National Dex Mew's Mischievous Spiking Shenanigans - Gen 8 National Dex HO

:ss/mew: :ss/bisharp: :ss/landorus-therian: :ss/gyarados-mega: :ss/serperior: :ss/garchomp:

INTRODUCTION:

Hello! This is my 3rd RMT, and probably one of my more unique builds. I've always loved HO as a playstyle, and often when checking out tiers, I look for HOs first. Seeing all kinds of offensive threats stacked one on top of the other is just so mesmerizing to me. However, it does lead to kind of a problem - I quickly lose interest after I've gotten used to the threats available. But, on the flip side, it means that I tend to look beyond common established norms (which isn't necessarily a good thing, but it makes building a little more fun). As of lately specifically, I've been straying away from the concept of a dedicated lead for HO. Very rarely can you always lead the same thing and end up making effective progress, but, as many of these leads require Focus Sashes to feasibly make the progress they want (and considering the opponent is likely getting up rocks as well,) it means that there's a high chance that the mon basically goes without an item. Furthermore, it's not always possible to reliably punish Defog without getting U-Turned on, or hit with something like a stab attack, or a status move that cripples your ability to exert pressure on the opponent. A dedicated lead has just too many flaws in my opinion in theory and practice. This team showcases 2 mons that tend to set hazards, often functioning as dedicated leads, and while their hazard-setting skills are still on showcase, they are not dedicated leads. They have the ability to come in later in the game and effectively exert pressure at their own pace.

BUILDING PROCESS:

:mew:

Mew was the mon I started with, with an atypical set to boot: NP 2a. The final moveslot was occupied by Spikes, a unique tool for a setup mon.

:mew: :bisharp:

Bisharp synergizes incredibly with Mew, between punishing defog, providing speed control, checking Weavile well, and breaking through common specially defensive mons as well as mons that Mew has trouble breaking, like Unaware Clefable, Slowbro and Heatran after an SD.

:mew: :bisharp: :landorus-therian:

Landorus Therian once again proving itself to be slappable on so many teams, providing a valuable electric and ground immunity, in addition to Stealth Rocks, and a nuke in the form of Supersonic Skystrike.

:mew: :bisharp: :landorus-therian: :gyarados-mega:

Mega Gyarados is important on this team as it provides some speed control after a DD, outspeeding most of the unboosted metagame. It also has great defensive utility, providing this team with a solid check to Ash Greninja.

:mew: :bisharp: :landorus-therian: :gyarados-mega: :serperior:

Serp is insane on HO, fast, strong, and puts the opponent in a defensive position. Additionally, a lot of things that "check" Serp often either fall after it's boosted enough, or end up pretty weakened after it's down.

:mew: :bisharp: :landorus-therian: :gyarados-mega: :serperior: :volcarona:

I initially had Volcarona here, don't remember why, I think I just wanted smth else to piss off Ferro.

:mew: :bisharp: :landorus-therian: :gyarados-mega: :serperior: :garchomp:

I then changed it to Garchomp, as this team did really poorly against opposing Volcarona. Although, truth be told, I don't really like stacking the Weavile weaknesses on this team...

THE SETS:

:ss/mew: @ :red-card:

Mew @ Red Card
Ability: Synchronize
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Nasty Plot
- Psyshock
- Ice Beam
- Spikes

The mon I built around, I got the idea for this set after seeing how NP and DD variants of Mew are used in SSOU. Now, Mew itself is a mediocre setup mon, due to it's middling offenses, but Spikes means that even your multiple answers are being pressured now. Psyshock is used over Psychic to hit specially defensive mons like Gastro and the blobs, while Ice Beam tears apart Landorus and Gliscor. Red Card can be a variety of items, but it allows you to annoy things further with spikes. You can try things like Lum Berry, Twistedspoon, Mental Herb, Z Crystals, etc, although I haven't tested all of those.

