Pokémon Maushold

cheesed to meet you
:sv/maushold:
normal.gif

Base Stats: 74 HP / 75 Atk / 70 Def / 65 SpA / 70 SpD / 111 Spe (BST: 470)
Abilities: Friend Guard | Cheek Pouch | Technician (HA)
Notable Moves:
-Population Bomb
-Tidy Up
-Bullet Seed
-Bite
-Trailblaze
-Thunder Wave
-Encore
-Taunt
-Play Rough
-Tera Blast
-Switcheroo
-Beat Up
-U-turn
Level Up Moves:
  1. - [01] Pound
  2. - [01] Follow Me
  3. - [01] Baby-Doll Eyes
  4. - [01] Tidy Up
  5. - [05] Echoed Voice
  6. - [08] Helping Hand
  7. - [11] Super Fang
  8. - [14] Double Hit
  9. - [18] Bullet Seed
  10. - [22] Encore
  11. - [29] Play Rough
  12. - [33] Hyper Voice
  13. - [37] Charm
  14. - [41] Beat Up
  15. - [46] Copycat
  16. - [53] Population Bomb

Egg Moves:
  1. - Bite
  2. - Baton Pass
  3. - Tickle
  4. - Feint
  5. - Switcheroo
  6. - After You

TM Learn:
  1. - [TM001] Take Down
  2. - [TM002] Charm
  3. - [TM003] Fake Tears
  4. - [TM004] Agility
  5. - [TM005] Mud-Slap
  6. - [TM007] Protect
  7. - [TM011] Water Pulse
  8. - [TM012] Low Kick
  9. - [TM018] Thief
  10. - [TM020] Trailblaze
  11. - [TM022] Chilling Water
  12. - [TM025] Facade
  13. - [TM027] Aerial Ace
  14. - [TM032] Swift
  15. - [TM035] Mud Shot
  16. - [TM039] Low Sweep
  17. - [TM047] Endure
  18. - [TM049] Sunny Day
  19. - [TM050] Rain Dance
  20. - [TM055] Dig
  21. - [TM056] Bullet Seed
  22. - [TM060] U-turn
  23. - [TM061] Shadow Claw
  24. - [TM070] Sleep Talk
  25. - [TM071] Seed Bomb
  26. - [TM081] Grass Knot
  27. - [TM082] Thunder Wave
  28. - [TM085] Rest
  29. - [TM087] Taunt
  30. - [TM103] Substitute
  31. - [TM108] Crunch
  32. - [TM117] Hyper Voice
  33. - [TM122] Encore
  34. - [TM127] Play Rough
  35. - [TM130] Helping Hand
  36. - [TM152] Giga Impact
  37. - [TM163] Hyper Beam
  38. - [TM171] Tera Blast

New Moves:

Population Bomb
normal.gif
|
physical.png
(makes contact)
16 PP
20 BP
90% Accuracy
Can hit anywhere between 1 to 10 times

Tidy Up
normal.gif
|
other.png

16 PP
Removes all entry hazards from the field while boosting the user's Attack and Speed

Pros:
-Defog + Dragon Dance in one moveslot is VERY powerful
-Population Bomb goes brrrrr
-Decent coverage with moves like Bullet Seed, Bite, Trailblaze, Beat Up, and Aerial Ace, allowing it to make good use of Technician
-Has one of the better Speed tiers in the game at base 111 Speed
-Can serve as a good support Pokemon with aforementioned Speed tier, Tidy Up, and other moves like Taunt, Encore, Thunder Wave, and Switcheroo
-Can act as a fast offensive pivot with U-turn

Cons:
-Pure Normal typing is VERY mediocre without Terastylizing
-Below average Attack stat of 75 makes it hard to score kills without Terastylizing or boosting Attack
-Main STAB move is a multi-hit attack with 90% accuracy, making it unreliable
-Extremely frail on both defensive ends
-Lacks coverage to deal with Steel-types, particularly Corviknight

