Denied Language Rooms on PS!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zodiax

not this
is a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnus
This article I've put a bit of thought into and how we can execute it.

During this article I would like to write a long paragraph about each of the different language rooms on PS!, however, to benefit the rooms which do not speak English I would like to see all of the paragraphs translated into their respected languages. After thinking about this I would like to go along these lines.

Talk to an RO of the room and get an insight to what their room offers and I would write a paragraph about them. After all of the paragraphs are finished I would like for them to be GP'd from the English version. Afterward I would PM the respected RO again and ask them to translate the paragraph into their respected language.

I would like to do it this way because not all PS users do speak English and it would be nice to see them to be involved by reading The Player, I can see cons in this but I feel that this could be one of the best ways to get it across to those users.

EDIT: If you need me to list some cons about this I don't mind.

fx

moon tourism
is an Artist Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus
i like the idea alot, certainly adds some cultural diversity to the player! However it wouldn't be a bad idea to give a small preface in english in each paragraph either just to give some insight to english speakers aswell.

Also, I have some concerns on actual writing material, like besides room purpose, what else is there to write about these rooms?

Quarkz

dGltZSBmb3IgbWUgdG8gbW92ZSBvbg==
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
I think the point is that it would be written in both English and whatever language it is. I think it would be really cool if this article looks at things that the foreign communities do differently do the English ones, and just the general differences, as this would also make it interesting to the English speaking user.

If this is approved, I am also offering my skills to develop a button thing to allow you to toggle between English and the foreign langauage, if needed.

antemortem

THE ORIGINAL DAVE
is a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
Socialization Head
I'm also willing to approve if there's some worthwhile content to be written for each room.

Zodiax

not this
is a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnus
Sorry went on loa for a bit,

What I can do is I can speak to the relevant RO's of each of the Languages room and get a yes from each of them before anyone approves this. Don't want to go down the line and then get a no half way through an article.

antemortem

THE ORIGINAL DAVE
is a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
Socialization Head
Still want to know what's planned for this before you get approvals from anyone because we have someone that got approved for a Dutch room article so these will overlap if this doesn't effectively cover Dutch + whatever else you planned.

Zodiax

not this
Sure thing

What I was planning on doing was explaining what these rooms actually do. Stuff to discuss would be events such as if rooms have scheduled tournaments or any games which involve the users. users might be rewarded with rank or something similar, again I don't know much about these as I don't speak any of the languages fluently. It might not seem much, however if you take into consideration how many language rooms we have on PS then it could turn into quite the regular sized article.

Zodiax

not this
Hiya,

I got information from Astyanax for the Spanish room.

However I do believe that Kasumi had written an article about the German room so would this article still be for good use?
Could do it as a series featuring different rooms but since the German room article was done my general concept is kinda not there anymore.

Willing to change it up though.

antemortem

THE ORIGINAL DAVE
Socialization Head
I've been so hesitant about this because room staff/owners of language rooms typically handle coverage on their rooms themselves. While I do enjoy the concept of the article being written in languages that appeal to the readers of that particular language, I'm feeling it would be better left to native staff.

Zodiax

not this
I've been so hesitant about this because room staff/owners of language rooms typically handle coverage on their rooms themselves. While I do enjoy the concept of the article being written in languages that appeal to the readers of that particular language, I'm feeling it would be better left to native staff.
100% understand, well if I can't write this article I wish someone else could because I don't want a good idea gone to waste.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)