Partially Approved mention Dynamax Cannon cannot be Encored in move description

Current: In gen 9 formats, Dynamax Cannon mentions having no additional effects. This is incorrect. Encore fails when used on Dynamax Cannon. This is already included in the battle text for Encore, and should be included in Dynamax Cannon.

1680461697821.png

Change: In Gen 9 formats, change "No additional effect" to "Unaffected by Encore."

This is not an extraneous change because players in Ubers using Eternatus may not otherwise think to use this move to bypass Encore. I've included images of other moves to show that mentioning specific immunities in move text is not unprecedented.

1680461933775.png

1680462035236.png

DaWoblefet

Demonstrably so
is a Battle Simulator Administratoris a Community Leaderis a Programmeris a Community Contributoris a Top Researcheris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnus
PS Admin
There are plenty of moves that can't be Encored; it's not unique to Dynamax Cannon.
1680536947827.png

We don't typically include move flags in descriptions because there's often a lot of them. Dynamax Cannon itself, for example, is blocked by Protect, can't be called by Sleep Talk, can't be used twice by Parental Bond, can't be copied by Copycat, can't be repeated by Instruct, and can't be copied by Mimic. We could do it checkmark-style (e.g. how contact moves are done), but that would be an awful lot to include in /dt.

It makes more sense to me to include an interaction with Encore in Encore's move description, not Dynamax Cannon's. If we did it for Dynamax Cannon and Encore, you'd probably have to do it for all other moves and Encore, and all other moves and any of the other "can't do this" flags, which just seems unnecessary.

Your logic holds. I will offer one rebuttal point saying that dynamax cannon specifically is the only move on that list aside from encore that anyone is actually using in gen 9, and that "no additional effect" is a bit too presumptive. The argument more or less boils down to the fact that there is overall greater good from adding the line to the move than not: there will be people who benefit from it being added, unlike the text being added to any of those other moves.

If not that, then yeah, i agree this sort of precedent would be unnecessary:
If we did it for Dynamax Cannon and Encore, you'd probably have to do it for all other moves and Encore, and all other moves and any of the other "can't do this" flags, which just seems unnecessary.

Marty

Always more to find
is a Site Content Manageris a Battle Simulator Administratoris a Programmeris a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Top Researcheris a Top Tiering Contributor
Research Leader
10 years ago flags were actually mentioned in the text of each move, and then I refactored all of it out so the client could do the work for me. Zarel later replaced what I did (but not one-to-one) with the current weird checkmark system he partially pulled out of the PSdex.

Either way, "No additional effect." as a description is accurate for Gen 9 and won't be changed; other information related to interactions with other effects (i.e. flags) should be appended to the end of that (programmatically) instead of completely removing it.

There are plenty of moves that can't be Encored; it's not unique to Dynamax Cannon.
View attachment 504898

We don't typically include move flags in descriptions because there's often a lot of them. Dynamax Cannon itself, for example, is blocked by Protect, can't be called by Sleep Talk, can't be used twice by Parental Bond, can't be copied by Copycat, can't be repeated by Instruct, and can't be copied by Mimic. We could do it checkmark-style (e.g. how contact moves are done), but that would be an awful lot to include in /dt.

It makes more sense to me to include an interaction with Encore in Encore's move description, not Dynamax Cannon's. If we did it for Dynamax Cannon and Encore, you'd probably have to do it for all other moves and Encore, and all other moves and any of the other "can't do this" flags, which just seems unnecessary.
Can I ask if you have a source to show Dynamax Cannon being unaffected by Parental Bond? I found out that it is according to Showdown just now and I'm a little puzzled as to why since I can't find any proof of that anywhere...

DaWoblefet

Demonstrably so
is a Battle Simulator Administratoris a Community Leaderis a Programmeris a Community Contributoris a Top Researcheris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnus
PS Admin
Can I ask if you have a source to show Dynamax Cannon being unaffected by Parental Bond? I found out that it is according to Showdown just now and I'm a little puzzled as to why since I can't find any proof of that anywhere...
Move data dumps (courtesy of Anubis)

Self-Destruct
Explosion
Rollout
Endeavor
Ice Ball
Fling
Final Gambit
Dynamax Cannon
Stuff Cheeks
No Retreat
Tar Shot
Magic Powder
Dragon Darts
Teatime
Octolock
Court Change
Clangorous Soul
Decorate
Life Dew
Obstruct

This list is identical to SwSh (which we found out through BDSP, also again thanks to Anubis). Dynamax Cannon and Dragon Darts are the only new moves on this list that can even conceivably matter, though, since the rest are status.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)