Little Cup Checks Compendium - Infamous Edition

Idea from Tressed
Approved by Quote
[02:06:04] Based Infamy: hey Quote do I have permission to start working on the Checks Compendium revamp?
[02:09:15] #Quote: I forgot that existed tbh
[02:09:30] #Quote: Probably because it's already on page 3
[02:09:48] Based Infamy: yeah but it's super useful
[02:10:00] #Quote: Did people actually use it?
[02:10:22] Based Infamy: I used it and I'm fairly sure other people did too
[02:10:32] #Quote: alright then
[02:10:58] #Quote: all I remember was that it got posted, Levi said it was shit, and then it ended up on page 3
[02:10:59] Based Infamy: :D thanks
[02:11:19] #Quote: np

LITTLE CUP CHECKS COMPENDIUM - MARVELOUS EDITION

FAQS:

W
HAT IS THE LITTLE CUP CHECKS COMPENDIUM - INFAMOUS EDITION?

The Little Cup Checks Compendium - Marvelous Edition is a resource for teambuilding. Its goal is to provide teambuilders with a tool to visualize the offensive and defensive synergies of their teams.

H
OW ARE THE POKEMON ARRANGED?

The Pokemon are listed by their ranking in the Little Cup Viability Rankings 2.0 thread. They are listed alphabetically within these ranks. Their checks and what they check are listed alphabetically.

W
HAT DO GSI, SSI, AND NSI MEAN?

GSI, SSI, and NSI are used to denote the ability of a certain Pokemon to check another Pokemon. GSI stands for Guaranteed Switch-In, which means that it can always switch into the Pokemon from full health and beat it (always assumes that the Pokemon is running either moves in its analysis or used over 3.41% on the 1730 ladder stats; e.g. Cottonee is a GSI to Carvanha because it doesn't run Poison Fang). SSI stands for Situational Switch-In, which means that it can sometimes switch into the Pokemon from full health and beat it. NSI stands for No Switch-In, which means that it cannot switch into the Pokemon but it can beat it if it can switch in without absorbing a hit. "GSI to" means the Pokemon to which this Pokemon is a guaranteed switch-in, and the same goes for "SSI to" and "NSI to."

W
HERE ARE THE B, C, AND D RANKS?

I'm currently working on the B, C, and D ranks. These Pokemon are not as relevant to the Little Cup metagame, so I prioritize the A and high B ranks over them.

WHY ISN'T SUCH-AND-SUCH P
OKEMON LISTED IN SUCH-AND-SUCH CATEGORY?

I probably forgot it. Please call me out on my bullshit. If you disagree with something, please ask! I would be glad to explain my logic and/or look like a fool but have the Little Cup Checks Compendium - Marvelous Edition be better in the long run. Also, it should be noted that I haven't had the time to proofread the Little Cup Checks Compendium - Marvelous Edition, because I've been working primarily on transcribing the previous iteration and adding details to it to make it more user-friendly, so there may be some errors that I haven't noticed.

H
OW CAN I HELP?

This thread is very much a work in progress. I don't think it will ever be perfect, but I'm well aware that I've made a lot of mistakes in my endeavors. As such, I would love if you could take a little time out of your day to look this over and tell me anything you disagree with. You'll be doing everybody a service. Otherwise, you can help by using it to build better teams!

SPECIAL THANKS:

to trash and kingmidas, for compiling the original version of this thread.

to Quote, for approving this project and being way cooler than I thought he was.

to Celestavian and Fiend, for putting lots of work into the Viability Rankings.

to all of my other friends, for being great people.

Last edited:
For those with slow internet: text-only version (most complete).
For those with a passion for color-coded charts: spreadsheet (more complete than below).

