Lanturn...Returns? Aharharhar...

Introduction

Yay, Smogon finally opened up 5th Gen RMTs.

Well, it's about time I got into the competitive B/W battling scene. After exploring the awesomeness of the new Smogon PO server, I do think it is time for a formal RMT. This team lacks a name, I'll probably put something corny and unwitty in the title, but it does feature one of my favorite Pokemon of all time; Lanturn. Let's get started.

Team Building Process

I went ahead and built this team around the common Fire / Grass / Water concept. Now, this was completely at personal preference. Here's the result:

Now I need a Special Attacker. Preferably one immune to ground and fighting (two weaknesses at this point).

While debating whether to use an Attacking set or a SubSplit set, I went ahead with a Specs for some raw power but to be honest, it has only been doing sub-par.

Now, what good team doesn't have a dragon? (don't lie!) Let's add this new bad boy.

Ononokusu is like Garchomp but without the 4x weakness to Ice PLUS Dragon Dance. All that's left is something that can set up some hazards while walling physical moves. Let's go with a steel type.

I was considering Nattorei for this spot, but Skarmory is a lot better at luring out electric attacks that can be absorbed by Lanturn. And viola! My team was born.

In Depth Look

Erufuun (M) @ Leftovers Trait: Mischievous Heart
EVs: 48 HP / 210 Def / 252 SpDef
Impish Nature (+Def, -SAtk)
- Taunt
- U-turn
- Leech Seed
- Substitute

Everyone's favorite fluffy sheep-like annoying lead! This set is here to effectively annoy the opponent right off the bat. Taunt leads that want to set up, or throw some seeds at offensive ones. Then proceed to sub up over and over while simultaneously draining the other Pokemon's HP. U-turn out of unfavorable situations. I do love this set, and it comes in handy sometimes during late game situations as well, getting that final taunt or leech seed up. And he's cute :3 The EV investment I find is very standard. I maxed out HP and speed to utilize the SubSeed strategy for max aggravation. Although most moves on this set get Mischeivous Heart's boost, U-turn doesn't, which is why I maxed out speed and put the remaining EVs in attack. EDIT:

I don't really see the point of using a positive speed nature on Erufuun as the only thing that it provides any help against most of the time is the Genies and for the occasional U-turn. This spread gives Erufuun a defensive spread of 273/283/249, which is respectable enough for a Subseeder. An HP stat of 273 gives Erufuun a Leftovers number, to maximize recovery, and give Erufuun a lower HP in order to maximize Leech Seed recovery. The rest is put into defenses in order to increase Erufuun's survivability.
Tested and works beautifully, thank you Ditto.

Gengar (M) @ Choice Scarf
Trait: Levitate
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
Modest Nature (+Spd, -Atk)
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Giga Drain
- Shadow Ball
- Focus Blast

Well considering this is a whole new Gengar, I should probably write a new description. Here you have an all out attacker Gengar, and it has been a lot more effective as an attacker than the previously used Tricker. The likes of Swampert never see Giga Drain coming, nor do the likes of Shadow Tag Shandara see my Scarf coming early in the game. After much testing, I've decided this is the best choice of Gengar for this team.

Rotom-W (M) @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 168 SDef / 88 Speed
Calm Nature (+SDef, -Atk)
- Hydro Pump
- Thunderbolt / Discharge
- Will-O-Wisp
- Pain Split

Still debating Ditto or Heero's set. Trying Ditto's first. After testing both sets, Ditto's worked best. Rotom-W serves as my special defensively bulky Pokemon, with excellent typing. Pain Split and Will-o-Wisp have been working wonders for not only Rotom, but for the whole team. Does not mind Jolteon as much as I thought it would, plus grants me another Ground immunity that crippled Lanturn.

Skarmory (M) @ Leftovers
Trait: Sturdy
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SDef
- Spikes
- Whirlwind
- Roost
- Brave Bird

Well look how original this is! That's right, copied right off of Smogon website is quite possibly the most standard Skarmory set ever created. This metallic bird serves as my defensive wall. Stealth Rock is appreciated by this team, while Whirlwind is useful for those Pesky Roopushins or anyone else who wants to set up. Skarmory also serves for my Breloom check. Considering changing this out for Nattorei though this likes to lure thunderbolts. I need opinions on this. Shed shell for Shandara.

Ononokusu (M) @ Lum Berry
Trait: Mold Breaker
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spd
Jolly Nature (+Spd, -SAtk)
- Dragon Dance
- Outrage
- Earthquake
- Brick Break

Oh do I love this guy. Ononokusu serves as a wonderful late game sweeper, boasting a huge attack stat and access to Dragon Dance. This set looks pretty standard; no nitpicks of any kind. Nearly flawless coverage, and a Jolly nature to give it that little "kick" makes this guy a very scary threat to many teams. If I had to get rid of one move, it would be Brick Break. The unstabbed base 75 fighting move barely 2HKOs max defense Blissey after a Dragon Dance, often forcing me to lock myself into Outrage. Lum Berry seemed like the most effective choice, considering I'm not bulky enough to benefit from leftover, nor have enough HP to safely use Life Orb (not that he needs the extra power anyway). Lum Berry immediately sets me up for another Outrage rampage after healing confusion, but can also negate the effects of paralysis or burn trying to slow me down. All in all, I can say this set has been very effective.

