what Pokemon Mimikyu outspeeds while also outlining what bar Mimikyu sets (it has a trolly Speed tier after all).
Absolutely amazing typing, giving Mimikyu 3 key immunities and a x.25 resistance to Bug.
I don't know if I would say it's an amazing typing. I always found statements like this kind of cringy because amazing typing is really arguable. Let's think of it like this:

"Great offensive typing as its STABs alone are resisted by no relevant OU Pokemon. Furthermore, its immunity to Fighting-, Dragon-, and Normal-type attacks give Mimikyu an easier time setting up."

Notice how I explained why it has great typing outside of just its defenses. While 3 immunities are great, it's also plagued with weaknesses to Steel-type attacks (Scizor says hello) among others.
Despite the amazing typing, Mimikyu's defenses are not the best.
Kind of like I said above, I wouldn't really say the word amazing with it as defensively Mimikyu is okay. I would simply state that outside of its immunities and Bug resists Mimikyu has average durability.
Swords Dance in combination with its ability disguise allows for Mimikyu to set up very easily and clean late game.
Disguise should be capitalized. As Disguise is this Pokemon's ability, it should always be capitalized (i.e. "Disguise" not "disguise").
Adamant can be ran for more damage output, however, you will never outspeed +speed 85's, many of which can prove troublesome.
Could you provide some examples here? From what I'm aware of many Pokemon do not reside in the 85 Speed tier that normally run Speed. Hell, the fastest around that tier at the moment that I can remember off-hand is Gyarados at 81 base.

Mention the real reason to use Jolly is to ensure Mimikyu is faster than Tapu Lele that don't use Choice Scarf. This is critical as A) Psychic Terrain nullifies Shadow Sneak and B) some Tapu Leles like Specs, all-out attackers, and Calm Mind will consider Timid natures.
Ghostium Z allows for Mimikyu to 2HKO Toxapex if Adamant without having to worry about Life Orb recoil.
So after some thought Ghostium Z does have some uses - but you really need to outline why to use Ghostium Z outside of "2HKOing Toxapex". Mention that it's used as a significantly stronger attack that can help finish weakened Pokemon to ease Mimikyu cleaning up the game.

With this in mind, drop Lum Berry as a slash in the set but keep it in Set Details.
Magnezone traps a couple of Mimikyu's most common switch-ins and takes them out enabling Mimikyu to set up much easier.
Much like Magnezone, Dugtrio can trap some of the more troublesome Pokemon that Mimikyu has to deal with and remove them from battle.
So what are Mimikyu's most common switch-ins? What mons do these things beat? Could we at least reference one, or even two of them?

For example, Magnezone traps Scizor, Skarmory, Ferrothorn, and Celesteela. These are pretty common switch-ins to Mimikyu and can either phaze it out or beat Mimikyu one-on-one.

Dugtrio can trap and kill bulkier Pokemon such as Toxpaex, faster Pokemon such as Mega Metagross lacking Bullet Punch, among others. Consider what Pokemon Mimikyu has problems with, what Magnezone and Dugtrio provide as support for Mimikyu.
Although it does not restore Mimikyu's disguise, Healing Wish or Heal Bell support can be ran in conjunction with Life Orb Mimikyu in the event it receives a status ailment.
I've rarely seen Heal Beal and Aromatherapy on offensive teams (which I feel is Mimikyu's specialty). Healing Wish is okay since it is something that is sometimes used. Latias is a Pokemon that has Healing Wish. I wouldn't mention Healing Wish though - considering Mimikyu relies on Disguise and being a cleaner above all else Mimikyu should be reserved as much as possible for late game (i.e. literally not breaking Disguise).

