Last alien standing (warstory)

Hey everyone, this is Kidogo with my first warstory. Most of you probably don’t know me, but I play a lot of DW and wanted to share this great match I had. This was in the finals of a tournament on smogon, so I was pretty nervous. It showcases a somewhat underrated set and was a very fun battle to play. It also has been one of my closest battles, ending with one Pokémon at 5%! So without further ado, onto the battle!

Battle between [RS]Kidogo and [RS] Winning started!

Tier: Dream World OU

Mode: Singles

Rule: Unrated

Rule: Sleep Clause

Rule: Freeze Clause

Rule: Species Clause

Rule: Wifi Battle

Rule: Self-KO Clause

THE TEAMS: (sorry for no pictures, 100 pic limit :( )

My Team

Terrakion / Deoxys-s / Latias / Skarmory / Tyranitar / Excadrill

His Team
Tyranitar / Celebi / Aron / Excadrill / Rotom-w / Scizor

Well, team preview tells me we’re both running sand teams. Interestingly, his combines sand offense with volturn, which isn’t seen nearly as much in DW as it is in Standard OU. Unfortunately, my team is pretty weak to volturn, so getting stealth rock up ASAP is my top priority, so I choose you tyranitar!

[RS]Kidogo sent out Tyranitar!

[RS] Winning sent out Scizor!

Tyranitar's Sand Stream whipped up a sandstorm!

Well, that worked out…terribly. I suppose he knew I would lead with tar, as it’s a very common stealth rocker, and sent out scizor to get his chain started. I definitely don’t want to sacrifice tar, and need to get rocks up, so I’m gonna switch to save him. Skarmory is a perfect answer to scizor and will take nothing from u-turn, so skarmory it is.

Start of turn 1

[RS]Kidogo called Tyranitar back!

[RS]Kidogo sent out Skarmory!

[RS] Winning's Scizor used U-turn!

It's not very effective...

Skarmory lost 28 HP! (8% of its health)

[RS] Winning called Scizor back!

[RS] Winning sent out Rotom-W!

The sandstorm rages!

[RS] Winning's Rotom-W is buffeted by the sandstorm!

[RS] Winning's Rotom-W restored a little HP using its Leftovers!

(100%) -->
(92%)
(100%) -->
(100%)

Of course, skarmory is total rotom-w bait. Skarmory is way too valuable to sacrifice, so I’m gonna have to switch out again. Although I could go to excadrill on the predicted volt switch, I saw leftovers so unfortunately it’s not choiced, meaning I would have to switch out right after. Instead, I’ll go to my rotom-w check, latias. Now, this may seem like a perfect invitation for scizor to switch in and continue the chain, but my latias carries the unusual Hidden Power [fire], so I should hopefully be able to both break his volturn chain and nab a surprise KO here.

Start of turn 2

[RS]Kidogo called Skarmory back!

[RS]Kidogo sent out Latias!

[RS] Winning's Rotom-W used Volt Switch!

Latias lost 33 HP! (9% of its health)

[RS] Winning called Rotom-W back!

[RS] Winning sent out Aron!

The sandstorm rages!

Latias is buffeted by the sandstorm!

Latias restored a little HP using its Leftovers!

(92%) -->
(91%)
(100%) -->
(100)

Well, I feel like I’m in a spy movie or something, where no matter what I, the courageous hero, do, he, the ruthless enemy, is always one step ahead. He got to the crazy nuclear weapons scientist before I did, then made it though the airport checkpoint just before I got up to him, and now he’s about to go and blow something up or whatever the villains usually want to do. And I, the heroic defender of justice, am powerless to stop him.

Or something like that. More specifically, he didn’t bring in scizor, as I had planned. I’m really not sure what to do here. I’m trying to track down the legendary golden city, and there’s not even some ancient artifact written in the lost language that my mother just happens to be an expert on (national treasure anyone?). What I mean is, I don’t really know what to do here. I haven’t fought many aron, but I know its general endeavor + shell bell strategy. I make a huge mistake here, mistakenly thinking that leftovers will activate before sandstorm, and decide to paralyze the aron and then stall it out with recover on latias.

Start of turn 3

Latias used Thunder Wave!

[RS] Winning's Aron is paralyzed! It may be unable to move!

