Metagame Megamons

Thought I'd volunteer and make a rough VR for Megamons.

Do note, this is a rough list made by one person and NOT a final product or be-all end-all list. I may very well be wrong on these or even be missing some and I apologize if I am. Just about everything is up for discussion and you can discuss about placements if you want, this is just an approximation of what I feel their placements are and not necessarily factual.

(ROUGH) Megamons Viability Ranking List

Rank Placement Definitions:
  • S Rank: Absolute powerhouse of the tier. Universal staples that you MUST be prepared for at all times or you risk being completely swept away because of their mere presence.
  • A Rank: Solid meta contenders. It’s possible to beat these without focusing specifically on them, but they can still provide excellent support or powerful muscle for any team and should be addressed before starting the meta. These are the meta’s staples that offer great reward for only minor risk.
  • B Rank: Okay, just not the best. While not as generally amazing as A Rank, these are still live meta threats that can, in the right hands, be very successful. Not always easy to splash in and run, but can be just as effective as A Rank when properly piloted.
  • C Rank: Niche, but still usable. There might be better options to choose from, but it is still possible to use these as niche if not admittedly gimmicky options. They work, but you need to be exceptionally skilled to make them work at their fullest.
  • D Rank: Just no. Whether it by their lack of overall usability, being outclassed by others, or simply being in the wrong environment, there is little to no reason to run these seriously in the meta.

S Rank:
Arceus (no specific formes)
Groudon-Primal
Mewtwo-Mega-X
Salamence-Mega

A+ Rank:
Lucario-Mega
Marshadow
Mawile-Mega

A Rank:
Gyarados-Mega
Kyogre-Primal
Necrozma-Dusk-Mane

A- Rank:
Diancie-Mega
Kangaskhan-Mega
Scizor-Mega
Slowbro-Mega
Xerneas

B+ Rank:
Beedrill-Mega
Charizard-Mega-Y
Lunala
Metagross-Mega
Yveltal

B Rank:
Aerodactyl-Mega
Ho-oh
Medicham-Mega
Sableye-Mega
Tyranitar-Mega

B- Rank:
Aggron-Mega
Alakazam-Mega
Giratina
Latias-Mega
Latios-Mega
Lopunny-Mega
Lugia
Pheromosa
Venusaur-Mega

C+ Rank:
Aegislash
Audino-Mega
Ferrothorn
Gardevoir-Mega
Manectric-Mega
Pinsir-Mega
Zekrom

C Rank:
Altaria-Mega
Banette-Mega
Blastoise-Mega
Camerupt-Mega
Deoxys-Speed
Garchomp-Mega
Steelix-Mega
Swampert-Mega

C- Rank:
Charizard-Mega-X
Glalie-Mega
Heracross-Mega
Pidgeot-Mega

D Rank:
Absol-Mega
Abomasnow-Mega
Ampharos-Mega
Gallade-Mega
Houndoom-Mega
Sceptile-Mega
Sharpedo-Mega

Lolbanned Rank:
Blaziken-Mega
Gengar-Mega
Mewtwo-Mega-Y

Last edited:

Annika

is a Battle Simulator Administratoris a Community Leaderis a Programmer
PS Admin

Do note, this is a rough list made by one person and NOT a final product or be-all end-all list. I may very well be wrong on these or even be missing some and I apologize if I am. Just about everything is up for discussion and you can discuss about placements if you want, this is just an approximation of what I feel their placements are and not necessarily factual.

• S Rank: Absolute powerhouse of the tier. Universal staples that you MUST be prepared for at all times or you risk being completely swept away because of their mere presence.
  • A Rank: Solid meta contenders. It’s possible to beat these without focusing specifically on them, but they can still provide excellent support or powerful muscle for any team and should be addressed before starting the meta. These are the meta’s staples that offer great reward for only minor risk.
  • B Rank: Okay, just not the best. While not as generally amazing as A Rank, these are still live meta threats that can, in the right hands, be very successful. Not always easy to splash in and run, but can be just as effective as A Rank when properly piloted.
  • C Rank: Niche, but still usable. There might be better options to choose from, but it is still possible to use these as niche if not admittedly gimmicky options. They work, but you need to be exceptionally skilled to make them work at their fullest.
  • D Rank: Just no. Whether it by their lack of overall usability, being outclassed by others, or simply being in the wrong environment, there is little to no reason to run these seriously in the meta.

S Rank:
Groudon-Primal
Mewtwo-Mega-X
Salamence-Mega

A+ Rank:
Lucario-Mega
Marshadow
Mawile-Mega

A Rank:
Gyarados-Mega
Kyogre-Primal
Necrozma-Dusk-Mane

A- Rank:
Diancie-Mega
Kangaskhan-Mega
Scizor-Mega
Slowbro-Mega
Xerneas

B+ Rank:
Beedrill-Mega
Charizard-Mega-Y
Lunala
Metagross-Mega
Yveltal

B Rank:
Aerodactyl-Mega
Ho-oh
Medicham-Mega
Sableye-Mega
Tyranitar-Mega

B- Rank:
Aggron-Mega
Alakazam-Mega
Giratina
Latias-Mega
Latios-Mega
Lugia
Pheromosa
Venusaur-Mega

C+ Rank:
Aegislash
Audino-Mega
Ferrothorn
Gardevoir-Mega
Lopunny-Mega
Manectric-Mega
Pinsir-Mega
Zekrom

C Rank:
Altaria-Mega
Banette-Mega
Blastoise-Mega
Camerupt-Mega
Deoxys-Speed
Garchomp-Mega
Steelix-Mega
Swampert-Mega

C- Rank:
Charizard-Mega-X
Glalie-Mega
Heracross-Mega
Pidgeot-Mega

D Rank:
Absol-Mega
Abomasnow-Mega
Ampharos-Mega
Gallade-Mega
Houndoom-Mega
Sceptile-Mega
Sharpedo-Mega

Lolbanned Rank:
Blaziken-Mega
Gengar-Mega
Mewtwo-Mega-Y
Wow, that looks awesome!
Personally, I'd move Lopunny to B or so. The Endure + Salac + Flail set can destroy unprepared HO teams and counter many Choice-locked mons. Alternatively a banded set can be run to surprise things that avoid attacking (predicting Endure).