DIGLETT

GSI: none
SSI: none
NSI:

MIENFOO

GSI:

SSI:

NSI:

PAWNIARD

GSI:

SSI:

NSI:

PORYGON

GSI:

SSI:

NSI:
ABRA

GSI:

SSI:

NSI:
DRIFLOON

GSI:

SSI:

NSI:
FLETCHLING

GSI:

SSI:

NSI:
GASTLY

GSI:

SSI:

NSI:
MAGNEMITE

GSI:

SSI:

NSI:
TIMBURR

GSI:

SSI:

NSI:
Code:
[B][SIZE=7]P[/SIZE][SIZE=6]LACEHOLDER[/SIZE][/B]
[U][INDENT]GSI:
SSI:
NSI: [/INDENT][/U]
Code:
[B][SIZE=7]P[/SIZE][SIZE=6]LACEHOLDER[/SIZE][/B]
[U][INDENT]GSI:
SSI:
NSI: [/INDENT][/U]
Enjoy :]

Last edited:

Corporal Levi

ninjadog of the decade
is a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnus
What a marvelous thread.
(Nineage let me know asap if you'd like any of this removed, I don't remember anything about having to keep it on the low atm) Nineage has been working on a bot recently which takes an importable and gives you its weaknesses to major threats. He originally used the gsi-ssi-nsi system, but after we discussed it a bit, we agreed the system wasn't great for giving good rates and I offered to write a more in-depth version for mons up to B+. (asi for revenge-killers up to hard counters for esi, ysi/zsi for unreliable/reliable trapping) This is just for reference, by the way; it definitely isn't flawless when I haven't looked it over since I wrote it, and besides, super specific categories probably aren't necessary because it'll be a person going through the list instead of a bot with a set formula. There isn't really a one category system fits all thing anyways, since you wouldn't teambuild around Snivy and Foongus the same way.

However, I do feel that a few more categories would help to take into account, say, whether they're a guaranteed switch-in once or twice or indefinitely, or even how reliable they are at revenge-killing, because this would significantly affect teambuilding; for example, would you really want a team of Croagunk / Pawniard / Archen / Chinchou / Staryu / Diglett (don't hold me accountable for that team, it's just off the top of my head) with Croagunk as your sole check to Timburr, even though Croagunk is a guaranteed switch-in from full health? Surely Croagunk wouldn't be worth as much as Snubbull in this case.
Another suggestion is that you could have multiple sections for Pokemon that have sets with really different checks, like Drifloon and Carvanha.

(For the record, I never said the old thread was shit. I do think that revamping it is a good idea because this is a pretty helpful resource.)

Last edited:
Ooh, nice thread. Hopefully this doesn't die out like the last one.

I'm assuming Diglett only has NSI and no GSI/SSI because of Arena Trap? Cos' if so, I think you're missing out on a lot of NSI for Diglett- mainly Staryu, Slowpoke (Sucker Punch only does 37 - 48.1%), Lileep, Cottonee, maybe Deerling, Pumkaboo, and probably a few others. Diglett is a weird one to do for this sort of thing though, Arena Trap really changes things :/

Other changes I think:
  • Onix to SSI for Porygon, since Tri Attack breaks sturdy and Ice Beam then takes it out. Basically the same reasons why Timburr and Foo are in SSI.
  • Pawniard in SSI for Porygon, since Pory often doesn't carry T-bolt. Pawn doesn't really like being T-waved though, so maybe NSI would be better.
  • Koffing in GSI for Mienfoo, since it takes any of it's hits and can burn it. (If lickitung is on there, Koffing can be too...)
  • Koffing in NSI for Pawn, same reasons as Foo, but it doesn't like taking Pawns attacks as well as Foos'
I'm sure I'll think of something else later, but night now I'm in a hurry :]

How is Onix a GSI to Porygon if Ice Beam and HP Fight KO at +1? Defensive Porygon kills with Tri Attack / Psychic + Ice Beam. It can't really do anything back except Taunt it unless it gets lucky with Rock Blast.

Also, what can Porygon do against Scraggy besides paralyze it? +1 Tri Attack doesn't 2HKO at +1 factoring in Drain Punch. Also, Shed Skin. Scarf 236 Attack Scraggy has a 75% chance of OHKOing with HJK.

Ferroseed and Magnemite also don't beat Porygon because they get 1shot by +1 HP Fire. Ferroseed also just loses to getting chipped by +1 Ice Beam, I'm pretty sure, unless it paraflinches.

