Project Metagame Workshop (OM Submissions CLOSED)

Status
Not open for further replies.

KaenSoul

Shared:Power Little Knight
is a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a member of the Battle Simulator Staff
Community Leader
Ok, so I had another idea for drampa to destroy.

:staryu: Star Student :clefairy:
Metagame premise:
In this meta, Pokémon that are still able to evolve get access to all the moves and (not hard coded) abilities from their evolutions on top of their own, and receive the type change they would receive from evolving.

If a Pokémon have evolutions with different types, you have to nickname your Pokémon after the stage you want to take the type from, so Jolteon (Eevee) would be pure Electric and Braviary-Hisui (Rufflet) would be Psychic/Flying, and can still access the moves and abilities from the other paths.

Increased Viability:
:corvisquire: Corvisquire becomes Flying/Steel, gains ID, BP, Pressure among other tools to finally be the mini Corviknight it dreams to become.
:electabuzz: Electabuzz may not have the best evolution, it does gain a few moves in Earthquake and Darkest Lariat, it can also use Motor Drive to block opposite Volt Switch.
:torracat: Torracat goes to the Dark-Type side and gets access to Knock Off, Close Combat and Earthquake.
:poliwhirl: Poliwhirl get access to Drizzle, Fighting moves and can choose to gain Fighting-Type.
:linoone-galar: Linoone-G now gets Guts and some nice moves like Close Combat and Obstruct.
:seadra: Seadra is Water/Dragon now, and gain access to Hurricane and Swift Swim.
And many more!

Potential bans:
All fully evolved Pokémon.
Scyther, Pikachu, Chansey, Heat Rock, Damp Rock.
Questions for the community:
Anything you would like to change?

Gimmicky

You give me chills, I've had it with the drills
is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Contributor to Smogon

Metagame premise:
In this meta, Pokémon that are still able to evolve get access to all the moves and (not hard coded) abilities from their evolutions on top of their own, and receive the type change they would receive from evolving.

If a Pokémon have evolutions with different types, you have to nickname your Pokémon after the stage you want to take the type from, so Jolteon (Eevee) would be pure Electric and Braviary-Hisui (Rufflet) would be Psychic/Flying, and can still access the moves and abilities from the other paths.

Increased Viability:
:corvisquire: Corvisquire becomes Flying/Steel, gains ID, BP, Pressure among other tools to finally be the mini Corviknight it dreams to become.
:electabuzz: Electabuzz may not have the best evolution, it does gain a few moves in Earthquake and Darkest Lariat, it can also use Motor Drive to block opposite Volt Switch.
:torracat: Torracat goes to the Dark-Type side and gets access to Knock Off, Close Combat and Earthquake.
:poliwhirl: Poliwhirl get access to Drizzle, Fighting moves and can choose to gain Fighting-Type.
:linoone-galar: Linoone-G now gets Guts and some nice moves like Close Combat and Obstruct.
:seadra: Seadra is Water/Dragon now, and gain access to Hurricane and Swift Swim.
And many more!

Potential bans:
Anything with a split evolution benefits massively just from the virtue of versatility; I definitely would propose Type:Null banned and Gloom watchlisted.

A few other things that benefit a lot from this:

:shelgon: Shelgon gains Intimidate without being forced to adopt the flying type; allowing it to invest more heavily into it's meager special defense, or becoming a full physical tank.
:kubfu: Even with its weak base stats, Kubfu gains access to some very powerful moves-- including dual priority, one of which can be STAB, and two guaranteed crit moves which can also be STAB.
:cosmoem: I don't care how meager these offenses are. Nothing breaks Eviolite Cosmoem. Can either become an incredible defensive Pokemon with reliable recovery in roost, or a stored power.. sweeper?
:nincada: banned. less weaknesses than Shedinja, an actual (albeit, low) HP stat, and Swords Dance. If you get rid of an opponent's Fire, Ground, or Water type you probably win.

Metagame premise:

Increased Viability:
And many more!

Potential bans:
I feel like it's not bad per se but OMS have to be fun and different this is just weaker ou With a few exceptions I don't hate it I just feel like that's what the om Council is gonna say if you submit it

I like the idea though and I will try to think of a different way to do it

Gonna edit in my ideas here so I won't be posting in a row:
Maybe you could have the stat distribution of the evolution as well ? (Keep bst)
Or have some sort of scale mechanic like 500bst?

