SS PU Knife Party [1k Thread]

Theia

I'll burn before you bury me
is a Tournament Directoris a Site Content Manageris a Social Media Contributoris a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Top Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnus
User Safety Lead
Originally I wasn't going to do an RMT for my 1k because I don't play Pokemon but I'm actually pretty proud of this team even though Chloe said that Webs offense isn't that good rn and it's gone 2-0 in PU Swiss so far so it can't be that bad. s/o to Frito for helping me build it.

Introduction
Like I said above, I don't really actually play much Pokemon, but I'll sign up for random tours sometimes if my friends ask or if they need more people to get to a non-painful bracket size. So I joined this PU Swiss because Chloe mentioned it, and I wanted to try my hand at building my own team for once, something I haven't done since BDSP OU was brand new (Sheer Force Life Orb Nidoking my beloved.) I feel most comfortable playing HO because to me it's a very easy playstyle to understand, so I figured it would be a good place to start, and this is the result of a bunch of testing and adjusting. I've always thought it was cool when tours players would name their Pokemon after a theme or set of songs, so I tried that myself, and every Pokemon on this team is named after a song by the EDM duo Knife Party, whose music has gotten me through a lot of long nights doing work for PS and Smogon. I've linked each song in the Pokemon's name if you want to take a listen!

Teambuilding Process

EDM Trend Machine (Ribombee) @ Focus Sash
Ability: Shield Dust
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Sticky Web
- Moonblast
- Bug Buzz
- Quiver Dance

I had a couple of options for which Webs setter to build around, with the most notable other option being Galvantula, but I went with Ribombee mostly just because I like it more. The set is fairly standard, except I swapped out the usual fourth slot of Aromatherapy/U-turn for Sticky Web because you cannot have Webs HO without Webs. Whether or not it lives past turn two is hit or miss honestly, but when it does, it's a nice setup sweeper to have in the back and hits stuff like Eldegoss and Scrafty quite well.

EDM Death Machine (Jellicent) (M) @ Choice Specs
Ability: Water Absorb
Shiny: Yes
Timid Nature
- Water Spout
- Surf
- Shadow Ball
- Ice Beam

Up next is the only S-rank on the PU VR, Jellicent. I hang out with a lot of Ubers/Anything Goes players, so my basis for this was "Specs Kyogre but make it PU." Jellicent hits basically everything like a truck with full power Specs Water Spout, which is why I found the name "EDM Death Machine" fitting, and Ice Beam can threaten Water Spout resists like Eldegoss and Whimsicott. Shadow Ball rounds out the set nicely, since the viable ghost resists in PU are fairly limited.

Ghost Train (Silvally-Ghost) @ Ghost Memory
Ability: RKS System
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Flame Charge
- Multi-Attack
- Rock Slide

I picked Silvally-Ghost both so I'd have an excuse to name something after Ghost Train, which is my favorite Knife Party song, and because like mentioned above, there aren't many viable ghost resists in PU, so this serves basically as a physical counterpart to Jellicent. Flame Charge is mostly there to get off one speed boost, which is enough to outspeed most non-Flying things under Webs, then Rock Slide serves as a more powerful answer to Scyther and Ribombee, as well as super effective coverage against the very common Charizard.

Bonfire (Charizard) @ Heavy-Duty Boots
Ability: Blaze
Jolly Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Earthquake
- Flare Blitz
- Roost

While Ribombee and Ice Beam Jellicent can be answers to the Grass-types in the tier, they aren't always the most reliable at doing so, most notably against Ferroseed, which is where Charizard comes in. Like Silvally-Ghost, one boost from Dragon Dance will allow Charizard to outspeed most things under Webs, and a +1 Earthquake can do decent damage to switch-ins like Regirock or Gigalith, and a +1 Flare Blitz takes on common Pokemon such as Scyther and Aggron with ease.

PLUR Police (Mesprit) @ Life Orb
Ability: Levitate
Timid Nature
- Nasty Plot
- Thunderbolt
- Psyshock
- Dazzling Gleam

Mesprit serves as a catch-all coverage option, as there are no resistances between its three attacks, though it generally still struggles against bulky Steel-types. Thunderbolt is used for Flying-types like Charizard and Scyther, which aren't affected by the Webs, as well as for opposing Jellicents that could switch in to absorb Water Spouts from my own and Wishiwashi. Dazzling Gleam provides the fairy coverage against Pokemon like Scrafty if Ribombee should go down early in the game, and Shadow Ball neutrally hits nearly the entire tier, and a Life Orb-boosted +2 Shadow Ball will do a significant bit of damage to most things, though the Life Orb is bad for Mesprit's longevity as it has no recovery.

LRAD (Hitmonlee) (M) @ White Herb
Ability: Unburden
Adamant Nature
- Curse
- Knock Off
- Close Combat
- Poison Jab

Probably my favorite addition to this team after Jellicent, Hitmonlee was the last in my quest to find a suitable answer to Togedemaru, preceded by such mons as Gallade and Marowak, since the team up to this point was struggling with it, huge credit to Frito for this set. This isn't quite a standard set, but it is a fun and effective one based on stuff like Unburden terrain seed Hawlucha sets, without the reliance on a terrain setter. Curse gives you the benefits of Bulk Up, then trades the speed drop for a speed boost once the White Herb and Unburden are activated. Poison Jab covers Fairy-types like Aromatisse and Silvally-Fairy, patching up this team's lack of super-effective coverage against Fairy-types.