What should be mentioned instead is Pokemon like Tapu Fini who can prevent Mimikyu from being burned or paralyzed with Misty Terrain. It also can reset the terrain if Psychic Terrain is on the field. Fini can weaken Pokemon with either STAB Moonblast, STAB Scald (and cripple if Flying-type or Levitating), or Nature's Madness.
Slow Volt Switchers and U-Turn users work very well when coupled with Mimikyu as it allows it to always come into Pokemon with its Disguise intact.
Again provide examples. We have Magnezone above who is a Volt Switch user. U-turners haven't really been mentioned, but there are a couple that spring to mind:

- Landorus-T is always a solid choice in that it provides Stealth Rock for Mimikyu - critical for when it actually attempts to clean.
- Expert Belt or Choice Band Genesect can provide U-turn support as well.

This is something that I feel I should correct in my analysis as well, but faster U-turners aren't always bad. Think about how Tapu Koko, Tornadus-T, and Pheromosa force switches just with their presence usually.
Hazards really help in whittling Pokemon down making Mimikyu's job even easier.
We covered this above, but I would also mention that Dugtrio can provide Stealth Rock support when mentioning Dugtrio.

The lack of mentioning Pokemon that can help open holes for Mimikyu is extremely disappointing. There's a lot of strong special or mixed sweepers that can place major dents on the opponent's team to ensure a lategame Mimikyu cleanup.

- Greninja pressures the majority of Steel-types with STAB Hydro Pump while having moves that can hit Ferrothorn (or at worst you just pack Magnezone). You could probably use Ash-Greninja in tandem since Steel-types dislike switching into Specs Dark Pulse after achieving Battle Bond.
- Landorus-I pummels the fuck out of the majority of OU while being able to use Knock Off to make some threats that have recovery easier to break. This includes Chansey which is a very easy Pokemon to set up on if you're packing Substitute.
- Hoopa-U is another Pokemon that just straight up tears holes in teams while not really being phased by Steel-types thanks to STAB Dark.
- Heatran is an interesting stallbreaker that can melt a lot of Steel-types while being able to lure Water-types and crushing them with Bloom Doom (this means you have to use Life Orb on Mimikyu).
- Volcanion is another one of those Pokemon that just can absolutely hurt slower teams while being a hard threat to switch into if it faces faster teams.
- Mega Charizard Y punishes Steel-types, breaks through a lot of defensive teams, and resets the weather. This helps when facing threats like Sand Rush Excadrill and Swift Swim Kingdra.
- Specs Keldeo punishes Dark-types and few mons can switch into its STAB combo easily.

Etc. I mean I could list a lot of these Pokemon, and for all I know maybe you know better Pokemon that puncture holes for Mimikyu than I do. But consider that Mimikyu needs support to clean up teams. It can't do it itself.

Hell you could even mention something like Sticky Web, which actually allows Mimikyu to really game through some of the faster Pokemon. Not even that was mentioned (though to be fair this one kind of came in later with p2).

Other Options have a lot of gimmicks. Realistically, the only Other Option I would suggest is Salac Berry. Red Card is terrible from a perspective on that it doesn't really achieve anything for Mimikyu other than forcing out a Pokemon that set up prior to, Leech Life has literally no room on any set, and maybe Taunt as it prevents crippling Mimikyu through Will-O-Wisp shenanigans. I could give Thunder Wave a pass in OO too since it brings Pokemon faster than Mimikyu down to Mimikyu's level and Disguise at least gives it an opportunity for one free Thunder Wave.

Basically this is what I would do for Other Options:

- Taunt is an option that prevents Pokemon from phazing Mimikyu out or crippling it with status such as Will-O-Wisp or Toxic. It can sort of stallbreak with Taunt too since if selective Pokemon are gone some of them (like Chansey) have no way to stop Mimikyu from setting up.
- Wood Hammer can bypass some of the bulkier Pokemon such as Hippowdon, but the recoil and general lack of effectiveness outside of stall situations makes it a bleaker option. This should only be used with Life Orb.
- Weakness Policy can spook an opponent off-guard that attempts to bust Mimikyu's Disguise with a super effective move. The potential of +4 Attack is nothing to sneeze at.
- Focus Sash requires a lot of support, but it increases the general annoyance of Mimikyu by surviving three attacks minimum (unless Mold Breaker or something loony like +1 Work Up Water Shuriken Ash-Greninja... which doesn't exist from what I know of).
- Thunder Wave can cripple a switch-in.
- Salac Berry with Substitute I guess is okay.

