LC CCAT (Version III) [Ladder Race won by iss] See Post #236

Going with Magnemite because it provides the best overall Offensive and Defensive synergy to the team, not Drilbur.

apt-get

it's not over 'til it's over
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
Magnemite, as it provides us with a powerful sorta-pivot - Though, I think we should run Hidden Power [Grass] on it.

I'm going with Drilbur because he does many good things for the team like pose a threat to magnemite and chinchou who won't let tirtouga set up and wall both drifloon and murkrow well, he spins, and he gives us rocks while drifloon spin blocks. We could even run SD if we really want to stick to high offensive pressure, since his counters get smaller when he runs mold breaker.

Electrolyte

Wouldn't Wanna Know
is a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Alright, this week's winner is Drilbur by a mudRock Slide! Congrats to Corkscrew, who gets another 0.5 bonus voting points! Here's the set:

Drilbur @ Eviolite
Trait: Mold Breaker
Level: 5
EVs: 36 HP / 252 Atk / 212 Spd
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Rapid Spin
- Rock Slide / X-Scissor
- Stealth Rock

Now, it's time for Nominations for Pokemon number 5!
Here are some things to keep in mind:

Concept: Overwhelming Offense

Purpose: Create a team that is meant to overwhelm a specific Pokemon's checks and counters (that isn't SandMag and is thus less well checked) in order to set up a sweep for the other thing.

Description: Things are easy to wear down in this tier. I'm sure spamming Fire types or Water types or Fighting types or something can lead to some sort of sweep.

Things to Consider:
Offenses greatest nemeses, Drilbur and Murkrow
Handling the tier
BEING STRONG

Sorry not much detail...just "spam Pokemon checked by the same stuff to WIN IT VIGOROUSLY"

Murkrow @ Eviolite
Trait: Prankster
EVs: 36 HP / 236 Atk / 20 Def / 20 SpD / 188 Spe
Jolly nature
- Substitute
- Roost
- Brave Bird
- Sucker Punch

Drifloon @ Flying Gem
Trait: Unburden
EVs: 36 HP / 196 Atk / 196 Spd / 36 SAtk / 4 Def / 4 SDef
Naive Nature
- Acrobatics
- Shadow Ball
- Substitute / Hidden Power Ice / Hidden Power Fire / Hidden Power something else
- Destiny Bond

Tirtouga (M) @ Splash Plate
Trait: Sturdy
EVs: 84 HP / 212 Atk / 12 Def / 180 Spd
Adamant Nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
- Shell Smash
- Aqua Tail
- Stone Edge
- Aqua Jet

Drilbur @ Eviolite
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Rapid Spin
- Rock Slide / X-Scissor
- Stealth Rock

blarajan: +1.0
Corkscrew: +1.0
iss: +0.5

I'll give this nomination session about a week. Good luck guys!

I would like to nominate Croagunk for the 5th slot. Looking at the team now, once Scraggy gets a DD boost, he can be annoying with rocks up to break Tirtouga's sturdy, and can OHKO everything else with its dual STAB's. Murkrow can sucker punch once it's low on health, but other than that it can beat it since Roost will give Drain Punch/Hi Jump Kick SE status and all it can do is spam sub and hope for an HJK miss. Also, Croagunk synergizes well with the team, Murkrow especially since it handle it's Psychic and Ground weaknesses. It can also take on Chinchou well, since Hydro Spam looks rather annoying atm.
Synergy:
-Takes high powered Fighting moves and Rock moves for Murkrow
-Takes Rock and dark moves for Drifloon
-Takes Fighting and Grass moves for Tirtouga
-Takes Water and Grass moves for Drilbur