[RS] Winning's Aron used Endeavor!

Latias lost 307 HP! (87% of its health)

The sandstorm rages!

Latias is buffeted by the sandstorm!

Latias fainted!

(fainted)
(100%, paralyzed)

And I realize my mistake. I’m really in trouble here. Not only am I down a Pokémon and he’s untouched, but I’ve lost my best volturn check. I decide that, since volturn will wear me down pretty quickly, getting rocks up is my top priority. I go to ttar, who also has the bonus of not taking SS damage and thus not dying immediately to aron.

Start of turn 4

Tyranitar used Stealth Rock!

Pointed stones float in the air around [RS] Winning's team!

Tyranitar lost 387 HP! (96% of its health)

The sandstorm rages!

(4%)
(100%, paralyzed), stealth rock

All right, that turn went as expected. Now, my ttar carries stealth rock, crunch, pursuit, and superpower. Any of my attacking moves would easily KO aron, so superpower would just lower my stats unnecessarily, and I doubt he would switch out given that I have rocks up, rendering his aron next to useless, so I’ll just go for the crunch.

Start of turn 5

[RS] Winning called Aron back!

Pointed stones dug into [RS] Winning's Scizor!

Tyranitar used Crunch!

[RS] Winning's Scizor lost 20% of its health!

The sandstorm rages!

(4%)
(100%, paralyzed) -->
(68%), stealth rock

In hindsight, I guess I should have used pursuit there, just in case he switched. Even superpower would have worked out better. One thing this does tell me though is that his excadrill is pretty much guaranteed to have rapid spin, as otherwise there would be no reason to save aron. That means skarmory will probably have an easier job walling it, if it should come down to that. At this point though, I’m really in trouble. I figure ttar may come in handy later, especially as he doesn’t have any hazards up, so I’ll save him and go to skarmory to take the hit.

Start of turn 6

[RS]Kidogo called Tyranitar back!

[RS] Winning's Scizor used U-turn!

A critical hit!

Skarmory lost 63 HP! (18% of its health)

[RS] Winning called Scizor back!

[RS] Winning sent out Excadrill!

Pointed stones dug into [RS] Winning's Excadrill!

[RS] Winning's Excadrill is floating on a balloon!

The sandstorm rages!

(4%) -->
(74%)
(68%) -->
(97%), stealth rock

Well, this confirms my suspicion that excadrill is a rapid spinner. There’s nothing I can do to stop him from spinning my rocks away, so I’ll just try to rack up some damage on excadrill, as getting him down will be critical in order to get some hazards down to try to stop this volturn chain.

Start of turn 7

[RS] Winning's Excadrill used Rapid Spin!

Skarmory lost 7 HP! (2% of its health)

[RS] Winning's Excadrill blew away Stealth Rock!

Skarmory used Brave Bird!

[RS] Winning's Excadrill lost 22% of its health!

Skarmory is hit with recoil!

[RS] Winning's Excadrill's Air Balloon popped!

The sandstorm rages!

(67%)
(75%)

Well, a switch is almost guaranteed here. I could brave bird again, but rotom is almost certainly coming in and that won’t do much against him. I could whirlwind, but as I now have no hazards up that would be pointless, so I’ll jus use this turn to lay some spikes, preventing him from volturning too much and guaranteeing another 12% on excadrill.

Start of turn 8

[RS] Winning called Excadrill back!

Skarmory used Spikes!

Spikes were scattered all around the feet of [RS] Winning's team!

The sandstorm rages!

(67%)
(75%) -->
(100%), spikes

Well, he did bring rotom in, but I’m now stumped. I could go to excadrill on the predicted volt switch, but I have no one to take the hydro pump afterwards now that latias is gone. All right, I guess this is a good time to make use of my death fodder. Sorry tar, it’s your time.

Start of turn 9

Tyranitar lost 12 HP! (3% of its health)

Tyranitar fainted!

[RS] Winning sent out Celebi!

[RS] Winning's Celebi is hurt by spikes!

The sandstorm rages!

[RS] Winning's Celebi is buffeted by the sandstorm!

[RS] Winning's Celebi restored a little HP using its Leftovers!

[RS]Kidogo sent out Terrakion!

Terrakion is floating on a balloon!