Going to post my thoughts on the following mons:

Salamence-Mega @ Life Orb / Sky Plate / Yache Berry
Ability: Aerilate
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Double-Edge / Return
- Earthquake / Facade
- Roost

Salamence-Mega @ Choice Band
Jolly / Adamant Nature
- Double-Edge
- Facade
- Earthquake
- Filler

Salamence-Mega @ Flame Orb
Adamant Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Facade
- Iron Defense
- Roost

Very problematic mon IMO and can be possibly suspected, lacks switch-ins because it can tie with Arceus forms and it 2HKOs then with either Double-Edge or Earthquake (for like Rockceus). Not even MegaBro can answer this reliably without the correct moveset, as only Ice Beam + Iron Defense can answer all variant (You need Ice Beam for Flame Orb and Iron Defense for Yache). And then they bring Adamant Band and 2HKO you... The other possible answer is Celesteela but that gets worned down by repeated Double-Edges and lacks reliable recovery. On the possible viability rankings that is coming out soon this should be like S+ with PDon.

Mewtwo-Mega-X @ Life Orb
Ability: Steadfast
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Jolly / Naive Nature
- Low Kick
- Ice Beam
- Shadow Ball
- Zen Headbutt / Taunt / Filler

Mewtwo-Mega-X @ Life Orb
Jolly / Naive Nature
- Drain Punch
- Zen Headbutt
- Bulk Up
- Shadow Ball

Personally I don't find this mon that bad, it needs Ice Beam to hit stuff like MegaMence, Shadow Ball to hit MegaBro and Lunala, which leaves little room to break through sturdy answers like Defensive Ho-Oh and Fairyceus. It also doesn't force out as many mons as Mence and PDon can check it if needed.

Lucario-Mega @ Life Orb
Ability: Adaptability
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Close Combat
- Meteor Mash
- Bullet Punch

Lucario-Mega @ Fightinium Z
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Nasty Plot
- Focus Blast
- Flash Cannon
- Vacuum Wave

Lucario-Mega @ Choice Band
Jolly Nature
- Close Combat
- Meteor Mash
- Bullet Punch
- Rock Slide / Bone Rush

The most scary aspect of this mon is its ability to boost with either SD or NP along with the powerful priority it packs. However, it is basically hard walled by Ho-Oh and MegaBro if not NP (and Pex). Groundceus can switch in to eat a CC and retaliate with Judgment, and Groudon can check if unboosted. The good thing is it cannot boost its speed so it can be RKed by faster mons that can take either a +2 Bullet Punch or Vacuum Wave.

Groudon @ Red Orb
Ability: Drought
EVs: 252 SpA / 100 SpD / 156 Spe
Mild Nature
- Rock Polish
- Precipice Blades
- Fire Blast
- Hidden Power Ice

Groudon @ Red Orb
EVs: 144 HP / 156 Atk / 56 SpD / 152 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Swords Dance
- Precipice Blades
- Rock Tomb

Groudon @ Red Orb
EVs: 252 Atk / 100 SpD / 156 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Rock Polish
- Swords Dance
- Precipice Blades
- Stone Edge

Despite the popularity of MegaMence as long as PDon has Rock moves or HPI it isn't actually a problem and can actually check it in cases. RP PDon is so good against offense and is honestly its best set in this metagame with its ability to break past MegaMence and Bro. Other sets are interesting too to break past checks like Ho-Oh and Max Def Chansey. Also has amazing defensive utility as it has immense bulk to blanket check a lot of physical attackers.

Diancie-Mega @ Focus Sash
Ability: Magic Bounce
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Moonblast
- Explosion
- Endeavor / Earth Power / Diamond Storm

It probably is still a really good lead for HO but I think people have started preparing for it. Mirror MUs are heavily dependant on speed ties while MegaZam leads can trade vs Diancie or predict the Explosion and play mind games. Supportceus formes with Defog can lead against it by EVing to speed creep it (and Luke while they are at it).

I haven't seen much of it on the ladder - to my surprise - but I think Gengar merits some discussion. While it can't hold an item, it no longer has the opportunity cost of taking up a mega slot. I guess one could retort that Megas like Slowbro can use shed shell, but that can be removed with trick/switcheroo or knock off. Not to mention, not being able to use another item is rather costly.

For example, while it may seem insignificant, leftovers can make or break Mega Slowbro. Life orb Lucario can 2HKO after a swords dance without lefties. Latias also struggles to check several Pokemon if it opts to use shed shell. This is not so these Pokemon can check Mega Gengar, but just avoid being trapped, so it's not like choosing between checks.