The checks and counters are really awkward as hell. First off, the ultimate way to beat Mimikyu is through Steel-types. (Mega) Scizor and Bullet Punch Mega Metagross can roll this thing into the ground if its Disguise is busted. Mega Scizor only really cares about Ghostium Z boosted Shadow Claw, while Mega Metagross bypasses Shadow Sneak with STAB Bullet Punch. Celesteela and Skarmory are usually tanky enough to take a boosted Shadow Claw (or Never-Ending Nightmare - which by the way Celesteela can practically ignore with Protect) and either phaze it out or downright kill it. Bisharp is pretty notable because it can potentially take one Play Rough and OHKO with Iron Head. Shadow Sneak does negligible damage to it too. Scarf Excadrill can usually tank a +2 Shadow Sneak and KO it with Mold Breaker Iron Head too. Kartana can shut it down with STAB Steel Strike. Dark-types that are faster can also do some damage to Mimikyu. Weavile can tank +2 Shadow Sneak and threaten to OHKO Mimikyu with STAB Icicle Crash. Ash-Greninja won't necessarily OHKO it with STAB Water Shuriken, but it can take down a whittled Mimikyu or simply outspeed and KO it with STAB Dark Pulse. Toxapex is okay to keep in since it can Haze the +2 and can survive a Never-Ending Nightmare from Mimikyu. Being put to sleep or being burned really needs a mention too - it basically shuts down all the threat from facing Mimikyu in general. Unaware users such as Clefable and Quagsire will ignore any stat boosts and wear Mimikyu down while recovering.

=====

This is something I kind of want to test more myself since I admit I haven't used Mimikyu, but going from general meta knowledge, some other players' input, among what's been used around ladder and tours this is probably what I would consider the only set that should be on the analysis:

[SET]
name: Swords Dance
move 4: Shadow Claw / Will-O-Wisp / Substitute
item: Ghostium Z / Life Orb
nature: Jolly / Adamant
evs: 252 atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe

- Shadow Claw combo with Ghostium Z for cleaning. Else use Life Orb.
- Will-O-Wisp to prank Scizor and other physical attackers - sort of lure-ish.
- Substitute for when you want to be a complete douchebag and force the opponent to hit you 3 times instead of a minimum of two (one to bust Sub, one to kill). Blocking status helps too.

Ghostiun Z Shadow Claw, IMO, is the real allure to it being a cleaner in tandem with STAB Shadow Sneak and Disguise giving it a free Swords Dance if the opponent's answer to a threat is killing it. That's really what you have to sell to others' about, as otherwise the question of "why use this Pokemon" will be brought up.

For what it's worth after looking through it more and having discussions with a couple random players it seems pretty threatening (why else would it get an analysis), but I feel the current analysis doesn't really outline why. Hopefully this helps spark some thought and, maybe, re-consider what pairs with Mimikyu and what makes it a good cleaner among what it can do to scare the opponent.

Last edited:
I can't speak for other QC members, but I would have given this a look had I any experience with Mimikyu. I'll look into building around it and see if I can get you a QC check before I sleep.

Hey guys, what I was thinking was to have Pyukumuku run a Recover/Counter/Protect/Memento set, so when he kills himself, mimikyu can capitalize on the turn used to either break the disguise, or switch to get rid of the lowered attack stats(them), to Swords Dance(me). Then, I have it holding a focus sash so it is guaranteed at least one more Swords Dance, if I'm lucky the attack did not do much so I get one more, but then I use shadow sneak to priority kill the rest. I also have Protect cuz it will be useful, and Destiny Bond, for when I get to a poke I know he can't beat. This is my Mimikyu:

Shy Guy (Mimikyu) @ Focus Sash
Ability: Disguise
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Shadow Sneak
- Destiny Bond
- Protect

Colonel M

I COULD BE BORED!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
There are moves that hit through disguise. Head Smash is one of them.
Are you sure this isn't with Mold Breaker taken into account?

