Little Cup Research Week #2

Little Cup Research Week!

Hello! Welcome to Little Cup Research Week (or LCRW) This is a project aimed to discover the potential of Pokemon in Little Cup that may not see the usage they deserve. Each week 3 Pokemon will be chosen and you have a whole week to discuss the Pokemon selected. Here are a few rules when discussing the Pokemon

•Please stay on topic, don't go discussing any pokemon other than the Pokemon selected for the research week. DO NOT use this thread to suggest Pokemon for future research weeks
•When discussing the Pokemon feel free to talk about its strengths, weaknesses and its role in the metagame. Make sure you have a reason behind the things you say about a particular Pokemon. This will help people understand what your are trying to say. Saying something like "I didn't like using Vullaby" and giving no reason behind it is unacceptable.

So the 3 Pokémon for Week #1 are Lickitung, Vullaby, and Golett! also these rounds will last approximately a week so you have a week to discuss these 3 Pokémon and try them out on the ladder!

Lickitung is known primarily as a special wall that has the very useful move Wish, to provide support for itself, and its teammates. Vullaby is a great bulky Pokémon with access to a variety of support moves, and Nasty Plot to attempt a sweep. Golett is probably the least used of the three but it is an interesting Stealth Rock user that packs quite a punch too. What else can we learn about these Pokémon?

This project will also have a ladder challenge! Feel free to post a new alt and the Pokémon(s) you are using anyone that reaches in the 2000s will receive "Gold" anyone that reaches 1950 will recieve "Silver" and anyone that reaches 1900 will receive Bronze in the LCRW Hall of Fame. Also your deviation must be 85 or less. I encourage people to post the set they are using when they sign up and after the week is over, it might be fun to post your whole team and how they used the Pokémon(s) in the Research Week.

An example sign-up for the ladder challenge could look like this:

Alt: Superpowerdude
Pokémon: Lickitung @ Eviolite
Trait: Own Tempo
EVs: 196 HP / 76 Def / 236 SDef
Bold Nature
- Dragon Tail
- Wish
- Protect
- Return

That's all that has to be said! Please stick to the rules and enjoy discussing and trying some Pokémon you may of not even thought about testing before.

apt-get

it's not over 'til it's over
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
Alt: Apt-Quads
Pokémon: Lickitung @ Eviolite
EVs: 196 HP / 76 Def / 236 SpD
Careful Nature
- Rest
- Sleep Talk
- Curse
- Body Slam

Last edited:
Alt: Zoroark goes LC
Pokemon: Lickitung@Eviolite
EVs: 196 HP/ 76 Def/ 236 SDef
Careful Nature
-Wish
-Protect
-Dragon Tail
-Knock Off

Alt: Callisto
Rank: 1007 (I'm hoping to reach 2000 ± 85 as soon as possible)
Pokémon: Golett @ Eviolite
Trait: Iron Fist
EVs: 44 HP / 244 Atk / 116 Def / 84 Spd
Adamant Nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
- Earthquake
- Shadow Punch Thunder Punch
- Drain Punch
- Ice Punch
I played few games, also meeting Axis. I found eviolite Golett too slow and too vulnerable to several pokemon, strong and common in LC; even at Vullaby. It's enough to prevent its switch in free, and so easy to hit it fatally
Let me know what you are thinking about that, it could be a good discussion subject. Speaking with Axis, one possible idea is to use a scarf version. So i change set (and nick, 6 W and 3 L is a poor score!)

Last edited:

mael

not the same but equal
is a Community Contributorwon the 14th Official Smogon Tournamentis a Past SPL Champion
UUPL Champion
Alt: Repairs
Pokémon: Vullaby (F) @ Eviolite
Trait: Weak Armor
Level: 5
EVs: 196 Spd / 240 SAtk / 72 HP
Modest Nature
- Dark Pulse
- Air Slash
- Hidden Power [Ground]
- Nasty Plot

Alt: Summertime Sadness
Set:

(F) @ Eviolite
Trait: Overcoat
EVs: 116 HP / 76 Atk / 76 Def / 236 SDef
Impish Nature
- Foul Play
- Brave Bird
- Roost
- Toxic / Whirlwind

Alt: Wedding Dress
Pokémon:
Vullaby (F) @ Eviolite
Trait: Weak Armor
EVs: 236 SAtk / 76 SDef / 196 Spd
Timid Nature
- Roost
- Air Slash
- Nasty Plot
- Dark Pulse

Time for a comeback.

Last edited:
I received on PS this message about my Golett set:
Your team was rejected for the following reasons: - Golett can't learn Shadow Punch.
Is it a bug? I wrote a little message about it on PS forum.