Gengar can form frightening offensive cores with other Megas, like Lucario and Salamence. Gengar eliminates Pokemon that check its partners, which then set up and sweep.

drampa's grandpa

cannonball
is a Community Contributoris a Community Leader Alumnus
Going to post my thoughts on the following mons:

Salamence-Mega @ Life Orb / Sky Plate / Yache Berry
Adamant Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Double-Edge / Return
- Earthquake / Facade
- Roost

Salamence-Mega @ Choice Band
Jolly / Adamant Nature
- Double-Edge
- Facade
- Earthquake
- Filler

Salamence-Mega @ Flame Orb
Adamant Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Facade
- Iron Defense
- Roost

Very problematic mon IMO and can be possibly suspected, lacks switch-ins because it can tie with Arceus forms and it 2HKOs then with either Double-Edge or Earthquake (for like Rockceus). Not even MegaBro can answer this reliably without the correct moveset, as only Ice Beam + Iron Defense can answer all variant (You need Ice Beam for Flame Orb and Iron Defense for Yache). And then they bring Adamant Band and 2HKO you... The other possible answer is Celesteela but that gets worned down by repeated Double-Edges and lacks reliable recovery. On the possible viability rankings that is coming out soon this should be like S+ with PDon.

Mewtwo-Mega-X @ Life Orb
Jolly / Naive Nature
- Low Kick
- Ice Beam
- Shadow Ball
- Zen Headbutt / Taunt / Filler

Mewtwo-Mega-X @ Life Orb
Jolly / Naive Nature
- Drain Punch
- Zen Headbutt
- Bulk Up
- Shadow Ball

Personally I don't find this mon that bad, it needs Ice Beam to hit stuff like MegaMence, Shadow Ball to hit MegaBro and Lunala, which leaves little room to break through sturdy answers like Defensive Ho-Oh and Fairyceus. It also doesn't force out as many mons as Mence and PDon can check it if needed.

Lucario-Mega @ Life Orb
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Close Combat
- Meteor Mash
- Bullet Punch

Lucario-Mega @ Fightinium Z
Timid Nature
- Nasty Plot
- Focus Blast
- Flash Cannon
- Vacuum Wave

Lucario-Mega @ Choice Band
Jolly Nature
- Close Combat
- Meteor Mash
- Bullet Punch
- Rock Slide / Bone Rush

The most scary aspect of this mon is its ability to boost with either SD or NP along with the powerful priority it packs. However, it is basically hard walled by Ho-Oh and MegaBro if not NP (and Pex). Groundceus can switch in to eat a CC and retaliate with Judgment, and Groudon can check if unboosted. The good thing is it cannot boost its speed so it can be RKed by faster mons that can take either a +2 Bullet Punch or Vacuum Wave.

Groudon @ Red Orb
EVs: 252 SpA / 100 SpD / 156 Spe
Mild Nature
- Rock Polish
- Precipice Blades
- Fire Blast
- Hidden Power Ice

Groudon @ Red Orb
EVs: 144 HP / 156 Atk / 56 SpD / 152 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Swords Dance
- Precipice Blades
- Rock Tomb

Groudon @ Red Orb
EVs: 252 Atk / 100 SpD / 156 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Rock Polish
- Swords Dance
- Precipice Blades
- Stone Edge

Despite the popularity of MegaMence as long as PDon has Rock moves or HPI it isn't actually a problem and can actually check it in cases. RP PDon is so good against offense and is honestly its best set in this metagame with its ability to break past MegaMence and Bro. Other sets are interesting too to break past checks like Ho-Oh and Max Def Chansey. Also has amazing defensive utility as it has immense bulk to blanket check a lot of physical attackers.

Diancie-Mega @ Focus Sash
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Moonblast
- Explosion
- Endeavor / Earth Power / Diamond Storm

It probably is still a really good lead for HO but I think people have started preparing for it. Mirror MUs are heavily dependant on speed ties while MegaZam leads can trade vs Diancie or predict the Explosion and play mind games. Supportceus formes with Defog can lead against it by EVing to speed creep it (and Luke while they are at it).
I would just like to point out that specs Salamence completely obliterates both Slowbro and Steela

252 SpA Choice Specs Aerilate Salamence-Mega Hyper Voice vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Slowbro-Mega: 208-246 (52.7 - 62.4%) -- 99.6% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery (awful spread btw)

252 SpA Choice Specs Salamence-Mega Fire Blast vs. 248 HP / 0 SpD Celesteela: 338-398 (85.1 - 100.2%) -- 81.3% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery

Specs Mence is a good mon on its own merits so its not like you're running it just to hit bro or steels (or aggron). It breaks a ton of stuff, and you can run Double-edge in the last slot to abuse special walls. (0 Atk Aerilate Salamence-Mega Double-Edge vs. 4 HP / 252+ Def Eviolite Chansey: 283-334 (44 - 52%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock)

Honestly I think a Mence suspect / ban should be a conversation rn. Its ability to win versus basically every switchin while finding setup opportunities versus pretty much every playstyle is pretty overwhelming. On the flip side it's outsped preboost by a number of notable mons, its ice weakness is easy to prey on, and rocks weakness limits switchin opportunities, especially if it's also taking double-edge chip. What do y'all think?

