Project Metagame Workshop

Well on the topic of stat changes..
WEAKLINGS
Metagame premise: At the end of each turn, Pokemon with lowered stats faint.
Potential bans and threats:
:corviknight: Mirror Armor essentially flips the premise of the metagame on its head rather than deal with it, so that's likely banned.
:masquerain: Sticky Webs makes switching out infinitely harder without losing a mon or making your whole team immune, so that's likely banned as well.
:centiskorch: Contrary, Clear Body, Mist, Covert Cloak and White Smoke are powerful as a result of preventing lowered stats from existing.
:cloyster: Setup sweepers become generally less viable as all it takes now is a lowered stat stage to get rid of them.
:eevee: Charm, Sand Attack, Confide, etc. all have extra use in potentially being OHKO moves. This also makes Magic Bounce more appealing.
:lurantis: If Contrary, Clear Body, and White Smoke stay, moves like Skill Swap or Entrainment could see extra use as they get rid of these strong defensive traits.
Slow pivots can be way more useful, allowing you to have your stats lowered, but then get that effectively removed at the end of the turn.
Questions for the community: Are abilities like Clear Body and Contrary too overpowered, or potentially necessary? What about Mist, I'd think that might be bannable? Does this even sound fun? I think the potential for being able to run a bunch of really weird sets is fun, but this meta could also be very prone to having 1 little mistake result in a loss immediately, so there's that.

Well on the topic of stat changes..
WEAKLINGS
Metagame premise: At the end of each turn, Pokemon with lowered stats faint.
:corviknight: Mirror Armor essentially flips the premise of the metagame on its head rather than deal with it, so that's likely banned.
:masquerain: Sticky Webs makes switching out infinitely harder without losing a mon or making your whole team immune, so that's likely banned as well.
:centiskorch: Contrary, Clear Body, Mist, Covert Cloak and White Smoke are powerful as a result of preventing lowered stats from existing.
:cloyster: Setup sweepers become generally less viable as all it takes now is a lowered stat stage to get rid of them.
:eevee: Charm, Sand Attack, Confide, etc. all have extra use in potentially being OHKO moves. This also makes Magic Bounce more appealing.
:lurantis: If Contrary, Clear Body, and White Smoke stay, moves like Skill Swap or Entrainment could see extra use as they get rid of these strong defensive traits.
Slow pivots can be way more useful, allowing you to have your stats lowered, but then get that effectively removed at the end of the turn.
Questions for the community: Are abilities like Clear Body and Contrary too overpowered, or potentially necessary? What about Mist, I'd think that might be bannable? Does this even sound fun? I think the potential for being able to run a bunch of really weird sets is fun, but this meta could also be very prone to having 1 little mistake result in a loss immediately, so there's that.
I feel like in a way this is just a faster the losers game with each person spamming swaggers and parting shots and intimidate.

Yeah this wouldn't be interesting to play, is the same as saying "OU with set up moves banned", is not the kind of stuff people play OMs for.
Thanks for that input, I was unsure about the level of restrictiveness this idea had. The main idea was almost only based on a lot of high tier mons utilizing setup moves and boosting moves, and I felt a meta without those could flourish. I do understand why that wouldn’t be fun however.

Wes8888

Goon of the OM variety
is a Pre-Contributor
I had an idea
I call it: Monotype but cooler (I'll think of a better name later)
Premise: the pokemon in slot 1 replaces the primary type of all other pokemon on the team with it's primary type. For example, let's just say there is a Squirtle in slot one and a Charmander in slot two. Since Squirtle's primary type is water, Charmander's type changes to water. If they have a secondary type, then they keep it. For example, let's say squirtle is slot one and gholdengo is slot two, then since gholdengo is a steel/ghost type it would become a water/ghost type. If the primary type is the same as the secondary one, like gengar in slot one replacing gholdengo's steel type with ghost, then the pokemon becomes single-typed.

Increased viability:

Steel-types :gholdengo:
Given all steel's resistances, you could easily create a team with defensive type combos to resist almost anything

Ghost-types :gengar:
Given the great neutral coverage of the ghost type, this could create good stab combos for offensive teams.

Ground and Fighting-types :great-tusk:
Similarly to ghost, these types could give offensive teams good stab coverage as well as defensive utility in the case of ground

Pokemon with good secondary types :iron-valiant: :kingambit:
Pokemon with good secondary types already can take advantage of the mechanic by gaining new potentially unresisted stab combos (ie ghost/fighting Iron Valiant) or eliminate old weaknesses (ie flying/steel or ghost/steel kingambit)

Decreased viability: I can't really think of much. If a mon has a not so good primary type like grass or bug, just don't put it in slot one. I guess pokemon with bad coverage could have trouble taking advantage of the new stabs they could get.

I'd love to hear feedback on this so lmk what y'all think

Last edited:

Wes8888

Goon of the OM variety
is a Pre-Contributor
I had an idea
Premise: the pokemon in slot 1 replaces the primary type of all other pokemon on the team with it's primary type. For example, let's just say there is a Squirtle in slot one and a Charmander in slot two. Since Squirtle's primary type is water, Charmander's type changes to water. If they have a secondary type, then they keep it. For example, let's say squirtle is slot one and gholdengo is slot two, then since gholdengo is a steel/ghost type it would become a water/ghost type. If the primary type is the same as the secondary one, like gengar in slot one replacing gholdengo's steel type with ghost, then the pokemon becomes single-typed.

Increased viability:

Given all steel's resistances, you could easily create a team with defensive type combos to resist almost anything

Given the great neutral coverage of the ghost type, this could create good stab combos for offensive teams.

Similarly to ghost, these types could give offensive teams good stab coverage as well as defensive utility in the case of ground

Decreased viability: I can't really think of much. If a mon has a not so good primary type like grass or bug, just don't put it in slot one. I guess pokemon with bad coverage could have trouble taking advantage of the new stabs they could get.

Forgot to mention bans
I'm gonna make this ou based so anything in ubers is banned.

Terastalization: seems like it might defeat the point of the meta

Last edited:

KaenSoul

Shared:Power Little Knight
is a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a member of the Battle Simulator Staff
Community Leader
I had an idea

Increased viability:

Pokemon with good secondary types :iron-valiant: :kingambit:
Pokemon with good secondary types already can take advantage of the mechanic by gaining new potentially unresisted stab combos (ie ghost/fighting Iron Valiant) or eliminate old weaknesses (ie flying/steel or ghost/steel kingambit)

This sounds too similar to Tera Donation
https://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/tera-donation.3715801/
They do have clear differences, but their niches seem just too similar, as a twist of monotype to allow mons that wouldn't usually fit in the same team.
Forgot to mention bans
I'm gonna make this ou based so anything in ubers is banned.

