Metagame Mergemons

>be me
>be chillin on showdown
>open up the teambuilder
>let's build a team for an OM!
>something catches my eye

>is that MERGEMONS I SEE

thank you guys so much, I'd actually completely forgotten about this meta lmaoooo I just logged back in for the first time in months to shitpost about it
also, i formally relinquish all control over the metagame. if someone else wants to take control, do it. JUST DO IT PLEASE I DON'T WANT TO HAVE TO WORRY ABOUT THIS ANYMORE! i'm completely inactive now so it's for the better
edit: also as my last move as mergemons leader serperior can no longer merge moves due to incredibly popular demand (and the fact that it's batshit insane lmao
also The Immortal some dude messaged me about how move illegalities like unaware + softboiled clefable weren't getting resolved when that's part of the ruleset can u please hop on that

Last edited:

Ivy

resident enigma
is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributor
The moveset illegalities (with gen 1/2 specifics) are a weird choice imo. It ought to be like Cross Evolution, where all generational restrictions are lifted.
Also, something to consider is Stantler and Hitmon family getting 4 Sketches via Smeargle. I don't think they ought to be restricted due to being rather weak choices to be honest, but the absurd flexibility is definitely noteworthy.

also as my last move as mergemons leader serperior can no longer merge moves due to incredibly popular demand (and the fact that it's batshit insane lmao
I can get moves not being able to merge but Pokemon not being able to merge seems kinda complex. It'd be like a Pokemon banned from using any ability except their own in AAA. Just ban Serperior completely; nobody is gonna use it without merge anyway.

I can get moves not being able to merge but Pokemon not being able to merge seems kinda complex. It'd be like a Pokemon banned from using any ability except their own in AAA. Just ban Serperior completely; nobody is gonna use it without merge anyway.
aight bet, but either way i need someone else to take over

I'd like to mention something here. Due to the fact that tyrogue comes after smeargle, all hitmons get access to sketch. What sets can this bring up?

Hitmonlee (M) @ Focus Sash/White Herb
Ability: Unburden
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Spore
- Shell Smash
- Close Combat/High Jump Kick
- Power Trip/Sunsteel Strike

Hitmonlee is a massive threat once it gets a shell smash off. cc/power trip can easily shred any mon that isnt a fairy type, which you can spore and proceed to use them as setup fodder. The only issue is unaware clef, which you can trade power trip for sunsteel strike to kill it

I'd like to mention something here. Due to the fact that tyrogue comes after smeargle, all hitmons get access to sketch. What sets can this bring up?

Adamant Nature
- Spore
- Shell Smash

Hitmonlee is a massive threat once it gets a shell smash off. cc/power trip can easily shred any mon that isnt a fairy type, which you can spore and proceed to use them as setup fodder. The only issue is unaware clef, which you can trade power trip for sunsteel strike to kill it

SHell SMash can only be used by its original users

I've been theorymon Jirachi for a very long time since it gets a lot of great movepools coming from Deoxys and Rayquaza.

Jirachi @ Groundium Z / Electrium Z / Firium Z
Ability: Serene Grace
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Dragon Dance / Swords Dance
- Iron Head / Meteor Mash
- Earthquake
- Thunder Punch / V-Create

Jirachi @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 184 SpD / 72 Spe
Careful Nature
- Stealth Rock / Spikes
- Recover
- U-turn
- Iron Head / Knock Off

Jirachi @ Psychium Z
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Nasty Plot
- Psycho Boost / Psyshock
- Focus Blast / Fire Blast / Earth Power
- Fire Blast / Earth Power / Taunt

Jirachi @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Calm Mind
- Recover
- Psyshock
- Focus Blast / Substitute

Jirachi @ Choice Scarf
Jolly Nature
- U-turn
- Iron Head
- Earthquake
- Thunder Punch / V-Create / Trick / Knock Off

I compiled a list of the best mons that can both set and abuse Trick Room along with some possibly helpful inherited moves.

New Trick Room Setters:

Ferrothorn (magic coat / pursuit)
Volcanion (energy ball / spirit shackle)
Drampa (rapid spin)
Buzzwole (head smash / gunk shot)
Amoongus (scald / night shade)
Marowak (Rock Head wood hammer + flare blitz)
Mega Ampharos (sleep powder / strength sap)
Gigalith (low kick / wild charge)
Crawdaunt (explosion / rapid spin / stealth rock)
Conkeldurr (stealth rock / zen headbutt)
Tsareena (earthquake / swords dance) (weak but immune to priority)

Last edited:

Ivy

resident enigma

Adamant Nature
- Spore
- Shell Smash

Shell smash is now banned on PS as an inheriting move as was intended. However, that doesn't make these Sketch users any less potent. I'm a big fan of Technician Hitmontop with Shift Gear and Storm Throw and Gear Grind/Bonemerang plus some sort of utility move (perhaps Spore for easier setup).

Can someone tell me why magearna can't learn sunsteel strike? Or any solgalao moves?

Trying to make it anti-stall/setup:

Shift gear
Sunsteel strike
Spectral thief
Morning sun

Ivy

resident enigma
Can someone tell me why magearna can't learn sunsteel strike? Or any solgalao moves?