Last edited:

KaenSoul

is a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a member of the Battle Simulator Staff
Community Leader
I feel like it's not bad per se but OMS have to be fun and different this is just weaker ou With a few exceptions I don't hate it I just feel like that's what the om Council is gonna say if you submit it
That's, not quite right.
It is quite different from OU, as for starters, all fully evolved mons are banned, so no Lando, no UBs, no Heatran, no Tapus, etc., so while it make NFE mons closer to their fully evolved counterparts the environment is way too different, this added to the fact that many of the strong NFE evolve into Pokémon from different tiers, like Corvisquire may turn into mini Corviknight, meanwhile Drakloak already has most of Dragapult's tools so it most likely won't really move up as much, then you have Electabuzz who is good in NFE despite Electivire being a living joke and even then it may be able to make good use of the stuff it gains from vire. And don't forget cases like Poliwhirl who will end very different from either Politoed and Poliwrath thanks to being able to take from both.
NFE and LC mons have a wide range of stats so the tier would be quite unique.
I like the idea though and I will try to think of a different way to do it

Gonna edit in my ideas here so I won't be posting in a row:
Maybe you could have the stat distribution of the evolution as well ? (Keep bst)
Or have some sort of scale mechanic like 500bst?
That would make them less unique, as the Pre-evos being different from what they turn into is what set it apart, by not changing the stats I allow all the pre-evolutions of bad mons to compete on an even field with those that evolve into OU and UU staples. So you end with a NFE+ that has higher Power level thanks to all the new coverage options and abilities that you don't often see on NFE.

Now some other winners, as I think a lot of people that aren't familiar with NFE just don't realize how much Star Student changes everyone:

:brionne: Brionne get access to Calm Mind and the Fairy-Type.
:gloom: Gloom can now utilize Quiver Dance, Aromatherapy and Corrosive Gas.
:combusken: Combusken had a really lackluster movepool, now it can use Close Combat, Aura Sphere, Earthquake, U-turn, Brave Bird, among other options.
:pupitar: Pupitar is a new weather setter that helps at keeping Vulpix under control, and now it can punch if it wants to.
:loudred: Loudred is now capable of dealing some high volumes of damage with Boomburst.
:fletchinder: Fletchinder gains two powerfull stabs on Flare Blitz and Brave Bird.
:poipole: Poipole gains Dragon-Type, Draco Meteor and coverage options like Fire Blast and goes from terrible to not bad.
:quilava: Quilava may not get much from regular Typhlosion, but if the Hisuian comes in SV then it can become Ghost-Type and compete with Lampent.
:hattrem: Hattrem gets Fairy-Type and can now use Trick Room.

Last edited:

KaenSoul

Community Leader
I just don't really get why you would use these mons over ou mons if you wanted specific mons to be good just play a pet mod
I don't want to buff any specific mon with this (not even my fav, Dewott, would get into the VR), but rather make a new tier distinct from any other while following the OM policy, all OMs let a different set of Pokémon get the spotlight not just pet mods. I guess it may not seem too attractive for people who prefer tiers with higher power levels above OU or Ubers, like CE or Re-Evo, this something somewhere between NFE, ZU or even PU.

And that let me go into something I have been thinking lately about this possible tier, is not exactly "NFE based" just like how no OM is actually OU or Uber based, I'm just banning all Fully evolved Pokémon to make clear the intended power level, just like how most OM ban most regular Ubers, we can also allow the "ubers" that are at the power level this tier has, so some fully evolved mons could be allowed, but not beyond what you find at the bottom of ZU. I may not do that if the OM leaders believe it would make the ban list too complex for newcomers or something else.

Do Pokemon still have access to their own abilities? Like, does Electabuzz have a choice between Static, Motor Drive, and Vital Spirit, or just Motor Drive and Vital Spirit?

:ss/rhydon:
Now that it has Solid Rock, Rhydon is basically just Rhyperior with marginally lower stats now.

:ss/nidorino:
If Pokemon still have access to their normal abilities, STAB Hustle-boosted Earthquake sounds cool.