Vulpix doesn't beat Mienfoo even if it gets in unscathed.

0 Atk Mienfoo High Jump Kick vs. 52 HP / 0 Def Vulpix: 21-25 (100 - 119%) -- guaranteed OHKO
(21, 21, 21, 21, 22, 22, 22, 22, 22, 22, 24, 24, 24, 24, 24, 25)

196 SpA Life Orb Vulpix Fire Blast vs. 0 HP / 36 SpD Eviolite Mienfoo in Sun: 19-23 (90.4 - 109.5%) -- 56.3% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock
(19, 19, 19, 19, 19, 19, 19, 21, 21, 21, 21, 21, 21, 21, 21, 23)

Also, Life Orb Knock Off + Iron Head vs Hippopotas almost always kills it.

236 Atk Life Orb Pawniard Knock Off (97.5 BP) vs. 132 HP / 132 Def Eviolite Hippopotas: 9-13 (36 - 52%) -- 87.9% chance to 2HKO after Stealth Rock
(9, 12, 12, 12, 12, 12, 12, 12, 12, 12, 12, 12, 12, 12, 12, 13)

236 Atk Life Orb Pawniard Iron Head vs. 132 HP / 132 Def Hippopotas: 13-17 (52 - 68%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock
(13, 13, 13, 13, 16, 16, 16, 16, 16, 16, 16, 16, 16, 16, 16, 17)

Hippopotas has 25 HP so it dies unless the Knock Off does 9.

Shellos also loses to LO Pawniard.

236 Atk Life Orb Pawniard Knock Off (97.5 BP) vs. 228 HP / 132+ Def Eviolite Shellos: 12-16 (44.4 - 59.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock
(12, 12, 12, 13, 13, 13, 13, 13, 13, 13, 13, 13, 13, 13, 13, 16)

It also loses to Eviolite Pawniard if it has Swords Dance, as Earth Power is only a 2HKO.

Last edited:
This is going to be a really useful tool. I've always had trouble building for ORAS because I don't know the metagame very well, but with this it'll make things much more easier and I'll be able to learn quicker. I commend you on your willingness to revamp this and good luck! :]

What a marvelous thread.
(Nineage let me know asap if you'd like any of this removed, I don't remember anything about having to keep it on the low atm) Nineage has been working on a bot recently which takes an importable and gives you its weaknesses to major threats. He originally used the gsi-ssi-nsi system, but after we discussed it a bit, we agreed the system wasn't great for giving good rates and I offered to write a more in-depth version for mons up to B+. (asi for revenge-killers up to hard counters for esi, ysi/zsi for unreliable/reliable trapping) This is just for reference, by the way; it definitely isn't flawless when I haven't looked it over since I wrote it, and besides, super specific categories probably aren't necessary because it'll be a person going through the list instead of a bot with a set formula. There isn't really a one category system fits all thing anyways, since you wouldn't teambuild around Snivy and Foongus the same way.

However, I do feel that a few more categories would help to take into account, say, whether they're a guaranteed switch-in once or twice or indefinitely, or even how reliable they are at revenge-killing, because this would significantly affect teambuilding; for example, would you really want a team of Croagunk / Pawniard / Archen / Chinchou / Staryu / Diglett (don't hold me accountable for that team, it's just off the top of my head) with Croagunk as your sole check to Timburr, even though Croagunk is a guaranteed switch-in from full health? Surely Croagunk wouldn't be worth as much as Snubbull in this case.
Another suggestion is that you could have multiple sections for Pokemon that have sets with really different checks, like Drifloon and Carvanha.

