Format Discussion Metronome Battle

Something I've kind of been wondering about the steel memory ban if it was a just a consistency thing among banning all of the steel types or if there was a different reason the OM leaders decided to ban it after it had been around for as long as it had been.

Something I've kind of been wondering about the steel memory ban if it was a just a consistency thing among banning all of the steel types or if there was a different reason the OM leaders decided to ban it after it had been around for as long as it had been.
its probably because an item swap/steal move or ability would allow a silvally to bypass the steel type ban.

its probably because an item swap/steal move or ability would allow a silvally to bypass the steel type ban.
Item swapping doesn't really work with form interactions, but it was known for a while that you could hold the Steel Memory manually but it didn't really affect the meta because it forced you to give up an item and ability to use and was not intuitive, so it was left alone. In the end it was noticed again later and the change went through for consistency's sake.

I have topped the ladder with an elo of 1602 after using a team nearly identical to that of GooberGamer's double Guzzlords. GooberGamer had discovered the double Guzzlord with the Fur Coat suspect allowing it to become used again team and demonstrated just how dominant it was by placing 3 of his accounts at the top of the ladder consecutively. Sometime later fur coat was banned so the presence of the Guzzlords died out. I stopped grinding the ladder for a month and just last week I decided to start playing metronome battles again just a week ago and came up with an original imposter Blissey team which had been the most successful team I had ever used placing me as high as 1545. However, it never went higher than that and stayed mostly in the low 1500s. During the quest to find a team that could reliably get me to the #1 spot on the ladder, I remembered just how dominant GooberGamer's Guzzlords were and thought that there still had to be some viability to them, even without Fur Coat, and as it turns out, I was right.

Today literally less than an hour ago, I put Guzzlords team in my team builder and tweaked two things to account for the absence of fur coat. First, I swapped out Fur Coat for Dauntless Shield, and to make up for the lost defensive presence, I changed the nature to Relaxed instead of sassy. I decided to test run this team and proceeded to win the next 20 battles to launch me from 1450 to 1602. It took me less than an hour to top the ladder with this team, and it is still undefeated, showing how the Guzzlords can still be extremely reliable even with the major nerf.

Guzzlord @ Weakness Policy
Ability: Dauntless Shield
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Def / 252 SpA / 252 SpD
Relaxed Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Metronome

Relaxed Nature
- Metronome

1648924248827.png

Last edited:
I have topped the ladder with an elo of 1602 after using a team nearly identical to that of GooberGamer's double Guzzlords. GooberGamer had discovered the double Guzzlord with the Fur Coat suspect allowing it to become used again team and demonstrated just how dominant it was by placing 3 of his accounts at the top of the ladder consecutively. Sometime later fur coat was banned so the presence of the Guzzlords died out. I stopped grinding the ladder for a month and just last week I decided to start playing metronome battles again just a week ago and came up with an original imposter Blissey team which had been the most successful team I had ever used placing me as high as 1545. However, it never went higher than that and stayed mostly in the low 1500s. During the quest to find a team that could reliably get me to the #1 spot on the ladder, I remembered just how dominant GooberGamer's Guzzlords were and thought that there still had to be some viability to them, even without Fur Coat, and as it turns out, I was right.

Today literally less than an hour ago, I put Guzzlords team in my team builder and tweaked two things to account for the absence of fur coat. First, I swapped out Fur Coat for Dauntless Shield, and to make up for the lost defensive presence, I changed the nature to Relaxed instead of sassy. I decided to test run this team and proceeded to win the next 20 battles to launch me from 1450 to 1602. It took me less than an hour to top the ladder with this team, and it is still undefeated, showing how the Guzzlords can still be extremely reliable even with the major nerf.

Relaxed Nature
- Metronome

Relaxed Nature
- Metronome

Nice work, we did do research on how viable Guzz was post coat and did find it to still be very strong. The main alternatives were of course Dauntless and Fluffy. Using Dauntless gives you less of a Def boost but Fluffy means special teams can do serious damage with fire moves. Overall Fluffy seemed better matchup wise but either way its cool to see Guzz at the top.

As for the Relaxed/Sassy situation... Sassy is definitely better when you are doubling the Def stat, and that seemed to be true for Dauntless too but it was very close. I prefer to run Sassy to help with the troublesome Ampharos MU personally.