May edit this a bit, made on mobile

S Rank:
Groudon-Primal
Mewtwo-Mega-X
Salamence-Mega

A+ Rank:
Lucario-Mega
Marshadow
Mawile-Mega

A Rank:
Gyarados-Mega
Kyogre-Primal
Necrozma-Dusk-Mane

A- Rank:
Diancie-Mega
Kangaskhan-Mega
Scizor-Mega
Slowbro-Mega
Xerneas

B+ Rank:
Beedrill-Mega
Charizard-Mega-Y
Lunala
Metagross-Mega
Yveltal

B Rank:
Aerodactyl-Mega
Ho-oh
Medicham-Mega
Sableye-Mega
Tyranitar-Mega

B- Rank:
Aggron-Mega
Alakazam-Mega
Giratina
Latias-Mega
Latios-Mega
Lopunny-Mega
Lugia
Pheromosa
Venusaur-Mega

C+ Rank:
Aegislash
Audino-Mega
Ferrothorn
Gardevoir-Mega
Manectric-Mega
Pinsir-Mega
Zekrom

C Rank:
Altaria-Mega
Banette-Mega
Blastoise-Mega
Camerupt-Mega
Deoxys-Speed
Garchomp-Mega
Steelix-Mega
Swampert-Mega

C- Rank:
Charizard-Mega-X
Glalie-Mega
Heracross-Mega
Pidgeot-Mega

D Rank:
Absol-Mega
Abomasnow-Mega
Ampharos-Mega
Gallade-Mega
Houndoom-Mega
Sceptile-Mega
Sharpedo-Mega

Lolbanned Rank:
Blaziken-Mega
Gengar-Mega
Mewtwo-Mega-Y
IMO Gengarite Gengar deserves a ranking at least at in C Rank, since STag is hella broken and can be useful in a myriad of situations (especially in and against stall). Yes, you miss the opportunity to run other useful mons, but it's justificable enough to be used on serious teams.

Other things that deserves discussion are Arceus Forms, specially Ground, Water, Fairy, Normal (Extreme Killer) and Dark. I find that they are kinda underrated in this meta due to the higher power level compared to Ubers, but that doesn't means they don't have niches. In my previous post I mentioned how effective Darkceus is as a check to special Psychic types (and Unecro).

You DID see that Arceus is S rank in NTK's list?

I'm also jumping ship and saying that Mega Mence isn't broken. Asked Chloe about it on Showdown last week and the points outlined (still revenged by some really fast Scarfers after a boost, susceptibility to priority, lots of mons that can threaten it before it ever boosts, including max Speed Arceus which can outright OHKO with Ice Beam on literally any of its types) alongside looking for those points and passively building multiple redundant checks into teambuilding that all serve additional purposes (which is really how most S ranks threats should be treated) all kept Salamence from being overwhelming.

What I would like to talk about is Deoxys-S and Skill Swap. This absolutely dumpsters lead Diancie and I love it.

I’d probably put Lunala in A, Tyranitar-Mega in A-, Deoxys-Speed in B+ and Mawile-Mega drop to B+. This meta is very offensive and while Mawile is very hard to switch into, it doesn’t do anything impressive and the boss of Uber (PDon) hard checks it.

Physical MegaMence isn't too hard to check, but mixed sets are more threatening. Flame orb with facade plus hyper voice; life orb return and hyper voice; drop a draco. These sets allow MegaMence to counter traditional checks like MegaBro and Zapdos (draco), while still checking special walls (*cough* Chansey *cough*).

Not to mention the terrifying choice band set. Outrage, thrash, EQ, whatever.

manu 11

When someone asks me if i am indian because of my name
is a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Yo, thought i would share my thoughts on the meta since i play it a lot and i feel like this om deserves more discussion.

Surprisingly, stall is really viable in this meta. Slowbro-mega, Aggron-mega, Tyranitar-mega, Sableye-mega and other defensive pokes with lefties or other items become insanley good, while the usual ubers stall poke remain very good such as Arceus (mainly fairy and ground), Giratina or Chansey.

I see people talk a lot about Salamence-mega, but actually i feel it isn't that op. It is definitely good and has a lot of viable sets, be it offensive or defensive, but it can be checked imo. The really annoying sets to me are the bulky offensive ones (basically the ones with longevity), mainly the refresh one as it forces you to run specific moves (that deal heavy damage and not just status) like ice beam on Slowbro-mega and the iron defense with flame orb as it checks priority and foul play Ttar-mega. To be honest i find mega-lucario to be much more threatening to stall due to how it can get a +2 in either attack or special attack and if you sent the wrong check, you probably lose a poke.

Regarding the VR, i think A rank pokes and A- rank pokes should swap places. Gyarados-mega needs to set up and even then it hardly deals heavy damage. With the omnipresence of Pdon, Kyogre-primal isn't that op and it lacks speed in this kind of meta where everything hits like a tank. Necrozma-Dusk-Mane can remain in A rank due to how it can be special or physical, both with a very good moveset.

Diancie-mega, Slowbro-mega and Xerneas definitely deserve to be higher. Diancie-mega is free rocks in so many matchups while also preventing it, it can bring pokes who usually counter it to 1hp with Focus sash and endeavor or « counter » defog by using explosion. Slowbro-mega checks any physical attacker be it Lucario-mega, Salamence-mega, Mewtwo-X, Mawile-mega or Pdon and forces them to run mixed sets to beat it. Moreover with shell armor and moves such as calm mind and iron defense, it can become very hard to kill without status. Finally, Xerneas is just Xerneas. It has a harder time setting up and sweeping than in ubers due to bullet punch being used a lot more (Lucario-mega, Scizor-mega) and just pokes hitting harder but it can still destroy teams pretty easily.