He also adds dual Priority to the team which is another plus, and gives us another way to beat Lileep. So enough rambling on, I'm just going to suggest the standard bulky offense set, since it seems like the best one to use giving us another mixed mixed attacker with two priority moves. I just added a possibility of sunning Sucker Punch over Shadow Ball for Missy etc. If anyone else supports Sucker Punch>Shadow Ball just say so and suggest an EV spread for more attack since I'm terrible with EV's ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Croagunk @ Eviolite
Trait: Dry Skin
EVs: 212 HP / 28 Atk / 36 Def / 108 SAtk / 116 SDef
Quiet Nature
- Fake Out
- Vacuum Wave
- Drain Punch
- Shadow Ball / Sucker Punch

dcae

plaza athénée
is a defending SCL Championis a Past SCL Champion
I also think Snover is the most ideal pokemon for this slot. It provides several things at once: a means to tear apart Sand teams, a scarfer that can revenge stuff, priority, a crucial resist to Water (bulky attacker Chinchou can hurt this team a lot), and keeps up offensive pressure thanks to 100% accuracy Blizzards that make it extremely hard to switch into. Drilbur also takes care of Magnemite, who could otherwise switch in with impunity into Murkrow and Drifloon, as well as Snover. Overall, I think that is the best pokemon for the role necessary here.

iss

let's play bw lc!
is a Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnus

Snow Warning | Choice Scarf | Naive
108 Atk / 188 SpA / 196 Spe
- Blizzard
- Ice Shard
- Giga Drain
- Hidden Power Fire / Ground​

Maybe it's a good idea to not straight-up die to Sand? After all, Sand teams are one of the biggest problems for heavy offense teams- their innate speed gives them a huge advantage over even the fastest sweepers, who will most likely take damage while setting up. Drifloon can speed tie with Drilbur, but it can't kill it without getting a Destiny Bond off. Murkrow can do some nice damage with Sucker Punch, but Eviolite versions will just shrug it off. Additionally, both of our current sweepers hate Hippopotas, Lileep, and Ferroseed, three things that are heavily used on sand teams. Snover is able to patch the problem we have, as a conservatively played Snover can dismantle even the best sand teams. Choice Scarf Snover is not only easy to use, it is effective. It has decent synergy with Murkrow and Drifloon, and more importantly, they share similar counters in Steel-types. Snover can catch out Steel-types with a surprise Hidden Power, and even if your prediction fails, nothing will enjoy repeated Blizzards, Brave Birds, and Acrobatics. The passive hail also heavily benefits our sweepers, allowing them to stall with Substitute to pick up those pesky 2HKOes. Simply put, Snover plugs a critical hole in our team, while simultaneously creating opportunities for our main core to sweep, and providing that bit of extra damage with Snow Warning.
gotta love that pc++

adding to the fighting types chosen by people as their mon for a team slot timburr screams offense with priority and a great ability in a metagame filled with toxic and WOW users. And that is exactly why I nominate eviolite bulk up Timburr

Timburr @ eviolite
Trait: guts
Level: 5 (of course)
EVs: 76 HP / 196 Atk / 236 SpD
careful nature
- Drain punch
- Mach punch
- Bulk Up
- payback

The crux of this set is the bulk up move it gives you set up time on any physical mon or mons that it can handle naturally like magnemite, bronzor, or lileep. this means also it can further inherit a higher sweeping chance by increasing its defense too while offense and a drain punch keeps you going if toxic hits it. Lastly mach punch is too stop faster or frailer treats like abra if damaged and payback prevents ghosts from setting up and counter sweeping
Renominating This guy for another round because I really believe in this guy I have not run out of ideas, I just really think Timburr is hyper offense and can kill many common threats even a murkrow if weakened. It is versatile and can snag a few kills in several different ways with only two move types.

Stuff like Axew, Clamperl, Dratini and Scraggy can sweep this team as is without too much difficulty if they set up. So, we need a good revenge killer (i.e. not snover) because Snover either doesn't outspeed these threats or has to use ice shard, which not only doesn't do a whole lot but is incredibly easy to set up on. Mienfoo seems like a good choice, it can hit porygon and lileep hard which troubles pretty much everything on the team plus outspeeds all of the above threats.