EDIT: I should have posted earlier but TTarTo1600Elo is my alt lol

Happy April! This month marks the 4th anniversary of the Metronome Battle format being added to Pokemon Showdown. Here are the usage stats for the month of March, with Fluffy freed and Fur Coat forced back out.

The battle count has stayed pretty solid at 84712 battles, expectedly lowering a bit from the peak of the suspect test but still relatively strong.

https://www.smogon.com/stats/2022-03/gen8metronomebattle-1630.txt
https://www.smogon.com/stats/2022-03/moveset/gen8metronomebattle-1630.txt

1630 Top 10 + last month positions:
#1: Mega Venusaur (#3)
#2: Mega Heracross (no change)
#3: Necturna (#7)
#4: Mega Sableye (#8)
#5: Blissey (#4)
#6: Glastrier (#11)
#7: Mega Ampharos (#5)
#8: Guzzlord (#1)
#9: Dusclops (#10)
#10: Dragapult (#15)

As the long days of the Fur Coat suspect test pass us by, Mega Venusaur retakes the top spot from Guzzlord. It still maintains a respectable top 10 spot, punching above its raw usage of 3273, and doesn't even need Fluffy or Fur Coat to be a threat as shown in the posts above. Heracross was knocked down from its prime position since the beginning of the year, but is still highest in raw uses. The bulky statboost archetype has really gotten a spotlight with the recent focus on boosting defenses, marking the rise of Necturna and return of Glastrier. However, just past the top 10, frailer mons are making a comeback after Fur Coat's fall with Dragapult making a return and Mega Gengar, Mega Gallade, Hisuian Zoroark (#4 raw uses), Mew, and Mega Banette falling through places 11-15. As for other hyped Hisui additions, Enamorus-Therian falls to #21 and Ursaluna is sitting at #28, though in general the Legends mons are still doing well in raw uses as this is one of the only places to see them in. Incidentally, the Decidueyes are next to each other.

The most prominent and majority of Pokemon taking Fluffy are Guzzlord and Hydreigon, about almost always with Weakness Policy for the classic combo. There are a few other majority users below like Goodra and Xurkitree, and higher mons that sometimes take it like Tyranitar and Dragonite, but otherwise it hasn't really taken over the usage stats again like last month. It looks like these mons can mostly afford the extra Fire weakness thanks to natural resistances and generally high stats, but otherwise it might be too harsh a drawback to take on paper for frailer choices, especially to fit in with other top mons like Flower Veil/Grass/Ice bulky statboost or Mega Heracross which would stack natural weaknesses, or forcing a Primordial Sea partner to block Fire while alive. Time will tell how it all balances out in practice.

As for viability ceilings (highest GXE that a Pokemon was used with), they're a bit sparser this time compared to the past couple months. Mega Venusaur and Volcanion share 81 while Chromera and Mega Slowbro take 80, and going down to 79 we see Dusclops, Dragonite, Pokestar UFO, and Mega Sableye. Despite usage rankings, Heracross and Necturna only hit 77, so I guess you could say something about how long and/or consistently which mons that the peak players are using and how it differs from the general success. Out of curiosity, the lowest viability ceiling is Mimikyu-Totem at 50, at least for these weighted stats. Looking at the unweighted data, the list of Pokemon expands and the ultimate dip is at Treecko with 17, closely followed by Wooloo at 19. Now that's dedication to using your favourites. Surveying other stats, the highest average weight is base Venusaur (0.424513817199/139 uses), which means that there's probably not that many people using it, but whoever is using it might have an alright glicko rating. Following up are Hydreigon, Dhelmise, and Pichu (designated Shedinja sacrifice) in the 0.3s, further examples of the state of bulky statboosters. Thanks for your reading.

