move 2: Clanging Scales
move 3: Flamethrower
move 4: Flash Cannon
item: Throat Spray
ability: Bulletproof
nature: Timid
evs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]

Kommo-o is a great sweeper with Clangorous Soul, which allows it to boost all of its stats at the cost of only 33% of its health. Clanging Scales is a powerful STAB move that can also bypass Substitute, which prevents the likes of Dragapult, Gengar, and Hydreigon from being able to take advantage of Kommo-o. Flamethrower allows Kommo-o to break past Steel-types like Ferrothorn and notably stops it being walled by Aegislash. Flash Cannon is necessary for Kommo-o to break through Fairy-types such as Clefable and Grimmsnarl, which aren't threatened by any of its other coverage options. Throat Spray is activated when it uses Clangorous Soul, which allows Kommo-o to boost its Special Attack by two stages and OHKO bulky Aegislash with Flamethrower. However, it is worth noting that Throat Spray can also be activated by Clanging Scales, so it could potentially waste the boost if it is forced out afterward. Bulletproof is Kommo-o's best ability, which lets it set up against Pokemon like Gengar, Aegislash, and Choice Specs Dragapult. Alternatively, Soundproof can be used to prevent Kommo-o from being revenge killed by Clanging Scales from opposing Kommo-o and Ditto. Kommo-o should take advantage of its great typing and respectable bulk to set up on common Pokemon like Rotom-W and Rotom-H that are unable to threaten it.

Strong wallbreakers like Galarian Darmanitan and Bisharp make ideal partners, as they can remove or weaken bulky walls such as Toxapex and Hippowdon that could potentially remove its boosts with Haze and Whirlwind, respectively. Steel-types like Excadrill and Aegislash make great partners, as they can check Fairy-types like Clefable and Grimmsnarl that Kommo-o cannot OHKO even after boosting its Special Attack with Clangorous Soul. Finally, pivots such as Rotom-W and Rotom-H are good partners, as they can bring Kommo-o in safely with Volt Switch. Rotom-W in particular can invite in Ferrothorn, which gives Kommo-o a relatively free setup opportunity.

[CREDITS]
- Written by: [[Twilight, 344575]]
- Quality checked by: [[Jordy, 395754], [TPP, 260369]]
- Grammar checked by: [[Estronic, 240732]]

Last edited:

GMars

It's ya boy GEEEEEEEEMARS
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Haven’t used Kommo-o enough yet to check but wanted to point out that Draco Plate isn’t obtainable right now, you have to use Dragon Fang

I feel like Soundproof should actually be mentioned right now as it makes the Ditto matchup very different. If they click Clanging Scales to revenge you it basically lets you get another kill. It also forces opposing ditto to lock into Flash cannon meaning that they probably won’t sweep you lol. The possibility of Soundproof makes revenging with Ditto a 50/50 and it’s actually pretty important to how Kommo-o is played right now.

Last edited:
I have changed the item to Dragon Fang, Draco Plate was legal from when I was playing so I guess that has been updated. And I cannot give a mention to Soundproof here because it simply does not work with Clangerous Soul. Soundproof blocks your own Clangerous Soul making it void on this set.

GMars

It's ya boy GEEEEEEEEMARS
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
I have changed the item to Dragon Fang, Draco Plate was legal from when I was playing so I guess that has been updated. And I cannot give a mention to Soundproof here because it simply does not work with Clangerous Soul. Soundproof blocks your own Clangerous Soul making it void on this set.
I’m pretty sure research thread showed Soundproof doesn’t block Clangorous Soul, it might not be implemented correctly on Showdown right now. I can test that out in-game tonight

Edit: Anubis tested it out, Soundproof shouldn’t block Kommo-o’s Clangorous Soul: https://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/sword-shield-battle-mechanics-research.3655528/post-8290158

Last edited:
If this is the case then fair enough. I found out that it blocked it when testing a few days into UU Alpha, I'll retract my previous statement if this is the case

comments in purple things to remove in red
[SET]
name: Clanger
move 1: Clangerous Soul
item: Throat Spray / Dragon Fang

Dragon Fang's awful; don't slash it.

[SET COMMENTS]

Kommo-o is a great sweeper with its new signature move Clangerous Soul, which allows Kommo-o to boost all of its stats at the cost of only 33% of its health. Clanging Scales is a powerful STAB move that allows Kommo-o to remove bulky Pokemon like Toxapex, Quagsure, and Tyranitar. None of these examples make any sense. Flamethrower allows Kommo-o to break past Steel-types like Ferrothorn, but notably stops it being walled by Aegislash. Flash Cannon is necessary for Kommo-o to break through Fairy-types such as Clefable and Grimsnarl, which aren't threatened by any of its other coverage options. Throat Spray is activated when it uses Clangerous Soul, which allows Kommo-o to boost its Special Attack by two stages and OHKO bulky Aegislash with Flamethrower. However, it is worth noting Throat Spray can also be activated by Clanging Scales, so it could potentially waste the boost if it is forced out afterward. Alternatively, Draco Plate boosts the power of Clanging Scales for Kommo-o to 2HKO Toxapex. Bulletproof is Kommo-o's best ability, which lets it set up against Pokemon like Gyro Ball Ferrothorn easily. Something like Shadow Ball from Gengar'd be a better example I think, as Gyro Ball Ferrothorn isn't very useful this generation. Soundproof's good enough to at least mention it here. Kommo-o has a decent amount of Dynamax potential because it can turn Clanging Scales into a powerful Max Wyrmwind, which is capable of OHKOing Toxapex after Stealth Rock at +2. A boosted Max Steelstrike's also much harder to deal with than a boosted Flash Cannon for Fairy-types.

