Gen 8 Mew Deception Lead (peak rank 19)

Sharing this team as the gen is almost over and it performed the best for me by far (1911 elo whereas I generally hover in the 1700-1800 range with any other team). Also to share my theory that there is a Mew set that can fit on any given team and adapt to any meta.

C52D4B06-F529-45B7-981D-DC88B2EDE0A8.jpeg

https://pokepast.es/d72908e028e33239

The Mew is the only really original thing on this team so I’ll focus mostly on that.

I came up with it because I was running a team with a standard lead Mew set and realized people very often pick their lead with the assumption I will lead Mew. Thus, this team is meant to bait “countermeasures” that scarf Mew can catch off-guard.

The aura sphere OHKOs Weavile (very common lead when they see Mew), Bisharp (if no sash), and Kartana (if Kartana is scarf, Mew lives the knock off and kills it). There is also a scarf Obstagoon lead going around for some reason and its too free. It does decent chip into Heatran, Melmetal, Ferro, and Magnezone as well.

The ice beam hits spdef Lando and Garchomp for 75+ and if they’re not invested it of course OHKOs (my favorite is scarf Lando users that assume they can uturn for free). It outspeeds Dragonite even after a ddance and OHKOs if multiscale is broken, or also can live one hit and 2HKO it. Its also very useful into Rillaboom and Zapdos, and sometimes can catch a Tornadus switch in for a 2HKO.

The psychic kills Urshifu (they always try to uturn instead of hard switching for some reason), 2HKOs Toxapex, and can revenge +2 Hawlucha if Mew lives the 37% acrobatics roll. It also outspeeds LO Nidoking even after you’ve lost the scarf so that matchup is pretty free if you play it well. Otherwise it is just decent STAB.

I also generally manage to trick the scarf in every battle. It can cause massive problems for stall, and is also very satisfying to give it to a HO sweeper and have them click CM/SD with it lol. You can trick it on the HO Mew lead and they usually get stuck on a taunt and have to switch, and you should always trick if there is a Hatterene (especially on Trick Room teams), as even if they don’t lead Hatterene they will invariably switch it in. Against stall it is useful to trick it onto anything, although I prefer to get it on Clef if I can.

The other kind of unique thing here is the custap spdef Seismitoad which can give massive problems to Lele, Specs Pult, and Blacephalon. The best thing is that they generally bring it within custap range after 2 hits so you can make great use of the item. It also shuts down Volcanion, flip turn swampert, and the ever annoying Rotom-W. I use Toad pretty recklessly to make as much progress as possible, unless there is an Eleki or rain team, in which case I’m very careful with it. If I see a Dragapult, I tend to lead toad over mew and click knock off if they go pult. Even if it uturns you get to take an item off something and also scout if it’s band, specs, or DD based on the uturn damage.

I like Twave Melmetal as it can catch Corviknight on the switch and flinch it down, and paralysis is very good in general. This thing really is broken and lives so many hits that it has no business living. I use it as a wallbreaker, status spreader, and a middle finger to Clefable.

I had Skarmory as my defensive tank but Magnezone is everywhere right now so I switched to Zapdos, which I’m pretty happy with. Static paralyzes way more than 30% of the time (as with every 30% interaction in this game). It has been worth losing the toxic immunity I think. I had whirlwind on Skarm which was incredibly useful, but chose toxic on Zapdos in that moveslot because its better vs Lando and opposing Zapdos.

Spdef trapper Heatran is pretty standard — I like taunt over toxic for stopping teleport escapes and stall breaking in general. I also went protect over toxic because protect is just so damn useful vs choice attackers, plus it gives more leftovers recovery, helps kill weather/terrain/trick room turns, etc.

Scarf Buzzwole is my main sweeper, I love this thing. It also serves as a secondary def tank in a pinch. I generally play with a plan of trying to eliminate Buzz’s counters and sweep from there. Its not always bad to get the scarf knocked off, as it can create better sweeping opportunities.

