By Breeding:
Endeavor
Feather Dance
Spit Up
Stockpile
Swallow
Weather Ball

New Ability: Wind Power
Whenever this Pokemon is hit by a wind-based move or if Tailwind activates, the Charge effect is activated.
Air Cutter
Bleakwind Storm
Blizzard
Fairy Wind
Gust
Heat Wave
Hurricane
Icy Wind
Petal Blizzard
Sandsear Storm
Sandstorm
Springtide Storm
Tailwind
Twister
Whirlwind
Wildbolt Storm

:kilowattrel: Pros
- Having a speed of 125, Kilowattrel is one of the fastest mons in SV.
- Thanks to Wind Power, Kilowattrel can also become very dangerous in Tailwind if not dealt with.
- Packs pivoting moves in the form of U-turn and Volt Switch.
- The STAB combination of Electric and Flying can hit a LOT of Pokemon for super-effective and neutral damage.

:kilowattrel: Cons
- Kilowattrel has next to no coverage, relying on Tera Blast for it.
- Very frail with 70/60/60 bulk, making it very susceptible to revenge kills and priority attacks.
- Has a crippling Stealth Rock weakness, which means Kilowattrel has to run HDB.
- Also has high competition with other offensive Electric-type Pokemon, and it's losing. (Also not Zapdos >:C)

Terastal Potential
- Kilowattrel mostly wants to run a non-STAB Terastal type to improve its coverage. Fighting Terastal to counter Chi-Yu, Water Terastal for Rock- and Ground- type Pokemon, and maybe Fire or Ground Terastal for Steel- types.

Potential Set

Tailwind Abuser
Kilowattrel @ Life Orb
Ability: Wind Power
Tera Type: Fighting / Fire / Ground
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Hurricane / Air Slash
- Tera Blast
- U-turn

Mainly the only set I'd see Kilowattrel running. This set mainly opts to lure in and take out Chi-Yu, one of the best threats currently. You can run a different Tera Type depending on the team you're running but this is the one you'd want to run the most. Set up Tailwind with another bulky mon and go ham.

Last edited:
Thunder Bird
Ability: Competitive
Item: Life Orb
Nature: Timid or Modest
EVs: (HP 4) (Sp. Att. 252) (Speed 252)

Moves:
Rain Dance
Thunder
Hurricane
Weather Ball

Set Details:
Set up Rain Dance for itself and teammates, spam Thunder and Hurricane for their damage and parafusion, and use Water-Weather Ball for coverage.

Honestly, this is not a Zapdos. With Boots is not powerful enough. Give him Specs or LO and add good hazard removers to the team.

Maybe when Lando comes back and Intimidate is very common, Competitive sets are viable with Boots, right now I would either give him an offensive item or run another offensive electric Mon.

Honestly, this is not a Zapdos. With Boots is not powerful enough. Give him Specs or LO and add good hazard removers to the team.

Maybe when Lando comes back and Intimidate is very common, Competitive sets are viable with Boots, right now I would either give him an offensive item or run another offensive electric Mon.
Thanks for pointing that out - edited the OP to include these details!
Thunder Bird

Moves:
Rain Dance
Thunder
Hurricane
Weather Ball

Set Details:
Set up Rain Dance for itself and teammates, spam Thunder and Hurricane for their damage and parafusion, and use Water-Weather Ball for coverage.
Honestly, manual weather doesn't seem to be good here, and I think you would rather use Water-type Tera Blast or smth.

Thanks for pointing that out - edited the OP to include these details!

Honestly, manual weather doesn't seem to be good here, and I think you would rather use Water-type Tera Blast or smth.
Fair enough. Rain support would be better...as would a Zapdos...

Zapdos at home.jpg

This thing cannot fully replace Zapdos due to its frailty and low power output. The best set I've found was LO on rain as you can at least switch into passive stuff and hopefully break through Toxapex and Amoonguss. The Electric immunity seems nice, but relevant Electric types destroy it with coverage or alternative STABs. Competitive benefits from the ubiquity of Spikes, or it would if there more than ONE viable Defog user. Maybe it gets better with Home, but probably not.

