Leading in UU

Ubers has a thread dedicated to leads in their metagame, so why not UU? We have already seen the importance of a starting Pokemon firsthand (many games in OU are decided from the first turn, and some Ubers leads do get out of control. I'm looking at you, Deoxys-e.). Leads in UU usually fall into three categories:

Support leads, which support their team by setting up entry hazards, dual screens, weather, or spreading status. Leads like Uxie, Omastar and Hippopotas fall into this category.
Offensive leads, which usually attempt to stop enemy support leads from fulfilling their purpose, or deal damage right off the bat. Moltres, Arcanine and Sharpedo are offensive leads.
Hybrid leads, which both stop the opponent's support lead and support the team themselves. Kabutops, Ambipom (with a weather move) and Alakazam are examples of hybrid leads.

When suggesting a lead in this thread, please make sure you know what the lead is doing (probably one of the above three). You must test the lead before you use it, since I don't want this thread cluttered up with your Choice Specs Chimecho leads or anything like that. Please also ensure that the lead isn't outclassed by the current popular leads, because why would I use Sudowoodo to set up Stealth Rock when Kabutops and Rhyperior can do it? You may post a set of one of the below Pokemon, just ensure that it isn't the one in the analysis or something like that. (for example, Ice Shard Froslass)

The top 10 leads as of April are:

Uxie, with moves like Stealth Rock, Reflect, Light Screen, Thunder Wave, U-turn and even Memento to help its team win should not be ignored. It also has a fair Speed and very nice bulk.

Ambipom
, whose Technician Fake Out devastates frailer leads. Ambipom is a reliable weather starter, as well as carrying U-turn, Low Kick, Shadow Claw and Return. Ambipom can also use Taunt to screw over slower leads.

Moltres, who often wields a Choice Scarf to outspeed and destroy leads before they can blink. Moltres carries a ridiculously strong Overheat, as well as Will-o-Wisp for team support and the ever useful U-turn.

Alakazam, with a very strong Psychic, as well as Reflect, Light Screen, Encore and Trick can screw over your opponent's lead, as well as helping out your team.

Electrode, the infamous Rain Dance lead. Electrode is rarely seen without Thunder/Taunt/Rain Dance/Explosion, which allows it to stop the opponent from supporting its team, setting up Rain Dance for your team, and then finish with Explosion.

Mesprit, who has the ever-useful Stealth Rock. Mesprit also has Trick to screw over support leads, and U-turn for a quick escape. Mesprit is also capable of running an offensive set, hitting many common leads like Omastar and Moltres.

Omastar, who can set up all three of Stealth Rock, Toxic Spikes and Spikes, and use Surf to discourage Pokemon like Donphan coming in to Rapid Spin them away.

Spiritomb, who has powerful Ghost and Dark attacks to smack Uxie with. Spiritomb can also burn the opposing team with Will-o-Wisp, Trick them a Choice Band, as well as Pain Split to maintain its presence.

Hippopotas, the only Pokemon capable of summoning infinite Sandstorm in UU. Hippopotas also carries Stealth Rock, Yawn and Roar to support your team and screw over your opponent's.

Hariyama, with a powerful Close Combat and priority in Fake Out and Bullet Punch is an offensive lead to watch out for. Hariyama also has Guts to discourage status from being used against it, though Sleep can put it out, which is why some Hariyama leads use Sleep Talk.

Kabutops, boasting standard hybrid lead moves like Stealth Rock and Rapid Spin, whilst still being able to hit hard with Stone Edge and finish off a lead with Aqua Jet means that Kabutops can fit well on just about every team.

Some guidelines for posting lead sets:
Please test your lead! If you can't, somebody may be able to test it for you, but do not just suggest sets for others to test.
2. If you are going to suggest a lead that performs similarly to the above, please state the difference, otherwise we are just looking at an inferior version of a top 15 lead.
3. Make sure to describe the lead and how it fits into a team concisely. Do not write too little, or too much, since this is not a place to write new sets in a Pokemon's analysis.
4. Read the thread before posting a new set, since someone might already have posted one.
5. TEST YOUR LEAD IF YOU CAN I AM REPEATING IT TWICE FOR GOOD REASON

I'll just comment on the leads already posted (the Big 3 leads). I have never seen a Thunder Wave Froslass. They usually run Taunt/Ice Beam over Thunder Wave/Shadow Ball. Froslass could also run a Trick Scarf set. Those sets do come with Shadow Ball and Thunderbolt I think.