I dont have any momentum moves on this team as my playstyle is very double-switch heavy. I recommend in general to try playing without u-turn/teleport for a while as it can help develop your switching skills (and then when you go back to momentum moves they'll be even more useful). Having Zapdos also means that you can catch some paras on people’s uturns and even scare them into hard-switching. For example Tornadus, one of the best pivots, is significantly more manageable with Zapdos there.

Sorry I’m not very good with formatting and such but I hope this is sufficient. Hope y’all enjoy and would love to hear about some original Mew sets that you’ve used.

Proof of peak (I am Anibunnysomoney):

6C7D03FD-F638-4F6A-8BBF-C127E818B61E.jpeg

Last edited:
I also experimented with scarf lead mew a little, and although it seems gimmicky it puts in a surprising amount of work. Why didnt you go with the physical set (Same coverage with CC, Triple Axle, Zen HB, but does more to spdef Heatran, Garchomp and the like)?

Congrats on your peak!

I went to bed last night and fought of useing this mew set (I shouldn’t take credit for your work tho)
https://pokepast.es/f26a2d9c6f316d3d like this one but a Sp att mew is very nice I might play a few games with this team
(l love teams that dont use mega Pokémon sets) but amazing team

Last edited:
I also experimented with scarf lead mew a little, and although it seems gimmicky it puts in a surprising amount of work. Why didnt you go with the physical set (Same coverage with CC, Triple Axle, Zen HB, but does more to spdef Heatran, Garchomp and the like)?

Congrats on your peak!

Congrats on your peak!
I did try a physical version for a while and it was just not as reliable. The main reasons are urshifu (hits for about 75% instead of guaranteed OHKO), Kartana (also about 75), and to a lesser extent Hawlucha (usually runs grassy or electric seed which raises def). Also Triple Axel can miss, as well as giving zapdos 3 chances to paralyze you. I do sometimes wish I went physical vs certain matchups (heatran is a tough one for my team, especially if air balloon), but after many iterations this was my final set (I also had one with endeavor over ice beam but it was too inconsistent).

And thank you! I really wanted to push for top 10 but ran into some very tough opponents at the top lol

I went to bed last night and fought of useing this mew set (I shouldn’t take credit for your work tho)
https://pokepast.es/f26a2d9c6f316d3d like this one but a Sp att mew is very nice I might play a few games with this team
(l love teams that dont use mega Pokémon sets) but amazing team
I do think that set can do some serious work, but losing the ability to kill urshifu as well as not OHKOing kartana would be a bit of a dealbreaker for me. This is especially true because you outspeed Urshifu even without the scarf which is a huge plus. The psychic STAB is also more generally useful for poison types and also in neutral endgame scenarios (for example, you’ve killed pelipper and are now facing a barraskewda 1v1 without rain — you will be happy to have the psychic here).

Id love to earthquake heatran with mew though haha

Looks like a fun team :)

If you want an alternative mew spread, you can hit pretty much all the same benchmarks, and live the Hawlucha +2 acro 100% at full, with

76 Def / 236 SpA / 196 Spe

The drop in speed still outpaces lando jolly lando scarfed, and the main KOes hit pretty much the same.

i really really dislike ur lack of immediate pressure as ur stall MU is not good... av king is common on it and it can absorb mew moves and I mean even if you trick blissey or smth else like corv you will struggle to the rest of the team as buzzwole is scarfed, it really will struggle to force any progress. toxicless heatran makes the shed pex or gastro MU a lot worse especially since it will force u out so much. Landing a toxic even on them will be a pain since blissey can be used instead to pretty much haxlessly win against zapdos and toad since they can just be toxic'ed. Melm is pretty much ur sole stall breaker but it will be very veyr bad if you get PP stalled by corviknight, quag, pex, maybe some more.