I feel like anything besides Thunder/Hurricane/Weather Ball/Volt Switch (or Uturn) on a rain team just isn't doing it. And idk that that is, either. But I'll give it a whirl; why not

Thunder Bird

Moves:
Rain Dance
Thunder
Hurricane
Weather Ball

Set Details:
Feel like this will work well with Palafin and Dondozo since it sets them up and plus Kilowattrel is crazy fast.

With sandstorm being a wind move, wouldn't Kilowattrel run well with Sandstorm setup?
On cart, I haven't set up manual sandstrom against this thing, however I have never seen Wind Power interact with sandstorm, despite it being a wind move. I think that's why it has to specify tailwind, because sandstorm technically isnt a damaging move.

Have had some success with a boots pivot set with Tbolt/Hurricane/uturn/roost, which is good at pestering a lot of common mons like waters, Corviknight, Amoonguss. It doesn’t hit all that hard and can’t break e.g. Iron Treads, but it’s fast and flexible enough to not be a big issue. I think this will see usage if rain gets fleshed out as a strat, but even if not, I like how the bird plays. Will find a home somewhere, if not OU.

Any reason to not run Tailwind? I know it's frail, but there's talk here of Rain Dance, so I figure Tailwind instead (sash if you really think you need it): it helps the team (maybe speed up an edgequaker, given kilowattrel can't be hit by EQ), activates its own ability, and gives it powerful 150bp electro balls.

I finally get to use Zapdos in a lower tier!
But yeah, Kilowattrel is basically discount Zapdos.
One thing that Kilowattrel has is the combination of endeavor, speed, and frailty. One set I envision is:

Suicidal Zapdos
Ability: (You can make a good argument for all 3)
Item: Heavy Duty Boots/Focus Sash
Nature: Timid
EVs: (Sp. Att. 252) (Speed 252) (4 misc)
Tera: Elec

Moves:
Air Slash
Volt Switch
Endeavor
Tailwind

Kilowattrel needs its ability to give it more opportunities to come in safely. The set is mostly self explanatory. One thing Kilowattrel can do that Zapdos can't is endeavor, which goes well with a more suicidal playstyle, and works with its very high speed stat. Focus sash's value obviously depends on stealth rock vs its removal. Kilowattrel isn't really worth Tera, but if you do, electric is a good idea for boosted damage.

Rain sets can work, but I feel like you can get better mileage for your rain elsewhere.

And to be clear, Kilowattrel has no place in OU. This would be for a lower tier.

Last edited:
Kilowattrel @ Choice Specs
Ability: Competitive/Wind Power
Tera Type: Flying/Electric
EVs: 6 Def/252 SpA/252 Spe
Timid/Modest Nature
-Hurricane
-Thunder
-Weather Ball
-Volt Switch/U-turn

Kilowattrel is much more powerful than I envisioned. It outspeeds every pokemon in the game except Dragapult and Chien-Pao and can OHKO or 2ko the vast majority of pokemon. Most Ground types are taken care of with Weather Ball, and Thunder along with Hurricane hit very hard. Outside of rain on the other hand it is pretty unreliable.

Any reason to not run Tailwind? I know it's frail, but there's talk here of Rain Dance, so I figure Tailwind instead (sash if you really think you need it): it helps the team (maybe speed up an edgequaker, given kilowattrel can't be hit by EQ), activates its own ability, and gives it powerful 150bp electro balls.
Tailwind+Electro Ball+Wind Power is pretty powerful, even with only base 105 Special Attack it nukes late game. In the current metagame though Electric-type isn't a very good offensive type because of all the ground types around. Hurricane is also not really reliable outside of rain. Kilowattrel while very fast shouldn't be the Pokémon setting up Tailwind due to its fraily, and if running a focus sash is just too weak.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)