Terastylizing Potential:
-Bootleg Adaptability (Normal Terastal) Population Bomb goes brrr
-Can potentially utilize Tera Types like Fire, Fighting, and Ground alongside Tera Blast to mitigate coverage issues against Steels

Potential Sets:
Wallbreaker
mickey mouse aah (Maushold) @ Wide Lens / Protective Pads
Ability: Technician
Tera Type: Normal
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Population Bomb
- Bite / Beat Up
- Trailblaze / Bullet Seed
- Tidy Up / Taunt / Encore / Thunder Wave

The purpose of this set is very simple: come in, clean hazards and boost with Tidy Up, Terastalyze, and start wrecking shop with Population Bomb. Bite/Beat Up helps with Ghost-types like Gholdengo, Skeledirge, and Flutter Mane, while Trailblaze/Bullet Seed helps with bulky Water- and Ground-types like Great Tusk, Dodonzo, and Hippowdon, with the former also providing guaranteed Speed boosts for an easier sweep. Wide Lens boosts Population Bomb's accuracy to 99%, making it much more reliable and safer to spam, while Protective Pads keeps Maushold safe from Rocky Helmet/Rough Skin chip. If already using a hazard remover, you may want to opt for another support move over Tidy Up, but the Attack boost provided by Tidy Up really helps out Maushold's wallbreaking potential.

Last edited:
Low Kick and Shadow Claw are good coverage options. LK is its most powerful Move against Steel Types. Life Orb is the best option for a item as it needs all the power it can get as base 75 is weak, but Population Bomb can somewhat make up for it

Relevant math: Wide Lens Population Bomb has an 0.99^10 = 90.4% chance of landing ten hits.
Without Wide Lens your chance is 0.9^10 = 34.9%. Even landing six hits only has a 53.1% chance. I'm only ever running Lens on these guys, Pads be damned, if I Bomb a Rocky Helmet and die immediately that's on me.

I imagine Magnezone might have good synergy with Maushold as the extent of their tools for Steels is Low Kick. This mon does absolutely nothing to Corviknight.

I think Super Fang is an underrated 4th move on Maushold. Since it can basically do nothing to Steel types like Corviknight, hitting them for half of their HP can help soften up its checks in the early game. Plus, for Corviknight, it can force it to decide between Roosting for longevity or U-Turning for momentum.

I like to pair Maushold with a Pressure Corviknight of my own to make the opponent think twice about mindlessly Roosting. Plus, it can eat up a Body Press if the opposing Corviknight decides to go for that as well.

I think Super Fang is an underrated 4th move on Maushold. Since it can basically do nothing to Steel types like Corviknight, hitting them for half of their HP can help soften up its checks in the early game. Plus, for Corviknight, it can force it to decide between Roosting for longevity or U-Turning for momentum.

I like to pair Maushold with a Pressure Corviknight of my own to make the opponent think twice about mindlessly Roosting. Plus, it can eat up a Body Press if the opposing Corviknight decides to go for that as well.
Bro, why since this Gen started I have seen so many people thinking Pressure works on opposing Healing Moves? It just isn't true. Pressure only works on moves that target the Pressure user.

seems like maushold gonna have a tough time dealing with rocky helmet and rough skin and since there are not many knock off users in this gen , its gonna be tough to get rid off the opposing rock helms . Protective pads though exists , using it means that you are less likely to have the 10 hits , which is huge. Will be interesting to see if maushold can brute force through the likes of corvi and great tusk , gargnacl , etc. Just a point to be noted , you will almost never want to clear toxic spikes with maushold which would mean it to get poisoned , so having a secondary defogger is important

Can we just take a moment to appreciate how utterly insane Population Bomb is with Technician? Assuming all 10 hits connect (Thank you Wide Lens), Population Bomb would have the same base power as Self-Destruct at base 200. And that's BEFORE Technician and STAB boosts. With Technician it's power gets jacked up to base 300, surpassing Explosion at base 250 and matching Houndstone's Last Respects with all 5 other teammates KOed. Tack on STAB and you are facing down a base 450 attack. Even with just an attack stat of 75 that is going to hurt A LOT. Pretty sure Rough Skin/Iron Barbs and Rocky Helmet users will skyrocket if this multiplying mouse becomes more commonly used. Last gen we had Dracovish's Fishious Rend + Strong Jaws, and to a lesser extent, this gen we have this.