Also @ post above Lemonade Candy's - just... no. Pyukumuku isn't getting an analysis and Mimikyu is too slow to Destiny Bond.

Does a defensive set with Pain Split, Wisp, Sneak/Claw and filler (Sub, Destiny Bond, Play Rough, etc.) have merit?

PK Gaming

Persona 5
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
The overview is way too bloated right now. You can definitely cut down on some unnecessary information.

Disguise does not protect you from status ailments.
Remove this and specify that in the main analysis.

• STABs alone are resisted by no relevant OU Pokemon.
  • Movepool is not the largest, but definitely makes do with what it does have as STAB is more than enough as is.
Both of these are redundant. Implementing Colonel_M's suggestion is the way to go here, imo.

• Has priority allowing it to pick off key Pokemon late game.
Remove this.

• Although it has amazing coverage in its STAB alone, it relies on Swords Dance to capitalize on it.
  • Very susceptible to status when not behind a Substitute.
Remove both of these.

• Convenient speed tier allowing Mimikyu to outspeed a lot of the hard hitting Pokemon introduced this generation.
Add that it still falls short of a bunch of relevant, faster Pokemon.

I would also add that Mimikyu is a tricky Pokemon to play around in the lategame and can be devastating if your opponent gives it an opening.

In the Usage Tips section

You should always be focusing on keeping its disguise intact.
How? On the next line, you go onto specify Mimikyu should be brought out in the lategame, so this line is useless.

The Checks and Counters section could use some beefing up

Mega Scizor is a strong check, though it can't directly switch into a +2 Ghostzium-Z obviously. Physically defensive tanks like Hippowdown deserve mention as well, but obviously Slowbro gets blown up. Faster offensive Pokemon once Disguise is down works, but as previously mentioned, it's tricky because only Dark-types resist Ghost (also Normal-types but they're largely irrelevant), but most of them can't one shot it unless it's been weakened and it can threaten in return with Play Rough.

Colonel_M basically covered Team Options

Last edited:
Wrong forum. Thought this was discussion for some reason, not the QC thread.

But now that I've posted... do you guys think that Red card deserves a mention?

Last edited:

PK Gaming

Persona 5
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
Looking good, though the Overview needs some more content.
  • I'd mention that while fast, it falls short of various relevant Pokemon in the tier like Greninja, Tapu Koko, Genesect, etc. Also, once its disguise is removed, dealing with it becomes considerably easier.
  • It's also not the strongest Pokemon and outside of GhostiumZ, it will sometimes struggle to OHKO Pokemon / 2HKO some of the bulkier Pokemon.
  • You also need to mention its great typing. Ghost / Fairy is only weak to Ghost (Mimikyuu pretty much beats every Ghost-type at +2) and Steel (easily resisted) making it kind of hard to OHKO.
  • Ghostium Z needs to be slashed over Life orb
  • Substitute should at least get a mention in OO
1/3

Last edited:
Looking good, though the Overview needs some more content.
  • I'd mention that while fast, it falls short of various relevant Pokemon in the tier like Greninja, Tapu Koko, Genesect, etc. Also, once its disguise is removed, dealing with it becomes considerably easier.
  • It's also not the strongest Pokemon and outside of GhostiumZ, it will sometimes struggle to OHKO Pokemon / 2HKO some of the bulkier Pokemon.
  • You also need to mention its great typing. Ghost / Fairy is only weak to Ghost (Mimikyuu pretty much beats every Ghost-type at +2) and Steel (easily resisted) making it kind of hard to OHKO.
  • Ghostium Z needs to be slashed over Life orb
  • Substitute should at least get a mention in OO
1/3
Yea, I'm still working on it lol. I'm home for the holidays with no computer so I'm stuck with mobile. Come Sunday night I'll get back into it more.

