Rejected Maybe a way to use SSB4 exclusive moves/items/abilities in Custom Game?

HoeenHero

The Misspelled Hero!
is a Battle Simulator Administratoris a Programmeris a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
PS Admin
I've had this thought before but theres a few technical limitations on this and other custom things you see in things like OMs, namely the fact that these changes are isolated into "mods" within the code which isolates the changes from the base code for the current generation. In fact, all past generations are mods themselves as they change the rules for the current generation. At this time the only way to set the mod a format uses is through editing the code itself, its not supported via custom rules as that could break things.

Speaking of breaking things the other big concern is that I'm worried the custom moves/abilities/items for SSB will break if used outside of the intended context, possibly crashing the server. Some of these moves do things that the engine really doesn't support so the code can be hacky and brittle in some cases.

Hmm. Maybe baby steps? First stuff more compatable, then other stuff less compatable? I made this thread purely because I wanted to use deevolution beam x-x

DaWoblefet

Demonstrably so
is a Battle Simulator Administratoris a Community Leaderis a Programmeris a Community Contributoris a Top Researcheris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnus
PS Admin
Rejecting for the reasons HoeenHero listed. Abstracting the SSB mod, or any mod, into something generalizable that is accessible to other formats is a lot of hard work, and the SSB formats are very big and not so easy to migrate without repercussion.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)