LC Larvesta (QC 1/1) (GP 1/1)

Altariel von Sweep

They Who Laugh Last
is a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Larvesta @ Eviolite
Ability: Flame Body
Level: 5
EVs: 76 HP / 236 Def / 156 SpD / 36 Spe
Impish Nature
- Will-O-Wisp
- Morning Sun
- Flare Blitz
- U-turn

Larvesta is a decent bulky pivot that can switch onto most of the Fighting- and Grass-types and Pawniard thanks to its typing and Flame Body, which gives it more utility to take advantage of along with U-turn and a decent recovery in Morning Sun. Given that many Pokémon will try to avoid contact making contact, Will-O-Wisp makes up for it by spreading burns to physical Pokemon. Due to its crippling 4x weakness to Stealth Rock, hazard removal is necessary to make it work, thus Staryu and Vullaby being good partners. Due to its defensive capabilities, trappers such as Alolan Grimer and Diglett appreciate the momentum it generates by switching them in safely with a slow U-turn. Larvesta makes a good fit for VoltTurn teams so pairing it with Magnemite is a good idea; Magnemite also KOes Flying-types, which Larvesta struggles with. Lastly, Rock- and Water-types such as Onix and Tirtouga give it a hard time, which means partners such as Snivy and Foongus make for good teammates by removing them.

Last edited:

Coconut

W
is a Top Social Media Contributoris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Tutor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnus
LC Leader
Due to its crippling 4x weakness to Stealth Rock, hazard control is necesary to make it work, thus being Snivy and Vullaby good partners which remove it.
Can we put Staryu here over Snivy? I think if we're calling it hazard control, we should use both. And we mention Snivy again later.

Magnemite is a good idea, as it lets it deal with Flying-types
Mag doesn't really "beat" Flying types, it more KOs them.

Nice work!

QC 1/1

Eyan

sleep is the cousin of death
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
GP 1/1
Larvesta @ Eviolite
Ability: Flame Body
Level: 5
EVs: 76 HP / 236 Def / 156 SpD / 36 Spe
Impish Nature
- Will-O-Wisp
- Morning Sun
- Flare Blitz
- U-turn

Larvesta is a decent bulky pivot that can switch onto most of the Fighting-, (rc) and Grass-types and Pawniard (the different types are treated as a single entity here) thanks to its typing and Flame Body, which gives it more utility to abuse (negative connotation) take advantage of along with U-turn and a decent form of recovery in Morning Sun. Given that many Pokémon will try to switch without making contact, Will-O-Wisp makes up for it by spreading burns to physical Pokemon (is it purely for physical Pokemon? From your sentence, the ones avoiding contact are the ones getting burned, but they're the ones switching out, unless I'm misinterpreting) that try to avoid it. Due to its crippling 4x weakness to Stealth Rock, hazard control removal (hazard control refers to both setting and removal) is necesary necessary to make it work, thus being Staryu and Vullaby being good partners which remove it. Due to its defensive capabilities, trappers such as Alolan Grimer and Diglett appreciate the momentum it generates by switching them in safely with a slow U-turn. Larvesta makes a good fit for VoltTurn teams, so pairing it with Magnemite is a good idea,; (comma -> semicolon) as it Magnemite also KOes Flying-types, which Larvesta struggles with (the original sentence is basically saying "Because Larvesta fits on VoltTurn teams, pairing it with Magnemite is good, because it KOes Flying-types", which doesn't flow well). Lastly, Rock- and Water-types such as Onix and Tirtouga give it a hard time, which means partners such as Snivy or and Foongus fit make for good teammates by removing them.

Coconut

W
is a Top Social Media Contributoris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Tutor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnus
LC Leader
(is it purely for physical Pokemon? From your sentence, the ones avoiding contact are the ones getting burned, but they're the ones switching out, unless I'm misinterpreting)
Don't normally read over everything after it moves to GP but I caught this so I might as well point out what I interpreted it as...

Spreading burns in LC isn't quite like other tiers, as the only real benefit is the attack drop because the HP lost is minuscule. When he said it spreads burns to physical mons, it only really wants to burn things that are avoiding making contact with it or nailing a switch in. If you burn a special attack oriented mon, you're almost always better off using another move instead.

Eyan

sleep is the cousin of death
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Don't normally read over everything after it moves to GP but I caught this so I might as well point out what I interpreted it as...

Spreading burns in LC isn't quite like other tiers, as the only real benefit is the attack drop because the HP lost is minuscule. When he said it spreads burns to physical mons, it only really wants to burn things that are avoiding making contact with it or nailing a switch in. If you burn a special attack oriented mon, you're almost always better off using another move instead.
Thanks for the clarification! If there the case, I'd change it to just "Given that many Pokémon will try to avoid making contact, Will-O-Wisp makes up for it by spreading burns to physical Pokémon". Right now it really does sound like wisp is only useful for when something switches out, which obviously isn't the case.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)