Strong wallbreakers like Galarian Darmanitan and Bisharp make ideal partners as they can remove or weaken bulky walls such as Toxapex and Hippowdon that could potentially remove its boosts with Haze and Whirlwind respectively. Excadrill and Aegislash make great partners as they can checks Fairy-types like Clefable and Grimsnarl as Kommo-o can only break past them after using Clangerous Soul and them having taken significant chip damage, the latter also being able to Prankster Thunder Wave it making Kommo-o much easier to revenge kill. Finally, pivots such as Rotom-W and Rotom-H are good partners as they can bring Kommo-o in safely with Volt Switch. Rotom-W in particular can invite in Ferrothorn, which gives Kommo-o a relatively free set up opportunity.
Replace every mention of Clangerous Soul with Clangorous Soul because that's what it is. Good job, 1/2.

TPP

is a Tournament Directoris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Top Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Past SPL Championis a Past WCoP Champion
Head TD
Excadrill and Aegislash make great partners as they can checks Fairy-types like Clefable and Grimsnarl as Kommo-o can only break past them after using Clangorous Soul and them having taken significant chip damage, the latter also being able to Prankster Thunder Wave it making Kommo-o much easier to revenge kill.
This sentence is too long imo. You could also classify Excadrill and Aegislash as Steel-types at the start of the sentence to lead into the rest of the sentence with them being checks for Fairy-types. If you want to shorten it, you could say something like "check Fairy-types like Clefable and Grimmsnarl, whom Kommo-o is unable to 1HKO even after boosting its special attack with Clangorous Soul."
Bulletproof is Kommo-o's best ability, which lets it set up against Pokemon like Shadow Ball Gengar.
I think you could go into a little more detail with this one. Something like Bulletproof granting Kommo immunity from Shadow Ball, allowing it to set up on mons like Gengar, Aegislash and Choice Specs Dragapult (specs is important because you still die to Draco). Additionally, maybe you could add in other situations in which Kommo-o can set up? Something like using its typing + bulk to force out and set up against Rotom-Heat/Wash.

Aside from that, I think you did a great job writing this. 2/2

Astra

talk to me nice
is a Site Content Manageris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Community Leader Alumnus
add remove
[SET]
name: Clanger Clangorous Soul
move 1: Clangorous Soul
item: Throat Spray

[SET COMMENTS]

Kommo-o is a great sweeper with Clangorous Soul, which allows Kommo-o it to boost all of its stats at the cost of only 33% of its health. Clanging Scales is a powerful STAB move that can also bypass Substitute, which prevents the likes of Dragapult, Gengar, and Hydreigon from being able to take advantage of it Kommo-o. Flamethrower allows Kommo-o to break past Steel-types like Ferrothorn, (RC) but and notably stops it being walled by Aegislash. Flash Cannon is necessary for Kommo-o to break through Fairy-types such as Clefable and Grimmsnarl, which aren't threatened by any of its other coverage options. Throat Spray is activated when it uses Clangorous Soul, which allows Kommo-o to boost its Special Attack by two stages and OHKO bulky Aegislash with Flamethrower. However, it is worth noting that Throat Spray can also be activated by Clanging Scales, so it could potentially waste the boost if it is forced out afterward. Bulletproof is Kommo-o's best ability, which lets it set up against Pokemon like Gengar, Aegislash, and Choice Specs Dragapult. Alternatively, Soundproof can be used to prevent Kommo-o from being revenge killed by Clanging Scales from opposing Kommo-o and Ditto. Kommo-o should take advantage of its great typing and respectable bulk to set up on common Pokemon like Rotom-W and Rotom-H that are unable to threaten it.

Strong wallbreakers like Galarian Darmanitan and Bisharp make ideal partners, (AC) as they can remove or weaken bulky walls such as Toxapex and Hippowdon that could potentially remove its boosts with Haze and Whirlwind, (AC) respectively. Steel-types like Excadrill and Aegislash make great partners, (AC) as they can check Fairy-types like Clefable and Grimmsnarl, (RC) which that Kommo-o is unable to cannot OHKO even after boosting its special attack Special Attack with Clangorous Soul. Finally, pivots such as Rotom-W and Rotom-H are good partners, (AC) as they can bring Kommo-o in safely with Volt Switch. Rotom-W in particular can invite in Ferrothorn, which gives Kommo-o a relatively free set up setup opportunity.
1/1 :blobthumbsup:
Estronic-GP-small.gif

edit: sorry i missed the credits section that usually doesn't slip by me :blobsad:

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)