(For the record, I never said the old thread was shit. I do think that revamping it is a good idea because this is a pretty helpful resource.)
This is a really great idea, I'll definitely look into it. Tagging Nineage as well; the grunt work for this thread is through the roof, I must've spent a good ten hours just getting the GSI/SSI/NSI copied over from last thread and formatting this new one and whatnot. I think we might be able to set up a simple enough program that could run the calcs and output a text file, which would make this a whole lot easier. I'm also planning on adding Pokemon to which the given Pokemon is a GSI/SSI/NSI (as well as ASI+), but that requires a lot of cross-referencing and I'm bound to make some mistakes. Another thing I've been considering is also using the different analysis sets to separate the switchins for Pokemon, like how a lot of Pokemon can live a hit from Focus Sash Abra, but not Life Orb. Nine, if you could write me up some programs to do this automatically, I would love that, because not only do I feel it would be far more objective, but also because it would save a lot of time and energy for everything involved. Plus, I would love you forever (not that I don't already). I've got like $5 left on a disposable credit card if you want compensation (lol). I'd love to talk more about this (Levi also just showed me a version of the program, and I love it!). Tell me when you're online so we can talk about this more, alright?
Ooh, nice thread. Hopefully this doesn't die out like the last one.

I'm assuming Diglett only has NSI and no GSI/SSI because of Arena Trap? Cos' if so, I think you're missing out on a lot of NSI for Diglett- mainly Staryu, Slowpoke (Sucker Punch only does 37 - 48.1%), Lileep, Cottonee, maybe Deerling, Pumkaboo, and probably a few others. Diglett is a weird one to do for this sort of thing though, Arena Trap really changes things :/

Other changes I think:
  • Onix to SSI for Porygon, since Tri Attack breaks sturdy and Ice Beam then takes it out. Basically the same reasons why Timburr and Foo are in SSI.
  • Pawniard in SSI for Porygon, since Pory often doesn't carry T-bolt. Pawn doesn't really like being T-waved though, so maybe NSI would be better.
  • Koffing in GSI for Mienfoo, since it takes any of it's hits and can burn it. (If lickitung is on there, Koffing can be too...)
  • Koffing in NSI for Pawn, same reasons as Foo, but it doesn't like taking Pawns attacks as well as Foos'
I'm sure I'll think of something else later, but night now I'm in a hurry :]
Thanks for the suggestions! Yeah, basically what I did was transpose the old thread, update it with some new graphics, and I'm going to be adding a lot of new features in the future! I'll probably change this to reflect your suggestions if nobody minds. I really appreciate it! :D
How is Onix a GSI to Porygon if Ice Beam and HP Fight KO at +1? Defensive Porygon kills with Tri Attack / Psychic + Ice Beam. It can't really do anything back except Taunt it unless it gets lucky with Rock Blast.

Also, what can Porygon do against Scraggy besides paralyze it? +1 Tri Attack doesn't 2HKO at +1 factoring in Drain Punch. Also, Shed Skin. Scarf 236 Attack Scraggy has a 75% chance of OHKOing with HJK.

Ferroseed and Magnemite also don't beat Porygon because they get 1shot by +1 HP Fire. Ferroseed also just loses to getting chipped by +1 Ice Beam, I'm pretty sure, unless it paraflinches.

Vulpix doesn't beat Mienfoo even if it gets in unscathed.

0 Atk Mienfoo High Jump Kick vs. 52 HP / 0 Def Vulpix: 21-25 (100 - 119%) -- guaranteed OHKO
(21, 21, 21, 21, 22, 22, 22, 22, 22, 22, 24, 24, 24, 24, 24, 25)

196 SpA Life Orb Vulpix Fire Blast vs. 0 HP / 36 SpD Eviolite Mienfoo in Sun: 19-23 (90.4 - 109.5%) -- 56.3% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock
(19, 19, 19, 19, 19, 19, 19, 21, 21, 21, 21, 21, 21, 21, 21, 23)

Also, Life Orb Knock Off + Iron Head vs Hippopotas almost always kills it.

236 Atk Life Orb Pawniard Knock Off (97.5 BP) vs. 132 HP / 132 Def Eviolite Hippopotas: 9-13 (36 - 52%) -- 87.9% chance to 2HKO after Stealth Rock
(9, 12, 12, 12, 12, 12, 12, 12, 12, 12, 12, 12, 12, 12, 12, 13)

236 Atk Life Orb Pawniard Iron Head vs. 132 HP / 132 Def Hippopotas: 13-17 (52 - 68%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock
(13, 13, 13, 13, 16, 16, 16, 16, 16, 16, 16, 16, 16, 16, 16, 17)

Hippopotas has 25 HP so it dies unless the Knock Off does 9.