Terastalization: seems like it might defeat the point of the meta
OM should be independent of any other format, following a standard tier or similar for the starting banlist is fine, but that doesn't mean you have to make them identical, if any uber would fit with the powerlevel of the format then is not different from any other mon.

Wes8888

Goon of the OM variety
is a Pre-Contributor
OM should be independent of any other format, following a standard tier or similar for the starting banlist is fine, but that doesn't mean you have to make them identical, if any uber would fit with the powerlevel of the format then is not different from any other mon.
And yeah I did intend to just use it as a starting point

Mew Madness
The premise is simple. The only pokemon allowed is Mew. The species clause is removed. Six mew vs six mew.
Sample team:https://pokepast.es/b910032a0d56168c
Extra rules: You must name all your pokemon different names to avoid confusion.
Overly-restrictive metagames like "you can only use this one mon" are commonly rejected.
But since Mew has such a big movepool, I don't think it is overly restrictive.
The rest of the posts are just spitballing.

Tier limit
Only one pokemon allowed from each tier.

Eventmons
You can only use pokemon that come from events

Bountymons
You can use as many ubers mons as you want, but if one faints, you lose.

Last edited:

Wes8888

Goon of the OM variety
is a Pre-Contributor
Mew Madness
The premise is simple. The only pokemon allowed is Mew. The species clause is removed. Six mew vs six mew.
Sample team:https://pokepast.es/b910032a0d56168c
Extra rules: You must name all your pokemon different names to avoid confusion.

But since Mew has such a big movepool, I don't think it is overly restrictive.

Tier limit
Premise:only one pokemon allowed from each tier. Does that include banlists? idk, i just thought of this five seconds ago and thought "sure, why not." as opposed to mew madness, which I came up with quite a while ago, I put absolutely no thought into this, but though I might as well share it.

Eventmons
Premise:you can only use pokemon that come from events
Another one I just came up with
Generally, what most people would want in an OM is a premise that actually changes what the mons can do, like how AAA gives mons access to more abilities, STABmons gives them new moves, and GG gives them new stats, which makes each OM very different from standard play. So at least imo, premises that say "all the mons function the same as standard play except you can only use certain ones" are kinda boring.

DosDogs

I like Cross Evolution
is a Pre-Contributor
due to seeing a previous post about tying PP to HP I decided to brainstorm another way that could work.

Poke Points

What if the amount of PP your moves had affected your HP? This OM does that, treating PP as a sort of "Stamina". Each PP point represents 1% of your normal HP, so a move like Rapid Spin would represent 64% of your HP, making it one of the strongest moves in the game. The reason it is strong is because the way this percentage affects your HP, its a multiplier(I think?), so the combined PP of your moves would change the amount of HP you would really have, BUT as you lose HP you lose PP as well (from 1st slot to 4th), making it act as a stamina of sorts.
Ex.
:sv/great tusk:
Great Tusk @ Leftovers
Ability: Protosynthesis
Tera Type: Ground
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Rapid Spin (64 PP)
- Bulk Up (32 PP)
- Earthquake (16 PP)
- Close Combat (8 PP)

Great Tusk accounts for 120 PP total, meaning Tusk has a 120% multiplier on its HP(rounded down), so its max HP would go from 434 to 520.
First Question for community: Should this multiplier work like Huge Power(as shown above) or should it change the Base Stat of HP(ex. Great Tusks 115 Base Stat changing to 138)?

Strategy
The way this would change the format is that during team building you have to take into account the PP of moves that you are using, so instead of using Headlong Rush I chose to use Earthquake to beaf up the Great Tusk more. But this also means that certain moves get a lot stronger here, like Rapid Spin, Haze, most set-up moves, Hazards, and some status inflicting moves. It also heavily nerfs some moves, like Recovery moves, which only have 8 PP and protect moves, which only have 16PP, meaning Stall teams have to account for this by using higher PP moves.
Ex.
:sv/toxapex:
A normal Toxapex set
Toxapex @ Black Sludge
Ability: Regenerator
Tera Type: Poison
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Bold Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Haze (48 PP)
- Surf (24 PP)
- Recover (8 PP)
- Toxic (16 PP)
this adds up to 96, so it becomes a little less bulky, but what if we changed surf to a move with a lot more PP? Poison Jab and Chilling water both have 32 PP, so toxapex would now be a little more bulky, or it could use Peck for its whopping 56 PP, as a defensive move, which would. change the total PP to 128, meaning Pex's HP would now go from 304 to 389, a strong increase, and it would lose its Peck PP first, meaning its other moves like recover and toxic can be used for longer.

This also makes offensive mons not be able to use the high BP low PP moves as often, and they lose coverage the closer they are to dying, unless they also want to use a high PP move defensively. Set-Up sweepers have a good medium for this, as the set up moves have 32 PP and can be used in slot 1 to keep other options alive for as long as possible. A Roaring Moon with Dragon Dance, Dragon Claw, Acrobatics, and Throat Chop has a total of 104. But a Choice Meowscarada set with Flower Trick, Trick, Knock Off, and Play Rough only has a PP total of 80. making frailer. This meta also makes sash and sturdy very irrelevant, as most of your moves will be unusable.

Clauses: Standard OM's, Sleep Moves Clause, Min Source= Gen9
Pokemon: Annihilape, Arceus, Calyrex-Ice, Calyrex-Shadow, Chi-Yu, Chien-Pao, Dialga, Dialga-Origin, Enamorus-Base, Espathra, Eternatus, Flutter Mane, Giratina, Giratina-Origin, Groudon, Iron Bundle, Komala, Koraidon, Kyogre, Landorus-Base, Magearna, Mewtwo, Miraidon, Palafin, Palkia, Palkia-Origin, Rayquaza, Regieleki, Spectrier, Zacian, Zacian-Crowned, Zamazenta-Crowned
Abilities: Arena Trap, Moody, Shadow Tag
Moves: Baton Pass, Last Respects, Shed Tail
Items: Kings Rock
Treats:
Spinners are going to be hard to take down, especially Great Tusk. Certain stall mons might be too strong.

Other Questions:
Is this just gonna be OU but mons have slightly different/less HP? because a lot of moves only have 16/24 PP, and a lot of strong moves only have 8 PP.
Should the ratio of PP to HP be higher? Like 1 PP = 1.5-2% of HP?
Would this be fun to build? I think it's interesting but I will build for almost anything so that's not a great indicator.

IMakeNoSense

hey it's that one guy who makes art
is a Pre-Contributor
Power Ceiling
(really can't think of anything good for a name)
Metagame Premise:
Moves that boost stats lose those effects!

