Max Raid Discussion Thread

After what felt like 15 Mewtwo attempts, I finally beat one. It was against the physical variant which I feel is significantly easier to deal with thanks to its lesser Attack and reliance on spread moves, which lets you take advantage of it using one nifty move: Wide Guard.

Lunala @ Leftovers
Ability: Shadow Shield
Level: 100
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Shadow Ball / Moongeist Beam
- Wide Guard
- Thunder Wave
- Roost (I have Roost on here because I don't want to get rid of it on my own ingame Lunala. Otherwise, I won't be able to re-teach it Roost...)

Physical Mewtwo has Rock Slide and Earthquake, and being able to completely block two of Mewtwo's attacks with Wide Guard is crucial to the survival of your team. I had Moongeist Beam on this set when I won, but in hindsight, Shadow Ball is definitely the better move to use because of its higher PP vs Pressure. Also, with max Speed + Timid nature, you're likely to outspeed most of the Mewtwo you encounter unless they're packing a + Speed nature and at least an almost-perfect amount of Speed IVs, letting you attack it or use Thunder Wave against it when its shield is down before Mewtwo gets a chance to move. Wide Guard can also come in clutch against the special Blizzard variant.

Edit: it also helped that I had another Lunala, a Dawn Wings Necrozma, and a screens Grimmsnarl on the team (it was with randoms, funnily enough).

Edit 2: I also learned that Quash doesn't fully work against this boss. I don't know if it works on other lesser raid battles because I never tried, but I attempted to run a Prankster Quash Sableye only to find out it only delays...one of its moves. The other 3 moves its goes for will play out when it's Mewtwo's turn to attack.

Last edited:
I had Moongeist Beam on this set when I won, but in hindsight, Shadow Ball is definitely the better move to use because of its higher PP vs Pressure. Also, with max Speed + Timid nature, you're likely to outspeed most of the Mewtwo you encounter unless they're packing a + Speed nature and at least an almost-perfect amount of Speed IVs, letting you attack it or use Thunder Wave against it when its shield is down before Mewtwo gets a chance to move. Wide Guard can also come in clutch against the special Blizzard variant.
Quickly iterating on this...
Unless you're in this sort of situation of not being able to delete a move cause you can't relearn it, I recommend having both Moongeist and Shadowball.

The idea is to use Shadowball when shields are up, while actually going full damage with Moongeist when the shields are down. You can usually throw at least one attack or two before the new shields go up, and even after 2nd tier of shields are up, you might not have enough damage to beat him before he murders the entire team (MewTwo starts using 5-6 attacks per turn when 2nd barrier goes up).

Also, since the boss has no EV or nature, modest lunala with 252 speed outspeeds it (that'd be, my Lunala which i'd been using)

On a hindsight, if you're not using wide guard, AV lunala is probably the best "dps" pokemon for those raids.
Ironically your own Mewtwo also can tank the raid well, but he will actually lack in damage due to not having a supereffective stab.

So far the most consistent combo I found (for all 3 raids, including CM one) was simply a combo AV Marshadow + two AV Lunala + light clay grimmsnarl (for prankster taunt / screens and using Foul Play as only attack).
I also came up with a "tech" that some others used with success, of using a Life Dew / Screen / Taunt / foul play Mewtwo in place of Grimmsnarl (serves same role of fast screen+taunt, but can patch up the team if they're at 50-70% hp saving them the need to heal)
It tends to always work unless you really get RNGd down by crits or unfortunate triple targetting.

Hello everyone! A few users on this site including Worldie Eisenherz and JustinTR collaborated and found a setup that has very reliably beaten the most difficult Calm Mind variant seven times in one evening, with only one failure due to incessant and untimely critical hitting from Mewtwo. The setup is also very easy to achieve since most players will have at least one of the pokemon.

One Mewtwo holding Light Clay, preferably Calm nature, with Light Screen, Life Dew, Foul Play and filler; Shadow Ball is nice if Mewtwo happens to be the one to dmax (uncommon) or Recover if Life Dew ends up being unnecessary and it needs more HP (also uncommon.) HP investment is important, as well as enough speed to ensure getting the jump on Mewtwo, and then the rest can go into SpD.

