Kyurem-B

Earlier today, I was looking around Ubers setlist only to find Kyurem-B to have NO STRATEGIES. Really?! >:[= Anyways, I think I have a set or two of my own. *Changes made in BOLD!

Choiced Mixed Attacker
252 SpA + Speed, 4 Atk
@Choice B/Sp/Sc, Mild
Terravolt
-Psychic/ Earth Power

This set focuses on Kyurems great SpA being used in tandem with its fantastic physical attack, this set works great. Forcing to give up some of its physical prowess in exchange for some special power, this set works great. With nearly mirrored SpA and Atk, both of which have intensely high stats, can tear open things like blissey and ghiratina.

Physical Wall / Trollurem
252 Hp + Def, 4 Atk
@leftovers, Impish
Terravolt
Reflect

Kyurem-B can also serve as a great physical wall. And when you say wall, you also mean has 170 base Physical attack, then we're on the same page. Self- Explanatory.

Hone Claws
252 HP+ Atk, 4 Def
@leftovers, Adamant / Impish
Terravolt

Hone Claws
Stone Edge
Outrage
Fusion Bolt

This set isn't as great without some HP investment. So I would go the whole 9 yards in the HP EVs. I find this Kyurem-B set to end up at low HP very often, so endeavor MIGHT(??) be an option, but there is a lack of room, too. Stone edge takes advantage of this set the most. Also in this set, there is a lack of an Ice move though :(

BLIZZARD EVERYTHING!!! (Hail team set)
252 SpA +HP, 4 Def
@Choice Scarf / Life Orb, Sassy
Terravolt

Blizzard
Outrage
Zen Headbutt
Earth Power / Fusion Bolt

This set is mainly for surprise value. :P Earth Power is there mainly for another special move.

Kyu-Spohn (Custom Set)
252 Atk + Spe, 4 HP
@White Herb, Jolly
Outrage

Mainly just a troll set. Pretty much insta-revenge kill against your foe's dragon (Ex: Raquaza/ Ghiratina-O) Freeze shock is NEEDED, since... well... White herb... and this set is very susceptible to protect if the White Herb is absent, and if you find this annoying, you can use taunt over Iron head. A set using Defense/ HP EVs over Speed EVs would also be reccomended, however, with 4 INCREDIBLY common Weaknesses (Steel, Fighting, Dragon, Rock), Special Defense EVs may also be advised for its resistances (Water, Grass, Electric).

There's my take on Kyurem-B, odds are their are better sets out there, because I am not educated in the arts of Uber yet :/ Anyways, later!

My favorite Kyurem B set is this:
Kyurem B @ Life Orb
Hasty (+Spe, -Def)
252 SAtk, 252 Spe
Outrage/Dragon Claw
Fusion Bolt
Ice Beam
Focus Blast/HP Fire/Draco Meteor
Because of its sky-high attack, even uninvested this set 2HKOs virtually everything in the metagame, with flawless type coverage and a good mix of attacking options. Outrage is more powerful than Dragon Claw, but Dragon Claw prevents you from becoming setup bait. Fusion Bolt is a wonderful move that compliments Dragon Type STAB well, with great power and perfect accuracy. Ice Beam is the second stab, hitting things like Shaymin-S, Groudon (which is crucial), and Lugia a lot harder than Kyurem-B's other options. The last slot is for what you want to hit harder. Focus Blast is primary, having flawless coverage with Dragon Claw/Outrage, and hits Dialga, Darkrai, and Forretress fairly hard, although it has shaky accuracy. If you want to hit Ferrothorn and Forretress as hard as possible, go with HP Fire, but the IV spread means that max speed Rayquaza will always attack first. Finally, you can run Draco Meteor if you just want to nuke something, as Kyurem's other attacks do a good enough job in the coverage category for a little lee-weigh, but the SAtk drop is unplesant.

Matthew

I love weather; Sun for days
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I don't really like either of the Kyurem's in Ubers play honestly. When given the opportunity between Kyurem and something else I'm probably always going to pick the other pokemon over Kyurem. The fact that it has Ice-typing in ubers is both awesome and terrible. Ice-typing removes basically all of the sweet Dragon-type resists (aside from Water-typing I guess). Ice-typing in theory is an awesome STAB in Ubers but in practice I would never willingly pick an Ice-type for my team, simply because it can only come in on revenge kills (usually).

His Eminence Lord Poppington II

proverb:the fish who eats most dies still too
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I don't know about that matthew, Ice-typing actually doesn't prevent Dragon from resisting any of Electric-, Water-, and Grass- attacks. Its most crippling flaw is just being SR weak.

Ice is an offensive juggernaught of a typing, Specs Ice Beam 2HKOes Ferrothorn, slams Lugia (through Multiscale, no less!), Groudon, and the Giratina formes, all premier tanks in this tier.

Although I do think Kyurem-W is overrated I will not deny its use.