For the rest i agree with Chopin's post. Ho-oh could be higher too. It has a lot of potential on stall teams and a band/scarf set always works. Finally, Gengar should be on the vr. I fought it only once but it is actually insanely annoying to face if you use stall. I was hard pressured each time my opponent brought one of its offense poke as i couldn't carelessly send my counter/check.

Concerning MMX, life orb mixed is definitely its best set. Low kick deals great damage on so many pokes. From what i have seen people run either tbolt, ice beam or shadow ball for the special moves. I prefer running electroball over tbolt as it OHKO's Slowbro-mega and you basically run tbolt to deal with Slowbro-mega. Zen headbutt with psychic terrain is another powerful set.

Wanted to mention Trick room teams too because you can actually throw off a lot of teams with it. This playstyle has great potential with Heracross-mega, Camerupt-mega, Mawile-mega or Ampharos-mega as speed is so important in this tier.

Gonna finish by talking about Scizor-mega as i haven't seen much talk about it. I find it insanely useful on stall especially with knock off. Stall vs stall matchup can be very difficult and knock off is pretty helpful in those kind of matches as removing just a leftovers can be huge on the long run. I run sword dance/knock off/bullet punch/roost. This replay shows the importance of Scizor-mega against stall and how useful removing lefties is against a sableye-mega in the long run https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7megamons-873104952 (got lucky with toxic missing as it was bounced off). This one shows how Scizor-mega with sword dance can just clean against stall as he probably expected a normal u-turn set and kinda let both his checks be weakened https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7megamons-873502813

That's it for now, might post my team later. This om is great.

Last edited:
Just wanna point out that Mbro without Toxic or Iron Defense is kinda-sorta-not-really set-up bait for SD Pdon. +2 Precipice Blades is a very clean 2HKO, so it doesn't force you to go mixed at all.

manu 11

Just wanna point out that Mbro without Toxic or Iron Defense is kinda-sorta-not-really set-up bait for SD Pdon. +2 Precipice Blades is a very clean 2HKO, so it doesn't force you to go mixed at all.
I mean, Slowbro-mega without iron defense is like going against the purpose of even having Slowbro-mega on your team. The association of iron defense with shell armor is one of the aspects that makes it so good. The only reason to not run it would be to have a trick room Slowbro-mega or a rest/calm mind set because it would fulfill a different purpose. If you are trying to check/counter physically offensive pokes then Iron defense is mandatory.

Also, at full health Slowbro-mega will live and could potentially iron defense/slack off his way out as Primal-Groudon needs good rolls to 2HKO Slowbro-mega with leftovers, you also need to hit 2 Precipice Blades which i never manage to do unfort :(. Moreover, Slowbro-mega could just have counter. In that sense it "forces" you tu run mixed. I will agree that Primal-Groudon is the one with the most chances of actually killing Slowbro-mega with physical moves from the pokes i listed since it can get +2 in one turn (which Salamence-mega and MMX can't do, while both stab moves of Lucario-mega are not very effective) and has a move of 180 of power without being super-effective.

Just want to point out that Medicham and Mawile can beat Slowbro with thunder punch, especially with a boosting item and/or koko support (which I've seen). So, Groudon isn't the only Pokemon that can potentially beat Slowbro without special moves.

On the note of Lucario being a threat to stall, I wholeheartedly agree. Special sets dunk on Slowbro, even with only STAB moves (not to mention dark pulse destroys it). Aura sphere is too much for Chansey. Zapdos is a decent check, and it checks Mence as well, but I am not sure how well it fits on Mega stall. Specially defensive Latias is okay, but it can't do much back to Lucario. Definitely a hard to check threat.

Speaking of Latias, it can replace Giratina quite well. Reliable recovery makes it much more appealing, and levitate allows it check Groudon. Checks Kyogre as well.

This is my version of the VR that has been edited from the Ubers VR in accordance to the different metagame. The link on each Pokemon leads to the Ubers analysis while the links for the Mega Pokemon lead to a Pokepaste with viable sets (for the Megamons that I actually know the standard set for), comments are for other options. My draft got deleted so now I'm lazy so this will be only up to B- rank. Note that Pokemon are ranked within subranks and not by alphabetical order.

S Rank

S+

Primal Groudon

S

Mega Salamence

Dusk Mane Necrozma

Mega Gengar

Mega Slowbro

A Rank

A+

Yveltal

Arceus-Ground

Mega Lucario

Zygarde-C

Ultra Necrozma

Xerneas

Marshadow

Mega Mewtwo X

A

Ho-Oh

Primal Kyogre

Mega Diancie

Arceus-Dark

Mega Scizor

Arceus-Water

Arceus-Normal

Mega Tyranitar

A-

Lunala

Ferrothorn

Magearna

Arceus-Fairy

Mega Sableye

B Rank

B+

Giratina-O

Mega Beedrill

Toxapex

Skarmory

Mega Lopunny (Need sets)

Mega Gyarados (Need sets)

Arceus-Flying

Mega Alakazam

Rayquaza

Deoxys-A

Cloyster

B

Gothitelle / Gothorita

Lugia

Celesteela

Mega Venusaur

Arceus-Rock

Mega Manectric

Blissey

Chansey

Giratina

Ditto

Naganadel

B-

Mega Latias

Mega Latios (Need sets)

Mega Metagross (Need sets)

Mega Charizard Y (Need sets)

Palkia

Mega Aggron (Need sets)

Mega Garchomp (Need sets)

Klefki

Arceus-Poison

Mega Banette (Need sets)

In addition, as to not double post, I would like to drop two stall teams that have done quite well on ladder.
Semistall
Stall

manu 11

This is my version of the VR that has been edited from the Ubers VR in accordance to the different metagame. The link on each Pokemon leads to the Ubers analysis while the links for the Mega Pokemon lead to a Pokepaste with viable sets (for the Megamons that I actually know the standard set for), comments are for other options. My draft got deleted so now I'm lazy so this will be only up to B- rank. Note that Pokemon are ranked within subranks and not by alphabetical order.