:ss/onix:
Fast Steelix sounds like it could be cool.

KaenSoul

Community Leader
Do Pokemon still have access to their own abilities? Like, does Electabuzz have a choice between Static, Motor Drive, and Vital Spirit, or just Motor Drive and Vital Spirit?
Yep, as they gain access to everything from their evolutions, as new options, they can still choose to keep their unique types and abilities, this is to prevent cases like Doublade/Honedge being locked into Stance Change that require an in battle form change not available to them. So if gen 9 introduces any other impossible to use ability, we will be prepared.

You use them over OU mons because all fully evolved Pokemon are banned.
Yes but why play it then if the only reason your using the mons is because there are no fully evolved mons Available there is no special gimmick there is practically zero difference between this and normal ou since all stats are weaker not just one

Yes but why play it then if the only reason your using the mons is because there are no fully evolved mons Available there is no special gimmick there is practically zero difference between this and normal ou since all stats are weaker not just one
It'd be extremely different from OU, since there's no Lando, no Heatran, no Tapus, no UBs... These very influential Pokemon have no prevos, so there wouldn't be anything comparable to them in this meta. A more valid criticism would be to question how different it would be from a vanilla meta that just bans all single-stage Pokemon, but to think it'd be in any way similar to OU specifically is just ridiculous.

It'd be extremely different from OU, since there's no Lando, no Heatran, no Tapus, no UBs... These very influential Pokemon have no prevos, so there wouldn't be anything comparable to them in this meta. A more valid criticism would be to question how different it would be from a vanilla meta that just bans all single-stage Pokemon, but to think it'd be in any way similar to OU specifically is just ridiculous.
Ok that's kinda the argument I meant

Last edited:

Gimmicky

Metagame premise:

Increased Viability:
And many more!

Potential bans:
Some more things I like.

:zweilous: Gains access to a lot of game changers like DDance, reliable recovery, better physical dragon STAB and coverage like EQ (the biggest one) and U-Turn, while maintaining access to good support moves like Taunt and Twave. Hustle makes this incredibly powerful, but also quite risky. Medium Risk, High Reward.

:piloswine: Gains access to Knock Off. It's not a monumental gain, but Pilo is already quite good and this only helps it.

:swirlix: Belly Drum sets gain Drain Punch, no other relevant gains. I still like it though :)

drampa's grandpa

cannonball
is a Community Contributoris a Community Leader Alumnus
The Domino Effect
Moves used several times in a row become used multiple times in a turn, up to 5 times.
If this is confusing, let's have an example:
Say you have a Scizor. It uses Swords Dance once. It gets the +2 attack, as usual. However, if it uses Swords Dance immediately after on the 2nd turn, it will use Swords Dance twice in one turn. The same applies for its Bullet Punch. Use it once, just regular Bullet Punch. Use it twice in a row, Bullet punch activates twice. This still consumes just one PP, so it acts similar to a multihit move.

Notable Buffs
:weavile: :tornadus-therian: :tapu-koko: Very fast users of Torment gain a huge advantage in this meta. They can stop the opponent from clicking whatever move they want to spam a billion times.
:kartana: :dragonite: :garchomp: These are probably gonna be the first bans. Should be obvious why. Spam either Leaf Blade or Extreme Speed or Earthquake with very little repercussion.
:corviknight: :toxapex: :slowbro: Surprisingly, defensive Pokemon benefit from this too. They can instantly heal their entire health bar if they're spamming Recover. Plus, Toxapex and Slowbro can freely spam Scald and become even more likely to burn.

Questions for the community
How will pivot moves be handled?
Are there any changes that should be made to make it more balanced?
The power level here is absolutely absurd. Spamming priority or scarved moves (Togekiss or Jirachi sound *fun*) for damage that very very quickly amps up in power. The Pokemon that wins the first encounter is likely to win the entire game unless they can be outsped, due to OHKOing everything by turn three.

My question is how to tune this down. There's no way this is remotely balanced or fun to play as is.

Metagame premise:

Increased Viability:
And many more!

Potential bans:
A NFE OM nice :D
I'm not a huge fan of the nickname aspect, but it's likely something that we would have to live with.
It's a little complex but honestly I don't have much to say about it. I like it.

