Mareanie, Toxapex Discussion

Toxic Spikes seems cool, but you can't give up Toxic because you send Tox in and then you realize what now. Getting rid of Haze doesn't seem that awful, but it will be very team dependent.
This is true. I guess this is one Pokemon in particular that hates the burn nerf, because it can't rely on passive damage from Scald burns to wear down threats anymore.

Weak to Earthquake and gets Wide Guard? I want to see this in VGC, possibly alongside a Fire-type (Rock Slide weakness too).

But wow, this thing really can't pick just four moves, can it. It's almost too good, which my other favorite Pokémon tend to never, ever be.

Already bred several semi-perfect ones (Relaxed with 31 in HP, Def, SpA and SpD, random Speeds), both Merciless and Regenerator. My first breeding project in forever that didn't involve a 6IV Ditto. Forgot how tedious yet satisfying it can be.

Voltage

OTTN5
is a Pre-Contributor
Toxic Spikes seems cool, but you can't give up Toxic because you send Tox in and then you realize what now. Getting rid of Haze doesn't seem that awful, but it will be very team dependent.
Agreed with the whole team dependent thing. Toxapex looks to be an almost gluemon type of thing on defense, especially given that it wants to run so much, yet only has four moveslots. I wouldn't say it HAS 4MSS but it definitely can use the stuff it gets to strengthen whatever a team might need. If you're in need something to stop setup sweepers, run Haze. If you want to set up hazards with this thing and then do the whole crit thing, then run Tspikes. The fact remains that while your Toxapex won't be able to beat everything, that's what teammates are for, so like, it's definitely more of a weird glue than anything in my eyes.

Agreed with the whole team dependent thing. Toxapex looks to be an almost gluemon type of thing on defense, especially given that it wants to run so much, yet only has four moveslots. I wouldn't say it HAS 4MSS but it definitely can use the stuff it gets to strengthen whatever a team might need. If you're in need something to stop setup sweepers, run Haze. If you want to set up hazards with this thing and then do the whole crit thing, then run Tspikes. The fact remains that while your Toxapex won't be able to beat everything, that's what teammates are for, so like, it's definitely more of a weird glue than anything in my eyes.
Agreed, definitely a glue Mon. And interesting point about it's 4MSS. Realistically, it gets everything it needs. If it got more, it wouldn't really be fair lol. It has enough to make it successful.

This Pokemon is most likely based on an Australian starfish called the Crown of Thorns. An extremely oppressive and tenacious pest that feeds on coral polyps, is almost impossible to kill off due to fast reproduction, natural defenses, and adaptation. These beasties threaten to devastate reef ecosystems if left unchecked and have been a thorn (ha ha) in the sides of environmentalists for a long, long time.

On that note, this Pokemon is probably going to be just as much of a pest in the ecosystem of whatever tier it ends up in. I personally believe that an Infestation set will be really strong. Not only does Infestation allow you to whittle down toxic-immune targets, it also lets you hack into Pokemon who think they can shut you down with Taunt, since the initial strike is an attack. It's not as potent as Toxic, but as a bug-type move, nothing is immune to it. Makes for a great all-purpise % health damage option if, like me, you hate relying on Scald RNG.

Last edited:
This Pokemon is most likely based on an Australian starfish called the Crown of Thorns. An extremely oppressive and tenacious pest that feeds on coral polyps, is almost impossible to kill off due to fast reproduction, natural defenses, and adaptation. These beasties threaten to devastate reef ecosystems if left unchecked and have been a thorn (ha ha) in the sides of environmentalists for a long, long time.

On that note, this Pokemon is probably going to be just as much of a pest in the ecosystem of whatever tier it ends up in. I personally believe that an Infestation set will be really strong. Not only does Infestation allow you to whittle down toxic-immune targets, it also lets you hack into Pokemon who think they can shut you down with Taunt, since the initial strike is an attack. It's not as potent as Toxic, but as a bug-type move, nothing is immune to it. Makes for a great all-purpise % health damage option if, like me, you hate relying on Scald RNG.
I see.. that's why it always tries to attack Corsola in game lol

The only problem with Infestation over Scald is that if an attacker sets up a Sub, you'll never break it. Scald at least can do 25% to frailmons.

So figures you have to choose if you want to deal with taunt or substitute. Then again, running scald and infestation on the same set could work just fine. You can stack them together along with Toxic or Toxic spikes and then you still have one slot left for Recover.

Eheheh did anyone else notice that this monster has perfect typing synergy with Ferrothorn sans Ground types, who Ferro still deals with fairly easily? Stall has just found a new face.

Eheheh did anyone else notice that this monster has perfect typing synergy with Ferrothorn sans Ground types, who Ferro still deals with fairly easily? Stall has just found a new face.
Ahem.

If you want to fight extra cancerous, you can team up Toxapex with Ferrothorn, they cover each other´s weaknesses quite well (except for Toxapex´ Ground weakness).
On Page 4 :P

So how do you kill this thing again?
Well, if you can't beat its poison, just use it as fuel.
Choice Band Guts/ToxicBoost users will most likelly hit it hard (specially Facade users). Stuff like Swellow, Zangoose, Luxray, Flareon (poor thing hates water tho), Conkeldurr, SuperFang Raticate, Hariyama, Heracross, Machamp, Ursaring and Throh. Yet most of these carry Earthquake to deal super-effective damage to Toxapex.

Galvanize Explosion from Alolan Golem might OHKO it, I guess. (need to confirm)

I wish Toxapex would get Foul Play to pair with Merciless, so it could get banned to OU (or Ubers to troll Blaziken... not having ThunderPunch ofc).

Last edited:
Weak to Earthquake and gets Wide Guard? I want to see this in VGC, possibly alongside a Fire-type (Rock Slide weakness too).

But wow, this thing really can't pick just four moves, can it. It's almost too good, which my other favorite Pokémon tend to never, ever be.

Already bred several semi-perfect ones (Relaxed with 31 in HP, Def, SpA and SpD, random Speeds), both Merciless and Regenerator. My first breeding project in forever that didn't involve a 6IV Ditto. Forgot how tedious yet satisfying it can be.
Quick question, it may have already been asked or noted somewhere already, but I looked at the SoS encounter tables and thought that you couldn't chain Mareanie, so how do you find a Hidden Ability one?

Quick question, it may have already been asked or noted somewhere already, but I looked at the SoS encounter tables and thought that you couldn't chain Mareanie, so how do you find a Hidden Ability one?
I believe Corsola can sometimes SOS into Mareanine, but they'll attack each other.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)