SS LC LC Pawniard + Cutiefly

Hey guys! Welcome back to another RMT! The ban of Dynamax and interesting choice of Pokémon in the LC Tier has grew me into the tier and I decided to build a team for fun. This is an offensive team and as you read from the title, I will be making a main core around Pawniard and Cutiefly. While the two are both weak to fire, there is barely any Fire types in the tier so it's not too much to worry about. Anyways, let's get on with the team!

THE TEAM

Onix is the Stealth Rock lead of this team. I chose this as a lead because it's new access to Dragon Dance makes it a great desire for keeping up hazards and putting offensive pressure on the team at the same time. It can also switch in at times and shares mutual checks with its teammates. It's also an A tier in Viability Rankings along with Mudbray and Drilbur, the highest tier of a Stealth Rock Pokemon as of now.

With our hazard setter on the team, here comes Pawniard, the main reasons why I built this core. It's one of my favorite sweepers in LC and Strength Sap actually raises its attack by 1 due to Defiant. It can still be countered, however. Timburr is a pretty good answer to it and Trapinch can trap and remove it. Pawniard is great at chipping Pokemon, however, as it's able to Sucker Punch faster users. Attacking is Pawniards greatest asset.

Image result for cutiefly sprite gif

Cutiefly is great and can counter almost everything Pawniard struggles with. It can Moonblast Timburr, Energy Ball ground types, etc. All of that while it has a great access to the move Quiver Dance and is even an S tier in Viability Rankings. Like I said, the both of them may struggle with Fire Types but the little use of them make this core stay strong and Onix is there to kill Fire types. If Cutiefly does encounter a Steel type, however, it's pretty much dead. But with Quiver Dance, it can still do some chip damage with Moonblast. The best way to deal with Cutieflys counters is offensive pressure.

Timburr is the hazard remover of the team (Yes, it gets access to Defog.) The reason why I chose Timburr was because I didnt have enough space to put Vullaby in, and Timburr can effectively counter Pokémon like Munchlax. One thing that helps Timburr with checking Pokemon is Iron Fist, making moves like Drain Punch or Mach Punch stronger. When removing hazards, it also needs enough bulk to survive.

This team struggles against Ground types, so I decided to use Oddish. While it has a Poison typing, it can Strength Sap the likes of Trapinch and Diglett and damage them with Giga Drain. It can also Giga Drain Corphish and Strength Sap Farfetch'd (Most might run Brave Bird.) This makes Oddish a good fit on the team.

For the last option, I decided to use Drifloon as a Calm Mind sweeper. As a Calm Mind sweeper, it's definitely a strange option, but the abiity Unburden along with Substitute and Berry Juice makes it outspeed almost everything in the tier. It's moveset isnt too wide, but ill be sharing it later in the in-team depth. Drifloon can just clean the rest of the team and does a decent job against weather teams, along with Cutiefly.

IN-TEAM DEPTH

Image result for onix anime
Onix @ Berry Juice
Ability: Sturdy
Level: 5
EVs: 236 Atk / 76 SpD / 196 Spe
Adamant Nature
Rock
- Stealth Rock
Ground
- Earthquake
Rock
- Stone Edge
Dragon
- Dragon Dance
Onix has 20 HP, meaning that it can guarantee a free Stealth Rock and Dragon Dance with Sturdy + Berry Juice. As a hazard setter, its very fun to use compared to others and has strong STAB moves of Earthquake and Stone Edge to hit Flying Types. On a side note, Onix can also learn Head Smash now but loses 50% HP which loses its opportunity as a Dragon Dancer.
Image result for pawniard anime gif
Pawniard @ Life Orb
Ability: Defiant
EVs: 236 Atk / 36 Def / 36 SpD / 196 Spe
Jolly Nature
Normal
- Swords Dance
Steel
- Iron Head
Dark
- Sucker Punch
Dark
- Night Slash
Swords Dance makes Pawniard such a threatening sweeper and is the main reason why I use it. Originally, I was going to replace Night Slash with Payback but now i'm a little skeptical. Iron Head and Sucker Punch are great STAB moves, and Sucker Punch is also a priority move, making it outspeed other Pokémon. Life Orb makes Pawniard more stronger than it already is.