This means that a status move that only boosts a stat fails if used(or is just banned, whatever's easier), and moves with raised stats as an effect keep the rest of the move the same. Abilities and items that boost stats are unaffected, unless they actively increase a stat stage.
Examples:
Quiver Dance and Dragon Dance would not work at all
Flame Charge, Fiery Dance, and Ancient Power would be incapable of boosting the stat, but would still do damage.
Guts and Quick Feet would still boost the Pokemon's stats, since they multiply the stat by a certain amount. However, Speed Boost and Moxie would not boost, since they explicitly raise the stat by 1 stage.

Questions for the Community:
Is there any better name for this?(please help I'm so uncreative with names)

Would a protosynthesis boost be looped in with the intrepid sword category or the guts category? For me it seems like it is more like guts, but it might be more closely programmed with stat-stage raising abils.

Should all stat stage changes be completely removed? This would mean a whole different meta and could be worth trying, but for now I feel just raises should be removed.

If stat stage drops are also removed, how would balancing be different?

Is this too restrictive of a format? Also, since I was too lazy to fully check, has this idea been brought up before, and how can I improve it?

BTW, Contrary is a weird thing, i'm airing on the side of disable any boosts from contrary, but there might be something easier. Honestly, it could just be banned but please lmk what your opinions are.

I can't help but feel like this is a metagame that just doesn't sound fun to play in the slightest. This feels more like a restriction than anything, and I don't think it fits with the other more mechanic-diverse metagames of what we have now. Power Ceiling (cool name by the way) seems very restrictive, as you said in your Q&A. If this were approved, I would never play it (no hard feelings), as I see OMs not as a way to restrict what you can do with Vanilla Pokemon battling, but how you can change the rules you already know about Vanilla to make it feel unique and, in a sense, a fresh way of playing Pokemon. The same logic for some Pokemon being better than others in say OU won't necessarily apply the same if the metagame proves that there's better options, like how you wouldn't normally consider Kilowattrel to be meta-defining in most metagames, but its downright bannable in Mix and Mega, or strong when it gets a better ability in AAA, et cetera.

Anyway. Sorry if this sounded negative, just giving my thoughts

Diverse Game

The rules are simple. This is a metagame in which a mon can use 6 moves.
Sleep Talk works similarly calls the first three moves on ur moveset.

My question to community is whether the name of the metagame capitalize on the way the game is played?

This makes almost every mons better.

take for instance valiant.

Iron Valiant @ Choice Specs
Ability: Quark Drive
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Tera Type: Fairy
Timid Nature
- Moonblast
- Psyshock
- Shadow Ball
- Thunderbolt
- Focus Blast
- Trick

It has a ton of utility options.

or this mon....

Great Tusk @ Rocky Helmet
- Rapid Spin
- Knock Off
- Earthquake
- Body Press
- Rest
- Sleep Talk

- Rapid Spin
- Knock Off
- Earthquake
- Body Press
- Stealth Rock
- Ice Spinner

I am doubtfull about resttalk since it might make the meta a lot slower but then again in this meta offense gets a ton better so resttalk helps defense to be viable. If offense becomes too much the meta will become unfun. Thats my conundrum with how sleep talk works.

Kingambit @ Leftovers
Ability: Supreme Overlord
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Iron Head
- Kowtow Cleave
- Sucker Punch
- Low Kick
- Tera Blast

Have a suspicion this mon might be ludicrous with sd tera fairy or resttalk sd :|
Strategy

The metagame becomes a lot more bulkier. Being a defensive mon with no reliable recoverydoesnt matter as much when restalk is fine . Moves like focus blast thunder hydro pump blizzard etc... become more viable thanks to sleeptalk helping in PP department aswell as hitting the bulkier overall meta. The slowing of meta is much needed as offense becomes really hard to deal with. Mons with single turn recovery become even better as they dont need to waste two slots for recovery.

My current watchlist are zamazenta hero, kingambit, Sneasler,

Imho all current UBERs are even more broken.

Pokemon: Annihilape, Arceus, Calyrex-Ice, Calyrex-Shadow, Chi-Yu, Chien-Pao, Dialga, Dialga-Origin, Enamorus-Base, Espathra, Eternatus, Flutter Mane, Giratina, Giratina-Origin, Groudon, Iron Bundle, Komala, Koraidon, Kyogre, Landorus-Base, Magearna, Mewtwo, Miraidon, Palafin, Palkia, Palkia-Origin, Rayquaza, Regieleki, Spectrier, Zacian, Zacian-Crowned, Zamazenta-Crowned,Volcarona, Urshifu-Rapid Strike, Urshifu- Single strike

I would love to know how you guys think about this one. Please let me know if you guys think this is good/bad idea .

Sorry if the formatting is not the best. I am still understanding how this works.

IMakeNoSense

is a Pre-Contributor
Diverse Game

My question to community is whether the name of the metagame capitalize on the way the game is played?

Timid Nature
- Moonblast
- Psyshock
- Shadow Ball
- Thunderbolt
- Focus Blast
- Trick

or this mon....

- Rapid Spin
- Knock Off
- Earthquake
- Body Press
- Rest
- Sleep Talk

- Rapid Spin
- Knock Off
- Earthquake
- Body Press
- Stealth Rock
- Ice Spinner

I am doubtfull about resttalk since it might make the meta a lot slower but then again in this meta offense gets a ton better so resttalk helps defense to be viable. If offense becomes too much the meta will become unfun. Thats my conundrum with how sleep talk works.

Kingambit @ Leftovers
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Iron Head
- Kowtow Cleave
- Sucker Punch
- Low Kick
- Tera Blast

Have a suspicion this mon might be ludicrous with sd tera fairy or resttalk sd :|
Strategy

The metagame becomes a lot more bulkier. Being a defensive mon with no reliable recoverydoesnt matter as much when restalk is fine . Moves like focus blast thunder hydro pump blizzard etc... become more viable thanks to sleeptalk helping in PP department aswell as hitting the bulkier overall meta. The slowing of meta is much needed as offense becomes really hard to deal with. Mons with single turn recovery become even better as they dont need to waste two slots for recovery.

Pokemon: Annihilape, Arceus, Calyrex-Ice, Calyrex-Shadow, Chi-Yu, Chien-Pao, Dialga, Dialga-Origin, Enamorus-Base, Espathra, Eternatus, Flutter Mane, Giratina, Giratina-Origin, Groudon, Iron Bundle, Komala, Koraidon, Kyogre, Landorus-Base, Magearna, Mewtwo, Miraidon, Palafin, Palkia, Palkia-Origin, Rayquaza, Regieleki, Spectrier, Zacian, Zacian-Crowned, Zamazenta-Crowned,Volcarona, Urshifu-Rapid Strike, Urshifu- Single strike

I would love to know how you guys think about this one. Please let me know if you guys think this is good/bad idea .