Kyurem-B on the other hand... while it's cool to be able to run a mixed set that can overcome Groudon with Ice Beam and have access to Focus Blast, not to mention the diversity of its sets (mixed Hone Claws ;o) again, it's crippling SR weak and high opportunity cost (Kyurem-W is better in most situations) means I am not likely to use this Pokemon that often :|

syrim

1x1x1x1x1x1x1x1x1x1
The biggest benefit Kyu-b can bring to a team is through its mixed set. Obviously a physical attacker with a strong ice STAB is going to be excellent in a tier where all the dominant physical walls are weak to ice. Notable dragon resists like Ferrothorn and Skarmory are also weak to its coverage.The mixed set has far fewer checks though. Some require prediction to be forced out, such as steel arceus, but many others, like Groudon, Ferrothorn, and Dialga, really can't switch into the vast majority of its moves and come out healthy enough to wall anything else, making it a decent pokemon to put pressure on the opposing team.

It can trouble almost all dedicated physical walls, and if using the set it should be using, (Outrage/hp fire if sunny day, Focus Blast if not/Ice beam/Fusion Bolt), it can take advantage of its actually not too terrible defensive typing against rain based teams to find attacking oppurtunites, and its coverage and power against common rain cores is pretty hard to ignore. It can dent ferrothorn pretty heavily, and can actually beat it in the sun if running hp fire, and can definitley put a huge dent in it, allowing the myriad of sweepers checked by it a free pass. It also puts a ton of pressure on Ferro/tenta/kyogre cores, the somewhat standard rain team.

Against sun its biggest niche is obviously being a physical threat that can ignore groudon as a check or a wall until it locks itself into outrage. Another notable niche is not having to lock itself into a move to pose a major threat to ho-oh.

In my opinion the need to run LO to be effective, as well as being SR weak, really cut down on the value of the resistances that make the a fore mentioned positives of kyu-b possible to execute in a regular game situation. It's pretty good as a wall breaker and certainly has some interesting niches, but overall I would usually pick something like mix rayquaza over it, because though it can't do certain things kyu-b can, with just a little support it can keep most of kyu-b's niches whilst offering much, much more general utility.

Matthew

I love weather; Sun for days
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
The issue I have is that pesky SR weakness with its slow Speed stat make it so easy to revenge I don't even understand. Rayquaza is a different story since it has access to ExtremeSpeed, making it able to pick of weakened, faster pokemon whereas Kyurem isn't able to. Alongside that Kyurem might have an Ice-type STAB which, don't get me wrong, is amazing. I'd love if I could get Ice-type STAB on every pokemon in Ubers, but the lack of priority, the weaknesses that Ice-typing bring to the table, and SR weakness make it really difficult to want to add it to my team.

http://www.smogon.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3468414
There is already a thread for Kyurem-B and Kyurem-W.
BTW Matthew, Kyurem-W isnt as bad as you think. STAB Steel type attacks are rare in ubers. STAB Fighting types attacks are rare too. The only pokemon that uses Stone Edge is Groudon which is deathly afraid of Kyurem-W. In Ubers, the type combination is actually good because it resists 2 of Kyogre moves and Kyogre can only hit the Kyurem formes neutrally. The only downside is the SR weakness which isnt a big deal since Kyurem-W scares away many pokemon anyway.

i'm pretty sure that HP Fire should get a slash somewhere as most of the things that wall Kyu-B are weak to it (Ferrothorn, Skarm, etc). Some counters are actually weak to it as well (Scizor, Breloom, etc).

Jibaku

Who let marco in here????
is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Two-Time Past SPL Champion
Gen is right (Matthew, WHATEVER...) in the sense that fitting in the Kyurem formes can be challenging. It's not just the SR weak - it's the SR weak combined with its Spikes vulnerability. This weakness plagues Reshiram quite heavily, and Kyurem doesn't take it any better. However, if you do manage to fit one in, you will be rewarded quite nicely (moreso with Kyurem-W than Kyurem-B, though). To this day I still can't get myself a comfortable team with Kyurem-B, and only one with Kyurem-W.

But enough of that. This thread is about Kyurem-B.

Having played with Kyurem-B (though with rather uncomfortable teams), the mixed set is definitely the most potent, as it can fully utilize its raw power and coverage and batter down falls with ease. syrim covered pretty much everything so i don't think I need to add much more to that. Another significant trait is its neutrality to ice / resistance to water and electric, which makes it a really good backup Kyogre check. Being able to handle the king of Ubers combined with its wallbreaking strength grant it a couple of switch in opportunities (despite the weaknesses attached to its Ice-type), and cause some havoc.

....Am I the only one who just uses physical Scarf? I like it over Zekrom because it outspeeds Zekrom and Outrage hits just a bit harder, which I love.

Mixed is alright, I just feel like other things perform that job better.

ElectivireRocks

Banned deucer.
Such as? I can't think of a better mixed attacker in ubers.
The closest would be Deoxys-A, who has worse STAB, no bulk and arguably a worse movepool (Superpower is really the only thing it got over Kyurem, Extremespeed without an attack boost and/or STAB isn't that good).
Giratina-O lacks power and Rayquaza has no real good special STAB, unlike Kyurem's Ice Beam. Besides I find mixed Rayquaza very easy to wall, unlike Kyurem who laughs at Lugia and Ho-oh.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)