Little Cup Stats - September 2011

This is borderline off-topic, so perhaps it should be moved to a separate thread, but I do feel the need to respond.

To recap, anything with some sort of reliable recover becomes nearly impossible for almost any Pokemon to kill except for a super effective STAB attack or another Eviolite Pokemon with a stat boosting move. Eviolite does a similar thing to Berry Juice except it significantly boosts Pokemon with recovery AND a stat boost rather than every stat-boosting Pokemon. It makes them really hard to KO and with the stat boosts, you know they'll KO you right back. Note that recovery moves include Drain Punch which is very common in this metagame due to so many Pokemon having it (Croagunk, Mienfoo, Timburr, Scraggy, etc).
I guess there would be a two part response to this.

If it was the case that Eviolite made stat boosting so deadly [for pokes with recovery], wouldn't stat boosters be far more common then they are? The only really common stat boosters in this metagame are DD Scraggy and SD Drilbur (I could also count Timburr, but from experience most people run Toxic over Bulk Up anyways, and it's really not a sweeper anyways). The reason they aren't common is because it isn't true that "you won't be able to KO them/they'll be able to KO you back". Since the walls in the tier can also use Eviolite, they are too hard to bust through even for boosted sweepers, especially since the sweepers lack Life Orb! Most sweepers (outside of Scraggy and I guess Drilbur) just aren't bulky AND strong enough to be able to bust through all the common walls in the tier while not dying. This of course isn't even mentioning the fact that a stat booster with recovery would only have two real attacking slots, unless, like Scraggy, they are running Drain Punch/Giga Drain. And any evidence you provide to the contrary (calcs of how strong Scraggy is or something, idk) still are contested by the fact that stat boosting is almost non-existent (until you counter this point)....

Anyways, the argument as a whole still 'misses the point'. You state, "anything with a reliable recovery move becomes almost impossible to kill outside of SE attacks or boosted attacks". Not only is this a slight exaggeration (you can also use poison to stall out, or just wall the Pokemon (which isn't directly killing, but in the long run it will). This holds true for almost every Pokemon in the metagame. Obviously you can't just OHKO everything if that's what you intended...?), but you never even elaborate as to why this is uncompetitive/makes it bannable. You just [falsely] jump to the conclusion that it gives certain Pokemon (ones with boosting moves) "an uncompetitive edge". It certainly gives them an advantage over others, but how is that uncompetitive? There will always be Pokemon that have an advantage over others, and the advantage Eviolite gives stat boosting Pokemon clearly isn't that great (as shown by the lack of common stat boosters). The boost it gives walls/defensive pokemon in general is I suppose greater, but not only was that not really in your argument, you would still need to show that this boost is too much to allow Eviolite to remain in LC.

I guess I missed the posts that you are recapping though? The only real anti-Eviolite post I remember is the one in KD's RMT which really is "I don't like Eviolite, I think it's boring". So maybe I'm glossing over some other arguments that you are referring to or something.

Ray Jay

"Jump first, ask questions later, oui oui!"
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
chinchou is overrated for sure
Chinchou dropped and swapped spots with Staryu, not seeing how it is overrated. Nothing's changed for it in recent days; it was good before the ban of Gligar, now it's even better. Would like to see you back up this argument a little.

oh i was looking down the list and i saw that phanpy is less used then magikarp and feebs, was like phanpy banned and i wasnt told? or what...

ultimatedarkrai it's because people use joke teams with those Pokemon on them. Phanpy isn't good so people that actually play Little Cup won't use it.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)