Two Lunalas wearing Assault Vests, with Shadow Ball and Moongeist. These are the only moves it'll use. Max HP helps take more abuse, but we succeeded with some users having speedy Lunalas; much of the time, however, they had full HP and SpA.

And last but not least, Marshadow, for the Spectral Thief usage. It also holds Assault Vest. Atk/Spd, Jolly nature.

The reason we found Mewtwo was preferable to Grimmsnarl was because it would outspeed the raid boss if it were ever more opportune to attack, and of course Grimmster cannot learn Life Dew! Life Dew is extremely useful in tandem with Light Screen because it frequently restored the Lunalas to full health, and by doing so surviving Mewtwo's apeshit barrage during the second phase became trivial.

Ideally, Lunala was the one to dmax, and we made a point to never use it until the second barrier phase had begun. This was important because Lunala has the most HP and bulk, and by saving it, it gave us the best odds of eating the nasty barrage of attacks.

Marshadow was almost always the only one to die (fully expected) and generally only once. We had a run during which Marshadow stayed the entire time and Lunala fell instead. The only instance we lost, Mewtwo fell once and Marshadow three times. While getting really good RNG on the calls from Marshadow falling was great, it was never a critical factor in our victories and we weren't praying for them. Our calls were often worthless or failed altogether.

Of course, here's a quick video of the team in action!

I had tried joining at least a dozen randomly hosted raids, and only one attempt was successful, versus the Nasty Plot set. People do all kinds of stupid shit, between bringing underleveled pokes, or Eternatus, or underleveled AND weak pokes like Thievul (it's Dark type, so that has to be good for something, right?) Many people immediately assume that the type chart makes things one-sided like they usually do for all other raids. During one raid a non-prankster Grimmsnarl used Taunt for all of its turns, none of them succeeding due to barriers, and on the fifth turn I'd planned to OHKO it with Moonblast, but Mewtwo got to him first and we were thrown out of the den. It almost gets infuriating.

I hope other people try the Mewtwo/Lunala Duo/Marshadow comp and enjoy the same success my friends and I have! We'll be trying to farm the CM set as much as possible for the great reward pile!

Edit: Worldie you are going to be dragged into some of these raids at some point, count on it

Last edited:
I do suggest snicking up taunt (both Grimmsnarl and Mewtwo learn it, mewtwo having the benefit of being able to use it even if psychic terrain got set up) either turn 1 against the NP/phisical variants, as well as as soon as shields drop (also against the CM one).
The boss will actually waste turns trying to setup even while taunted, and overally not having to eat boosted attacks at all is better (also for marshadow's health) is better than having to hope marshadow survives the turn to steal them.

My marshadow could tank exactly 1 unboosted psystrike with AV + screen (though, mine's jolly with 0 HP investment), but a +1 psystrike would often KO it instead)

My Great Capture Screenshot 2020-03-01 06-57-58.png

Ran into this comp just now. I was skeptical going in because I was thinking to myself "wtf is Mew gonna do offensively?". Turns out, I underestimated this group (I was the Lunala). The Dynamax Mew used Max Flutterby off Pollen Puff to lower Special Attack with each hit, while the other Mew ran support w/ Life Dew + Power Swap which worked very well vs this Nasty Plot Mewtwo variant.

I managed a couple wins with strangers against Mewtwo, but the one (sort of) worth mentioning was actually a win with an NPC Dhelmise.

How did this happen? Well, lots of sheer, stupid luck. I went in with Grimmsnarl to set up paralysis and screens, breaking the occasional barrier as a mere afterthought. After a 4th person didn't join I was hoping for a quick end, but paralysis kicked in, then again, then again and again...

Add to that Dhelmise randomly dodging a couple blizzards and Mewtwo went down. It felt almost comical at the end, but hooray for the goodies.

I wonder if someone, somewhere was able to solo the Mewtwo raid (or even pull it off with two players and two NPCs).

Another day, another Gmax shift. Gengar, Machamp, and the returning Snorlax are all out in the wild area...in both games! Thats right, for the first time, we have no version exclusive this raid period! Everyone just raid to your hearts content.

