Calm Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Stockpile
- Foul Play
- Pain Split
- Substitute

Subsplit to the Extreme!
Why does this set work:
+Huge Power and Foul Play are the crux of this set:Not only are we using the enemies attacking power, we are actually DOUBLING it
+Stockpile gives much needed defensive boosts and allows, thanks to 50/125/95 defenses, to actually survive things
+It gets SubSplit, a popular way to defeat the blobs* and regaining health. Furthermore having only base 50 HP allows massive hitpoints regenaration.
+It is completly unexpected

-This is a incredible defensive set, meaning that specific enemy pokemon could setup on you and defeat you (Special Lucario anybody?)
- *The blobs can't be defeated this way
I like this set, but I might be getting this wrong, but doesn't Foul Play's damage work based on the target's attack and not the users? So Mawile's base attack stat wouldn't mean anything.

I like this set, but I might be getting this wrong, but doesn't Foul Play's damage work based on the target's attack and not the users? So Mawile's base attack stat wouldn't mean anything.
Huge power and pure power doubles the target's attack before damage calculation

Last edited:
Holy fucking tap dancing Christ, that's an insane amount of power. I use Mega Mawile, but I never really realized that its that strong.
Basically if you're megawile using foul play on say, adamant haxorus, your foul play will be:

95 power using a total of haxorus's 864 atk

While u still have 400+ atk to play with, assuming 0 atk investment on mega mawile

252+ Atk Huge Power Mega Mawile Foul Play vs. 36 HP / 0 Def Haxorus: 272-321 (90 - 106.2%) -- 37.5% chance to OHKO
0 Atk Huge Power Mega Mawile Foul Play vs. 36 HP / 0 Def Haxorus: 272-321 (90 - 106.2%) -- 37.5% chance to OHKO

0atk mega mawile: 492 atk
0atk+ mega mawile: 540 atk
252atk mega mawile: 618 atk
252atk+ mega mawile: 678 atk

Last edited:

MikeDawg

Banned deucer.
I've been running Trick Room a lot (ie. Mawile), and through that, I've discovered just how great sub+3 attacks mawile is.

It forces plenty of switches, at which point you can sub up. Play rough/Sucker punch/focus punch or iron head or fire fang offers fantastic coverage that many mons simply can't handle. Its sucker punch is absurdly powerful, and the opponent is forced to attack and deal with it twice.

If you haven't had much success with mawile, try it out.

I love SubPunch mMawile. It stops excadrill and Heatran as long as you're behind your sub, something 2 sucker punches would have to do. Being behind that sub is just amazing to me. It allows for a bit of a safety net.

I don't want to be one of "those" guys but I feel like asking. Similar to how Lucario is OU but his Mega is Uber why is Mawile w/o a megastone in OU? I use non-Mega Mawile in OU for a while and I want to bring it to the lower tiers see how it does but even w/o Megastone Showdown is telling me its OU which when looking at Lucario I don't understand. I'd agree Mega Mawile is in OU but normal Mawile I don't think is on the same level.

I don't want to be one of "those" guys but I feel like asking. Similar to how Lucario is OU but his Mega is Uber why is Mawile w/o a megastone in OU? I use non-Mega Mawile in OU for a while and I want to bring it to the lower tiers see how it does but even w/o Megastone Showdown is telling me its OU which when looking at Lucario I don't understand. I'd agree Mega Mawile is in OU but normal Mawile I don't think is on the same level.
I thought the same thing. I used to use her in NU where she worked wonders. But I guess it is what it is.

Last edited:
Read this thread. And this thread. Mawile is at #22 with a usage of 9.68%, so it is OU. Pokemon and their Mega-Evolutions are not tiered separately. You should think of the Lucarionite ban being more like the Soul Dew ban on the Latis in the previous generations than like a ban on an individual Pokemon.

So thinking like the soul dew ban, why can't mawilite be banned to OU?
Because Mega Stones like Heracross's are BL because they were deemed too powerful for UU, despite the Pokemon not getting more usage than UU. Mawile has usage that qualifies as OU, therefore it is, by definition, an OU Pokemon.
Mawile isn't technically a NU Pokemon with OU viability now. It is an OU Pokemon whose viable sets all run Mawilite.