Infernape (M) @ Life Orb
Trait: Iron Fist
- Fire Punch
- Swords Dance
- Mach Punch
- ThunderPunch

Last, but definitely not least, is Infernape. This lovely swords dancer gets a welcome boost from Iron Fist, strangely enough is my only Pokemon with a Dream World ability, however it is a set I've wanted to try out and has so far worked beautifully. Life Orb is there for that boost stack on effect. I went with Mach Punch because I needed priority. Plus its new 48 base power + STAB + Life Orb is very menacing all on its own. Fire Punch was a must have, Thunder Punch is there for water coverage and hitting an unsuspecting Gyarados hard (OHKO actually). I guess you could say this set packs quite the *puts sunglasses on* punch? YEEEEAAAAAAHHHHH!

Previous Team Members

Lanturn (M) @ Leftovers
Trait: Volt Absorb
EVs: 40 HP / 76 Def / 140 SAtk / 252 SDef
- Surf
- Thunderbolt
- Thunder Wave
- Ice Beam

Lanturn <333 Anyway, here you have my bff, Lanturn, taking the role of a specially bulky electricity sponge. Lanturn has become a huge asset and helper to my team, absorbing electric moves and outdoing previous ubers (Latios, and Deoxys formes don't stand a chance) and at the same time providing much needed Thunder Wave support. Also very effective in the sense that no one sees him coming (I haven't seen much of him). Although not having an enormous Special Attack stat, Lanturn does hit relatively hard, especially against the aforementioned Latios, who is down after 3 Ice Beams (2 with rocks up).

Although I love Lanturn, he wasn't making the cut. Now replaced with Rotom-W.

Conclusion

Well then, that about does it. Thank you for reading, and please, be harsh in your rate! Changes will be made in bold.

Sincerely,

you should consider wash rotom instead of lanturn

here try this set
rotom-w

252/120spc/136 dfe

moveset:
hydro pump
wil-o-wisp
voltchange/discharge
toxic/hidden power ice

rotom is bulkier has no ground weakness and can potentially cripple physical attackers that can molest your team when skarmory is gone since iron fist rohbushin and scizor will potentially dick rape you team

also you may want to consider gengar too nasty plot darkrai and ononokusu to scarf chomp perfect revenge killer for a team like this

You forgot one thing; why?
ooops man in a hurry sorry

you should consider wash rotom instead of lanturn

here try this set
rotom-w

252/120spc/136 dfe

moveset:
hydro pump
wil-o-wisp
voltchange/discharge
toxic/hidden power ice

*sorry for bad quality post in a hurry
You forgot one thing; why?

EDIT: Alright, I'll give that Rotom a try, and I'm definitely considering swapping Gengar, but scarfing my dragon would get rid of my late game sweeping abilities which have really carried me to some wins so far.

Thanks for the rate.

Hi Will.

This seems like a good team, and that Erefuun is annoying as ever. It appears you were basing your team members off a type chart, which sometimes leads to stall-weak teams, but you've done a nice job covering for that with both Ononokusu and Infernape. I have some suggestions that I think will make this team better though.

First off, the only reason you should use Skarmory is for Spikes. There are two options you could go with here.

1).The first option is to drop Brave Bird and replace it with Spikes. However, if you do that, I recommend you run Shed Shell to escape Magnezone and Shandera, as you'll be relying on Skarm for both your hazards, and the aforementioned Zone / Shandera will limit you to one if it switches in immediately to kill you off.

2).The second option is to replace Stealth Rock with Spikes on Skarmory, and add a Nattorei over Erefuun. This way, you have Stealth Rock, and you keep Erefuun's Leech Seeding capabilities. With Thunder Wave as another possible option, you can slow down the opponent's team's scarfers and pave the way for an easier Ononokusu sweep (for example, you can cripple Scarf Latias and prevent it from revenging Ono when it sets up). If you opt to carry T-Wave, then I'd recommend a Swords Dance Ononokusu over your current Dragon Dancer. This will cut through stall teams like no tomorrow, and through offensive teams as well once you spread enough paralysis. This will be also done easily because you have extra paralysis support from Lanturn. Here are the sets so you can just copy and paste them into PO if you opt for them.

EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spd
Adamant Nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
- Swords Dance
- Outrage
- Earthquake
- Taunt

Feel free to make it bulkier so you can set up easier on Pokemon such as Forretress and Skarmory if you'd like. This is the set I use and it works fine, but again, it's up to you.

Nattorei (M) @ Shed Shell
Trait: Iron Barbs
EVs: 252 HP / 8 Def / 248 SDef
Careful Nature (+SDef, -SAtk)
- Stealth Rock
- Leech Seed
- Power Whip
- Thunder Wave

Shed Shell is necessary so the likes of Shandera and Magnezone don't screw you over. It is invested in SDef so it can take special-based dragons such as Latias and Sazandora on easier and cripple them with Thunder Wave, as that is its main objective.