I've been breeding for an Adamant natured Mimikyu, but I got a lonely natured one that has perfect IVs in Atk, SpAtk, SpDef, and Speed, with near perfect defence (Fantastic in IV checker) and Very Good HP. Would lonely be better in this case?

The other 2 options are essentially the same but Jolly natured and only decent HP, as well as an Adamant natured one with only pretty good defense

AccidentalGreed

Sweet and bitter as chocolate.
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
I've been breeding for an Adamant natured Mimikyu, but I got a lonely natured one that has perfect IVs in Atk, SpAtk, SpDef, and Speed, with near perfect defence (Fantastic in IV checker) and Very Good HP. Would lonely be better in this case?

The other 2 options are essentially the same but Jolly natured and only decent HP, as well as an Adamant natured one with only pretty good defense
http://www.smogon.com/forums/forums/uncharted-territory.387/

Your question is better answered if you asked it in the Mimikyu thread under the linked subforum as this one focuses on writing analyses and is meant to focus on simulator battles.

To answer your question short-term, keep trying and use your Lonely Mimikyu as a parent so the next generation can have better IVs.

DennisEG

Civil Engineer
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
hey there
add remove
[OVERVIEW]

* Disguise allows Mimikyu to set up very easily thanks to having a free substitute on the first direct attack it takes.
* Convenient speed tier allowing Mimikyu to outspeed Tapu Lele, Kyurem-Black, and Jolly Excadrill outside of sand, but is left outsped by Tapu Koko and Greninja. mention more immediates mons here like salamance, garchomp, mega pins etc.
* STABs alone are resisted by no relevant OU Pokemon. Coupled with its immunity to Fighting, Normal, and Dragon type attacks, Mimikyu has an easy time setting up. mention here its priority stab too
* Mimikyu can be a difficult Pokemon to play around thanks to its exceptional ability. Thus, when given the opening, it can be terrifying.
add mention of support moves like wow, dbond and pain split.
* Without Ghostium Z or Life Orb, Mimikyu struggles to remove some of the bulkier Pokemon in the tier, such as Skarmory, Celesteela, and Tapu Fini. add here that it doesnt posses a strong ghost stab.
**mention its poor defense after disguise is busted, being easy to revenge.

[SET]
name: Swords Dance cleaner
move 4: Shadow Claw
item: Ghostium Z / Life Orb id let life orb first than slashed with Lum, ik pk suggest this slash but its been awhile and metagame has evolve, ghostium is nice but LO still 2hko toxa after rocks and give you more damage output while boosting shadow sneak too.
ability: Disguise
nature: Jolly / Adamant Jolly is really needed for tapu lele and another mons in the same speed base like kyub
evs: 252 atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========

* Swords Dance in combination with its ability disguise allows for Mimikyu to set up very easily and clean late game.
* Shadow Sneak gives Mimikyu a way to pick off Pokemon as well as attack Pokemon that would otherwise outspeed it and possibly remove it from battle.
* Play Rough is Mimikyu's hardest hitting physical attack, with well rounded neutral coverage on its own.
* Shadow Claw is Mimikyu's second STAB which, much like Play Rough, has fantastic neutral coverage.

Set Details
========

* Jolly with 252 speed allows Mimikyu to outpace every non-scarf variant of base 95 speed and below, like Tapu Lele, Kyurem-Black, .
* Life Orb turns Mimikyu into an extremely hard hitting Physical attacker, capable of 2HKO'ing Skarmory after rocks with +2 Shadow Claw, if Adamant.
* Adamant can be ran for more damage output, however, you will never outspeed the base 95's such as Taput Lele and Kyurem-Black. you can let this suggestion and add mention of ghostium z here, as is able to hko toxa, mega sciz, ferro and mega venu after prior damage. and hkoing celesteela
* Ghostium Z allows for Mimikyu to 2HKO Toxapex if Adamant without having to worry about Life Orb recoil.