You should also mention Ambipom gets Taunt (for Froslass and every support lead bar Electrode) and Uxie often runs TrickScarf as well.

Erazor

✓ Just Doug It
is a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Lead Regirock is really nice. I used 252 HP/ 252 Atk Adamant, with Stone Edge, Stealth Rock, Explosion, and either Hammer Arm or Earthquake. Hammer Arm is useful for the OHKO on Ambipom who try to Taunt you, and helps you hit Cloyster leads without relying on Stone Edge. In fact, Hammer Arm is probably the more useful move overall. Earthquake lets you hit... none of the leads really, although I used it more as a last-resort Raikou check.

It does lose to Cloyster, Omastar, and Kabutops leads though. But, the Omastar/Cloyster user has to decide between getting up spikes and being KOed, or KOing Regirock without getting Spikes up.

This lead may be similar to Rhyperior, however, Regirock can beat Moltres since it doesn't die to HP grass in one hit, and fares better against Arcanine, and more importantly, Frosalss leads. Explosion also lets it kill leads like Uxie.

Regirock is a great lead to use, but it has to sacrifice a lot of its bulk. Be warned.

Froslass (F) @ Focus Sash
Ability: Snow Cloak
EVs: 4 Atk/252 Spd/252 SAtk
Timid nature (+Spd, -Atk)
- Ice Shard
- Shadow Ball
- Spikes
- Thunderbolt/Ice Beam/Taunt

This functions very similarly to Suicide Lead Lass but can also serve as an anti-lead. ThunderBolt is for stuff that Froslass usuallly can't get past like Omastar lead and Cloyster lead. Shadow Ball is for opposing enemy leads. Spikes is there for obvious reasons whilst Ice Shard is a great Priority move which lets you take out enemy leads who carry a sash. I did not create this set and I'm not taking credit for it. (Sorry if I beat you to posting it)

You should add Kabutops because it is pretty common nowadays.
EDIT: sorry its late and I didn't see it because it was at the bottom. Thanks Golden Sun :D

Moltres, who often wields a Choice Scarf to outspeed and destroy leads before they can blink. Moltres carries a ridiculously strong Overheat, as well as Will-o-Wisp for team support and the ever useful U-turn
Erm... what? Yes, that is true, but the most capable Moltres lead hands down is the standard LO set. Being able to OHKO Registeel is no joke, and HP Grass deals with the likes of Omastar and Kabutops as well. Uxie is 2HKOd and Froslass is obviously OHKOd, no matter what spread it is running. Definitely a strong lead.

Sneasel (M) @ Focus Sash
Ability: Inner Focus
EVs: 4 HP/252 Atk/252 Spd
Jolly nature (+Spd, -SAtk)
Counter
Ice Shard
Pursuit
Taunt
---
Anti lead sneasel is not a common sight But its a highly effective one, and unlike its evo it has a very useful ability in inner focus so he cannot be flinched which is fairly common in UU i found. The moves are chosen all for good reason and i not running fakeout for good reason which will be explained in detail when i come to expain how i deal with the top leasds of UU. The reason for the nature is to outspeed frosslass with a + nature and i could run a - defence nature and Iv's but due to his frailness there is very little reason to.

The top leads (from what i have seen so far as no feb stats)

Froslass : i outspeed and 2KHO with pursuit meaning he gets layer of spikes
Ambipom : Counter as they all just mash the fakeout button on the 1st turn thinking i have the same ability as my evo and fall victim to me
Uxie : This is a tricky one as so far its been about 50/50 win rate against them some will stay in and try set up rocks which fail to taunt and others will U-turn out straight away so i have to play the mind games of what wil my opponent do
Alakzam : He is why i run ice shard over fakeout as like sneasel he is immune to it but persuit + ice shard KO's as all he can do is take me down to sash
Venusaur : Lead venu tends to be scarf for a fast sleep which i jsut switch to duggy to trap him locked into sleep then sub on him and kill to remove a powerful sweeper
Ripped straight outa my UU rmt ( cheak it out http://www.smogon.com/forums/showthread.php?t=69013) woohoo for shameles ad

well a lot of the common leads have been mentioned already but i think this one should get a mention, I used it a bit during the Honckrow/ Gallade era and a bit in the Cresselia era.

