Little things you like about Pokémon

I know I said yesterday I would let the dust settle on SV before I post about it, but one line of dialogue caught me so off guard I just had to post it.

After you rematch Iono in the postgame, she says something to the effect of "I'm trending like the Internet is mad at me!"

Considering this game's unfair user review-bombed reception (SV are the lowest user-rated games in the series which is ridiculous), I have a feeling this was snuck in by a genre savvy staff member at the last minute. It's the biggest "DANG, BOYEEEEEEE" moment I've ever seen in a game. Whether it was oddly predicting the backlash to SV or simply poking fun at SWSH's Dexit reception, I find the line absolutely hysterical that I immediately paused the game and breathlessly got my computer to post about it. 10/10 satire.

By the way, Iono in general is an amazing character. The fact that a Pokemon streamer exists in the game in such a tongue-in-cheek fashion is just inherently absurd in the best way and I can't get enough of it. Ionio is my friendo.

Last edited:
Iono Hype Squad Rise Up
Nope, burn her :) By far my least liked NPC of the entire generation.

....that said, idk how much of a spoiler this is, but I'm spoilertagging it anyway just to be sure.

I really love that in this generation, all of the gym leaders actually have regular jobs and are gym leaders as a side-thing they do.
And even better, several of the gym trials feature you basically working for them for free to be eligible to fight them.
That does also include Iono who is a full time streamers and has you partecipate to a live direct, or the singer which has you do the opening act.

It gives a more relatable dimension to the characters rather than just these guys that apparently just sit around waiting for people to challenge them.

Oh and the fact that the Normal gym leader is the "normalest person ever" aka just a regular office employee is absolutely amazing and by far my favourite gym leader of the series. It doesn't help that his ace almost singlehandedly facerolled my team and my Lycanroc just barely clutched it.

Oh and, more spoilery, but another little touch I really loved:

During the champion assessment, you're asked who the Gym leader you struggled the most is... and you get to face him/her again as E4.
You also have to actually remind the type they used and which city they are from (kekw i failed this one first try, and yes I obviously picked the Normal guy), and then the game just catches you off anyway by making them use another type.
10/10 would get trolled again.

...too bad the E4 bgm is... really awful. Like what the actual fuck is that :(

Nope, burn her :) By far my least liked NPC of the entire generation.

....that said, idk how much of a spoiler this is, but I'm spoilertagging it anyway just to be sure.

I really love that in this generation, all of the gym leaders actually have regular jobs and are gym leaders as a side-thing they do.
And even better, several of the gym trials feature you basically working for them for free to be eligible to fight them.
That does also include Iono who is a full time streamers and has you partecipate to a live direct, or the singer which has you do the opening act.

It gives a more relatable dimension to the characters rather than just these guys that apparently just sit around waiting for people to challenge them.

Oh and the fact that the Normal gym leader is the "normalest person ever" aka just a regular office employee is absolutely amazing and by far my favourite gym leader of the series. It doesn't help that his ace almost singlehandedly facerolled my team and my Lycanroc just barely clutched it.

Oh and, more spoilery, but another little touch I really loved:

During the champion assessment, you're asked who the Gym leader you struggled the most is... and you get to face him/her again as E4.
You also have to actually remind the type they used and which city they are from (kekw i failed this one first try, and yes I obviously picked the Normal guy), and then the game just catches you off anyway by making them use another type.
10/10 would get trolled again.

...too bad the E4 bgm is... really awful. Like what the actual fuck is that :(
My understanding is no you always face Larry, you just happened to have the most trouble with him.

Also I think, I'm not there yet but from what I've heard, that the E4 music and Champion music are bugged and only plays a portion of the song.

QuentinQuonce

formerly green_typhlosion

Gen V kicked this off and it's something that should have been the standard ever since. Made all the characters so much more interesting

Gen V kicked this off and it's something that should have been the standard ever since. Made all the characters so much more interesting
Gen 6 also had shades of it. Viola's a photographer, Valorie is I'm pretty sure a fashion designer, Ramos does appear to be an actual gardener judging by his office. Clemont runs the power grid. Grant strikes me as someone who made his hobby (rock climbing) his job. The others definitely downplay it, though.
Gen 7 everyone's a kid or teen & the position is temporary so it's understandable why it's downplayed. Kiawe had a job (and lost it) but the others are mostly just hobbies (cooking, fishing, art, messing with the virtual world, etc)

Gen 8 mostly dropped it since being a gym leader is positioned far more as being a sports star and all that entails. So it's a capital j Job. So I think that's fair. Though even then Nessa's a professional model, Milo is an actual farmer, Piers is in a band....in that case their non-Leader jobs are the side gig.

QuentinQuonce

Most NPCs are generally there to provide helpful hints on what you should do, but every so often you get one that doesn't. I'm playing Crystal rn and there's a little girl in the Battle Tower who says "I'm going to see how far I can get just by using Bug-types. Please don't let there be any Fire-types..."

Obviously, themed teams are a thing and many players IRL have done monotype teams very successfully, but her approach just makes it clear how un-optimal entering the Battle Tower with three Pokemon of the same type would be since, as she anticipates, once you encounter your weakness you'll find it very hard to deal with. When you play with a massive, gaping weakness you're basically reduced to just praying that it doesn't show up.