Usage Tips
========

* You should always be focusing on keeping its disguise intact.
* Mimikyu works marvelously as a late game cleaner so long as its Disguise is still intact. Mimikyu can easily clean up after any Pokemon that forces it out, and some key Pokemon have been weakened enough.
* It's important to not play Mimikyu as if it were a sweeper in most cases because of its less than stellar speed. Do not set up too early, it is very important that Mimikyu sets up only after its checks/counters are severely weakened and the rest of the team cannot deal with +2 Mimikyu. or its check are in ko range of shadow sneak
add some line here about being aware of Psychic terrain as it limits mimikyu ability to revenge kill.

Team Options
========

* Magnezone traps Celesteela, Skarmory, Mega Scizor, and Ferrothorn, all Pokemon that can phaze it out, or threaten it with a killing blow.
* Although it does not restore Mimikyu's disguise, Healing Wish or Heal Bell support can be ran in conjunction with Life Orb Mimikyu in the event it receives a status ailment.
* Slow Volt Switchers and U-Turn users such as Mega Scizor, Rotom-w and Landorus-T work very well when coupled with Mimikyu as it allows it to always come into Pokemon with its Disguise intact.
* Hazards really help in whittling Pokemon down making Mimikyu's job even easier.
heatran is really good cuz can setup rocks to ensure some hkos, also can trap bulky waters like Fini with Magma Bloom, resist steel attacks too.
**another cool partner is fini as can setup misty terrain so you can setup freely against wow users like sableye or opposing tran despite being under disguise. Also fini can weaken toxa with nature madness + taunt.

[STRATEGY COMMENTS]
Other Options
=============

* Will-O-Wisp + 3 attacks can also be ran to allow Mimikyu to heavily cripple its checks like Mega Scizor and Mega Metagross, which would otherwise give it a difficult time.
* Lum Berry can be used to prevent status, notably burn from being induced at the expense of damage output.
* Substitute can be ran to allow Mimikyu to maintain its Disguise for a longer period of time, allowing it to set up easier.

Checks and Counters
===================

**Celesteela and Skarmory**: These a much larger threat to any Mimikyu set other than Ghostium Z, as even after +2, Celesteela can avoid the 2HKO and kill with Heavy Slam. Much like Celesteela, Skarmory can take most +2 Shadow Claws from a Mimikyu without Ghostium Z. Skarmory can also whirlwind Mimikyu out if it hasn't already set up its Swords Dance.

**Mega Scizor**: Due to its exceptional Bulk it can switch into Mimikyu prior to setting up with little to no fear, bar Will-O-Wisp, and threaten it out or Bullet Punch it for the kill.
just make one section of "steel types" and add ferro and magearna there too.

**Toxapex**: call this bulky water-types and add Fini can also prove troublesome if Mimikyu has not yet set up to +2 and does not have Ghostium Z or Life Orb. It can also click a combination of Scald and Recover to burn Mimikyu and maintain a healthy state if it is not the Substitute set.

**Mega Venusaur**: Much like Toxapex, it can deal with Mimikyu as long as it is not at +2, while also being capable of breaking Mimikyu's Substitute 100% of the time.

**Choice Scarf Tapu Lele**: call this Faster Attacker and add some large portion of threats like Kartana, gren, koko, scarf lele and mention how this pokemon are solely revenge killers as most of then cannot switch into mimikyu's attacks threatens Mimikyu once its Disguise has been busted. Shadow Sneak cannot be used due to Psychic Room, and can easily OHKO with any of the moves in its arsenal.
alright man implement all this and QC 2/3:toast:

Adding on to checks and counters.

Choice Scarf Excadrill can outspeed and OHKO Mimikyu through it's Disguise thanks to Mold Breaker. :]

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)