EDIT: Looks like there is a pretty interesting minor change between versions. Only sword will be ablw to encounter 5 star machamps, and only shield will encounter 5 star gengars. 3 and 4 stars of both will be found on either game.

Last edited:
Well, I ran into something I didn’t expect to see in a Pokémon game; a team-killer.

I joined a Gmax Grimmsnarl raid over Y-comm and some dude with a Zacian kept attacking me and another player’s Excadrill. We ended up losing the raid because of it.
Honestly I wish you could kill your teammates freely (for the CPU opponents, anyway). Clear them out of the way so the wild pokemon can't.

Of course you'd still lose if you get KO'd, too.

EDIT: Looks like there is a pretty interesting minor change between versions. Only sword will be ablw to encounter 5 star machamps, and only shield will encounter 5 star gengars. 3 and 4 stars of both will be found on either game.
I actually prefer this iteration, version "exclusive" raids was cool at first but makes it too obnoxious to obtain one of the other due to the reduced % of capture if not host.

With machamp & gengar "released" thus soon available in VGC, which giga- are yet to be available?

I actually prefer this iteration, version "exclusive" raids was cool at first but makes it too obnoxious to obtain one of the other due to the reduced % of capture if not host.

With machamp & gengar "released" thus soon available in VGC, which giga- are yet to be available?
This just leaves Garbodor, Copperajah, and Duraludon. Melmetal's will never be allowed because it's event-exclusive but I can be proven wrong.

Melmetal's never going to be allowed because it's classified as mythical tecnically, does that prove you wrong? :P
I only said I could be proven wrong because a bunch of new precedents have been set this year (new mons being allowed mid-season being a big one), and I'm expecting more of the unexpected to happen. It's still unlikely because it's a Mythical, but you never know.

Well, I ran into something I didn’t expect to see in a Pokémon game; a team-killer.

I joined a Gmax Grimmsnarl raid over Y-comm and some dude with a Zacian kept attacking me and another player’s Excadrill. We ended up losing the raid because of it.
I just caught a square shiny G-Max Gengar hosted by a teamkiller. That was... Intense. @_@

HOLY FUCKING SHIT I HAVE A SQUARE SHINY G-MAX GENGAR!
I had a team-killer today. Had I been paying full attention I might have KO'd them after they took out the first player, but I wasn't 100% sure and the boss looked like we could take it down in the next turn or two anyways, so I just attacked the boss. They took me out that turn, and then my cheer took out the boss at the start of the next turn, unfortunately depriving the revived player of their chance at revenge. :P

In case anyone doesn't know, if you press the minus button on the rewards screen it brings up the block option, so you can at least ensure you don't run into that player again.

What are the chances for getting Gigantamax Alcremie on a purple den, on Bridge field (den 50)? I tried for a week, with about 300 SR, but nothing .. I saved 4 frames from my shiny frame and reset, the first 3 pokemon are always the same, the fourth changes every time but Gigantamax Alcremie never appeared..

What are the chances for getting Gigantamax Alcremie on a purple den, on Bridge field (den 50)? I tried for a week, with about 300 SR, but nothing .. I saved 4 frames from my shiny frame and reset, the first 3 pokemon are always the same, the fourth changes every time but Gigantamax Alcremie never appeared..
Den 50 isnt the den that spawns alcremie. The den you want is in the farthest corner, straight ahead from the wild area daycare.

New Wild Area event. Now that all the gigantimax mons have been cycled through, this event focuses on high usage vgc pokemon. Dragapult, Tyranitar, Whimsicott, Togekiss, Excadrill, and Rotom Wash and Heat. Wash can be found in shield, while heat is in sword.
And according to Serebii, they have a high chance of giving pinch or EV-reducing berries.

Not groundbreaking but worth noting.

I'll probably pull the game back out for this, and the eventual G-Max Eevee event.

Guessing they'll put G-Max Meowth in here at some point too.
Not only that, but the 5 stars bring back the beloved return of Surf Pikachu, giving it access to Max Geyser
Pikachu already got Surf in this game. The entire line now gets it through the Surf TR

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)