Sorry if the formatting is not the best. I am still understanding how this works.
Missed opportunity to call the OM "One Mon Army"

Diverse Game

Timid Nature
- Moonblast
- Psyshock
- Shadow Ball
- Thunderbolt
- Focus Blast
- Trick

or this mon....

- Rapid Spin
- Knock Off
- Earthquake
- Body Press
- Rest
- Sleep Talk

- Rapid Spin
- Knock Off
- Earthquake
- Body Press
- Stealth Rock
- Ice Spinner

Kingambit @ Leftovers
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Iron Head
- Kowtow Cleave
- Sucker Punch
- Low Kick
- Tera Blast

Strategy

Formats with more moves just get bland after a while. These kind of formats that just increase moveslots are usually rejected.

KarpeChan

Banned deucer.
TAG TEAM SINGLES (TTS)
Intro stolen from last gen's thread
This is TTS! The unholy blending of 1v1 and 2v2! Like 2v2 Doubles, this is a bring-4-pick-2 metagame. Unlike 2v2 Doubles and similarly to 1v1, however, battles take place in singles format. And unlike either of those formats, Tag Team Singles includes switching, a mechanic oft-forgotten by 1v1 and 2v2 mains. Battles are short but often very strategic, with players having to carefully consider which mons their opponent will pick and how to play around possible combos. It had been a blast last gen as I had a bunch of experience playing it including winning (by act) the TTS kickoffs as well as quite a few games on the OMOTM ladder. Building TTS retains a sense of familiarity with 1v1 and 2v2 Doubles while maintainging its uniqueness in the builder with an extra layer of complexity to account for. Tag Team Singles is not a 3-turn interaction but rather a mini-game on its own.

Mechanic: Bring 4 Pokemon at Team Preview, pick 2 to battle; Singles.

Changes from last gen: The Pokemon in the back was not revealed last gen, which I believe is fine as is. However, revealing the second could also be considered. Unfortunately, it had fairly low play counts as OMOTM last gen, maybe a ladder tour would help improve its popularity?

Clauses: Standard OMs, Sleep Moves clause, Terastal Clause
Bans: Focus Sash, Focus Band, Arceus, Calyrex-I, Calyrex-S, Chi-Yu, Dialga, Dialga-O, Eternatus, Giratina, Giratina-O, Groudon, Koraidon, Kyogre, Magearna, Mewtwo, Miraidon, Palkia, Palkia-O, Rayquaza, Zacian, Zacian-C, Zamazenta-C
On the Radar: Annihilape, Baton pass, Flutter Mane, Iron Bundle, Zamazenta

Team Captains

Premise: The Pokémon in the first slot on your team is considered your "Team Captain." This produces the following effects:
  1. All other Pokémon on your team are able to run moves from your team captain's movepool, in addition to their own movepool (This does not mean that the team captain has to run a specific move in their moveset for the rest of your Pokémon to have access to it. If your team captain has access to Trick Room for instance, that means all other Pokémon on your team will also have access to Trick Room if they choose to run it).
  2. The item that the team captain holds affects all of your Pokémon, in addition to the item held by your other Pokémon (For example, if the team captain holds a Rocky Helmet, all other Pokémon on your team receive the benefits of Rocky Helmet, as well as whatever item they hold). The team captain has Sticky Hold in addition to their usual ability, in that their held item cannot be removed or manipulated. As a result, Acrobatics will always do 55 damage, Unburden can never activate, and any other move or ability reliant on held item consumption will not activate for any of your Pokémon.
  3. The team captain receives a boost of some kind, which is outlined in the Questions for the Community section below.

Potential Bans:
  1. Regular OU Clauses.
  2. No Uber Pokémon.
  3. Duplicate Item Clause - Only one of each item (No Rocky Helmet stacking, Choice Band stacking, etc.).
  4. Specific Item Clause for Team Captains - The team captain cannot hold an Eviolite, or a perishable item (i.e., Focus Sash, Sitrus Berry, Air Balloon, Booster Energy, etc.).
  5. Specific Move Clause for Team Captains - The team captain cannot use Fling, Trick, Switcheroo, or any other move which results in the loss or manipulation of their held item.
  6. Team Captain Bans - Pawmot and Rabsca (Due to Revival Blessing), Sneasler (Due to Dire Claw), and Garganacl (Due to Salt Cure).
  7. Ability Bans - Truant and Contrary, as the boosted movepools of Pokémon with these abilities may be too overwhelming.

Potential Strategies:
  1. Hazard Stacking (Team Captain: Glimmora w/ Rocky Helmet) - All Pokémon on your team will have access to Spikes, Toxic Spikes, Stealth Rock, and Mortal Spin. Additionally, Rocky Helmet perpetually punishes Rapid Spin.
  2. Boosted Movepool (Team Captain: Mew w/ Leftovers) - Mew's movepool is given to every other Pokémon on your team, making it hard to predict what each Pokémon will utilize. In addition, each Pokémon will receive HP from Leftovers as well as the benefits of their own item.
  3. Hyper Offense (Team Captain: Arcanine-Hisui w/ Choice Scarf) - All Pokémon on your team will have access to Extreme Speed, as well as a Choice Scarf in addition to their set item. The other Pokémon on your team have access to Choice Band, Choice Specs, Life Orb, etc..
  4. Hyper Defense (Team Captain: Mew w/ Assault Vest) - All Pokémon on your team will have access to Drain Punch, Draining Kiss, Giga Drain, Volt Switch, and U-Turn, as well as the rest of Mew's crazy movepool. Regenerator Pokémon will flourish on a team with built-in Assault Vest, however no Pokémon on your team will be able to use status moves. Samurott-Hisui and Kleavor will definitely get use out of their signature moves.
  5. FEAR (Team Captain: Bramblin w/ Heavy Duty Boots) - This is a super gimmicky option that admittedly loses to a lot of stuff, but it would probably be a lot of fun to use. Bramblin grants Leech Seed, Pain Split, Strength Sap, and Spikes, and gives all of its teammates Heavy-Duty Boots. This entire team would likely be set to level 1.