:ss/bisharp: @ :life-orb:

Bisharp @ Life Orb
Ability: Defiant
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Knock Off
- Iron Head
- Sucker Punch

Bisharp, as previously stated, synergizes incredibly with Mew. With EVs that maximize it's offensive potential, it has Swords Dance to bring it even further. Sucker Punch adds some very appreciated speed control to the team, Knock Off adds utility in knocking off the items of some annyoing mons for this team, like Tapu Fini, and Iron Head is a great secondary STAB that hits many dark resists hard, like Clefable and the Tapus. A Life Orb is used to increase damage output, however, again, you can try other items, like Z Crystals, Blackglasses or Shuca Berry, although I don't know how effective they would be.

:ss/landorus-therian: @ :flyinium-z:

Landorus-Therian (M) @ Flyinium Z
Ability: Intimidate
Jolly Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Swords Dance
- Earthquake
- Fly

As stated, Landorus fufills a lot of roles here, with it's 2 valuable immunities, it gives us not only a solid SD user with 2 very threatening STABs, but Stealth Rocks as well, which stack with Mew's Spikes to make the opponent's checks to the various offensive threats here even weaker than they were before. Flyinium Z is used here as a nuke against Ground immunes like Gliscor, opposing Landorus, Mega Latias, and Mega Charizard Y. If you wish to give another Pokémon a Z Crystal, you're likely best off going Sash Explosion here, as most other items would likely only be useful in niche scenarios anyways, that a Sash is probably your best bet anyways.

:ss/gyarados-mega: @ :gyaradosite:

Gyarados-Mega @ Gyaradosite
Jolly Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Waterfall
- Crunch
- Power Whip

Mega Gyarados lowers the opponent's attack with Intimidate before Mega Evolving, which in conjunction with Mega Gyarados' amazing bulk, allows you to find various setup opportunities throughout a match. Gyarados packs 2 STAB moves, and a killer coverage move in Power Whip, which has effectively the same base power as a third STAB move, allowing you to dismantle threats like Tapu Fini.

:ss/serperior: @ :rocky-helmet:

Serperior @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Contrary
Timid Nature
- Leaf Storm
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Taunt
- Glare

Serperior is capable of breaking through some threats that this team has difficulties against, namely, seriously annoying stall. Unaware Pokemon and blobs are stopped cold by Taunt, and in addition, it helps this team more reliably break Ferrothorn. Glare allows us to slow down faster threats, a blessing on a team like this which is, admittedly, kind of slow. Rocky Helmet means things like Landorus can't spam U-Turn, blobs can't click Seismic Toss too much, and Urshifu can't be too trigger-happy with it's STABs.

:ss/garchomp: @ :life-orb:

Garchomp @ Life Orb
Ability: Rough Skin
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Earthquake
- Scale Shot
- Fire Fang

Last mon here, Garchomp compresses some roles here, such as another Ferrothorn answer, another ground, a speed-booster, and a check to Volcarona, who'd normally eat this team up for breakfast. Life Orb is used to deal the extra damage and to OHKO Volcarona after some chip. However, I would be totally down for an alternative, as it makes this build very Weavile-weak, as you effectively need to keep either Gyarados or Bish healthy, likely the former, as Bish really wants to come in early in the game.

WEAKNESSES:

:ss/weavile:

As previously mentioned, this team has 4 mons that die to Weavile, and the 2 that don't aren't exactly mons that can't be broken through, either, nor do they like being saved. Furthermore, the rare Low Kick Weavile basically solos this entire team.

:ss/corviknight:

Mew fails to threaten Corv well, and Body Press variants can't even be effectively punished well by Bisharp. It can be worn down, but it's not an easy matchup.

:ss/sableye-mega:

The Stall MU is rough on this team should Serperior be effectively played around, and even if not, Leaf Storm only has so much PP.