S Rank

S+

Primal Groudon

S

Mega Salamence

Dusk Mane Necrozma

Mega Gengar

Mega Slowbro

A Rank

A+

Yveltal

Arceus-Ground

Mega Lucario

Zygarde-C

Ultra Necrozma

Xerneas

Marshadow

Mega Mewtwo X

A

Ho-Oh

Primal Kyogre

Mega Diancie

Arceus-Dark

Mega Scizor

Arceus-Water

Arceus-Normal

Mega Tyranitar

A-

Lunala

Ferrothorn

Magearna

Arceus-Fairy

Mega Sableye

B Rank

B+

Giratina-O

Mega Beedrill

Toxapex

Skarmory

Mega Lopunny (Need sets)

Mega Gyarados (Need sets)

Arceus-Flying

Mega Alakazam

Rayquaza

Deoxys-A

Cloyster

B

Gothitelle / Gothorita

Lugia

Celesteela

Mega Venusaur

Arceus-Rock

Mega Manectric

Blissey

Chansey

Giratina

Ditto

Naganadel

B-

Mega Latias

Mega Latios (Need sets)

Mega Metagross (Need sets)

Mega Charizard Y (Need sets)

Palkia

Mega Aggron (Need sets)

Mega Garchomp (Need sets)

Klefki

Arceus-Poison

Mega Banette (Need sets)

In addition, as to not double post, I would like to drop two stall teams that have done quite well on ladder.
Semistall
Stall
Interesting VR, this could serve as sort of setpedia for the mega but some pokemon should definitely be in other ranks. Zygarde-C and Magearna should probably be lower. The first one has barely any usage as it has a harder time getting in the complete form. Its ice weakness is also more present since Salamence-Mega is so much used. I feel that apart from being a good Primal-Groudon counter and a decent check to Lucario-Mega it doesn't do much. It actually isn't bad in megamons but it feels a bit high considering the rest of the pokemon in A+ rank.

Magearna should also be lower imo. Like it is actually higher than Chansey/Blissey and Lugia in your VR which is weird because they are better at doing what magearna can do. I see its potential as Xerneas counter but for the rest it seems to be at a huge disadvantage against a lot of threats of Megamons like Primal-Groudon, Lucario-Mega, Scizor-Mega and even Salamence-Mega as Earthquake with life does between 85%-96%. It does have a niche due to its typing and its moveset allowing it to check Xerneas, Yveltal and psychic terrain abusers but other pokemon do this better imo.

Last little thing concerns Arceus-Fairy. It should be next to Arceus-Ground. Or at least in the same rank as Arceus-Dark and Water. It is extremly good in Megamons as Fairy Judgment hits a lot of threats of Megamons while it can shut down the ones that resist it with Will-O-Wisp most of the time.

Just going to give some sets for the megas where you don't have one.

Lopunny-Mega @ Normalium Z
Ability: Scrappy
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Splash
- High Jump Kick
- Return
- Quick Attack

Lopunny-Mega @ Life Orb
Jolly Nature
- Ice Punch
- Return
- Power-Up Punch/Fake Out
- High Jump Kick

Lopunny-Mega @ Salac Berry/Liechi Berry
Jolly Nature
- Endure
- Flail
- High Jump Kick
- Ice Punch

No idea for ev spread
Gyarados-Mega @ Normalium Z
Ability: Mold Breaker
Jolly Nature
- Celebrate
- Waterfall
- Crunch
- Earthquake

Gyarados-Mega @ Aguav Berry
Jolly Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Waterfall
- Crunch
- Earthquake

Terrible but beats any stall without Arceus-Fairy/Xerneas
Gyarados-Mega @ Leftovers
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SpD
Impish Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Crunch
- Rest
- Sleep Talk

Metagross-Mega @ Choice Band
Ability: Tough Claws
Jolly Nature
- Ice Punch
- Meteor Mash
- Bullet Punch
- Earthquake

Salamence-Mega "check"
Metagross-Mega @ Shuca Berry
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Atk / 8 Def
Serious Nature
- Ice Punch
- Meteor Mash
- Stealth Rock
- Toxic

Metagross-Mega @ Life Orb
Adamant Nature
- Rock Polish
- Meteor Mash
- Ice Punch
- Earthquake

No idea for ev spread
Metagross-Mega @ Assault Vest
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Meteor Mash
- Bullet Punch
- Earthquake
- Ice Punch

Charizard-Mega-Y @ Normalium Z
Timid Nature
- Celebrate
- Flamethrower
- Focus Blast
- Solar Beam/Air Slash

Charizard-Mega-Y @ Firium Z
Timid Nature
- Blast Burn
- Flamethrower
- Focus Blast
- Solar Beam/Air Slash

Charizard-Mega-Y @ Choice Scarf/Choice Specs/Life Orb
Timid Nature
- Fire Blast
- Ancient Power
- Focus Blast
- Solar Beam/Air Slash

Latios-Mega (M) @ Choice Specs/Choice Scarf
Ability: Levitate
Timid Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Trick
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Psyshock