Type Swap!

Premise of the Metagame: Type Swap is a doubles metagame where both of your Pokemon have their type swapped.

Example: If you have heatran and cresselia out front, heatran would be psychic type and cresselia would be fire/steel type)

Some maybe Viable Threats
:heatran: :cresselia: Heatran and cresselia can pair well in the example I gave. Levitate can work with fire/steel type due to its ground weakness which is now removed. No good moves that have stab with the new typings though.

:genesect: :incineroar: These guys can pair really well, having stab techno blast with burn drive. Having a mid-tier speed on genesect means that assurance stab could useful. Incineroar getting iron head stab could be deadly because of the flinch rate. Incineroar is also very good in doubles.

:dragapult: :tyranitar: This could be a strong combo, as they can both benefit from the stabs of their new types. Dragapult is able to use its new dark type for sucker punch stab, while tyranitar can get the dragon type for outrage.

:cinderace: :zapdos-galar: Libero could be very interesting in this metagame. Zapdos-G can provide fighting stab for cinderace’s abundance of fighting moves, but gets the rawer end of the deal by not having good fire type moves.

:silvally: RKS system is very interesting as it can give any type. Silvally also gets some good coverage moves to work with its new type.

The combinations that will most benefit from this rule is probably pokemon that have one type in common. This ensures that at least either pokemon will have access to one stab type. Most pokemon don’t have good moves that are not their own type. This kind of ruins the point however, and could be an easy shortcut to simple teambuilding. The combos that do not use each other’s types mostly have one pokemon benefiting more and the other getting bad moves to work with.

Potential Bans
Pokemon: Ban ubers and shedinja. Pretty self-explanatory, I feel like this metagame does not need ubers running around. Shedinja is banned because wonder guard+pretty much any type is a bit too overpowered.
Abilities: Contrary, Emergency Exit, Huge Power, Moody, Shadow Tag, Wonder Guard. These are also straightforward and are obvious bans.
Moves: Ally Switch?, Bolt Beak, Fishious Rend, Swagger. Simple bans once again.
Clauses: Standard Doubles Rules, Dynamax Clause. I don’t want dynamaxed mons running around this metagame.

Questions for the Community
Are there any pokemon, abilities, moves, or items that come to mind that should be banned?

Should you keep your original stab?
The reason why this has come across my mind is it will make teambuilding a lot easier, but it ruins the challenging side of it. I feel like this is a 99% no, but I want to hear your thoughts.

Should there be a button that swaps types, or should it be set right when you recall/release a pokemon? Making a button would add skill and more thought into the teambuilding, but it could just lead to it being too complicated. For example, how would it work when you switch out, or if you can keep on clicking the button, and other problems.

Last edited:
Type Swap!

Premise of the Metagame: Type Swap is a doubles metagame where both of your Pokemon have their type swapped.

Example: If you have heatran and cresselia out front, heatran would be psychic type and cresselia would be fire/steel type)

:heatran: :cresselia: Heatran and cresselia can pair well in the example I gave. Levitate can work with fire/steel type due to its ground weakness which is now removed. No good moves that have stab with the new typings though.

:genesect: :incineroar: These guys can pair really well, having stab techno blast with burn drive. Having a mid-tier speed on genesect means that assurance stab could useful. Incineroar getting iron head stab could be deadly because of the flinch rate. Incineroar is also very good in doubles.

:dragapult: :tyranitar: This could be a strong combo, as they can both benefit from the stabs of their new types. Dragapult is able to use its new dark type for sucker punch stab, while tyranitar can get the dragon type for outrage.

:cinderace: :zapdos-galar: Libero could be very interesting in this metagame. Zapdos-G can provide fighting stab for cinderace’s abundance of fighting moves, but gets the rawer end of the deal by not having good fire type moves.

:silvally: RKS system is very interesting as it can give any type. Silvally also gets some good coverage moves to work with its new type.

The combinations that will most benefit from this rule is probably pokemon that have one type in common. This ensures that at least either pokemon will have access to one stab type. Most pokemon don’t have good moves that are not their own type. This kind of ruins the point however, and could be an easy shortcut to simple teambuilding. The combos that do not use each other’s types mostly have one pokemon benefiting more and the other getting bad moves to work with.

