Manaphy

aka THE CUTEST BORKMON :DDDD

I have no clue how this missed getting banned, but its back and its ready to give hell to anything that can't take it.

Manaphy @ Life Orb / Leftovers
Hydration / Timid
4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
-Tail Glow
-Surf
-Ice Beam
-Rest / Hidden Power [Electric]

Standard Tail Glow set with insta-heal thanks to HydraRest. Tail Glow boosts you to +3 instantly, which is incredible, while with Surf you're gonna be doing some damage. Ice Beam takes care of Electric-types and Grass-types on the switchin. With rain up you can 2HKO anything not named Jellicent (HP Electric up in this). Surf + BoltBeam + Tail Glow does DAMAGE.

Alternatively,

Manaphy @ Leftovers
Hydration / Timid
252 HP / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
-Calm Mind
-Scald
-Ice Beam
-Rest

A bulkier approach which lets you boost your defenses for a bulkier attacker. At +1 SpD not much is OHKOing Manaphy with a Special Attack besides maybe Virizion, while Scald messes with physical attackers thanks to the chance of the burn. You could probably get away with Surf though. Probably better on stall teams, appreciating Toxic Spikes support if any hazards.

also:
ala said:
Manaphy @ Leftovers
Trait: Hydration
EVs: 252 HP / 240 Def / 16 Spd
Bold Nature (+Def, -Atk)
- Tail Glow
- Surf
- Energy Ball
- Rest

Life Orb on Manaphy is overkill imo, when you are at +6 the extra power means nothing. I don't even use Special attack evs and it still gets the job done. Ice Beam is kinda useless on Manaphy imo, since unless you use Special defense evs you aren't surviving Latios' Draco Meteors/Thunders and +6 Surf does enough to most Water Resists anyhow. Without Energy Ball you risk getting stalled out by stupid crap like Suicune and Jellicent. The defense evs allow you to set up on Ferrothorn (Power Whip is a 3HKO) and 2HKO back with Surf. It also allows you to survive +2 Garchomp Outrages, +2 Dory Earthquakes and basically any non electric/grass physical moves, making it a great check to those threats just in case. 240 Speed also allows you to outspeed and ohko Breloom with a +3 Surf, since nobody uses Jolly (and that would be a crime!).
Anything I missed? Discuss!

Damn it doesn't get Thunder. That sucks...

The Tail Glow set can get revenge killed a lot. (At least in Ubers.) Not quite so sure about DW OU, but setup sweeper hates Ditto. As for stuff that can actually revenge it...hmm...

UltiMario

Out of Obscurity
is a Pokemon Researcher
TBH this is the thing I'm most scared of in this metagame.

Can't be statused. Has a 100% HP Recovery move. If you give it 2 turns of set up on practically any set the game is over.

I remember playing this shit way back. Manaphy is scary as shit.

one of the main reason i always have 2-3 pokemon with sunny day randomly thrown in.
Also manaphy has to be really careful about using rest cause if t-tar/hippo/aboma/ninetails comes in on the rest manaphy is forced to switch out or be a sitting duck for two turns.

idiotfrommars

HODOR HODOR HODOR
is a Tutor Alumnusis a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Four-Time Past WCoP Champion
You can also do a bulky set with Tail Glow. So 252 HP/ 252 Spe.

We tested Manaphy in the Clear Skies tier on PO and it was proved broken there without any rain support, so I don't see this bad boy lasting long in DW OU. The Calm Mind set is absolutely deadly since after one boost it is near impossible to OHKO.

Tricking Manaphy a choice item can work and you can always just Smash it before it has a chance to set up. Unfortunately though stuff like Specs Latios Draco Meteor won't OHKO Manaphy after a single CM boost, so it can just rest off the damage.

Lemonade

WOOPAGGING
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis an Artist Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Tail Glow with Wacan or the Grass resist berry is priceless. You just sit there and KO and they lose their answer to Manaphy. I'll even say that LO / Lefties are hardly needed for anything since omg just so strong.