IMO, if you’re forcing people to run rocky helmet because a single mon in existence dies to it, you’ve done enough damage to the format in general. There will be many battles where the rocky helmet user wished they brought leftovers when they realize the opponent isn’t even using the mice

Been playing stall today and i've determined the mice are the only thing standing in the way of the Gholdengo + Glimmora combo with tidyup being the only hazard removal Gholdengo isn't immune to. Legitimately if you're running stall everything grounded needs to be running HDB because if you dont you auto lose to that core.

IMO, if you’re forcing people to run rocky helmet because a single mon in existence dies to it, you’ve done enough damage to the format in general. There will be many battles where the rocky helmet user wished they brought leftovers when they realize the opponent isn’t even using the mice
Rocky helmet is in is own a really good item . The chip it delivers to physical attackers is really helpful . Not only maushold but also stuffs like palafin , and roaring moon get hit by rocky helmet so I do not thing that not seeing maushold in the team preview is gonna make you feel sad for not having rocky helmet .

Once the HO bans are done, there will be rise to rocky helmet mons later in the tier, and Maushold will find it very difficult to be effective, even with Tidy Up. It might feel OP atm since balance teams are struggling, but that won't be the case forever

I calculated the expected value of population bomb hits without wide lens, and the result was really low (5.86).
Wide lens brings this value to 9.47
Therefore wide lens gives an expected x1.6 power increase, more than even a choice band.

the python code I used was

print(sum([x * 0.1 * (0.9** x) for x in range(10)])+ 10 * (0.9**10)) for no wide lens
print(sum([x * 0.01 * (0.99** x) for x in range(10)])+ 10 * (0.99**10)) for wide lens

Maushold really hoping to see a Gravity-setting ability for Accuracy and insuring Spikes damage.

Real talk though I think on the Wide Lens set, you really want to go all in on Tidy Up + Population Bomb, with your remaining moves strictly focused on things that move can't hit already. With the 9 average hits after accuracy, you're looking at a 270 BP STAB move (so 405 BP effective) that goes around Substitutes, which is essentially only going to lose in damage to Immunities or a Quad resist (202.5 BP vs a 2x Technician Bite being 180 BP). I see Trailblaze and Bullet Seed mentioned in the OP set for Bulky Waters and Grounds, but as mentioned those probably won't hit harder than Population Bomb on any case relevant to OU (5-hit Bullet Seed is 187.5 BP x 2 = 375, somehow still below neutral 9-hit Population Bomb).

At that point it feels like you either need coverage to hit specifically things that don't care about Population Bomb like Ghosts or certain Steel-Dual types, Barb/Helmet Targets, or a move to enable easier set-up for Population Bomb (Encore or Taunt to get more chances to grab the Tidy Up Boost for example).

While less extreme it reminds me of Dracovish: Moves that aren't Fisheous Rend were only run for things Fisheous Rend literally could not touch because the BP disparity was that absurd.

I just saw a vid of someone who used a Kings Rock on Maushold to abuse the independent chance of inflicting flinch on each hit with great success. I am all but certain at this point the ban hammer will come on this family of mice next.

Spitballing this idea, caveat I have not tested this at all.

Maushold @ Choice Scarf
252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Population Bomb
- Sleep Talk
- Copycat

Utility revenge killer. You want to be clicking Population Bomb 99% of the time already so this set uses the remaining move slots to expand Maushold's utility. Sleep Talk cannot call Copycat, so Maushold becomes an effective sleep absorber. Copycat is something you would only click once in a blue moon but it gives you a free option for scenarios like scarf roar spam, in a moveslot that is otherwise not really doing anything.

Spitballing this idea, caveat I have not tested this at all.