IMPORTABLE:

https://pokepast.es/ac9361e0924aee72

SpaceSpeakers

eeny mine moe
is a Tiering Contributor
nice team but this set is better imo
:ss/Serperior:
Serperior @ Leftovers
Timid Nature
- Leaf Storm
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Substitute
- Glare

nice team but this set is better imo
:ss/Serperior:
Serperior @ Leftovers
Timid Nature
- Leaf Storm
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Substitute
- Glare
I prefer Taunt Glare because you can 1v1 stuff like Unaware Clefable (huge for ho) and make it so other mons can't set up on you

Also the EVs for Sub Serp are 56 HP 200 Spa and 252 Spe

adem

yap
is a Tutoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Hi Jawsome, this is a really cool team, I am definitely a big fan of these non-passive leads, really cool (ill be stealing this idea)! Although, there are a few weaknesses mentioned, which I feel some can be mitigated with some minor edits, and possibly turn this into a different direction with the same idea.

OK I HAVE REALISED MID WRITING THAT RED CARD DOES NOT WORK ON KO

:dp/mew:
Mew @ Red Card -> Focus Sash
Timid Nature
- Nasty Plot
- Psyshock
- Ice Beam -> Thunder Wave
- Spikes

OK red card insanely sucks on this and definitely does not help the Volc matchup, since they just QD and OHKO you, Focus Sash however lets you plot up in a 1v1 and OHKO it back with Shock, which does like 75% to BulkyRona and OHKOes OffVolc cleanly, solving that issue. If you try TWave over Ice Beam, you get the ability to cripple both Weavile and Volc (while still beating the latter, but even better since you dont risk a Speed tie), but you trade in the instant threatening power on Grounds and cant really break Corv, although TWaving it (and other stuff on Stall like Clef and Lati) is big for your teammates. You also lose the power to bop through Mega Sableye, which means you are fully hard walled by it which is unfortunate, and unlike Unaware Clefale you cant just Spike on it further.

+2 252 SpA Mew Ice Beam vs. 252 HP / 88 SpD Corviknight: 170-200 (42.5 - 50%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Leftovers recovery (It cant touch you, just plot again!)

:bw/landorus-therian:
Jolly Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Swords Dance -> Smack Down
- Earthquake
- Fly -> Smack Down

NGL Maybe its just me, but im really not a fan of SD Lando currently unless your SD bulky / sash boom or some funny stuff, otherwise I dont really think you're getting the SD off as much and would much rather just Boom or keep your Lando. Smack Down on the other hand is really cool, letting you threaten stuff like Corv and Skarm, both looking at you like free pivot ot setup food. (I have realised dropping SD might be a bit more bleh than dropping fly, so changed the order of preference) Another interesting option is dropping Fly and Fly Z for Smack Down and Ground Z instead, keeping SD. Looking at teams now, you dont see much actual Ground "resists" barring Serp, which is a poor one in this context since it gets sent to jannah by SD + EQ / SD + Z EQ, while also making stuff like Mega Latias easier to break through (Smack Down on Switch into Z Ground is a roll to OHKO after rocks, so non Ice Beam variants are fucked, Fly does not get this roll) Looking back at this, I think this change is probably better than SD to Smack, so I would suggest this more.

252 Atk Landorus-Therian Tectonic Rage (180 BP) vs. 248 HP / 8 Def Latias-Mega: 271-319 (74.6 - 87.8%) -- 6.3% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock gone

:bw/gyarados:
Jolly Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Waterfall
- Crunch
- Power Whip -> Earthquake

Honestly im really not big on Whip here, all it does is hit Fini and like IG OHKO Quag? IDK, but nothing here really cares about Fini being gone that much, bar like IDK Volc? But with the HStack, the chip its taking from Volc already, and the fact that Moon only does like 50 to MGyara, and 30 to Base, and you 2HKO with Mega + EQ, at +1, I am sure you dont need Whip, and EQ helps with removing Pex for Bish and the next change....