Trying to make it anti-stall/setup:

Shift gear
Sunsteel strike
Spectral thief
Morning sun
Its neighbors are Necrozma and Marshadow. In-game event moves are sort of iffy; Kyurem neighbors don't get Fusion moves and Necrozma neighbors don't get Sunsteel or Moongeist.

Shell smash is now banned on PS as an inheriting move as was intended. However, that doesn't make these Sketch users any less potent. I'm a big fan of Technician Hitmontop with Shift Gear and Storm Throw and Gear Grind/Bonemerang plus some sort of utility move (perhaps Spore for easier setup).
Shell Smash Stantler/Hitmons are still completely useable, unless they're banned but it hasnt been implemented yet

alephgalactus

Banned deucer.
Shell Smash Stantler/Hitmons are still completely useable, unless they're banned but it hasnt been implemented yet
I doubt Stantler and the Hitmons will be a hugely dominant force with Shell Smash. I’d suggest keeping it the way it is now, and fully implementing the ban if it turns out to be problematic.

737373elj

Banned deucer.
People please give your new god some love:

Shedinja @ Focus Sash
Ability: Wonder Guard
Shiny: Yes
Jolly Nature
- Endeavor
- Shadow Sneak
- Yawn
- Roar

According to the spreadsheet linked in the OP, only Hitmontop should be able to know Sketch, not Hitmonchan or Hitmonlee.

According to the spreadsheet linked in the OP, only Hitmontop should be able to know Sketch, not Hitmonchan or Hitmonlee.
The reason why Hitmonlee and Hitmonchan gets that because Hitmontop's preevolution, Tyrogue can evolve into either of these 3.

And this Rule would also apply:
NFEs get the moves of their full evos. That means Chansey gets Miltank's moves and Raikou's moves (like Blissey), for example.
And remember, NFE doesn't include only middle-stage evolution. Think about the actual NFE metagame, which has mons like Grimer-Alola and Vullaby legal. NFE stands for Non-Fully-Evolve, meaning this pokemon are not fully evolve. ( LC mons are included in NFE. )

As far as I'm concerned, I've found some sets that should be threats in the meta (I'm pretty new to this meta do not trust any of these words)

Noivern @ Power Herb
Ability: Infiltrator
Modest Nature
- Geomancy
- Dragon Pulse
- Heat Wave
- Flash Cannon

Gets Geomancy. That's it. I think it's not as powerful considering only 97 spA, but it gets wide neutral coverage and could be a surprise sweeper.

Scizor-Mega @ Scizorite
Ability: Technician
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Atk / 8 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Fell Stinger
- Bullet Punch
- Aqua Jet
- U-turn

Gets fell stinger WTF, with +3 then it's priority sweep from 438 atk. Aqua jet covers fire types that forces him out, and... that's pretty much self explanatory.

Registeel @ Leftovers
Ability: Clear Body
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Thunder Wave
- Healing Wish
- Recover

Emmmmm kinda niche support set with access to recover now. Considering a bunch of sweepers here so there's healing wish.

Primarina @ Choice Specs
Ability: Liquid Voice
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpA / 4 SpD
Modest Nature
- Boomburst
- Moonblast
- Focus Blast
- Heat Wave

THAT BIG BOIIIIIIiiiii~~~
well 386 spA specsed with 140 power STAB.

Venusaur-Mega @ Venusaurite
Ability: Chlorophyll
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Leech Seed
- Sludge Bomb
- Volt Switch
- Protect/Roost

I forgot why it was here~
it has volt switch and more reliable recovery now I guess
and dont think my EVs are reliable

Yanmega @ Focus Sash
Ability: Speed Boost
Modest Nature
- Nasty Plot
- Air Slash
- Aura Sphere
- Bug Buzz

Basic setup sweeper. Aura Sphere is pretty good coverage too.

Escavalier @ Leftovers
Ability: Overcoat
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 SpD
Careful Nature
- Spore
- U-turn
- Knock Off
- Roost

Gives safe switch ins for those sweepers.

Keldeo @ Choice Specs
Ability: Justified
Timid Nature
- Secret Sword
- Hydro Pump
- Ice Beam
- Thunderbolt

Super wide coverage paired with great stats.

Mudsdale @ Leftovers
Ability: Stamina
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 Def
Impish Nature
- Recover
- Earthquake
- Roar
- Rock Slide

Recovery changes everything

Hydreigon @ Life Orb
Ability: Levitate
Modest Nature
- Quiver Dance
- Dark Pulse
- Dragon Pulse
- Flash Cannon

QD matches perfectly with its stats, outspeeding base 150s and gets pretty high attacks.

Xurkitree @ Life Orb
Ability: Beast Boost
- Thunderbolt
- Ice Beam
- Quiver Dance
- Flamethrower

Same thing. Even higher attacks

Tapu Lele @ Life Orb
Ability: Psychic Surge
Modest Nature
- Agility
- Psyshock
- Moonblast
- Shadow Ball

Agility sweep without priority moves (Scizor~) blocking your way yay

Gravity Monkey

Que des barz comme si jtais au hebs
is a Top Artist
Can we all agree that Hitmonstuffs having access to sketch is stupidly broken? Like I know they are supposed to learn sketch only once but obviously it doesn't seem to be implemented, if it's not possible to do I think we should just make sketch unable to be merged.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)