SPOILERS! Legends: Arceus Playthrough Discussion

Every step in this game I am constantly stepping on rakes. I've been slowly goign through and getting the dex entries, down to the last 31, and i see that Magby & Elekid are, of course, rare encounters and do, of course, require more captures.
If I were to do this game again I would have a giant sticky note that is just: GIVE BERRIES TO EVERY SINGLE BABY YOU SEE
Respectfully, this is a weird gripe.

Magby and Elekid are uncommon compared to their evolutions, but they still appear regularly in exactly the places where those evolutions will try to zap you. Likewise, Elekid is a guaranteed spawn in the Icebound Falls area. They should not be hard to find.

Furthermore... yeah, you toss them berries. I understand the impulse to catch the first Munchlax you see instead of leading it around with 20 berries for dex completion, having made the same mistake myself at first contact, but open-wide-here-comes-the-plane is a pretty consistent pattern. It's never "Punt Happiny with a Fighting-type move 1/3/5/7/10." It's always "Render unto Pichu as thou didst unto Mime Jr."

Since a living dex is just...so up to RNG as it is, since I need 1 rowlet, 2 oshawott, 1 cranidos & a cherubi as it is I can just give up THAT nonsense and jsut evolve the pari but that STILL requires 25 uses of their respective moves. It's so awful. I'll just shove them towards the end of this endeavor, i plan to spend some extra time in the icelands so we'll see how the oshawotts and elekids pan out.
I... do not understand this comment. What takes 25 uses of a move? Unless you're talking about 100% maxed out research for every Pokémon in the dex, which is a fool's errand that demands far more than Leafage x25, most entries can be filled (Lv. 10) in only 3 moves. For example, Samurott gives 2 levels just for obtaining it and 8 more levels for using Strong-style Ceaseless Edge three times. It can be completed in one swoop by aggroing a trio of Geodude. Obtaining one of each stage in the family for a living dex takes some spacetime distortion voodoo, but that is just a matter of chucking a ball at the right place and the right time. Neither of these goals involves the tedium of spamming a move 25 times. What exactly is so awful?

I... do not understand this comment. What takes 25 uses of a move? Unless you're talking about 100% maxed out research for every Pokémon in the dex, which is a fool's errand that demands far more than Leafage x25, most entries can be filled (Lv. 10) in only 3 moves. For example, Samurott gives 2 levels just for obtaining it and 8 more levels for using Strong-style Ceaseless Edge three times. It can be completed in one swoop by aggroing a trio of Geodude. Obtaining one of each stage in the family for a living dex takes some spacetime distortion voodoo, but that is just a matter of chucking a ball at the right place and the right time. Neither of these goals involves the tedium of spamming a move 25 times. What exactly is so awful?
I think they missed a word and are referring to evolving Qwilfish and Stantler

Respectfully, this is a weird gripe.

Magby and Elekid are uncommon compared to their evolutions, but they still appear regularly in exactly the places where those evolutions will try to zap you. Likewise, Elekid is a guaranteed spawn in the Icebound Falls area. They should not be hard to find.

Furthermore... yeah, you toss them berries. I understand the impulse to catch the first Munchlax you see instead of leading it around with 20 berries for dex completion, having made the same mistake myself at first contact, but open-wide-here-comes-the-plane is a pretty consistent pattern. It's never "Punt Happiny with a Fighting-type move 1/3/5/7/10." It's always "Render unto Pichu as thou didst unto Mime Jr."
OK in order
1. Magby is a 4-6% spawn and requires time to either clear out the spawns or wait them out by cycling through rest camps, which invovles a lot of little time sinks (warping back to the camp, resting, warp back to the volcano, fly around [possibly rekill/catch everyone], repeat as needed). This becomes just very tedious and hey!
guess what! When I was doing this for the trio of Happiny, Munchlax & Pichu I saw in order about 2, 2, and 1 over hte period of about 3 hours across 2 days and as many different areas. It sucked shit. I have still not seen another Pichu outside of the extremely lucky swarm despite constantly going back to those areas for other, non-baby related purposes. It's insane.
2. At the time of writing this I was not aware Elekid had the guaranteed spawns. I found that out on my own when I went back to the icelands. Because you see following the pattern implied by Happiny, Pichu, Munchlax & Magby, I had made the assumption that it, too, would be similar. Mercifully no it was like Riolu with its guaranteed spawns (& maybe more akin to cleffa, who was a lovely baby with a gimmick that its entire line shows up in one area at night farily common).
3. And yeah the berry thing is a pattern. That's why I made a joke about putting u pthe sticky note. Unfortunately it was a pattern that I did not notice until having to clear out the dex so when I'm going through the game the first time and not looking up things ahead of time I'm not thinking the babies are meant to be rare spawns (i was theorizing weather-based spawns or they were inconsistently uncommon) nor was I looking up their stuff before capturing them the first time.