Because Mega Stones like Heracross's are BL because they were deemed too powerful for UU, despite the Pokemon not getting more usage than UU. Mawile has usage that qualifies as OU, therefore it is, by definition, an OU Pokemon.
Mawile isn't technically a NU Pokemon with OU viability now. It is an OU Pokemon whose viable sets all run Mawilite.
Well, yea, because It can't be used in lower tiers. Normal Mawile has viable movements outside of holding its mega stone. No one is going to run normal mawile without its stone in OU.

Well, yea, because It can't be used in lower tiers. Normal Mawile has viable movements outside of holding its mega stone. No one is going to run normal mawile without its stone in OU.
The tiers are not based on viability though. It is based on how much the Pokemon is used. Mawile is used in the OU tier on enough teams to be Overused. The sets chosen just all use Mawilite. It's the same reason Charizard is OU this Gen.

Heracross is Underused in usage, but the Heracronite is too strong for UU. Therefore, Heracross is UU, while the item is BL. Meaning, Heracross is a UU Pokemon with the item among sets it can run in OU.

If Mawile saw no usage, despite the stone, it could theoretically drop down to NU again, and just have OU viable sets, but Mawile is used frequently, therefore it is OU.

On another note, what Pokemon pair well with Mega Mawile, in terms of Defensive synergy. With Fire and Ground weaknesses, the most obvious is Rotom-W, but I'm perusing other Pokemon that can not only wall/tank those hits, but deal with the relevant threats of that type. The more threats that teammate can handle itself, the less pressed for coverage Mawile will be, which is a big deal given it needs Sucker Punch, a STAB, and SD/Sub, which leaves maybe one coverage slot

The tiers are not based on viability though. It is based on how much the Pokemon is used. Mawile is used in the OU tier on enough teams to be Overused. The sets chosen just all use Mawilite. It's the same reason Charizard is OU this Gen.

Heracross is Underused in usage, but the Heracronite is too strong for UU. Therefore, Heracross is UU, while the item is BL. Meaning, Heracross is a UU Pokemon with the item among sets it can run in OU.

If Mawile saw no usage, despite the stone, it could theoretically drop down to NU again, and just have OU viable sets, but Mawile is used frequently, therefore it is OU.

On another note, what Pokemon pair well with Mega Mawile, in terms of Defensive synergy. With Fire and Ground weaknesses, the most obvious is Rotom-W, but I'm perusing other Pokemon that can not only wall/tank those hits, but deal with the relevant threats of that type. The more threats that teammate can handle itself, the less pressed for coverage Mawile will be, which is a big deal given it needs Sucker Punch, a STAB, and SD/Sub, which leaves maybe one coverage slot
I'm well aware how tiers work. But this is a lot like Kyurem. Kyurem is in three different tiers. Kyurem isn't banned because kyu-w is OP, just Kyu-W is. Why can't pokes and their mega stones be the same? Ban Mawilite anywhere below OU but make Mawile viable in all tiers it should be allowed in.
I'm fine either way really, but there's plenty reason to allow us to use these pokes in the lower tiers.

I'm well aware how tiers work. But this is a lot like Kyurem. Kyurem is in three different tiers. Kyurem isn't banned because kyu-w is OP, just Kyu-W is. Why can't pokes and their mega stones be the same? Ban Mawilite anywhere below OU but make Mawile viable in all tiers it should be allowed in.
I'm fine either way really, but there's plenty reason to allow us to use these pokes in the lower tiers.
The difference is that the Kyurem, Kyurem-B, and Kyurem-W are, for all intents and purposes, separate Pokemon. The stones, while they allow transformation, are still just items.

Kyurem-B gets OU usage, Kyurem-W is too powerful and Ubers worthy (banned), and Kyurem is Underused in usage but (in BW at least) BL because he's too strong for UU.

Mawile is an Overused Pokemon by usage, and its sets run Mawilite the same way Keldeo runs Choice Specs or Life Orb. The base form isn't dropping to Neverused unless it actually is "never used." Since the tiers are based solely on usage (barring suspect tests), Mawile's not going to be allowed back down, Mega Stone or not.