1. Are there any potentially overpowered aspects of an OM like this that I'm not accounting for?
  2. Should Mew be banned from being team captain due to its extensive movepool?
  3. The team captain gets pretty shafted in this OM without a boost of its own, since all other Pokémon get boosted in some way. As per part 3 of the Premise section, what seems like a fair boost for the team captain?
    1. The team captain has access to the first move of every other Pokémon on the team, allowing for up to 9 moves that the team captain can choose from.
    2. The team captain has access to the movepools of every other Pokémon on the team.
    3. The team captain has an additional type as determined by its Tera-type which cannot match its base type(s). In other words, a dual-type team captain will have three types, or a single-type team captain will have a second type. A boost like this would allow for teams to be built around a team captain, instead of a team captain being built around a team (i.e., A Kingambit team captain doesn't benefit the rest of the team that much per its movepool, but a Dark/Steel/Ghost Kingambit can be very powerful), increasing the versatility of this OM.
    4. The team captain receives a "Shared Power" effect, in that it has the abilities of all other Pokémon on your team.
    5. The team captain receives a +20 boost in each of its stats.
  4. Should defeating the team captain result in a victory, or should beating all Pokémon on the opponent's team result in a victory?

Last edited:
Team Captains
At first I don't hate this idea. The problem is, the more I think about it, the more items I think of that can make this concept problematic.

For example, if your Team Captain has Heavy Duty Boots, your full team is effectively immune to hazards. The fact that this is a possibility would appear to negate hazards as a viable strategy. Similarly, a Focus Sash on your lead effectively gives your entire team the Sturdy ability.

This however is one of the least problematic situations when you have the Gorilla Tactics effect. Galarian Darmanitan was banned to Ubers last generation because its ability Gorilla Tactics effectively gave it a Choice Band, so it could run a Choice Scarf as an item and be locked into one move with both benefits. This is the potential I feel is being set by this concept, being able to run a Choice Scarf on your lead and have a Choice Band/Choice Specs Pokemon have the boost to speed and power.

Additionally, as I was writing this above paragraph, it occurred to me that Booster Energy on the Team Captain could allow an entire team of Paradox mons to be too fast or too strong for anything else to deal with.

The above situations could be resolved by restricting what items can be held by the Pokemon in slot one. However, what I have just listed are a good number of common competitive items that could be perceived as problematic. It is also worth asking questions like "how would berries work? If the Leader and the active Pokemon both have berries that trigger at 25% health, would both trigger at the same time? is that balanced or not?"

As for buffing the team captain, I do not know if that is necessary, or what the correct way to improve that would be. However, should the Team Captain, and their held item, be revealed during Team Preview so that you can choose your lead accordingly to prepare to the strategy at hand? I feel like otherwise the surprise factor of the held item will make it difficult to adapt to certain playstyles until they have already snowballed their way to victory.

Rant over. TL:DR; I think this idea has potential, but needs a few more tweaks before it could be a metagame that is fun to play.

Similarly, a Focus Sash on your lead effectively gives your entire team the Sturdy ability.
Additionally, as I was writing this above paragraph, it occurred to me that Booster Energy on the Team Captain could allow an entire team of Paradox mons to be too fast or too strong for anything else to deal with.
It is also worth asking questions like "how would berries work? If the Leader and the active Pokemon both have berries that trigger at 25% health, would both trigger at the same time? is that balanced or not?"
Berries, Focus Sashes, and Booster Energies would fall under Specific Item Clause for Team Captains, which blocks all perishable items for the exact reasons you mentioned. I honestly had the same thought you had regarding these items so I get that lol. Funny thing is, my concern was the idea that these items would activate multiple times, seeing as the Pokémon never actually "consumes" the item.

However, should the Team Captain, and their held item, be revealed during Team Preview so that you can choose your lead accordingly to prepare to the strategy at hand?
The Team Captain is the Pokémon in the first slot, so you are able to see exactly who the opponent's team captain is. As for revealing their item, I don't see any problem with revealing the Team Captain's held item. This could be done by having an effect like "Frisk" activate when they are sent out.

With regards to certain items being overpowered, such as Heavy-Duty Boots or Choice-locking items, that's a fair point. However, I'd argue that there are workarounds to each; knowing your opponent's entire team is Choice-locked can open paths for setup sweeping, and knowing your opponent's entire team ignores hazards saves you the trouble of setting up. Not to mention, the Duplicate Item Clause would prevent a team of 6 Pokémon from running the same items. Also, we currently have Trademarked as the OM of the Month, in which Pokémon can put moves like Coil, Dragon Dance, and Shift Gear in their ability slot; I feel like this OM would be similar, except to get a Dragon Dance effect you'd effectively need to use Choice Band and Choice Scarf, which locks you into a move unlike in the Trademarked OM.

Furthermore, I feel like playtesting would be required before banning items like Choice Scarf and Heavy-Duty Boots from the Team Captain, as they might be overpowered, but then again they might be perfectly fine for the OM.

However this did give me a thought that I believe would at the very least help with the surprise factor of the Team Captain: Just like how random battles immediately sends out your first Pokémon, this could operate the same way. The Team Captain automatically gets sent out first for both sides, and Frisk activates when the battle starts. This way, you'll know exactly what the opponent's "Team Item" is, and you'll know which Pokémon the opponent's team shares the movepool of.

I appreciate the insight though, especially with the Team Captain item preview which I think would fit very well in this OM!

Team Captains

Premise: The Pokémon in the first slot on your team is considered your "Team Captain." This produces the following effects:
  1. All other Pokémon on your team are able to run moves from your team captain's movepool, in addition to their own movepool (This does not mean that the team captain has to run a specific move in their moveset for the rest of your Pokémon to have access to it. If your team captain has access to Trick Room for instance, that means all other Pokémon on your team will also have access to Trick Room if they choose to run it).
  2. The item that the team captain holds affects all of your Pokémon, in addition to the item held by your other Pokémon (For example, if the team captain holds a Rocky Helmet, all other Pokémon on your team receive the benefits of Rocky Helmet, as well as whatever item they hold). The team captain has Sticky Hold in addition to their usual ability, in that their held item cannot be removed or manipulated. As a result, Acrobatics will always do 55 damage, Unburden can never activate, and any other move or ability reliant on held item consumption will not activate for any of your Pokémon.
  3. The team captain receives a boost of some kind, which is outlined in the Questions for the Community section below.

Potential Bans:
  1. Regular OU Clauses.
  2. No Uber Pokémon.
  3. Duplicate Item Clause - Only one of each item (No Rocky Helmet stacking, Choice Band stacking, etc.).
  4. Specific Item Clause for Team Captains - The team captain cannot hold an Eviolite, or a perishable item (i.e., Focus Sash, Sitrus Berry, Air Balloon, Booster Energy, etc.).
  5. Specific Move Clause for Team Captains - The team captain cannot use Fling, Trick, Switcheroo, or any other move which results in the loss or manipulation of their held item.
  6. Team Captain Bans - Pawmot and Rabsca (Due to Revival Blessing), Sneasler (Due to Dire Claw), and Garganacl (Due to Salt Cure).
  7. Ability Bans - Truant and Contrary, as the boosted movepools of Pokémon with these abilities may be too overwhelming.