Last edited:

apt-get

it's not over 'til it's over
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
I received on PS this message about my Golett set:

Is it a bug? I wrote a little message about it on PS forum.
No, it's a level-up move whereas golett is genderless and doesn't have access to the pomeg glitch since it's not in R/S/E.

ive been kinda messin around with a ghost mono lately( just cuz i find mono fun) and golett has been puttin in some work. I was also running trick room duskull (just cuz) and golett can ohko a lot of stuff and has amazing move coverage and just lacks speed which trick room gives. I made him really bulky, but im gonna change that soon (im lazy).

Golett @ Eviolite
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 4 Atk / 196 SDef / 196 Def / 44 HP
Adamant Nature
- Earthquake
- Ice Punch
- Drain Punch
- ThunderPunch

Alt: Lisidea
Pokemon: Golett@Choice Band
EVs: 244 Atk / 236 Spd
Adamant Nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
- Earthquake
- ThunderPunch
- Drain Punch
- Ice Punch

Last edited:
There we go under 85 Deviation only lost one match against DoYouSeeWhatLC with a bit of hax but still props to him.
Format ACRE GXE Glicko2 W L T
lc 2014 92 2133 ± 85 29 1 0

Vullaby is so strong... He is often overshadowed by his cousin Murkrow but I still think he has nothing to envy him as his strengths are in other places. I use him in a semi volt-turn team as a choice scarf user and plays a very big part in the team as there is never a game where I don't rely on him. I use him over Murkrow mostly for the u-turn as it helps a lot with keeping momentum. He does have his fair share of counters but when it comes to killing Snovers, misdreavus, LO Krow and all those fighting or grass types, he is superb. He is one of the best pokemons to kill a +2 Missy if it took some damage, especially if he got knocked off. Another small but still nice thing about him is that on top of his reliable bluk, he does not take damage from hail or sand making him more durable than a scarf Krow.

Rowan

The professor?
is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Alt: lcrwcork
Pokemon:
Vullaby (F) @ Eviolite
Trait: Overcoat
EVs: 236 Def / 236 SDef / 36 Spd
Impish Nature
- Brave Bird
- U-turn
- Taunt
- Roost

I already have a team with Vullaby in so I guess I'll use that. This is the set I use and it forms a really good voltturn core alongside Mienfoo and Chinchou. It makes an excellent wall for non T-bolt Misdreavus, fighting types and even bulky walls, thanks to taunt. Taunt is also the only way on my team that I can prevent hazards. It's just the EVs I'm unsure about, if anyone wants to suggest something, please do. This sort of Vullaby set has lots of other options that can be used over taunt such as Knock Off and Toxic, so you can use whatever your team needs really.

As other people have stated, U-turn is the thing that really sets Vullaby apart from Murkrow making it a really great momentum gainer. If you're going to use scarf or bulky vullaby without U-turn, you're doing it wrong and should be using Murkrow (in my opinion), who has better speed and offensive presence, which makes up for it's lesser bulk.

Grats on making it to the hall of fams Axis. I think this project has shed some light on U-turn for Vullaby. U-turn is such an amazing move to pivot and grab momentum and I like how its explained "U-turn is what sets it apart from Murkrow" and it gives it a niche that is pretty cool. I havn't really experienced vsing much U-turn Vullaby since most people run the bulky set but even then I think it would be useful on that set to act as a bulky pivot and good check to the Fighting-types in the tier. I really like Corkscrews moveset and of course Knock Off, and Toxic are good options over Taunt too.

Another little perk it has offensevily which Murkrow doesn't is Nasty Plot to boost its special attack. Add that to a good special movepool consisting of Heat Wave, Air Slash, and Dark Pulse and it can actually be a pretty good attacker.Weak Armour can also be used to turn Vullaby into a lategame cleaner by potentially racking up a +1 boost in speed.

Ok moving on to round 2 congrats on Axis for reaching gold and tuo for reaching silver! This weeks mons are

Wynuat is known for its unique role of being able to trap Pokémon with Shadow Tag and having access to Counter and Mirror Coat. Exeggute, has very unique typing and is pretty versatile offensivel and defensively, Tentacruel is one of the lesser used rapid spinners, and its typing lets it beat the ever present Snover! What else do these Pokémon have in store?

Alt: MyFlowerISGrey
Pokemon:
Tentacool (M) @ Eviolite
Trait: Liquid Ooze
EVs: 196 HP / 76 Def / 196 SDef / 36 Spd
Calm Nature (+SDef, -Atk)
- Toxic Spikes
- Rapid Spin
- Knock Off
- Scald

P.S.: Sorry for first week, I played very bad; I do not report the score, because really low.

I haven't reached the right score. However, I can report how can be helpful Tentacool, above all vs Snover and Lileep. As well as become decisive toxic spikes; I haven't use it in a weather team but I'm sure together weather damage, doing their job to nibble HP very well.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)