Project LC Community Create-a-Team: Complete!

Status
Not open for further replies.

tcr

sage of six tabs
is a Tutor Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Really liking Tirtouga as honestly Archen is just going to get worn down by SR especially since we have no hazard control. Tirtouga is a much more reliable option to Fletchling + Diglett as with 52 Atk Aqua Jet koes always unless given a minimum roll (which LO recoil / SR gets the OHKO). Tirtouga gives us a good option to fight Vullaby as well, as well as giving us some more priority user.

I don't really see how Archen is the only viable option considering Scarf Drilbur doesn't even OHKO defensive Tirtouga while Aqua Jet 2hkoes and Scald OHKOes with Burn + SR.

In short, Tirtouga also beats Fletchdig + Scarf Drilbur and can be fit with different moves to cover different things. SR / Scald / Aqua Jet / Stone Edge can be a catch all that can wall Vullaby, Knock Off can be used to lure in things like Croagunk for Scraggy, while you can even run something like Zen Headbutt to actually lure and OHKO Croagunk. I think the EVs might need to be changed, I prefer way more defensively inclined EVs instead of Specially, but those nuances can be on a player by player basis.

Star

is a Tournament Directoris a Member of Senior Staffis a Top Tiering Contributoris a Past SPL Championis the defending RU Circuit Championis a Former Old Generation Tournament Circuit Champion
OGC & Tour Head
Really liking Tirtouga as honestly Archen is just going to get worn down by SR especially since we have no hazard control. Tirtouga is a much more reliable option to Fletchling + Diglett as with 52 Atk Aqua Jet koes always unless given a minimum roll (which LO recoil / SR gets the OHKO). Tirtouga gives us a good option to fight Vullaby as well, as well as giving us some more priority user.

I don't really see how Archen is the only viable option considering Scarf Drilbur doesn't even OHKO defensive Tirtouga while Aqua Jet 2hkoes and Scald OHKOes with Burn + SR.

In short, Tirtouga also beats Fletchdig + Scarf Drilbur and can be fit with different moves to cover different things. SR / Scald / Aqua Jet / Stone Edge can be a catch all that can wall Vullaby, Knock Off can be used to lure in things like Croagunk for Scraggy, while you can even run something like Zen Headbutt to actually lure and OHKO Croagunk. I think the EVs might need to be changed, I prefer way more defensively inclined EVs instead of Specially, but those nuances can be on a player by player basis.
I don't think it particularly matters that tirt beats scarf dril 1v1. It does not deter it any way from clicking EQ as it pleases unlike archen which with a free turn is very dangerous. Tirt has one switch in max if rocks are up and is literally the easiest thing in the planet to switch into without shell smash

Nineage

Pugnacious.
is a Programmeris a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Looks like slurmz convinced us all Archen was the choice!

Here is the team:

Scraggy @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Moxie
Level: 5
EVs: 236 Atk / 36 SpD / 212 Spe
Jolly Nature
- High Jump Kick
- Knock Off
- Zen Headbutt
- Drain Punch

Honedge @ Eviolite
Ability: No Guard
EVs: 196 Atk / 116 Def / 140 SpD / 52 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Pursuit
- Iron Head
- Sacred Sword
- Shadow Sneak

Chinchou @ Berry Juice
Ability: Volt Absorb
EVs: 76 HP / 212 Def / 152 SpA / 60 Spe
Bold Nature
- Scald
- Volt Switch
- Ice Beam / Hydro Pump / Hidden Power Ground
- Heal Bell

Timburr @ Eviolite
Ability: Guts
EVs: 116 Atk / 156 Def / 236 SpD
Careful Nature
- Drain Punch
- Mach Punch
- Knock Off
- Bulk Up

Foongus @ Eviolite
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 124 HP / 156 Def / 156 SpD
Bold Nature
- Spore
- Giga Drain
- Sludge Bomb
- Clear Smog

nüguns (Archen) (M)
Ability: Defeatist
EVs: 180 Atk / 76 Def / 196 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Acrobatics
- Stone Edge
- Roost
- Stealth Rock

But wait! There's one more stage!

As we all know, no team is ever complete until you go back over it! For this stage, two of our cutest LC team raters, Corporal Levi and Fiend will be looking over this team and giving suggestions. These can be as small as changing an EV spread or a single move, or as large as changing a Pokemon. When they have made their suggestions, we will vote as a community on which to implement!

If anyone other than those two wants to leave a rate, go ahead, but I'm reserving the right to ignore bad rates so as not to clog up voting for this stage.

The team looks solid guys, great work!

Corporal Levi

ninjadog of the decade
is a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnus
Hello LC community, and welcome to LC!

This is genuinely a pretty solid team, so kudos to nineage and everyone who participated. (At least it went a lot better than when we tried to do this live!) I just have a few minor adjustments to offer -

Sacred Sword on Honedge is mostly used for Steel-types. It has other uses, like Aipom and Houndour, but that's the big one. We're not weak to Steel-types at all, and they probably won't be switching Aipom in on Honedge / we have better ways to pressure Aipom on the revenge-kill than Sacred Sword Honedge, so hitting the rare Houndour is mostly what we gain.
Now, we already have two fantastic sweepers in Scraggy and Timburr. However, they both lack the means to significantly damage Fairy-types, so if the opponent has a Spritzee, they're going to be shut down for most of the match. This isn't to say that we have no way to win against Spritzee, of course, because it's very easy to force out, but Swords Dance over Sacred Sword allows for a much more straight-forward game plan against teams that have bulky Fairy-types. It also lets Honedge threaten most Fighting-types slightly more.