Here is how Magby's Research Level 10 maths out if yo uhave exactly one of them

Number caught 1 = 2 points
Mine was lucky, i got it without being spotted, so we're up to 3 points
I didnt get it while it was sleeping and I gave it no food (granted in retrospect this would've been difficult anyway, the volcano is very cramped and it spawned around all thsoe other magmar, but whatever), so those won't give any points

So if I want Level 10 the only thing I can do if I don't (or can't, because the RNG is not being kind) catch more is spam flame wheel 25 times. AND THEN evolve it. And had I not managed to get that first one unnoticed I'd have no choice, I would have to just keep doing the reset loops again and again until one spawned.

For most pokemon this isn't necessarily an issue, though it sure comes close at times. Spreading the tasks around

Much mercy upon me, however, the trade exploit was a thing I could do so once my pal & I managed to align our watches and swap magby back & forth a number of times I was saved from either tediously hunting for another one or tediously grinding out flame wheels.
(Incidentally Magby doesn't seem to show up in rifts at all, I was disappointed, I saw so many magmars and even a magmortar.)

Anyway all that grousing aside I put the nose to the grindstone and finished everything out today. The exact details of the rifts (their times, the chances of things happening, what pauses the timer, what resets them, the exact spawns to expect and where) meant I could wait things out and got lucky in the spawns (my FIFTH rift finalyl had another cranidos, good lord) so I completed the living dex too. I even found a Cherubi on mt coronet, something that is apparently much more common there but just...never had the right trees shaking, apparently. Or bad rolls on who would show up....RNG is the real name of this game. I'm very happy with that, I was willing to just write the whole thing off because rifts felt so RNG based (honestly they still kind of are, Coronet & the Mirelands are very stuffed with Exclusive Pokemon and Cherubi just never wanted to spawn, but everything aligned. Happy end!

Anyway all that grousing aside I put the nose to the grindstone and finished everything out today.
Ayyy, congratulations. I can't argue against success.

I don't suppose it's any help now, but Pichu is a rare spawn at a puddle in the far northeast corner of Nature's Pantry. It's easily missed because it can blend in with the four Kricketot who are usually there, but it's conveniently just downhill from the base camp. I think it can also appear beside the alpha Raichu in Golden Lowlands, but I have not seen this myself.

I'll grant Munchlax is a pain though. I've Lv. 10-ed all of the prevos (bar one), and Munchlax is the one I was dreading. It appears roughly in "that huge area with the Geodude," and there's no good landmarks or Snorlax spawns to use for reference. I was lucky enough to spot my second Munchlax on the same outing as my second Pichu. For a long time I suspected it would be faithful to those infamous DP honey trees, and thank God I was proven wrong.

As for myself, I'm down to my last 30... mainly stuck on items like Uxie (boring), Shieldon (demonic), and Lilligant (noble battles don't count ugghh).

The one mystery is the prevo I mentioned. What did you think of Bonsly? Any inkling how to feed it? Is it required to break an ore, run from the battle, and dive for the bushes? Or can it only be done in a mass outbreak? Its tasks are bizarre for what I know of its spawn pattern, and I don't see an intuitive way to deal with it other than keep breaking ores.

Ayyy, congratulations. I can't argue against success.

