Make Sense Of Your Shoddy Battle Rating

X-Act

np: Biffy Clyro - Shock Shock
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Programmer Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Researcher Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
Here is a way to work out approximately what your deviation sigma will become on the following day if you play g amount of battles in a day:

Step 1) Start with your sigma (rating deviation), square it, and multiply the answer by 5.302. Then add 576 to the resulting number.
Step 2) Divide 160000 by the number found in Step 1.
Step 3) Divide the number of games g played by 4.717, then add this number to the number found in Step 2.
Step 4) Raise the number found in Step 3 by the power -0.5.
Step 5) The new deviation will be approximately equal to the number found in Step 4 multiplied by 173.7178.

This can be written by the following formula:

Code:
New Deviation ~= 173.7178 x (160000 / (5.302 x sigma^2 + 576) + (g / 4.717)) ^ -0.5
For example, suppose I have a deviation of 60, and I play 5 battles in a day.

Step 1) 60^2 = 3600. 3600 x 5.302 = 19087.2. 19087.2 + 576 = 19663.2.
Step 2) 160000 / 19663.2 = 8.137.
Step 3) 5 / 4.717 = 1.06. 8.137 + 1.06 = 9.197.
Step 4) 9.197 ^ -0.5 = 0.3297.
Step 5) New deviation is approximately 0.3297 x 173.7178 = 57.28.

Yeah, well, it still doesn't tell us the basic.

What's the worst rating on the server? The best ? The mean ? the standard deviation? How many people play ? Am I in the worst quarter? the second worst? the second best or best?

It's that kind of information users want when they look at their rating and it is honestly quite difficult to obtain. I've been playing competitive pokemon for a year and I've never been able to find this kind of information.

Edit =» I mean, it's all well and good to know how the value of the rating evolve, good work for that. It's just that everyone was congratulating you, so I figure you did not need an additionnal person to praise you. Now I realise I may have been harsh.

Still, I would really like to know the above information and it apparently does not quite fit the "simple" on the ask a simple question/get a simple answer.

I was redirected here after asking and it did not answered my questions, so I figured would just ask here.

Yes, I would like to know this as well. Clearly 1600+ is what the best have, and you start at 100 and work your way up.

But what about 1100? 1300?

lol.

The leaderboard only gives info about the top 50 battlers.

Thus, If I happen to be 51st of lower, the leaderboard does nothing for me, because I have no info on who's between me and the 50th, or if they even exist.

There is an option to Reset Ladder Rating but it's grayed out. Who can use it? And is there any way for normal players to reset their rating?

@Azbycx - While browsing the source of the client, I found that the rating reset is complete, its just unavailable. I believe you could patch that up using your own client and reset it there, but it might not be happy with the smogon server.

Thanks =D Can anyone (preferably moderators) clarify if that is legal? Maybe it'll be made available in Shoddy 2 =D

Shoddy Battle is open-source and you are welcome to make modifications to your own server. (I moderate this specific forum, fwiw, though I don't have bold mods.)

Ok, but are we allowed to modify the game client? Since each account is unique to one server, it's no use making my own since I can't transfer my Smogon account over to my server and reset it. Or can I?

So what's left is to either modify the client to enable that function across all servers, or send a request to Smogon to enable it for their server.

Or I can wait till Shoddy 2 comes out and see if it's ready to use =D

You can make your own server, and use a custom client. However, you may need to coordinate them to work together as some functions need backend and the frontend of ShoddyBattle. You can transfer your smogon account over if you make it and query you ratings in. Here is a sample query: (once you have your server setup)

Code:
USE *database*;
UPDATE users SET rating = "*your desired rating*" WHERE name = "your  username";
Different ladders will have different SQL queries. If you need anything else related to this SQL, ask me.

Yeah, well, it still doesn't tell us the basic.

What's the worst rating on the server? The best ? The mean ? the standard deviation? How many people play ? Am I in the worst quarter? the second worst? the second best or best?

It's that kind of information users want when they look at their rating and it is honestly quite difficult to obtain. I've been playing competitive pokemon for a year and I've never been able to find this kind of information.

Edit =» I mean, it's all well and good to know how the value of the rating evolve, good work for that. It's just that everyone was congratulating you, so I figure you did not need an additionnal person to praise you. Now I realise I may have been harsh.

Still, I would really like to know the above information and it apparently does not quite fit the "simple" on the ask a simple question/get a simple answer.

I was redirected here after asking and it did not answered my questions, so I figured would just ask here.
I'll be bumping that. Haven't got a straight answer yet.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)