Image result for cutiefly anime gif
Cutiefly @ Focus Sash
Ability: Sweet Veil
EVs: 236 SpA / 244 Spe
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
Bug
- Quiver Dance
Fairy
- Moonblast
Psychic
- Psychic
Grass
- Energy Ball
Focus Sash guarantees a free Quiver Dance, making Cutiefly more than just a Pokémon to help with Pawniards weaknesses. Defog Timburr helps support the use of hazards so Focus Sash can't be broken. Moonblast is a very strong STAB move, while Psychic is used over Bug Buzz to counter Poison types like Mareanie or Oddish. Energy Ball also checks off ground types like Trapinch or Mudbray.
Image result for timburr anime gif
Timburr @ Eviolite
Ability: Iron Fist
EVs: 76 HP / 196 Atk / 236 SpD
Adamant Nature
Flying
- Defog
Fighting
- Mach Punch
Poison
- Poison Jab
Electric
- Thunder Punch
Timburr can actually work well as a Defogger when you slap Eviolite on it. It also has different assets than the likes of Vullaby, nd that is it's wide variety of moves. Mach Punch is a good priority move (I originally used Drain Punch but I was suggested to use Mach Punch for Pawniard so let me know if I should change this.) Poison Jab counters fairies, and Thunder Punch counters flying types. I thought this bulky guy would be a decent fit on an offensive team.
Image result for oddish anime gif
Oddish @ Eviolite
Ability: Chlorophyll
EVs: 236 SpA / 76 SpD / 196 Spe
Modest Nature
Grass
- Strength Sap
Grass
- Giga Drain
Poison
- Sludge Bomb
Grass
- Sleep Powder
Here we have Oddish, who can check a small number of threats in this team. I decided to use a Modest Nature to do a lot of damage with Giga Drain to Ground types. Sleep Powder is also an option if you want to stop a certain Pokémon from setting up, hitting hard, etc. FUN FACT: Oddish with Eviolite can tank a Psychic from Life Orb Cutiefly and KO it back with Sludge Bomb. Take that, Fairies!!!

Image result for drifloon anime gif
Drifloon @ Berry Juice
Ability: Unburden
EVs: 196 SpA / 84 SpD / 196 Spe
Modest Nature
Psychic
- Calm Mind
Ghost
- Shadow Ball
Normal
- Substitute
Electric
- Thunderbolt
Drifloon is a decent Calm Mind sweeper who later becomes super fast after Berry Juice. Of course, Substitute is ran since Drifloon isn't the bulkiest. Shadow Ball is a great STAB move, while Thunderbolt is ran over Destiny Bond, Will-O-Wisp, etc. because this team is greatly countered by Wingull, so Thunderbolt is the closest thing to countering it. Drifloon could actually be effective at cleaning teams sometimes.

In conclusion, I think this team is good because it focuses on offensive pressure and coverages. Let me know what you think of the team and what needs improvement. Thanks for reading!!!

REPLAYS

Last edited:

Stoward

Ah, you're finally awake
Hi RottenInfernape, this is a really cool team. It certainly looks like you’ve done your research cos I struggle to see any glaring weaknesses in it, so my most of my recommended changes are going to be minor changes such as EVs and sets.

Major Change.

:ferroseed: > :oddish:

Oddish seemed like a really cool pick. It tends to stand out the most on Sun teams at the moment - especially since Cherubi is banned - and it was kinda cool to see it do something different, but the reasoning for replacing it with Ferroseed was basically for Spikes. With Defiant punishing defog and Drifloon blocking Rapid Spin. I really wanted to put you on the hazard stacking offensive route. Also this improves your Wingull Matchup a fair bit as there's a very minor chance to be 2HKO'd by Hurricane, while Bullet Seed has a chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock with 3 hits. 4 hits Guarantees an OHKO after Stealth Rock and has a chance to OHKO without. While you can't OHKO Cutiefly unless you run Iron Head over Thunder Wave. Thunder Wave shuts it down and you end up beating it with Bullet Seed before it wears you down with Moonblast. Bug Buzz can potentially be annoying, but you'd have Pawniard to deal with it if it's running that as it needs to get to +2 to be able to outspeed it and you OHKO with Iron Head.
236 SpA Life Orb Wingull Hurricane vs. 84 HP / 228 SpD Eviolite Ferroseed: 9-12 (40.9 - 54.5%) -- 0.4% chance to 2HKO
Possible damage amounts: (9, 9, 9, 9, 9, 9, 9, 9, 9, 9, 9, 9, 9, 9, 9, 12)
36 Atk Ferroseed Bullet Seed (3 hits) vs. 36 HP / 0 Def Wingull: 12-18 (57.1 - 85.7%) -- approx. 6.3% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock
Possible damage amounts: (4, 4, 4, 4, 4, 4, 4, 4, 4, 4, 4, 4, 4, 4, 4, 6)

Ferroseed @ Eviolite
Ability: Iron Barbs
EVs: 84 HP / 36 Atk / 108 Def / 228 SpD / 36 Spe
Impish Nature
- Knock Off
- Bullet Seed
- Thunder Wave
- Spikes

Minor Changes.