This sucks but i find it funny
Latios-Mega (M) @ Life Orb
Ability: Levitate
Adamant Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Dragon Claw
- Earthquake
- Steel Wing

Aggron-Mega @ Leftovers
Ability: Filter
EVs: 248 HP / 4 Atk / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Impish Nature
- Iron Head
- Stealth Rock
- Toxic
- Protect

Those ev are totally random, i have no idea what to use for it
Aggron-Mega @ Assault Vest
Ability: Filter
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Atk / 8 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Dragon Tail
- Ice Punch
- Iron Head
- Fire Punch/Metal Burst

Garchomp-Mega @ Choice Scarf/Choice Band
Ability: Sand Force
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Outrage
- Stone Edge
- Iron Head

Garchomp-Mega @ Rockium Z
Ability: Sand Force
Jolly Nature
- Sandstorm
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge
- Swords Dance

Banette-Mega @ Focus Sash
Ability: Prankster
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Def
Brave Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Will-O-Wisp
- Destiny Bond
- Shadow Claw
- Taunt

Salamence-Mega "check"
Banette-Mega @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 Def
Impish Nature
- Skill Swap
- Knock Off
- Destiny Bond
- Taunt

For Trick Room, i mean this thing is obviously terrible but we are trying to make something out of it
Banette-Mega @ Choice Band
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD
Brave Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Pursuit
- Shadow Claw
- Shadow Sneak
- Gunk Shot

Last edited:
For some reason, I'm starting to get interested in this metagame, so I'm gonna post some set:

Gothitelle @ Leftovers
Ability: Shadow Tag
EVs: 244 HP / 108 Def / 156 SpD
Calm Nature
- Taunt
- Charm
- Confide
- Rest
Shadow Tag is legal here, and Gothitelle has a small niche that can trapped defensive mons, and it has new one to trapped, which is Mega Slowbro.
Code:
 +----------------------------------------+
 | Items                                  |
 | Leftovers 74.439%                      |
 | Rocky Helmet  7.629%                   |
 | Colbur Berry  4.726%                   |
 | Eviolite  2.699%                       |
 | Slowbronite  2.292%                    |
 | Assault Vest  2.254%                   |
 | Psychium Z  1.429%                     |
 | Other  4.533%                          |
 +----------------------------------------+
:From 1760 ladder back on March 2018:
Some people are forgetting to put Shed Shell on it (I don't get why Eviolite is being used, lol) and even Calm Mind Megabro sets still loses to Gothitelle because Calm Mind gets disabled by Taunt and the Special Attack boost gets removed by repeated Confide.

+1 0 SpA Slowbro-Mega Scald vs. 244 HP / 156+ SpD Gothitelle: 118-141 (34.5 - 41.2%) -- 64.9% chance to 3HKO after Leftovers recovery

252+ SpA Slowbro-Mega Scald vs. 244 HP / 156+ SpD Gothitelle: 105-124 (30.7 - 36.2%) -- guaranteed 4HKO after Leftovers recovery

I know no one runs Max Spa Modest on Mega Slowbro, but Gothitelle is faster so it can easily used Taunt or Confide. So yes, Mega Slowbro is completely deadweight against Gothitelle unless it chooses to run Shed Shell. ( so... small warning )

Note: Gothitelle can't trapped Mega Mewtwo-X consistently, despite being able to resist both of its STAB moves.
252 Atk Life Orb Mewtwo-Mega-X Stone Edge vs. 244 HP / 108 Def Gothitelle: 177-209 (51.7 - 61.1%) -- 95.3% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
4 SpA Life Orb Mewtwo-Mega-X Shadow Ball vs. 244 HP / 156+ SpD Gothitelle: 161-190 (47 - 55.5%) -- 15.2% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

It has to choose between Charm or Confide to weakened Stone Edge / Shadow Ball, and Taunt MMX easily stops Gothitelle. So you need proper scouting if you want to trapped it.

Its not broken, though, and its not a great mon either. It really hates offensive teams, which is more common iirc. Its still rather hard to fit Gothitelle on many teams. Mega Tyranitar is quite a nuisance for Gothitelle as it can easily removed it with Pursuit. It also means there's no reason to ban Shadow Tag here, hehe....

In terms of partners, Swords Dance Mega Lucario is the one on greatest teammates as it appreciates Gothitelle's ability to removed Mega Slowbro, Support Arceus Formes and defensive Ho-oh. It also appreciates luring Mega Tyranitar, especially those who lack Earthquake/Superpower or choice-locked into Pursuit, so Mluke can get in and begin destroying opponent's teams.

Tyranitar-Mega @ Choice Band
Ability: Sand Stream
EVs: 100 HP / 252 Atk / 156 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Stone Edge
- Pursuit
- Crunch
- Earthquake / Superpower
Its Bandtar. 156 Speed Evs lets you outspeed uninvested Base 90s, which includes both Giratina Formes, defensive variants of Primal Groudon and Ho-oh.

Sableye-Mega @ Sablenite
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Impish Nature
- Will-O-Wisp / Toxic
- Foul Play
- Recover
- Knock Off
A physically defensive variants lets it reliably handle Mega Mewtwo-X, Extreme Killer Arceus and Swords Dance Ultra Necrozma.

Ivy

resident enigma
is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributor
Pretty impressed with LO Mega Luke right now. This thing shrugs at the concept of a resistance at +2 (either special or physical). Also, Scarfchomp is back in a big way. Mega Tyranitar (with AV or something incidentally making it even more fat) supports it with free Sand Force boosts, and the Scarf simply leaves any unboosted rivals in the dust (and some boosted, like +1 opposing tyranitar).