Shellos also loses to LO Pawniard.

236 Atk Life Orb Pawniard Knock Off (97.5 BP) vs. 228 HP / 132+ Def Eviolite Shellos: 12-16 (44.4 - 59.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock
(12, 12, 12, 13, 13, 13, 13, 13, 13, 13, 13, 13, 13, 13, 13, 16)

It also loses to Eviolite Pawniard if it has Swords Dance, as Earth Power is only a 2HKO.
Thanks for the suggestions! I'm just not sure how common Life Orb Pawniard is, so I'm not sure if Shellos should really be discounted as a GSI. The rest of your suggestions look good, and I'll implement them in the near future! Thanks for the contributions, I really appreciate them! :D
This is going to be a really useful tool. I've always had trouble building for ORAS because I don't know the metagame very well, but with this it'll make things much more easier and I'll be able to learn quicker. I commend you on your willingness to revamp this and good luck! :]
Thanks for the kind words! I'm glad you're enjoying it! :D

Merritt

no comment
is a Tournament Directoris a Site Content Manageris a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Top Dedicated Tournament Host
Head TD
Onix as a Porygon GSI is wrong, since Ice Beam is one of the more common coverage moves on it, as is Psychic.

0 SpA Porygon Psychic vs. 76 HP / 0 SpD Onix: 9-11 (42.8 - 52.3%) -- 7.4% chance to 2HKO
(9, 9, 9, 9, 9, 9, 10, 10, 10, 10, 10, 10, 10, 10, 10, 11)

This very rarely activates Berry Juice from full, and requires rocks to have a >50% chance to activate Berry Juice. If it does not activate Berry Juice on switching in then a follow up Ice Beam will kill.

0 SpA Porygon Ice Beam vs. 76 HP / 0 SpD Onix: 18-22 (85.7 - 104.7%) -- 62.5% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock
(18, 18, 18, 18, 18, 18, 20, 20, 20, 20, 20, 20, 20, 20, 20, 22)

If Stealth Rock is up then Porygon has a >50% chance to KO Onix from full-SR damage. It's not a GSI.

SSI/NSI: If it switches in on Ice Beam, for example, then it goes back to full due to Berry Juice. Now Porygon can 2HKO freely (incidentally this situation is true even if Porygon doesn't activate Onix's Berry Juice on switching in, although somewhat situational since if rocks are up it's a 62.5% chance to KO with Ice Beam or a 6.25% chance to activate Berry Juice with Psychic if rocks aren't up). Onix has 2 turns to get rid of Porygon before it falls.

236 Atk Onix Rock Blast (3 hits) vs. 236 HP / 196 Def Eviolite Porygon: 9-12 (34.6 - 46.1%) -- approx. 0.4% chance to 2HKO after Stealth Rock
(3, 3, 3, 3, 3, 3, 3, 3, 3, 3, 3, 3, 3, 3, 3, 4)

236 Atk Onix Earthquake vs. 236 HP / 196 Def Eviolite Porygon: 7-9 (26.9 - 34.6%) -- 17.6% chance to 3HKO after Stealth Rock
(7, 7, 7, 7, 7, 7, 7, 7, 7, 7, 7, 7, 7, 7, 7, 9)

Note that the Rock Blasts are almost always 3 damage hits, so even with two 4 hitters you're not 100% going to KO Porygon. In addition Porygon forces Onix into a additional almost required prediction due to Recover. If Porygon recovers and Onix has not taunted, then Porygon is almost certain to win, if Onix taunts and Porygon attacks then Porygon will almost 100% win, if Onix taunts and Porygon attempts to recover then the Porygon user has lost nothing but an essentially dead turn.