Regardless of which option you choose, I think you'd find it much more beneficial to run a specially defensive Skarmory over your current physical one. It can set up on the likes of Vaporeon and Burungeru easily as well as provide another Pokemon who takes Draco Meteors relatively well, which is crucial in this metagame.

Skarmory (M) @ Shed Shell
Trait: Keen Eye
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SDef
- Spikes
- Whirlwind
- Roost
- Brave Bird

An Impish nature gives it an overall higher stat total while retaining good special bulk, and helps you when taking various Outrages you may be forced to lure.

That's about all I can recommend. Good luck!

What do you do in the event that you face a SS team, Tyranitar pursuits Gengar to death, and they have a ScarfChomp? I don't really see anything else on your team being able to hand that.

@Blazin Kickin Chicken Thanks Kevin, we'll discuss it on Skype ^^

@Heero I'm gonna say no on Rotom because It loses to the likes of Specs Jolteon considering electric attacks are neutral. Still up in the air about Darkrai, and no to that Garchomp.

Thanks for the rate!

What do you do in the event that you face a SS team, Tyranitar pursuits Gengar to death, and they have a ScarfChomp? I don't really see anything else on your team being able to hand that.
If T-tar kills Gengar I go out to Infernape and OHKO with Mach Punch, or it's a 2HKO on Garchomp after rocks.

Ditto

/me huggles
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Changes in Bold
Comments under quotes

Erufuun (M) @ Leftovers
Trait: Mischievous Heart
EVs: 48 HP / 210 Def / 252 SpDef
Impish / Careul Nature (+Def / SpDef, -SAtk)
- Taunt
- U-turn
- Leech Seed
- Substitute
I don't really see the point of using a positive speed nature on Erufuun as the only thing that it provides any help against most of the time is the Genies and for the occasional U-turn. This spread gives Erufuun a defensive spread of 273/283/249, which is respectable enough for a Subseeder. An HP stat of 273 gives Erufuun a Leftovers number, to maximize recovery, and give Erufuun a lower HP in order to maximize Leech Seed recovery. The rest is put into defenses in order to increase Erufuun's survivability.

Gengar (M) @ Choice Scarf
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
Timid Nature (+Spd, -Atk)
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Trick
- Shadow Ball
- Thunderbolt
This is fine I guess, although you might as well add the 4 EVs in HP since you have them.

Rotom-W (M) @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 168 SDef / 88 Speed
- Hydro Pump
- Thunderbolt / Discharge
- Thunder Wave / Will-O-Wisp
- Pain Split
I can't help but feeling that another water Pokemon could do so much better in this spot. Right now you don't have too much need for a Volt Absorber as you have 1 weak and 2 resistances right now. Rotom-W is still neutral to Electric, while not having a weakness to Ground attacks. Rotom-W's stats are -97 / xxx / + 79 / + 23 / + 45 / + 60 compared to your Lanturn's. While it may not be as bulky on the special side, Rotom-W will hit harder and has a Recovery move that Lanturn lacks. However, this is just a suggestion as many other water-types could probably fill this spot.

- Dragon Dance
- Outrage
- Earthquake
- Brick Break
I don't really see why you would want to use Rivalry as it can easily get you a -1 simply by neglecting a pokemon's gender or being forced into a Cress or Bliss/Chansey. Mold Breaker on the other hand allows you to hit Levitating Pokemon like Rotom with Earthquake or Bronzong, who would otherwise be able to wall you.

Infernape (M) @ Life Orb
Trait: Iron Fist
- Fire Punch
- Swords Dance
- Mach Punch
- ThunderPunch
Just letting you know that Life Orb (1.3x) + Iron Fist (1.2x) + STAB (1.5x) = a 2.34x boost (1.56x without STAB) making Infernape's Mach Punch have a 93 BP. While this is pretty good, it still is not able to do more damage than a unSTABed Superpower. So just remember while it is very strong for a priority move, it still is not that strong of a move.

@DarkAmber Yeah, but that's not the point I think Gabe was making. T-tar could switch to anything and then I'd switch and then the battle would rage on.

@Ditto Thank you for the insightful rate!

I'll go ahead and take your advice on Erufuun's EV spread and nature.

Gengar has those HP EVs, but I just forgot to include them *facepalm*

*sighs* I REALLY don't want to let go of Lanturn. The volt absorb is very lovely for shutting down Latios and Jolteon, plus Thunder Wave is a great crippling move for scarfers who want to come in and stop Ononokusu's sweep. I'll try it though.

Mold Breaker on Ononokusu is probably an obvious choice, thanks.

And although Superpower does more damage, Mach Punch is a much needed priority. I'll make the changes I've picked in bold. Thank you very much for your rate.

The.Lost.Hylian

Conquer your Shadow
is a Researcher Alumnus
I like Stun Spore on my Erufuun, just a suggestion, because it's gonna paralyze those DD users and ground types with swords dance...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)