I don't suppose it's any help now, but Pichu is a rare spawn at a puddle in the far northeast corner of Nature's Pantry. It's easily missed because it can blend in with the four Kricketot who are usually there, but it's conveniently just downhill from the base camp. I think it can also appear beside the alpha Raichu in Golden Lowlands, but I have not seen this myself.
From research Pichu can spawn in place of Pikachu alongside the kricketots (I never saw one, but someone pointed it out and it was a straight shot to look for happinys atop the tunnel), and the little forest path near by.
More relevantly, if you're JUST searching for Pichus, is Floaro Meadow. It can summon in place of the wurmples either in the strip leading to the flower field or the trees just before you go to the snorlax.
I'll grant Munchlax is a pain though. I've Lv. 10-ed all of the prevos (bar one), and Munchlax is the one I was dreading. It appears roughly in "that huge area with the Geodude," and there's no good landmarks or Snorlax spawns to use for reference. I was lucky enough to spot my second Munchlax on the same outing as my second Pichu. For a long time I suspected it would be faithful to those infamous DP honey trees, and thank God I was proven wrong.
Yeah I had to look that one up. I really expected to have to use the Hot Springs for this instead but no just...found one, and hten, randomly, found another later. Typical.
As for myself, I'm down to my last 30... mainly stuck on items like Uxie (boring), Shieldon (demonic), and Lilligant (noble battles don't count ugghh).

The one mystery is the prevo I mentioned. What did you think of Bonsly? Any inkling how to feed it? Is it required to break an ore, run from the battle, and dive for the bushes? Or can it only be done in a mass outbreak? Its tasks are bizarre for what I know of its spawn pattern, and I don't see an intuitive way to deal with it other than keep breaking ores.
So, if you're referencing Serebii, the important thing here is something is just wrong or missing with his data. There are frequently spots where I have, definitively, ran into Pokemon that are just not listed there.

Bonsly is one of those. Go to the Cloudpool ridge in the mirelands. If you look on serebii it's just listed as a Swarm, but rest assured it's not. It also doesn't seem to be super rare. Just sort of hover around until you spot Sudowoodo and Bonsly hangs out around there. It's not a permanent one but just casually searching on like four trips to the ridge I found Bonsly in 3 of them, and later on when i was doing clean up i found another 2 on two separate trips. There were eefinitely more trips where it was just sudowoodos, but this is definitely not a situation like Pichu, Munchlax or Happiny (by the way if you still dont have happiny, i suggest the secret shore. it's a slightly smaller treck from the camp, there's far less things that spawn there and spheals are easier to clear out if you're into that method of spawn camping and if you can get a Drought it skyrockets up to 15 or so%).
Either that or I was just insanely lucky, I guess. But I found it a lot more consistant than hoping for shaking ore at the celestica ruins thats for sure.

Flying in particular is very fun, but so is rock climbing
Very surprised by this tbh haha. On the whole I'm probably a lot more positive about the game than you but Sneasler rock-climbing felt awful to me. Practically every hillside has little alcoves and barely visible flat bits where Sneasler pauses to hoist itself up, and then sometimes when you approach the wall to continue the ascent it doesn't register that you're trying to climb up and you just run into the wall for a couple of seconds before it finally clicks.

Navigating a rift on Wyrdeer to pick up rare items is a fun and satisfying little exercise as long as you're not in an area with a bunch of climbable objects, because you will accidentally hop on to a tree or pillar with Sneasler instead of picking up that Comet Shard. If you're a bit slow and inattentive like me you'll take several moments to register that you're not moving and the item's still on the ground, during which time you'll probably get Hyper Beamed by an Octillery.

I liked all the other nobles though!

Sidenote: has anyone 100%ed all the balloon quests? The first couple were easy enough but I noped out of the Alabaster Icelands one after attempt #2 because it seemed to require an absurd amount of ride Pokemon precision and course memorisation (and by that point I knew I probably wouldn't be getting anything special for popping every balloon).

Very surprised by this tbh haha. On the whole I'm probably a lot more positive about the game than you but Sneasler rock-climbing felt awful to me. Practically every hillside has little alcoves and barely visible flat bits where Sneasler pauses to hoist itself up, and then sometimes when you approach the wall to continue the ascent it doesn't register that you're trying to climb up and you just run into the wall for a couple of seconds before it finally clicks.