(67%) -->
(fainted) -->
(100%)
(100%) -->
(88%), spikes

So he brings out celebi for the first time. Celebi is gonna be a real problem to take down since neither of my main sweepers can get a super-effective hit on it, and celebi even resists excadrill’s main stab. At this point, I’m hoping I can sacrifice terrakion, one part of my offensive core, to hopefully weaken his defensive one. I run a double dancer, although setting up would be silly with scizor still around. The best I can do is SD and go for a kill, possibly coming back later to RP and attempt a sweep.

Start of turn 10

Terrakion used Swords Dance!

Terrakion's Attack sharply rose!

[RS] Winning's Celebi used Giga Drain!

It's super effective!

Terrakion lost 176 HP! (54% of its health)

Terrakion had its energy drained!

Terrakion's Air Balloon popped!

The sandstorm rages!

(46%, +2 attack)
(100%), spikes

Wow…that did WAY more than I expected (terrakion is surprisingly bulky, especially with the SS boost). I guess that means this is an offensive celebi. Unfortunately, I won’t be able to survive another hit, but I’m pretty sure this also means he won’t be able to take a +2 stone edge either. Regardless, something is going down now!

Start of turn 11

[RS] Winning called Celebi back!

[RS] Winning sent out Tyranitar!

[RS] Winning's Tyranitar is hurt by spikes!

Terrakion used Stone Edge!

The attack of Terrakion missed!

The sandstorm rages!

[RS] Winning's Tyranitar restored a little HP using its Leftovers!
(46%, +2 attack)
(100%) -->
(93%), spikes

Well…it missed. Fortunately, he brought in a Pokémon slower than terrakion, meaning I can just go for the CC now. Unfortunately, his darn celebi is still alive and unharmed, meaning it will be a pain to take down later.

Start of turn 12

Terrakion used Close Combat!

It's super effective!

[RS] Winning's Tyranitar lost 93% of its health!

[RS] Winning's Tyranitar fainted!

Terrakion's Defense fell!

Terrakion's Sp. Def. fell!

The sandstorm rages!

[RS] Winning's Excadrill is hurt by spikes!

(46%, +2 attack)
(fainted) -->
(63%), spikes

Well, I got my first kill! Of course, it was also on a Pokémon OHKOed by both my set-up sweepers, deoxys, and tyranitar…but still a kill! At this point, I’m really not sure what to do. Terrakion doesn’t quite have the health to set-up again and attempt a sweep later, so I figure I might just have to sac him. Well, I can always hope. Maybe he’ll predict a switch to skarm and go for the rapid spin?

Start of turn 13

[RS] Winning's Excadrill used Earthquake!

It's super effective!

Terrakion lost 148 HP! (45% of its health)

Terrakion fainted!

The sandstorm rages!

(fainted) -->
(67%)
(63%), spikes

Guess not. I guess it was pretty obvious I wouldn’t switch, as terrakion was pretty much fodder at that point. It’s pretty likely he’s going to use rapid spin again, as those spikes really hinder his volturn strategy as well as aron. Accordingly, I’ll just brave bird to try and get some more damage on his spinner. Yeah, I’m really grasping at straws here.

Start of turn 14

Skarmory lost 8 HP! (2% of its health)

[RS] Winning's Excadrill blew away Spikes!

Skarmory used Brave Bird!

[RS] Winning's Excadrill lost 25% of its health!

Skarmory is hit with recoil!

(51%)
(37%)

The sandstorm rages!
He’s pretty much guaranteed to switch now. At this point, things are looking terrible for me. It’s 3-5, I’ve lost my only switch-in to rotom, have no hazards up, and have no control of the momentum. If I’m going to have any chance of winning this game, I need to make a plan right now and execute it perfectly. Well, I doubt excadrill is gonna be able to sweep, given celebi and rotom which it probably can’t even 2HKO. Skarm’s not gonna be sweeping for obvious reasons, so my only hope lies in deoxys. I run a mixed offensive set with superpower / psycho boost / ice beam / hidden power [fire]. In this situation, this set is my best hope, as it can 1HKO everything on his team except for celebi, which it 2HKOs with ice beam, and rotom, which psycho boost barely misses the KO on if it’s a bulky spread, which it seems to be. Right now though, it seems likely he will go to rotom to fire off another volt switch. I could go for spikes, but that would mean sacrificing someone, something I absolutely cannot afford at this point. So I’ll go to deoxys, which can at least threaten rotom and hopefully make it switch out.