Potential Bans
Pokemon: Ban ubers. Pretty self-explanatory, I feel like this metagame does not need ubers running around.
Abilities: Contrary, Emergency Exit, Huge Power, Moody, Shadow Tag, Wonder Guard. These are also straightforward and are obvious bans.
Moves: Ally Switch, Bolt Beak, Fishious Rend, Swagger. Simple bans once again.
Clauses: Standard Doubles Rules, Dynamax Clause. I don’t want dynamaxed mons running around this metagame.

Are there any pokemon, abilities, moves, or items that come to mind that should be banned?

The reason why this has come across my mind is it will make teambuilding a lot easier, but it ruins the challenging side of it. I feel like this is a 99% no, but I want to hear your thoughts.

Should there be a button that swaps types, or should it be set right when you recall/release a pokemon? Making a button would add skill and more thought into the teambuilding, but it could just lead to it being too complicated. For example, how would it work when you switch out, or if you can keep on clicking the button, and other problems.
Definitely don't add a button to swap types.

The meta sounds interesting, and it adds an interesting option for when a Pokemon is threatened. You can switch them out like you usually can, or you can switch out your other Pokemon to change their type to something that will resist whatever is threatening them.

That said, a lot of your bans don't make any sense. Banning stuff like Contrary, Huge Power, and Fishious Rend would make sense if moves and abilities were shared or swapped, but they're not. The only bans that are "straightforward, obvious, or simple" are the ones that Doubles already bans and probably Shedinja.

Definitely don't add a button to swap types.

The meta sounds interesting, and it adds an interesting option for when a Pokemon is threatened. You can switch them out like you usually can, or you can switch out your other Pokemon to change their type to something that will resist whatever is threatening them.

That said, a lot of your bans don't make any sense. Banning stuff like Contrary, Huge Power, and Fishious Rend would make sense if moves and abilities were shared or swapped, but they're not. The only bans that are "straightforward, obvious, or simple" are the ones that Doubles already bans and probably Shedinja.
The bans were mostly just based off of PiC, but I see why my reasoning is wrong. Most of the bans I listed are just from a few pokemon, and don’t seem to matter when I put more thought into it. Being from the native pokemon would make it balanced enough.

Landmines(theres prob a better name but uhhhhh)
Upon a Pokemon fainting, a special effect occurs based on primary type.
Admittedly, this is quite Pet Mod-y. But hopefully, this can work as an idea for an OM. Here's a list of what all the types do. Anything marked with (!) is something I really want to change, but can't think of anything to change it with:

Normal: Wish is used with the fainted Pokemon's HP stat.
Fire: Sun is set up. (!)
Water: Rain is set up. (!)
Grass: Leech Seed is applied to all opposing Pokemon for 3 turns overall.
Electric: Charge is applied to the next Electric move used.
Fighting: Incoming Pokemon get +1 Attack/Defense(free Bulk Up) until they switch out.
Rock: Stealth Rocks are set up.
Ground: Spikes are set up.
Steel: Steelsurge is set up.
Psychic: Incoming Pokemon get +1 Special Attack/Special Defense(free Calm Mind) until they switch out.
Dark: Taunt is applied to all opposing Pokemon for 3 turns.
Poison: Toxic Spikes are set up. (!)
Dragon: Incoming Pokemon get +1 speed until they switch out.
Flying: All hazards are removed from the field.
Fairy: Healing Wish is set up. (!)
Bug: Sticky Web is set up. (!)
Ice: Aurora Veil is set up.

What gets buffed?
:ferrothorn: Bulky, resists all the hazards, and can throw out a desperation Leech Seed if need be.
:blissey: :clefable: Free wishes in the endgame! Pair this with a Galarian Moltres or some other setup sweeper and watch the world burn.
:tapu-lele: :urshifu-rapid-strike: Set up a Calm Mind or a Bulk Up for scarf Zapdos-G or specs Koko in the lategame. Self explanatory.
:buzzwole: The only good primary Bug in OU, it can serve as a reliable webs setter and sweeper for hyper offense!