Sharpedo @ Focus sash
4 Att/ 252 SpA/ 252 Spe
Rash/ hasty
~ Taunt
~ Dark Pulse
~ Surf
~ Aqua jet

Basic priority lead but with taunt. Dark Pulse will get Frosslass down to its sash and AJ will KO it. Dark Pulse usually 2HKOes Uxie, as well as Cloyster, will 2HKO offensive leads and taunt screws over spikes, also beats Alakazam. You could probably go physical but then you might have trouble handling stuff like Cloyster and Uxie who invest in defense. Also things like Omastar will set up on you easier. Its not much but its one way to contribute to the thread, you already have the top leads in there.
EDIT: forgot that rough skin breaks sashes, its a nice niche of sharpedo

mention rock Blast on Rhyperior its the only way its beating Lass and should be on every Rhyperior lead. Every Uxie lead i see now is trick scarf so that should be noted (that its a popular item on lead Uxie)

SJCrew

Believer, going on a journey...
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus

Claydol @ Choice Scarf
252 HP/68 Atk/188 Speed
Jolly Nature

- Explosion
- Rapid Spin
- Stealth Rock
- Trick

Take a nice and long look, folks, as you are now witnessing what is quite possibly the greatest lead in the history of leads. Claydol is one of only seven Pokemon possessing the ability to use both Stealth Rock and Rapid Spin, and even manages notable advantages over its few contestants.

Firstly, base 75 speed is quite serviceable for Claydol, as it's faster than a good number of other leads and justifies the usage of Scarf, even if you don't opt to Trick it right away. The given EVs are just enough to outpace Swellow, who possesses the highest base speed in all of UU, whilst allowing it to outspeed faster walls such as Milotic and Uxie. This mainly means that faster Taunt users, save for Electrode, can only watch as Claydol Tricks a Scarf onto them, forcing a setup stalemate. Alternatively, a knowledgeable opponent could have a Choiced Pokemon waiting in the wings to absorb the Trick, in which case you can simply set up Stealth Rock and switch out with impunity.

Another notable advantage Claydol has over its fellow leads is its typing and proficiency in both defensive stats; with 60/105/120 defenses and 252 HP EVs to back it up, don't expect it to be dying in one hit anytime soon from anything other than a supremely strong STAB Water or Grass type attack.

This is the single most effective lead I've used in both OU and UU (though the OU set requires full speed for tying with Scarf Smeargle and outpacing Aerodactlyl) and has helped me to get up rocks guaranteed, as well as screwing over other leads and exploding on walls and sweepers like nobody's business.

Persian @ Heat Rock
Ability: Limber
EVs: 252 HP/4 Atk/252 Spd
Jolly nature (+Spd, -SAtk)
- Hypnosis
- Taunt
- [Sunny Day]
- U-turn

Persian has been a mighty fine support lead for my Sunny Day team. 115 base speed lets it taunt hazard leads, and put them or a switch-in to sleep before setting up the sun and getting out of there. Since there is no real offense on offer the HP EVs give a little more survivability. It basically works like a better Jumpluff, albeit with no speed boost from the sun and a less accurate sleep move.

I feel the current top leads are all there because of Froslass. Kabutops / Hariyama / Sharpedo leads are more common, while Cloyster now opts for more offensive Rock Blast sets. Everything seems to be out to cover against Froslass, who in turn has evolved to protect its own neck, ala:

- Ice Shard
- Shadow Ball
- Spikes
That's not to go against point six in the OP; I'm just saying that I think pretty much all the common leads out there are in some way shaped by Froslass' presence.

Choice Band Scyther and Primeape are also two pretty cool dudes.