Navigating a rift on Wyrdeer to pick up rare items is a fun and satisfying little exercise as long as you're not in an area with a bunch of climbable objects, because you will accidentally hop on to a tree or pillar with Sneasler instead of picking up that Comet Shard. If you're a bit slow and inattentive like me you'll take several moments to register that you're not moving and the item's still on the ground, during which time you'll probably get Hyper Beamed by an Octillery.
Alright fun with an asterisk because I definitely noticed and got annoyed by those, but when it WASNT happening it was very smooth, and I especially liked the more casual, understated thing of wandering around as sneasler: slopes in general it can just walk up & down without any real issue. If you switch to one it usually wants you to climb onto it the wall but that's needless because you can really walk all over terrain until it becomes a sharp incline. It's nice and helps, alongside the slightly improved walking speed, increase the pace.
I liked all the other nobles though!

Sidenote: has anyone 100%ed all the balloon quests? The first couple were easy enough but I noped out of the Alabaster Icelands one after attempt #2 because it seemed to require an absurd amount of ride Pokemonn precision and course memorisation.
Honestly I didn't like the balloon games at all and was very scared there was going to be a second set of quests that was just "okay but now perfect it". Alabaster in particular I had to do three times before even getting the bare minimum to complete the quest; i kept getting lost after avalugg's legacy (assuming I made it there; let's just say attempt one was a disaster).

looking up a video of the full course it still feels like a nightmare. Braviary in particular is the real killer, the exact positioning...look how they almost miss some of those balloons!

Now that i'm done with the plot stuff, this is extremely dumb and lazy me asking: is there any place where someone compiled the "solutions" to all sidequests?
I'm a bit too old to enjoy solving riddles, figuring what pokemon to bring with the description "it has 2 leaves", or riding Ursaluna looking for someone with the only hint being "it's in this giant open world section, have fun" while also having to avoid a bunch of angry pokemon trying to murder me.

Now that i'm done with the plot stuff, this is extremely dumb and lazy me asking: is there any place where someone compiled the "solutions" to all sidequests?
I'm a bit too old to enjoy solving riddles, figuring what pokemon to bring with the description "it has 2 leaves", or riding Ursaluna looking for someone with the only hint being "it's in this giant open world section, have fun" while also having to avoid a bunch of angry pokemon trying to murder me.
serebii has every quest and its solution

Not sure if this applies to every Pokemon, but this is a new mechanic for me.
It probably COULD work with any pokemon (you just need to have a certain amount of elevation) but I think Bibarel might be uniquely suited to this:
-it goes into the water sintead of floating on it, giving it a lower threshold to climb
-because it's a beaver, this means when its in the water it provides a relatively flat, slightly long foothold
-most notably, it's one of the only pokemon with a flat tail, that would float in the water
-it's a thicker pokemon with a wider hitbox

So you'd probably be hardpressed to do this with, say, a magikarp (very thin) or remoraid (thin AND small), and even a thicker pokemon like qwilfish would proabbly have difficulties because the tail probably has different geometry

Ended up finding 2 max odds shinies last night; a wurmple and a Kadabra! I've already beaten the main scenario so now im roaming around getting stuff done to get to the post game. I dont know about anyone else but my main squad is MASSIVELY overleveled, which is a bit of a shame since I know what the end game content is, and I dont think even they are ready for a level 90 Decidueye and their high level 80 friends to come ripping through everything.

On the plus side ive had SO MUCH FUN with this game, between exploring to shiny hunting to even completing research tasks and sidequests.If this game got DLC it'd probably be the end of me and my ADHD self.

Ended up finding 2 max odds shinies last night; a wurmple and a Kadabra! I've already beaten the main scenario so now im roaming around getting stuff done to get to the post game. I dont know about anyone else but my main squad is MASSIVELY overleveled, which is a bit of a shame since I know what the end game content is, and I dont think even they are ready for a level 90 Decidueye and their high level 80 friends to come ripping through everything.

On the plus side ive had SO MUCH FUN with this game, between exploring to shiny hunting to even completing research tasks and sidequests.If this game got DLC it'd probably be the end of me and my ADHD self.
Yeah I didnt even have a single pokemon in ther 80s much less 90s

I know someone who has pokedex level 7 before Kleavor.