For the effects marked with (!), how do you think they should be changed?
Is this veering too far away from what OMs are? If so, how can it be simplified?
Are there any potentially broken threats?

Admittedly, this is quite Pet Mod-y. But hopefully, this can work as an idea for an OM. Here's a list of what all the types do. Anything marked with (!) is something I really want to change, but can't think of anything to change it with:

Fighting: Incoming Pokemon get +1 Attack/Defense(free Bulk Up) until they switch out.
Psychic: Incoming Pokemon get +1 Special Attack/Special Defense(free Calm Mind) until they switch out.

What gets buffed?
:ferrothorn: Bulky, resists all the hazards, and can throw out a desperation Leech Seed if need be.
:blissey: :clefable: Free wishes in the endgame! Pair this with a Galarian Moltres or some other setup sweeper and watch the world burn.
:tapu-lele: :urshifu-rapid-strike: Set up a Calm Mind or a Bulk Up for scarf Zapdos-G or specs Koko in the lategame. Self explanatory.
:buzzwole: The only good primary Bug in OU, it can serve as a reliable webs setter and sweeper for hyper offense!

Is this veering too far away from what OMs are? If so, how can it be simplified?
This just seems like Trademarked but instead of the pokemon switching in, it gets the status move when it dies. The execution between Landmines and Trademarked might be different, but the concept is basically the same. I don’t think Trademarked is playable on the showdown servers though.

drampa's grandpa

cannonball
is a Community Contributoris a Community Leader Alumnus
Type Swap!

Potential Bans
Pokemon: Ban ubers. Pretty self-explanatory, I feel like this metagame does not need ubers running around.
Moves: Ally Switch?, Bolt Beak, Fishious Rend, Swagger. Simple bans once again.

My initial reaction to this was that it was way too similar to PiC, with practically no differences other than PiC giving a bit more in terms of sharing and allowing for more complex strategies. But I kind of overlooked the fact that while the mechanism it's using is very PiC-like, the end result isn't really. Nothing in PiC lets you put a specific type on a specific set of stats. It sort of makes me think of Camo Doubles, but with a different way of changing types, I guess? Changing the type of the Pokemon being targeted is an interesting mechanic

They are still similar, so I think the main thing you would have to convince the submissions staff of is why we need this in addition to PiC.

As for your Qs...
I agree no, you should not automatically keep your original STAB.
And I believe that the button idea removes what I find most interesting about this idea, which is pivoting around to get type advantages.

I would like to ask, how would you prefer mons changing their typing to work? As in, if Pyukumuku used Soak on me, or I'm using Stunfisk-Galar with Mimicry for whatever reason. What happens to the Pokemon that would normally have changed, what happens to their ally.

No comment on the banlist. Doubles hurts my brain.

What gets buffed?

This is definitely in Pet Mod territory as is, but I think you could pull it back into OMs. It needs to be based off of something objective and referenceable.
I guess you could make the rule less arbitrary if you feel is too pet mod like, maybe base the effect on something like the max move of the corresponding types, or the effect of the status move on their first move slot.
Both of these are great ideas IMO, and the second especially allows for some more interactive building rather than one type being inherently stronger. Not that one type being inherently stronger is unusual but we cant help that *glare at Game Freak*

I worry that it only working upon a mon being knocked out will limit the potential for this meta. That's a maximum of five times in a battle that the effect of the metagame is taking place. And yet to make it much more frequent (on switch (AKA trademarked), on 50% hp, on taking a crit, w/e) would greatly inflate the power of the meta to a problematic degree. I'm not sure that this is too much of an issue, but it's something to keep in mind.

My initial reaction to this was that it was way too similar to PiC, with practically no differences other than PiC giving a bit more in terms of sharing and allowing for more complex strategies. But I kind of overlooked the fact that while the mechanism it's using is very PiC-like, the end result isn't really. Nothing in PiC lets you put a specific type on a specific set of stats. It sort of makes me think of Camo Doubles, but with a different way of changing types, I guess? Changing the type of the Pokemon being targeted is an interesting mechanic

They are still similar, so I think the main thing you would have to convince the submissions staff of is why we need this in addition to PiC.

As for your Qs...
I agree no, you should not automatically keep your original STAB.
And I believe that the button idea removes what I find most interesting about this idea, which is pivoting around to get type advantages.