Mienfoo @ Choice Scarf
Trait: Regenrator
EVs: 236 Atk / 36 Def / 236 Spe
Jolly Nature
~ Hi Jump Kick
~ U-turn / Knock Off
~ Stone Edge
~ Drain Punch / Knock Off

Magnemite @ Choice Scarf
Trait: Magnet Pull
EVs: 28 HP / 240 SAtk / 240 Spd
Modest Nature
- Flash Cannon
- Thunderbolt
- Volt Switch
- Hidden Power [Fire]/[Ice]The one Drifloon doesn't use

Now that we have some sweepers, we need ways to get them in safely. Scarfnemite, outspeeding all unboosted pokemon in lc, is capable of bringing in our frailer sweepers with volt switch. It hits 20 spa, so it is no slouch, capable of getting many significant 2hkos. With HP Ice, it gets perfect neutral coverage, or HP Fire could be used to trap and roast steels such as Ferroseed, which could otherwise cause a lot of trouble. Thunderbolt and Flash Cannon are both power stabs, capable of late-game cleanup if necessary. All in all, Scarfnemite would be great for our team.

Not sure if I can just repost the same pokemon, but I think it's still very good and would benefit the team

Electrolyte

Wouldn't Wanna Know
is a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
It's pretty obvious now that we need not only another Water resist but also a way to solidly check Electric types and Steel types that can slip through the fingers of Drilbur. Grass types immediately come into mind because they can also check Sand teams- and the nomination of Snover shows that some of us are also thinking in this direction. However, there are some unfavorable issues about Snover that, in my opinion, does not make it the best next pokemon for the team. Its Hail is an extremely double edged sword. Sure, it defeats Sand, but the Hail also harms our own pokemon too- Tirtouga can't rely on its Sturdy as much, and it will find it tough to set up against any opponent like it can outside of Hail. The residual damage also pesters Drilbur, who already lacks recovery, has to switch into hazards repeatedly to remove them, and also has to sponge a few predicted Flash Cannons or Scalds in its conquest to destroy opposing Electric types. Snover's additional weakness to Stealth Rock only amplifies this predicament.

Going along the lines of an offensive Grass type is certainly correct- as they provide valuable resistances and coverage that this team desperately needs. However, we don't want to kill our momentum with a pokemon like Shroomish or Foongus, since they have bulk but not enough power to reliably check Magnemite / Chinchou. Instead, I would like to nominate Choice Scarf Deerling.

Deerling @ Choice Scarf
Jolly / Sap Sipper
196 Atk / 36 Def / 36 SpDef / 236 Spe
Seed Bomb / Jump Kick / Return / Nature Power

Deerling may seem crazy at first, but it has a lot of useful traits that make it an almost perfect match for the team both offensively and defensively. Offensively, it provides the team with Fighting, Grass, Normal, and Ground type coverage- hitting nearly all of our walls (Chinchou, Magnemite, Grimer, Lickitung, Bronzor, Ferroseed, Hippopotas, etc) for super effective OHKO's / 2HKOs. Seed Bomb and Jump Kick is the key- as they hit Water and Steel types quite hard, and can also be used to combat Drilbur / Hippo who lack Bug type coverage. Nature Power rounds off the coverage by nailing Electric types for super effective damage- making Deerling a good offensive check to Magnemite because it doesn't have to take more than one hit to reply back. Jump Kick is good coverage that hits Lickitung, who can pretty much wall the whole team, and orher steels such as Ferroseed or Pawniard. Return is good, powerful STAB that smacks flying types and bug types for a fair amount of damage. Defensively, Deerling also provides a lot. It's a great Sand check even without the double edged sword in Hail- and can check Drilbur and Hippopotas well and even defeat Lileep one v one, something snover can't do. Speaking of bulky Grass types, Deerling beats them all, too, because of its useful ability, Sap Sipper, which lets it wall Shroomish, Foongus, Lileep, Choice Locked Snover, and Cottonee, all of which wall Tirt / Drilly. Deerling provides us with a nice Spore / Stun Spore / Leech Seed 'sponge' that also hits very hard afterwards. Most of all, it resists Electric and Water, letting us use it to solidly help Drilbur check such pokemon.