Due to Onix being heavily reliant on RNG even when given a free switch into Porygon to beat it (it has a less than 50% chance to win against a Porygon that carries Ice Beam - which is a lot of them) I propose that it be removed entirely. Onix can beat Tri Attack/Psychic Porygon and Offensive Porygon not carrying HP Fire if given a free switch, but it loses to a fairly common set so it really shouldn't be on here. At best make it a NSI, it's absolutely not GSI.

sam-testings

What a beautiful face, I have found in this place
Just a couple of things

Diglett: Add Shellder to NSI

Mienfoo: Add Drifloon somewhere. Not sure where exactly but it should be in there

Pawn: Move Houndour to NSI. Knock off + Sucker Punch kills it, and it can only come in like once.

Abra: 240 SpA Life Orb Abra Hidden Power Fighting vs. 84 HP / 148+ SpD Eviolite Ferroseed: 10-13 (45.4 - 59%) -- 12.1% chance to 2HKO
Guaranteed after a spike, and Ferro is easily whittled down.
Also change Pumpkaboo to SSI, it takes so much damage from Shadow ball which is becoming a lot more relevant these days.

Fletchling: Oma to GSI. Who the hell runs the berry grass move thing these days

Gastly: I already showed you this infamy, but ferroseed should move to SSI

Added sprites to A+ Rank!

Also, I'm aware that I'm not updating this thread frequently. The reason for this is that I've decided to learn Python so that I can set up a program that will generate a more objective checks compendium. I'll also hopefully be able to use this to automate the very boring stuff (it is absolutely mind-numbing to put these lists together).

Hopefully I'll have the program up-and-running soon! At that point I'll update the thread with your suggestions, but I'm holding off on that for now because I want to see what the program thinks. I also don't think it would be a great idea to bother adding all of your suggestions right before I changed the way things are defined in this thread.

I spoke with Levi about the check rankings, and this is what he's suggested:

* ASI:
* Reliable revenge-killers
* BSI:
* Soft checks
* CSI:
* Hard checks
* DSI:
* Counters
* ESI:
* Hard counters
* YSI:
* Trappers
* ZSI:
* Reliable trappers

A couple things I'm not sure about, and I'd like your input on:

* How should the boundaries between various types of checks be defined?
* Should I include all of the analysis sets as separate items on the list, or should I condense all of a Pokemon's sets into one entry?
* What do you think about the above check tiers? Are they sufficient or insufficient? Am I going about this the wrong way?
* What do you think of this project as a whole? Do you have any ideas for how it could be improved?​

Thanks, friends! I appreciate the feedback :)

Edit the first: Fiend, on my newfound ability to make quality posts:
[8:42:39 PM] Fiend: infamy i want to support you
[8:42:48 PM] Fiend: but idc about checks much
[8:42:51 PM] Fiend: :/

Edit the second: So I chatted a little bit with Sam-testings and Berks, and they both said that the names for the check-tiers didn't make a lot of sense, so I set up a new system that they both liked more. Here it is:

Revenge killer:
ASI --> RVK
Soft check:
BSI --> SCK
Hard check:
CSI --> HCK
Soft counter:
DSI --> SCT
Hard counter:
ESI --> HCT
Unreliable trapper:
YSI --> URT
Reliable trapper:
ZSI --> RLT

Does anyone have any issues with this system? If not, I'm going to use this instead of Levi's abbreviations. It makes more sense to me.

Edit the third: I've realized that alphabetically listing the Pokemon within their viability rankings doesn't make a whole lot of sense. I'm thinking that I'll switch over to sorting the Pokemon by usage within their rankings. Basically, all the S Ranks will still be grouped together, but it'll go "Mienfoo, Pawniard, Porygon, Diglett" instead of "Diglett, Mienfoo, Pawniard, Porygon." Any thoughts on this?

Last edited:
I'm thinking that I'll switch over to sorting the Pokemon by usage within their rankings.
Good idea.

Stunky can't touch Recycle / Substitute / WoW Drifloon and I'm pretty sure Knock Off Drifloon beats it as well, as it can just spam WoW and Recycle so Sucker Punch can't work and 40 bp Pursuit off of a burned Stunky does nothing. Sub

Why is Ferroseed a SSI to Fletchling? Fletchling doesn't care about Knock Off, Thunder Wave, or Bullet Seed. If it switches in on Acro, Swords Dance + Acro kills before Iron Head 2shots. If it switches in on Swords Dance, two Acros kills before Iron Head 2shots.