Looks like a fun team :)

If you want an alternative mew spread, you can hit pretty much all the same benchmarks, and live the Hawlucha +2 acro 100% at full, with

76 Def / 236 SpA / 196 Spe

The drop in speed still outpaces lando jolly lando scarfed, and the main KOes hit pretty much the same.
Funnily enough I originally had 76 def EVs for that exact interaction haha, great minds think alike! I dropped it all from spatk though because I still wanted to outspeed Urshifu without the scarf, and to a lesser extent I cared a bit about the 328 speed tie vs opposing 100 speed mons.

I ended up back with 252/252 because I found that I was learning to handle Hawlucha even without Mew's help (not always but a vast majority of the time) and I wanted that bit of extra damage in the relatively neutral situations where Mew's last job is to try and get as much chip as possible before going down.

i really really dislike ur lack of immediate pressure as ur stall MU is not good... av king is common on it and it can absorb mew moves and I mean even if you trick blissey or smth else like corv you will struggle to the rest of the team as buzzwole is scarfed, it really will struggle to force any progress. toxicless heatran makes the shed pex or gastro MU a lot worse especially since it will force u out so much. Landing a toxic even on them will be a pain since blissey can be used instead to pretty much haxlessly win against zapdos and toad since they can just be toxic'ed. Melm is pretty much ur sole stall breaker but it will be very veyr bad if you get PP stalled by corviknight, quag, pex, maybe some more.
Yeah the stall MU takes a lot of patience but I do manage to beat it more often than not. I usually get a scarf on the king, and find the AV set much easier to handle than the trick set. Its mostly a lot of double switching, baiting in the melmetal check for a twave, and making enough progress with trick and melmetal to open up some heatran traps. The thing with Blissey is that its very easy to double on the anticipation for it so it ends up being used against it's own team quite often, especially once the item is gone.

Yeah the stall MU takes a lot of patience but I do manage to beat it more often than not. I usually get a scarf on the king, and find the AV set much easier to handle than the trick set. Its mostly a lot of double switching, baiting in the melmetal check for a twave, and making enough progress with trick and melmetal to open up some heatran traps. The thing with Blissey is that its very easy to double on the anticipation for it so it ends up being used against it's own team quite often, especially once the item is gone.
If you get a scarf on king that sure sucks... but its not like it loses to anything new now.. like zapdos can get annoying but you threaten sludge bomb poisons as usual. Melm vs corv is a rough 1v1 esp if u end up wasting DIB PP and now its walled by gastrodon or pretty much any water ype... ive beaten many melm with corv

If you get a scarf on king that sure sucks... but its not like it loses to anything new now.. like zapdos can get annoying but you threaten sludge bomb poisons as usual. Melm vs corv is a rough 1v1 esp if u end up wasting DIB PP and now its walled by gastrodon or pretty much any water ype... ive beaten many melm with corv
You don’t have to kill Corv with Mel, you just need to chip it a little to force a roost and hard heatran on that turn. Slowking also struggles into heatran even with earthquake, especially with scarf. Really most of my stall matchups come down to if most of my magma storms hit or not. Just gotta make good doubles to force an error. If I play vs stall and they run a perfect game, yes I’ll probably lose, but that’s the case with any opponent. I’d say I have something close to a 65-70% win rate vs stall. This team’s main struggles come from fighting balance teams actually in my experience

You don’t have to kill Corv with Mel, you just need to chip it a little to force a roost and hard heatran on that turn. Slowking also struggles into heatran even with earthquake, especially with scarf. Really most of my stall matchups come down to if most of my magma storms hit or not. Just gotta make good doubles to force an error. If I play vs stall and they run a perfect game, yes I’ll probably lose, but that’s the case with any opponent. I’d say I have something close to a 65-70% win rate vs stall. This team’s main struggles come from fighting balance teams actually in my experience
tran kinda gets rekt by gastrodon... its just a combination of member on a stall team that absolutely own you

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)