Since this thread has been dead for a while let's get it kickstarted again. I'll update the thread with the noms tomorrow, so be sure to get your descriptions in or you might be overlooked!! (Nozzle).

Electro I will say one word to discredit your deerling, Jacob's magnemite and iss's snover TIMBURR really timbur is anti meta. Also it is a fighting type, but it beats many common threats such as the three I stated early + lileep and several other mons that are common even drillbur in sand with slight prior damage.
Note: sandshrew survives barely and manages to 2OHKO with EQ, but is less common.

There's no denying that Timburr is awesome in LC, but I just don't think it fits too well in this team because its really slow. Timburr is awesome on balanced / bulky offense but kinda slows hyper offense down.

We really need a revenge killer right now, and Timburr's unboosted mach punch only takes us so far.

As much as I love deerling, it's kind of weak without a sap sipper boost, Porygon and Lileep can avoid the 2HKO from Jump Kick, and Lickitung and Ferroseed can get around it with protect. Granted deerling isn't the most common pokemon so getting that first sap sipper boost won't be difficult, but getting a second will be tougher. It also can't really touch bronzor at all. Earthquake might not even 2HKO Grimer, etc.

Deerling is an excellent lure for Missy though, as it's 2HKO'd by Seed Bomb, so that's a plus.

Electrolyte

Wouldn't Wanna Know
Alright, time for voting!

Here are the submissions:

~Lunatic Lies's Croagunk
~iss's Snover- 7
~kingmitus's Timburr
~Shouting's Mienfoo- 2
~JacobNinja's Magnemite
~Electrolyte's Deerling
(I am omitting Nozzle's submission until he posts an actual set.)

Remember the rules!
~You MAY NOT vote for more than one pokemon!
~You MAY NOT change your vote!
~You MAY NOT vote for yourself!

Things to keep in mind:

Concept: Overwhelming Offense

Purpose: Create a team that is meant to overwhelm a specific Pokemon's checks and counters (that isn't SandMag and is thus less well checked) in order to set up a sweep for the other thing.

Description: Things are easy to wear down in this tier. I'm sure spamming Fire types or Water types or Fighting types or something can lead to some sort of sweep.

Things to Consider:
Offenses greatest nemeses, Drilbur and Murkrow
Handling the tier
BEING STRONG

Sorry not much detail...just "spam Pokemon checked by the same stuff to WIN IT VIGOROUSLY"

Murkrow @ Eviolite
Trait: Prankster
EVs: 36 HP / 236 Atk / 20 Def / 20 SpD / 188 Spe
Jolly nature
- Substitute
- Roost
- Brave Bird
- Sucker Punch

Drifloon @ Flying Gem
Trait: Unburden
EVs: 36 HP / 196 Atk / 196 Spd / 36 SAtk / 4 Def / 4 SDef
Naive Nature
- Acrobatics
- Shadow Ball
- Substitute / Hidden Power Ice / Hidden Power Fire / Hidden Power something else
- Destiny Bond

Tirtouga (M) @ Splash Plate
Trait: Sturdy
EVs: 84 HP / 212 Atk / 12 Def / 180 Spd
Adamant Nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
- Shell Smash
- Aqua Tail
- Stone Edge
- Aqua Jet

Drilbur @ Eviolite
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Rapid Spin
- Rock Slide / X-Scissor
- Stealth Rock

blarajan: +1.0
Corkscrew: +1.0
iss: +0.5

I just want to say our team is pretty weak to Scraggy and opposing Snover. I am not too concerned about that if we make Tirtouga Solid Rock...then it can only really set up on Snover locked into something stupid. Snover however is scary. One potential change to the team to fix this is making Murkrow scarfed. This is something I'm going to recommend when we make edits. Currently, i think Snover is the best.

Snover

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)