+1 252 Atk Mold Breaker Gyarados-Mega Earthquake vs. 252 HP / 16 Def Tapu Fini: 163-192 (47.3 - 55.8%) -- 21.5% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery bop

:dp/garchomp:
Garchomp @ Life Orb
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Earthquake
- Scale Shot

- Fire Fang
to
:bw/volcarona:
Volcarona @ Heavy-Duty Boots
Ability: Flame Body
Modest Nature
- Quiver Dance
- Bug Buzz
- Flamethrower
- Hidden Power [Ground]

Okay hear me out, but this team is NOT REALLY Volc weak, like trust me, you just have to know how to play this MU, and generally, win first. Volc sets up on nothing on the team for free, yes, both Bish and Serp are forced out, but you can Taunt and Glare it with Serp, and (if you're already SD-ed you can Sucker it with Bish, or outright KOff it to prevent a QD. Winning before it is more than possible, and worst come worst, you have your own Volc to war + MGyara short term, trust me, its fine. Anyways, Volc here shores up the Weavile MU for the team and also with HP Ground remove any Tran for your Serp, with all the Pex pressure, IDT Psychic is that needed.

:xy/serperior:
Serperior @ Rocky Helmet
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe -> EVs: 232 HP / 24 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Leaf Storm
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Taunt
- Glare

I think a bulkier spread for Serp might want to be considered here, since with this IMO you probably are gonna be switching into stuff like Kart a lot, and just generally being a soft defensive check to things + spread para, and the bulk helps with that. IDK what it does but it does something cool, its a SM spread so feel free to update but it might still work. If you still value the SpAt then its fine, its not that big of a deal since the mon doesnt exactly have Pex level defensive capabilities lol, but would suggest you try it out.

Overall, the team is super cool, and I am definitely building a version of this, and I think with these changes it'll function better, and should have hopefully solved the issues you had with it! TY for sharing this, this was a fun rate^^

Hi Jawsome, this is a really cool team, I am definitely a big fan of these non-passive leads, really cool (ill be stealing this idea)! Although, there are a few weaknesses mentioned, which I feel some can be mitigated with some minor edits, and possibly turn this into a different direction with the same idea.

OK I HAVE REALISED MID WRITING THAT RED CARD DOES NOT WORK ON KO

:dp/mew:
Mew @ Red Card -> Focus Sash
Timid Nature
- Nasty Plot
- Psyshock
- Ice Beam -> Thunder Wave
- Spikes

OK red card insanely sucks on this and definitely does not help the Volc matchup, since they just QD and OHKO you, Focus Sash however lets you plot up in a 1v1 and OHKO it back with Shock, which does like 75% to BulkyRona and OHKOes OffVolc cleanly, solving that issue. If you try TWave over Ice Beam, you get the ability to cripple both Weavile and Volc (while still beating the latter, but even better since you dont risk a Speed tie), but you trade in the instant threatening power on Grounds and cant really break Corv, although TWaving it (and other stuff on Stall like Clef and Lati) is big for your teammates. You also lose the power to bop through Mega Sableye, which means you are fully hard walled by it which is unfortunate, and unlike Unaware Clefale you cant just Spike on it further.

+2 252 SpA Mew Ice Beam vs. 252 HP / 88 SpD Corviknight: 170-200 (42.5 - 50%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Leftovers recovery (It cant touch you, just plot again!)

:bw/landorus-therian:
Jolly Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Swords Dance -> Smack Down
- Earthquake
- Fly -> Smack Down

NGL Maybe its just me, but im really not a fan of SD Lando currently unless your SD bulky / sash boom or some funny stuff, otherwise I dont really think you're getting the SD off as much and would much rather just Boom or keep your Lando. Smack Down on the other hand is really cool, letting you threaten stuff like Corv and Skarm, both looking at you like free pivot ot setup food. (I have realised dropping SD might be a bit more bleh than dropping fly, so changed the order of preference) Another interesting option is dropping Fly and Fly Z for Smack Down and Ground Z instead, keeping SD. Looking at teams now, you dont see much actual Ground "resists" barring Serp, which is a poor one in this context since it gets sent to jannah by SD + EQ / SD + Z EQ, while also making stuff like Mega Latias easier to break through (Smack Down on Switch into Z Ground is a roll to OHKO after rocks, so non Ice Beam variants are fucked, Fly does not get this roll) Looking back at this, I think this change is probably better than SD to Smack, so I would suggest this more.