It's cool to have a random, unimportant NPC who shows you what not to do.

I know I said yesterday I would let the dust settle on SV before I post about it, but one line of dialogue caught me so off guard I just had to post it.

After you rematch Iono in the postgame, she says something to the effect of "I'm trending like the Internet is mad at me!"

Considering this game's unfair user review-bombed reception (SV are the lowest user-rated games in the series which is ridiculous), I have a feeling this was snuck in by a genre savvy staff member at the last minute. It's the biggest "DANG, BOYEEEEEEE" moment I've ever seen in a game. Whether it was oddly predicting the backlash to SV or simply poking fun at SWSH's Dexit reception, I find the line absolutely hysterical that I immediately paused the game and breathlessly got my computer to post about it. 10/10 satire.

By the way, Iono in general is an amazing character. The fact that a Pokemon streamer exists in the game in such a tongue-in-cheek fashion is just inherently absurd in the best way and I can't get enough of it. Ionio is my friendo.
I don't understand why people would interpret this line as a specific callout against angry fans instead of a reference to the very common (and topical) phenomenon of celebrities and content creators getting cancelled online. The idea that you never get more attention than when you make people on the Internet angry is just a part of our cultural consciousness now. Not everything is some Epic Clapback Against The Haters.

I don't understand why people would interpret this line as a specific callout against angry fans instead of a reference to the very common (and topical) phenomenon of celebrities and content creators getting cancelled online. The idea that you never get more attention than when you make people on the Internet angry is just a part of our cultural consciousness now. Not everything is some Epic Clapback Against The Haters.
Yeah I’m not involved with streamer / internet celebrity culture so I didn’t make that analogy partially because my interests are exceptionally narrow. Never really heard of cancelled content creators either. To each their own though.

the heck is a “clapback”

Karxrida

Death to the Undying Savage
is a Community Contributor Alumnus
Spoilers for SV I guess.

I appreciate how only two Paradox Pokémon are from Generation I, and they didn't go the super obvious Pikachu and Charizard route for once. There's decent variety in the Paradox choices in general.

Also I just fucking love Iron Hands. I don't have any strong feelings about Hariyama but that name just gets me. Cool typing, too.

Last edited:

QuentinQuonce

I like that after four generations of straight-up not bothering, they've finally found a way to incorporate Deerling/Sawsbuck's ability to change forms into the game. To wit: each quarter of Paldea corresponds to one of the four forms, and they'll switch appearance if taken to a location other than the one they were caught in.

This is basically what I thought they should have always done once seasons were abandoned. Alola has four islands; Kalos has an autumnal-looking area (Laverre City and possibly also the desert section), a snowy part (Snowbelle City, Dendemille Town, Anistar City, and the Frost Cavern), and could have made the coastal section the summer area while making everywhere else count as spring. Failing that, just introduce a new item or something. But they seemingly didn't care enough to bother.

Since Gen 3, there have been five main flavors in Pokemon, but Gen 9 seems to have made an alteration to those flavors with the Herba Mystica. Previously, everything used Sweet/Sour/Spicy/Bitter/Dry, but the Herba Mystica use Sweet/Sour/Spicy/Bitter/Salty.

Back when I played Emerald as a wee lad, I was very confused about what the hell a dry flavor was. I'm now in my mid 20's and I still don't really know what a dry flavor is. I hope Pokemon sticks with Salty for future flavor mechanics, because I think it's telling that one of the first suggestions you get when you Google search "dry flavor" is "dry flavor pokemon".

Since Gen 3, there have been five main flavors in Pokemon, but Gen 9 seems to have made an alteration to those flavors with the Herba Mystica. Previously, everything used Sweet/Sour/Spicy/Bitter/Dry, but the Herba Mystica use Sweet/Sour/Spicy/Bitter/Salty.

Back when I played Emerald as a wee lad, I was very confused about what the hell a dry flavor was. I'm now in my mid 20's and I still don't really know what a dry flavor is. I hope Pokemon sticks with Salty for future flavor mechanics, because I think it's telling that one of the first suggestions you get when you Google search "dry flavor" is "dry flavor pokemon".
I'm still 100% confident that they changed it to Salty just because of Gargananananananacl and if you think not you're lieing to yourself :wo:

I always took "dry" to mean, well, uh. Dry. Like have you ever had a plain potato chip? Or maybe just tasted a potato skin (don't recommend). Or had a particularly unseasoned steak.
Checking some of the berries associated also provides some examples. Have you ever had a Chest nut? Pretty dry.

Japanese name is "astirngent" which
Astringency, the dry, puckering or numbing mouthfeel caused by the tannins[2][3] in unripe fruits, lets the fruit mature by deterring eating. Ripe fruits and fruit parts including blackthorn (sloe berries), Aronia chokeberry, chokecherry, bird cherry, rhubarb, quince and persimmon fruits (especially those which are unripe), banana skins (or unripe bananas), cashew fruits and acorns are astringent.[4] Citrus fruits, like lemons, are somewhat astringent. Tannins, being a kind of polyphenol, bind salivary proteins and make them precipitate and aggregate,[5][6][7] producing a rough, "sandpapery", or dry sensation in the mouth. The tannins in some teas, coffee, and red grape wines like Cabernet Sauvignon and Merlot produce mild astringency.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 3)