Maushold @ Choice Scarf
252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Population Bomb
- Sleep Talk
- Copycat

Utility revenge killer. You want to be clicking Population Bomb 99% of the time already so this set uses the remaining move slots to expand Maushold's utility. Sleep Talk cannot call Copycat, so Maushold becomes an effective sleep absorber. Copycat is something you would only click once in a blue moon but it gives you a free option for scenarios like scarf roar spam, in a moveslot that is otherwise not really doing anything.
Maushold *needs* Wide Lens because of how Population Bomb works (does accuracy check for each hit until it misses). It isn't negotiable IMO. You just give up way too much power and reliability without the Lens.

Without Wide Lens it's just a gimmicky luck-based Pokemon. Wide Lens is what makes it a real Pokemon.

one set that I want to reccomend is this:
pure supporter:
Maushold @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Cheek Pouch
Tera Type: Water
EVs: 112 HP / 252 SpD / 144 Spe
Careful Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Tidy Up
- Encore
- Switcheroo
- Taunt

this set is gholdengo's worst nightmare.
tidy up is the only hazard control move that does not affect the opponent meaning that the only way for gholdengo to prevent it is by killing moushold before it gets the chance to use tidy up.
in order for this to happen gholdengo either must run a choice scarf set or have a teamate use sticky web.
this spread combined with the choice scarf guarantees that maushold can easily outrun gholdengo every time(unless if gholdengo is dumb enough to run choice scarf in a sticky web team).
the other moves are used for utility purposes against any other pokemon the enemy team may have.

I guess u-turn could replace encore or taunt.

What about using Loaded Dice on it? It makes multi-hit moves hit "more often" according to the game, so it sounds like it's the item version of Skill Link.

What about using Loaded Dice on it? It makes multi-hit moves hit "more often" according to the game, so it sounds like it's the item version of Skill Link.
As discussed ad nauseum on this site and even on this thread, population bomb works like triple axel so wide lens is the only viable item for maushold.

one set that I want to reccomend is this:
pure supporter:
Maushold @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Cheek Pouch
Tera Type: Water
EVs: 112 HP / 252 SpD / 144 Spe
Careful Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Tidy Up
- Encore
- Switcheroo
- Taunt

this set is gholdengo's worst nightmare.
tidy up is the only hazard control move that does not affect the opponent meaning that the only way for gholdengo to prevent it is by killing moushold before it gets the chance to use tidy up.
in order for this to happen gholdengo either must run a choice scarf set or have a teamate use sticky web.
this spread combined with the choice scarf guarantees that maushold can easily outrun gholdengo every time(unless if gholdengo is dumb enough to run choice scarf in a sticky web team).
the other moves are used for utility purposes against any other pokemon the enemy team may have.

I guess u-turn could replace encore or taunt.
to be honest , maushold is not fit for this role . With the presence of glimmora , toxic spikes are too common therefore , the role of hazard removal is really difficult . Not running heavy-duty boots makes maushold too weak to hazards. No attack maushold is like a burden on the team , where it can deal no damage . As far as scarf switcheroo is concerned , what after switcheroo ? you wont outspeed many stuffs with 144 speed evs . Further maushold will become a do nothing hazard remover , and if so , why not use corvi ? or even great tusk , both of which are better at this job - given the set . Tidy up is more of a dragon dance for maushold rather than defog . If you use a no attack set then whats the point of boosting ur stats , which effectively means , whats the point of using maushold over corvi , or great tusk which can atleast benefit from the +1 speed . Not using any attacks seems like a waste of a very good move in population bomb for me . Lastly population bomb maushold would appreciate the technician boost. As far as defogging against gholdengo is concerned , what is the point of moving first and defogging when gholdengo can 2hko with 252+ modest aura sphere ...
252+ SpA Gholdengo Aura Sphere vs. 112 HP / 252+ SpD Maushold-Four: 170-200 (53.6 - 63%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
and what after you defog ? the hazards can be set up again , and the next time maushold tries to remove them , it dies .

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)