As for our offensive weaknesses, I think Drifloon is the hardest sweeper to play around. We do have a Chinchou, but this variant is set-up bait for Calm Mind Drifloon and can potentially be outstalled by Acrofloon since it won't want to click Volt Switch. Volt Switching on Acrofloon's second Substitute into Archen could work, but only if Archen is healthy at the time. This is fairly easy to fix; Thunder Wave over Heal Bell lets Chinchou cripple either variant of Drifloon so that one of the team's Knock Off users can revenge-kill it. It also helps to support a Timburr sweep, and makes Archen and Swords Dance Honedge significantly more threatening. Foongus is pretty tough to handle for most of the team, so I think Ice Beam is the best choice in the third slot.

Finally, Archen's supportive moveset would probably make more sense with a slightly bulkier EV spread. Running 76 HP / 20 Atk / 76 Def / 76 SpD / 196 Spe won't usually matter, but it does offer a few small benefits like surviving LO Gastly's Shadow Ball, Scarf Chinchou's Ice Beam, and bulky Chinchou's Volt Switch from full health, healing an extra point with Roost, and keeping it out of Defeatist range from switching into Foongus's Sludge Bomb after Stealth Rock.

The main Pokemon that I see potentially being troublesome after these changes are Omanyte and opposing Foongus; with that being said, as long as Timburr is kept healthy and you don't let Archen stay in while it's in Defeatist range, Omanyte will struggle to set up, and Foongus is passive enough to be played around. Floondig and Timbgoth have a good match-up against this team, but Floondig has counterplay options because Drifloon needs Baton Pass to get Diglett in safely, and Timburr can be worn down even without Foongus.

That's all I have to say for now. Good luck, and stick around in LC!

Fiend

someguy
is a Social Media Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
I have very little to add because Levi has covered most of what needed to be said. Nothing else reliably help the team; options such as the 4th move on Foongus are there, but nothing consistently matters. Foul Play Foongus doesn't make Gastly much less threatening while HP Psychic does very little outside of limiting Croagunk which is slightly helpful. The team needs to be played carefully against Gastly, Gothita+Oma or Tirt or Carvanha or Corphish, some BP chains (Torchic+HP Fire Pory is rare but dangerous for example), and of course rather aggressive Zigzagoon teams since these are extremely dangerous though in decline. Additionally, sun teams should be massive issues though these are also in decline however do not need to be as precisely played as the last few mentioned teams, and therefore I'm noting the archetype by itself. Few pokemon outside outside of powerful wallbreakers pose issues for the team, especially considering Levi's suggestions. Additionally there is a slight reliance on Timburr when it comes to dealing with said powerful wallbreakers. The team has a decent enough performance against most matchups that the team would make an adequate ladder team, thus I feel that this was a successful team.

Nineage

Pugnacious.
is a Programmeris a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus
All right, I'll leave this for about 24 hours in case anyone wants to discuss those suggestions before we officially vote.

Berks

has a Calm Mind
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
I'd like to make a small suggestion concerning Honedge's EV spread. After consulting the calculations, I believe the spread should be updated from 196 Atk / 116 Def / 140 SpD / 52 Spe to 116 Atk / 116 Def / 140 SpD / 132 Spe. This will help alleviate our TimbGoth weakness, as Honedge will no longer have to risk speed ties against standard Timburr, allowing it to potentially flinch or KO Timburr to a much greater effect than now. What we lose is the 100% KO against Abra and Gastly with Shadow Sneak; however, some points stand out that mititgate this factor. Firstly, the Abra roll is still 81% to OHKO, it will never KO Sash Abra anyways, and we will likely be hitting it with Pursuit regardless. Additionally, Gastly is also an 81% roll to OHKO, and it requires either Stealth Rock or one round of LO damage to become guaranteed. In short, we don't lose out on much at all by bumping up Honedge's Speed just a touch, and the change helps patch one of the team's truly poor matchups.

Last edited:

sam-testings

What a beautiful face, I have found in this place
im just sad theres no skrelp =(

The team looks pretty strong, is somewhat weak to some variants of snivy though in my opinion. As long as you remember to keep Scraggy healthy you should be fine though.

Nineage

Pugnacious.
All right, thanks to all for their rates, here is how this works:

The suggestions:
Heal Bell --> Thunder Wave
Sacred Sword --> Swords Dance
EVs --> 116 Atk / 116 Def / 140 SpD / 132 Spe
EVs --> 76 HP / 20 Atk / 76 Def / 76 SpD / 196 Spe

Votes should be in the following format:

1- Yes
2- Yes
3- No
etc.

You don't need to vote on every item if you don't have a preference. At the end of voting, if the yes votes outnumber the no votes, the change will be implemented!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)