Ability: inner focus
Evs: 252 S.A. 252 Speed
Timid Nature
Item: focus sash
psychic
shadow ball
taunt
reflect

This has been a great lead Alakazam set for me it stops Froslass from getting up two layers and survives ambipoms moves thanks to focus sash and can 2 hit ko with psychic. Also, I can taunt lead stealth rock users and when I know its going to die to like a pursuit spiritomb I set up a reflect. I also use dugtrio to kill steelix and chansey who come in.

Camerupt @ Lum Berry
Solid Rock
8 Hp/252 Sp. Atk/248 Spe
Mild (-Atk, +Spe)
- Lava Plume
- Earth Power / HP Grass
- Stealth Rock
- Rock Polish

Overall, resistance to Will-o-Wisp and Thunderwave.

VS. Frosslass. Using Lava Plume will do some major damage to start things off. It will also nullify her Trick/Choice Item. If she doesn't trick, and instead switches, 30% chance of burn is pretty decent. If she stays and uses spikes after your first lava plume, then set up a stealth rock. Rock Polish is the next move to use. If after or right before rock polish she uses destiny bond, switch to a poke with a prio move and wail on her.

VS. Ambipom
Take the fake out and set up a stealth rock, he will prolly u-turn into something anyways. You can also read the switch into a water/flying poke and switch into your electric.

VS. Electrode
Earth Power.

VS. Kabutops/Omastar
Switch. ):

VS. Arcanine
Stealth Rock, if he doesn't switch use Earth Power.

VS. Snover
Lava Plume

(these are just the common ones I see)

Hello I just had this idea and I thought some of you would want to try it, Scarf Jynx (sorry if it was already posted somewhere):

Jynx @ Choice Scarf
Forewarn
Timid (+Spd, -Atk)
252SAtk, 252Spd, 4HP
- Lovely Kiss
- Trick
- Ice Beam
- Focus Blast

Well first things first: If everything works as thought then Jynx will sleep one Pokemon and hopefully Trick another one if it gets a chance. But, remember that this lead (if it is in a favourable match-up) has only a 75% chance of fucking the opposing lead up (Lovely Kiss go), but uh everything has its price. Also, you might ask: why this over Venusaur? Well, Jynx has Trick and higher speed.

Jynx loses to leads with Lum Berry and priority that is strong enough to KO it - such as LOYama's Fake Out followed up by Bullet Punch. Take note though that Jynx survives a Shadow Tag Tomb Shadow Sneak - the maximum it does is 99.4 damage.

Aldaron

geriatric
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
The lead I am absolutely in love with that I can't get over is

Uxie@Choice Scarf
EVs: 252 HP / 136 Def / 120 Spe
Relevant stats reached: 354 HP / 363 Def / 384 Speed / 296 Spdef
~Trick
~Stealth Rock
~Psychic
~Toxic

It's basically a general utility Pokemon that can help you against everything. Helps you play offense by setting up SR. Helps less offensively inclined balanced teams against Stall by crippling something with Trick Choice or Toxic (on Milotic, for example). Helps against the general threats of SD Venu and Toxicroak by Psychicing (and never getting ohkoed by any +2 LO move from either, even after SR damage). Helps against rain by removing damp rock from the lead Poke, and then being bulky enough to Toxic or Psychic whatever comes in and wear it down enough. Helps against offense by proving Fighting / Ground resists and good physical bulk.

Just an all around useful lead. The only leads it has issues against are LO Moltres (2hkos with Fire Blast), Payback Hariyama, and Taunt Electrode. It tricks the stallers / spikers, sets up SR before Ambipom can set up on you, and Tricks the lead subbers.

Uxie@Choice Scarf
~Trick
~Stealth Rock
~Psychic
~Toxic

It's basically a general utility Pokemon that can help you against everything. Helps you play offense by setting up SR. Helps less offensively inclined balanced teams against Stall by crippling something with Trick Choice or Toxic (on Milotic, for example). Helps against the general threats of SD Venu and Toxicroak by Psychicing (and never getting ohkoed by any +2 LO move from either, even after SR damage). Helps against rain by removing damp rock from the lead Poke, and then being bulky enough to Toxic or Psychic whatever comes in and wear it down enough. Helps against offense by proving Fighting / Ground resists and good physical bulk.