Start of turn 15

[RS]Kidogo sent out Deoxys-S!

Deoxys-S is exerting its Pressure!

The sandstorm rages!

Deoxys-S is buffeted by the sandstorm!

(51%) --> (93%)
(37%) -->
(100%, paralyzed)

Unfortunately, he doesn’t do that…and instead goes to aron. Great, now something will be brought down to 12 HP. Oh well, skarm, you’re immune to sandstorm and might find a time to roost later, I’ll go back to you.

Start of turn 16

[RS]Kidogo called Deoxys-S back!

[RS] Winning's Aron is paralyzed! It can't move!

The sandstorm rages!

(93%) -->
(51%)
(100%, paralyzed)

I catch a lucky break here with the full paralyze, the only remnant of latias’s short time in this battle. Since volturn is going to destroy me, spikes is once again the best option to try and wear him down.

Start of turn 17

Skarmory used Spikes!

Skarmory lost 159 HP! (47% of its health)

The sandstorm rages!

(3%)
(100%, paralyzed), spikes

Well, I’m not really sure what to do. Excadrill is probably coming in to spin away those spikes, so I should get more health…but then, I have to remember, each time rotom comes in on skarm is a free kill for him, meaning maybe I should switch to deoxys…even though he can’t OHKO him…yeah, I’m that desperate. Well, my opponent has been very conservative so far this game, bringing in exca to spin instead of just volturning. So I’ll rely on his doing the same now, and roost up to some good health.

Start of turn 18

[RS] Winning called Aron back!

Skarmory used Roost!

Skarmory landed on the ground!

Skarmory regained health!

The sandstorm rages!

(53%)
(100%, paralyzed), -->
(100%), spikes

#@^#UO^&@. My mantra for the past few turns has been “don’t allow rotom any free switches against skarm, and look what I just gave it. Someone is guaranteed to die now, and with three pokes left this will leave me crippled no matter who I sacrifice. I almost wonder if there’s still a point trying…oh well, guess I should stick it out till the very end. Anyway, what to do? No one on my team can survive a hydro pump, which he has probably noticed, so he’ll probably do that…but then again, he has been very cautious so far this game, so he might just go for volt switch. In that case, excadrill gets a free switch in, even if I have to take the hpump afterwards.

Start of turn 19

[RS]Kidogo sent out Excadrill!

It had no effect!

The sandstorm rages!

(53%) -->
(100%)
(100%), spikes

Well, he did use volt switch, so I have a spark of hope. If I can flinchax rotom to death with rock slide, I might have a chance to win this game! What, you were expecting an actual plan? Or even something with more than a 2.9 % chance of succeeding? Yeah…I’m in trouble.

Start of turn 20

Excadrill used Rock Slide!

[RS] Winning's Rotom-W lost 45% of its health!

Excadrill is hurt by its Life Orb!

[RS] Winning's Rotom-W used Hydro Pump!

It's super effective!

Excadrill lost 325 HP! (90% of its health)

Excadrill fainted!

The sandstorm rages!

Well, I guess that was silly to hope for. Rock slide does a measly 45% (coming off of 405 attack not factoring life orb), confirming that this is indeed a bulky spread. The score is now 2-5, and not in my favor. I don’t think I have ever had a game where I was this far behind and managed to pull off a win. Again, I almost think about giving it up…but something stops me. All right. At least with excadrill’s sacrifice, rotom is now actually in deoxys’s kill range, and I’d never switch skarm into rotom regardless, so deoxys it is.

(fainted) --> (93%)
(54%), spikes

Well, he’s probably going to switch, so psycho boost might not be the best option…but then again, he doesn't know if this is an attacker variety, or if I can KO rotom, so he might just stay in, and deoxys is the one thing I absolutely CANNOT afford to lose, so psycho boost it is.

Start of turn 21

[RS] Winning's Aron is hurt by spikes!

Deoxys-S used Psycho Boost!

[RS] Winning's Aron lost 91% of its health!

[RS] Winning's Aron fainted!

