Metagame Workshop

Status
Not open for further replies.
I would say give every new status move "Resets lowered stats" as their Z-effect since that's what most status moves have as their Z-effect and it's a safe bet. Not sure what you guys will think about my suggestion.

Arai

aka the situation
is a Community Contributoris a Top Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Forum Moderator Alumnus
I would say give every new status move "Resets lowered stats" as their Z-effect since that's what most status moves have as their Z-effect and it's a safe bet. Not sure what you guys will think about my suggestion.
I would say this still enters into Pet Mod territory as it's a custom change to mechanics.

is there an issue with just making cut and new moves unusable as max and z moves respectively?

i keep asking that question and keep not getting an answer.

we need national dex+ versions of all official metagames for the people who want to play them and to be honest? im not even sure they should be individual metagames. I think they should be grouped the way mainline games are. its stupid to fight this battle independently for each one

The issue is that it's incredibly awkward and very obviously not how these mechanics are supposed to work.
you're right, it's not, but even if nobody cares about z moves, return frustration hidden power and pursuit still are still in demand. if we make an ND meta, the choices are cutting them, which is against the spirit of ND, adapting them, which is pet mod territory unless we can find a rule that covers all cases, or making them unusable under conditions in which we dont have a defined effect for them.

the proverbial bear cub might make mcguyver look like a regimented engineer, but his solution to the Goldilocks problem is the only one that checks every box off

if we make an ND meta, the choices are cutting them, which is against the spirit of ND
Except leaving them cut isn't against the spirit on ND at all. The only stipulation of a ND meta is that the game doesn't block you from transfering regular Pokemon just because they're a certain species of Pokemon. Moves getting cut is no different than not being able to transfer a Pokemon up because it knows an HM move.

Oh, and if anyone is wondering what would happen with Unown if cut moves aren't brought back, the answer is simple: it would remain untransferable. This isn't an arbitrary decision to avoid complications, but rather the logical conclusion of the game's transfer rules if they were tweaked to not discriminate against species. From what I've read from the move rejection messages, it sounds like you have to delete all cut moves from a Pokemon's moveset before it's able to be transferred. Because you can't remove a Pokemon's only move, it would be impossible to remove Hidden Power from Unown, so any legitimate Unown would remain impossible to transfer. In theory, if you hacked an Unown to know something other than Hidden Power, it could be transferred without a hitch, assuming there isn't also an illegal moveset check.

All moves of a certain BP will have the same BP as each other when they are Max Moves but no actual formula.
what about variable power moves like return and frustration?

Except leaving them cut isn't against the spirit on ND at all. The only stipulation of a ND meta is that the game doesn't block you from transfering regular Pokemon just because they're a certain species of Pokemon. Moves getting cut is no different than not being able to transfer a Pokemon up because it knows an HM move.

Oh, and if anyone is wondering what would happen with Unown if cut moves aren't brought back, the answer is simple: it would remain untransferable. This isn't an arbitrary decision to avoid complications, but rather the logical conclusion of the game's transfer rules if they were tweaked to not discriminate against species. From what I've read from the move rejection messages, it sounds like you have to delete all cut moves from a Pokemon's moveset before it's able to be transferred. Because you can't remove a Pokemon's only move, it would be impossible to remove Hidden Power from Unown, so any legitimate Unown would remain impossible to transfer. In theory, if you hacked an Unown to know something other than Hidden Power, it could be transferred without a hitch, assuming there isn't also an illegal moveset check.
dude, the entire reason we're having this ND+ discussion is because there are a number of people who aren't happy with with moves and megas being cut. you don't have to play it if you don't want to, but please stop trying to shut down the discussion

There's no need to have this argument. There will be NatDex and NatDex+. One is an OM, one is a Pet Mod. One does not prevent the other from existing. One has a general rule, one has several specific and subjective rules. Those who like the minimal one can play the minimal one. Those that want all their favorite deleted mechanics will have all their favorite deleted mechanics. Please stop flooding this thread unnecessarily. Thank you.

There's no need to have this argument. There will be NatDex and NatDxe+. One is a OM, one is a Pet Mod. One does not prevent the other from existing. One has a general rule, one has several specific and subjective rules. Those who like the minimal one can play the minimal one. Those that want all their favorite deleted mechanics will have all their favorite deleted mechanics. Please stop flooding this thread unnecessarily. Thank you.
can I ask one last question? when you say + will be a pet mod, do you mean its going to be individual user-to-user challenges only? if so, im not sure shutting down this conversation is fair. the entire goal of the discussion is to remove subjectivity from the rules so that it can be a metagame

can I ask one last question? when you say + will be a pet mod, do you mean its going to be individual user-to-user challenges only? if so, im not sure shutting down this conversation is fair. the entire goal of the discussion is to remove subjectivity from the rules so that it can be a metagame
Pet Mods will become more accessible on the main server starting in gen 8. We will be introducing a similar format to OM of the Month, but for a longer period than a single month, so it depends purely on the popularity of NatDex+ in the community voting process.

I see. Still a pretty crappy idea IMO. Pet Mod approvers don't take too kindly to formats that just shuffle around the usable Pokemon list with no other changes (I know from experience trying to sub a format where all legendaries, megas and z-crystals were banned)
It isn't a Pet Mod, it's an OM idea

Why would this be approved? All you are doing is changing the Pokemon you are able to use (aka the Pokemon cut from the game).
Why is nat dex approved? All they're doing is adding Pokemon you are able to use (aka the Pokemon cut from the game).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)