Mega Metagross VGC 2018 RMT

Hello, my name is SanTrapVGC. I've been following VGC since sometime towards the end of 2014 and early 2015. During the 2016 season was my first attempt at becoming a little more competitive within VGC. This season is the first time I've competed in events. I've made two top cut placings at a couple local PCs under VGC 2017 rules, and I've made one top cut PC placing under 2018 rules. I've always been a fan of Metagross as it is one of my favorite Pokémon. So, with that in mind I really wanted to build a team around it that wasn't the standard MALTZ team that is running around.

Please see the team below with spreads and details regarding those spreads, and please encourage to provide any suggestions:

Metagross-Mega @ Metagrossite
Ability: Tough Claws
Level: 50
EVs: 252 HP / 28 Atk / 116 Def / 4 SpD / 108 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Iron Head
- Ice Punch
- Stomping Tantrum
- Protect

This moveset for Metagross has basically become its bread-n-butter. The coverage this moveset gives Metagross is fantastic. The ability to OHKO Landorus-Therian even at -1 is just a testament of Metagross's power. The bulk allows Metagross to live opposing 252/252 Jolly Mega Metagross's Stomping Tantrum a majority of the time and to survive an 252+ Shadow Ball from Aegislash. The speed investment allows Metagross to outspeed Adamant Landorus-Therian. Iron Head is pretty self explanatory. An Adamant Nature was used over Jolly to help Metagross grasp its powerful offenses while still maintaining bulk.

Incineroar @ Mago Berry
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 244 HP / 52 Atk / 36 Def / 148 SpD / 28 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Flare Blitz
- Knock Off
- Fake Out
- Low Kick

Incineroar has become a top contender for Landorus-Therian in regards to being the metagame's best Intimidate user. With access to Fake Out and having great offensive typings in Fire and Dark, this thing is amazing. This helps Metagross by being a strong Fire resist against things such as Charizard-Y and opposing Incineroar. Low Kick is there to help against threats such as Tyranitar and Snorlax. As of right now I do not recall what the EVs do specifically. I found this spread from a team report of the popular Mega Aerodactyl team from Taiwan.

Milotic @ Wiki Berry
Ability: Competitive
EVs: 252 HP / 108 Def / 4 SpA / 92 SpD / 52 Spe
Calm Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Scald
- Icy Wind
- Recover
- Protect

If we look at the top 2 Pokémon used, they both have two things in common. They both have Intimidate, and both are weak to Milotic. This thing is great at being counters to both Incineroar and Landorus. Icy Wind helps support the team by slowing down my opponents and letting my slower more offensive teammates move first. This Milotic can live a 252+ Landorus-Therian Tectonic Rage as well as a 252 Timid Tapu Koko Gigavolt Havoc outside of Electric Terrain. The speed investment allows Milotic to outspeed most Fini since they normally invest little to no speed investment.

Ferrothorn @ Leftovers
Ability: Iron Barbs
EVs: 212 HP / 72 Atk / 116 Def / 108 SpD
Sassy Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Power Whip
- Leech Seed
- Gyro Ball
- Protect

Ferrothorn is another great Pokémon for the Rain matchups. Being a very defensive Pokémon Ferrothorn is also able to draw out opponent's Intimidates such as Incineroar and Landorus-Therian which can allow me to get a Competitive boost on my Milotic. This Ferrothorn is designed to have 252+ Ludicolo Hydro Vortex (off of Hydro Pump) in the Rain do less than 50%. This allows Ferrothorn to retain a lot of HP and retaliate either against Ludicolo or its partner. I believe the 212 / 116 investment allows Ferrothorn to live a Low Kick from +1 252 Jolly Mega Tyranitar.

Tapu Lele @ Psychium Z
Ability: Psychic Surge
EVs: 252 HP / 108 Def / 124 SpA / 4 SpD / 20 Spe
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Psychic
- Moonblast
- Taunt
- Protect

This is a hard hitting bulky Tapu Lele. After an Icy Wind this Lele is able to outspeed base 100s. Without Icy Wind, this Lele is able to outspeed max speed Modest Pelipper to Taunt the Tailwind. This team was lacking a Z-Crystal and I felt like Tapu Lele was a good place to use it. Shattered Psyche in Psychic Terrain (even with only 124 SpA EVs) is still doing a good chunk of damage to a lot of things. Also, my Tapu options came down to Lele or Bulu as I need a way to eliminate Electric Terrain for Milotic, but I still needed to be able to provide serious damage output.

Porygon2 @ Eviolite
Ability: Download
EVs: 244 HP / 164 Def / 4 SpA / 92 SpD
Sassy Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 0 Spe
- Trick Room
- Thunderbolt
- Ice Beam
- Recover

Finally, we have Porygon2. This Pokémon gives my team a secondary mode. If Icy Wind is unable to give me an advantage, then I go with a Trick Room mode that pairs well with my slower bulkier team. This spread was something that I threw together pretty quickly. I haven't had the time to really sit down and think about benchmarks. The Bolt-Beam combo is a overall great coverage that hits nearly everything for at least neutral damage, and I'm able to take advantage of Tapu Koko's terrain.

So, that's the team. Please give me your suggestions. Test it and let me know what you guys think. I actually haven't been able to test the team out myself just yet. One thing I will note, is that Zen Headbutt is not an option on Metagross. That's more of a personal preference than anything. I can't stand missing Zen Headbutts when they matter.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)