Nix_Hex

Uangaana kasuttortunga!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I finally decided to try out Dream World OU last night and played 10 matches; I won the first 8, then lost 2 and decided to call it quits before tilt set in. The core of my team is Specs Politoed and Tail Glow Manaphy, and it just wrecks shit. Surf and Ice Beam offer pretty much everything I need after 2 Tail Glows and a Life Orb. Rest heals off the residual damage by Life Orb. I faced a Blissey last night who took 94% from Surf, while Ice Beam 2HKOed Ferrothorn (I know I should have used Surf but that's just a testament to how fantastic Ferrothorn's Special Defense is).

Tail Glow with Wacan or the Grass resist berry is priceless. You just sit there and KO and they lose their answer to Manaphy. I'll even say that LO / Lefties are hardly needed for anything since omg just so strong.
Rindo Berry would be great for Chandelure's Energy Ball, but my opponent's Scarf Chandy only did 71% with Energy Ball.

alamaster

hello
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
I think you should edit this into the OP Natgeo, as it is possibly the best Tail Glow set and it has been the most effective for me.

Manaphy @ Leftovers
Bold Nature (+Def, -Atk)
- Tail Glow
- Surf
- Energy Ball
- Rest

Life Orb on Manaphy is overkill imo, when you are at +6 the extra power means nothing. I don't even use Special attack evs and it still gets the job done. Ice Beam is kinda useless on Manaphy imo, since unless you use Special defense evs you aren't surviving Latios' Draco Meteors/Thunders and +6 Surf does enough to most Water Resists anyhow. Without Energy Ball you risk getting stalled out by stupid crap like Suicune and Jellicent. The defense evs allow you to set up on Ferrothorn (Power Whip is a 3HKO) and 2HKO back with Surf. It also allows you to survive +2 Garchomp Outrages, +2 Dory Earthquakes and basically any non electric/grass physical moves, making it a great check to those threats just in case. 240 Speed also allows you to outspeed and ohko Breloom with a +3 Surf, since nobody uses Jolly (and that would be a crime!).

Honestly there's so many uses for Defensive Manaphy, he doesn't even miss out on any important KOs that offensive Manaphy gets save for maybe Latias but just use Jirachi or something to take care of her. Oh and watch out for Parasect, that thing actually beat me back in the Skymin era of BW.

Energy Ball is kinda risky since Ditto is everywhere in DW OU. The first set is OK because you resist Surf and can easily stall out 5 turns with Rest and make Ditto switch.

alamaster

hello
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
Honestly I haven't seen many Ditto in the tier, but if I do I wouldn't stay in. My current team has a couple good grass resists and with Manaphy's ease of setting up it's not a huge issue to switch out and set up again. Ditto also has shit hp, pretty sure my energy ball KOs at +3 while his fails to.

Been playing around with Manaphy, and I have to say, this thing needs to be banned. Stall teams cannot do shit to Manaphy and Manaphy can just OHKO each member of the team with two turns of setup. Easily one of the most broken Pokemon in DW OU, with only things like Shadow Tag Chandelure giving any competition.

As previously mentioned, this thing is so freaking broken. After one Tail Glow, you basically 2HKO half the tier. After two, you OHKO almost the entire tier. Need I say more? Manaphy is also bulky enough to take assaults from some Choice Scarf users and can definitely take any priority. I feel that the only true counter to this is Thundurus, but even then, he cannot switch into any attack, let alone set up Nasty Plot.

shrang

General Kenobi
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Just editting this slightly:

Manaphy @ Leftovers
Bold Nature (+Def, -Atk)
- Tail Glow
- Surf
- Energy Ball
- Rest / Substitute
Manaphy can create 101 HP Subs, and in the case where you can't get up the rain, Substitute is fine enough to avoid status. It also lets you potentially avoid a revenge kill because you're under a Sub too.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)