Deoxys-S's Sp. Att. sharply fell!

Deoxys-S is hurt by its Life Orb!

The sandstorm rages!

FUCK SHIT STACK is watching the battle.

[RS] Winning's Scizor is hurt by spikes!

(78%, -2 SpA)
(54%) -->
(fainted) -->
(55%), spikes

Well, he makes a good move and sacrifices aron. It was just an invitation for skarm to come in, and he could just heal off afterwards, and with the spikes it was almost useless. However, he now sends in scizor. This gives me a ray of hope. If he had sent in rotom, he would have won, as -2 psycho boost wouldn’t have made the KO given his health. Nevertheless, scizor absolutely has the potential to finish me off here. If he bullet punches deoxys, I’m dead. But if he u-turns as I switch to skarm, I’m dead again, since rotom can just volt switch me to death. However, he doesn’t know I have HP [fire], as many deoxys carry thunderbolt or shadow ball over it. He has played pretty conservatively so far this match, but that thinking got me into trouble last time. Either way, if I make the wrong prediction here I’m dead, but…I think HP [fire] is the right move.

Start of turn 22

Deoxys-S used Hidden Power!

It's super effective!

[RS] Winning's Scizor lost 55% of its health!

[RS] Winning's Scizor fainted!

Well, I’m extremely relieved that I predicted that one correctly, that just made this game a bit easier to win.

The sandstorm rages!

(61%, -2 SpA)
(fainted) -->
(24%), spikes

He sent out excadrill though, who I’m glad to see instead of rotom, even though it outspeeds deoxys and easily finishes him off with eq. This is starting to make me wonder if perhaps his rotom is a physically defensive variant, such that a -2 psycho boost would in fact finish it off at this point. That would explain why he’s not switching it into deoxys directly. The second reason I’m happy is because, as you will see, spikes damage ends up being crucial in this game, and it’s always nice to rack up some more. At this point though, I’m not sure what to do. True, he could go for the eq, but he might also predict my switch to skarm and go to rotom, meaning game over. However…he’s played conservatively all match, only just breaking from his pattern. So now, I’m guessing he’ll try to double-bluff me and do the predictable play, meaning so should I. That makes sense…right?

Start of turn 23

[RS] Winning's Excadrill used Frustration!

Skarmory lost 37 HP! (11% of its health)

The sandstorm rages!

(61%, -2 SpA) -->
(42%)
(24%), spikes

Well, I did predict right that he just attacked there. It is interesting that he used frustration though, as if he almost did predict my switch. Although, frustration was probably a better overall move, as it would have still finished deoxys (or brought him into LO + sand kill range) as well as still doing some damage to skarm. And actually…skarm is at pretty low health now, just low enough that I’d be tempted to roost…which would give rotom a perfect switch-in, which was perhaps his plan all along. Given this, I’m going back to deoxys.

Start of turn 24

The sandstorm rages!

(42%) --> (55%)
(24%) -->
(54%), spikes

Well, that worked as expected. Yet again, I’m not sure what to do though. He has rotom, excadrill, and that darned celebi I tried to get rid of earlier in the match. While I could just go for the psycho boost, which would take down rotom and excadrill if it switched in for some reason, I have a feeling he’s going to go to celebi. Furthermore, deoxys is at dangerously low health, so I can’t afford to waste an attack. Given that, I’m going to go with ice beam to try and catch the celebi switch-in.

Start of turn 25

[RS] Winning sent out Celebi!

[RS] Winning's Celebi is hurt by spikes!

Deoxys-S used Ice Beam!

It's super effective!

[RS] Winning's Celebi lost 56% of its health!

The sandstorm rages!

(38%)
(54%) -->
(31%), spikes

I get a satisfying hit on it, putting it easily in KO range for another ice beam. I doubt he’ll try to save it at this point since it’s pretty close to dead, although LO recoil is really hurting deo at this point so I can’t afford a mispredict. Whatever, I’ll just go for another ice beam.

Start of turn 26

Deoxys-S used Ice Beam!

It's super effective!

A critical hit!

[RS] Winning's Celebi lost 31% of its health!

[RS] Winning's Celebi fainted!

The sandstorm rages!