Last edited:
Does anyone know the odds of rolling each type (water, grass etc) of attacking move? I wanna know how valuable it is to resist certain types
Pokemon Showdown!'s /ms command exists for a reason.
/ms !status,normal:
Bind, Body Slam, Boomburst, Covet, Crush Claw, Crush Grip, Cut, Double Hit, Double-Edge, Echoed Voice, and 57 more. Redo the search with ', all' at the end to show all results.
/ms !status,fighting:
Arm Thrust, Aura Sphere, Body Press, Brick Break, Circle Throw, Close Combat, Counter, Cross Chop, Double Kick, Drain Punch, and 28 more. Redo the search with ', all' at the end to show all results.
/ms !status,fire:
Blast Burn, Blaze Kick, Blue Flare, Burn Up, Burning Jealousy, Ember, Eruption, Fiery Dance, Fire Blast, Fire Fang, and 27 more. Redo the search with ', all' at the end to show all results.
/ms !status,grass:
Absorb, Apple Acid, Branch Poke, Bullet Seed, Drum Beating, Energy Ball, Frenzy Plant, G-Max Drum Solo, G-Max Sweetness, G-Max Tartness, and 25 more. Redo the search with ', all' at the end to show all results.
/ms !status,water:
Aqua Jet, Aqua Tail, Brine, Bubble Beam, Crabhammer, Dive, Fishious Rend, Flip Turn, G-Max Cannonade, G-Max Foam Burst, and 24 more. Redo the search with ', all' at the end to show all results.
/ms !status,electric:
Aura Wheel, Bolt Beak, Bolt Strike, Charge Beam, Discharge, Electro Ball, Electroweb, Fusion Bolt, G-Max Stun Shock, G-Max Volt Crash, Max Lightning, Nuzzle, Overdrive, Parabolic Charge, Plasma Fists, Rising Voltage, Shock Wave, Spark, Thunder, Thunder Cage, Thunder Fang, Thunder Punch, Thunder Shock, Thunderbolt, Volt Switch, Volt Tackle, Wild Charge, Zap Cannon, Zing Zap
(29 moves)
/ms !status,dark:
Assurance, Beat Up, Bite, Brutal Swing, Crunch, Dark Pulse, Darkest Lariat, False Surrender, Fiery Wrath, Fling, Foul Play, G-Max One Blow, G-Max Snooze, Jaw Lock, Knock Off, Lash Out, Max Darkness, Night Daze, Night Slash, Payback, Power Trip, Snarl, Sucker Punch, Thief, Throat Chop, Wicked Blow
(26 moves)
/ms !status,steel:
Anchor Shot, Behemoth Bash, Behemoth Blade, Bullet Punch, Doom Desire, Double Iron Bash, Flash Cannon, G-Max Meltdown, G-Max Steelsurge, Gear Grind, Gyro Ball, Heavy Slam, Iron Head, Iron Tail, Max Steelspike, Metal Burst, Metal Claw, Meteor Mash, Smart Strike, Steel Beam, Steel Roller, Steel Wing, Sunsteel Strike
(23 moves)
/ms !status,psychic:
Confusion, Dream Eater, Eerie Spell, Expanding Force, Extrasensory, Freezing Glare, Future Sight, G-Max Gravitas, Luster Purge, Max Mindstorm, Mirror Coat, Mist Ball, Photon Geyser, Prismatic Laser, Psybeam, Psychic, Psychic Fangs, Psycho Cut, Psyshock, Psystrike, Stored Power, Zen Headbutt
(22 moves)
/ms !status,dragon:
Breaking Swipe, Clanging Scales, Core Enforcer, Draco Meteor, Dragon Breath, Dragon Claw, Dragon Darts, Dragon Energy, Dragon Hammer, Dragon Pulse, Dragon Rush, Dragon Tail, Dual Chop, Dynamax Cannon, Eternabeam, G-Max Depletion, Max Wyrmwind, Outrage, Roar of Time, Scale Shot, Spacial Rend, Twister
(22 moves)
/ms !status,ice:
Aurora Beam, Avalanche, Blizzard, Freeze Shock, Freeze-Dry, Frost Breath, G-Max Resonance, Glacial Lance, Glaciate, Ice Beam, Ice Burn, Ice Fang, Ice Punch, Ice Shard, Icicle Crash, Icicle Spear, Icy Wind, Max Hailstorm, Powder Snow, Sheer Cold, Triple Axel
(21 moves)
/ms !status,ground:
Bone Rush, Bonemerang, Bulldoze, Dig, Drill Run, Earth Power, Earthquake, Fissure, G-Max Sandblast, High Horsepower, Land's Wrath, Max Quake, Mud Shot, Mud-Slap, Precipice Blades, Sand Tomb, Scorching Sands, Stomping Tantrum, Thousand Arrows, Thousand Waves
(20 moves)
/ms !status,flying:
Acrobatics, Aerial Ace, Aeroblast, Air Cutter, Air Slash, Bounce, Brave Bird, Dragon Ascent, Drill Peck, Dual Wingbeat, Fly, G-Max Wind Rage, Gust, Hurricane, Max Airstream, Oblivion Wing, Peck, Pluck, Sky Attack, Wing Attack
(20 moves)
/ms !status,poison:
Acid, Acid Spray, Belch, Clear Smog, Cross Poison, G-Max Malodor, Gunk Shot, Max Ooze, Poison Fang, Poison Jab, Poison Sting, Poison Tail, Shell Side Arm, Sludge, Sludge Bomb, Sludge Wave, Smog, Venoshock
(18 moves)
/ms !status,bug:
Attack Order, Bug Bite, Bug Buzz, Fell Stinger, First Impression, Fury Cutter, G-Max Befuddle, Infestation, Leech Life, Lunge, Max Flutterby, Megahorn, Pin Missile, Pollen Puff, Skitter Smack, Struggle Bug, U-turn, X-Scissor
(18 moves)
/ms !status,ghost:
Astonish, Astral Barrage, G-Max Terror, Hex, Lick, Max Phantasm, Moongeist Beam, Night Shade, Phantom Force, Poltergeist, Shadow Ball, Shadow Bone, Shadow Claw, Shadow Force, Shadow Punch, Shadow Sneak, Spectral Thief, Spirit Shackle
(18 moves)
/ms !status,rock:
Accelerock, Ancient Power, Diamond Storm, G-Max Volcalith, Head Smash, Max Rockfall, Meteor Beam, Power Gem, Rock Blast, Rock Slide, Rock Throw, Rock Tomb, Rock Wrecker, Rollout, Smack Down, Stone Edge
(16 moves)
/ms !status,fairy:
Dazzling Gleam, Disarming Voice, Draining Kiss, Fairy Wind, Fleur Cannon, G-Max Finale, G-Max Smite, Max Starfall, Misty Explosion, Moonblast, Nature's Madness, Play Rough, Spirit Break, Strange Steam
(14 moves)
Unfortunately, this counts moves that do direct damage or can't be selected by metronome. Do you want me to manually remove them from this post?