Some people just hate fun ok :zonger:
I follow someone on Tumblr who found all 900 Korok Seeds in Breath of The Wild before her first Divine Beast. I don't use inventory mods in Elder Scrolls games because sorting my items in those games makes the dopamine receptors of my brain ping. People's way of engaging with content is endlessly varied, and not always in logical ways.

i have been taking it slow (game comes natural being stealthy in other games and obv being a pokemon head) but focusing on completing quest as i go thru the missions even if everyone blasts past me i told them "NO SPOILERS!" lmao - i recently got ride Sneasler and im holding back time for a alpha Gligar/Gliscor (i may not know just naturally exists atm).

That said I do feel *AS MUCH AS (alolan) DECUIDEYE IS MY FAV STARTER FINAL EVO* im almost looking thru to my next play with cyndaquil more than finishing my current (first) rowlet run?
im a lil conflicted atm. esp now i know the level scaling better and dont mistakenly OVER LEVEL.

Being into the speedrunscene (a bit), I ran into this

I'm honestly surprised of how difficult the game is to "break", even the handful glitches that there are (that also allow out of bound) have absolutely no use because the game cannot be sequence broken.

Being into the speedrunscene (a bit), I ran into this

I'm honestly surprised of how difficult the game is to "break", even the handful glitches that there are (that also allow out of bound) have absolutely no use because the game cannot be sequence broken.
I gotta respect the dedication to forcing the story to be as linear as possible. A departure from a lot of games that only check if you have the final macguffin before it lets you finish (Metroid Prime 2, the original DP) or that dynamically update story progression based on triggers that are just sitting on the map (TTYD), there's only one story trigger active at any given time, and completing it is the only way to access the next one. Pretty clever!

Metroid Fusion is very similar with story progression flags and is notorious for it in the Metroid speedrunning community. There has only ever been one real sequence break in Fusion, and that's to skip an item that is usually mandatory because the room becomes inaccessible in its initial state almost right after you get it.

I gotta respect the dedication to forcing the story to be as linear as possible. A departure from a lot of games that only check if you have the final macguffin before it lets you finish (Metroid Prime 2, the original DP) or that dynamically update story progression based on triggers that are just sitting on the map (TTYD), there's only one story trigger active at any given time, and completing it is the only way to access the next one. Pretty clever!
Also probably needed for how they set the game up. Kamado's the source of a lot of triggers, for example, so I can see why its important to keep him as in-line as possible so you don't accidentally trigger something 3 steps ahead.
The star system also makes sense from a gameplay perspective: there's not...much there... if you don't interact with the capture systems. Like for area 1 it's literally:
-capture bidoof, starly, shinx
-fight Mai's munchlax
-fight alpha kricketot
-fight Lian's goomy
-Kleavor (does not require actually battling)

in a normal Pokemon game there's more trainers and battles are more encouraged so even though you can avoid most battles, it's still like...there. & there's way more battles force over all.
So the star system forces you to interact with those systems and explore the map for more than just curiosity because damn it most people barely play games and we worked hard on this inflate that play time.

They could pull a Platinum and give them Origin forms like Giratina, redistributing their stats and give them a new ability without anything too crazy. Origin form Giratina isn't even usable to the player until postgame in Platinum, so they could hide the new forms until the climax at Spear Pillar.
A prediction of mine for BDSP prerelease. Not too far off from what we got in this game. Wonder if Origin Dialga and Palkia will get different abilities in mainline games.

... Okay, so I've been stuck on what shouldn't be too hard a boss battle - I mean, I beat Centaurworld Palkia on the second attempt, and Arceus mostly has the same attacks - for fucking days, and it finally pissed me off enough to look up a video of the attack I've been having trouble with. That one where he uses Double Team, and it seems like you're supposed to stay in the circle while finding the real one, but the circle still instakills you and none of them are real.

As you might have guessed by now, yeah, it was bugged.

*stares at the camera*

Stocked up on a few health charms to tank the broken attack and rightfully kicked his cheating ass first try. ,,|,,

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)