:timburr:
EV Change
Timburr @ Eviolite
EVs: 196 Atk / 156 Def / 156 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Drain Punch
- Mach Punch
- Thunder Punch
- Defog

So this change seems relatively minor, but I think that one of the best things about Timburr in Gen 8 is the fact that it can Defog so reliably against all our Stealth Rock and Spikes setters and Drain Punch gives it much more longevity which helps it Defog so much more effectively. While Poison Jab is great for luring Fairies, Pawniard and Ferroseed can handle them well enough. The EV Spread change is basically so that Eviolite functions better. Calcs and stats are quite crazy in LC cos the mons are level 5. This Article explains it really well and I'd definitely recommend giving it a read if you want to get into building in LC.

:Cutiefly:
Cutiefly @ Life Orb
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 HP
- Quiver Dance
- Moonblast
- Psychic
- Sticky Web

I made Cutiefly Life Orb for more breaking power and I didn't want this team to be too pressured into removing hazards as you really want to be setting them rather than removing them on offensive teams. Sticky Web adds to the hazard stacking. Also makes it easier for your slower breakers such as Pawniard and Timburr and makes them less reliant on priority moves. I also made the IVs 0HP so you take less recoil from life orb

:pawniard:
Pawniard @ Life Orb
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Iron Head
- Sucker Punch
- Thief

I changed your IVs to have 0 HP so that you only lose 1HP from recoil, so doing approx 5% instead of 10%.
Thief is optional really, but items in LC are crucial, and stealing eviolites, berry juices etc if Pawniard loses its Life Orb can be game changing. Stealth Rock also isn't a bad option as Onix really likes to run Body Press to hit Ferroseed (Sim is glitching right now and it straight up OHKOs but it's generally a good move anyway cos it takes advantages of Onix's ridiculous Defense stat).

:onix:
Onix @ Berry Juice
Jolly Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Rock Blast
- Dragon Dance

Stone Edge was replaced with Rock Blast as multi-hit moves are super good in LC thanks to rolls being crazy. It also allows you to break Drifloon's substitutes and potentially KO it in a single turn, as well as breaking Cutiefly's sash.

:drifloon:
I don't even feel the need to add an importable for this. Literally just added 4 EVs into Defense as it gives it an extra Defense point.

Closing notes:
I had a lot of fun with this. I tried testing it out on ladder with a test account by starting on a new alt. Ladder was quite depressing though and it took me like half an hour to find 3 games and all the ladder games were at around the 1000s (I won them all though) and I really didn't wanna risk losing lots of points to hax. I'll give you this replay though cos it was kinda fun and I guess it shows why Rock Blast Onix is cool. LC is a fun tier to get into. Building is a little strange because the damage rolls are crazy but it's easily the best tier right now and I hope to see you keep playing/building for it. I've provided an importable below. Hope you have a lot of fun with the team with its changes!

Onix @ Berry Juice
Jolly Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Rock Blast
- Dragon Dance

Pawniard @ Life Orb
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Iron Head
- Sucker Punch
- Thief

Cutiefly @ Life Orb
Modest Nature
- Quiver Dance
- Moonblast
- Psychic
- Sticky Web

Timburr @ Eviolite
EVs: 196 Atk / 156 Def / 156 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Defog
- Mach Punch
- Drain Punch
- Thunder Punch

Drifloon @ Berry Juice
Ability: Unburden
EVs: 4 Def / 196 SpA / 84 SpD / 196 Spe
Modest Nature
- Calm Mind
- Shadow Ball
- Substitute
- Thunderbolt

Ferroseed @ Eviolite
Ability: Iron Barbs
EVs: 84 HP / 36 Atk / 108 Def / 228 SpD / 36 Spe
Impish Nature
- Knock Off
- Bullet Seed
- Thunder Wave
- Spikes

Attachments

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)