Does anyone know the odds of rolling each type (water, grass etc) of attacking move? I wanna know how valuable it is to resist certain types
The most common move types that target enemies are:
#1 Normal 90 16%
#2 Grass 32 6%
#3 Fighting 31 6%
#4 Fire 30 5%
#5 Psychic 29 5%
#6 Water 26 5%
#7 Dark 25 5%
#8 Electric 25 5%
#9 Poison 22 4%
#10 Flying 19 3%
#11 Bug 17 3%
#12 Ghost 16 3%
#13 Ice 16 3%
#14 Ground 16 3%
#15 Steel 15 3%
#16 Dragon 15 3%
#17 Rock 14 3%
#18 Fairy 11 2%

This is all metronome moves that target opponents, not just damaging moves but should help give you a ballpark.

i love using these two
Code:
The Wizard (Pokestar Brycen-Man) (M) @ Choice Specs 
Ability: Competitive 
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Def / 252 SpA / 252 SpD / 252 Spe 
Quiet Nature 
- Metronome 

The Monk (Pokestar Black Belt) (M) @ Choice Band 
Ability: Defiant 
Brave Nature 
- Metronome
granted, they're exact clones of the Mew builds, but like half of everyone i face comments on the fact that they're humans, while the other half flat-out pause for a bit before starting. granted that might just be because they now noticed they're in a fight, but i like to think they're dumbfounded

you can probably do the same thing (more efficiently) with other Pokestars though, like, this duo dies if either one rolls Misty Explosion. like I could probably swap The Monk for Pokestar Humanoid or Pokestar Giant and just call it The Wizard's Minion or something

A team I started to use recently:

https://pokepast.es/df26fc6d382cce5a

A variation of the double Mew / double Manaphy strategy, with two Pokestar UFO (Electric/Flying) and changing Defiant for Delta Stream. The idea is that Electric/Flying and Normal/Flying mons have zero weaknesses under Strong Winds, which at least sounds cool. There are no bulky Normal/Flying mons (not even preevos with Eviolite), Rotom-Fan has low HP, and Zapdos is less bulkier than UFO. Emolga lol.