(22%)
(fainted) -->
(11%), spikes

Taking celebi down was a huge step, and victory is almost in reach. It’s still anyone’s game though. Excadrill had around 24%, 12.5% of which was just taken off by the spikes. If he attacks with excadrill and I stay in with deoxys, he wins. If I switch to skarmory, I win, as excadrill can’t afford to come in again given the spikes. If he switches to rotom while I go to skarm, all he has to do is hpump skarmory and let rotom die to deoxys, with deoxys dying from it’s LO + sand recoil, winning with excadrill despite its inability to switch in again. But if he switches to rotom while I attack with deoxys, I win. So it all comes down to this. I decide that he will once again go with the predictable move as he has most of the match, playing off the fact that I’ve been very risky with deoxys, so he might expect me to play riskily with it again. I type my thoughts in the chat, only to be surprised at his response:

[RS]Kidogo: ok

[RS]Kidogo: here we go

[RS]Kidogo: if you kill deo

[RS]Kidogo: you win

[RS]Kidogo: if I switch to skarm I win

[RS] Winning: heh

[RS]Kidogo: but if you switch to rotom while I switch to skarm

[RS]Kidogo: you win

[RS] Winning: i win

[RS] Winning: or i just win lol

[RS]Kidogo: but if you switch to rotom while I stay in with deo

[RS]Kidogo: i win

[RS]Kidogo: huh

[RS] Winning: watch

[RS]Kidogo: 4 possibilities

[RS]Kidogo: uh oh

[RS]Kidogo: you win either wy?

He has obviously thought if something I haven’t which is making me very nervous, especially since I don’t have the slightest idea what it could be. Regardless, I’m sticking with my decision.

Start of turn 27

Skarmory lost 8 HP! (2% of its health)

[RS] Winning's Excadrill blew away Spikes!

The sandstorm rages!

(22%) -->
(40%)
(11%)

I see now. That was actually a really good move on his part, as rapid spin actually would have done enough to finish off deoxys if I had stayed in, while giving him leeway to switch back in with exca. This way, even if I predict his rotom switch and go to deoxys, he’ll just go to exca, letting it die and deoxys faint to LO + SS, and finish off skarm with rotom. I’m just typing in “gg” when I realize something. He probably thinks I’ll either brave bird to finish exca or switch to deoxys. Either way, the best switch would be to rotom. But that means…I look very closely at excadrill’s HP bar. It says 11%, and I see a glimmer of hope. I’m not sure if this will work though, and he might even have thought of this, so for now I’ll act like I’m certain he’s won (which he may very well have).

[RS]Kidogo: oh

[RS]Kidogo: uh oh

[RS]Kidogo: oh darn

[RS]Kidogo: gg lol

[RS] Winning: gg

Start of turn 28

Skarmory used Spikes!

The sandstorm rages!

(40%)
(11%) -->
(54%), spikes

So I made my move, predicting his switch. All that’s left to do is trust that the damage display was right and hope…

Start of turn 29

It's super effective!

Skarmory lost 134 HP! (40% of its health)

Skarmory fainted!

[RS] Winning's Excadrill fainted!

The sandstorm rages!

[RS]Kidogo: omg

[RS]Seed Bomb.: shittt

[RS] Winning: noooooooo

FUCK SHIT STACK: dayum

Those comments pretty much sum it up. My heart was beating at a million miles an hour there. I also got totally scared when he sent excadrill out, as its HP display had somehow changed from 11% to 12%, but it ended up fainting to spikes by less than 1%. Guess that residual damage earlier in the game was pretty important, huh? All that’s left to do now is hope psycho boost hits!

(fainted) --> (22%)
(54%) -->
(fainted) -->
(54%), spikes

Start of turn 30

Deoxys-S used Psycho Boost!

[RS] Winning's Rotom-W lost 54% of its health!

[RS] Winning's Rotom-W fainted!

Deoxys-S's Sp. Att. sharply fell!

[RS]Kidogo won the battle!