Just an all around useful lead. The only leads it has issues against are LO Moltres (2hkos with Fire Blast), Payback Hariyama, and Taunt Electrode. It tricks the stallers / spikers, sets up SR before Ambipom can set up on you, and Tricks the lead subbers.
I'd much rather use Thunder Wave over Toxic to make that Choice Scarf you just tricked onto the opponent completely useless.

I really prefer to run Protect over Fake Out on Hariyama, and then to run Flame Orb over Life Orb.

Hariyama@Flame Orb - Guts
252Att/252HP/4SpD - Adamant
~Protect
~CC/Low Kick
~Payback
~Bullet Punch

Low Kick is a decent option just for the fact that it doesn't drop defenses like CC does while still hitting everything else hard, as Hari can still take a hit or two even with the burn. Protect lets you run over opposing Ambipom leads and Protect + Flame Orb even lets you beat Scarf sleep leads. It's also nice for scouting.

I really prefer to run Protect over Fake Out on Hariyama, and then to run Flame Orb over Life Orb.

Hariyama@Flame Orb - Guts
252Att/252HP/4SpD - Adamant
~Protect
~CC/Low Kick
~Payback
~Bullet Punch

Low Kick is a decent option just for the fact that it doesn't drop defenses like CC does while still hitting everything else hard, as Hari can still take a hit or two even with the burn. Protect lets you run over opposing Ambipom leads and Protect + Flame Orb even lets you beat Scarf sleep leads. It's also nice for scouting.
Ummm why not run fake out over protect? You get in some damage and can break sashes and can help put some opponents into K.O range of bullet punch

FlareBlitz

Relaxed nature. Loves to eat.
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
What would Protecting against Alakazam accomplish? It'll just have wait to one more turn to turn Hariyama into paste and if it's a Sub variant you just got badly screwed.

Edit: I find the lack of Mespirit in this thread...disturbing. No, it's not the same as Uxie, since it can run an anti-lead set with Grass Knot and shit or a Choice set that can actually do some damage and/or revenge kill due to its decent offenses.

Stallion

Tree Young
is a Tiering Contributoris a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Three-Time Past WCoP Champion
- Ice Shard
- Shadow Ball
- Spikes

This functions very similarly to Suicide Lead Lass but can also serve as an anti-lead. ThunderBolt is for stuff that Froslass usuallly can't get past like Omastar lead and Cloyster lead. Shadow Ball is for opposing enemy leads. Spikes is there for obvious reasons whilst Ice Shard is a great Priority move which lets you take out enemy leads who carry a sash. I did not create this set and I'm not taking credit for it. (Sorry if I beat you to posting it)
Heh you did beat me to it >.<. But that's my overall favourite lead in UU at the moment. Using random shit from the top 15 to start Rain Dance is pretty cool too, as nobody expects them to do that as opposed to their usual function!.

Uxie@Choice Scarf
~Trick
~Stealth Rock
~Psychic
~Toxic
No offense, but any lead that lets Froslass get three layers of Spikes up in one sitting is pretty terrible imo

Uxie@Choice Scarf
~Trick
~Stealth Rock
~Psychic
~Toxic

Yeah, TrickScarf Uxie is pretty amazing. I personally run Thunder Wave over Toxic for reasons stated by HR., and U-turn over Psychic. I run a mainly offensive team and since most of my Pokemon can't afford getting afflicted by status, Uxie acts as a nice switch to the Pokemon which set I'm uncertain about, while at the same time maintaining momentum with U-turn.

No offense, but any lead that lets Froslass get three layers of Spikes up in one sitting is pretty terrible imo
You're right, I suppose that is one major disadvantage of using TrickScarf Uxie, and a very big one at that. Most Froslass tend to Taunt though, but a good player would probably set up Spikes upon seeing Uxie. Sucks that Froslass is one of the most common leads, it really puts a damper on what would otherwise have been quite an amazing lead.

The amount of leads in this thread that give Froslass 1-2 Spikes at the very least is ridiculous. If you don't want to lose to every team with Froslass I'd recommend not using leads like TrickScarf Uxie/Jynx.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)