EDM Trend Machine (Ribombee) @ Focus Sash
Ability: Shield Dust
Timid Nature
- Sticky Web
- Moonblast
- Bug Buzz
- Quiver Dance

EDM Death Machine (Jellicent) (M) @ Choice Specs
Ability: Water Absorb
Shiny: Yes
Timid Nature
- Water Spout
- Surf
- Shadow Ball
- Ice Beam

Ghost Train (Silvally-Ghost) @ Ghost Memory
Ability: RKS System
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Flame Charge
- Multi-Attack
- Rock Slide

Bonfire (Charizard) @ Heavy-Duty Boots
Ability: Blaze
Jolly Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Earthquake
- Flare Blitz
- Roost

PLUR Police (Mesprit) @ Life Orb
Ability: Levitate
Timid Nature
- Nasty Plot
- Thunderbolt
- Psyshock
- Dazzling Gleam

LRAD (Hitmonlee) (M) @ White Herb
Ability: Unburden
Adamant Nature
- Curse
- Knock Off
- Close Combat
- Poison Jab

BilloPS - Hard to believe it's already been two and a half years since we first talked, time really flies. You've been my ride or die since day one, and we've been through a hell of a lot together. You and I worked through some of the roughest patches the Wi-Fi room has ever been through, and some of the roughest patches you and I have ever been through as people. You're one of my oldest friends here, and I couldn't imagine having done any of this without you.

Anubis - It's been nearly four years since a young Nol was made voice in the Wi-Fi room, and a little less than that since I was drivered, and a little less than that since you asked me to take over as Small Events Leader. You always believed in me, even if I didn't believe in myself, and always pushed me to do better. It's amazing to still be able to call you a friend and a mentor after all of these years, and I wouldn't be where I am without your guidance.

Aberforth - I've only known you for a short time, really, only like sixth months, but you're already one of my closest friends on this site. You've been there for me through an awful lot of really bad shit, and have stuck by my side throughout it all. You go so far above and beyond in making sure I'm okay, and I couldn't be more grateful to have someone like you in my life.

Aeonic - I don't think a single person on this site has been subjected to more of my frustrated rants about whatever I'm working on than you have, and you've always, always been there to listen and to give advice. You've always helped me be more confident in my decisions and inspired me to work harder and do better. I'm glad that I got over being scared of you, because you're an amazing friend and person.

Rage - Before I met you, I was just a global driver almost completely isolated to Wi-Fi with no plans at all to do anything or go anywhere. But I started taking tickets for the Tournaments room, and you and the rest of the staff welcomed me with open arms and made me feel like I was a part of your team right away. And then you welcomed me into another one of your communities, RoA. Without you and your kindness, I may never have left my shell and found so many wonderful people and experiences across the sites.

Kennedy - We've come a long way from how we first met, with our first conversation being me yelling at you over an investigation that wasn't even your fault. You've always made time for me in your life, no matter what it was I needed, and I don't think there are enough words to describe how thankful I am to have met you.

Finchinator - You're the GOAT. Can't tell you enough how much I appreciate all of the help you've given me, especially in times (basically all the time) when I'm so high strung and in need of a helping hand. One day we will make it through whole conversation and I will apologize to you less than three times.

Lily - You've been my partner in crime multiple times for US/SS work, whether that's listening to me rant about stuff or helping me with investigations. I'm always glad to talk to you, and I'm glad we've been steadfast friends for so long!

Skooma - You're kind of a shitlord but I wouldn't have had half the experiences I've had or met half the people I have without you. Thank you for taking me along to AGPL and the Ubers Tour That Shall Not Be Named, it was a lot of fun even if we never did very well, and taught me a very valuable lesson in how much I hate managing.

AG jerk friends - Thank you for keeping me around even though I do not play AG and thank you for being my first real friend group outside of my PS rooms. I love all of you. WSun1 Seldanna omicorio adem lotiasite Fc Kate chlo pichus Icemaster Andyboy baconeatinassassin Ballfire Autumnchi Mbouchon Lauriane Guard Nevelle Lunala Skarph @Mowatia Trade

PS Wi-Fi staff - Thank you for being my first family on PS and the place where this all started - Swiffix Argynt Bobbyzchoo HiMyNamesL Laguna Loethalion Mex Nicolic poofVGC Malasada shahafs TheBlah YourPalAdam WigglyTree @Castle Builder Ciran pink dreads Slammy skies

PS Tournaments staff - Thank you for welcoming me so readily into your team and for being such an amazing group of people to work with - Isaiah Micoy trace Banbadoro Daki Frixel Jordy004 PrinceOfAllTacos saba sirmrwhale Tranquility velvet @goldtodd1 Jadinobambino PA pisxel shadowmaster6789 Sificon sirDonovan StreetBoom

And thank you to everyone else across both sites who has inspired me, helped me, or simply made amazing memories with me:

PS - Alexender Alpha HoeenHero Marty yuki fart Felucia OM in the hills Mia narukami Zodiax Hydrostatics ironwater neycwang SparksBlade Kris Dratios Instruct Zalm ORAS-Mega kaylub iso Ransei Queeni UT Peary PressPlayBrenden cromagnet bobochan Crunchman Sundar Toshinden

Smogon - emma Amaranth susciety Blitz nui Ticken Kaede zee maroon Specs Links Fiend

If you aren't tagged here and you should be I'm super sorry there's just a lot of amazing people in my life and I'm a forgetful person.

It's been a hell of a ride these past four years. Even a year ago, I couldn't imagine myself reaching 1000 posts here, or playing in a tournament, or doing an RMT. Thank you so much to everyone who has been along with me for this journey, who have given me the chance to experience all of these new things and meet so many people from all parts of both sites. Here's to many more years and thousands more posts to come <3​

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)