I don't know the balance between physical and special moves, so I'm not sure if it is better to replace Defiant or Competitive. You can even try to replace the second one for something useful like Magic Bounce or Friend Guard, ofc.

A variation of the double Mew / double Manaphy strategy, with two Pokestar UFO (Electric/Flying) and changing Defiant for Delta Stream. The idea is that Electric/Flying and Normal/Flying mons have zero weaknesses under Strong Winds, which at least sounds cool. There are no bulky Normal/Flying mons (not even preevos with Eviolite), Rotom-Fan has low HP, and Zapdos is less bulkier than UFO. Emolga lol.

I don't know the balance between physical and special moves, so I'm not sure if it is better to replace Defiant or Competitive. You can even try to replace the second one for something useful like Magic Bounce or Friend Guard, ofc.
I've been using the UFOs for quite a while, usually Delta/Aerilate or Delta/Intrepid. They work fairly well but get walled by stall teams and murdered by HO. Metro, it turns out, punishes half measures. There is another flying type bulky enough to run these sets in Dragonite, but that mon works better with double banded Intrepid. Enamorus-Thicc Forme (I forget which is which) also works on paper but Pixilate is a better fit for it.

https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8metronomebattle-1565958507
Another weird occurrence that I can't figure out an explanation to in this game. On turn 8, my opponents Necturna uses Healing Wish, which we all know fails since there is no Pokemon to switch in. However, after the move fails, the Necturna dies anyways.
It does seem that self sacrifice moves now make the user faint even when there are no valid switches, Lunar Dance did the same to me today.

May the 2nd be with you. Here are the usage stats for the month of April, 4 years after the original in 2018. How far we have come from the days of Pokestar Spirit, Steel-types, and Blissey and Marshadow in the top 10. This post will be a shorter one as I haven't really been playing for myself lately, but it's nice to see discussion still going on and teams being shared.

The battle count has declined a bit from last month, but is still relatively high with 78798 battles as we move into the northern summer months.

https://www.smogon.com/stats/2022-04/gen8metronomebattle-1630.txt
https://www.smogon.com/stats/2022-04/moveset/gen8metronomebattle-1630.txt

Fun fact: The pokemon with the longest name in these stats is Basculin-White-Striped with 22 characters, displacing the columns by 4 spaces.

1630 Top 10 + last month positions:
#1: Mega Venusaur (no change)
#2: Mega Heracross (no change)
#3: Necturna (no change)
#4: Guzzlord (#8)
#5: Mega Sableye (#4)
#6: Mega Gengar (#11)
#7: Dusclops (#9)
#8: Mega Ampharos (#7)
#9: Dragapult (#10)
#10: Type: Null (#16)

Not much has changed with the top overall, though Guzzlord has earned a place as a major player now even as we near the end of Gen 8's legacy. Shoutouts to Scrubdown Showlord, SpeedySebas, and GooberGamer for their innovative insight on this ultra beast, and I also want to shout out fwqef for posting the first mention of Guzzlord (using Friend Guard) back in 2019 when it was still Gen 7 and the unranked ladder's future was uncertain.

Ghosts may account for half of the top 10, but Venusaur and Heracross still take the lead, with Heracross actually winning in raw uses but Venusaur's performance weighs it over into 1st. Necturna's consistent high placing implies that the sample teams are still seeing successful usage. Guzzlord has proven that it doesn't need Fur Coat to still be a threat with Dauntless Shield as posted earlier, and Gengar and Type: Null have returned from beyond the top 10 while Glastrier and Blissey are knocked out again. Incidentally, Hisuian Zoroark isn't listed, but is still the 5th top most used mon at 11052 uses, the last above the 10k mark along with Heracross/Venusaur/Sableye/Gengar before Blissey's 9602, so it's probably more common to encounter randomly despite how it's represented here, but is just weighed down to #18 because its usage may come from more lower rated players.