I would like to ask, how would you prefer mons changing their typing to work? As in, if Pyukumuku used Soak on me, or I'm using Stunfisk-Galar with Mimicry for whatever reason. What happens to the Pokemon that would normally have changed, what happens to their ally.
The changes that Type Swap and PiC make to a regular doubles format are mutually exclusive, although I do see your point. I wanted another doubles OM that isn't something just like MnM Doubles or whatever. PiC combines abilities and moves, while Type Swap swaps types; I see these as two completely different mechanics.
Camo PiC would be the most mind bending OMM lol.

I found a list of moves and abilities on serebii that change the user's or opponent's type; here they are.

Moves
1. Soak: Soak would change your ally's type to water.
2. Forest's Curse: Same logic as Soak. It would fail if your ally is already grass type.
3. Trick-Or-Treat: Same logic as Soak and Forest's Curse.
4. Magic Powder: Same logic as Soak.
5. Burn Up: Burn Up would remove your ally's fire type. It fails if your ally is not fire type.
6. Conversion: Conversion would change your ally's type to the user's first move's type.

7. Conversion 2: Conversion 2 would change your ally's type to make it resistant to the move type that the user took.
8. Reflect Type: Reflect Type would change your ally's type to the target's ally's type.

Abilities
1. Color Change: Color Change would change your ally's type to the move type that the user took.
2. Mimicry: Mimicry would change your ally's type to the corresponding terrain.
3. Protean and Libero: They would change your ally's type to the move type that the user used.
4. Multitype and RKS System: They would change your ally's type depending on the plate or memory.

Note: When switching out the pokemon with the type change, the new pokemon would have the type of it's ally and the ally would have the type of the new pokemon. When switching out the pokemon with the type change's ally, the pokemon with the type change would have the type of the new pokemon, and the new pokemon would have type of the old pokemon.

TL; DR: Have a "true" type and a "swapped" type for every pokemon. The "true" type would be what happens in a normal doubles format, and when Type Swap is at play, always just swap the "true" types to achieve the "swapped" type, no matter what. The "swapped" type is the actual type at play when Type Swap is turned on.

Doubles hurts my brain.
Me when I play VGC ^^^

Last edited:

Gimmicky

Been thinking about this one for a while, would love to know some thoughts on it before I submit it next gen.

Megascale i'm not crazy about this name if you have a better idea lmk
What if Mix and Mega was approached like Scalemons?

Premise: Every Pokemon's base stats, with the exception of HP, is scaled to give them an approximate BST of 100 above their own, mimicking the stat gains of a Mega Evolution. Any recalculated stats are rounded down, meaning some BSTs will not gain exactly 100. This is done using this formula:
Stat * ((BST + 100) - HP) / (BST - HP)

For example, Nidoking would go from 81 / 102 / 77 / 85 / 75 / 85 with a BST of 505 to 81 / 126 / 95 / 105 / 92 / 105 with a BST of 604 with this set of calculations:

Atk: 102 * ((505 + 100) - 81) / (505 - 81) = 126.06 = 126
Def: 77 * ((505 + 100) - 81) / (505 - 81) = 95.16 = 95
SpA: 85 * ((505 + 100) - 81) / (505 - 81) = 105.04 = 105
SpD: 75 * ((505 + 100) - 81) / (505 - 81) = 92.69 = 92
Spe: 85 * ((505 + 100) - 81) / (505 - 81) = 105.04 = 105

Potential Threats and Bans:

:garchomp::kartana::latios: Pokemon with high BSTs, one or two stand-out stats, or both of these traits benefit most. For instance, Kartana's attack shoots up to an appalling 216, while Latios and Garchomp have BSTs that rival the most powerful Ubers.

:toxapex::slowbro::blissey: Defensive Pokemon can still do well with these raised stats, and offer good answers to a very powerful metagame. Just how good these Pokemon are would require testing; This could be either a balance/BO centered meta or a very offensive one, depending on how good defensive tools like these are.

:leftovers: :life-orb: Pokemon would still be able to use regular items, similar to Scalemons. This gives defensive Pokemon even more longevity, and offensive Pokemon even more power.