Mega Gardevoir might be the best scarfer for Megamons, at least off of first impressions. It outspeeds all of the non scarfed meta, and has great support. Hyper Voice is amazing at cleaning up games, especially with how often I've seen both Mega Mewtwo X and Mega Salamence. Psyshock is psychic STAB, of course. Healing wish is crucial in an Ubers meta, especially one as high-powered as this one. I just love Mega Gardevoir, and it really has great potential.

Gardevoir-Mega @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Pixilate
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Hyper Voice
- Psyshock
- Healing Wish
- Destiny Bond/Trick

drampa's grandpa

cannonball
is a Community Contributoris a Community Leader Alumnus
https://pokepast.es/4f9d8bc940578935

Thought I would submit this as a sample team. It's pretty basic Hyper-Offense. You typically lead Diancie and set rocks then cause as much damage as possible before dying. It abuses Mega Mewtwo X's insane offensive stats to break defensive core while using Salamence to clean up. Lunala works as a Mewtwo check and general revenge killer, and Lucario acts as both a second revenge killer and a part of a fighting-spam core with Mewtwo. Arceus lets you beat Groudon and Salamence more reliably although it's not really a counter to either. This is pivotless Hyper Offense, so smart switches and keeping momentum is key.

If you want to swap out any Pokemon, Lucario is probably the least essential. It's essentially doubling down on jobs already done by other Pokemon.

Mewtwo can run Low Kick > Drain Punch, but the recovery is really nice with Life Orb recoil and it doesn't really need the extra power if you predict well. You could run Zen Headbutt as well, but you don't really need it and you miss out on common Pokemon if you get rid of any of the other moves.
Salamence can run a million Dragon Dance sets. I've swapped it around a bit on this team but I haven't found one that feels like it pulls the team together much more than any of the others (other than Flame Orb Facade not working as well as I'd hoped. Not a bad set but the passive damage makes it too difficult to set up to the point where your lack of coverage doesn't matter, and there aren't really any Scald users Mence is comfortable switching into in this meta anyway.)

Constructive feedback is welcome as always!
Also ban mence

manu 11

Mega Gardevoir might be the best scarfer for Megamons, at least off of first impressions. It outspeeds all of the non scarfed meta, and has great support. Hyper Voice is amazing at cleaning up games, especially with how often I've seen both Mega Mewtwo X and Mega Salamence. Psyshock is psychic STAB, of course. Healing wish is crucial in an Ubers meta, especially one as high-powered as this one. I just love Mega Gardevoir, and it really has great potential.

Gardevoir-Mega @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Pixilate
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Hyper Voice
- Psyshock
- Healing Wish
- Destiny Bond/Trick
To be honest, Mega-Gardevoir has sadly terrible typing. It does hit very hard with hyper voice pixilate but bullet punch is used a lot with lucario and scizor, you also have shadow sneak on the few Mega-Banette and Marshadow. With psychic terrain support it might indeed be a lot more viable. It also doesn't really fare well against stall who usually have Ho-Oh/Chansey, against which Mega-Gardevoir doesn't do much without terrain support with psychic/psyshock.

There are also other pokes in megamons that use scarf a lot better such as Mega-Lucario, Mega-Metagross or even Mega-Beedril and all of them can OHKO it. Salamence-mega will most of the time outspeed it after 1 Ddance too. Last but not least, Primal-Groudon can set up easily (
252 SpA Pixilate Gardevoir-Mega Hyper Voice vs. 0 HP / 100 SpD Groudon-Primal: 103-122 (30.2 - 35.7%) -- 36.4% chance to 3HKO
) and either put rocks or rock polish which becomes scary very fast. I used mixed rock polish spread.

Generally speaking steel types are very good and well represented in Megamons for Mega-Gardevoir to be really good. Psychic terrain support seems almsot mandatory for it to perform well imo.

What sets should I expect to see on Salamence? Do people use choice band? Special sets? Mixed?
Dragon Dance life orb and Facade sets are the most used right now. Special is really rare. I don't think i have ever seen mixed even though it seems pretty interesting as everybody uses slowbro-mega to check Salamence-mega.

Last edited:
I got up to the 1300's pretty quickly with this Primal Kyogre + Tailwind team:

https://pokepast.es/a7069477617b9518

Lots of people are running hyper offense with 5 or 6 megas, so their teams are pretty frail.
Mold Breaker Exca prevents or sets up rocks depending on the opponent's team.
Tailwind + Water Spout takes care of most mons in the meta and MegaMence cleans up the rest.
I'm also running Scarf Modest MegaZam + Tapu Lele with Terrain Extender; very deadly combo.

Hate to say it but this tier seems hardly different enough from regular ubers. It's barely an OM.
It should have been OU, desu. There's hardly a reason to use the vast majority of megas when you can just use an uber instead. Especially disappointing is that lower tier megas are still basically useless even with the removed restrictions of using one, with some exceptions like Slowbro who saw use in Ubers anyway and barely functions any differently.
Really, the only real difference I can see is that it made Salamence kind of overpowered and made Diancie one of the best leads. Besides that, building a team for Megamons is virtually the same as building an ubers team.
I'd absolutely petition for this game mode to be moved down to OU while it's still early in the month, so we can actually see mons like Ampharos, Sceptile, and Camerupt used in any sort of viable capacity.

I mean, come on, it's literally called MEGAMONS and most of the megas still suck.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)