Over in the moveset file, the viability ceilings (highest GXE that a Pokemon was used with) peak at 80 with Mega Heracross, Dusclops, and Snorlax, followed by Mega Venusaur and Type: Null at 79, and Glastrier and Hydreigon at 78. It's not new but I like how Bright Powder on Sableye is still winning at 40% as the defensive item of choice, followed by Sablenite and Leppa Berry, and only after being weighted. Magic Bounce and Sablenite still has the most raw uses, and also the default Naughty is highest raw but Sassy overtakes it when weighted. It goes to show that a little effort goes a long way. Speed lowering natures are still prevalent despite the possible advantage in mirror matches, though Rash and Hasty are prominent with Gengar and Dragapult respectively, with Hardy in second for both. I guess the thought is that you may as well minmax and take advantage of the high speed as much as you can with these mons. Speaking of which, Gengar and Sableye are actually the highest weighted teammates for each other. Most of the other top picks are classic dittos or combos (Venusaur/Necturna, Type: Null/Dusclops), but Dragapult with its usual interesting variety ends up with Basculegion barely above Sableye in weighted stats and Wailord as the most common teammate in raw stats.

EDIT:
I added some quick replies as well.

i love using these two
Code:
The Wizard (Pokestar Brycen-Man) (M) @ Choice Specs
Ability: Competitive
Quiet Nature
- Metronome

The Monk (Pokestar Black Belt) (M) @ Choice Band
Ability: Defiant
Brave Nature
- Metronome
granted, they're exact clones of the Mew builds, but like half of everyone i face comments on the fact that they're humans, while the other half flat-out pause for a bit before starting. granted that might just be because they now noticed they're in a fight, but i like to think they're dumbfounded

you can probably do the same thing (more efficiently) with other Pokestars though, like, this duo dies if either one rolls Misty Explosion. like I could probably swap The Monk for Pokestar Humanoid or Pokestar Giant and just call it The Wizard's Minion or something
It's always fun to talk about flavour and nicknames especially with the pokestars.

I like the idea of bulky consistency with no weaknesses, but sometimes in practice I find that it can get tough if the Delta Stream user goes down, and there's also the debate of what items and abilities you want to go with without the handy out of Weakness Policy which can be less consistent.

The most common move types that target enemies are:
#1 Normal 90 16%
#2 Grass 32 6%
#3 Fighting 31 6%
#4 Fire 30 5%
#5 Psychic 29 5%
#6 Water 26 5%
#7 Dark 25 5%
#8 Electric 25 5%
#9 Poison 22 4%
#10 Flying 19 3%
#11 Bug 17 3%
#12 Ghost 16 3%
#13 Ice 16 3%
#14 Ground 16 3%
#15 Steel 15 3%
#16 Dragon 15 3%
#17 Rock 14 3%
#18 Fairy 11 2%

This is all metronome moves that target opponents, not just damaging moves but should help give you a ballpark.
This really puts it into perspective of how prevalent Normal is compared to every other move, and also how the next top few types actually have possible immunities that can work together.

https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8metronomebattle-1565958507
Another weird occurrence that I can't figure out an explanation to in this game. On turn 8, my opponents Necturna uses Healing Wish, which we all know fails since there is no Pokemon to switch in. However, after the move fails, the Necturna dies anyways.
I would repost this to bug reports if they haven't seen it yet.

Is there any particular reason why Metronome doesn't have infinite PP for this format? Leppa Berry is cool, but having to eventually use Struggle just seems lame.
I think it was just made that way because it was simplest to just use the Metronome move from the rest of PS as is, and I can appreciate the dynamic of endgame situations and losing turns being potentially useful to save PP. 16 PP is also a nice balanced number as well and matches end in a reasonable time for it. An Infinite Imposter Blissey would be kind of terrifying without its tradeoffs. (EDIT: Or Lucky Punch Chansey for the 50% criticals, or just Eviolite Chansey for the ultimate combination of HP and bulk.)

Last edited:
Rules
This is a Custom Game based format with even fewer restrictions than BH in terms of legality.
Point of the format is that you can use anything that isn’t broken, as it’s based on Custom Game. Personally I prefer that everything not broken is legal, because it provides a lot more in terms of viability, with mons such as Pokestar UFO, Necturna, Chromera, and H-Zoroark all being fun and viable additions to the meta.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 2)