252 Atk Landorus-Therian Tectonic Rage (180 BP) vs. 248 HP / 8 Def Latias-Mega: 271-319 (74.6 - 87.8%) -- 6.3% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock gone

:bw/gyarados:
Jolly Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Waterfall
- Crunch
- Power Whip -> Earthquake

Honestly im really not big on Whip here, all it does is hit Fini and like IG OHKO Quag? IDK, but nothing here really cares about Fini being gone that much, bar like IDK Volc? But with the HStack, the chip its taking from Volc already, and the fact that Moon only does like 50 to MGyara, and 30 to Base, and you 2HKO with Mega + EQ, at +1, I am sure you dont need Whip, and EQ helps with removing Pex for Bish and the next change....

+1 252 Atk Mold Breaker Gyarados-Mega Earthquake vs. 252 HP / 16 Def Tapu Fini: 163-192 (47.3 - 55.8%) -- 21.5% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery bop

:dp/garchomp:
Garchomp @ Life Orb
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Earthquake
- Scale Shot

- Fire Fang
to
:bw/volcarona:
Volcarona @ Heavy-Duty Boots
Ability: Flame Body
Modest Nature
- Quiver Dance
- Bug Buzz
- Flamethrower
- Hidden Power [Ground]

Okay hear me out, but this team is NOT REALLY Volc weak, like trust me, you just have to know how to play this MU, and generally, win first. Volc sets up on nothing on the team for free, yes, both Bish and Serp are forced out, but you can Taunt and Glare it with Serp, and (if you're already SD-ed you can Sucker it with Bish, or outright KOff it to prevent a QD. Winning before it is more than possible, and worst come worst, you have your own Volc to war + MGyara short term, trust me, its fine. Anyways, Volc here shores up the Weavile MU for the team and also with HP Ground remove any Tran for your Serp, with all the Pex pressure, IDT Psychic is that needed.

:xy/serperior:
Serperior @ Rocky Helmet
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe -> EVs: 232 HP / 24 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Leaf Storm
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Taunt
- Glare

I think a bulkier spread for Serp might want to be considered here, since with this IMO you probably are gonna be switching into stuff like Kart a lot, and just generally being a soft defensive check to things + spread para, and the bulk helps with that. IDK what it does but it does something cool, its a SM spread so feel free to update but it might still work. If you still value the SpAt then its fine, its not that big of a deal since the mon doesnt exactly have Pex level defensive capabilities lol, but would suggest you try it out.

Overall, the team is super cool, and I am definitely building a version of this, and I think with these changes it'll function better, and should have hopefully solved the issues you had with it! TY for sharing this, this was a fun rate^^

Ty for the rate! Btw, do you think I could go timid Volcarona over modest here? I prefer timid mainly for outspeeding scarf Lele, although if there's like an important calc or smth that makes modest worth it, then I'll stick w/ it, but I just wanna know if timid would be okay.

adem

yap
is a Tutoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Ty for the rate! Btw, do you think I could go timid Volcarona over modest here? I prefer timid mainly for outspeeding scarf Lele, although if there's like an important calc or smth that makes modest worth it, then I'll stick w/ it, but I just wanna know if timid would be okay.
Timid is fine as well, I understand why, IDT theres any notable relevant calcs, probably just better damage on things like Heatran unboosted, otherwise its fine.

Giyu

Love is the most twisted curse of them all
is a Site Content Manageris a Forum Moderatoris a Contributor to Smogon
+1 252 SpA Volcarona Hidden Power Ground vs. 252 HP / 136+ SpD Heatran: 308-364 (79.7 - 94.3%) -- 43.8% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock

+1 252+ SpA Volcarona Hidden Power Ground vs. 252 HP / 136+ SpD Heatran: 340-400 (88 - 103.6%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock

prevents an unfortunate toxic

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)