Why is Onix a GSI for Fletchling but Tirtouga is only a SSI? Onix loses to HP Grass + SR every time. Tirtouga doesn't give a fuck.

40 SpA Fletchling Hidden Power Grass vs. 4 HP / 76 SpD Eviolite Solid Rock Tirtouga: 9-12 (40.9 - 54.5%) -- 12.1% chance to 2HKO after Stealth Rock
(9, 9, 9, 9, 9, 9, 9, 9, 9, 9, 9, 9, 9, 9, 9, 12)

At least Solid Rock Tirtouga doesn't.

How is Fletchling a NSI to itself? It's a speed tie. I don't really understand how anything listing itself as a counter works, but I can see it with stuff like AcroFoo, Brick Break Pawniard, and Scarf / Sucker Punch Gastly (which should be up there probably). But Fletchling doesn't have any of that. If it switches in on Swords Dance or Acrobatics or Overheat, it loses. If it switches in on Roost or HP Grass, it's a speed tie.

Taillow should be a SSI to Gastly, not a NSI. It has a Shadow Ball immunity and Boomburst goes through Substitute.

Trubbish vs Timburr should be in favor of Timburr. It just gets to +6/+6 while Trubbish does nothing with Gunk Shot (and runs out of PP).

+4 116 Atk Timburr Knock Off (97.5 BP) vs. 116 HP / 100 Def Trubbish: 23-28 (100 - 121.7%) -- guaranteed OHKO
(23, 24, 24, 24, 24, 25, 25, 25, 26, 26, 26, 26, 27, 27, 27, 28)

Also Gunk Shot has a 20% chance of missing AND a 24% chance to poison Timburr, haha.

Update!

I'm sorry about not updating this thread- I wish I had a good excuse, but honestly I just forgot about it.

Anyway, now that I've remembered this, I've gotten back into writing the program to automate checks compendium generation.

There are a few fundamental rules I need to set up for the compendium generator. Most of these are simple (if tedious!), like type weaknesses and resistances, but there's one thing I want to talk about right now:

HOW ARE CHECKS OBJECTIVELY CATEGORIZED?

First, I need to figure out the categories of checks. I think what I'll be using will be a slightly modified version of the categories listed above. I've decided to remove a couple categories at the advice of my friend and fellow LCPL champion Corporal Levi and I've shortened the acronyms, so here's what it looks like now:

Revenge killer: RK

Trapper: TR

Soft check: SC

Hard check: HC

Counter: CT

Now, I need to figure out what those mean. How does one distinguish a counter from a hard check? Well, it's fairly clear that there is a fundamental difference between how trappers and revenge killers work and how soft and hard checks and counters work. Their purposes are entirely different. So, let's arrange this hierarchically:

* Trappers > Revenge killers
* Counters > Hard checks > Soft checks

As you can see here, the things that are most valued in a check, regardless of the focus (revenge-focused or defense-focused), is reliability. Trappers are more reliable at revenging a Pokemon than revenge killers by quality of, usually, the opposing Pokemon can't switch out. Counters are more reliable than hard checks because counters work more often than hard checks (and the same goes for soft checks).

Let's think about these things objectively. How can I get the program to objectively differentiate between the types of checks? Well, I've made a pretty little flowchart to show how this will be done:

Basically, the thing all types of checks have in common, the paradigm for a check, is they KO the checked Pokemon before the checked Pokemon KOes them. Well, what makes a trapper a trapper? It traps things. For the sake of simplicity. let's just say that trappers have trapping abilities (Magnet Pull, Arena Trap, Shadow Tag). Well, if it's not a trapper, can it switch into any attack repeatedly? If so, it's a counter. If it can only do that once, it's a hard check. If it can only switch into some attacks, it's a soft check. If it can't do any of those things but still fits into the check paradigm, then it is a revenge killer by default.

I hope you found this interesting, and don't worry, I'll probably get around to actually coding the thing soon(TM).

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)