[RS]Kidogo: wow

[RS] Winning: great game

[RS]Kidogo: most intense battle of my life

[RS]Kidogo: yeah, really gg

[RS]Kidogo: :)

[RS] Winning: :)

End Result:
(5%)
(fainted)

And that’s the match! Although I played horribly early on, I think I redeemed myself somewhat in the endgame. This was one of the closest games I’ve ever had, and probably the most fun, with lots of predicts, not too many silly plays, and some long-term planning. Thanks a lot Winning for a great game!

alamaster

hello
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
Interesting warstory, you got outplayed quite a bit but then he kinda choked in the end. If I was him I would've just gone for the Rock Slide flinch hax on Skarm to victory heh. Spikes so strong!

I give this story 4 creepy reaction faces out of 5 because it was a nice battle and its DW so yay!

This was a really brilliant read. Thanks for bringing a warstory into DW! (I've really got to do one). I was certain that you'd lose, you lost all momentum in the beginning and Aron royally screwed over two over your Pokemon. Your comeback was most intriuging, the way you used Spikes in such a daring manner there at the end was incredible. Kudos to your opponent too, I must say that he played excellently throughout the battle, keeping you on your toes. 85%

Wonderful warstory, and I'm especially glad to see one from DW! Like Cherub said, the way you used Spikes at the end was incredible. Props to your opponent as well. 9/10

Nix_Hex

Uangaana kasuttortunga!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I had a lot of fun reading this! I was hoping that since you paralyzed Aron, you'd try to wait for it to lose to parahax and die, but you kept your hazards up valiantly. Man, I would never have had the patience to keep setting up as much as you did. Good job!

Agreeing with everything said above. I was surprised you managed to keep your cool; most people would have just attacked with Skarmory instead of thinking to lay Spikes and defeat Excadrill on the switch in. That was a great move, and you were able to pull it out right on time when it looked like all was lost. Keep em coming! I enjoy good warstories :)

I really liked the warstory, and how you played at the end, though I don't really like how the only reason you were able to make up for your really bad playing in the beginning was that your opponent made a lot of mistakes at the end.

Rotom-W using Volt Switch turn 19 was a terrible move, sending in Scizor as opposed to Rotom-W against Deoxys-S turn 21 was dumb (252 -2 SpAtk Life Orb Deoxys-S Psycho Boost vs 0 HP/0 SpDef Rotom-W: 47.3% - 55.19%) so even min bulk most likely would have survived, not using Bullet Punch with Scizor there probably wasn't his best choice (he had to be Banded to do 8% to Skarmory with U-Turn, and Band Bullet Punch OHKOes Deoxys-S from that range)...etc.

It was a great warstory and it's cool that managed to pull off a win. But you only pulled it off because your opponent messed up a bunch, and that turned me off a bit (same with your ton of mistakes in the beginning...Terrakion was NOT fodder at that point, Sandstream ==> Leftovers, etc).

I'm sorry for these comments, as I did really enjoy your warstory, and really enjoyed the commentary. I just don't think the game was nearly as good as you or everyone else was making it.

Thanks for the comments everyone!

@blarajan
Honestly, I agree with you on pretty much everything you said. I played badly in the beginning, and my opponent made a lot of mistakes in the endgame. I do think there are a couple factors that perhaps make the mistakes less terrible than they may appear though.
First of all, in defense of my opponent, I am sure that, from around halfway through the game, he was certain of having the game won (I felt much the same tbh). And while some of his moves were perhaps not the best, none of them were bad--if I had switched to skarmory while he bullet punched with scizor, I would have just gained the momentum while simultaneously removing the stat drops on deoxys, which is what I'm sure he expected me to do. U-turn thus was a totally logical move, even if it didn't end up being the best option. About rotom vs. scizor switch-in--again, he was in the winning psychology, not sure he saw it as making a difference, and few people do damage calcs during a battle--it's not ridiculous to think that LO psycho boost will do 108% to rotom, and in fact his way could perhaps have guaranteed the win, instead of leaving it up to RNG for the damage roll. Mostly, I think you're very right that there were mistakes, but I really don't think any of them are inexcusable or even that bad, particularly when viewed in battle mentality. To use a cliche, hey, hindsight is perfect, right?

jrrrrrrr

wubwubwub
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Awesome match, everyone here is talking about Spikes but let's be real: that Ice Beam prediction on Celebi was nasty and completely won the game for you. Great play.

Thanks a lot for the positive feedback guys! :D And j7r, you might be right about the ice beam predict there, celebi was a huge threat to me throughout the battle. Thanks again for the comments!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)