Potential Strategies:
  1. Hazard Stacking (Team Captain: Glimmora w/ Rocky Helmet) - All Pokémon on your team will have access to Spikes, Toxic Spikes, Stealth Rock, and Mortal Spin. Additionally, Rocky Helmet perpetually punishes Rapid Spin.
  2. Boosted Movepool (Team Captain: Mew w/ Leftovers) - Mew's movepool is given to every other Pokémon on your team, making it hard to predict what each Pokémon will utilize. In addition, each Pokémon will receive HP from Leftovers as well as the benefits of their own item.
  3. Hyper Offense (Team Captain: Arcanine-Hisui w/ Choice Scarf) - All Pokémon on your team will have access to Extreme Speed, as well as a Choice Scarf in addition to their set item. The other Pokémon on your team have access to Choice Band, Choice Specs, Life Orb, etc..
  4. Hyper Defense (Team Captain: Mew w/ Assault Vest) - All Pokémon on your team will have access to Drain Punch, Draining Kiss, Giga Drain, Volt Switch, and U-Turn, as well as the rest of Mew's crazy movepool. Regenerator Pokémon will flourish on a team with built-in Assault Vest, however no Pokémon on your team will be able to use status moves. Samurott-Hisui and Kleavor will definitely get use out of their signature moves.
  5. FEAR (Team Captain: Bramblin w/ Heavy Duty Boots) - This is a super gimmicky option that admittedly loses to a lot of stuff, but it would probably be a lot of fun to use. Bramblin grants Leech Seed, Pain Split, Strength Sap, and Spikes, and gives all of its teammates Heavy-Duty Boots. This entire team would likely be set to level 1.

1. Are there any potentially overpowered aspects of an OM like this that I'm not accounting for?
  3. The team captain gets pretty shafted in this OM without a boost of its own, since all other Pokémon get boosted in some way. As per part 3 of the Premise section, what seems like a fair boost for the team captain?
    1. The team captain has access to the first move of every other Pokémon on the team, allowing for up to 9 moves that the team captain can choose from.
    2. The team captain has access to the movepools of every other Pokémon on the team.
    3. The team captain has an additional type as determined by its Tera-type which cannot match its base type(s). In other words, a dual-type team captain will have three types, or a single-type team captain will have a second type. A boost like this would allow for teams to be built around a team captain, instead of a team captain being built around a team (i.e., A Kingambit team captain doesn't benefit the rest of the team that much per its movepool, but a Dark/Steel/Ghost Kingambit can be very powerful), increasing the versatility of this OM.
    4. The team captain receives a "Shared Power" effect, in that it has the abilities of all other Pokémon on your team.
  4. Should defeating the team captain result in a victory, or should beating all Pokémon on the opponent's team result in a victory?
This reminds me a lot of the previous-gen OM Follow the Leader, which involves all your Pokemon being able to use your first Pokemon's movepool and possible abilities only (and none of their own). For example, if your first Pokemon is Garganacl, your other 5 Pokemon would all end up with Purifying Salt, Sturdy, and/or Clear Body only (e.g. not Mold Breaker), and all of them could use Salt Cure but not Make It Rain (since the latter is exclusive to not-Garganacl).

KaenSoul

Shared:Power Little Knight
is a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a member of the Battle Simulator Staff
Community Leader
due to seeing a previous post about tying PP to HP I decided to brainstorm another way that could work.

Poke Points

What if the amount of PP your moves had affected your HP? This OM does that, treating PP as a sort of "Stamina". Each PP point represents 1% of your normal HP, so a move like Rapid Spin would represent 64% of your HP, making it one of the strongest moves in the game. The reason it is strong is because the way this percentage affects your HP, its a multiplier(I think?), so the combined PP of your moves would change the amount of HP you would really have, BUT as you lose HP you lose PP as well (from 1st slot to 4th), making it act as a stamina of sorts.
Ex.
:sv/great tusk:
Great Tusk @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Rapid Spin (64 PP)
- Bulk Up (32 PP)
- Earthquake (16 PP)
- Close Combat (8 PP)

Great Tusk accounts for 120 PP total, meaning Tusk has a 120% multiplier on its HP(rounded down), so its max HP would go from 434 to 520.
First Question for community: Should this multiplier work like Huge Power(as shown above) or should it change the Base Stat of HP(ex. Great Tusks 115 Base Stat changing to 138)?

Strategy
The way this would change the format is that during team building you have to take into account the PP of moves that you are using, so instead of using Headlong Rush I chose to use Earthquake to beaf up the Great Tusk more. But this also means that certain moves get a lot stronger here, like Rapid Spin, Haze, most set-up moves, Hazards, and some status inflicting moves. It also heavily nerfs some moves, like Recovery moves, which only have 8 PP and protect moves, which only have 16PP, meaning Stall teams have to account for this by using higher PP moves.
Ex.
:sv/toxapex:
A normal Toxapex set
Toxapex @ Black Sludge
Ability: Regenerator
Tera Type: Poison
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Bold Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Haze (48 PP)
- Surf (24 PP)
- Recover (8 PP)
- Toxic (16 PP)
this adds up to 96, so it becomes a little less bulky, but what if we changed surf to a move with a lot more PP? Poison Jab and Chilling water both have 32 PP, so toxapex would now be a little more bulky, or it could use Peck for its whopping 56 PP, as a defensive move, which would. change the total PP to 128, meaning Pex's HP would now go from 304 to 389, a strong increase, and it would lose its Peck PP first, meaning its other moves like recover and toxic can be used for longer.

This also makes offensive mons not be able to use the high BP low PP moves as often, and they lose coverage the closer they are to dying, unless they also want to use a high PP move defensively. Set-Up sweepers have a good medium for this, as the set up moves have 32 PP and can be used in slot 1 to keep other options alive for as long as possible. A Roaring Moon with Dragon Dance, Dragon Claw, Acrobatics, and Throat Chop has a total of 104. But a Choice Meowscarada set with Flower Trick, Trick, Knock Off, and Play Rough only has a PP total of 80. making frailer. This meta also makes sash and sturdy very irrelevant, as most of your moves will be unusable.

Pokemon: Annihilape, Arceus, Calyrex-Ice, Calyrex-Shadow, Chi-Yu, Chien-Pao, Dialga, Dialga-Origin, Enamorus-Base, Espathra, Eternatus, Flutter Mane, Giratina, Giratina-Origin, Groudon, Iron Bundle, Komala, Koraidon, Kyogre, Landorus-Base, Magearna, Mewtwo, Miraidon, Palafin, Palkia, Palkia-Origin, Rayquaza, Regieleki, Spectrier, Zacian, Zacian-Crowned, Zamazenta-Crowned
Treats:
Spinners are going to be hard to take down, especially Great Tusk. Certain stall mons might be too strong.