Potential Nerfs:

:regieleki: Eleki gains so much speed (a whopping 40 points) that it doesn't become much stronger, and wastes 20 of its points on still meager bulk.

:mew: :victini: Pokemon with balanced stat spreads don't gain as much relative to other Pokemon. Gaining 15 points to each stat barring HP is nice, but in a very strong and fast metagame like this, it's not impressive.

Community Questions:

Should this be an Ubers or OU based meta? If it's Uber based, should Box Legendaries be exempt? If it's OU based, is it worth dropping any Ubers.

How should Pokemon that change form mid-battle be addressed? Should they use their original stats or should the calculation be reapplied?

Should recalculated stats incredibly close to the next whole number be rounded up, to bring the total closer to BST+100?

Would Terestal (or Dynamax, if playing in gen 8) be overwhelming? How should these things interact with the stat calculation?

please does anyone have a better name

KaenSoul

Community Leader
Been thinking about this one for a while, would love to know some thoughts on it before I submit it next gen.

Megascale i'm not crazy about this name if you have a better idea lmk
What if Mix and Mega was approached like Scalemons?

Premise: Every Pokemon's base stats, with the exception of HP, is scaled to give them an approximate BST of 100 above their own, mimicking the stat gains of a Mega Evolution. Any recalculated stats are rounded down, meaning some BSTs will not gain exactly 100. This is done using this formula:
Stat * ((BST + 100) - HP) / (BST - HP)

For example, Nidoking would go from 81 / 102 / 77 / 85 / 75 / 85 with a BST of 505 to 81 / 126 / 95 / 105 / 92 / 105 with a BST of 604 with this set of calculations:

Atk: 102 * ((505 + 100) - 81) / (505 - 81) = 126.06 = 126
Def
: 77 * ((505 + 100) - 81) / (505 - 81) = 95.16 = 95
SpA
: 85 * ((505 + 100) - 81) / (505 - 81) = 105.04 = 105
SpD
: 75 * ((505 + 100) - 81) / (505 - 81) = 92.69 = 92
Spe
: 85 * ((505 + 100) - 81) / (505 - 81) = 105.04 = 105

Potential Threats and Bans:

:garchomp::kartana::latios: Pokemon with high BSTs, one or two stand-out stats, or both of these traits benefit most. For instance, Kartana's attack shoots up to an appalling 216, while Latios and Garchomp have BSTs that rival the most powerful Ubers.

:toxapex::slowbro::blissey: Defensive Pokemon can still do well with these raised stats, and offer good answers to a very powerful metagame. Just how good these Pokemon are would require testing; This could be either a balance/BO centered meta or a very offensive one, depending on how good defensive tools like these are.

:leftovers: :life-orb: Pokemon would still be able to use regular items, similar to Scalemons. This gives defensive Pokemon even more longevity, and offensive Pokemon even more power.

Potential Nerfs:

:regieleki: Eleki gains so much speed (a whopping 40 points) that it doesn't become much stronger, and wastes 20 of its points on still meager bulk.

:mew: :victini: Pokemon with balanced stat spreads don't gain as much relative to other Pokemon. Gaining 15 points to each stat barring HP is nice, but in a very strong and fast metagame like this, it's not impressive.

Community Questions:

Should this be an Ubers or OU based meta? If it's Uber based, should Box Legendaries be exempt? If it's OU based, is it worth dropping any Ubers.

How should Pokemon that change form mid-battle be addressed? Should they use their original stats or should the calculation be reapplied?

Should recalculated stats incredibly close to the next whole number be rounded up, to bring the total closer to BST+100?

Would Terestal (or Dynamax, if playing in gen 8) be overwhelming? How should these things interact with the stat calculation?

please does anyone have a better name
Is not a bad idea but I fear it would suffer from a "if everyone change the same way then everything stays the same". Like it would just be too similar to Current Gen OU.
I think a way to solve this is to bring another aspect of Mega Evolving, not being able to use items (If we ignore Rayquaza...).
Make it so you only gain stats as long as you are itemless from the beginning of the game (a mon can still hold an item but won't get stats gains).
Now you have a more unique meta that is easy to difference from other Stats modifiers metas.
Call it Megalize, Proto-Megas or something cool.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)