Anyway, back to the topic. What are the most relevant threats to Mega-Mawile that it could handle with coverage. I'm debating if I want to cover more threats with it or focus more on hitting the bigger threats in particular.

I generally pair Mega Mawile with Milotic on my teams, and they work especially well in the Hax Maison, since Mawile attracts intimidators which triggers a competitive boost. With that said, bulky waters in general are good partners to her as they tackle both of her weakpoints

I think SR is viable on Mawile for offensive teams. It can threaten most mons with Defog (Lati@s, Mega Scizor, Skarmory, Mandibuzz) with Play Rough/coverage move, while providing a check to Lati@s that is not 2HKO'd by HP Fighting.

Mawile (M) @ Mawilite
Trait: Intimidate
EVs: 240 HP / 252 Atk / 16 Spd
Adamant Nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
- Stealth Rock
- Play Rough
- Sucker Punch
- Knock Off/Iron Head/Fire Fang/Ice Punch/Swords Dance

The set basically functions like Shuca Berry Jirachi of last generation, in which bulky Ground types (ie. Landorus-T, Gliscor, Garchomp) are lured in for a solid OHKO upon mega evolution, or Swords Dance can also be used to add offensive pressure. This set is not advised for bulky offensive teams, but generally Hyper Offense. Nobody sees SR coming from Mawile anyway, so the surprise factor is always welcome. With Intimidate, Mawile is able to come out on top vs common leads such as Deoxys-D (forcing it only one entry hazard, as it most likely uses Taunt), Terrakion, and Garchomp.

Due to the set's viability in standard play, I believe this set should deserve mention on Mawile's analysis page, rather than the Underrated Movesets thread.

ChildFucker

literally too stupid to choose a username.
Unless I'm mistaken I don't see any reason why Foul Play should ever be used, even on defensively EVed Mawile. Uninvested Huge Power Mawile has 492 Attack (effectively base 228). Foul Play lacks STAB so the number of things that will take more damage from Foul Play vs Play Rough or even Knock Off may be somewhat limited.

0 Attack Play Rough will deal more damage on average than Foul Play against anything with less than 252 Jolly 130 base Attack. I'm not really sure what kind of sets run Foul Play and defensive EVs besides the sub splitter posted above so perhaps it may find some use in fucking with SD Scizor or Talonflame but generally if I had to run a mono attacking defensive Mawile I think I would rather just run Foul Play (or even Knock Off) and guarantee sickening levels of damage.

I haven't yet confirmed if MegaMawile can learn swagger this gen, but its been able to in past gens so I am assuming yes. It would seem like an incredible pairing with Foul Play as it confuses its opponent while also giving a huge damage boost to its own Foul Play. The idea is to use swagger first turn and then use rough play/pain split/earthquake depending on the situation. If your opponent hurts itself due to confusion, great, but if the opponent pulls off an attack this can easily be remedied with a pain split. For a fourth move, Earthquake hitsall three types that would resist Rough Play for SE damage giving Mawile perfect coverage and more offensive capability. Substitute would also be a good option because it would provide defensive support, confusion + a substitute would make getting to Mawile very difficult.

Swagger MegaMawile
Nature: Adamant
Ability: Intimidate -> Huge Power
Item: Mawilite
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 Hp / 4 Sdef
- Swagger
- Rough Play
- Pain Split
- Earthquake/Substitute

Mawile's biggest downside is it's speed, but this can easily be turned into an advantage with a trick room team which would turn MegaMawile into a beast of an offensive threat. However, outside of Trick Room I still believe that this move set can be a great addition to any team. I havent run any numbers or anything, but putting EVs from HP into speed might be one way to allow MegaMawile to get ahead of its opposition, but any feedback would be great, what does everyone think?
Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't swagger a banned move?

Set name: "Maw" Sub dance
Nature: Adamant
Item:Mawilite
Ability: Intimidate -> Huge power
Ev Spread: 252 HP | 252 Atk | 4 Sp def
-Sword dance
-Substitute
-Sucker punch
-Play rough

This the set I run.
Substitute allows Mawile to be immune to burns (That is until the sub is taken out) also allowing me to set up sword dances as a please.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)