Other Questions:
Is this just gonna be OU but mons have slightly different/less HP? because a lot of moves only have 16/24 PP, and a lot of strong moves only have 8 PP.
Should the ratio of PP to HP be higher? Like 1 PP = 1.5-2% of HP?
Would this be fun to build? I think it's interesting but I will build for almost anything so that's not a great indicator.
This just seem too complex to explain for something that is not going to change things in an interesting way, like, by concept alone this sounds like it would fill ladder with stall teams as they are the best as taking advantage of the format, the added bulk could help set up sweepers, but they would often have to use bad moves just to end with a small HP boost.
TAG TEAM SINGLES (TTS)
Intro stolen from last gen's thread
This is TTS! The unholy blending of 1v1 and 2v2! Like 2v2 Doubles, this is a bring-4-pick-2 metagame. Unlike 2v2 Doubles and similarly to 1v1, however, battles take place in singles format. And unlike either of those formats, Tag Team Singles includes switching, a mechanic oft-forgotten by 1v1 and 2v2 mains. Battles are short but often very strategic, with players having to carefully consider which mons their opponent will pick and how to play around possible combos. It had been a blast last gen as I had a bunch of experience playing it including winning (by act) the TTS kickoffs as well as quite a few games on the OMOTM ladder. Building TTS retains a sense of familiarity with 1v1 and 2v2 Doubles while maintainging its uniqueness in the builder with an extra layer of complexity to account for. Tag Team Singles is not a 3-turn interaction but rather a mini-game on its own.

Mechanic: Bring 4 Pokemon at Team Preview, pick 2 to battle; Singles.

Changes from last gen: The Pokemon in the back was not revealed last gen, which I believe is fine as is. However, revealing the second could also be considered. Unfortunately, it had fairly low play counts as OMOTM last gen, maybe a ladder tour would help improve its popularity?

Clauses: Standard OMs, Sleep Moves clause, Terastal Clause
Bans: Focus Sash, Focus Band, Arceus, Calyrex-I, Calyrex-S, Chi-Yu, Dialga, Dialga-O, Eternatus, Giratina, Giratina-O, Groudon, Koraidon, Kyogre, Magearna, Mewtwo, Miraidon, Palkia, Palkia-O, Rayquaza, Zacian, Zacian-C, Zamazenta-C
On the Radar: Annihilape, Baton pass, Flutter Mane, Iron Bundle, Zamazenta
We already discussed a bit in PMs, but just so other people can see it, I don't see the need of TTS coming back, the ladder didn't do well, and the thread got 4 replies total while the ladder was up, and it wasn't active at all outside of that either. The format can still be played with chall codes anyway.
Team Captains

Potential Bans:
  1. Regular OU Clauses.
  2. No Uber Pokémon.

Potential Strategies:

This just seem like a new flavor of inheritance that doesn't know what it wants to be, we have enough formats of "mon gets stuff from another" and what you are trying to find for the team captain just doesn't seem to fit with the rest of the premise well enough for it to be a single metagame, but a mashup.

This reminds me a lot of the previous-gen OM Follow the Leader, which involves all your Pokemon being able to use your first Pokemon's movepool and possible abilities only (and none of their own). For example, if your first Pokemon is Garganacl, your other 5 Pokemon would all end up with Purifying Salt, Sturdy, and/or Clear Body only (e.g. not Mold Breaker), and all of them could use Salt Cure but not Make It Rain (since the latter is exclusive to not-Garganacl).
The only similarity between Follow the Leader and Team Captains is the sharing of the movepool, but even then, Pokémon in Team Captains still have access to their own moves. Abilities aren't shared in this OM, either, and the Team Captain in Team Captains would receive some sort of buff, while the Leader in Follow the Leader is basically a placeholder. These OMs are fairly different from one another.

This just seem like a new flavor of inheritance that doesn't know what it wants to be, we have enough formats of "mon gets stuff from another" and what you are trying to find for the team captain just doesn't seem to fit with the rest of the premise well enough for it to be a single metagame, but a mashup.
Same goes for comparing this to Inheritance, except Inheritance doesn't have a Team Captain. Rather, you are able to inherit the moves and ability of any Pokémon of your choosing. I think there's more argument to be made that Inheritance and Follow the Leader are too similar to be honest.

The innovation of this OM doesn't entirely come from the Team Captain sharing a movepool, however. OMs that involve the use of multiple items on a Pokémon are very scarce; this OM balances sharing of an item and doesn't let it become too overbearing. I've rethought some stuff per feedback I've gotten here and in PMs:
  1. All other Pokémon on your team have access to your Team Captain's movepool when team building.
    • Teammate Pokémon will have access to their original movepool, as well as the Team Captain's.
  2. The item that your Team Captain holds is your Team Item. All Pokémon on your team receive the effects of the Team Item, as well as their own held item.
    • Items cannot be duplicated on your team, every item must be unique.
  3. The Team Captain receives an additional type based on its Tera-type.
    • This grants the Team Captain a much-needed boost so it can fare against the rest of the Pokémon.
  4. Team Captains have Sticky Hold in addition to their chosen ability to prevent the removal of the Team Item.
    • Team Captains would not be able to use Fling, Trick, Switcheroo, etc.. Also, Team Items cannot be perishable (i.e., Focus Sash, Booster Energy, Sitrus Berry, etc. are banned from the Team Item slot).
  5. Rather than being able to choose a lead, the Team Captain is automatically sent out at the beginning of the battle and Frisk activates for both sides.
    • This way each player reveals their Team Captain and their Team Item on the first turn. This is akin to the Team Captain leading its fellow Pokémon into battle.
  6. If your Team Captain is knocked out, your Team Item is lost.
    • This makes the Team Captain very valuable. Because Team Captains are sent out first, some players might opt to run Team Captain suicide leads like Final Gambit Veluza to negate the Team Item for both sides, but still benefit from the movepool of Veluza for instance.
The updated ban/restriction list would be:
  1. Standard OU Clauses and Restrictions.
  2. No Uber Pokémon.
  3. Terastalization Ban.
  4. Duplicate Items Clause.
  5. Eviolite Ban (Because an Assault Vest Team Item would result in too bulky of a Pokémon).
  6. Perishable Team Item Ban.
  7. Banned Team Captains - Pawmot, Rabsca, Sneasler, and Garganacl.
  8. Ability Bans - Truant, Contrary and Unburden.

Last edited:
Team Captains

Potential Bans:
  1. Regular OU Clauses.
  2. No Uber Pokémon.

Potential Strategies:

Making a separate rule for the follower seems sort of Pet Mod territory and is not in the spirit of OMs.

This OM feels too complicated. The premise of OMs should be able to be summarized in a simple sentence. "Team Captains is an OM in which the first slot in the team is the captain, whose movepool gets transferred to all other members of the party, whose item effect is transferred to all other members of the party, and can have three types, but when it is knocked out, all other pokemon don't receive the item effect anymore." is not very consise, and new OM players will get intimidated by this and play something else like Inheritance. The last bit is also giving me Gods and Followers vibes, which was also a previous-gen OM.

Also "no Ubers" isn't a thorough banlist. All OMs have a thorough banlist that isn't just "no Ubers."

A pokemon having two items is incredibly broken. Banning perishable items already chunks out a huge portion of the items. I also think Choice items are broken. Locking into one move can easily be circumvented by having a leader with a VoltTurn move, and making the team into some kind of VoltTurn HO spam. Removing this many aspects from a metagame that brings these aspects in the first place isn't usually favored.

I also feel like there is enough "pokemon get stuff from other" type OMs. This is just another addition to the plethora we have.

IMakeNoSense

is a Pre-Contributor
Edit; what a FOOL i am. I didn't know this existed already...

I hesitated on posting this concept; there's a rule on "Hoarding" that OMs that revolve on holding X amount of items is likely not to be accepted, but I wanted to submit this idea for the sake of knowing if this is, indeed, frowned upon or if it's an idea that can be done.

Anyway:
---

Dual Wield
"Twice the utility! Twice the power!"

Metagame premise:
Sacrificing your Ability slot will grant you almost any item (no duplicates) that can't be knocked off or swapped. A Pokemon could hold both a Expert Belt and a Choice Scarf to boost the power of their moves along with their speed. Abilities that replace or copy will not work on dual wielders, and moves like Corrosive Gas will fail to delete the "abilitized" item. Perishable items cannot become your secondary item.

I imagine this will be a much more chaotic metagame where offense becomes fast and/or stronger and defense becomes heartier (Black Sludge + Leftovers stall?).

The metagame is OU-Based. Terastelization is allowed.

•Choice Band/Specs (Potential Ban)
I would probably ban the attack boosting items immediately. In short; avoid Gorilla Tactics if possible. In detail, I avoid Choice Scarf since it doesn't necessarily define or break a Pokemon if it doesn't have the ability to hit hard in the first place. Could be relooked at, but I'm more willing to ban first then re-evalulate.

•Leftovers (Threat)
Suddenly, Life Orb becomes less threatening with recovery at the end of every turn. Simply put, health = good, especially when that health is ensured thanks to Knock Off not working on the second slot.

•Life Orb (Threat)
1.3x power in exchange for health can become problematic when the cons can be balanced out with the aforementioned recovery of healing items. It can also compound with type-exclusive items, making for some really nasty STAB moves.

•Light Clay (Potential Ban)

•Damp/Smooth/Heat Rock (Threat/Potential Ban)

•Corviknight (Threat/Potential Ban)
Corviknight can run many solid items that can hypothetically make it nigh unstoppable. It's abilities were never the greatest, though usable, but now it can use an arguably more beneficial item to support it exponentially. It can potentially use items like Leftovers, Heavy-Duty Boots, Covert Cloak or a Rocky Helmet to further compliment itself. I'm unsure of how gameshaking Corviknight could be, hence I'm on the fence of threat or ban.

•Toxapex (Threat/Potential Ban)
See Corviknight, it's similar in every way but the abilities are amazing and it'd rather run Black Sludge over Heavy-Duty Boots (I think). It being capable of using two passive healing items may be a problem, I suppose.

•Great Tusk (Threat)
If GT sacrifices its Protosynthesis ability (thus making Booster Energy unusable), it can probably run Heavy-Duty Boots + Life Orb to be able to switch in safely and deal damage accordingly. I am unsure to how well this will do in this metagame, but come on. It's Great Tusk.

•Gholdengo (Potential Ban)
Gholdengo can do exactly what it usually does – switching Choice Scarf to it's opponent – but can now be unscathed by hazards entirely with HDBoots or boost the power of its moves with Life Orb, keeping it healthy in the process with Recover. Though hazards are deterred in this kind of metagame with how common HDBoots will probably be, it's even more impossible with Gholdengo running around.

•Kingambit (Potential Ban)
Black Glasses + Life Orb/Choice Band + Adaptability/Supreme Overlord makes Kingambit's overwhelming power even more absurd.

•Azumarill (Potential Ban)
A traditional set with the capability of adding Life Orb to it.

•Shell Smash (Threat)
"But Sense!", says yourself, "I thought you said perishable items can't be your secondary slot!" Well, true. But that just means that your primary slot could, in theory, be a regular item (knockable and all), thus allowing it to be perishable, and you allow your secondary slot to be anything-but. For example, say your item is a White Herb, allowing for traditional Shell Smash antics, but now you can use Life Orb as well, drastically boosting your power in the process. Hence, the threat. But it very well can be a ban, I just see it as less problematic.

Though not problematic; I'll also mention that Mental Herb can be used on hazard setting leads to ignore Taunt, while still allowing it to run Covert Cloak, HDBoots, Rocky Helmet, et cetera.

•Weakness Policy (Potential Ban)
As previously stated, it can't be the secondary item, but another move can. Activating the policy can be devastating.

Bans:
•Revival Blessing
Leppa Berry now doesn't restrict your item slot, so you can run Choice Scarf on Pawmot to outspeed most Pokemon and revive a teammate for essentially free. It's banned in other metas, and this one would be no different.

Questions for the community:
•Are there any potentially broken Pokemon I could have missed?
•Should the secondary item be protected (can't be knocked off/switched)? If not, how would de-itemizing moves react to the second item?
Note: Making it unable to be removed seemed the simplest way to justify not overcomplicating the base game. Any move used that would otherwise effect the item would only effect the primary item slot.
•I stated that perishable items; items that are used up upon activation; would be restricted from the secondary slot. In concept, it would not only leave the user without an "Ability", but it'd be complicated to allow two perishable items on one Pokemon (how would they interact, what takes priority, etc.) Should this restriction be lifted?
•Would this metagame be too beneficial to one style of battling (hyper offense vs hyper defense/stall)?
•With how insanely strong a Pokemon can become in this metagame, could this be an Ubers-based metagame? Further, would they too get the gimmick of two items, or would they be restricted from the rule for balancing ( ala. Mix and Mega's Ubers)?

---
A bit unsure of if this is encouraged as an OM submission. Feedback requested and appreciated.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)